PAC 10 2003

Search

Tokens
PAC 10 2003

USC TROJANS O:6 D:6 (11-2)

It can be argued that the Trojans of 2002 were the best team in the nation considering the way they rolled up their opposition to close out the season. Their annihilation of Iowa in the Orange Bowl was impressive to say the least, and HC Pete Carroll has Southern Cal stoked for the 2003 campaign. They do lose the best football player in the nation at the most important position on the field, but they still return loads of talent on both sides of the ball. A new field general must be found, and it looks like the big southpaw Matt Leinart is the frontrunner. OC Norm Chow plans on going back to his short pass quick strike package that should allow whomever’s throwing the rock to adapt faster to the offense. The RB position will be taken over by sophomore Hershel Dennis who’s perfect for rushing and catching the ball out of the backfield. The WR core is loaded with talent, and Mike Williams is back for his sophomore season as well as sure handed Keary Colbert. The O-line is gigantic & returns a plethora of kids with starting experience. This is by far the best O-line USC has had in quite some time. The offense will take some time to adapt to the new faces, but it will become a force later in the season. The D-line is definitely the strongest link of the team, and “The Wild Bunch II” will definitely have opposing QB’s running for their lives. They’re complemented by a very solid LB core headed by JR All PAC 10 LB Matt Grootegoed. The secondary loses a stud in Troy Polamalu, but has plenty of talent to step right in and make a difference. I expect their number’s to drop a bit, but it definitely won’t prohibit the defense from being one of the best stop unit’s in the nation. The Trojans special team’s were god awful in 2002, and can only get better with everyone back. I expect HC Carroll to turn this facet of the game from a glaring weakness into a strength in ’03. USC clearly has the talent on hand to make another run at a national Championship this season. Last season was no fluke, and it looks as if Pete Carroll & his coaching staff have revitalized the program. This team will only get better as the season progresses, and I’ll bet my bottom dollar they go undefeated in the Coliseum this year. The road cost them a shot at the whole enchilada last season, so I expect them to come out extremely focused in every one of their roadies. Their October 25th date in Seattle has PAC 10 Championship written all over it. They might be another year away from winning it all, but they definitely have an excellent shot of doing it in ’03.

-- The Trojans are 5-2 ATS as a road chalk, and 3-1 ATS as a road pup under HC Carroll

UCLA BRUINS O:7 D:7 (8-5)

The Bruins come into the 2003 campaign with a fresh perspective, and look to carry over the momentum from their bowl victory. New HC Karl Dorrell comes over from the NFL to take over the reigns for fired coach Bob Toledo, and he expects to get his alma mater’s football program back in high gear. He inherits a very gifted core of player’s, and only has a few causes for concern. His main concern will be to find a QB that can run his explosive offense. It looks as if QB’s Drew Olsen and Matt Moore will have to battle it out once again. It will be rocky with either of the two since neither is very experienced. The RB position will be filled by shifty little man Tyler Ebell who almost hit the 1000- yard mark in his freshman campaign, and change of pace big man Manuel White. The WR core boasts a solid duo in Tab Perry & Craig Bragg, and they’ll most definitely provide their new QB with some sizeable targets. The O-line is experienced in the middle, but they’ll have to find capable replacements at both of the tackle positions.
This will be a very formidable unit once the QB settles in. The D-line is very experienced, and loaded with talent. The Ball brother’s anchor the line while DT’s Boscchetti & Leisle look to pounce on the run. The LB core is solid, but looking for someone to step up in the middle with the loss of Marcus Reese. He was the leading tackler & defensive MVP from a year ago. The secondary looks like one big clamp. CB Matt Ware returns for his junior season, and he’s the shut down corner with the departure of Ricky Manning. Both safeties return and combined for 6 picks a year ago. It will be tough for opposing QB’s to take advantage of this glove of a unit. The special team’s gets 2 very highly touted recruits to punt and kick, and both returnmen are back from a year ago. UCLA clearly has the talent on hand to win the PAC 10, but it usually takes time for a new coaching staff’s schemes to settle in. They have a very manageable conference road schedule with the only toughy at USC the last game of the season. Opening up in Boulder, and a home date vs. Illinois will give these guys a true barometer test before they invade Norman September 20th. Winning 2 of those 3 games will definitely have them on the right track, and a win over the Huskies at home on October 4th will only help solidify their chances of taking the left coast championship this year.

-- UCLA is 4-0 ATS at home vs. the Big 10, and a solid 24-9 ATS their L/33 non-conf games.

WASHINGTON HUSKIES O:8 D:8 (7-6)

I had these guys pegged as the outright winners of the PAC 10 this season before HC Rick Neuheisel got busted for throwing thousands of dollars down on March Madness tournaments. Now, I just have no idea how the team will react to losing their vocal leader. Ultimately, I think it was a poor decision by the University & it’ll most likely prevent them from going BCS bowling in ’03. Keith Gilbertson, Neuheisel’s OC the L/4 season’s, takes over the reigns. His main concern on offense is to find a running game. The Huskies had their worst ever output on the ground last season, but the O-line returns 4 of 5 from last season’s squad and looks to open up more holes for the Husky backs. QB Cody Pickett returns for his senior season, and will look to be the 2nd Heisman winner in as many years from the PAC 10. He threw for a conference record 4,458 yards last season, and he’s got one of the best WR’s in the country to throw to. WR Reggie Williams is back for his junior season as well as Charles Frederick who gave the team a major boost in production to close out the season. The defense got torched early on last year, but started to come around later in the season. The D-line is loaded with depth and experience, and should improve on last season’s numbers. The LB core returns 4 of the top 6 from a year ago, and is led by ILB Marquise Cooper. The front 7 returns 6 guys that started on last season’s defense, and should have no problem putting more pressure on opposing offenses. The secondary is loaded with depth and talent, and has a pair of giant speedy shut down corners in Roc Alexander & Derrick Johnson. The safeties are more than adequate, and the Husky secondary is one of the best in the country. The special teams won’t be as good this season with a pair of freshman taking over the kicking duties. The PAC 10 really looked like the Huskies for the taking until Maverick got pegged, and it’s hard for me to believe HC Gilbertson will be able to motivate this squad the way Neuheisel could. They have loads of talent on both sides of the ball, so their athleticism could have me eating my words when it’s all said and done. They have 2 tough conference road games, and I’m willing to bet they lose them both SU thus crushing their PAC 10 championship aspirations.

- Washington is 10-4-1 SU their L/15 season openers (lost last season at Michigan).

OREGON STATE BEAVERS O:9 D:6 (8-5)

The Beaver’s bounced back in 2002 after a very disappointing 5-6 campaign the year SI pegged them as the #1 team in the land. The coaching staff gets a facelift as Dennis Erickson leaves for the NFL, and Mike Riley returns to give it another go. He left the program in fine shape, and inherits the OSU program in much better shape then when he first arrived. He’s got a plethora of talent on both sides of the ball to make a serious run at the PAC 10 Championship in ’03. QB Derek Anderson returns for his junior season, and looks to put forth a more consistent season. The PAC 10 ate him alive a year ago, and I bet he puts forth a concentrated effort to erase those demons. RB Steven Jackson was a horse last season rushing for more than 1600 yards, and was voted to the 1st team in the PAC 10. I expect him to have another monster season as he’s got a gigantic line paving the way for him with loads of experience. The WR core will be lead by senior WR James Newson, and it’s loaded with talent. The Beavers return 9 starters from a year ago, and is just loaded with experience. I expect them to eclipse last season’s numbers, and be one of the best offenses in the conference. The defense only returns 6 from a year ago, and loses some major contributors. The D-line loses both DT’s from a year ago, but is still the strength of the stop unit. Both DE’s Happe & Swancutt combined for 16.5 sacks last season, and will be a major force this season. The LB core returns its #2 tackler from a year ago in MLB Seigler, but doesn’t have as much experience. You can only expect the secondaries production to go down with the loss of CB Wethersby, and this could be the defenses Achilles heel throughout the season. The Beaver special teams haven’t been the greatest over the years, but they made strides last season. Both the K and Punter return, but a new return man must be found. OSU has recruited very well, so I expect HC Riley to find himself a solid new top dog. The Beaver program has flourished the last few season’s, and it’s now time for the creator to finish what he started. I expect big things out of Corvalis in ‘03. They have a very potent offense that will be tough to stop, and a very manageable non-conf slate. Winning at least 2 of their 4 conference roadies will definitely have them in PAC 10 contention, and I can honestly see them being undefeated before they head to Autzen Stadium for the 2003 Civil War.

-- OSU was 5-1-1 as a favorite under HC Riley from 1997-98.

ARIZONA STATE SUN DEVILS O:9 D:7 (8-6)

Tempe has big expectations for the Sun devils this season, but HC Dirk Koetter is a competent football man and knows his team has to improve. The team has some solid strengths coming into this year, but also has to put forth an effort to shore up some of its weaknesses. The Sun devils have to get more of a rushing attack going this year if they are to succeed. Last year’s ground attack only yielded 2.55 yards per carry, and that’s just not going to get it done this year. Opposing teams have had a year to look at film on QB Walter, and they’ll find a way to shut him down if the Devils aren’t able to run the ball. The good news is that the O-line returns 7 players with starting experience from a year ago, and the entire RB core is back as well. I expect a huge increase in production on the ground this season, and that will only open up the field more for QB Andrew Walter to shred. He has a capable WR core to work with, but it’s clearly less experienced and lacks punch. Regardless, the ASU offense will still put up huge numbers in ’03 barring injuries. QB Walter is a Heisman candidate for sure, but he won’t have to do a majority of the scoring himself this year. I foresee more of a team effort put forth on offense, which only makes them that much better. The defense suffers a huge loss with the departure of DE Suggs, but it still has some bite. The front 6 returns 4 guys with starting experience, but will take some time to gel. The secondary is clearly the strength of the ”D”. Everyone from a year ago returns and is headed by junior FS Jason Shivers. It’s loaded with depth and experience, and will drive opposing QB’s crazy if a pass rush can be produced. ASU might still be a year away from being a major player, but I can’t ignore what HC Koetter has done in such a short time. Finishing 3rd in the PAC 10 last season was inconceivable after getting drubbed by a bad Nebraska squad to open up the season. The 3rd year of a new coaches usually starts t bare some fruit. I believe that happened last year, so ASU is clearly a contender in my eyes for the PAC 10 Championship.

-- ASU is 9-4 as a chalk under HC Koetter.

WAZZOU COUGARS O:6 D:7 (10-3)

The Cougars enter the 2003 campaign with boatloads of question marks, and a new headman in charge. New HC Bill Doba has been an assistant forever, but now gets his shot at running the show. He was the head assistant in the Mike Price era so don’t expect too much to change. The offense has to replace a Heisman trophy candidate, and it looks as if senior Matt Kegel has gotten the nod. He’s spot started a few times over the years, and has some prime time PAC 10 experience. He’s got good mobility, but his leadership on the field is still in question. He’s got some solid back-ups breathing down his neck, so a solid start is imperative for him to hold on to the job. The Cougars have a very potent running attack back headed by SR RB Jermaine green. He suffered through injuries last season, but looks to be ready to go in ’03. The WR core loses 2 of its top receiver’s from a year ago, but WR Devard Darling looks to make a huge impact this season. Expect to see the TE utilized a hell of a lot more this season as well. The O-line gets a bunch of healthy bodies back from last season, and will be a formidable bunch if they can avoid the injury bug. The Cougars have been a very potent offense the last few seasons, and should be once again as long as a capable QB steps into the forefront. The defense was close to impossible to run on last season, but it’ll be very hard for this version to be as nasty. Gone is Outland Trophy winner DT Rien long which will definitely hurt the rush of the front 4. The line is still loaded with talent, but will be very hard pressed to match last year’s numbers. The LB core returns pretty much intact, and should be solid barring injuries. The secondary returns 7 of 8 from last year’s squad, but loses its stud cover corner. The defense has loads of talent returning, but loses some key starters from the past few years. Their leadership will be sorely missed, and I expect the defense to slip a bit this year. Both kickers’ return on special teams, but have to find themselves another return man. Posting back-to-back 10 win seasons has given the Cougars a very tough schedule. They have to go on the road to ND & Colorado, and then visit USC & WASH in PAC 10 play. The non-conference slate is very important for team confidence. Losing both of their roadies in September can crush this team, but winning both could instill the confidence they need for conference play. All in all, the Cougars have the talent on hand to win some games this season, but I don’t foresee them playing in any BCS bowls.

