After Drew Brees backlash, the NFL must finally figure out how to handle kneeling protests

Search

Tokens
[h=1]After Drew Brees backlash, the NFL must finally figure out how to handle kneeling protests[/h] Dan WetzelColumnist
Yahoo SportsJune 4, 2020, 5:01 PM UTC

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/after-...w-to-handle-kneeling-protests-170129372.html#

https://www.tumblr.com/widgets/shar...ly figure out how to handle kneeling protestshttps://www.facebook.com/dialog/fee...ndle-kneeling-protests-170129372.html&tsrc=fbhttps://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...le-kneeling-protests-170129372.html&tsrc=twtrOn Wednesday, citing two grandfathers who fought in World War II, New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees said that even in wake of the death of African American George Floyd, an incident in which a former Minneapolis police officer is facing second-degree murder charges, he opposed any player kneeling during the pregame national anthem“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country,” Brees told Yahoo Finance’s Daniel Roberts.

He was immediately ripped by teammates, opponents, other athletes, entertainers and even plenty of fans. By Thursday, Brees apologized.

“In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country,” Brees wrote in a statement released on social media. “They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy.”
It’s the latest sign that while 2016 wasn’t that long ago ... it sure feels that way.
The NFL was caught flatfooted when Colin Kaepernick first took a knee to protest social injustice and police brutality. The league never found a coherent strategy to handle it, became an easy applause line for Donald Trump and lost fans in the fallout.
Now here comes the return of its worst (and most unresolved) nightmare. Only this time, with seemingly different rules of engagement.

What Brees said on Wednesday wasn’t much different than what he said in 2016.

“I wholeheartedly disagree [with the kneeling],” Brees told ESPN then. “... There’s plenty of other ways that you can [protest] in a peaceful manner that doesn’t involve being disrespectful to the American flag.”
A lot of players shared similar sentiments, including African American players. There was little to no backlash from their peers. It was rare for more than a few players of any color on a single team to take a knee.
That even included when, in 2017, Trump called any kneeling player a “son of a bitch” and elicited the most unified response. Even team owners, many of whom are donors and supporters of Trump, linked arms with players or briefly kneeled in a show of solidarity.
Yet in the first game played after those comments — a Jacksonville-Baltimore clash in London — just 14 Jaguars and about 10 Ravens took a knee. The reasons not to kneel were nuanced, personal and thoughtful.
Telvin Smith of the Jags said since the game was being played on foreign soil, it didn’t feel right. Teammate Marcedes Lewis said he struggled with it because his stepfather was in the military and earned a Purple Heart.
Everyone seemed to understand. Or at least no one was shouting them down.
Now?
Times change. Societies change. Generally, it’s the young who lead the way and the NFL is forever young. The average age of opening day rosters in 2019 ranged from to 25.2 (Miami) to 27 (New England). So many players in the 2020 season will have experienced Kaepernick, and the fallout from him, as college or even high school students.
Those who fight for social change are often extremely unpopular in the moment. New generations tend to bring sweeping change.
A 1966 Gallup poll found 63 percent of Americans had a negative opinion of Dr. Martin Luther King. By 1983, he joined George Washington as the only person to have a federal holiday celebrating his birth (and Washington’s is mostly referred to as “Presidents’ Day”). In 2011, Gallup found 94 percent of Americans viewed King positively.
History will almost assuredly side with Kaepernick. This is an early sign of that. Even young, white, franchise quarterbacks — generally the least likely to take political stands — have come out with forceful statements. Joe Burrow, Carson Wentz, Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill and so on have not just condemned Floyd’s murder but cited the need for wholesale change.

The tide of history is already turning toward Colin Kaepernick's cause. (Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images)“For years, we have all been taught to ‘just stay out of politics [when one side is so far one way and the other side is far the other],’” wrote Las Vegas’ Derek Carr, equating standing up now to his tradition of being public with his faith. “I felt in my heart this was the right moment to speak up, to not care so much about politics but instead speak truth.”
What passed for reasonable disagreement within the team structure three or four years ago may not anymore. Kaepernick always maintained the protest has nothing to do with the military. The American flag, after all, represents the entire country and all its citizens, not just soldiers. Military branches have their own flags.
The response to Brees was both historically informative — noting that many African Americans fought for America only to return to discrimination — and a swift effort to not allow the topic to be marginalized as “anti-military.”
Brees quickly apologized. Is that the end? Will NFL locker rooms need to be unified or risk splintering? Will everyone need to agree, or at least not voice dissent? Will emotional, hash-it-out, sessions become part of training camp schedules?
Will kneeling protests, if they return, feature a majority of players, or even all of them? Will it be a white quarterback — who, unfortunately, can still have outsized influence compared to an African American teammate — that leads this time?
There are still a lot of fans out there who agree with Drew Brees. There is still Trump, heading into a presidential election season.
This is the new reality for an old situation that the NFL, from its central office to its owners suites to its individual meeting rooms, has to finally figure out how to navigate.
The league may have changed a lot in the last few years.
Has America?

Tokens
Real fucking easy solution, just leave the teams in the locker room for the anthem like they have for DECADES prior to 2009.

Tokens
Real fucking easy solution, just leave the teams in the locker room for the anthem like they have for DECADES prior to 2009.

Nah, I'd rather watch multi million dollar athletes tell me how unjust society is.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
Why do some people think they never have to pay their bills?

Tokens
As I just said in another thread, why not just eliminate playing the Anthem all together as it serves no purpose relative to the players and assembly of fans

to the game itself.

I don't recall it being played in doctor's office, in hospitals, prior to when a doctor is about to perform heart surgery, when a supermarket opens up

each day and all cashiers, employees and people in the store are required to stand up, and on and on and on.

Is it played where you work at the beginning of each day, and should it be if it is not?

I'm from the government and I'm here to help
Tokens
eliminate the anthem, remove all American flags from public places, take down monuments related to soliders/sailors/revolutionaries and do whatever else the clueless rioters and sickfuck BLMers want

yeah, that's smart thinking

Never bet against America.
Tokens
Probably because theyve been on govt tit since they were born.....

And shamefully won’t admit it. Would rather lie about being wealthy and when the invoice comes to pay on their word they bail for some reason.

Tokens
eliminate the anthem, remove all American flags from public places, take down monuments related to soliders/sailors/revolutionaries and do whatever else the clueless rioters and sickfuck BLMers want

yeah, that's smart thinking

No one said eliminate the anthem. And yes, they should tear down every fucking confederate statue and monument. THEY LOST.

We dont have any statues of George III after winning the revolutionary war. Why the fuck would we celebrate the confederate army.

Rx. Senior
Tokens
Put Safe Spaces in NFL stadiums for all the fans who get upset at the image of a player taking a knee. Problem solved.

Tokens
No one said eliminate the anthem. And yes, they should tear down every fucking confederate statue and monument. THEY LOST.

We dont have any statues of George III after winning the revolutionary war. Why the fuck would we celebrate the confederate army.

Confederate? Wtf u talking about? U little antifa waanabe anarchists defaced every monument in DC, the doughbouy ww1 and Mario lemieux statutes in PGH....

Those are Confederate? And that's the problem with u creeps. Start pulling down one thing u disagree with them the rest get painted with hammers and sickles.

Not long b4 Jefferson n Washington monument are bulldozed

Rx. Senior
Tokens
Confederate? Wtf u talking about? U little antifa waanabe anarchists defaced every monument in DC, the doughbouy ww1 and Mario lemieux statutes in PGH....

Those are Confederate? And that's the problem with u creeps. Start pulling down one thing u disagree with them the rest get painted with hammers and sickles.

Not long b4 Jefferson n Washington monument are bulldozed

Did the police make any arrests related to this vandalism and destruction? Or were most all of their thousands of protest related arrests for complete bullshit, like "resisting", "breach of peace", "failure to disperse"?

Tokens
Did the police make any arrests related to this vandalism and destruction? Or were most all of their thousands of protest related arrests for complete bullshit, like "resisting", "breach of peace", "failure to disperse"?
plenty of arrests for stealing out of stores with one on charged federally (some 20YO little bitch that still lives at home and works PT at amazon) but they've supposedly not found the specific folks that wrecked Doughboy in Lawrenceville, the Mario statue outside of the arena, or Soldiers n Sailors. The Doughboy was done on Memorial Day, the 99th anniversary of it's debut, so wasn't a post-Minny episode and thus should be easier to find the painter.

Then again Doughboy probably had an Instagram note from 102 years ago that one of you Leftists didn't like so he probably deserved the red paint. And of course Mario is a white French-Canadian so that's not cool....definitely paint him up as he's never achieved anything of note nor done something for Pittsburgh to be appreciate of....

All sounds like stuff you'd appreciate so hopefully I made your day, Comrade

Nirvana Shill
Tokens

Not a solution at all...Why are these prima donnas exempt from honoring the flag ?

Tokens
Texas Ranger statue removed from Dallas airport today... phew, i feel so much better

I say pull all police and soldier statues down and replace them with one of a 140lb he/she with skinny jeans, an Uber driver badge, and an ironic t-shirt taking a selfie while taping a Tik-Tok video.

Tokens
If the NFL insists in playing the National Anthem before games, imo the players should not only be allowed to kneel but to also put headphones on and play some

other kind of music for the duration.

Tokens
So Dafinch... I have permission to post EVERYTHING ive claimed about you?

Your court cases where you sue bill collectors for trying to collect, sue utility companies for violating your "Civil Rights" when you dont pay your bills, for wanting to shut them off cause you are black?

The paperwork filed with the states you stole two houses from veterans?

You arrest warrant out of the City of Henderson?

Your far below average Credit Score?

Your telephone number and address?

And its a picture of you.... cause you know you cant prove it isnt, thats why you wont post a picture of you holding a Spoon in one hand, and a hammer (or other tool) in the other to prove it isnt. Cause it would be the same person.

And, I dont think you know what the definition of "WELCH" is, since you have a below average IQ (like your credit score) that isnt a surprise.

Your birthday just passed this march huh?? Happy 68th birthday!!.... thats a milestone, you are older than your IQ!!! Congrats again!

Should I change my avatar to a picture of your wife instead? Or maybe your mother Florine?

Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter
Black Leaches Matter

Tokens
Twittler is losing friends-and supporters-in truckloads, lol.

[h=1]President Donald Trump questions NFL, Roger Goodell after commissioner's 'Black Lives Matter' statement[/h]

Jack Baer Writer, [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/"]Yahoo Sports•June 7, 2020
[/URL]

President Donald Trump has volleyed his inevitable response to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for a statement pronouncing Black Lives Matter and admitting the league was “wrong” in its handling of player protests.
Late Sunday night, the president took to Twitter and questioned Goodell’s statement, specifically asking if it meant that the league would allow players to protest during the national anthem. Calling the practice “disrespecting” toward the U.S. and its flag in the tweet, the president has long been critical of the protests used by players to peacefully call out racial inequality and police brutality in America.
The president also felt the need to elaborate on the word “kneel,” spelled out in all caps, adding “not to stand.”
Trump’s question had essentially been asked and answered in Goodell’s statement, in which the commissioner said the NFL would “encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest.”
[h=2]What Roger Goodell said about racism and player protests[/h]Goodell released the statement on Friday:
“We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” Goodell said. “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest.
“We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter. I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country. Without black players, there would be no National Football League. And the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff.”

alphatar_50x50_E_jl.jpg

Tokens
Flags are blowing in the direction of social change, so the money-driven NFL appears to be following

Dan Wetzel Columnist, Yahoo Sports Jun 6, 2020, 9:33 AM

The NFL rarely does a damn thing unless it can profit off of it.
This is a league, after all, that once charged the Department of Defense $5 million to stage patriotic tributes to soldiers during timeouts. And while no one is questioning that it was opposed to breast cancer when it made the players add pink to their uniforms, the benefits of marketing the sport to women was lost on no one.
You have to appreciate the hustle. These team owners didn’t get that rich by accident.
So on Friday afternoon, when Roger Goodell, commissioner of a league that is unapologetically about cutthroats and bottom lines, actually released an apology video for not supporting the players, including during past protests that adversely affected revenue, it was no normal corporate statement.
“We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest,” Goodell said. “We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter. I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country.”
Does the league actually mean this? Goodell is the franchise owners’ mouthpiece but he’s still just a mouthpiece. Jerry Jones wasn’t in that video. Robert Kraft wasn’t in that video.
If the NFL is serious, however, then this wasn’t just a response to a group of players who sought those exact words and it wasn’t just a rebuttal to Donald Trump, who has already returned to bashing protests during the pregame anthem.
If this is real, then it’s a clear sign that the NFL believes public sentiment on the issue of anthem protests specifically and social justice in general has dramatically shifted. This isn’t the NFL leading. The NFL never leads. This is the NFL following where it believes the money will be, if not immediately, then over the next couple of decades.
Flags, American or otherwise, tend to show which way the wind is blowing.
In 2016, when Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the anthem, the league was caught flat-footed. It never could come up with a viable response.
Undoubtedly plenty of team owners agreed with Trump when he started wailing on the protesting players (“son of a bitch!”) and the compliant league (“weak!”) as a wedge-issue applause-line. (None of the team owners signed Kaepernick once he parted from San Francisco following the 2016 season, after all.)
They may have agreed with Trump, but they hated his ability to mess with their money.
And mess he did. TV ratings fell. Boos rained down on the sideline. Pro football was a political piñata. By 2017, some fans hated them for not employing Kap, others for ever employing him in the first place.
The NFL tried to play to both sides, funding (and even participating in) admirable and granular initiatives with the Players Coalition, such as bail reform and juvenile sentencing standards. It also doubled down on military tributes (for free this time) and Americana.
By trying to straddle the middle of the road, the NFL found itself getting hit coming and going once this flared up again.
That was then. Now feels different. Oh, there remains plenty of opposition to anthem protests and plenty of support for Trump. Even down in the polls, he’s got 40-something percent of the country on his side. A lot of them are NFL customers.
Those who support the protests, however, are aggressively countering the narrative that they are anti-flag or anti-military. The flag, after all, represents all Americans, not just the troops. And part of what has always made America great is the ability to peacefully protest.
You can be — and should be — pro-military and still see the need for social justice.
“Through my ongoing conversations with friends, teammates, and leaders in the black community, I realize this is not an issue about the American flag. It has never been,” New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees wrote to Trump on Friday.
Brees started the week opposed to anthem protests, but flipped after much backlash and dialogue. By Friday he was on social media trying to explain the issue to Trump.
“We can no longer use the flag to turn people away or distract them from the real issues that face our black communities,” Brees wrote.
How many more Americans are there like Brees, seeing the issue from a new perspective after a Minneapolis police officer was charged with murdering African American George Floyd by literally leaning on his neck?
The NFL seems to think that number is the majority, or at least headed that way. Or maybe more specifically, that number includes people the NFL believes will be its most valued customers going forward.
Roger Goodell's video Friday night was a strong hint at how the NFL is reacting to protests and calls for social change this time around. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Societies change. Generations fade. History is going to find Kapernick as a hero, no matter how much his current critics might not believe it. It’s how these things work. At the time of his death in 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King was, according to Gallup polling, the most hated man in the country, with two-thirds of Americans viewing him unfavorably. Fifteen years later he had a national holiday named after him. These days, his approval is over 95 percent.
King and Kaepernick are different people, in different times dealing with different circumstances. But this is how it goes. Always. Muhammad Ali. Jim Brown. Tommie Smith and John Carlos. And so on.
The NFL may serve as proof it’s coming sooner than anyone expected. This league market tests everything. Focus groups everything. Polls everything. This is not an operation that makes emotional decisions.
Unless Goodell went rogue on Friday, the NFL is siding with its players and those inclined to protest because it knows it’ll be good for business.
In the short term? Probably not.
If Trump makes a big deal of this, as you might expect he will, then there will be enough football fans triggered by the sight of a kneeling player to go cancel culture on the NFL. Ratings will dip. Some tickets will be returned (which will be less noticeable, of course, during a pandemic with limited capacity at stadiums). Some will swear off football and actually stick with it.
That is their right.
The NFL, though, appears to be saying that the future is here and the money is with the future.
Because while Goodell said a lot on Friday, with the NFL, it’s the money that always talks.

Tokens
So Dafinch.... I have permission to post EVERYTHING ive claimed about you?

Your court cases where you sue bill collectors for trying to collect, sue utility companies for violating your "Civil Rights" when you dont pay your bills, for wanting to shut them off cause you are black?

The paperwork filed with the states you stole two houses from veterans?

You arrest warrant out of the City of Henderson?

Your far below average Credit Score?

Your telephone number and address?

And its a picture of you.... cause you know you cant prove it isnt, thats why you wont post a picture of you holding a Spoon in one hand, and a hammer (or other tool) in the other to prove it isnt. Cause it would be the same person.

And, I dont think you know what the definition of "WELCH" is, since you have a below average IQ (like your credit score) that isnt a surprise.

Your birthday just passed this march huh?? Happy 68th birthday!!.... thats a milestone, you are older than your IQ!!! Congrats again!

Should I change my avatar to a picture of your wife instead? Or maybe your mother Florine?

Black Leaches Matter, Black Leaches Matter, Black Leaches Matter!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com