Fired Minneapolis officer arrested after death of George Floyd

Search

Tokens
Fired Minneapolis officer arrested after death of George Floyd

By Erin Donaghue
Updated on: May 29, 2020 / 1:34 PM / CBS News

Fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has been arrested days after George Floyd's fatal arrest that sparked protests and outcry across the city and nation.
John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, announced that Chauvin has been taken into custody in connection with the May 25 death.
The death of Floyd, who was seen on a disturbing video begging for air as Chauvin pressed his knee into his neck, drew outrage and protests across the Twin Cities.
Trending News

It's not clear what charges Chauvin may face. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, the charging authority, has scheduled a press conference at 1 p.m. local time concerning a "major development" in the case, reports CBS affiliate WCCO.

Tokens
This is being misreported.

The officer was taken into protective custody, not arrested.

Tokens
The riots in the street because of this atrocity aren't being misreported that's for sure!

For that matter, neither is Trump's response to it!!

Never bet against America.
Tokens
Bad cop. Training protocol needs to be scrutinized at this police department and reviewed nationwide as well. That ex-cop is in for a world of shit.

Life's a bitch, then you die!
Tokens
Bad cop. Training protocol needs to be scrutinized at this police department and reviewed nationwide as well. That ex-cop is in for a world of shit.
This doesn't pass the smell test. Something personal going on between Chauvin and Floyd.

Let's go Brandon!
Tokens
Its been reported Chauvin and Floyd worked security at the same time for a nightclub in Minneapolis, per the nightclub owner.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
pay your bills deadbeat, you're getting too fucking heavy to carry

Tokens
This doesn't pass the smell test. Something personal going on between Chauvin and Floyd.

I had thought the exact same thing. We’ll have to see what comes of the trial. It’s just sickening but police brutality is a thing that’s gone on since police departments came to exist I’m confidently assuming. But it does not speak for the vast majority of police officers. Being cocky and intimidating comes with the territory of that profession and that I understand. It’s those who cross the line that goes beyond practical training and taking matters personal that makes me sick. Those that do I just believe are a minority. Cops know who the bad cops are and they need to speak up but then again in a perfect world..

Tokens
I believe (dafinch), by his or her posts on this here great site, specifically, he or she be a ca

ca head, IMO! But, I also think that he or she got a High School diploma

caz they rock it out somewhat! Just my opinion!
azzkick(&^azzkick(&^azzkick(&^azzkick(&^

Tokens
Dafinch, I don't care if ur white, yellow, brown, red or black - Jayzus Christmas u are one ugly mother fucker - I guess you don't have to worry about the rogue cop stepping on ur neck because u have 5 chins serving as a buffer

Tokens
Dafinch, I don't care if ur white, yellow, brown, red or black - Jayzus Christmas u are one ugly mother fucker - I guess you don't have to worry about the rogue cop stepping on ur neck because u have 5 chins serving as a buffer

Damn

Tokens
c'mon man...tell us how you really feel

Tokens
A Tennessee police chief had a message for fellow law enforcement: turn in your badge if 'you don't have an issue' with George Floyd's death

INSIDERMay 30, 2020

David Roddy has been a member of the Chattanooga Police Department for 24 years.
@ChiefDavidRoddy

• After the video of George Floyd's arrest and his subsequent death went viral on Monday, a Tennessee police chief tweeted his thoughts on Wednesday.
  • David Roddy said that officers who don't have an issue with Floyd's arrest should turn in their badges.
  • His tweet has since gone viral with over 159,000 retweets and 623,000 likes.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
A Tennessee police chief by the name of David Roddy sent a message to his fellow officers on Twitter in response to the death of George Floyd.
On Wednesday, Chattanooga Police Department Chief David Roddy said police officers who didn't see an issue with the graphic video that showed former Minneapolis police officer David Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck as the 46-year-old repeatedly said, "I can't breathe," should quit the force.
"There is no need to see more video. There no need to wait to see how "it plays out". There is no need to put a knee on someone's neck for NINE minutes. There IS a need to DO something. If you wear a badge and you don't have an issue with this...turn it in," Roddy wrote.

There is no need to see more video. There no need to wait to see how “it plays out”. There is no need to put a knee on someone’s neck for NINE minutes. There IS a need to DO something. If you wear a badge and you don’t have an issue with this...turn it in.

Tokens
[h=1]Ex-Minneapolis cop told other officers 'you shouldn't do this' during George Floyd's arrest, lawyer says[/h]Doha Madani
NBC NewsJune 4, 2020, 1:45 PM PDT

cfadb811ee3e5a592b8199040633b327

Ex-Minneapolis cop told other officers 'you shouldn't do this' during George Floyd's arrest, lawyer saysOne of the four former Minneapolis officers charged in George Floyd’s death tried to warn his fellow officers during the arrest, his attorney claimed in court Thursday.
J. Alexander Kueng hadn’t yet completed his third full shift as a police officer when the deadly arrest occurred, his attorney Tom Plunkett claimed. Plunkett says Kueng allegedly told his fellow officers as they were detaining Floyd, “You shouldn’t do that."
Kueng was in court on Thursday along with former officers Tou Thao and Thomas Lane after being charged on Wednesday with aiding and abetting murder, as well as aiding and abetting manslaughter, in the case. A fourth officer, Derek Chauvin, was charged with second-degree murder after video showed Chauvin placed his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes while detaining him on May 25.
Thomas Kiernan Lane, Alexander Kueng, and Tou Nmn Thao. (Hennepin County Sheriff)Lane was also new to the job, only on the force for four days when the incident occurred, his attorney Earl Gray claimed. His lawyer said that Lane twice asked Chauvin, a training officer, “Shall we roll him over?” He also expressed concern that Floyd may be in “delirium.”
“What is my client supposed to do other than follow what the training officer said?” Gray said in court.
A judge ordered Kueng, Lane and Thao each an unconditional bail of $1 million compounded with $750,000 of conditional bail. No pleas were entered.
All four of the former officers face a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison, according to the criminal complaints.
Multiple videos have been released on Floyd’s arrest, with one showing him pinned down by three different officers near a patrol car while a fourth stands near his head.
"Please, please, please, I can't breathe," Floyd begged in one video caught by a bystander. "My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Please, please. I can't breathe."

Lane and Kueng were the first officers to arrive at the scene that night, as they investigated a report that a possible counterfeit $20 bill had been passed at the Cup Foods grocery store, according to the complaint against Chauvin. When Lane found Floyd parked nearby, the officer pulled his gun, had Floyd get out of his car and handcuffed him, the complaint said.
A cuffed Floyd was eventually put face-down on the pavement with Kueng holding down his back and Lane pressing down his legs, the charging document against Chauvin said. While a distressed Floyd said “I can’t breathe,” “Mama” and “please” several times, Lane asked, “Should we roll him on his side?”
“No, staying put where we got him,” Chauvin responded, according to the complaint. “I am worried about excited delirium or whatever,” Lane allegedly said. “That’s why we have him on his stomach,” Chauvin responded, according to the complaint.
The official autopsy from the Hennepin County medical examiner listed Floyd's cause of death as a "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression."
The medical examiner ruled that Floyd's death was a homicide, but added that he had "significant" underlying conditions, including hypertensive heart disease, fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use.
But an examination funded by Floyd’s family reached a somewhat different conclusion. It found that police officers' pressing on his neck and body cut blood and air flow to his brain, causing him to die by mechanical asphyxia, pathologists hired by the family said.
Chauvin was initially charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter last week, but Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison elevated the prosecutorial case by adding a second-degree murder charge on Wednesday. Ellison said his team will assert that Chauvin committed a felony assault which unintentionally resulted in Floyd's death, which fits the requirements for second-degree murder.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
She is admitting that the level of fentanyl and meth in George Floyd's body could have been enough to kill him.
safe_image.php

https://www.westernjournal.com/fore...tEzY45ne6ZfQH1pvLmj-vpL1Pi8GyN1E2kjzljJMBDrSA

And that's the gorilla in the room CREATED BY IGNORANT DEMOCRATS USING THIS TRAGEDY FOR POLITICAL GAIN

Chauvin's behavior was inhumane and he deserves jail time. But if he's not convicted of murder other people are going to die because of libtard nation

Then they'll be more unpunished looting in those affluent democratic cities

Tokens
And that's the gorilla in the room CREATED BY IGNORANT DEMOCRATS USING THIS TRAGEDY FOR POLITICAL GAIN

Chauvin's behavior was inhumane and he deserves jail time. But if he's not convicted of murder other people are going to die because of libtard nation

