Saturday Service Play Thread 07/18/2020

Search

Let's go Brandon!
Tokens
Please remember, this forum is not here for regular posters who cap their own games to post their daily plays. Please use our individual sport forums to post your plays. Professional cappers (those that sell plays) must remain in the Site Promotion Forum.

Please do not post Twitter plays or forum member plays in this thread.

Do Not Post these Services

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal] SportsLine
Doc's Sports
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Robert Ferringo
Raphael Esparza
[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Indian Cowboy[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Tony George[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Scott Spreitzer[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Vernon Croy[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Alan Harris[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Mike Davis[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Allen East Man
Jason Sharpe
[/FONT]

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Strike Point Sports[/FONT]

Do not post write-ups ...
AJ Apollo
Alex Smart
@ntonwins
Apple Handicappers
ASA, ASA Inc’s or American Sports Analysts
ATS Consultants
ATSadv ice.com
Ben Lewis
Brandon Lang's Crew
Bruce Marshall
Chris Jordan's Crew
Dave Cokin
Dennis Hill
Dennis Macklin
Dr. Bob Sports
Dr. guru sports
EZ Winners
Fairway Jayr
Fred Wallin
Gametimereport
Greg DiPalma
Hittingpaydirt
JB Sports
Jim Avery
Jim Kruger
Jorge Gonzalez
Ken Jenkins
Killersportslive
Larry Ness
Lenny Delgenio
LT Profits
Lucky Lester
Madduxsports
Marc Lawrence/Playbook
Matt Fargo
Mike Lineback
Mike Rose
Pacific (Pac Star) Sports
PayneInsider
Paul Stone
Peter Gold at VI
Pick Nation Crew
PlusLineSports
Pointwise Sports
PowerPlay Wins
Preferred Picks
Pregame
Pro Sports Info
Red Zone Sports
Right Angle Sports (RAS)
Rocky Atkinson
Ron Raymond
Ross Benjamin
Sal Bansa/sportspicks1019
Scott Spreitzer
Sixth Sense Sports
Sports Memo Crew
Steve Merril SportsAlatex Sports
Stevo Design Inc. All services
Ted Sevransky/Teddy Covers
Tennessee Valley Sports
THELOCKOFTHEDAY
The Prez
The Real Animal
Tony George
Tony Karpinski/3G-Sports
Tom Stryker
Trushel Sports Consulting
Vegasadvisor s.com
Vernon Croy
Winning Points/Sports

Tokens
Dr Post Looms Threat to Authentic in Haskell

July 15, 2020 | By Jon White

Coming off his first defeat when second in the Grade I Santa Anita Derby on June 6, Authentic seeks to regain his winning ways in Saturday’s Grade I Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park. The 1 1/8-mile affair has attracted a field of seven.

Monmouth oddsmaker Brad Thomas has installed Authentic as the Haskell morning-line favorite at 4-5. Dr Post is the 5-2 second choice. Ny Traffic is 7-2. The others are 15-1 or higher.

When it came to the 1 1/8-mile Santa Anita Derby, I went with my gut and picked Honor A.P. to win. I did that even though Honor A.P. had finished second to Authentic in Santa Anita’s Grade II San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on March 7.

I was glad that I went with my gut. Honor A.P. won the Santa Anita Derby by 2 1/4 lengths at 2-1. Authentic finished second as the 1-2 favorite.

I might be sorry this time, but I am going with my gut again by picking Dr Post to win the Haskell.

Here are my Haskell selections:

1. Dr Post
2. Authentic
3. Ny Traffic
4. Jesus’ Team

Hall of Famer Bob Baffert trains Authentic. Because I’m not picking Baffert to win Saturday’s Haskell, I can’t blame you for thinking that I should be fitted for one of those jackets with the sleeves in the back. After all, Baffert has won the Haskell a record eight times.

Baffert’s Haskell winners are listed below:

2015 American Pharoah
2014 Bayern
2012 Paynter
2011 Coil
2010 Lookin At Lucky
2005 Roman Ruler
2002 War Emblem
2001 Point Given

Even though Baffert has won the Haskell eight times, it’s not the stakes race that he has dominated the most.

No trainer has dominated any of this country’s current Grade I races to such an extent as Baffert with his 14 Del Mar Futurity wins.

According to my research, fellow Hall of Famers D. Wayne Lukas and Whittingham are the two trainers closest to Baffert in terms of dominating any of this country’s current Grade I races.

Lukas has won both the Grade I Del Mar Debutante and Grade I Chandelier Stakes (formerly Oak Leaf Stakes) at Santa Anita nine times. Whittingham won the Santa Anita Handicap nine times.

If I am not going with Baffert to win Saturday’s Haskell, Todd Pletcher -- who undoubtedly will be joining Baffert in the Hall of Fame next year -- would seem a good way to go. Pletcher has won the Haskell three times.

Pletcher’s Haskell winners are listed below:

2013 Verrazano
2007 Any Given Saturday
2006 Bluegrass Cat

Authentic, who has won three of four career starts, most likely will go immediately to the front Saturday. It appears to me that he has a very good chance to be able to set an uncontested early pace. If that does happen, it will be a tall order for anyone to catch him.

Then why in the heck am I picking Dr Post to win?

Well, as I said, I just have a gut feeling that Dr Post can do it. I’m also inclined to go ahead and go with Dr Post to win the race because he definitely will be a better price in the betting than Authentic.

As for Authentic, another plus is the Kentucky-bred Into Mischief colt will be ridden by Hall of Famer Mike Smith. It’s always a good thing to have Smith as your jockey in a lucrative race like the $1 million Haskell. They don’t call him “Big Money Mike Smith” for nothing.

Smith has two Haskell wins to his credit -- Holy Bull in 1994 and Coronado’s Quest in 1998.

But I have no problem whatsoever with Dr Post’s pilot, Joe Bravo. Though it’s true that his only Haskell victory came aboard Lion Heart in 2004, Bravo has won a zillion races at Monmouth through the years. They don’t call him “Jersey Joe Bravo” for nothing.

I was impressed with Dr Post’s 2020 debut in which he recorded a 96 Beyer Speed Figure when won a seven-furlong maiden special weight race at Gulfstream Park on March 29.

I also was impressed when Dr Post won the 1 1/16-mile Unbridled Stakes at Gulfstream on April 25. His Beyer in the Unbridled dropped to an 86, but I liked the way the Kentucky-bred Quality Road colt got the job done despite not having the best of trips.

In Dr. Post’s most recent appearance under silks, he finished second at 7-1 behind odds-on favorite Tiz the Law in the Grade I Belmont Stakes at 1 1/8 miles on June 20. I thought that was a fine effort on the part of Dr Post inasmuch as it was just his fourth career start.

While I have much respect for Authentic, I have a gut feeling that we might not have seen the best from Dr Post yet. I think there is a possibility that Dr Post will go out there and run even better in the Haskell than he did in the Belmont.

Ny Traffic, trained by Saffie Joseph Jr., could have a big say in the Haskell. He’s been knocking on the door in graded stakes races.

A New York-bred Cross Traffic colt, Ny Traffic finished third behind Modernist and Major Fed in a division of the Grade II Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots on Feb. 15.

Ny Traffic then ran second in the Grade II Louisiana Derby on March 21. Wells Bayou won that race.

Most recently, Ny Traffic finished second to Maxfield in the Grade III Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs on May 23.

ART COLLECTOR CONTINUES RISE WITH BLUE GRASS WIN

After winning last Saturday’s Grade II Blue Grass Stakes by 3 1/2 lengths, Art Collector rises to No. 3 on my Kentucky Derby Top 10 this week after being No. 9 last week.

Here is my current Kentucky Derby Top 10:

1. Honor A.P.
2. Tiz the Law
3. Art Collector
4. Authentic
5. Dr Post
6. Uncle Chuck
7. Cezanne
8. Max Player
9. King Guillermo
10. Rushie

My Kentucky Derby rankings also appear weekly in the Friday edition of John Cherwa’s Los Angeles Times horse racing newsletter. Normally, the Top 10 for the newsletter is identical to my Top 10 for Xpressbet.com. But this might not be the case this week. That’s because someone from Thursday’s Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont Park could make their way onto my Top 10 for Friday’s newsletter.

The Blue Grass was Art Collector’s first stakes victory. He’s now three for three in 2020. Prior to the Blue Grass, the Kentucky-bred Bernardini colt had won a pair of races at Churchill Downs this year by 2 3/4 and 6 1/2 lengths.

That 6 1/2-length win on June 13 in a 1 1/16-mile contest, accomplished in an excellent 1:41.35, was a giant clue that he might be one tough dude in the 96th running of the Blue Grass.

There was another sign that Art Collector could run a biggie in the Blue Grass. When he won on June 13, the runner-up was Shared Sense, who subsequently won last week’s Indiana Derby by three lengths at Indiana Grand.

Swiss Skydiver, a filly, was sent off as the slight $2.20 to $1 favorite in the Blue Grass. Art Collector was a close $2.30 to $1 second choice.

On the Blue Grass morning line, Swiss Skydiver was the 3-1 favorite, while Art Collector and Rushie were the co-second choices at 5-1. (Art Collector originally had been mistakenly listed at 6-1 on the morning line by Keeneland communications.)

Thirteen broke from the gate in the Blue Grass. Swiss Skydiver and Art Collector were prominent from the outset.

Swiss Skydiver maintained a slight advantage as she made her way around the far turn, while Art Collector was breathing down her neck. Rushie moved up to threaten on the far turn, but then lacked the necessary additional punch in the lane.

From the top of the stretch to the vicinity of the sixteenth pole, Swiss Skydiver and Art Collector were locked in a fierce head-and-head battle for the lead while well clear of the others. Art Collector then asserted his superiority in the final sixteenth to draw clear.

Though Swiss Skydiver could not keep up with Art Collector in the last sixteenth, the filly continued on well enough to finish well clear of the others. Rushie, racing wide throughout at 7-1, ended up third, 4 3/4 lengths behind Swiss Skydiver.

While Swiss Skydiver was thwarted in her bid to make history by becoming the first filly to win the Blue Grass since it was inaugurated in 1911, she certainly gave it an admirable try. The only other filly to have run in the Blue Grass was Hattie Sue, who finished fifth in 1944.

UNCLE CHUCK’S STRIDE IMPRESSES BAFFERT

Highly regarded Uncle Chuck, No. 6 on my Kentucky Derby Top 10, had a splendid workout Monday at Del Mar. The Kentucky-bred Uncle Mo colt, undefeated in two starts, registered a four-length victory in the Grade III Los Alamitos Derby on July 4.

Uncle Chuck probably will make his next start in Saratoga’s Grade I Runhappy Travers Stakes at 1 1/4 miles on Aug. 8, according to Baffert.

Santa Anita Derby winner Honor A.P., No. 1 on my Kentucky Derby Top 10, is headed to Del Mar’s Shared Belief Stakes at 1 1/16 miles on Aug. 1. Florida Derby and Belmont Stakes winner Tiz the Law, No. 2 on my Top 10, is scheduled to make his next start in the Travers.

Concerning Uncle Chuck’s drill earlier this week, Daily Racing Form’s Jay Privman wrote that the colt “glided around the Del Mar main track Monday morning with an effortless half-mile in :47.60, after which he galloped out an additional furlong. The work was faster than planned, but not because he was being asked.”

Baffert was especially impressed with Uncle Chuck’s long stride in Monday’s workout.

“He looked like Arrogate, didn’t he?” Baffert was quoted as saying to Privman. “He jumps a long ways. Arrogate was like that. He’s got that stride. And he’s fast.”

Arrogate had won three of four career starts before making his stakes debut in the 2016 Travers. In what I ranked as the top 2016 performance by a Thoroughbred in the United States, Arrogate won the Travers by 13 1/2 lengths in 1:59.36 to obliterate Saratoga’s track record for 1 1/4 miles.

HORSE OF THE YEAR CHASE LOOKS WIDE OPEN

Seven horses received first-place votes in this week’s NTRA Top Thoroughbred Poll. That indicates that the 2020 Horse of the Year title is up for grabs at this point. The seven horses to receive first-place votes in this week’s poll are Midnight Bisou, Tom’s d’Etat, Vekoma, Monomoy Girl, Tiz the Law, Code of Honor and Maximum Security.

The Top 10 in this week’s NTRA Top Thoroughbred Poll is below:

Rank Points Horse (First-Place Votes)

1. 369 Midnight Bisou (22)
2. 334 Tom’s d’Etat (9)
3. 294 Vekoma (2)
4. 142 Monomoy Girl (1)
5. 134 Zulu Alpha
6. 133 Mucho Gusto
7. 130 By My Standards
8. 118 Tiz the Law (2)
9. 98 Code of Honor (1)
10. 95 Maximum Security (3)

THIS WEEK’S NTRA TOP THREE-YEAR-OLD POLL

After ranking 28th last week, Art Collector made a giant leap all the way up to No. 4 in this week’s NTRA Top Three-Year-Old Poll.

The Top 10 this week’s NTRA Top Three-Year-Old Poll is below:

Rank Points Horse (First-Place Votes)

1. 399 Tiz the Law (39)
2. 357 Honor A.P. (1)
3. 244 Authentic
4. 242 Art Collector
5. 180 Dr Post
6. 148 King Guillermo
7. 118 Uncle Chuck
8. 110 Swiss Skydiver
9. 108 Gamine
10. 60 Max Player

WAR OF WILL, RUSHING FALL JOIN ELITE CLUBS

When War of Will took the Maker’s Mark Mile by a nose at odds of 5-1 on the grass last Friday at Keeneland, he became a Grade I winner on turf and on dirt. He captured the Grade I Preakness Stakes on the dirt at Pimlico in 2019.

War of Will is just the third horse to win a Triple Crown event on dirt and a Grade I grass race. The other two were two-time Horse of the Year Secretariat and fellow two-time Horse of the Year California Chrome.

In War of Will’s only previous 2020 start, he finished fifth in Santa Anita’s Grade I Shoemaker Mile on May 25, then was disqualified and placed sixth for causing interference.

Mark Casse (elected to this country’s Hall of Fame this year) trains War of Will.

Last Saturday at Keeneland, Rushing Fall proved a punctual 4-5 favorite in the Grade I Jenny Wiley Stakes on the grass. The Kentucky-bred More Than Ready filly prevailed by three-quarters of a length for trainer Chad Brown.

Since races in this country were first graded in 1973, Rushing Fall is only the third Thoroughbred to race exclusively in this country and win a Grade I event at 2, 3, 4 and 5. The other two were Beholder and Lady Eli.

McKinzie had a chance to also become a Grade I winner at 2, 3, 4 and 5 when he competed in the Grade I Met Mile on July 4. But he somehow managed to lose both a front and hind shoe during the race and finished fifth.

SPEECH’S 97 BEYER VALIDATED

I will, from time to time, point out when I beleive a Beyer Speed Figure is off, such as was the case with a number of American Pharoah’s races. But I’ve also stated many times that I think Beyer Speed Figures are a useful tool for horseplayers. I would not refer to them as often as I do if I felt otherwise.

