Forum: OFFSHORE FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: OT: Do any of you guys have experience with battery powered lawnmowers ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26  
    RX Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Joppa, MD
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Lanquel View Post
    The most urgent need for any electric lawnmower after having the battery pack warranty is a supply of fresh, sharp blades.

    Average blade should give a decent cut about six to seven times on an average sized suburban lawn

    .18 acre I would change blade after four mows....or less if your lawn is not sufficiently lush to keep the mower blade suction from pulling up sand or other soil which will dull the edge much faster

    So I suggest supplementing your electric mower purchase w at least three or more spare blades. As you attach the last fresh sharp blade, take the others to any local mower repair shop or neighbor w a grinder and get a new edge honed.

    Most lawn mower blades can be freshly honed three or four times before becoming too short in length. So one cycle of like five mows w *new* blade plus another 15-20 following sharpenings

    Failure to cut with a sharp blade slows the whole process and frankly leaves most any lawn looking more meager than when u started

    You should be able to get 20 to 25 hours cutting time on a blade.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #27  
    RX Senior Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,506
    What type of grass? I just dont see any scenario where the battery powered would be any equivalent to gas......especially for what you can purchase a decent one for these days
    Donít drink and drive...
    you might slice a hook!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #28  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,031
    I use a battery trimmer (Ryobi) - I've bought a few of them over the years, the technology changes (mostly the battery gets smaller and more powerful) - but the battery does die after a couple of years if you use it regularly.

    You can get a standard gas mower at Walmart (Target, HD, Lowes, etc) for less than $200 that will last 20 years. If you're not good at fixing a Briggs & Stratton engine just look on youtube and there are all sorts of tutorials on how to fix them....or find a repair guy (most will cost less than $75 to fix). I take my blade to be sharpened every two years and I've taken it to a repair guy once (I couldn't get the carburetor unclogged). I'd stay away from a $400 battery powered mower....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #29  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by pete7713 View Post
    You should be able to get 20 to 25 hours cutting time on a blade.

    Cut suburban lawns in N TX and central FL for 30 years thru 2015

    We found it best to change blade on a 22" mower every eight to ten lawns (approx 6 to 8 hrs) when cutting st augustine turf. Bahia and bermuda grass could go a bit more w lower wheel height but in Florida st aug was preferred by about 80% of our clients
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #30  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Lanquel View Post
    Cut suburban lawns in N TX and central FL for 30 years thru 2015

    We found it best to change blade on a 22" mower every eight to ten lawns (approx 6 to 8 hrs) when cutting st augustine turf. Bahia and bermuda grass could go a bit more w lower wheel height but in Florida st aug was preferred by about 80% of our clients
    Worth noting that in fact you can likely get a pretty decent cut for twice as long as we used them commerically...our motivation was to assuage the one client in ten who would complain if the st aug turf looked a bit choppy after an older blade was used
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #31  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachCB View Post
    I use a battery trimmer (Ryobi) - I've bought a few of them over the years, the technology changes (mostly the battery gets smaller and more powerful) - but the battery does die after a couple of years if you use it regularly.

    You can get a standard gas mower at Walmart (Target, HD, Lowes, etc) for less than $200 that will last 20 years. If you're not good at fixing a Briggs & Stratton engine just look on youtube and there are all sorts of tutorials on how to fix them....or find a repair guy (most will cost less than $75 to fix). I take my blade to be sharpened every two years and I've taken it to a repair guy once (I couldn't get the carburetor unclogged). I'd stay away from a $400 battery powered mower....
    One thing to keep in mind about the battery. It's not good to keep them on the charger after they are charged. It's very easy to just take it out when done and put it on the charger until next use, but that will decrease the life of the battery, same with laptops , cell phones etc etc.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #32  
    I'm on the TRAIN Desert Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The House of Heat
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about the battery. It's not good to keep them on the charger after they are charged. It's very easy to just take it out when done and put it on the charger until next use, but that will decrease the life of the battery, same with laptops , cell phones etc etc.
    Yup. I take them off the charger once they are charged 100%. That's probably why mine have lasted 5 years while others poop out much sooner.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #33  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Devil View Post
    Yup. I take them off and...... poop out much sooner.
    twss
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #34  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Posts
    2,806
    As always....we refuse to allow anything too serious to get going here
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #35  
    I'm on the TRAIN Desert Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The House of Heat
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Lanquel View Post
    As always....we refuse to allow anything too serious to get going here
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #36  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Devil View Post
    Both Pinellas (west side of TBay) and Hillsborough (for my biz, NW Tampa) have issued StayAtHome orders

    My sole proprietor model *can* legally keep working but I've informed next 7to10 days of job orders I am postponing and hanging at home

    Great time to reignite my forumville Senior membership
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #37  
    I'm on the TRAIN Desert Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The House of Heat
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Lanquel View Post
    Great time to legally reignite my forumville model job
    twss
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #38  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Devil View Post
    twss
    hey is my ol' pal CK ripe for taunting up the street or has his forum game expired?
    Don Trump is another Nixon.....if Nixon had 4th grade literacy, weighed 381 lbs, snorted amphetamines like Pez, consumed only pureed food & exhibited expanding symptoms of FTD
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #39  
    I'm on the TRAIN Desert Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The House of Heat
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Lanquel View Post
    hey is my ol' pal CK ripe for taunting up the street or has his forum game expired?
    Think he took his ball over to SBR. Been seeing a few posts from him over there lately.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #40  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    marlton,nj
    Posts
    2,099
    I have one but they don't do a good job on wet lawns. If the grass has any kind of moisture it clogs the blades. The motor isn't strong enough to keep turning like a gas powered mower. I have a Kobalt 40V mower. If you stick to staying on top of your lawn and cutting once a week in addition to not raining every other day it does the job. If you have gas mower you have to know how to service it and mix gas and oil. The battery powered though only last a couple of years are service free. I was paying a lawn service $1000 a season to cut my lawn. Now that I do it myself I have saved over $3000 the last three years. It doesn't look as good and does take an hour of my time but $3000 is $3000. The mower cost me around $350.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •