Smarty Jones Belmont Stakes News.

Search

Tokens
Judge denies Valenzuela's attempt to ride in Belmont

NEW YORK (AP) Patrick Valenzuela lost his bid to ride Rock Hard Ten in the Belmont Stakes, denied Tuesday by a judge who refused to postpone his suspension for failing to take a drug test.

The suspension by the California Horse Racing Board prevents him from riding in North America. It began Tuesday and runs until July 1.

Alex Solis will now ride Rock Hard Ten, the colt considered to have the best chance of thwarting Smarty Jones' Triple Crown bid.

Valenzuela was suspended this year for failing to report for a required drug test at Santa Anita.

''The best case would have been for him to ride in the Belmont and then start his suspension,'' said Don Calabria, Valenzuela's attorney. ''There are no sour grapes here.''

Calabria said the jockey ''believed if he was on Rock Hard Ten, he had a good chance to beat Smarty Jones.''

Corey Black, Valenzuela's agent, was at Belmont Park on Tuesday trying to line up rides for Valenzuela on Friday and Saturday in case Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Dzintra Janavf allowed the jockey to ride.

''We're definitely disappointed,'' Black said. ''When he comes back, everything will be behind him.''

Entries for the Belmont Stakes will be taken Wednesday.

Rock Hard Ten was the Preakness runner-up. Trainer Jason Orman said he let the owners decide on Solis, a California-based jockey.

''He's a good replacement,'' Orman said. ''He won a race on the weekend for Mr. (Ernie) Moody and he's the leading money winner in the country.''

Gary Stevens rode Rock Hard Ten in the Preakness on May 15. But Stevens is unavailable for the Belmont because he will be riding in England on Saturday.

Valenzuela has ridden in the Belmont Stakes only once. In 1989, he and Sunday Silence finished second to Easy Goer after Sunday Silence beat Easy Goer in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Valenzuela hopes to ride Rock Hard Ten in the Breeders' Cup in October.

Tokens
Team Smarty's unbelievable journey

NEW YORK (AP) It's a tale as remarkable as any soap opera: murder, a star who almost dies, bit players who become celebrities.

Only Smarty Jones can top all the drama with a Belmont Stakes victory Saturday for the first Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978.

And it'll be a madhouse at Belmont Park, where nearly all of an expected record crowd of 120,000 will be cheering for the Pennsylvania-bred colt to become the 12th horse to win racing's most coveted prize.

''It's time for the coronation of a new champion,'' Affirmed jockey Steve Cauthen says. ''It's what racing needs, what everyone is waiting for.''

Should Smarty Jones complete a sweep of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont, he would join Seattle Slew as the only unbeaten Triple Crown winners. He'd also earn a $5 million bonus and become North America's richest racehorse with over $13 million in earnings.

''It's been an unbelievable journey,'' says Pat Chapman, who owns the little red chestnut colt with her husband, Roy.

The yarn features a former trainer slain in Jersey; Philly-based owners who sold their farm and all but two of their horses; Smarty slamming his head on a starting gate and nearly killing himself; and a trainer and jockey from Philadelphia Park, a small-time track rarely associated with high-quality racing.

Just four days before the Belmont, trainer John Servis is still trying to take it all in.

''I can't wait for the Belmont to be over to kick back and look what's happened,'' he said. ''It really hasn't sunk in yet. When it does, it'll probably hit like a sledgehammer.''

A look at how Team Smarty arrived at the threshold of greatness: THE HORSE

Smarty Jones was born Feb. 28, 2001, with trainer Bob Camac responsible for breeding the mare he had picked out, I'll Get Along, and the stallion, Elusive Quality.

Nine months later, Camac and his wife were murdered. His stepson was convicted and was sentenced to 29 years in jail. Devastated, and with Roy Chapman suffering from emphysema, the Chapmans were on their way out of the horse business. But they kept Smarty, who was training for the races at Bridlewood Farm in Ocala, Fla.

Farm manager George Isaacs told them: ''This might be the horse you're waiting for.''

Smarty arrived at Servis' barn at Philly Park last July 16. Twelve days later, disaster nearly struck. While working in the starting gate. Smarty reared up and smacked his head on a metal bar. He fractured his skull and nearly lost his left eye, but made a complete recovery.

