Boston Globe Article - " Taxing season for 'pen' "

Search

Tokens
Taxing season for 'pen
Sox relievers feel pinch in early April stretch
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff, 4/13/2004

Just when it looked like the Red Sox bullpen -- billed as one of baseball's best entering the season -- had overcome the ravages of last week's 13-inning nightmare in Baltimore, a powerful aftershock struck Sunday, all but knocking the beleaguered relief corps to its knees.

"It's been a long week and a half," said closer Keith Foulke, who already has pitched more pressure-packed innings (5 2/3) than the five he worked last year for the A's in the Division Series against the Sox. "It feels like Opening Day was a month ago."

Foulke said he already felt the toll, and he was far from alone after Sunday's draining 6-4 victory in 12 innings over the Blue Jays. Mike Timlin took such a hit for the pen Friday -- throwing 36 pitches without his best stuff in a losing cause -- that the Sox could not use him Sunday when they needed him badly. Nor could they turn to Scott Williamson, who felt soreness in his surgically repaired right elbow while warming up Sunday.

The Sox squeezed 12 pitches out of Alan Embree, who managed to retire two of the four Toronto batters he faced, appearing for the fifth time in the first seven games.

"I wasn't 100 percent," Embree said, "but I was good enough to get in there."

So it went as the Sox entered the offday yesterday hoping 48 hours of rest before tonight's game against the Orioles would ease the bullpen trauma. While Sox starters are 3-1 with a 3.20 ERA through the first seven games, the relievers have gone 1-2 with a 4.24 ERA and have converted two of three save opportunities.

"We'll be OK if we don't play two 12-plus-inning games a week the rest of the year," general manager Theo Epstein said. "If we do, we might have to go with a 15-man staff."

The Sox already have expanded the staff to 12 from 11, designating utilityman Brian Daubach for assignment to make room for a long reliever, Frank Castillo, from Triple A. A second farmhand, Mark Malaska, was summoned to fill the void when Ramiro Mendoza landed on the disabled list with right shoulder tendinitis.

But while Malaska flourished Sunday, retiring all six batters he faced in the 11th and 12th innings to nail down the victory, the Sox encountered another problem with the performance of Bobby Jones. The lefthander, who walked four of the last five batters he faced in Baltimore last Thursday to force in the decisive run, failed to find the strike zone again Sunday, walking two batters on eight pitches in the 11th inning before Malaska rescued him.

"Jonesy got squeezed a little bit, for real," catcher Jason Varitek said of the umpiring. "But you can't make excuses because when you throw a lot of balls, you're not going to get that borderline strike."

Epstein expressed support for Jones, though it remains to be seen how long the backing will last. Because baseball rules prevent the Sox from calling up farmhands who have options until 10 days into the minor league season, Jones might survive long enough to get another chance. Saturday will mark the 10th day of Pawtucket's season. The next candidate is lefthander Tim Hamulack, whom Jones edged out in spring training for the final spot in the pen.

While Jones clearly needs to correct his mechanics, his bullpen mates may need little more than the 48-hour respite to regain their strength. The relievers have faced several challenges, including traveling from Fort Myers, Fla., to Atlanta to Baltimore to Boston over eight days, with the last leg turning into an all-nighter because of mechanical problems with their chartered jet.

"Going from warm weather to cold weather also may be getting to us a little bit, but we'll be just fine," Foulke said. "I guarantee you that. "

Timlin has struggled to find his touch in his first four outings, surrendering six runs in 3 1/3 innings. Batters have hit .467 against him and he has issued three walks, as many as he allowed in his first 31 appearances of last year through June 21.

"April is always tough," Timlin said. "It's because of the cold. It's because you're trying to get into a groove. It's because there's a different concentration level and you're trying to find out where your spot is."

Timlin told Terry Francona he could pitch Sunday, but the manager spared him.

"For the bullpen, the day off is going to be great," Timlin said.

No one seemed to need rest more than Williamson, though he downplayed the severity of his soreness. Williamson said he would have entered the game Sunday if bullpen coach Euclides Rojas had not intervened.

"He said, `I really didn't like the way you warmed up. In your face, it looked like you were hurting a little bit,' " Williamson said. "As a player, you're like, `Yeah, I'm all right, because I'm a competitor,' but Eukie knows us all maybe better than we know ourselves. He's looking out for your career. You've got to respect that. There's a lot of people who don't even care. They say, `Go in there.' "

Williamson went home with a stock of anti-inflammatories.

The rest period may be crucial since the Sox begin a stretch tonight in which they play 32 games in 33 days, including seven in the next two weeks against the Yankees.

"It's one of those things where you've got to just weather the storm," Foulke said. "We'll come around with guns a-blazing here before too long."

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

Tokens
Swinging and missing
Garciaparra and Nixon glaring absences in lineup
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff, 4/13/2004

If the first seven games are any indication, it may be a long month for the Red Sox offense without Nomar Garciaparra and Trot Nixon. The Sox knew they were sacrificing some punch in replacing Todd Walker with Pokey Reese, but they hardly expected to start the season batting .236, worse than all but two teams in the American League.

ADVERTISEMENT

Only the Yankees (.208) and Blue Jays (.217) entered last night hitting for a lower average than the Sox, who led the majors last year in batting, runs, extra-base hits, slugging, and on-base percentage, among other categories. The bottom of the order has struggled the most, as the sixth through ninth batters have combined to hit only .179 (19 for 106). Those spots generally have been occupied by Jason Varitek (.190), Gabe Kapler (.217), Mark Bellhorn (.174), and Reese (.211), though Varitek and Bellhorn have posted robust on-base percentages, with Varitek at .433 and Bellhorn at .424.

The reigning AL batting champion, Bill Mueller, also has sputtered batting second in the order. After starting the season 6 for 14 (.429), he has gone hitless in 19 at-bats, the longest hitless streak of his career. Johnny Damon's relatively hot start (.318 with a .348 on-base percentage) at the top of the order had partly compensated for Mueller's slump, but Damon has missed the last two games with a badly bruised right knee. He hopes to return to the lineup tonight when the Sox open a three-game series against the Orioles at Fenway.

Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz generally have carried the offense. Ramirez has hit .414 with a homer, six RBIs, and a .469 on-base percentage, while Ortiz has hit .304 with three homers, eight RBIs, and a .467 on-base percentage.

The Sox hope Garciaparra (right Achilles' tendinitis) and Nixon (mildly herniated disk) return by early May.

"Things will get better as we go forward," general manager Theo Epstein said. "Things will normalize. We haven't been able to develop a rhythm yet with our personnel or with our game situations, but we will."

A night at home

The Sox would be plenty pleased if Derek Lowe fares at well at Fenway this year as he did in 2003. Lowe, who is scheduled to make his season debut at Fenway tonight, went 11-2 with a 3.21 ERA last year at home and 6-5 with a 6.11 ERA on the road. "I pitched poorly on the road," said Lowe, who started this season by allowing only two runs over six innings in beating the Orioles last week in Baltimore. "That was last year. Luckily, I pitched fairly effectively the first game [on the road this year]. But I look forward to pitching at home. I just like the whole atmosphere here." . . . Epstein expects to know by midweek whether Brian Daubach has cleared waivers. Daubach indicated to Epstein he would accept an assignment to Triple A Pawtucket if he clears. Daubach was designated for assignment Saturday to make room for long reliever Frank Castillo . . . Curt Schilling hosted his "Breakfast with Schilling" promotion for Dunkin' Donuts for a crowd of about 250 at the .406 Club. Schilling was joined by Epstein, president and CEO Larry Lucchino, and manager Terry Francona. During a Q&A session, Schilling inspired some appreciative laughter when he referred to the general angst that accompanies Sox defeats, saying, "Even though the fans can't let a loss go within 24 hours, this team can." . . . The Sox could not accommodate the Beanpot baseball tournament this year because they need to resod much of the field, including the entire infield, after the harsh winter. The work is scheduled for April 20-21, which coincides with the tournament. The Beanpot, involving Boston College, Harvard, Northeastern, and UMass, will be moved to Campanelli Stadium in Brockton . . . Cal Ripken and his brother Bill will hold a clinic tomorrow at Fenway for 40 children from the Boys & Girls Club of Metro West as they promote their book, "Play Baseball The Ripken Way." The Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation will donate $20,000 to the Boys & Girls Club, and NikeGO, through the foundation, will donate $100,000 in baseball and softball equipment to the Boston public schools.

Tokens
anyone think the day of rest will be enough here for the 'pen' to hold the score down?

game might not be played I hear rain is supposed to come in hard...

anyone have a better weather forcast?

Tokens
Boston vs. Baltimore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preview
Baltimore at Boston
VENUE: Fenway Park

GAME: Baltimore Orioles (3-4) at Boston Red Sox (4-3).

TIME: Tuesday, 7:05 p.m. EDT.

Fenway Park is regarded as one of the best hitters' parks in baseball.

Derek Lowe doesn't seem to mind.

Lowe looks to continue his home success when the Boston Red Sox begin a three-game series against the Baltimore Orioles.

Since becoming a full-time starter with the Red Sox in 2002, Lowe is 20-6 with a 2.67 ERA in 65 starts at Fenway. The right-hander was 11-2 with a 3.21 ERA at home last season.

Lowe beat the Orioles in his first start this season, allowing two runs and seven hits over six innings in a 10-3 victory at Camden Yards on Wednesday.

"I've faced them a lot, they've faced me," Lowe said. "It comes down to executing. But I look forward to pitching at home. I enjoy pitching here as you can see by the numbers."

After losing the series opener, the Red Sox rebounded with two straight wins over Toronto, including a 6-4 victory in 12 innings Sunday.

David Ortiz continued his fast start, belting a two-run homer in the 12th to give new Boston manager Terry Francona a 2-1 record in his first series at Fenway.

"Those people in the first couple of rows know some curse words," Francona said. "Other than that, I love calling this place home."

Ortiz is batting .304 (7-for-23) with three home runs and eight RBIs this season. The slugging designated hitter had just two home runs by the end of May last season.

"This will get us going," Boston's Kevin Millar said. "This team gets scary if we start doing stuff like this. This is the kind of win that we had last year. That shows the character of this team. This team is going to do a lot of winning."

Boston hopes to have center fielder Johnny Damon back in the lineup Tuesday. Damon has been sidelined since fouling a ball off his left knee Friday.

Right-hander Eric DuBose surrendered three home runs in a 10-1 loss at Tampa Bay Sunday.

Baltimore lost two of three at Tropicana Field following a season-opening four-game split against the Red Sox.

"We just have to let it go and move on to the next series," Orioles catcher Javy Lopez said.

It hasn't taken Lopez long to adjust to the American League. He is batting .577 (15-for-26) with two home runs and seven RBIs this season after spending 12 years with Atlanta.

STANDINGS: Orioles - 4th place, 1 GB, AL East. Red Sox - 1st place (tied), AL East.

ORIOLES PROBABLE STARTER: Kurt Ainsworth (0-1, 37.80 ERA). Ainsworth gets a shot at redemption after he recorded only five outs in a 10-3 loss to Boston on Wednesday. The 25-year-old right-hander was roughed up for seven runs and seven hits. In three career appearances against the Red Sox, Ainsworth is 0-2 with a 30.00 ERA.

RED SOX PROBABLE STARTER: Lowe (1-0, 3.00 ERA). Lowe is 8-6 with a 3.23 ERA in 30 appearances, including 12 starts, against Baltimore.

OFFENSIVE LEADERS: Orioles - Lopez, .577 avg. and 7 RBIs; Lopez and Larry Bigbie, 2 HRs; Lopez and Melvin Mora, 5 runs; Brian Roberts and Luis Matos, 2 SBs. Red Sox - Manny Ramirez, .414 avg.; Ortiz, 3 HRs, 8 RBIs and 6 runs; Damon, Mark Bellhorn and Ellis Burks, 1 SB.

