Forum: MAIN FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Quarterbacks in the draft

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1, 2 and 4 are locks

1)Lawrence
    2)Wilson
    4)Jamarr Chase

I would be shocked if SF drafted Jones 3rd.
    My money is on Lance for that spot
    2017 Super Bowl Champs

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
    Why would I care what happened at Georgia?! I couldnít careless about what happens with the Dawgs, and Kirby is just another overrated and overpaid Coach who will be there far too long because they paid him too much money and feel obligated to stick with the Alum...
    just being from Georgia I assumed that you might .. Georgia fans are the ones that floated all kinda BS about him out into the public

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    Impossible to tell until he hits the field in NFL games. Real ones. Not preseason. And that really goes for any of these guys.

The one thing you can't replicate with any games or drills before the draft is the speed at which the game moves at the next level. It's night and day. Some QB brains can make the jump and adjust. Some just will never get it. Moves too fast for the processing unit between the ears.

It's even harder to evaluate the QB's from schools like Alabama and Ohio St. The guys they throw to are usually WIDE open. It's just not the same windows that some other QBs had to work with.
    Agree plus they have terrific pro like OLmen. Ohio State has yet to have a good QB in the NFL all have been busts or meh at best. Pretty much the same for 'Bama since Joe Namath. Tua and Hurts that remains to be seen.
    "Just cover baby!"

Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    Jones will be a good, maybe even a top notch NFL QB.

He is a tall, accomplished pocket passer
    Pocket passer?? This is 2021 every team seeks a mobile QB, who can run and scramble from the get go. Perhaps later in their careers they can adapt to being a pocket passer if they've been successful enough.
    "Just cover baby!"

Yes we all know that, until they play in the big NFL it is not certain how they will perform.

The point I was making is that Jones is high NFL potential as a pocket passer and I prefer him over Fields and Lance, their performance is based too much based upon running in college, and running is much more difficult and risky in the NFL. IMO they are huge risks since they depend on running. Mahomes great, sure, but is already hobbled from running too often, maybe he will learn to just run 1-2 a game and not take the hits and IMO he can be a top pocket passer, not sure Fields or Lance can be...
    Understood. I personally don't like Mac Jones at the NFL level. But like I said... Impossible to know until the rubber hits the road at the NFL level. Too risky of a pick IMO to go #3 overall.

I personally think SF takes Lance or Fields at #3.

RX
    Not sure what your seeing but Fields and Mahomes couldnt be more different. Mahomes was a prolific mostly pass 1st Air Raid offense that required him to make every throw for an expansive route tree. Conversely Fields operated in a run 1st spread offense. Mahomes relies on his arm talent/ability to read the coverage #1 to move the chains. Fields uses his mobility and athletism allowing his speed guys to get open. Accuracy and decision making were some of his weaknesses. Fields is a 6"2 physical specimen while Mahomes has always had a tall slim build. Other than the slight similarity of their skin color they have little in common. Fields comp would be more like a smaller, less physical Cam Newton coming out of college. However Id give Fields the edge in natural passing ability at this stage of there careers.

Quote Originally Posted by theticket_22 View Post
    Fields comp would be more like a smaller, less physical Cam Newton coming out of college. However Id give Fields the edge in natural passing ability at this stage of there careers.
    Agree. Was thinking of posting the same thing as I read the first half of your post, then you finished it up by beating me to it.

RX Senior
    Fields is gonna be a lot better and more consistent than Cam , even if he doesn't have that one insane MVP year that Cam did

Fields is a much, much, much better passer than Cam. He is going to be a stud if he stays healthy.

He will start in SF this season, and will likely be playing into January

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Avocado33 View Post
    Fields is gonna be a lot better and more consistent than Cam , even if he doesn't have that one insane MVP year that Cam did

Fields is a much, much, much better passer than Cam. He is going to be a stud if he stays healthy.

He will start in SF this season, and will likely be playing into January
    Absolutely Agree .. Massive tools for a QB, great aptitude .. He is oozing talent and his skills are polished not raw

RX Senior
    imagine winning the heisman and then still getting outshined by jamarr chase in the draft
    like how insanely special is that kid. can't wait to see all the corners he's gonna beat next season.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Absolutely Agree .. Massive tools for a QB, great aptitude .. He is oozing talent and his skills are polished not raw
    FWIW...Todd McShay's 4.0 draft now has Fields being selected by NE after trading up.
    "Just cover baby!"

Lmao! The 49ers are testing to see how stupid the rest of the League is to trade Jimmy G for a first round pick. Surely, they’re not this stupid. Wet noodle, aka Jimmy G, sucks, and the 49ers know it...

Lmao! The 49ers are testing to see how stupid the rest of the League is to trade Jimmy G for a first round pick. Surely, they’re not this stupid. Wet noodle, aka Jimmy G, sucks, and the 49ers know it...
    I'm with ya Matt. Word around here is that he may end up back with the Patriots. I don't want him. I pray that doesn't happen. Never was ready to crown Jimmy G.

I'm just hoping that San Fran didn't throw a wrench into what I think was Belichick's plan to get Mack Jones when they traded up to #3.

Iím not a huge believer in Jimmy G. But...

Him or Cam? I think thatís a no brainer. Jimmy G is no Tom Brady. But heís a serviceable QB that can win in this league if he stays healthy. We all saw Cam last year. God awful.

If you like 5 yard out routes being thrown at the feet of your receivers on a consistent basis? Cam is your guy.

I’m not a huge believer in Jimmy G. But...

Him or Cam? I think that’s a no brainer. Jimmy G is no Tom Brady. But he’s a serviceable QB that can win in this league if he stays healthy. We all saw Cam last year. God awful.

If you like 5 yard out routes being thrown at the feet of your receivers on a consistent basis? Cam is your guy.
    No doubt, Cam sucks. No doubt, Jimmy G is "serviceable". But we know that he was just the first secure piece in a bigger Belichick plan. The question is, what is that bigger plan? And I hope it's bigger than Jimmy G.

Him or Cam? I think that’s a no brainer. Jimmy G is no Tom Brady. But he’s a serviceable QB that can win in this league if he stays healthy. We all saw Cam last year. God awful.

How about neither. Cam was a garbage move to begin with too. Bringing in more garbage might win you a couple more games, but it’s not gonna get you the job done...

San Fran might end up having the most talent in the League, and they know they can’t win a SB with Wet Noodle, and neither can anyone else. Won’t even come close, again...

Quote Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
    No doubt, Cam sucks. No doubt, Jimmy G is "serviceable". But we know that he was just the first secure piece in a bigger Belichick plan. The question is, what is that bigger plan? And I hope it's bigger than Jimmy G.
    Surely it is...

How about neither. Cam was a garbage move to begin with too. Bringing in more garbage might win you a couple more games, but it’s not gonna get you the job done...

San Fran might end up having the most talent in the League, and they know they can’t win a SB with Wet Noodle, and neither can anyone else. Won’t even come close, again...
    Oh I agree with neither for sure. But if Garoppolo is the plan C due to things not falling your way with plan A and B? I'd take him all day over Cam. And it's not really even close.

Jimmy G is a stud
    2017 Super Bowl Champs

RX Senior

An important ability to have is AVAILability, and Jimmy G is an injury prone QB. So that’s a huge if.

Jimmy G has proven to be good enough to not completely fuck it up for a team, if he has a very good supporting cast. If Jimmy G was working with the garbage New England has offensively, he’d look awful

Quote Originally Posted by CHOPTALK View Post
    Jimmy G is a stud
    I’d love to see him go to New Orleans then...

I’d love to see him go to New Orleans then...
    Me too. Give Chop his wish. Please.

RX Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitosway View Post
    Pocket passer?? This is 2021 every team seeks a mobile QB, who can run and scramble from the get go. Perhaps later in their careers they can adapt to being a pocket passer if they've been successful enough.
    like RG3?
    Vincent Jones?
    Michael Vick?
    they never adapted to pocket passer
    will Wentz adapt?
    will Trubisky adapt?
    Watson has
    will Mahomes need to adapt he’s getting dinged

how have pocket QBs Brady, Brees, Rivers, done, did they play effectively for >18 years?

IMO it’s clear QBs can’t run in the NFL against the HGH mutants on defense these days

like RG3?
    Vincent Jones?
    Michael Vick?
    they never adapted to pocket passer
    will Wentz adapt?
    will Trubisky adapt?
    Watson has
    will Mahomes need to adapt he’s getting dinged

how have pocket QBs Brady, Brees, Rivers, done, did they play effectively for >18 years?

IMO it’s clear QBs can’t run in the NFL against the HGH mutants on defense these days
    Cunningham YES one of the originals
    Vick I'd say yes but DOG gate hurt him. Still a pretty good career.
    Vincent Jones WTF is that? Do you mean Vince Young?

Now let's go to the present era...

Mahomes is great he'll adapt
    Allen very good he'll adapt
    Wilson great, adapted.
    Goff pocket QB stock is DOWN
    Kyler Murray very good young mobile QB
    Jimmy G pocket, injury prone, stock is down.

Winston mobile/remains to be seen about pocket QBing and future
    Hill mobile
    Bridgwater mobile
    Jones mobile
    Prescott mobile
    Hurts mobile
    Rodgers not as mobile as he use to be but adapted to the pocket and can still move around at 37.
    More mobile QB's
    Cam, Darnold, Tua, Jackson, Burrow, Carr, Herbert and theme goes on and on and on...

Young talented QBs who will be drafted high in the draft all mobile, Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance. The trend continues on and on and on. All QBs from early in their careers in this era, can run and be mobile and throw on the run and if they can have success and still be in the league by the time they're 30 they can adjust to the pocket if need be. QB's can't be statues from the start of their careers they need legs to motor.
    "Just cover baby!"

Quote Originally Posted by carlitosway View Post

Cunningham YES one of the originals
    Loved his game. Those Eagle teams deserved more. Great defense. Just couldn't get over the hump. Buddy just didn't pay enough attention to the offense...

Back in the day.. When a QB would double as a punter. Amazing. He was a great punter too. One of the best punts ever. I think it was in Buffalo.

Danny White used to double as a punter too in Dallas. Danny White. Probably the most under appreciated QB of all time. He was good. Just couldn't get Dallas over the hump in the early 80's. Couple NFC championship games. He wasn't Roger. So Dallas never loved him.