His racing debut was Nov. 9, a bit late for most promising 2-year-olds but the colt cruised to victory by 7¾ lengths. After a 15-length romp in the Pennsylvania Nursery Stakes, Servis knew something special was happening. A win in the Count Fleet at Aqueduct, and Servis took his colt to Arkansas, where he taught Smarty to relax and turn on the speed only when asked by jockey Stewart Elliott.

Smarty Jones learned his lessons well, and won the Southwest, Rebel and Arkansas Derby. Although he was 6-for-6 going into the Kentucky Derby, he wasn't even the morning-line favorite. However, he had already won over racing fans and was the 4-1 top choice when he won by 2¾ lengths.

Two weeks later, it was a record-setting 11½-length rout in the Preakness.

Smarty has yet to show signs of fatigue during the strenuous campaign, a problem that has tripped up several Triple Crown contenders, including Funny Cide, Silver Charm and Alysheba.

''I still haven't been able to get to the bottom of him,'' Servis said. THE OWNERS

Roy ''Chappy'' Chapman met Pat in the mid 1970s, when she walked into his auto dealership in northeast Philly and left with a 1976 Granada. Six years later, the couple married. He had three children from a prior marriage; she had two.

Chappy loved fox hunting, so Pat learned to ride horses to keep up. Their interest in horses grew and they purchased a farm in 1988, calling it Someday Farm because Pat says: ''We talked about all the things we were going to do there some day. Some day we were going to do this, some day we were going to do that.''

They had no idea they'd ever get a shot at the big time. In 1989, they won the Maryland Hunt Cup Steeplechase with a gelding named Uncle Merlin. They hired Camac in the early 1990s, and gave him horses to run, mostly at Philadelphia Park.

In 1993, Camac recommended the purchase of the filly I'll Get Along at the Keeneland September yearling auction. The Chapmans bought her for $40,000. She won 12 races and earned $276,969 over five years.

By the time Smarty was born, Someday had been sold. Chappy's health had deteriorated and he was advised by doctors to take it easy. The Chapmans bought a home in New Hope, Pa., and they winter in Boca Grande, Fla.

Roy, who smoked three packs of Lucky Strikes for much of his life, now uses a wheelchair and needs an oxygen supply tank to help with his emphysema. After Smarty won the Derby, Chappy stood up and threw his arms into the air.

''I felt like I was having a heart attack,'' he said.

A week later, the Chapmans were at Philadelphia Park collecting a $5 million bonus from Oaklawn Park owner Charles Cella. Smarty earned it by winning the Rebel, the Arkansas Derby and the Kentucky Derby.

Perhaps no one is enjoying this party more than 78-year-old Roy. He says Smarty has energized him.

''Some day, somewhere, he's going to get beat,'' he said after the Preakness. ''We're trying to put that off as long as we can.'' THE TRAINER

Before Smarty came along, John Servis was best known for saddling Jostle to victories in the 2000 Coaching Club American Oaks and Alabama.

At 45, he's racing's latest genius, a son of a jockey who took a most unusual path to get his horse to this point. Servis opted for the ''easiest route'' to the Derby through Arkansas, where he worked on building his colt's confidence while teaching him to harness his blazing speed.

He also made the decision to stick with Elliott rather than pick up a more experienced rider. ''Stew's my man,'' he said.

Servis' father, Joe, was a rider, jockey union leader and racing steward. So when John quit Shepherd College after a year, it came as no surprise.

''I got my first horse as a graduation present from high school,'' he said. ''I didn't have my trainer's license at the time, but I was training. I figured college was slowing me down.''

He's carved out a successful career, and is in no rush to leave if a better offer comes along. He and his wife, Sherry, and their two teenage children, live in Bensalem, Pa., about a mile from the track.

Born in Charles Town, W.Va., he's a Philly guy though and through. At news conferences, he'd often comment on the Flyers' NHL playoff fortunes. During one of Smarty's public gallops, Servis wore a Flyers' jersey.

He's enjoyed the spotlight and accommodated nearly every media request. He's amazed at the cards and letters he and the horse are receiving. ''It makes us feel good about what's going on,'' he said. THE JOCKEY

Stewart Elliott is the ultimate journeyman. His father was a jockey and a trainer, his mother an assistant trainer at Woodbine, and Elliott quit school after eighth grade to climb on a horse.

