Forum: Classic Threads From The Past - Visit here for a great "blast from the past" and view some terrific, informative and interesting "Classic Threads" posted by thousands of savvy sportsbettors over the years here at The Rx.com.....

Thread: if you lay -110 you LOSE

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. #1 if you lay -110 you LOSE 
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    240
    With the quality of the linemakers and computers at the present wagering on any game is a virtual coin toss. Why in hell would anyone want to lay -110 on a 50/50 proposition. Are gamblers just plain idiots? Are they desperate for action? No one wins betting -110......just a matter of time. That is why books can pay hundreds of employees,have expensive software and issue bonuses. As long as there are suckers out there betting at -110 or -105 they will take home ALL the $$$$.. Same for the poker rooms....The rake is like stealing....All the players lose. Sorry but that is the call. I may admit I am a horse player and that is worse ..they take out 20-35%. of every dollar. The only ones who win cheat.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    RX Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    730
    I agree with your statement. The juice can kill you in the long run. It does not sound like much but that is a big reason why 97% of all gamblers lose!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,299
    I will have to disagree.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    RX Senior Noreaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    De-troit Basket-Ball
    Posts
    4,663
    2 words.. Pan Am

    only a very few books with high volume can offer the reduced juice

    look at World Sport Center, they are going to -110 after opening up under the reduced juice platform
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Another Day, Another Dollar The General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    42,730
    The vast majority of straight bettors will definatley lose over the long haul.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    newark
    Posts
    10,363
    most bettors are barreled in
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,299
    Obviously "most" player lose. But it's certainly not impossible to overcome hit over 52.4%. If you simply shop for 1 pt to the better, you're already there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Oh boy! quantumleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Quantum Imaging Chamber
    Posts
    38,228
    At -110 juice a bettor only has to win somewhere around 52%-53% of their bets to make a profit. The reason the books can afford so many employees and bonuses is because they know how to make the line so that many bettors will take the wrong side. The lines are not made to get 50% action on either side. They are made to get more people on the wrong side.

    I would be happy to make a bet at -110 or -125 even if I felt it was a good bet. The problem is, most bettors don't know the best bet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,299
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumleap
    At -110 juice a bettor only has to win somewhere around 52%-53% of their bets to make a profit. The reason the books can afford so many employees and bonuses is because they know how to make the line so that many bettors will take the wrong side. The lines are not made to get 50% action on either side. They are made to get more people on the wrong side.

    I would be happy to make a bet at -110 or -125 even if I felt it was a good bet. The problem is, most bettors don't know the best bet.
    So basically you're saying all of the good gamblers have become bookies or linesmakers. Nahhh, I don't buy that.

    Here's what I think: the books handicap the bettors more than the games, but they want you to think the opposite.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    RX Wizard mj 23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    PA.
    Posts
    5,103
    Take my chances betting games rather than horses

    2 horses vs. 10 ? horses
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Oh boy! quantumleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Quantum Imaging Chamber
    Posts
    38,228
    Quote Originally Posted by D2bets
    So basically you're saying all of the good gamblers have become bookies or linesmakers. Nahhh, I don't buy that.
    No. I didn't say that nor did I imply that. What did I post that made you think that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    RX Local wilheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Where Needed
    Posts
    75,155
    Books don't survive on straight bets and totals alone. The gimmicks - parlays, teasers, reverses, point buying, props, futures, IF bets, action points, half times, money lines, minor sports like boxing, golf, tennis and others (especially horse racing) all are part of the numbers that compute what percentage of volume a book holds. Narturally -110 on straight bets (sides and totals) makes it easier to hold the desired 6 or 7 percent than reduced juice does. A well run horse room should hold 15% by itself. Write 10 or 15 million a week, hold 6% and you can run a very nice operation.



    wil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,299
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumleap
    No. I didn't say that nor did I imply that. What did I post that made you think that?
    You said the books know how to make you take "the wrong side". Does that not imply that the books know what the right side is?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    Another Day, Another Dollar The General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    42,730
    Sometimes when I see Pinnacle go back and forth from minus 120 Over to minus 120 Under, same line I think they are just playing with our minds. Do any of you feel that is the case?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,299
    Quote Originally Posted by The General
    Sometimes when I see Pinnacle go back and forth from minus 120 Over to minus 120 Under, same line I think they are just playing with our minds. Do any of you feel that is the case?
    No, that's just a (positive) unintended side-effect.

    The books want you to think they know the right side. If you gamble with that premise in mind you have already lost.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #16  
    Another Day, Another Dollar The General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    42,730
    I wouldn't follow them blindly, but some people do whether Over or Under, Fav or Dog. When doing so the book can really mess with the brain by moving that vig around.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #17  
    Oh boy! quantumleap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Quantum Imaging Chamber
    Posts
    38,228
    Quote Originally Posted by D2bets
    You said the books know how to make you take "the wrong side". Does that not imply that the books know what the right side is?
    I see what you are saying. I think the books have the linesmakers that know better than the public. The linesmakers don't know each and every line the best but overall it averages that they know better than the public.

    If a person can find a particular team at a particular time they can know the line better than the books. I have bet Phoenix Suns 2nd-half totals and am YTD at 17-5-1. The problem is most bettors don't just bet that subset. They bet over several different sports. Seldom does a bettor have a better idea than professional linesmakers over multiple sports.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #18  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    14,299
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumleap
    I see what you are saying. I think the books have the linesmakers that know better than the public. The linesmakers don't know each and every line the best but overall it averages that they know better than the public.

    If a person can find a particular team at a particular time they can know the line better than the books. I have bet Phoenix Suns 2nd-half totals and am YTD at 17-5-1. The problem is most bettors don't just bet that subset. They bet over several different sports. Seldom does a bettor have a better idea than professional linesmakers over multiple sports.
    OK, fair enough. I'll agree that a good linesmaker can set a better line than the majority of the public, but I don't think they're directly playing the right side/wrong side game. They do, however, know public tendencies and both out of necessity and greed, set the line accordingly. It's a lot more sublte than knowing the right/wrong side. Because they don't for the most part.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #19  
    Rx. Senior winbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    EMERALD ISLE
    Posts
    7,744
    Gambling Platforms,

    1)Suicidal
    2)Senseless
    3)recreational, chase
    4)recreational
    5)Sharp loser
    6)sharp winner
    7)Pro gambler

    In my 38 years of gambling, I have gone through all of these. Due to the brain-box losing its edge, I would like to think I am still in the 6 category, realistically, its getting nearer 5. Whatever category you think youre in, your probably one down from it. The only comparable thing I have found is, the higher up the chart, the less bets that are had.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #20  
    Give BB 2.5k he makes it 20k within 3 months 99out100 Hitman26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    4,566
    JJ:



    I would take a guess that out of 100 sportsbettors, who do it for more than 3 months a year for over 5 years, that 98 are losers. Do you agree with this Mr. Gold? I'm not including pure scalpers, becasue they can't lose unless they get stiffed by a book.




    What do you think Coachy?
    Hitman
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #21  
    RX Member Jay C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    987
    There is no such thing as a "right" side that the book prefers you to take or not to take.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #22  
    in your heart, you know i'm right blue edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    14,785
    if you lay -110, you lose.

    of course you do...that's why they're building hotels in vegas faster than you can say jack robinson.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #23  
    RX SemiGod
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    newark
    Posts
    10,363
    Hitter you are correct

    If you gamble heavy on sports you will be broke period

    It is proven every day
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #24  
    Only time will tell....
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hickville
    Posts
    2,589
    Huh?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #25  
    Only time will tell....
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hickville
    Posts
    2,589
    Keys:

    $ management
    willing to learn
    Value
    stop gambling
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •