Forum: MAIN FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Trainer Eric Guillot banned for giving horse a racist name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Trainer Eric Guillot banned for giving horse a racist name 
    RX Wizard
    ·4 min read Horse trainer Eric Guillot has been banned by the New York Racing Association and 1/ST Racing for changing the name of one of his horses to a racial slur, which was directed at a Black TVG analyst.Guillot, who has made $13 million over his career from horses he trained, tweeted on Jan. 1 that the three-year-old colt he was running at Aqueduct Racetrack was being given a new name “in honor of a TVG analyst,” and followed that with a Black fist emoji. He revealed in a follow-up tweet that the name of the horse was “Grape Soda,” which can be a racist term directed at Black people.
    Widespread outcry to Guillot’s name change

According to the Paulick Report, Guillot later admitted that the tweet was “in honor of” Ken Rudolph, a Black analyst for the horse racing network TVG. When the horse came in No. 1 at Aqueduct on Friday, Rudulph tweeted a response to not just the name Guillot chose for the horse, but to the racism he sees all over the racing industry

Horse trainer Eric Guillot has been banned by the New York Racing Association and 1/ST Racing for changing the name of one of his horses to a racial slur, which was directed at a Black TVG analyst.
    Guillot, who has made $13 million over his career from horses he trained, tweeted on Jan. 1 that the three-year-old colt he was running at Aqueduct Racetrack was being given a new name “in honor of a TVG analyst,” and followed that with a Black fist emoji. He revealed in a follow-up tweet that the name of the horse was “Grape Soda,” which can be a racist term directed at Black people.
    Widespread outcry to Guillot’s name change

According to the Paulick Report, Guillot later admitted that the tweet was “in honor of” Ken Rudolph, a Black analyst for the horse racing network TVG. When the horse came in No. 1 at Aqueduct on Friday, Rudulph tweeted a response to not just the name Guillot chose for the horse, but to the racism he sees all over the racing industry.

In response to the revelations about the horse’s name, numerous racing organizations banned Guillot. David O’Rourke of the the New York Racing association released this statement.
    “Racism is completely unacceptable in all forms. NYRA rejects Eric Guillot's toxic words and divisive behavior in the strongest terms. At this time, he will no longer be permitted to enter horses at any NYRA track nor will he be allocated stalls on NYRA grounds. In addition, we will review what further steps may be available to us. Our racing community is diverse, and we stand for inclusion.”
    1/ST Racing, which owns several race tracks, also released a statement condemning Guillot and banning him from racing or training at their facilities.
    "1/ST Racing stands firmly against the inexcusable actions of trainer Eric Guillot. There is no place in the sport of Thoroughbred racing for racism in any form. Our company will not tolerate the use of hateful and divisive language or behavior.
    "1/ST Racing agrees fully with the New York Racing Association's move to ban Mr. Guillot from racing and will take the same action. Mr. Guillot is no longer welcomed at any 1/ST Racing track."

You can’t make this shit up real life is crazy
    GO LEAFS GO

RX Senior
    people are nuts....grape soda is racist???....again people are nuts

RX Wizard
    What context would it be racist
    It is a bit of a stereotype but nothing really negative
    Fucking stupidity

Lemme get some of that Grape Drank, ummkay?!?!

If he would’ve called him Fanta Grape Soda, he’d be a Nazi! Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
    Lemme get some of that Grape Drank, ummkay?!?!
    Dat's Purple Drank, foo.

RX Wizard
    Dr. Death , just chimed in

RX Junior
    So if you name a horse New York Egg Cream it will be be considered an ethnic slur because it was a popular drink among Jewish people in New York City.

Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Our country is so fucked if you look at it. God help us all. There are more good than bad in this world, but the bad ones have the pull. Scary

Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    I could possibly see if it was called Watermelon. Lol

You ever notice the drink choices in ghetto gas stations? Fanta, grape drinks, all kinds of weird shit🤣

Quote Originally Posted by bigbet1234 View Post
    I could possibly see if it was called Watermelon. Lol

You ever notice the drink choices in ghetto gas stations? Fanta, grape drinks, all kinds of weird shit藍

they have Watermelon Mt Dew now
    GO LEAFS GO

RX Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    they have Watermelon Mt Dew now
    They got a fried chicken one yet?

Yep, a real winner. Go ahead and glorify him.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...ng-racetracks/

Guillot has posted bigoted or racially tinged comments in the past, including a Tweet in August 2020 saying he had given another horse the name “Uncle Ken's Cabin,” an obvious reference to the Harriet Beecher Stowe novel about slavery.

Sounds like he's got a little history with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bodyforlife View Post

Inbreeding in his family history? -900

This is exactly what I envision michael777 looking like. But about 15-20 years older and no teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    Dat's Purple Drank, foo.

I was going the Dave Chappelle route, but I’d rather have this!!!

Why are black people so sensitive?

Why are they offended every chance they can dig up?

That trainer could have offended 50 other people of different ethnicities along the way and nobody would give a shit.

But black people? Drop the damned sledgehammer. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
    In my personal experiences, they are no more sensitive than any other race.

In many of these types of things that get headlines, its white libtards being sensitive on behalf of blacks.

Why are they offended every chance they can dig up?

That trainer could have offended 50 other people of different ethnicities along the way and nobody would give a shit.

But black people? Drop the damned sledgehammer. Why?
    Nice stereotype. And of course, disregard that this guy appears to be a scumbag.

Stereotype?

Where? What?

Scumbag is your opinion. He doesn't mean shit to me. I could care less who he names his horses after.

Would he have been de-tracked had he named his horse Trump when everyone knows he hates Trump?

Nice stereotype. And of course, disregard that this guy appears to be a scumbag.
    PS You just proved my point.

Stereotype?

Where? What?

Scumbag is your opinion. He doesn't mean shit to me. I could care less who he names his horses after.

Would he have been de-tracked had he named his horse Trump when everyone knows he hates Trump?
    And now a false equivalency

-being given a new name “in honor of a TVG analyst,” and followed that with a Black fist emoji

-Guillot has posted bigoted or racially tinged comments in the past, including a Tweet in August 2020 saying he had given another horse the name “Uncle Ken's Cabin,” an obvious reference to the Harriet Beecher Stowe novel about slavery.

Sure thing Michelangelo. I'm sure him being a scumbag is only my opinion. I honestly thought more of you to continue with this nonsense. The only point I proved is the blind eye you seem to want to cast to bullshit like this.

IF, it was me I would have named my horse Secretariat 2...

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory Willie99's Avatar
    Home of Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun & Looney Libs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    Inbreeding in his family history? -900

This is exactly what I envision michael777 looking like. But about 15-20 years older and no teeth.
    Dude's a horse trainer that's made $ 13 million

C'mon man

That's more than an entire redneck county or a square mile in the some urban area with 1 million voters
    Free daycare, preschool, college, healthcare, prescriptions, it's all free people. Redirect police funding, navigate away from oil, the Green New deal, pack the SC 😆

And now a false equivalency

-being given a new name “in honor of a TVG analyst,” and followed that with a Black fist emoji

-Guillot has posted bigoted or racially tinged comments in the past, including a Tweet in August 2020 saying he had given another horse the name “Uncle Ken's Cabin,” an obvious reference to the Harriet Beecher Stowe novel about slavery.

Sure thing Michelangelo. I'm sure him being a scumbag is only my opinion. I honestly thought more of you to continue with this nonsense. The only point I proved is the blind eye you seem to want to cast to bullshit like this.
    Like I said, you just continue to prove my point. You wanna answer my Trump analogy? I noticed you skipped right by that.

Let's forget it, bfl. You're easily offended. I'm not. Let's leave it at that.