When Speech finished second in a 1 1/16-mile allowance/optional claiming race at Oaklawn Park on May 2 for trainer Michael McCarthy, she recorded a 97 Beyer Speed Figure. She lost that race by a neck to the Baffert-trained Gamine, who was credited with a 98 Beyer.

Prior to that 97 Beyer by Speech, her top figure had been an 86. Speech followed her 97 Beyer by recording an 88 when she finished second, four lengths behind Swiss Skydiver, in the 1 1/16-mile Santa Anita Oaks on June 6.

When Speech dropped from a 97 to an 88 Beyer, I questioned the validity of the 97. I thought the 97 might be out of whack.

But after Speech won Keeneland’s Grade I Ashland Stakes by three lengths at 1 1/16 miles last Saturday, I now believe that 97 Beyer is legit because Speech even exceeded that figure by posting a 101 Beyer in the Ashland.

What I think probably happened is Speech “bounced,” or regressed, when she dropped to an 88 Beyer in the Santa Anita Oaks from her 97 at Oaklawn. Considering how hard Speech ran to nearly beat Gamine at Oaklawn, this makes perfect sense.

Meanwhile, as an indication of what a fantastic filly Gamine is, while Speech regressed from her 97 Beyer at Oaklawn to an 88 in her next race, Gamine went the other way in a big way. Gamine went from her 98 Beyer at Oaklawn to a monstrous 110 when she won Belmont’s Grade I Acorn Stakes by 18 3/4 lengths at one mile on July 20.

I ranked Gamine’s Acorn as the best performance by a Thoroughbred in the United States during the first half of 2020.

Baffert has said Gamine’s Acorn is probably the best race a filly or mare has ever run for him.

FORMER JOCKEY KEN CHURCH PASSES AWAY

Many in the Southern California racing community, including yours truly, were saddened by the news from Del Mar that former jockey Ken Church died Monday at a hospital in Reno, Nev. He was 90.

Del Mar had received word of Church’s death from his daughter, Debbie Anderson.

Anderson said that her father had suffered a case of pneumonia a week ago at the retirement home where he lived in Reno and was moved to a local hospital. The cause of death was listed as COVID-19.

Born in Windsor, Ontario, on March 24, 1930, Church first came to the track at Woodbine as a teenager, then began riding in the U.S. a short time later. According to the Daily Racing Form obituary written by Privman, Church rode his first winner in Detroit in 1947.

Church rode more than 2,000 winners from over 14,000 mounts. He won titles at Arlington Park, Churchill Downs, Garden State Park, Keeneland and Washington Park. Church also rode in Florida and Louisiana before coming to California.

In 1964, Church won the Santa Anita Handicap aboard Mr. Consistency, who was sent away at 5-1 in the field of 18. It was a marvelous ride on the part of Church. As far back early as 14th, Church and Mr. Consistency made a bold move to take the lead in upper stretch. Mr. Consistency had a half-length advantage with an eighth of a mile to go. Did Church move too soon? Nope. Mr. Consistency stayed in front throughout the final furlong to win by three-quarters of a length.

When Church talked about Viking Spirit, a twinkle typically would come to his eye. In 1965, Church won both the Carter Handicap at Aqueduct and Bing Crosby Handicap at Del Mar on Viking Spirit.

After Church retired as a jockey in 1967, he went to work in the publicity departments at Del Mar, Hollywood Park and Santa Anita. He was principally involved in radio and television at those tracks.

In the 1970s, Church participated in the popular Rocking Chair Derby at Del Mar for retired jockeys. He won it in 1974.

During the time I was employed by the Daily Racing Form, I worked the Del Mar meetings from 1982 to 1993, first as a writer/columnist, then as a chart-caller. Church was at Del Mar during those years after leaving Hollywood Park and Santa Anita to reduce his workload.

Of the hundreds of people I’ve crossed paths with in racing since I first was hired by the DRF in 1974, none have been nicer than Ken Church.

Whenever I worked at Longacres in the 1970s when I was with the DRF, I participated in the “media show parlay.” Ten members of the media each put up $2 every Sunday. Each person would pick a horse for the $20 show parlay. But once a horse had been picked in a race, no one else could make a pick in that race. A random draw each week determined the selection order. The most important thing was not to be the person to blow the parlay. That’s because the person who blew the parlay inevitably would get much grief from everyone else. It was a blast.

In the press box at Del Mar in the 1980s, I copied the “media show parlay” concept from Longacres. We had five participants every Sunday, four DRF employees and Church. Because there were only five of us, we each put up $4. Again, it was a lot of fun. I can tell you that Church absolutely loved being involved in that weekly show parlay.

I can honestly say that Ken Church was one of my favorite things about being in the Del Mar press box during all those years I worked there in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Tokens
1/ST Race of the Week: United Nations from Monmouth

July 16, 2020 | By Jeremy Plonk

GRADE 1 $300,000 UNITED NATIONS STAKES AT MONMOUTH PARK
Saturday, July 18, 2020
By Jeremy Plonk

The Lead:
Summer's biggest racing day on the Jersey Shore comes Saturday with the tradition-rich Haskell Invitational. That headlines a 14-race program that includes 6 stakes races and the co-featured Grade 1 United Nations Stakes for the older turf set. The Haskell appears to be a 2-horse race, while the UN could be the much more lucrative betting chance. And why not? Favorites have lost every United Nations edition since champion English Channel scored here in 2007. The last 3 winners have been 14-1, 23-1 and 10-1 shots (and remarkably included Mike Maker and Chad Brown trainees among those). This mile and three-eighths turf test will be Race 11, immediately leading into the Haskell.

​Field Depth:
Grade 1 winner ARKLOW has a decided class edge on this field as he's competed at the highest levels. STANDARD DEVIATION is Grade 1-placed, while CURRENT is a Grade 3 winner with a Grade 2 placing on his resume. On pure class, it's hard to argue against ARKLOW.

Pace:
It should be a very slow go up front. PARET led wire-to-wire last out and probably goes to the front again. O DIONYSUS has the most interest in pressing him unless another rider changes tactics with these runners' past form. The offspring of Bodemeister have taken to the Monmouth turf well over the years, so expect O DIONYSUS to be interested. Still, a deep, deep closer will have his work cut out for him.

Our Eyes:
ARKLOW ran just 6 days ago in the mile and one-half Grade 2 Elkhorn, so this is an obviously very curious return spot. I typically like when a successful trainer runs a horse back on short rest who comes off a non-effort. It's almost like making your star athlete run laps in practice for having an off game. "Get back to work!" But this 6-year-old has never run back shorter than 16 days - between his 2018 Elkhorn second and his fourth-place solid try in the Breeders' Cup Turf. But he was in career form that autumn. The barn has had some success on a week or less break with lower-level horses, but has never tried it with a stakes performer like this. He's never run at Monmouth to date, so ARKLOW will be a gutsy toss as the key player in my wagers.

Four runners re-match from Belmont's $80,000 Tiller Stakes, a token overnight stakes June 4 that came up more on the line of a Grade 3 race. PARET wired that test over the same mile and three-eighths distance as the UN. He was 38-1 that day, and you won't get such a big price this time. But the public is stubborn in pari-mutuel betting and rarely admits fault so quickly. He'll be a more-than-fair price and if you want to reinvest in this Australian export, anything around 15-1 with a pace advantage like this would be attractive. His only bid at Monmouth was a better-than-looks third in a turf sprint that didn't warm up his stamina.

Others from the Tiller include Todd Pletcher's CURRENT, fifth from a wide draw at Belmont; STANDARD DEVIATION, a disappointing sixth that day for Graham Motion; and CORELLI, who rallied decently, though seventh, after a terrible start, spotting the field several lengths. Any of this quartet makes a reasonable case, especially since Motion is a 2-time UN winner (Better Talk Now '05, Main Sequence '14) and Pletcher has 4 UN trophies (Balto Star '03, English Channel '06 and '07, Turbo Compressor '12). STANDARD DEVIATION is 2-for-2 at Monmouth, easily besting CURRENT in last year's local Jersey Derby.

Mike Maker, who won this race with Bigger Picture in 2017, sends out the uncoupled pair of MUGGSAMATIC and AQUAPHOBIA. The former won his first try for Maker after a transfer from the suspended Jason Servis; the latter is a vintage Maker veteran, high-dollar claim ($62,500 in January) who makes a big stakes ascension. We've seen it so many times with this barn. AQUAPHOBIA has lit the superfecta in all 4 starts since the change of venue, including a pair of Grade 2 bids. Both have run well over the Monmouth turf course.

Most Certain Exotics Contender: AQUAPHOBIA hasn't missed a superfecta for Maker and gets all-time Monmouth leading jockey Joe Bravo. This distance is the question, but a slower pace keeps him in the game.

​Best Longshot Exotics Contender: It's CORELLI. He was 33-1 vs. many of these last time, but now gets Lasix, blinkers and note the Jonathan Thomas-Daniel Centeno tandem is a rousing 38%-winning combination and 65% in the exacta from 40 starts. And, remember, this has been a longshot's race.

Sending it in ($100 bankroll): $40 win CORELLI. $10 exacta key-box CORELLI with AQUAPHOBIA, PARET and ARKLOW ($60).

Tokens
Haskell Post Position Draw Rapid Reaction

July 15, 2020 | By Jeremy Plonk

San Felipe winner and Santa Anita Derby runner-up Authentic drew post 2 of 7 for Saturday’s Grade 1 Haskell Stakes at Monmouth Park. The 4-5 morning line favorite looks to give trainer Bob Baffert a record-padding ninth victory in the Jersey Shore’s most famous race. First race post time is set for noon ET with the featured Haskell slated for approximately 5:45 pm ET as Race 12 of 14.

Authentic has won 3 of 4 starts, battling on the front end in each of those outings. The Monmouth track traditionally plays fast and toward speed on Haskell Day, so expect jockey Mike Smith to have him on the engine with this inside draw. Smith won the Haskell in the 1990s with horses like Holy Bull and Coronado’s Quest.

The other predominant early speed in the race likely comes from widest-drawn NY Traffic, who very well could pressure the outside flank of Authentic throughout early and middle stages of this 1-1/8 miles. Jockey Paco Lopez is a past Monmouth riding champion and very aggressive early in races, so he will keep pressure on the favorite if NY Traffic breaks in his usual manner. Longshots Jesus’ Team, Ancient Warrior and Lebda also have exhibited early speed against lesser competition. Their presence could increase the tempo.

Rain-drawn Dr. Post benefits if the pace quickens. He exits a clear second in the Belmont Stakes and will be ridden by Monmouth’s all-time leading pilot Joe Bravo for the first time. Bravo scored the 2004 Haskell aboard Lion Heart. With major racing jurisdictions in New York and Maryland limiting the movement of jockeys due to COVID-19 concerns, several Monmouth-based riders are beneficiaries of mounts in this $1 million local showcase. Dr. Post’s trainer Todd Pletcher won this race in 2006, 2007 and 2013 with Bluegrass Cat, Any Given Saturday and Verrazano – the first of which, like Dr. Post, was a Belmont Stakes runner-up.

On the wagering front, Monmouth will have a $400,000-guaranteed 50-cent Pick 4 (Races 9-12) and a $100,000-guaranteed 50-cent Pick 5 (Races 10-14).

Grade 1 $1 million Haskell Field
1. Dr. Post (Joe Bravo) 5-2
2. Authentic (Mike Smith) 4-5
3. Jesus’ Team (Nick Juarez) 15-1
4. Ancient Warrior (Trevor McCarthy) 20-1
5. Fame to Famous (Jose Ferrer) 30-1
6. Lebda (Alex Cintron) 20-1
7. NY Traffic (Paco Lopez) 7-2

Tokens
Haskell Stakes Workout Report

July 16, 2020

XBTV crews in California and Florida were able to track a pair of Saturday’s Haskell Stakes contender through their major morning preparations. Analyst Zoe Cadman provides her insights:

Authentic

Let’s face it; Bob Baffert knows how to win the Haskell, having won it a record 8 times (most recently in 2015 with American Pharaoh). The previously undefeated Authentic lost some of his sparkle when simply finishing second-best to Honor A.P. in the Santa Anita Derby. He will now get Hall of Famer Mike Smith in the irons Saturday, replacing Drayden Van Dyke (We have seen this ending before…). Mike’s last win in the Haskell was way back in 1994 aboard Holy Bull. But let's cut to the chase: Fitness is certainly not going to an issue for this lightly framed son of Into Mischief. He has been likened to a gazelle by his trainer. Since the Santa Anita Derby, he has worked 5 times, all solo drills. On June 28, he sped 6 furlongs in a rank fashion under Drayden in 1:11.60. The following week on July 4, he looked surprisingly much more relaxed under Juan Ochoa, working a mile in 1:39 flat. Breaking off that morning at the 6-furlong pole, Authentic was in a high gallop before being asked to finish up. Super work. He duly shipped to Del Mar and put in his final work July 11 under Ochoa again in :59.80, visually impressive finishing up nicely. Here is a colt who’s fit and ready and will be the speed of the speed. If the Haskell was a mile in distance, I would say he’s a lock. But it’s not!

Ny Traffic

This son of Cross Traffic already has secured a spot in the Kentucky Derby starting gate for the first Saturday in September. He has a 70 Derby qualifying points moving forward. After missing an expected start in the Belmont Stakes due to a short sickness (and missed works), he appears to have rebounded nicely. His July 12 work in company with the overmatched Queen Nekia (8-for-26, Grade 3-placed) was good. Ny Traffic is beginning to really relax in his works, siting well off his workmate and inhaling her with ease in a very solid time :)59.60) at GP. One other thing I have noticed is this grey colt seems to have put on the weight he lost due to shipping and getting sick. This colt is on the move and not to be dismissed in a Haskell where the likely favorite, Authentic, is Goliath no more.

Tokens
July 18 Cross Country P5 feat. Saratoga, Monmouth & Woodbine

July 16, 2020

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) will host an all-graded-stakes Cross Country Pick 5, featuring action from Saratoga Race Course, Monmouth Park and Woodbine Racetrack.

Live coverage of all the races in the sequence for the first Saturday of the Saratoga summer meet will be available with America's Day at the Races on FS1 and MSG+.

Monmouth, located in Oceanport, New Jersey, will host the first two legs of the sequence, starting with the Grade 3, $300,000 Monmouth Cup for 3-year-olds and up going 1 1/8 miles in Race 10 at 4:40 p.m. Eastern. As part of the Grade 1 Haskell undercard, the Monmouth Cup will see Joevia, the 2019 Grade 1 Belmont Stakes third-place finisher, return to the track where he broke his maiden in July 2018 and also where he captured last year's Long Branch. The Gregg Sacco trainee will be part of a 10-horse field that includes Global Campaign, the 2019 Grade 3 Peter Pan winner at Belmont Park who also ran third in last year's Grade 2 Jim Dandy for trainer Stanley Hough.

The action will continue at Monmouth for the Grade 1, $300,000 United Nations in Race 11 at 5:12 p.m. The 1 3/8-mile turf route will see Current, the third-place finisher in the Grade 2 Kitten's Joy Pan American in March, as part of a nine-horse field. Current, the Todd Pletcher trainee who captured the 2018 Grade 3 Dixiana Bourbon, will go up against a field that includes Standard Deviation, who ran third in the Grade 1 Hollywood Derby in November at Del Mar for conditioner Graham Motion. Standard Deviation ran second this year in Qatar in the Group 1 H.H. The Amir Trophy.

An international flavor will be added to the Cross Country Pick 5 when it shifts to Woodbine for the Grade 2, $175,000 Royal North in Race 9 at 5:28 p.m. Summer Sunday, one of two entrants for trainer Stuart Simon, will look to repeat as winner in defending her 2019 victory. Summer Sunday was named Canada's champion female sprinter in 2019 and made her 5-year-old debut by running third in the Grade 3 Whimsical on June 21 at Woodbine. Simon will also saddle Sister Peacock in the six-furlong Royal North.

The penultimate leg will be Monmouth's signature race, the Grade 1, $1 million Haskell in Race 12 at 5:48 p.m. A "Win and You're In" qualifier to the Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Classic in November at Keeneland, the Haskell will also offer qualifying points to September's Grade 1 Kentucky Derby for the first time in history. The top four-finishers will receive 100-40-20-10 points towards the "Run for the Roses," with seven sophomores competing at 1 1/8 miles.

Authentic, trained by Hall of Famer Bob Baffert, is the 4-5 morning-line favorite after starting his year with victories in the Grade 3 Sham and the Grade 2 San Felipe before running second in the Grade 1 Runhappy Santa Anita Derby on June 6. He will face a talented seven-horse field that includes the Pletcher trained Dr Post, who ran second to Tiz the Law in last month's Grade 1 Belmont Stakes. The rest of the field includes Jesus' Team, Ancient Warrior, Fame To Famous, Lebda and NY Traffic.

Historic Saratoga Race Course will conclude the sequence with the third Grade 1, offering the $350,000 Coaching Club American Oaks for 3-year-old fillies in Race 10 at 6:16 p.m. Offering 100-40-20-10 qualifying points to the Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks, the Coaching Club American Oaks will see multiple graded-stakes winner Tonalist's Shape, who boasts six wins from seven starts, sent out by trainer Saffie Joseph, Jr. Baffert will send out will send out Crystal Ball, who graduated last out by 6 1/2 lengths on June 14 in a 1 1/16-miles maiden at Santa Anita. Antoinette, Altaf, Velvet Crush and Paris Lights will also attempt the 1 1/2-mile test.

The minimum bet for the multi-track, multi-race wager is 50 cents. Wagering on the Cross Country Pick 5 is also available on ADW platforms and at simulcast facilities across the country. Every week will feature a mandatory payout of the net pool.

Cross Country Pick 5 - Saturday, July 18:

Leg 1 - Monmouth, Race 10: Grade 3 Monmouth Park (4:40 p.m.)
Leg 2 - Monmouth, Race 11: Grade 1 United Nations (5:12 p.m.)
Leg 3 - Woodbine, Race 9: Grade 2 Royal North (5:28 p.m.)
Leg 4 - Monmouth, Race 12: Grade 1 Haskell (5:48 p.m.)
Leg 5 - Saratoga, Race 10: Grade 1 Coaching Club American Oaks (6:16 p.m.)

Tokens
Saturday, July 18: Eddie Olczyk’s Haskell Day Spot Plays

July 17, 2020

Another phenomenal Saturday of racing as Saratoga underway in Upstate New York and the action is hot at the Jersey Shore as Bob Baffert goes for an astounding ninth Haskell victory with Authentic.

Here is a four-pack of horses that caught my eye on Saturday at Saratoga, Monmouth and Gulfstream. Let’s cross our fingers for good trips and a little racing luck.

Saratoga, Race 3 (2:18PM ET) – G2 Hall of Fame Stakes
#6 EVER DANGEROUS (15/1)

EVER DANGEROUS is a big price – 15/1 ML – and he could go up from there. To me, this just looks like a two-turn horse and while this is his toughest test to date, he’s moving to a far more advantageous post after drawing terribly in his last two races. Assuming #3 Get Smokin goes to the lead, which is his MO, I think EVER DANGEROUS sits a great trip just behind him.

Saratoga, Race 8 (5:07PM ET)
#6 MUSICAL HEART (9/2)

The connections of MUSICAL HEART have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what this five-year-old gelding really prefers on the track – turf or dirt, sprint or route, etc. I think a bunch of factors indicate this type of race, going two-turns on the dirt, is his forte. He has won his last two dirt routes and looks like he has been entered in a race he can win, given his tactical speed and a deserved class drop.

Monmouth, Race 10 (4:40PM ET) – G3 Monmouth Cup
#1 GLOBAL CAMPAIGN (9/2)

From a value perspective, this is a great time to bet GLOBAL CAMPAIGN. He comes in off a disappointing 6th in the Blame Stakes at Churchill, but keep in mind he was favored against horses like Owendale, Silver Dust, Mr. Money and Diamond King that day. Now we might get 5/1 on him? Sign me up. He should sit the trip from the rail and won the Peter Pan last year over this distance (over the eventual Belmont Stakes winner) so we know he can handle going 1 1/8-miles.

Gulfstream Park, Race 12 (5:54PM ET)
#8 DIDNT DO IT (12/1)

This horse looks like phenomenal value to me. There is plenty of speed in this 5-furlong claiming dash and that would be perfect for DIDNT DO IT, who does his running from near the back of the pack. This is his second start off the layoff, he’s going from route-to-sprint and I think he will hit the board at odds of at least 8/1.

Tokens
Haskell is Multi-Leg Cornerstone

July 17, 2020 | By Johnny D

Del Mar racing is cancelled this weekend because of a rash of jockey COVID 19-positives and a spectator-less Saratoga season is underway. So, what else is new? It’s just another crazy weekend in a pandemic world. No worries. There are numerous opportunities nationwide for players to cash Saturday and Monmouth’s Haskell-day card looms as most attractive.

The $1 million Haskell Stakes has with a field of seven, including one or two runners that could make some noise in Louisville in September. Topping the roster is once-beaten Authentic from the Bob Baffert barn. He was second-best to Honor A. P. in the Gr. 1 Santa Anita Derby last out. Dr. Post, trained by future Hall of Fame conditioner Todd Pletcher, also finished second in his last race--the truncated, mile and one-eighth Gr. 1 Belmont Stakes. Leading 3-year-old Tiz the Law snapped Dr. Post’s streak of two consecutive wins.

The Haskell will be the 12th race on a bulging 14-race card. It’s something of a gambling cornerstone as it serves as the final leg of a $400,000 Guaranteed Pick 4 (Races 9-12); as the third stanza of an all-stakes Pick 5 and as the second step in both an all-stakes Pick 4 and in the $1 123Racing Pick 6. Additionally, Xpressbet is offering a 1 million points split to all account holders who hit the Pick 4 on Races 9-12.

Here’s one man’s horse-by-horse look at the Grade 1, $1 million Haskell Stakes and assorted opinions on races 9 through 12 to hopefully enhance your Saturday afternoon entertainment.

Race 12--Haskell Stakes—Grade 1--$1 Million
For Three Year Olds--One Mile And One-Eighth

Trainer Bob Baffert has annually used the Haskell Stakes as his personal ATM. He’s won the race a record 8 times and usually not with a first-string 3-year-old in his barn. This year, with the Kentucky Derby delayed until September, Baffert is down to just a few potential Louisville starters. Authentic, favored in this race, is one of them. Dr. Post, from the Todd Pletcher barn, is the one with the best chance to upset and garner the 40-point lion’s share of Kentucky Derby starting gate points on the line. Second is worth 20 and third 10.

1. Dr. Post (Pletcher/Bravo) - 5/2

Here’s one horse that could benefit from a COVID-delayed Kentucky Derby. As late as April 25, he had merely won a maiden race second time out and the Unbridled Stakes, both at Gulfstream. A start in the Kentucky Derby would have been out of the question. Now, after a wide trip throughout to be second in the Belmont Stakes, Dr. Post is on the verge of developing into a bit of a Derby contender. To take that next step he’ll need to win the Haskell. He’s got a mid-pack, stalking style and the rail draw ought to allow him to save some ground, unlike what happened to him in the Belmont when posted 9 out of 10. ‘Jersey’ Joe Bravo takes over for Saratoga-restricted Irad Ortiz, Jr.

2. Authentic (Baffert/Smith) - 4/5

A hot horse since he broke maiden in November at Del Mar, Authentic has won the Gr. 3 Sham and Gr. 2 San Felipe Stakes, both at Santa Anita. He ran into a buzz saw last out in the form of Honor A. P. finishing second in the Gr. 1 Santa Anita Derby for his only defeat. Authentic broke a bit slowly in that race but that wasn’t why he lost. Honor A. P. just ran better. Authentic has developed well and his Beyer Speed Figures haven’t taken a backward step in four starts. Look for trainer Baffert to request speed from this son of Into Mischief Saturday. Regular rider Drayden Van Dyke is on the COVID 19-recovery list in California, so Hall-of-Fame resident Mike Smith is scheduled to substitute, as of this writing. Authentic’s clearly the one to beat.

3. Jesus' Team (D'Angelo/Juarez) - 15/1

This colt doesn’t have a prayer! On the other hand, miracles happen. Just kidding. Sort of. Seriously, he’s up against it. He’s improved a great deal since a turf start at Gulfstream in late January, but one wonders how much more advancement he’ll make immediately. He’s had two wins in seven starts—one for maiden $32k and another for $25k non-winners of two. Both scores came at Gulfstream Park. He finished second last out in a $100k/optional claimer. These are tougher.

4. Ancient Warrior (Hollendorfer/McCarthy) - 20/1

This son of Constitution showed promise when he romped first out in a Del Mar maiden race in November. Unfortunately, he’s been unable to win since. He finished a close-up fourth at Oaklawn Park in February and has been third twice. He hasn’t been further than six and one-half furlongs, so this step up to a mile and one-eighth is uncharted territory. He’s got some speed, so he may give Authentic something to consider early but, when the real running starts, he ought to find things challenging.

5. Fame to Famous (McAllen/Ferrer) - 30/1

With just one win in nine starts, this son of Tapit seems up against it in here. He’s tried a couple of stakes races with no success. He’d be a huge surprise arriving in the winner’s circle.

6. Lebda (Gonzalez/Cintron) - 20/1

The Gr. 3 Ohio Derby proved too much for this guy last out. He showed speed early and faded to sixth of 13. His best work came at Laurel in February and March when he posted back-to-back stakes wins in the Miracle Wood and Private Terms. Those wins combined with 2-year-old tallies at Laurel and Delaware give Lebda the most wins in this field at four. This son of Raison d’Etat has speed but not much fight when challenged early. He’ll need to improve to threaten in here.

7. Ny Traffic (Joseph Jr./Lopez) - 7/2

This New York-bred son of Cross Traffic has been competitive in his last four races, since being shifted into the barn of Saffie Joseph. He romped by nearly seven in a Gulfstream mile and one-sixteenth $75k optional claiming race and then finished third, second and second in a trio of graded stakes races—Gr. 2 Risen Star, Gr. 2 Louisiana Derby and Gr. 3 Matt Winn—all within two lengths of the winners. His Beyer Speed Figures have improved in each of those outings. Look for Ny Traffic to race close to the early pace. He may not be quite as effective at a mile and one-eighth, but he’s proven as an in-the-money player in graded stakes.

Bottom Line: #2 Authentic is the one to beat in here. #1 Dr. Post and #7 Ny Traffic are the most likely upsetters, with a slight preference to the former. Since those horses probably will be ranked 1-2-3 in the wagering there’s not much to be gained by betting this race straight or in exotics. In multi-leg wagers we’d suggest using #2 Authentic strongest and #1 Dr. Post and #7 Ny Traffic slightly on small saver tickets only.

Race 9—Winstar Matchmaker—Grade 3--$150,000
Fillies and Mares—One Mile And One-Eighth Turf

This race features three runners from the powerful Chad Brown stable. Brown often finishes first, second and third in graded stakes races. It could happen again. There’s really no standout in here, so using all three Brown runners and a few others, hopefully, will get the job done and keep tickets alive.

#1 Valedictorian deserves mention because she’s 4 for 5 over the Monmouth turf course and 1 for 1 at the distance. Her last out was not poor, but she had some trouble at the start. She breaks from the rail and could have a pace advantage over this field. Still, she’s 6 and her best racing came last year.

#4 Varenka is worth a look. She often races wide and that doesn’t help, but she’s a Gr. 2 winner with three of 10 wins and two seconds and two thirds. If she and jockey Trevor McCarthy should work out a dream trip while saving ground, she’d have a chance.

#5 Beautiful Lover seems the best of the Chad Brown trio. She was a reasonable fourth in the Gr. 1 Gamely at Santa Anita last out. Before that she was second in the Gr. 2 Hillsborough at Tampa. She hasn’t won since May ’19 when she took the Boiling Springs right here at Monmouth. That win was the third of a trio of turf tallies. Gotta have her on multi-race tickets.

#6 Nay Lady Nay is a Chad Brown runner with three wins in six starts, including a maiden victory over the Monmouth turf. She won the Gr. 2 Mrs. Revere at Churchill in November and has one start this year—a two-length loss in the Gr. 3 Mint Julep at Churchill Downs. She’s one for one over the Monmouth turf and could be ready to step forward in this race. Must use.

#7 Tapit Today also hails from the Chad Brown stable and has been away since a well-beaten third in the Gr. 3 Suwannee River at Gulfstream. She’s a 5-year-old mare with two wins in two tries at Monmouth. She’s the least attractive of the Brown trio and the one most likely to be left out of multi-race tickets, but she could get a nice trip just behind probable pacesetter #1 Valedictorian

Use: #1, #4, #5, #6, #7

Race 10—Monmouth Cup—Grade 3--$300,000
For Three-Year-Olds and Upward—One Mile And One-Eighth

No free bingo square here. This is an interesting collection of second-level older stakes runners that mostly haven’t quite lived up to expectations. There are some fighters in here that like to win races, but they’ve done most of that winning at lower levels. Others have tried Gr. 1 company with some success but haven’t maintained that level of performance.

#1 Global Campaign has won 4 of 7 starts and always takes money. He won his first two races, weakened in the Fountain of Youth and then won the Peter Pan. He also was third to Tax and Tacitus in the Jim Dandy. Off since then, he scored a powerful victory in a Gulfstream allowance race in April but couldn’t follow through as favorite in the Blame. He’s always had some talent and fans keep waiting for him to step forward in a big way. Maybe this will be the time?

#4 Harper’s First Ride has no stakes experience. He’s made his reputation at Laurel while winning his last 2 races and 6 of 10 starts overall. He’s got some speed and his trainer hits at 23%. He’s probably overmatched in here, but we like to have winners on our side.

#5 Math Wizard is an example of a successful horse that’s just a smidge below the upper level. If the pace is right, he’ll be along in time to have something to say about the outcome. That’s what happened in the Gr. 1 Pennsylvania Derby when he upset the applecart at 31-1. He also was second in the Gr. 3 Ohio Derby and third in the Gr. 3 Indiana Derby. Those were at 3 and his two starts at 4 haven’t been as good.

#7 Joevia is a speed horse and should have company up front. He’s 2 for 2 at Monmouth and exploded in the slop to win the Long Branch here last year. He set the pace in the Belmont Stakes before just missing to Sir Winston and Tacitus. He’s made four starts this year with an Aqueduct win and three poor efforts.

#9 Bal Harbour moves from trainer Todd Pletcher to Gregory Sacco for this. The 5-year-old gelding hasn’t won since November 2018 when he took the one-mile Gio Ponti at Aqueduct. He was second by a head to War Story in this race last year and then was beaten a half-length by Preservationist in the Gr. 1 Woodward. He’s 0 for 5 at the distance, though, with 2 seconds and 2 thirds.

#10 Bodexpress always shows speed and sometimes has gate issues. You may remember when he reared at the start of the Preakness and unseated his rider. The good news is that he’s drawn the far outside in here and will load last. Maybe he won’t have much time to think about things out there. Last out, favored in the March Gr. 3 Hal’s Hope at Gulfstream he stalked the pace, took the lead and then drifted out and weakened late in the mile and one-eighth test. This may not be his best distance. He’s 0 for 3 at the trip.

Use: #1, #4, #5, #7, #9, #10

11th Race—United Nations—Grade 1--$300,000
For Three-Year-Olds and Upward—One Mile and Three-Eighths Turf

#1 Arklow is wheeled back rather quickly by trainer Brad Cox after a wide trip in the Gr. 2 Elkhorn at Keeneland July 12. The 6-year-old veteran warrior has 6 wins in 27 starts and has earned over $1.8 million in earnings. He won the mile and one-half Gr. 1 Turf Classic in October at Belmont but has been winless since to make him just 1 for his last 10. He comes from far back and that always leaves a horse at the mercy of the pace. Still, he’s difficult to ignore in here.

#2 Standard Deviation is a 4-year-old colt from the Graham Motion stable that is 2 for 2 at Monmouth—including a win in the Jersey Derby. He previously was trained by Chad Brown and finished third in both the Gr. 2 Hill Prince and the Gr. 1 Hollywood Derby last year. He also comes from well off the pace and is making his second start for Motion following a wide trip in the Tiller Stakes.

#6 Current is a 4-year-old colt trained by Todd Pletcher that might have some improvement in him. He’s always been well-regarded and competed in Gr. 1 races at both 2 and 3. He finished second to #2 Standard Deviation in the Jersey Derby and was runner-up in the mile and one-half Gr. 2 Pan American one race back. A repeat of that pace-pressing performance fits in here.

#9 Paret appears as the only real speed in this race. He upset the Tiller field last out in wire-to-wire fashion at a monumental 38-1 odds, hanging on by just a head. Can history repeat? Maybe. It should be noted that Paret also was second at 22-1 going a mile and one-half in the Point of Entry at Belmont in his previous start in October. He’s 1 for his last 10 and a minor threat in this paceless group.

Use: #1, #2, #6, #9

The Ticket:

$.50 Pick 4 ($60)

9th Race: #1, #4, #5, #6, #7
10th Race: #1, #4, #5, #7, #9, #10
11th Race: #1, #2, #6, #9
12th Race: #2

Take care of each other. Race On!

Tokens
Delaware

Race 1:#3 Gray Gary (9/5)
Race 2:#8 Tbtwelve (2/1)
Race 3:#7 Hipnotizada (2/1)
Race 4:#3 Passion’s Image (9/2)
Race 5:#1 Golden Candy (8/5)
Race 6:#2 Super Constitution (8/5)
Race 7:#6 Winston’s Way (6/1)
Race 8:#3 Orbidore (7/2)

Tokens
Ellis Park

Race 1:#2 Eagle Eye (3/5)
Race 2:#4 Ebony Bay (1/1)
Race 3:#13 Leona Vander (9/2)
Race 4:#6 Frills (2/1)
Race 5:#3 Homebred (4/1)
Race 6:#3 Introspection (5/2)
Race 7:#7 Mountain Air (2/1)
Race 8:#6 Maniacal (2/1)
Race 9:#7 All Fact (8/1)

Tokens
Gulfstream

Race 1:#7 Mozano (2/1)
Race 2:#7 May I (8/1)
Race 3:#5 Gran Brandy (7/2)
Race 4:#3 Mycrazyxgirlfriend (3/1)
Race 5:#3 Crown and Sugar (2/1)
Race 6:#5 Win With Pride (9/5)
Race 7:#6 Gran Michelle (9/5)
Race 8:#9 Disturbin Bourbon (4/1)
Race 9:#10 Big Spender (7/5)
Race 10:#3 Oblio’s Wish (4/1)
Race 11:#1 Red Crescent (9/2)
Race 12:#4 I’m Cardinal (5/2)

Tokens
Laurel

Race 1:#5 Lonely Drifter (2/1)
Race 2:#7 Tenderness (8/5)
Race 3:#8 Stroll Smokin (6/1)
Race 4:#4 Sophie Rules (7/2)
Race 5:#4 El Dulce (6/1)
Race 6:#6 Si Mamacita (5/2)
Race 7:#6 Perfect Kind (4/1)
Race 8:#4 Hammers Vision (3/1)
Race 9:#3 Artemus Bridge (5/1)
Race 10:#7 Shezalemondropkid (2/1)

Tokens
LA Downs

Race 1:#3 Elevententeetime (6/5)
Race 2:#4 Brahms’ Regal Gal (5/2)
Race 3:#3 C C’s Baby Girl (7/2)
Race 4:#6 Say When (2/1)
Race 5:#5 Morethanfishin (7/2)
Race 6:#4 Boston Repo (3/1)
Race 7:#8 Miss Casey Beth (5/1)

Tokens
Monmouth

Race 1:#4 He Will (5/1)
Race 2:#6 Riva Belle (5/1)
Race 3:#5 My Sister’s Keeper (4/1)
Race 4:#2 Wallercito (5/1)
Race 5:#3 Scatnap (4/1)
Race 6:#10 How Sweep It Is (5/2)
Race 7:#10 Total Tap (2/1)
Race 8:#1 No Bull Jack (5/2)
Race 9:#2 Feel Glorious (6/1)
Race 10:#1 Global Campaign (9/2)
Race 11:#5 Aquaphobia (9/2)
Race 12:#2 Authentic (4/5)
Race 13:#11 American Sailor (5/1)
Race 14:#5 Vault (9/2)

Tokens
Ruidoso

Race 1:#9 Cowboy Toby (5/1)
Race 2:#12 Sheza Fast Jesse (15/1)
Race 3:#8 Northern Fern (7/2)
Race 4:#5 Peaeye Parker (6/1)
Race 5:#1 Sidney’s Hope (3/1)
Race 6:#10 Determined One (5/1)
Race 7:#4 Golden Band (5/1)
Race 8:#4 Fernweh (2/1)
Race 9:#8 Hezajessforsure (4/1)
Race 10:#9 Hotsempting (9/5)
Race 11:#12 Livinit (8/1)

