hot stove notes 11/30

Search

RELAX,im just having fun
Tokens
Braves free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal is leaning toward signing with the Chicago Cubs. A source familiar with negotiations said Furcal received a five-year offer from the Cubs that was significantly greater than he was offered by the Braves, in dollars and contract length. The race for Furcal is down to two or three teams --- Braves, Cubs and possibly the Los Angeles Dodgers --- with a decision expected within a few days.

Mike Flanagan said the Orioles also are active in trade talks, but nothing appears imminent. One club source said the team has had general discussions with Philadelphia and Arizona regarding outfielder Bobby Abreu and third baseman Troy Glaus, but deals are unlikely because of the asking price for each was too high. Unless they are overwhelmed, the Orioles have no interest at this point in trading their top young pitchers, such as Daniel Cabrera, Erik Bedard, Hayden Penn and Adam Loewen.

MLB Hit King Pete Rose, guest host on the "Best Damn Sports Show Period," on the MLB: "My friends call me 'Backburner Rose,' because baseball has always got something more important going on. To tell you the truth, they'd be happy if I died tomorrow because I'm always causing problems -- and if I was eliminated, I'd stop."

The Yankees are looking at possible trades, with Bubba Crosby as a fall-back option. The Yankees are one of many teams to express interest in Tampa Bay's speedy Joey Gathright, and while the Devil Rays are thought to be sorting through trade partners, the Yankees have little of the young talent Tampa Bay seeks. Free agent Brian Giles is a possibility, but one scout who saw him frequently last year said Giles' lack of foot speed would be exposed if a team attempted to play him in center field regularly. The Toronto Sun reported that the Blue Jays, who have a center fielder in Vernon Wells, have offered Giles $55 million over five years.

The Cardinals, meanwhile, have a vacancy at second base as free agent Mark Grudzielanek ponders proposals from several clubs. The New York Mets are a leading contender.

Chicago White Sox slugger Paul Konerko rejected the Orioles' latest contract offer, a five-year deal worth $65 million, a move that threatens to end the club's courtship of the free-agent first baseman. The Orioles are believed to have made the most lucrative offer to Konerko, but seemingly remain a long shot in their quest to add his powerful bat to the middle of their order. They are awaiting a counterproposal from Craig Landis, agent for the 29-year-old first baseman, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The $65 million deal is no longer on the table, the source said

Knowing there was a possibility they'd lose Furcal, the Braves began exploring other options after the season ended. Tampa Bay shortstop Julio Lugo is high on their list of possible replacements. The Braves met with the Devil Rays during the general managers meetings three weeks ago in Indian Wells, Calif., and discussed a possible trade for Lugo, 30, who batted .295 with six homers, 57 RBIs and 39 stolen bases in a career-best season for Tampa Bay. A source familiar with discussions said the Braves and Devil Rays had more talks Tuesday about Lugo, a right-handed hitting Dominican who batted in the leadoff and No. 2 spots in the batting order last season. The Devil Rays were interested in Atlanta's Wilson Betemit last spring but wanted a player with second-base experience and got Atlanta's Nick Green in the March trade for right-hander Jorge Sosa. Betemit has played primarily third base and shortstop.

A little birdie says the Kansas City Royals have offered Twins free-agent outfielder Jacque Jones a $24 million, four-year contract. Jones, 30, was paid $5 million last season, when he hit .249 with 23 home runs and 73 runs batted in. The last-place Royals have $25 million to spend on free agents this winter.

With the Rockies thus far rebuffed in their attempts to acquire Minnesota's J.C. Romero, Randy Williams will compete with Jaime Cerda for a bullpen spot. Also, in their search for a starting pitcher, the Rockies have expressed interest in Washington free agent Tony Armas Jr.

It hardly compensates for losing Billy Wagner, but the Phillies are thought to be close to reaching an agreement with free-agent reliever Julio Santana. No announcement was made because Santana, who turns 32 in January, must pass a physical. He would project as a middle reliever or seventh-inning setup man.

The Twins are convinced that Michael Cuddyer, who committed 15 errors in 95 games at third base last season, needs to move elsewhere, preferably right field. It's why the Twins have expressed interest in free agents Bill Mueller and Nomar Garciaparra and have looked into such other third basemen as Texas' Hank Blalock and Mike Lowell, who was traded from Florida to Boston last week. Cuddyer appears destined for right field but could also be tried at second. That depends on whom the Twins come up with during their winter shopping trip. They are interested in free agent Tony Graffanino for second base. If the Twins fail to land Graffanino but come up with an outfielder (Reggie Sanders?), Cuddyer might need to dust off his second baseman's glove.

As for the Yankees’ interest in Johnny Damon, it is believed to be for less than a seven-year deal that Damon is seeking. A three-year deal could entice the Yankees, but that could simply be an initial bargaining position or a hard and fast stance.

The Rangers have asked the Pirates about Oliver Perez repeatedly since the end of the season, but they have been rejected each time. That said, Texas management has taken significant steps to assure Hank Blalock he no longer is being shopped, and there is cause to believe the expression is genuine.

Marlins free agent closer Todd Jones appreciates that GM Larry Beinfest told his agent that ''he didn't want to make an offer until he was done [with] what he had to do.'' (Translation: trading more expensive veterans.) ''He didn't want to mislead an older player. For that, I'm thankful.'' Jones said it ''looks like'' Atlanta, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati or the Yankees will be his next team. ``I'd still listen to the Marlins. After all, they gave me a shot and somebody has to save Dontrelle [Willis'] wins.''

