Forum: MAIN FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: zero turn mowers

  1. #1 zero turn mowers 
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    3,804
    Anyone have one or an opinion over the old style tractor style mower.
    Looking at the cub 50 inch, we have a good amount of hillside and it's got a few bumps in places.
    Videos on YouTube have some decent slope mowing but its tough to gage the slope on video.

    Anyone with experience slope wise with zero turns?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,085
    Straight up hill and 45 degree angle up hill, no problem. I tend to slide going downhill or on a steeper grade sideways. Good thing it's only 1 of my rental properties, don't care what the lawn looks like. Zero turns are awesome though. I have a 42" Toro. Saves a lot of time vs a standard rider
    If I told you how many my friend is predicting dead from this....you’d fall out your chair.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
    Straight up hill and 45 degree angle up hill, no problem. I tend to slide going downhill or on a steeper grade sideways. Good thing it's only 1 of my rental properties, don't care what the lawn looks like. Zero turns are awesome though. I have a 42" Toro. Saves a lot of time vs a standard rider
    Nice thanks...How steep can you go before you slip going sideways on grade?
    I have at least 25 or 30 degree spots.

    Seems like flipping isn't a factor so much but slipping is?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,085
    25-30 degrees shouldn't be too bad
    If I told you how many my friend is predicting dead from this....you’d fall out your chair.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    RX Junior chrishansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    1,671
    I would pay up and target more commercial. If you have a large area and it’s a bit rough in places then you will get your money worth over time. The more commercial models can take a beating. Toro is very solid.

    Zeros are night and day difference. They cut higher and better if you are also trying to get a sharp looking yard. And they can move quick. Slopes aren’t much of a problem either. They stick and handle pretty well. You’ll quickly be pleased with a zero.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    RX Local MattyMatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    17,701
    Spend the money, get something like an Exmark, Scag, Gravely...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    2,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozzie View Post
    Anyone have one or an opinion over the old style tractor style mower.
    Looking at the cub 50 inch, we have a good amount of hillside and it's got a few bumps in places.
    Videos on YouTube have some decent slope mowing but its tough to gage the slope on video.

    Anyone with experience slope wise with zero turns?
    I've had 7 zero turn mowers in the last 25-30 years. Gravely, Simplicity, and Ferris. I have a lot of grass to mow. It's unreal how much time they save. I just traded for a new Ferris mower. They have suspension in them and are really smooth riding compared to most.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    RX Junior ANOTHERDAY?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NY NY
    Posts
    3,918
    My close friend swears by Wright/Ferris
    She acts like everythings normal, while in her mind, she's already gone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    3,804
    Nice thanks everyone..

    I have my eye on this cub that's lightly used..Guy down the road is moving.
    I'm going to ask if he'll let me cut a field today with it for a test drive...I just need to get one quick.
    I'll go deep on the suggestions before I buy


    Thank you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit barman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    46,169
    Consider getting some quotes for a straight mowing by commercial contractors

    select the one which looks best and then tip them 50% to inspire consistent, reliable service

    Do the edging and perimeter trimming yourself

    Much like hiring a housekeeper for twice monthly service, your life will appreciate the freed-up time
    If your mouth gets dry, You Plenty High
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by barman View Post
    Consider getting some quotes for a straight mowing by commercial contractors

    select the one which looks best and then tip them 50% to inspire consistent, reliable service

    Do the edging and perimeter trimming yourself

    Much like hiring a housekeeper for twice monthly service, your life will appreciate the freed-up time

    Good to see you pal.
    Yeah, it's a bit of a farm situation now too, We ended up buying a second place just up the road.
    I'm going to hire someone to deal the beach house yard for sure.
    Hopefully you and the wife make it out sometime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •