Forum: Classic Threads From The Past - Visit here for a great "blast from the past" and view some terrific, informative and interesting "Classic Threads" posted by thousands of savvy sportsbettors over the years here at The Rx.com.....

Thread: Isnt blackjack exactly 50/50?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Isnt blackjack exactly 50/50? 
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    If you play per house rules every hand. Meaning you hit until 17 isnt it a dead on 50/50 game?

    This assuming you never double down, take insurance, surrender or split.

    Would have to be, no?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    no, i dont know the exact numbers anymore, but their is a pretty big house edge.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    Get a good SD game, with S17, and DAS you can get a slight advantage, but you have to play perfect BS.

    Some BJ can be 50/50, but there are lots of variables how many decks, rules, etc....

    very hard to find a good BJ game nowadays, in Vegas that is.

    BB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime21
    no, i dont know the exact numbers anymore, but their is a pretty big house edge.
    How is that even possible?

    You are playing as if you were the dealer. You hit all the way up to 17 regardless of what the dealer shows, never split, double down, take insurance or surrender. You both would have an equal chance of winning a hand.

    Think about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    RX Local Dante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    71,364
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGuy
    If you play per house rules every hand. Meaning you hit until 17 isnt it a dead on 50/50 game?

    This assuming you never double down, take insurance, surrender or split.

    Would have to be, no?
    single Deck LIVE maybe for SURE not online
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    single Deck LIVE maybe for SURE not online
    No not online.. lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Off top of my head, probably around 1.5% edge for house.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Wapner
    Off top of my head, probably around 1.5% edge for house.
    HOW?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    You can play at my casino all the time.

    BB
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGuy
    How is that even possible?

    You are playing as if you were the dealer. You hit all the way up to 17 regardless of what the dealer shows, never split, double down, take insurance or surrender. You both would have an equal chance of winning a hand.

    Think about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10 House edge. 
    "I like ketchup. It's like tomato wine." Fat Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Getting treated for Clipper fever.
    Posts
    10,015
    Blackjacka Atlantic City rules 0.43% 1.2
    Blackjackb Las Vegas single deck 0.18% 1.2
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony
    Blackjacka Atlantic City rules 0.43% 1.2
    Blackjackb Las Vegas single deck 0.18% 1.2
    I still don't get how the casino has the advantage if you are playing exactly as the dealer does.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    For the ploppy that doesnt know jack. you can get it down to about .64% roughly, playing a 6D game DAS, S17 without counting. Count, and double your bet at +1 and above, and play about break even.

    BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Wapner
    Off top of my head, probably around 1.5% edge for house.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    El cortez has the best SD i think in Vegas, but you will be kicked out fairly quick, and i think their limits are $50 max bet.

    BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony
    Blackjacka Atlantic City rules 0.43% 1.2
    Blackjackb Las Vegas single deck 0.18% 1.2
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbet1234
    For the ploppy that doesnt know jack. you can get it down to about .64% roughly, playing a 6D game DAS, S17 without counting. Count, and double your bet at +1 and above, and play about break even.

    BB
    You arent answering my question. How does the house have any kind of advantage if you and the dealer are playing to the same exact rules?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    You cant see the dealers hole card, so you have to assume what he has, not always assuming right, but playing by the strategy.

    BB
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGuy
    I still don't get how the casino has the advantage if you are playing exactly as the dealer does.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #16  
    The house gets the edge because you have to play before the dealer, and if you bust, house wins.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #17  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbet1234
    You cant see the dealers hole card, so you have to assume what he has, not always assuming right, but playing by the strategy.

    BB
    Dude it doesnt matter what the dealers hole card is.. The dealer hits regardless of what the players cards show.

    You would do the same.. Just hit up until 17 regardless
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #18  
    Banned BaseballGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Round the world
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Wapner
    The house gets the edge because you have to play before the dealer, and if you bust, house wins.
    AHHHH.. Finally an answer..

    Makes sense.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #19  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    And rules vary, you are playing at a bigger disadvantage if there is no double(like double 10, 11 only) or no double after splits(NDAS) and if blackjack pays 6/5 instead of 3/2, you are toast.

    BB
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGuy
    You arent answering my question. How does the house have any kind of advantage if you and the dealer are playing to the same exact rules?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #20  
    Rx. Senior GreenDoberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Paris of the Plains
    Posts
    17,247
    The house has an edge because you play your cards first, therefore you have to make a decision based on incomplete data.

    Proper basic strategy dictates that the house edge varies based on the rules the house sets forth. This is dependent on # of decks, doubling and splitting rules, hit/stand soft 17, surrender, and any other variables.

    There was a time when a few casinos offered games that gave the players the edge off of the top of the deck due to player-beneficial rules.

    The house edge after each hand is dependent on the composition of the remaining cards left in the deck. I won't go into the math, but the house edge changes every hand.

    There are ways to nullify rules that give the house the edge, but that is another topic beyond the scope of this discussion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #21  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    Not really, let me see the dealers hole card and it would not matter. You going first does not matter. Its the rules. Give me a good SD, S17, DAS, and Early Surrender, and I can beat the shit out of it playing first or not.

    its all about finding the rules, which are hard to do anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Wapner
    The house gets the edge because you have to play before the dealer, and if you bust, house wins.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #22  
    "I like ketchup. It's like tomato wine." Fat Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Getting treated for Clipper fever.
    Posts
    10,015
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGuy
    AHHHH.. Finally an answer..

    Makes sense.
    Lol


    I think Bigbet was saying the same thing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #23  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,251
    The house edge is built into the game, to overcome any of that you need to play properly and count cards.....playing like the dealer doesn't eliminate the HOUSE EDGE.

    That and the fact that you play first, when you bust the dealer wins, you don't get your money back if the dealer also busts....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #24  
    RX Senior Santo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    4,615
    wizardofodds.com -- read and absorb
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #25  
    Home of the Cincinnati Criminals. bigbet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    You draft them, they book'em
    Posts
    17,048
    Great explanation
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDoberman
    The house has an edge because you play your cards first, therefore you have to make a decision based on incomplete data.

    Proper basic strategy dictates that the house edge varies based on the rules the house sets forth. This is dependent on # of decks, doubling and splitting rules, hit/stand soft 17, surrender, and any other variables.

    There was a time when a few casinos offered games that gave the players the edge off of the top of the deck due to player-beneficial rules.

    The house edge after each hand is dependent on the composition of the remaining cards left in the deck. I won't go into the math, but the house edge changes every hand.

    There are ways to nullify rules that give the house the edge, but that is another topic beyond the scope of this discussion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •