Texas Tech Red Raiders and Bobby Knight News and Notes

Search

Another Day, Another Dollar
Tokens
Texas Tech Scores Win No. 810 for Knight, 89-58

Knight’s Red Raiders roll in opener

Texas Tech cruises past Davidson in Preseason NIT

Andre Emmett and Jarrius Jackson each scored 17 points as Texas Tech defeated Davidson 89-58 in a first round preseason NIT game Tuesday night.

TECH (1-0) TRAILED ONLY briefly in the first half before going ahead for good. By the 2:52 mark in the second half, the Red Raiders had built a 35-point lead and were up 89-54.

Emmett, the leading scorer in the Big 12 last season (21.8 points) was 8-for-15 and got all his points before being taken out with about eight minutes remaining in the game.

Four Tech players scored in double figures. Ronald Ross scored 15 points and Joseph Works added 13 for Tech.

The win was No. 810 for Bob Knight, who is in his third season at Tech.

Matt McKillop led the Wildcats (0-1) with 18 points and Brendan Winters and Ian Johnson added eight each.

Tech led 43-25 at halftime. The Red Raiders used a 18-4 run that included back-to-back 3-pointers by Ronald Ross and Jarrius Jackson to give Tech a 19-10 lead with 11:52 in the half.

The Red Raiders helped their cause by forcing 14 turnovers, which included 10 steals.

The Wildcats finished with 26 turnovers; Tech finished with 18 steals.

Tech will play Massachusetts on Friday night. The Minutemen beat St. Francis 80-58 on Tuesday night.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/995424.asp?cp1=1

Tokens
Even better is the dumb comments made by a writer after the game and Bobby Knight getting irate. For those that didn't see it, he said that that guy's job was tantamount to "2 steps above prostitution"
applaudit.gif
LMAO

Tokens
Uncle Moneybags,

LOL. Good idea to keep a log of knights Statements. He and BeanTownJim could make a great discussion.

icon_cool.gif

Tokens
Philip Harbaugh, Damir Suljagic, and Martin Zeno To Join Red Raiders in 2004

Lubbock, Texas - The Red Raider basketball team will welcome three new freshmen beginning with the 2004 academic year.

Philip Harbaugh, a 6'8" 200-pound forward from Corvallis High School in Corvallis, Oregon, Damir Suljagic, a 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward from Salpointe Catholic High School in Tucson, Arizona, and Martin Zeno, a 6'5" senior at Sulphur High School in Sulphur, Louisiana have each signed their National Letter of Intent to attend Texas Tech University.

Martin Zeno, the District 3-5A MVP as a sophomore, believes competition is a driving force in his athletic career. In addition to solid performances of 27 points, 12 rebounds, and nearly 5 assists per game on the basketball court, he also qualified for the state track meet as a junior with personal bests of 48'4" in the triple jump and 23'4" in the long jump.

"I met Coach Knight and saw the Tech campus on my visit to Lubbock. That's all it took for me! Coach Knight is a cool guy," said Zeno.

Coach Clint LeBato of the Golden Tornadoes said, "Coach Knight has done a tremendous job at Texas Tech and we're very excited for Martin to have the chance to be part of something special as a Red Raider."

Philip Harbaugh echoed his new teammate's thoughts when he said, "I was greatly impressed with Coach Knight and the coaching staff. It's an honor to play for Coach Knight. He's got to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. And, he's got to be one of the greatest basketball minds of all time. I can't wait to become a Red Raider!"

As a junior for the Spartans and coached by Deon Johnson, the 6'8" Corvallis forward averaged 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists per game.

Damir Suljagic, the 6'8", 235-pound forward Salpointe Catholic High senior, averaged 18.5 points and 10 rebounds for the maroon and gold Lancers as a junior and has been noted as a top ten or so post player in the west in his class.

"Damir was at Tech and it was all I could do to get him out of Coach Knight's office that day," said Wayne Smith, Suljagic's mentor in Tucson.

The common themes about Texas Tech, basketball, and Coach Knight rang from each new Red Raider..."They have a great basketball program and a great school. The opportunity to play for Coach Knight and the opportunity that he can give afterward is endless."

http://texastech.ocsn.com

Tokens
General, guess it is safe to assume you are a Knight fan (LOL) ML-450.....Thought I saw you were from Indiana? Southwestern Indiana myself!!!! Best of luck to your Texas team!!!