SEASON SERIES: 2-2.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Orioles - RF Jay Gibbons is batting .185 (5-for-27) lifetime against Lowe. ... Baltimore has hit into an AL-high nine double plays. ... 2B Roberts is 5-for-12 since opening the season 0-for-15. Red Sox - 3B Bill Mueller, the AL batting champ last season, is hitless in his last 19 at-bats. ... 1B Millar, OF Damon and DH Ortiz are a combined 5-for-6 with a home run against Ainsworth. ... LF Ramirez has either scored or a knocked in a run in all seven games this season.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Orioles - 1-2 on the road; Red Sox - 2-1 at home.

INJURIES: Orioles - INF Jerry Hairston Jr. (finger), 15-day DL; OF Marty Cordova (elbow), 15-day DL; LHP Omar Daal (shoulder), 60-day DL. Red Sox - OF Damon (knee), day-to-day; IF Nomar Garciaparra (Achilles'), 15-day DL; OF Trot Nixon (back), 15-day DL; LHP Lenny Dinardo (shoulder), 15-day DL; RHP Byung-Hyun Kim (shoulder), 15-day DL; RHP Ramiro Mendoza (shoulder), 15-day DL; RHP Jason Shiell (elbow), 15-day DL; RHP Reynaldo Garcia (elbow), 60-day DL.

Tokens
Sox Pen (available):
Foulke
Williamson
Timlin
Embree (L)
Jones (L)
Malaska (L)
McCarty (L) [not sure if they will use him again but they may need to]

Pitched Sunday:
Embree
Foulke (1.1 inn)
Jones
Mlask

Pitched Saturday:
Foulke (1.1 inn)

Pitched Friday:
Mlask
Timlin
Embree
McCarty

Likely relief today:
_________

Timlin
My guess is that Timlin will be ready to go but I question his confidence - and the teams confidence in him. In his last outing he took the loss (Friday) giving up 4 hits and 3 runs. He did strike out two... He also pitched last Thursday giving up 1 walk and getting one K.
Timlin has struggled to find his touch in his first four outings, surrendering six runs in 3 1/3 innings. Batters have hit .467 against him and he has issued three walks, as many as he allowed in his first 31 appearances of last year through June 21.

""April is always tough," Timlin said. "It's because of the cold. It's because you're trying to get into a groove. It's because there's a different concentration level and you're trying to find out where your spot is."

Timlin told Terry Francona he could pitch Sunday, but the manager spared him."
_________

Williamson?
He was sore in the elbow on Sunday, and the team needs him to not be sore. He hasnt pitched since last Thursday when he threw 2 full innings giving up only 1 hit. He wanted to go in Sunday so he'll really wanna get in today. I gotta wonder how strong he'll be after 2 nights of loading up on "anti-inflammitories"

"No one seemed to need rest more than Williamson, though he downplayed the severity of his soreness. Williamson said he would have entered the game Sunday if bullpen coach Euclides Rojas had not intervened.

"He said, `I really didn't like the way you warmed up. In your face, it looked like you were hurting a little bit,' " Williamson said. "As a player, you're like, `Yeah, I'm all right, because I'm a competitor,' but Eukie knows us all maybe better than we know ourselves. He's looking out for your career. You've got to respect that. There's a lot of people who don't even care. They say, `Go in there.' "

Williamson went home with a stock of anti-inflammatories."

________

Jones
I can't imagine he will play the way he has been throwing - but like the article says these guys need rest... Hanging him out to dry may be an option in a crunch.

"But while Malaska flourished Sunday, retiring all six batters he faced in the 11th and 12th innings to nail down the victory, the Sox encountered another problem with the performance of Bobby Jones. The lefthander, who walked four of the last five batters he faced in Baltimore last Thursday to force in the decisive run, failed to find the strike zone again Sunday, walking two batters on eight pitches in the 11th inning before Malaska rescued him.

"Jonesy got squeezed a little bit, for real," catcher Jason Varitek said of the umpiring. "But you can't make excuses because when you throw a lot of balls, you're not going to get that borderline strike."

Epstein expressed support for Jones, though it remains to be seen how long the backing will last. Because baseball rules prevent the Sox from calling up farmhands who have options until 10 days into the minor league season, Jones might survive long enough to get another chance. Saturday will mark the 10th day of Pawtucket's season. The next candidate is lefthander Tim Hamulack, whom Jones edged out in spring training for the final spot in the pen.

While Jones clearly needs to correct his mechanics, his bullpen mates may need little more than the 48-hour respite to regain their strength. The relievers have faced several challenges, including traveling from Fort Myers, Fla., to Atlanta to Baltimore to Boston over eight days, with the last leg turning into an all-nighter because of mechanical problems with their chartered jet."
_______

Embree
I also don't see why embree would pitch today - other than in a specific situation where he would face one or two batters strategically, and as he is the only other lefty other than Jones and McCarty (Malaska probably wont play today after his 2 innings sunday) then he may have to suck it up and get out there - however sunday he said he wasnt 100% but pitched anyway, so chances are he isnt 100% today either. He worked only .1 inning on Friday and 1 inning on Thursday...

"The Sox squeezed 12 pitches out of Alan Embree, who managed to retire two of the four Toronto batters he faced, appearing for the fifth time in the first seven games.

"I wasn't 100 percent," Embree said, "but I was good enough to get in there."

_______

Likely to rest today:
_________

Foulke
I cant imagine he will be ready to go again after pitching all weekend (granted only 2.2 innings but stressfull nonetheless)

Malaska
After 2 good innings sunday I dont think they are ready to double their money on this guy - having said that he is looking the strongest of all the lefties... although it is really too early to tell.

_______

Tough one to call cause you never really know how much a day of rest can help - especially after a 3 day stretch that included 2 extra innings games...

Assuming Foulke and Malaska sit today I am gonna go out on a limb and expect to see Timlin be the first righty to step in for relief of Lowe today - and assuming Lowe can make it 6 innings like he did last week, that leaves the last 3 innings a mystery. It is possible that we'll have a lefty in for at least part of one inning - but given the rest situation I will guess we'll see a left for one full inning. So thats Lowe 1-6, Timlin 7, Embree or Jones 8, and who for 9? Williamson wants it to be him I'm sure - and he should be the MOST rested since he hasnt gone since Thursday either. However, I'm not sure who they go to in a crunch to end the game? Wakefield is set for tomorrow - and they have used them in these situations before - but I dont know if they would consider that worth it this early on prior to their weekend with the yankees as well.

In summary my point is that the sox dont have much for options after lowe leaves and their healtiest, most rested pitchers are also the ones that have been performing the worst this year (Timlin and Jones).

Tokens
just realized that the sox scored 7 in the second against ainsworth last week

roughed him up...

However - Damon went 5-5 in that game, two of which were off ainsworth. They say that Damon "should" be ready to go today BUT even if he does go he CANT be 100% and I cant expect him to go two for two again vs ainsworth... If he's NOT in then the leadoff hitter will likely be Bellhorn again, who is great at getting walks but I'm not sure what else. My guess is that it will favor baltimore if Damon does start today in that he just plain CANT be 100%. Just a guess though.

Crespo will is the other factor in my though on damon - if Damon Doesnt start - then bellhorn will lead off and Crespo will fill probably the 8th spot in the lineup. He hasnt done too bad over the last two games: Two games ago he lead off and managed two hits on 4 AB. Sunday he went 1 for 5 in the 8 slot yet did score a run.

Tokens
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles12apr12,0,2434293.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball
O's Mazzilli stays calm in storm of rout by Rays
Tejada, pitchers struggle in 10-1 loss in series finale

By Joe Christensen
Sun Staff

April 12, 2004

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - This time, there was no managerial tirade. The little jars in the visiting clubhouse with all the goodies - Twizzlers, Snickers and Hot Tamales - were still intact.

The Orioles had just been embarrassed yesterday in a 10-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, their second defeat in three games at Tropicana Field, but none of the tables or garbage cans had been overturned.

It was first-year manager Lee Mazzilli's moment, and he chose to let it pass.

"I didn't say anything [to the team] yet," he said as the Orioles quietly packed for Boston, where they begin a three-game series tomorrow night. "I mean, they know they made mistakes."

Miguel Tejada made two errors, Eric DuBose gave up three home runs and reliever John Parrish threw three wild pitches in two innings as the Devil Rays remained in a first-place tie with the Red Sox atop the American League East.

Making it even more frustrating, the Orioles had multiple chances against Tampa Bay starter Victor Zambrano (3-0), but they went hitless in their first eight at-bats with runners in scoring position.

By that time, the Devil Rays already led 5-0 after getting home runs from Aubrey Huff, Jose Cruz and Tino Martinez. Then things turned ugly as Tampa Bay piled on for five runs in its last two at-bats.

Afterward, Mazzilli looked disappointed, but he didn't lash into the team.

"Other than walks, home runs, wild pitches and errors, we played a pretty good game," he said sarcastically. "That's the only way I can look at it."

Eight months ago, under this same dome, the manager of the Orioles handled a similar situation differently. This was the site of one of Mike Hargrove's most defining moments.

Last August, the Orioles arrived in Florida after taking three of four games from Boston at Fenway Park, only to get swept in a three-game series by the Devil Rays.

Tampa Bay won each of those games by narrow margins - 4-3, 4-2 and 6-5 in 10 innings - and once it ended, Hargrove tore into the club. Privately, Orioles management viewed that as a sign he had lost his touch.

Rather than show his team some love when it was down and push harder when it was riding high, Hargrove had done the opposite.

When they went looking for his replacement, the Orioles asked each candidate how he would handle situations like this and Mazzilli gave the answer they wanted.

But that was a virtual test. This was the real thing. Mazzilli has his own methods, and the full-blown clubhouse tirade can wait.

"I'm not satisfied," he said. "I'm not happy with the outcome. I'm not happy with the wild pitches, guys on base, getting behind. You've got to be baseball-savvy out there. I don't [care] if you're down 15-1 or it's 2-1, you've still got to play the game. You've got to play the game right.

"When you're walking guys, or making errors or wild pitches, that's not good. Errors are part of the game, but you've got to minimize it and you've got to regroup and you've got to get picked up the other way."

The Devil Rays capitalized on Tejada's first error to score an unearned run in the first inning. Huff's homer made it 2-0 in the third, and Tampa Bay's pesky leadoff hitter, Carl Crawford, practically stole a run in the fifth.

DuBose (0-2) walked Crawford on five pitches, and that turned into the equivalent of a triple. Crawford stole second and third, giving him six stolen bases in seven games. Then, Rocco Baldelli singled past a drawn-in infield making it a 3-0 lead.

At that point, the Orioles were still in the game waiting to capitalize on the myriad chances they were getting against Zambrano, who posted an unsightly 10.80 ERA against them last season.

The Orioles had their best opportunity in the fourth, when Rafael Palmeiro singled and Javy Lopez walked to start the inning. But Zambrano got Jay Gibbons to ground into a double play and David Segui flied to left, ending that threat.

Zambrano was on a roll. His first two victories had come against the New York Yankees - one in Japan and the other at Tropicana Field on Tuesday, when he won despite walking seven batters.

Yesterday, the Orioles drew just two walks. They were patient enough to get into some good hitters' counts - 3-1 for Palmeiro in the first inning, 2-1 for Gibbons in the fourth - but Zambrano kept making big pitches to finish them off.

"How can you fault anybody who is 3-0, and we've got four wins?" Devil Rays manager Lou Piniella said of Zambrano, who reached three victories in the fewest games since Kevin Appier got three in seven games for the Kansas City Royals in 1995.

Tejada stranded four runners. Gibbons and Segui both stranded three. Segui also got ejected for lashing out at plate umpire Marvin Hudson after taking a called third strike to end the eighth inning.

Asked what Segui said to upset the umpire, Mazzilli said: "I didn't ask him, but it wasn't 'Happy Easter,' I know that."