-- WAZZOU is 4-1 ATS vs. the Big 12 (@COL 9/13)

OREGON DUCKS O:8 D:6 (7-6)

Last season was very humbling to say the least for the Ducks. They went 7-6 overall, and only managed a 3-5 record vs. the PAC 10 only 1 year after going 11-1 & finishing #2 in the country. HC Mike Bellotti has done an excellent job in Eugene, but now the fans are spoiled. They want things to change right now, and I’m not so sure he’s got the weapons to do any better than last season. Let’s face it; the Ducks had one of the most prolific offenses in college football history with Joey Harrington at the helm. They were loaded at the skill positions, and their defense was tough as nails. You just can’t expect a team to do as well with those losses, and now the bulk of that offense has graduated or moved on. Oregon is in pretty much the same position it was a year ago. They have question marks at the QB position, and in the secondary. Both of which killed them last season. They also have to find a RB to take the place of Onterrio Smith. QB Jason Fife looked good in non-conference play last season, but got his lunch served once conference play began. He’ll be fighting QB Kellen Clemens for the starting nod this year as well, and I still foresee the QB as a problem either way. The O-line returns fully intact, but isn’t very deep. WR Samie Parker is back to lead the WR core, and he will be the focal point of the offense through the air. If a RB isn’t found, it’ll be a very long season in Eugene. The Defense is stout up front, & it boasts some of the best linemen in the conference. The LB core is headed by SR Kevin Mitchell, but comes in a little green overall. We all know how bad this secondary was last season, so hopefully a year’s worth of getting their asses handed to them will toughen them up. FS SR Keith Lewis heads the unit, and I don’t see any reason why this group won’t be better this season. The special teams lose a bunch of key player’s, but stud K Jared Siegel returns for his junior season. This looks to be a middle of the pack finish for the Ducks in 2003.

-- The Ducks are 4-0 as a road chalk the L/2 yrs, but 4-8 as a home favorite.

STANFORD CARDINAL O:3 D:8 (2-9)

What a difference a year makes. HC Buddy Stevens first season at the helm was by no means a success. Their overall finish was the worst since 1983, and it was the biggest reversal in school history going from 9-3 to 2-9. This year will be another rebuilding year, but the future definitely looks bright. The offense only returns 3 starters from a year ago. QB’s Chris Lewis & Kyle Matter will continue battling it out for the starting position. I think Lewis will be the man when it’s all said and done. They also have to find a capable back to tote the rock. The O-line only returns 1 starter from a year ago, LT Chambers, but has loads of talent & will become a strength by mid-season. The defense returns 8 starters’ from a year ago, and will be one of their strengths this year. The D-line returns both ends from a year ago, but have to fill the middle up with new recruits. The LB core is very deep, and one of the most talented in the conference. The front 7 should be able to put more pressure on opposing offenses thus making the secondaries job a bit easier. The DB core returns a boatload of guys from last season, and has much better depth. This should be an interesting season for the Cardinal. Their schedule is really tough, and I don’t like the fact that 3 of their first 4 games are on the road in tough venues. Tyrone Willingham left the program in good shape, and its now time for some of the younger guys to step up. Stanford will definitely get better as the year progresses, and will have value down the road.

-- Stanford is 6-3 ATS since 2000 vs. non-conference foes.