Tokens
yes Sir Makers. Been a Knight Fan since a young Kid. He was such a star here as a kid and then it all went bad with the changing of times and the appreciation of good discipline. I come from that school of good discipline. I have alot of respect for Coach Knight. I know he is a argumentative figure, especially in the media. From his comments about The media being a couple steps above prostitution, i think he is saying they have sold their soles for a way of life. LOL

Anyhow, Yes, I am a fan & sad that his stay in Bloomington is over. When I signed up here, I needed a username, thus The General
icon_smile.gif

take care

Tokens
Thursday, November 20, 2003 -- ( AMHERST ) Steve Lappas wasn't even three sentences into the press conference announcing his hiring at the University of Massachusetts when he mentioned Bobby Knight.
Bobby Knight had the famous quote that 'It's great to be coach at a place that's the university of something,' Lappas said that day.

Lappas knew the quote because he knows Knight. Lappas regularly studies other coaches' styles and systems and incorporates pieces of them into his own. He's taken more from Knight than anyone else.

''We've taken lots,'' said Lappas, whose Minutemen face Knight and Texas Tech at 7 p.m. Friday in the Preseason National Invitation Tournament. ''Probably more than from anyone else. I've watched all of Coach Knight's tapes. I've read books. I've watched his teams play. Coach Knight's motion (offense) is about screening and coming off screens. Our motion most resembles - at least I like it to most resemble - the way they play their motion.

''It's great for our guys to watch their tape because a lot of it is the way we want our guys to play, the way they screen and the way they run the motion.''

The controversial and highly successful coach is beginning his third season in Lubbock after winning three national titles at Indiana (1976, 1981, 1987). He's the fourth winningest coach in NCAA history with 810 wins trailing only Dean Smith (879), Adolph Rupp (876) and Jim Phelan (830). In 37 years of coaching he's had as many under-.500 seasons as he has had undefeated ones (one each).

Knight, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1991, has been successful at Tech, with a record of 45-22 in his first two seasons. He led the Red Raiders to the 2002 NCAA Tournament and the 2003 NIT.

Lappas, who recalled watching Knight's 1976 team win the national championship while he was in college, has never faced Knight, but is 4-1 against 800-game-winners. He's 2-1 against Smith and 2-0 against Phelan. Lappas said coaching against Knight presents a good challenge for his team.

''It's fun to see how your team responds to things they do because you know they're going to do really good things,'' Lappas said.

UMass senior guard Anthony Anderson was looking forward to playing against the legendary coach.

''You know the guy is great, when players are enthusiastic about playing against a coach who's not even going to be on the floor,'' he said. ''I know a lot about Bobby Knight, but more the crazy side. Everyone knows he's a great coach. I watched his press conference (Tuesday) night. He's a funny guy.''

The crazy side Anderson referred to is almost as noteworthy as the wins. While Knight ran a clean and successful program at Indiana, his temper led to his dismissal.

Throwing chairs, punting balls and berating officials dot his resume as his volatile unpredictability have been part of his legend. After Tuesday's win over Davidson, he cut his postgame press conference short after making fun of a reporter for a seemingly benign question.

Former UMass coach and current Minuteman radio analyst Jack Leaman coached against the General when Knight was the head coach at Army.

''Bobby Knight is a false front. Half of what he is, is for show,'' Leaman said. ''He's a good guy. He's an excellent coach. He's a hard-working coach. His teams play hard and play physical. I think it's going to be a heckuva game. I think it'll be fun. I think it'll be a great experience for our kids.''

http://www.gazettenet.com/story.cfm?id_no=11200027

Tokens
Coach Knight says...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'd rather listen to Saddam lecture on human rights than college coaches lecture on ethics.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tokens
Coach: Bob Knight (3rd year at Texas Tech) 809-311 overall.

Last year's record: 22-13, tied for seventh in Big 12 (6-10) with Texas A&M.; lost to St. John's in semifinal of NIT tournament.

Returning starters: g Andre Emmett, f Robert Tomaszek, g Mickey Marshall. f Ronald Ross.

Key Subtractions: F Kasib Powell, g Will Chavis, f Pawel Storozynski.

Key Additions F Joseph Works, g Drew Coffman, f Darryl Dora, g Curtis Marshall.

Expect: Emmett's great athleticism and body control under the basket to once again make him one of the league's dominant players while newcomers work to learn Knight's motion offense.

Quotable: "I've never been good at accepting where we are. I always get tangled up in where we could have been. I wish I didn't." - Bob Knight

www.bradenton.com

Tokens
LUBBOCK, Texas -- University of Massachusetts coach Steve Lappas was expecting his team to receive a wakeup call sometime this season. But last night, the Minutemen endured a figurative cold shower and slaps in the face, along with some slaps on the wrist, in a 90-50 loss to Texas Tech in the preseason National Invitation Tournament.

Texas Tech (2-0) dominated play with stifling defense, powerful rebounding, and the inside offense of Andre Emmett, Devonne Giles, and Robert Tomaszek.

UMass (1-1) had few answers for the Red Raiders and fell out of contention late in the first half.

"What you don't see on tape that you could see when you could live-scout is their athleticism," Lappas said. "They are strong and they play very physical, and this was not a closely officiated game, which didn't help us. I am not saying it was poorly officiated, just not closely officiated.

"But that is the only way to learn. You don't realize how physical they are on tape. I told the guys there was no doubt that at some point our young guys were going to experience some harsh reality. It's better early than late. We will learn from it, and in March, maybe we look back at how long ago it happened. We will grow from this. It's a lesson, that's all you can say about it."

UMass displayed enough quickness to stay in contention, and was within 34-24 after Art Bowers's foul shot with 2:59 left in the half. But Texas Tech scored the final 8 points of the half, part of a 19-2 run extending into the second half.

UMass converted only one field goal over an 8-minute-59-second span, Emmett giving Texas Tech a 53-26 lead. UMass switched to a zone defense, overplayed in the halfcourt, then went to a full-court press. But the situation only became more dire.

Anthony Anderson converted a 3-pointer 29 seconds into the game, then was stifled for the rest of the contest by Ronald Ross and LucQuente White. Texas Tech overplayed defensively, relying on Giles and Tomaszek to negate UMass's inside threat. UMass failed to establish a perimeter game.

Texas Tech coach Bob Knight was gracious, though he said he "is never pleased," despite the decisive score.

"UMass is a young team, but by the middle of the season they will be a pretty good team," Knight said. "I was impressed by [Rashaun Freeman] inside. He handles his body well. Once they get going and get playing, they will be very good."

Knight disagreed with Lappas's assessment of Texas Tech as physical. "Physical to me is grabbing guys and throwing them down," said Knight. "That's not basketball. This was a tightly officiated game. If quickness is physical, hopefully we are moving in that direction.

"We did again what we're trying to do relative to defensive play. When the score gets to be a big margin between two teams, it's pretty easy to get sloppy.

"Offensively we turn the ball over more than I'd like to see us turn it over. We tried to make difficult passes and you don't need to make difficult passes, you need to make passes that are complete."

This was the worst UMass loss since an 88-46 defeat against Temple last Feb. 26 and its lowest point total since a 52-49 loss to St. Joseph's last March 8.

"We knew they were going to come out and pressure us," Anderson said. "They played great defense and killed us on rebounds. The only thing we can do is go out and practice Monday and get ready for our next game."

http://www.boston.com

The Great Govenor of California
Tokens
TTech is a 1 man show, this team wont cover very often this year, 0-1 starting yesterday. Davidson and poorly coached Umass were trash.

Tokens
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - Andre Emmett scored 25 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead Texas Tech past ETSU 64-53 Sunday night.

The Red Raiders (3-0) led throughout the game, but staved off a late first-half surge by the Buccaneers (1-1). Tech plays its NIT semifinal game against Utah on Wednesday night.

Down by five at the break, ETSU didn't get its first field goal of the second half until Brad Nuckles put back a rebound with 14:42 remaining to pull within 39-30.

Tech's largest lead was 49-32 and came with 11:13 remaining in the game when Emmett, who finished 10-of-16 from the field, hit an 8-foot jumper from inside the lane. In the final three minutes of the game, the Buccaneers twice cut the margin to nine but could get no closer.

Joseph Works and Ronald Ross scored 10 points each for Tech.

Tim Smith scored 14 points and James Anthony added 13 for ETSU.

Tech led 31-26 at halftime. The Red Raiders jumped out to 13-point lead twice in the first half, and at the 7:49 mark, Emmett had 10 points, one less than the entire Buccaneers team.

The Red Raiders got up 20-7 but the Buccaneers closed the half using a 10-3 run to cut the margin to five on a follow shot by Nuckles.

Tokens
I like Bob Knight. I always have even though I don't know him well.

After spending much of the week in Lubbock and watching him prepare his team for the Preseason NIT -- the Red Raiders demolished Davidson and UMass with back-to-back awesome defensive performances -- I like him more.

In an ironic way, Knight is going back to New York and Madison Square Garden to face Utah on Wednesday night with a young Texas Tech team that is the most athletic group he's had during his three seasons in charge at Tech. Ironic because this past weekend brought back together many of the players from his first teams at Army, where he became the head coach in 1965 at the age of 24.

Guys like Dick Murray (Knight's first captain), Mike Gyovai, Bobby Seigle, Bill Helkie and Jocko Mikula came from all over the country to golf, watch basketball and re-live memories of almost 40 years ago. The strength of these relationships were obvious.

West Point and Madison Square Garden really define the early part of Knight's coaching career. The Cadets' four NIT appearances in six years under Knight came at a time when this tournament's postseason edition, in some ways, was more prestigious than the NCAA Tournament. Knight's Cadets may not have been the most athletic group in the country, but they led the nation in team defense three consecutive years. With 19 steals on Friday night against UMass, the Red Raiders showed defense still comes first wherever Knight coaches.

New York is where Knight also came under the influence of legendary coaches like St. John's Joe Lapchick and LIU's Clair Bee and John Goldner, who was synonymous with New York basketball at that time. Knight also was given the nickname "Bobby T" in the city by the local sportswriters. So, it's not hard to see why his cynicism about the media probably goes back 40 years, as well.

But back to Thursday's practice, where it was fascinating to watch the former Army players, who are in their late 50s and early 60s, watch their former coach teaching players, some of whom were born after he won his second national championship at Indiana. The teaching and instruction was crisp and concise. The attention to detail had not changed.

I asked Murray, who spent 27 years in the Army and had recently retired from Lockheed Martin, what influence Knight had on him. He said, simply, "I learned more about leadership from Coach Knight than any other faculty member at West Point."

In the course of our conversation, in fact, Murray slipped and called his old coach "Bob," and after correcting himself said, "I'm almost 60 and still call him 'Coach Knight.' "

This Tech team may sneak up on folks in the Big 12. It is led by All-American candidate Andre Emmett, a 6-foot-5 senior who is the leading returning scorer in the Big 12. He may be as good an offensive player 10 feet and in as there is in the country. He will be complemented by an improved Ronald Ross, a 6-2 junior, and 6-1 freshman Jay Jackson from Monroe, La., in the backcourt. Jackson played with great poise and instincts in Tech's two wins.

Up front, Robert Tomaszek and Mikey Marshall return after inconsistent junior years, along with junior college transfers Devonne Giles and Mookie Works. But look for a freshman, Darryl Dora, to be a "sleeper" in Knight's rotation. How much production Knight gets from his frontcourt will be a key concern for Texas Tech, which is looking to get back to the NCAA Tournament after missing the dance last season.

It's taken less than three years for Knight to seem at home in Lubbock, in part because he has become as popular here as barbeque and Dr. Pepper. Each day at practice, seated in the first couple of rows of the United Spirit Arena (again, ironically located on Indiana Avenue), were elderly Red Raider fans who clearly enjoyed Knight's instruction, not to mentnion his many quips.

Having his sons Tim and Pat with him, as well as former players Stew Robinson, Michael Lewis, and Steve Downing around, has also eased his move to West Texas. People I talked with, close to the program, think Pat has been great for his father because he has become his "sounding board," and is not afraid to tell him what he thinks.

But, as always, Knight hasn't been afraid to tell anyone who asks what he thinks. He sees most things as black and white. Here isn't any gray.

When he was asked recently why he skipped the NABC ethics summit, he was quoted as saying, "I would rather listen to Saddam Hussein speak on civil rights than to some people speak about ethics." He was referring, of course, to some fellow head coaches being outspoken regarding coaching ethics, the same men who have been thought to cheat through the years. Knight said what he did publicly, while a lot of coaches I have talked to have echoed the same sentiments but, of course, privately.

As I said, I don't know Knight well -- privately or professionally. It's obvious that many of his mistakes over a Hall of Fame career have become public, and public opinion being what it can be, he has as many detractors as he does fans. But being as blunt and honest as Knight, I can only go by what I see today, and have experienced as a fellow coach.

When I was an assistant to Danny Nee at Ohio University, we played a very good Indiana squad at Assembly Hall in the mid-80's. After the game, which Indiana won 91-76, Knight told Nee to call him the next day. As it turned out, Knight wanted to tell us about our team, with regard to what gave the Hoosiers difficulty in the game and in areas where we could improve ourselves.

That next morning, Knight spent 45 minutes on the phone with Nee, and some of his thoughts about our team helped us go on and have a great season. He didn't have to do that, and until now, I'm not sure anyone beside the Ohio coaching staff knew about it.

My sense is, for all of his public "incidents," there are far more stories like this that go untold.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=1669325

Tokens
Lubbock, TX - Texas Tech senior Andre Emmett has guided the Red Raiders to the Preseason NIT semifinals. The forward/guard has averaged 20 points in three games and is the Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week for men's basketball.

The Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year by the conference coaches, Emmett opened the season with 17 points , five rebounds, and three steals in the 89-58 win against Davidson. The Dallas senior led all scorers with 18 points in the 90-50 win against Massachusetts which advanced Texas Tech to the semifinals of the Preseason NIT. Emmett also had four steals against UMass. In the 64-53 win over East Tennessee State on Sunday, Emmett posted his first double-double of the 2003-2004 season with 25 points and 13 rebounds. Emmett is a two-time first-team All-Big 12 performer who led the conference in scoring with a 21.8 average last year. This marks the second time he has earned Phillips 66 Player of the Week honors with his other during the 2001-2002 season.

The Raiders face Utah at 6:00 p.m.(CT) on ESPN2 from Madison Square Garden in the first semifinal game on Wednesday evening. The second game of the evening features Georgia Tech against Connecticut. The winners of each semifinal game will meet in the finals on Friday evening at 6:00 p.m.(CT) with the other two teams facing off in the consolation game at 3:30 p.m.(CT). Both games will be carried by ESPN2.

Tokens
General

Lived in Bloomington all of my life and have been a Knight fan since Benson, Buckner, May, etc.....like everyother young boy in Bloomington I wanted to play for Coach Knight and was heart broken when I stopped growing in 8th grade. Anyway, tell me how far the Current IU regime has fallen when your first game isn't televised at all and your second one is tape delayed. WOW!!! I bet we are around the same age and I bet you along with me can't remember a time while Knight was here that this happened. I am afraid it is going to be a long winter here in Bloomington, I guess the only thing to look forward to is taking my daughter to the IU women's games!!! (They have a 6'7" freshman....yes a 6'7" girl!!) Maybe she could play the middle better than George Leach. Keep up the good work with the Tech updates....they look pretty good so far!!!

Tokens
Thanks Eric. I would like to see tech finish big 12 top 4. I think the projection is 6th, but we do not care about projections. As for IU >>>>>>>>>
fuck2.gif

Dumbest thing IU ever did was fire Coach Knight, but they now have to deal with the fallout. Mr Brand is gone and the University Basketball program has to suffer.

BTW, I didnt even know IU had played a game
applaudit.gif

icon_cool.gif

Best of luck Eric

Tokens
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Knight - When my time on Earth is gone and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1036316054.gif

Tokens
bball program has to suffer? Did we go to the final game 2 years ago? I cant remember? was i partying on kirkwood? Cant remember? It is going to be a rough year this year for IU, but IU has the #1 class coming next year, and will also probably have the #1 class in 2006, hopefully 2005 will be solid as well.
Dont fret Eric, IU is playing one of the top 3 or 4 preseason schedules in the country. (@ Vandy, Xavier, at Wake Forest, Kentucky, @ Notre Dame, Missouri, Temple, Butler, oh and we get to go to North Texas.

By big 10 season, they will be ready, having faced one of the best schedules in the nation.

The Great Govenor of California
Tokens
The Miles Brands of the world are power freaks, they act like they are interested in justice, but in reality that want there name in the paper. I see these scumbag administraters at these college games walking around with there parted hair and phony smiles getting paid 150K and hugging alumni donors and there colleuges, Im just glad to spill an occasional soda on them like I did to Maxson when he was at LongBeach State.

I like Utah and the 5 at the Garden tommorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com