Then they'll be more unpunished looting in those affluent democratic cities

Hmmmm, I guess you "overlooked" this part, huh, you "oversold,' always wrong cocksucker, including the woman you showed saying:

Thomas explained the technical wording of the medical examiner's finding in the cause of death, saying, "What it means to me is that the activities of the law enforcement officers resulted in Mr. Floyd's death. And that specifically those activities were the subdual, the restraint and the neck compression."
The medical analysis is important to the prosecution's case that Chauvin was a substantial cause of Floyd's death when he put his body weight on Floyd's neck and back for over nine minutes -- causing death by "positional asphyxia."
Thomas -- who has reviewed various records, including the medical examiner's autopsy -- agreed with Baker's finding in the cause of death, adding she believed the "primary mechanism of death is asphyxia or low oxygen."

[h=2]Heart Disease, Fentanyl Contributed to George Floyd’s Death But Were Not Main Cause, Medical Examiner Says[/h] CNN | April 10, 2021 10:13 am

Crucial testimony is expected April 9, 2021 when the medical examiner who performed George Floyd’s autopsy takes the stand. Defense attorney Eric Nelson, left, and defendant former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin are seen during the trial proceedings on April 8, 2021. (CNN Pool)

(CNN) -- George Floyd's heart disease and use of fentanyl were contributing factors to his death, but they were not the direct cause, the medical examiner who performed his autopsy testified on Friday in the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin.
Hennepin County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Andrew Baker ruled Floyd's death last May a homicide and identified the cause as "cardiopulmonary arrest" that occurred during "law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression" -- all findings he stood by in court on Friday.
Asked about the autopsy and Floyd's death certificate, Baker described the "top line of the cause of death" as "what you think is the most important thing that precipitated the death."
"Other things that you think played a role in the death but were not direct causes get relegated to what's known as the 'other significant conditions' part of the death certificate," he said. "For example, you know, Mr. Floyd's use of fentanyl did not cause the subdual or neck restraint. His heart disease did not cause the subdual or the neck restraint."
Floyd had hypertensive heart disease, Baker said, "meaning his heart weighed more than it should." This meant Floyd's heart needed more oxygen than a normal heart and was "limited in its ability" to provide more oxygen when there was a demand for it.
In the midst of an altercation and being held to the ground, adrenaline would pour into the body, Baker said, making the heart beat faster.
"In my opinion, the law enforcement subdual, restraint and the neck compression was just more than Mr. Floyd could take by virtue of those heart conditions," he said.
Chauvin's defense attorney, Eric Nelson, has argued that Floyd died as a result of drugs and preexisting health conditions. And under cross examination, Baker said he believed those factors played a role.
"So in your opinion," Nelson asked, "both the heart disease as well as the history of hypertension and the drugs that were in his system played a role in Mr. Floyd's death?"
"In my opinion, yes," Baker said.
But Baker reiterated he stood by the cause of death he wrote on Floyd's death certificate and his finding Floyd's death was a homicide, which to a medical examiner means his death was caused by another person and does not necessarily indicate guilt.
"Yes, I would still classify it as homicide today," he said.
Baker's testimony came on the 10th day of Chauvin's trial, as the prosecution nears the end of its case. Friday was the culmination of a week filled with expert testimony by not only medical experts, but also policing experts who testified Chauvin violated policy and used excessive force on Floyd.
Chauvin has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, third-degree murder and third-degree manslaughter charges.
Related: Follow live updates
[h=3]Asphyxia, low oxygen was 'primary mechanism' in Floyd's death, expert says[/h] The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's official autopsy made no mention of asphyxiation as a cause of death, which has been a key pillar of prosecutors' case. In contrast, an independent autopsy commissioned by Floyd's family said he died of "asphyxiation from sustained pressure" when his neck and back were compressed by officers, cutting off the blood flow to his brain.
Baker did not watch any videos of Floyd's death prior to performing the autopsy, though he said he was aware of at least one viral video.
"But I intentionally chose not to look at that until I had examined Mr. Floyd," he said. "I did not want to bias my exam by going in with preconceived notions that might lead me down one pathway or another."
Baker said he "conveyed" to county prosecutors soon after the autopsy the "lack of anatomical findings" that would support the conclusion Floyd died of asphyxiation. After seeing the video, Baker said, in his opinion, the placement of Chauvin's knee would not cut off Floyd's airway.
Baker was preceded by forensic pathologist Dr. Lindsey Thomas, who has worked as a medical examiner herself, including in the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office, and who was part of Baker's training.
Thomas explained the technical wording of the medical examiner's finding in the cause of death, saying, "What it means to me is that the activities of the law enforcement officers resulted in Mr. Floyd's death. And that specifically those activities were the subdual, the restraint and the neck compression."
The medical analysis is important to the prosecution's case that Chauvin was a substantial cause of Floyd's death when he put his body weight on Floyd's neck and back for over nine minutes -- causing death by "positional asphyxia."
Thomas -- who has reviewed various records, including the medical examiner's autopsy -- agreed with Baker's finding in the cause of death, adding she believed the "primary mechanism of death is asphyxia or low oxygen."
Because of the restraint and his position, she said, Floyd was "unable to get enough oxygen in" to support his body's functions.
"There's no evidence," she said, "to suggest he would have died that night except for the interactions with law enforcement."
Thomas' testimony aligned with a pulmonary critical care doctor who testified on Thursday that Floyd died from a "low level of oxygen" when Chauvin pinned him to the street with his knee, restricting Floyd's ability to breathe.
Floyd's preexisting health conditions and drug use were not relevant to his death, Dr. Martin Tobin said.
"A healthy person subjected to what Mr. Floyd was subjected to would have died," he said.
[h=3]Doctor rejects drug overdose[/h] Thomas said she would not have used the word "asphyxia" in Floyd's death certificate, saying it does not offer much additional information and requires more explanation. While a death by hanging is a type of asphyxial death, she explained, she wouldn't say "asphyxia due to hanging" -- she'd just say "hanging."
Additionally, Thomas said her review of the case, including the toxicology reports, allowed her to rule out other causes of death, including a drug overdose.
Floyd's death was not "sudden" like it would be with a methamphetamine overdose, she said. And it was not slow like one would see with fentanyl, where "the death is slow, it's peaceful, they fall asleep."
During her testimony, Thomas underscored the importance of the video evidence in reaching her conclusions, saying she would usually simply review a medical examiner's case file that would tell her about the cause and manner of death.
"But in this case, the autopsy itself didn't tell me the cause and manner of death," Thomas said. "And it really required getting all of this other additional information, specifically the video evidence of the terminal events, to conclude the cause of death and the manner of death."
Thomas and the jury reviewed photos of Floyd's injuries, including those she described as "superficial injuries" to his face, shoulders and wrists that support what she saw in the videos of his death: that Floyd was trying to push his body into a position where he could breathe.
Among the photos were pictures of Floyd's face, with scrapes over his left eyebrow and on his left cheek, according to a report from one of the reporters inside the courtroom. Other photos showed a large abrasion on Floyd's left shoulder that was evidence, Thomas said, of Floyd trying to push himself up.
Jurors appeared "relatively well-engaged" during Thomas's testimony, according to reports from two courtroom pool reporters. When she said she believed asphyxia or low oxygen was the "primary mechanism" of Floyd's death, "nearly all jurors were seen writing this down."
One pool reporter observed all jurors looking through the photos. Some were seen "flipping ahead looking at all the images."
[h=3]Juror questioned about outside influences[/h] One of the jurors was questioned Friday morning by Judge Peter Cahill about "some concerns expressed" over outside influences, per the reports from two reporters inside the courtroom.
Before testimony began, the woman juror told the judge she had "turned on a television and briefly saw coverage" and "saw an image of the courtroom with a woman with dark hair." Her volume was off, the woman said, and she quickly turned off the TV, the reports said.
The judge also asked the woman if she'd had contact with any family members about the case. The woman said a relative texted her but she said she did not respond, the reports said.
"Any book deal in the works?" Judge Cahill asked.
"The woman became slightly flustered or surprised," one report said.
"No, I don't know how this case is going to go," she said, reiterating she hasn't talked to anyone about the trial.
Judge Cahill asked if attorneys wanted to make any motions after the woman left the courtroom. Defense attorney Eric Nelson declined. Prosecutor Steve Schleicher said he would like the record to note the woman's demeanor. Judge Cahill noted the woman seemed "surprised."
Jurors are released each day with instruction to avoid media coverage and to report to the court any efforts to contact them. This is to keep jurors free from outside influence that could impact deliberations and the outcome of the case.
Two men initially selected to be on the jury were excused after they told the court that news of Minneapolis's $27 million settlement with Floyd's estate affected their ability to be impartial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb52197
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com