Copyright © 2004, The Baltimore Sun

Tokens
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes12apr12,0,4461322.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball
Tejada's start has rough end
He goes 0-for-4, makes 2 errors to cap 1st week; shortstop seeks first RBI

By Joe Christensen
Sun Staff

April 12, 2004

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada was as responsible as anyone for yesterday's 10-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and he knew it.

He made two errors. He went 0-for-4 at the plate and he stranded four runners.

"It's a long season, and there are going to be days like that," said Tejada, who played in his 601st consecutive game, stretching the longest active streak in the majors.

With a quick glance at the statistics, Tejada's first week as an Oriole appears fairly successful. Despite his struggles yesterday, he's hitting .300 and those were his first two errors.

But Tejada, who has averaged 117 RBIs during the past four seasons, has yet to drive home a run in seven games and he is 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position.

As a team, the Orioles went hitless in the first eight at-bats with runners in scoring position yesterday. Tejada set the tone when he struck out in the first inning with leadoff man Brian Roberts on second, swinging through three pitches by Devil Rays starter Victor Zambrano.

Tejada took his position and made a fine play up the middle to steal a single from the speedy Carl Crawford. But he made a throwing error on the next ball hit to him and that led to an unearned run.

He also grounded out to end the seventh inning with two runners aboard after Melvin Mora had finally put the Orioles on the scoreboard with a run-scoring single.

Still, Tejada is off to a better start than last season, when he hit just .161 during April before rebounding to finish at .278.

"There's a lot of games left," he said. "We can't start worrying about what happened [yesterday]."

Same starting nine

Seven games into the season, the Orioles' lineup hasn't changed much.

Even yesterday, with a day game after a night game, manager Lee Mazzilli went with his Opening Night lineup.

"I told you, I'm a creature of habit," Mazzilli said. "There's going to be changes here and there, but for the most part, if the guys are healthy, this is the way we're going to go."

Javy Lopez was the designated hitter Friday and caught the final two games of the series. The Orioles have a day off today, so Mazzilli checked with Lopez, just to be sure he was OK and put him back behind the plate yesterday.

Lopez entered the game leading the majors in hitting and went 1-for-3, lowering his average to .577. He went 7-for-12 in the series but put part of the blame on himself after letting three wild pitches from John Parrish get past him during the final two innings.

"I definitely could have been more aggressive," Lopez said. "I don't know what to say, but they were hard pitches to block."

Naimoli's fury

The Devil Rays might be the only team in baseball with a policy prohibiting writers from bringing outside food into the press box, and they're serious about it.

Club owner Vincent Naimoli enforced the policy himself Saturday, when a Sun reporter committed a flagrant violation. The offending reporter, who shall remain nameless, purchased a pizza at a concession stand and attempted to eat it at his press box seat.

After a brief exchange with the reporter, Naimoli threatened to have his credential removed. Naimoli turned the investigation over to his public relations director and stormed off to continue running his perennial last-place team.

Parity in the East?

Checking the standings entering yesterday, no team in the American League East was above .500. The Orioles, Devil Rays and Boston Red Sox were in a three-way tie for first at 3-3.

It marked the first time since May 24, 1989, that no AL East team was above .500 after each had played six games. That day, less than two months into their "Why Not?" season, the Orioles were tied for first with Boston at 21-21.

Around the horn

The Orioles will resume this nine-game trip tomorrow in Boston with Kurt Ainsworth facing Derek Lowe. Sidney Ponson opposes Tim Wakefield on Wednesday and Matt Riley goes against Pedro Martinez on Thursday. ... Tampa Bay now leads its all-time series with the Orioles 50-47.

Copyright © 2004, The Baltimore Sun

Tokens
if they dont play till thursday I would start pedro thursday, and have Wakefield setup for Lowe - that gets them both some work

and on friday I would start schilling, and have one of the woeful bullpen guys set it up for foulke

Tokens
enough chatter

I dont think they will play but if they do I expect the sox pen to blow it.

ainsworth -1.5 +275 (pinny)
ainsworth +1.5 -110 (bodog)

4-0 +6.9 now so I'm playing with someone elses money anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElmaODrisc
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com