Forum: Classic Threads From The Past - Visit here for a great "blast from the past" and view some terrific, informative and interesting "Classic Threads" posted by thousands of savvy sportsbettors over the years here at The Rx.com.....

Thread: Line Shopping Is Vastly Overrated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JJ
    What you posted is what I strive to do...beat the closing line PERIOD.

To do that as you stated you must be sharp at anticipating line movement be it early overnight or next day (most likely right before gametime).

I don't see why one can have the best of both worlds
    1) learn when to jump in to get the best number... being able to predict line movement

2) Having multiple outs to line shop...if you can master number one then why not take some time( 15-30 min)to see if there is a 1/2 pt, better out there , if its there even better if not then no problem as you still should have the better number compared to closing line.

Good post JJ

Can't we ALL just get along?!! sportsbet's Avatar

2) Having multiple outs to line shop...if you can master number one then why not take some time( 15-30 min)to see if there is a 1/2 pt, better out there , if its there even better if not then no problem as you still should have the better number compared to closing line.

Case in point Golden State vs Chicago last night. Most shops close at 8.5 yet a few like BoDog deal a 9. Final Score 94-85. If you were on GSW and you line shopped for your best number you push instead of lose.

Not shopping for the best number is like saying you think the linesmakers don't have a clue about what they're doing. Obviously you can outcap the guys that make the line so why bother looking for the best number? (a little sarcasm for the room).

Sheesh!

sb

RX SemiGod
    Dougy makes sense

Max I try to teach some of these other guys

Sportsy if you had +9 then you beat the consensus closing line, if you got +8 you lose majority of time if the two teams kept playing everyday and the clsojg line was 8.5

Lets face it, beat clsoing line (consensus) you have chance to beat the book

Can't we ALL just get along?!! sportsbet's Avatar
    Sportsy if you had +9 then you beat the consensus closing line, if you got +8 you lose majority of time if the two teams kept playing everyday and the clsojg line was 8.5

Lets face it, beat clsoing line (consensus) you have chance to beat the book
    I should've Coach...I figured I didn't need the hook. <!-- / message -->
    sb

Coach, I see that you are down to 298 now. What is the secret? Diet?

RX SemiGod
    Bucky I do not really know who you are but would appreciate you to simmer down your sharp tongue here with remarks about my weight.

Good Luck

Thats buck from across the street JJ. How soon you forget all your MW brothers.

RX Senior
    jjgold,

Another great thread!

RX SemiGod
    Ace I bet 3 overnights last night and got best line with no shopping

Its at time you make bet is what is important

J-Man Rx NFL Pick 4 Champion for 2005 kermit16's Avatar
    JJ
    Have you ever heard of halftimes ? There are no overnites on them and shopping sometimes gives me 2 or 3 points which makes the difference in a lot of games. Keep betting with one book and you are sure to lose a lot of wagers I am winning on ! Best of luck anyway !

RX Member
    I never know what to think when I see threads like this. On one hand I'm glad because if people are spreading such monumental ignorance, they and people who are gullible enough to give them credibility are losing even more money than they have to and that keeps the industry where I make my living healthy. In effect, guys like jj are paying my bills so thanks.

But I'm basically a nice guy - and this forum has helped me - so I'll do my part to give back. Fortunately it appears that most people see this thread for what it is but just in case there are any novices out there to whom one more voice will make a difference, I'll contribute:

Someone said, "winning is key." Very true. Line shopping means your wins make more money. If you find a better moneyline, your wins make more money on the spot. If you find better spreads and totals, sometimes loses becomes pushes or wins, and sometimes pushes become wins. That's all more money. I feel completely foolish even explaining something this obvious but apparently it is not too elementary for some people.

I am the first person to use the phrase, "in my opinion" when applicable, but this is simply not debatable.

If anyone thinks more money is over-rated, fair enough. But you should say that up front when you post.

If you can pick 70% winners, fine, you don't need to worry about line shopping. You can light your cigars with hundred dollar bills. Go nuts. Or if you're a very casual hobbyist who accepts you're going to lose your money, shopping probably isn't worth the effort either. For the serious among us, line shopping can be the difference between winning and losing (or else the difference between winning and winning more).

IMO, that's not over-rated.

Huh?

IS

Coach,

Is it true that they based "The Matador" character from Tilt from your poker exploits?

Thanks.

In todays market isn't having just 3 good discount books better than line shopping at 20 books?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Swope
    Coach,

Is it true that they based "The Matador" character from Tilt from your poker exploits?

Thanks.
    No!

The Matador is a "sharp/shark". JJ is a "square/fish".

RX SemiGod
    Sam you are correct

I love guys with 20 books and all their doing is looking at same line at every book, hilarious and outright foolish

ITP keep up the jabs and I will fukkin bury you

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold
    ITP keep up the jabs and I will fukkin bury you
    JJ,

You've tried before and got your toupee handed to you.

Make sure I get those 4 leather jackets and 2 dozen shirts before you say anything. You wanted to be in the wholesale clothing business!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your a serious player you have to shop

J-Man Rx NFL Pick 4 Champion for 2005 kermit16's Avatar
    Red Eye,
    I know that you will be in Las Vegas for March madness as usual. How many games would you say We win because of line shopping instead of just betting with one book just during the first 2 rounds ?
    I have never been to a March madness that I didn't win at least 3 games because of shopping. What's your guess ? I have never heard of a serious handicapper that doesn't express the need to shop !

March Madness is a good example,but I can say I wouldn't post a profit each month without shopping. Extra 1/2 point adds up to several extra wins each month

Somewhere in the middle here lies the truth. J to the motha fuggin J is getting a rise out of many and of course you would be foolish to blindly take whatever number your one book offers you, but there is a valid point he makes about knowing which way the number is moving and getting the best of it. I think having 20 accounts these days is rather pointless and feel that having a handful (3-5?) of books with different discounts, specials and promos would serve 99% of the players more than fine.

22. #47 utter drivel 
    To say that you need to beat the closing number is utter drivel.

Many of my best bets are 5 minutes before game time. If I am confident that the dog is the side to be on and that there is likely to be mug betting on the fav, I can't see the point in taking that opening line of, let's say +6.5.

Why not wait until 5 minutes before kick-off when the line is almost certain to be closing somewhere at +7.5 or even +8 ?

The only requirement for consistent winning is to place bets at better odds than the true value of those bets. The main requirement to achieve that is to have better information, or be better at analysing available information, than the majority of the betting public.

Line shopping enables you to wring out that extra 1 or 2% profit. I personally would never have just one book - for one thing, at any given moment there is a good chance that at least 1 of the 30 or so books I use will be having server downtime, site maintenance and so on.

Some books are very strong and more or less unbeatable on some sports. But on others they appear to have hired a guy fresh out of diapers to set their lines. With all the books I have, I am able to bet against a guy fresh out of school in every sport I bet on. Why would anyone want to place most of their bets aaginst a sharp guy when by opening up more accounts they can place most of their bets against a relatively clueless line setter?

RX Senior
    This JJ charactor has a bit of a cocky attitude for a guy that thought Oklahoma was the best bet of a lifetime.

RX SemiGod
    Hilo when I am in Hawaii I will look you up and we will go out and eat and look for women to bang

The thing is you canot get many different numbers anymoere as all book move on air and copy each other

JJ you obviously don't play at Royal