Tokens
Saratoga

Race 1:#6 Repo Rocks (2/1)
Race 2:#1 Mr. Kringle (4/5)
Race 3:#7 Decorated Invader (1/1)
Race 4:#2 Lady by Choice (5/1)
Race 5:#4 Conglomerate (7/2)
Race 6:#3 Nautilus (7/2)
Race 7:#3 Blindwillie McTell (5/2)
Race 8:#1 Hoffenheim (8/1)
Race 9:#7 Digital Age (2/1)
Race 10:#3 Altaf (5/1)
Race 11:#4 Midnight Whiskey (7/2)

Tokens
Woodbine

Race 1:#6 Summerland (10/1)
Race 2:#9 Take It Easy (5/2)
Race 3:#4 Carpe Horseshoe (3/1)
Race 4:#9 Revivalist (3/1)
Race 5:#4 Clayton (9/5)
Race 6:#2 Miss Bobbit (5/2)
Race 7:#10 Muchacha (5/1)
Race 8:#4 Theodora B. (7/2)
Race 9:#3 Summer Sunday (3/1)
Race 10:#11 O La La (3/1)

Tokens
Al Cimaglia: Meadowlands Pace & Stakes Analysis

July 18, 2020 | By Al Cimaglia

The Meadowlands Pace is the signature race for the East Rutherford track and tonight's contest figures to be an exciting affair. The star-studded card features the top trotters and pacers in North America.

Comments and selections below are based on a fast track.

Race 3-Del Miller Memorial Trot-Purse $253,500

1-Sorella (7/2)-A big test but having the rail wasn't a problem in the past and last week's win was impressive. Winner of 3 of 4 at the Big M comes into this race very sharp. Gingras can take advantage of main foes starting outside.
8-Hypnotic AM (3-1)-Cruised home from the 9-hole at VD and should be in the hunt throughout. Sears may get aggressive and look to make a quarter move, but he could grind it out.
10-Ramona Hill (9/2)-This is a tough filly with limited options from this post. Last week struck me as a measured effort from the 9-hole and it was a nice tune-up. This post draw is even worse, but fresh horse and should be heard from.

Race 7-Haughton Memorial Pace-Purse $391,300

4-Century Farroh (6-1)-Last week's trip could not have been worse and was really no fault of the driver. It was an odd race as everyone pulled from the beginning. Dave Miller steers again and could be sitting on a big try at a square price.
5-Backstreet Shadow (7/2)-Hard to find a fault with this Burke trainee who just missed from the 9-hole off a tough trip and was off 20 days. Gets a very good post and probably leaves and land on top or in the pocket behind #6.
6-Dancin Lou (3-1)-Program chalk deserves respect, has done some heavy lifting in last 2 starts. Knows how to win and should be a factor but have to wonder if his tank hasn't been drained due to the last 2 big efforts.

Race 8-Hambletonian Maturity-Purse $464,900

7-Reign Of Honor (12-1)-Will swing for a price, last 2 have been better and will look for upswing to continue. Does lose Dave Miller to #6 but Tim Tetrick is aboard and that's usually a good thing. It looks like a spot to blast and take control.
13-Gimpanzee (3-1)-The best horse in the race but gets a tough post draw. Sears will need #3 to leave in hurry and get some luck to be in position at the top of the stretch. It appears to be a tough task, but this champ will likely be in the hunt somehow.
1-Forbidden Trade (7/2)-The 2019 Hambo winner comes off a nice turn-up win at the Big M versus older. It wouldn't be a surprise if it's picture time tonight, but this post may not be the best for him.

Race 9-Meadowlands Pace-Purse $636,650

4-Allywag Hanover (9/2)-Doesn't have the bankroll of #5 and #9. But has blossomed in his 3-year-old season and will face the "A" team tonight. This is a Pelling pupil along with #9 and he gets the post edge over his stablemate. The post draw could make the difference and has some value at 9/2. Tetrick has options and could come off cover or race close to the lead.
5-Tall Dark Stranger (7/5)-Winner of 10 of 11 lifetime deserves to be the morning line chalk but at 7/5 doesn't offer any value versus a tough group. My guess is Gingras blasts this monster out and looks to wire the field. That could happen but it won't be easy.
9-Papi Rob Hanover (4-1)-Dave Miller will be aboard as usual, and this is another freak who has beaten #5 twice but was Dq'd once. This is the 3rd start of 2020 and in the first 2 was stuck with post 10. Doesn't get much of a break tonight but it's best to respect. It wouldn't surprise me if both Pelling entries hit the board. I will be using Rob in gimmicks and if the pace is sizzling he may roll by everyone.

I will be betting my top choice in each race to win.
In Race 8, #7 & #13 will be used in an exacta box and both will be keyed in exactas on top of #1. In Race 9, Papi Rob Hanover will be boxed in exactas with #4 and #5.

Tokens
Brian Nadeau's Daily Picks

Saratoga - Race #4
Picks Notes
#4 No Deal Stalker catches a group with plenty of speed, should be ale to lay off and get first run, and showed with that 2nd last time she fits at this level; look out.
#2 Lady By Choice Maker claim (15%) lures main man Irad, so there's some serious intent here, and she too can stalk and pounce, though she's light on figures; second-best.
#3 Queen Kahen Versatile miss closed last time, and that style would suit her well here, though she did lose to a pair of the speeds, so she needs to hurry; underneath only.
Race Summary That 6-1 ML on the pick sure seems fair, especially with the prospective race flow and her running style, so play her in all the slots, and especially the early Pk5/Pk4 as well, since she looks to be in a good spot, and yet a win would add plenty of value to both sequences.

Saratoga - Race #7
Picks Notes
#1 Yaupon Debut winner pressed and held at CD, and while facing winners is never easy, this is a modest crew, and he looks like a Lone F; come and catch the pick.
#3 Blindwillie McTell Classy NYB has won a slew of stakes but was a dismal 5th at the level in his only try against open, and now hasn't been out since Feb. either; trying to beat.
#2 Binkster Veteran usually fires and every now and again it's good enough, but he was flat last time, and we've seen his ceiling as well; looks to be a supporting actor.
Race Summary You won't get rich on the 1 but he might be something, while the rest of these, aside from the 3, really aren't, and the latter has some question marks attached, so play the pick aggressively to win and place, while getting some added value by singling him in the late Pk5/Pk4 as well, since he looks to have a huge race flow edge against this group.

Saratoga - Race #10
Picks Notes
#3 Altaf Lightly raced runner for Brown inhaled the field in her CD MSW win, and while this would normally be a seismic step up in class, this is as weak a renewal of this as you'll ever seen, there's speed too, and you know she'll love this trip; mows them all down late.
#2 Antoinette Logical sort has a few solid dirt races showing and either would make her a player here, and, like the pick, she's another who shouldn't be intimidated by the trip, for a Mott barn that may have found a sweet spot for this Godolphin homebred;would be no surprise.
#6 Paris Lights The more fancied of the Brown runners aired in her second staight at CD and is clearly a bigtime talent, but the price will be short, the wide draw won't help, and there's speed to her inside too, not to mention she'll be way overbet with no edge; making her prove it.
Race Summary The price will be right on the 3, who has the look of an up-and-comer and will see out every inch of this trip, which isn't something some of these gals know for sure, so play her to win and place, and especially in the late Pk5/Pk4 as well, since she could very well fall through the wagering cracks, which means a win would add plenty of value to both sequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otmtransport
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com