Born in Canada, he's won more than 3,200 races at dozens of tracks and now sits on the horse that has become the darling of racing and a cover boy at Sports Illustrated and ESPN The Magazine.

''Unbelievable,'' Elliott says.

At 39, he also found fame has its drawbacks. After the Derby, his past was exposed: He battled alcohol in the 1990s; pleaded guilty to separate assault charges in 2001 one for beating a friend with a pool cue and wooden stool, another for beating up a girlfriend; and was fined a total of $1,525 by Kentucky, Maryland and New York racing officials for failing to disclose the guilty pleas on jockey license applications.

Team Smarty, though, stood behind him. Elliott and Servis have been friends for 20 years. They hunt and fish together, and Servis knew all about the past and told the Chapmans about it.

At first, Elliott was embarrassed. Now, there's relief it's out in the open.

''There's nothing to hide anymore,'' he said. ''Kind of like, I got it all out and over with.''

A leading rider at Philadelphia Park in recent years, Elliott has taken a step up: He's back at Monmouth Park this summer, and then he and his fiancee, Lauren Vannozzi, will take it from there.

''I have about five or six more years of riding left,'' Elliott said. ''Might as well try to make the best of it.''

Associated Press.

Tokens
Eddington has aggressive workout
By DAVID GRENING
ELMONT, N.Y. - Eddington, the third-place finisher in the Preakness, completed preparations for Saturday's 136th Belmont Stakes by working a sharp five furlongs in 59.10 seconds Sunday morning at Belmont Park.
Jerry Bailey, the regular rider of Eddington, was in the irons for the move, which was done in company with the maiden winning 3-year-old Withprobability. The plan was for the stablemate to act as a target for Eddington, but Withprobability never got far enough in front of Eddington to accomplish that. Eddington was aggressive throughout the move, according to Bailey, and finished about a half-length in front at the wire.

"I tried to slow him down but you look at him and you look at me," Bailey said. "I wanted a target as far as I could have one and the other horse just stayed enough to keep him aggressive. He was aggressive and he's focused right now. Can he keep it through a mile and a half, that's the question."

Trainer Mark Hennig said he was looking for a work in the 1:00-to-1:01 range, but is hoping the aggressiveness Eddington showed is a good sign.

"I'd love to see him get aggressive," Hennig said. "Both Jerry and I have always felt confident he has the ability it's just a matter of him being aggressive enough and developing that instinct to want to go after somebody or get the job done."

Also working Sunday at Belmont Park was Master David, the Wood Memorial runner-up who finished ninth in the Kentucky Derby. Master David worked six furlongs in 1:13 with jockey Jose Santos in the irons. Master David worked in company with the 4-year-old Ten Cents a Shine, who has not run since finishing ninth in last year's Preakness.

Trainer Bobby Frankel continues to give mixed signals about whether Master David will run in the Belmont Stakes. First, Frankel said he wouldn't have worked Master David eight days after he finished third in the Peter Pan Stakes if he wasn't going to run. "But, that doesn't mean I'm going to run either," Frankel said. "Just in case something happens."

Frankel said Saturday Master David was more likely to run in the $200,000 Northern Dancer Stakes at Churchill Downs on June 12.

If Master David does run, Santos will ride. Last year, the Frankel-trained Empire Maker won the Belmont, stopping Funny Cide and Santos's bid for the Triple Crown.

Also on Sunday, trainer Angel Medina confirmed that Caiman would run in the Belmont and that Ramon Dominguez, the second-leading rider in the country in terms of wins, would ride. Caiman, who is coming off two allowance wins at Hawthorne Park, was schedule to arrive in New York by van early Monday morning.

Tokens
Smarty Jones times from Blood Horse.

The numbers, including fractional times, all show Smarty Jones is the best three year old in the country.
In the Preakness, Smarty Jones went the first six furlongs in 1:11.73 and the final 7/16 mile in :43.86, the latter figure translating to :12.53 per furlong.

Rock Hard Ten went the initial six furlongs of the Preakness in 1:12.43, the final 7/16 mile in :45.46; Eddington went the first six in 1:12.68, the final 7/16 in :45.61. The latter figures indicate that Rock Hard Ten averaged :12.98 per furlong in the closing 7/16 mile, while Eddington averaged :13.03. These slow finish times were quite obvious as they fell further and further back of Smarty Jones during the stretch run.

How do these numbers stack up to the other top probable and possible Belmont Stakes starters?

Purge and Master David actually went the first six furlongs of their last race, the Grade II Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont, faster than Smarty covered the first six of the Preakness--Purge in 1:10.15 and Master David in 1:11.05. But the Peter Pan is a one-turn, 1 1/8 mile race, and we all know the Preakness is two turns, and a sixteenth-mile longer than the Peter Pan.

Despite the shorter distance of the Peter Pan, neither Purge nor Master David ran the final stages of that race faster than Smarty Jones finished the Preakness. Despite the impressive final time of the Peter Pan--1:47.98--Smarty averaged :12.53 per furlong in the final 7/16 mile of the Preakness, while Purge went his final 3/8 mile in the Peter Pan in :37.83, or :12.61 per furlong, and Master David got that distance in :38.53, or :12.84 per furlong.

That leaves us to figure Royal Assault and Tap Dancer--we'll just pretend that Caiman isn't going to be in the Belmont for now, while Birdstone's last two races just don't leave much to analyze in terms of speed.

Tap Dancer went the opening six furlongs in the Sir Barton Stakes on the Preakness undercard in 1:13.75, flattened out, and ran the final 5/16 mile in :32.45, or :12.98 per furlong.

Royal Assault, on the other hand, went the first six furlongs of the Sir Barton in a pedestrian 1:14 :)12.33 per furlong) but maintained his speed at the end, getting the final 5/16 mile in :31.60, or :12.64 per furlong.

All this means that Purge and Royal Assault came closest to matching Smarty Jones' Preakness final running time in their most recent races. Purge and Royal Assault had virtually identical final "per furlong" times :)12.61 and :12.64). Purge had the advantage of going one less turn than Royal Assault, and Royal Assault had the advantage of going a sixteenth mile shorter than Purge.

The big difference in the two horses' times came in the first six furlongs. Purge got a nice trip just off the hip of the front pace going a straight line down the long backstretch of Belmont Park, while Royal Assault was taken around an extra turn that Purge didn't face.

In order for Royal Assault to be effective in the Belmont Stakes, it is imperative that he get his race going a little earlier in the going than he did in the Sir Barton. In order for Purge to be effective--assuming, as we are, that he will be a starter in the race--he has to be able to handle two turns.

Meanwhile, Smarty Jones must maintain his consistency in order to go nine-for-nine and win the Triple Crown.

wil.

Tokens
Sick of hearing about this Shvt!...I hope he Breaks His Leg ... Tired of paying out on His Behalf !

Banned
Tokens
Kimchee,
You want him to break his leg,lol, I'll bet him! Hell I had 200$ to win on Ruffian when he broke his leg and 1000$ to win on Go For Wand when he broke his leg in midstretch,lol! OK I'll bet him so don't expect Smarty to finish and expect LARGE SHOW PRICES!!

Tokens
BENSALEM, Pa. (AP) Gene Camac dropped to his knees in the middle of a restaurant as he watched the Kentucky Derby, pleading for a little divine intervention.

''Push him, Bobby! Push him,'' Camac yelled at the screen and into a cell phone, with his wife on the other end.

When Smarty Jones crossed the finish line first, Gene Camac knew his brother, Bob, was somewhere smiling.

When his brother was praised after the race, Gene cried from elation, his pain fading for the first time since Bob was murdered, along with his wife, by his stepson in 2001.

''It brings back a lot of sad things, but a lot of good things,'' Gene said. ''We know Bob's involved someway, somewhere.''

Gene and those close to his brother had been unable to shake the tragedy that nearly forced owners Pat and Roy Chapman out of the business and give up on Smarty Jones.

Now, there is a sense of a pride that Bob was responsible for the horse who can become the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978 with a win in Saturday's Belmont Stakes.

''To think that my brother was part of this is overwhelming,'' said Gene, who lives in Bear, Del. ''He knew the breeding book like a bible. I think he knew everyone's mom and dad in the country without even looking it up.''

Bob suggested the Chapmans breed I'll Get Along with the stallion Elusive Quality. On Feb. 28, 2001, Smarty Jones was born.

The Chapmans trusted Bob, whom they hired in the early 1990s and gave horses to run, mostly at Philadelphia Park. He worked with horses his entire life, starting as child when he walked them for two uncles in Atlantic City and Monmouth Park in New Jersey.