CAL GOLDEN BEARS O:6 D:2 (7-5)

What a unbelievable season for Berkeley in HC Jeff Tedford’s inaugural season. He took a 1-10 team from the pits of hell to a 7-5 squad that had a few gigantic wins. Now the rebuilding begins, and he gets to mold his key recruits into his own mold of football player. Cal only returns a total of 8 starters from last year’s squad, and is very inexperienced with the loss of 24 seniors. They will have to depend on their freshman recruits, and JUCO signees to fill in the vacated spots. Every talented skill positioned player from a year ago is gone on both sides of the ball. A new QB has to be groomed with the loss of Kyle Boller, but it looks as if RB Ace Echemandu will give them a solid ball handler this year after recovering from an injury. The O-line returns 8 of 10 of which 7 have starting experience, and it looks to be a strength of the offense. The WR core is led by Jonathan Makonnen but lacks speed, and looks to get a boost from some of their new recruits. The D-line loses a pair of fine pass rushers, and is clearly weaker. The LB core looks average at best, but ILB Wendell Hunter made huge strides to close out ’02. The secondary loses a ton, and HC Tedford said he’d be using freshman immediately to give them some valuable experience. A lot of things went right for the Cal Bears last season, but 2003 won’t be as kind. This is clearly a rebuilding year, but I expect this squad to get better as the season progresses. Jeff Tedford is a solid football mind, and he will mold Cal into a solid football power once again.

-- CAL is 4-3 ATS vs. the Big 10 since 1990 (@ Illinois 9/20)

ARIZONA WILDCATS O:7 D:6 (4-8)

I truly don’t know what to say about this team. Last year’s turmoil will definitely carry over into ’03, and I honestly see no reason why Mackovic is still in charge. Half of last season’s team wanted him fired for crying out loud. Anyway, the Wildcats return 13 starters from a year ago, but not one of them was deemed PAC 10 team worthy. They have to replace QB Jason Johnson, and it looks as if it’ll either be the little guy or the giant. I’d go with the giant freshman Ryan O’Hara if I were in charge. RB Mike Bell will be the main guy with Clarence Farmer most likely red shirting to fully recover from his knee injury. The WR core loses its all everything player, Bobby Wade, from a year ago. SR WR Andrae Thurman looks to be the go to guy. The O-line looks to return healthy, and will be a strength of the offense. The defense gets a major overhaul this season Gone is the Eagle Flex and in is the 3-4 with its new DC Mike Hankwitz. The D-line moves a few player’s to OLB’s, but still returns 2 starters from last year’s front wall. The LB core loses a stud from a season ago, but is still headed by solid ILB Joe Siofele. Overall, I expect the front 7 to do a better job of pressuring opposing offenses. The secondary looks very good headed by CB Michael Jolivette whose returning from a season ending injury. The Wildcats have some talent on this team, but it won’t be enough to get them a winning season. The Wildcat faithful won’t make it any easier if they get off to a bad start. HC Mackovic already has one foot out the door, and I expect the other too follow shortly.

-- Arizona is 2-7 ATS as a road pup under HC Mackovic.

Tokens
rex checks in

1. ASU
2. Wash
3. UCLA
4. USC
5. Ore St
6. WSU
7. CAL
8. oregon
9. Stan
10 Ariz

ASU goes 10-2

GOOD LUCK
Rex

Banned
Tokens
REX has no CLUE!

some reasons behind your thoughts KID?

don't clutter up the mans thread with your dart tosses..

Tokens
Rex what are you smoking? USC #4 in the pac 10? USC will be competing for a BCS spot this year provided USC does not have ton of injuries to the OL.

USC will def. finish top 3, and i will be suprised if USC does not finish #1 in pac 10.

USC has #1 defense in the pac 10 and what did that statue of a QB ASU has do against USC great DL???? lol. Look for USC to run the table in the pac 10, despite playing on the road against ASU and UW.

FIGHT ON!!!!!!!!

Banned
Tokens
scott4usc, REX smokes alot of POLE!

icon_biggrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com