The Camacs' uncles were quiet, easy to get along with and loved their horses. Those were all traits that Bob emulated in his four-decade career as a trainer, mostly in Delaware and Philadelphia Park.

He tried working at an oil refinery once, a stint that might have lasted only slightly longer than the combined times of the Triple Crown races.

When he wasn't at the track, Bob was on the golf course with his wife of 30 years, Maryann. He usually sported a crewcut and sunglasses in the barn, making him recognizable to the scores of newcomers who turned to him for advice.

He earned the respect and admiration of his owners, and others in the barn considered him a mentor.

That's what made his death even more puzzling.

Gene said his brother was concerned when he stopped receiving checks from some of his longtime clients. Finally, Bob confronted his stepson, Wade Russell, about the missing funds. He suspected Russell of taking the checks out of the mailbox and cashing them.

On Dec. 6, 2001, Russell showed up at the Camacs' home in Oldmans Township, N.J., with a shotgun and killed Bob and Maryann.

''How could you walk up and shoot you mother with a shotgun and your stepfather who raised you his whole life?'' Gene said. ''Wade Russell was stealing thousands and thousands of dollars. If he hadn't killed those two, no one would know. I can't understand his rationale.''

Russell pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter earlier this year and is serving a 28-year sentence.

Smarty Jones was only 9 months old at the time.

The Chapmans were so distraught, they all but got out of the horse business. They disbanded their breeding operation, sold off the broodmares, including I'll Get Along, and got rid of all but two of their horses: a slow 2-year-old and Smarty Jones.

''It was a total shock, numbing,'' Pat Chapman said before the Kentucky Derby. ''We didn't know what to do next or who to go to.''

When Bob died, several of his clients asked another Philly Park trainer, John Servis, if they could move their horses to his barn. The Chapmans then asked one of their former trainers, Mark Reid, for a recommendation on Smarty Jones a colt that seemed to have a world of potential, but no one to harness it.

Reid recommended Servis, his former assistant. Servis always respected Bob, even golfed with him a few times, but there was little socialization outside the track.

Now he's helping the Camac family achieve what Bob had always wanted.

''You have to wonder, they're thinking, 'That could be my brother out there,''' Servis said. ''Being a trainer, I'm sure that was Bob's dream to win the Kentucky Derby. I'm fortunate to be where I am because of a tragic situation.

''I've always lived on the premise that things happen for a reason, but certainly nothing like that. There's no reason for that.''

Servis has remained close with some of Camac's relatives. Servis and his wife, Sherry, extended an invitation to the Camacs for the Belmont. Gene and his wife, Kathy, also attended the Preakness and were in tears in the winner's circle after the race.

''The Derby was really emotional. The Preakness just seemed to give me some more closure about the way things happened,'' Gene said. ''I'm just glad he's getting recognition.''

Gene will watch the Belmont with the Chapmans and Servis' family. He believes his brother is with him, too, watching and loving every minute of Smarty's incredible ride.

''I just know it,'' he says quietly, but convincingly. ''I just know it.''

Tokens
I think SJ will win the race, however I view this race as a for recreational purposes only event. There will be close to 1000 (if not more) betable races on Sat from different tracks, why buck what looks like a much the best horse playing beat the favorite. Just sit back and enjoy racing history being made. If pressed I can see a SJ to Eddington exacta for those who must bet the race. Props - why not take the big price for SJ to win by over 12 lengths, but only of recreational money. If Smarty Jones breaks without difficulty he wins easy imho.

wil.

Tokens
Belmont Stakes 136 Field
Purse: $1,000,000, 1 1/2 miles

Post Horse Jockey Trainer M/L Odds

1. Master David J. Santos R. Frankel 20-1
2. Purge Velazquez T. Pletcher 5-1
3. Caiman R. Dominguez A. Medina 50-1
4. Birdstone E. Prado N. Zito 15-1
5. Rock Hard Ten Solis J. Orman 8-1
6. Royal Assault P. Day N. Zito 20-1
7. Tap Dancer J. Castellano N. Allard 50-1
8. Eddington J. Bailey M. Hennig 10-1
9. Smarty Jones S. Elliott J. Servis 2-5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selectionpartners
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com