The Mets haven't yet contacted Oakland regarding lefty Barry Zito, who might be shopped. They've made no movement on acquiring Javier Vazquez, who was linked to Washington in reports yesterday. Although the Mets wanted San Diego reliever Akinori Otsuka in the Mike Cameron deal, they don't believe he'll be shopped again this winter.

Will the Blue Jays extend general manager J.P. Ricciardi? "It's not going to be today or tomorrow," team president Paul Godfrey said yesterday when asked if an extension for Ricciardi was imminent. "Look, J.P.'s not going anywhere. I like him and he likes working with me and if we do decide to do it, it won't take long. If he walked in right now (to Godfrey's office at the Rogers Centre) and said, `Can we get this thing resolved?' I'd say, `Sure. What do you want? What do you expect and I'll tell you what I can do.'"

Brian Giles will not be returning to Pittsburgh. Giles is entertaining major, serious offers from some of the wealthiest teams in the game. The Pirates are not a player in such scenarios.

Kelly Stinnett is in and John Flaherty is out. The journeyman Stinnett, 35, has agreed to a one-year contract with the Yankees to be Jorge Posada's backup catcher, a role the popular Flaherty handled the past three seasons. The Yankees had been talking to Todd Pratt and Stinnett, and late last night Pratt told friends the Yankees were going with Stinnett, who is three years younger than Pratt, a better defensive catcher and has experience handling Randy Johnson from his Arizona days.

A baseball official last night said the Yankees are "turning up the volume" in their pursuit of bullpen help. There were rumors last night the Yankees had reached a deal with right-hander Kyle Farnsworth, but the official said he was not aware of anything finalized. One Yankees official would not confirm the deal, but did not deny it. The Yankees are also seeking a lefty, with Mike Myers, Ricardo Rincon and Joey Eischen possibilities.

MLB Hit King Pete Rose, guest host on the "Best Damn Sports Show Period,"on his MLB Hall of Fame eligibility expiring this week: "I don't understand it. You'd have to be on the ballot and I've never been on the ballot."

According to a club source, Konerko and Los Angeles veteran right-handed pitcher Paul Byrd remain the only free agents from other teams that the Orioles have presented with offers. After making a two-year, $13 million offer with an option for a third year to Byrd, the Orioles are believed to be one of the front-runners for the pitcher, who is interested in reuniting with pitching coach Leo Mazzone. However, one industry source said the Orioles are not the highest bidders for Byrd, who was in Cleveland yesterday meeting with Indians officials.

Commissioner of Baseball Bud Selig is meeting this week with at least two of the remaining bidders among the eight groups that are trying to buy the Nationals. Chicago businessman Yusef Jackson , who has partnered with grocery store billionaire Ronald Burkle , met with Selig in Milwaukee yesterday. "We are very happy for the opportunity to meet with Mr. Selig," Jackson said before the meeting. "We believe we have a strong team and should be considered a formidable bidder."

After a year-and-a-half hanging around his Palm Harbor home, Jimy Williams will start spreading that knowledge among the Devil Rays, signing on for one year as a special instructor working with minor- and major-league players. "Maybe I can take some things I learned from other people and give it to some of these kids," Williams said. "Whatever I can do to help. I'm really looking forward to this situation." Williams, 62, was 910-790 in 12 seasons as a manager with the Blue Jays, Red Sox and Astros, who fired him at the 2004 All-Star break. He also was a coach for the Jays and Braves, forging a reputation as one of the game's top instructors.

The Dodgers plan to interview Cleveland Indian third base coach Joel Skinner for their managerial opening, ensuring the job won't be filled before next week's winter meetings. General Manager Ned Colletti will interview former Boston Red Sox manager Grady Little today and New York Met third base coach Manny Acta on Thursday. Acta will travel to Los Angeles from the Dominican Republic, where he is beginning to assemble the World Baseball Classic team from that country. He has been appointed manager but would have to step down if hired by the Dodgers.

The Indians still haven't ruled out signing a B-level, free-agent outfielder who can swing the bat, a group that includes Reggie Sanders, Preston Wilson and Juan Encarnacion.

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi went on the radio yesterday in Toronto to deny reports that his team had offered outfielder Brian Giles a five-year contract for a reported $55 million. The likelihood, though Ricciardi did not say it, is that the offer was for four years, and probably for more than $10 million a year.

The Red Sox continue to maintain contact with the agent for reliever Tom Gordon, who is represented by the same agency that represents incumbent closer Keith Foulke. Gordon wants to be signed as a closer, but with the Red Sox he is making an exception. “He would be going to Boston to set up and close if Foulke went down (with an injury),” said Josh Goldberg of Beverly Hills Sports Council.

The Sox’ interest in trading for Texas second baseman Alfonso Soriano and Arizona starter Javier Vazquez is, said one club source, not very serious at this stage.

There was little news to report on the Red Sox search for a new general manager. Adviser Jeremy Kapstein has taken on a much more visible and active role since the trade of Josh Beckett last week and is interested in the position. So is Jim Beattie, who has had two official interviews with the Sox, plus additional interviews with team president and CEO Larry Lucchino. Still, like everyone else, Beattie is unsure when he will hear anything.

As of last night, Met GM Omar Minaya still had not returned a phone call that Bengie Molina's agent, Alan Nero, had left on Monday morning. Minaya made initial offers to the agents for Molina and Ramon Hernandez last week but hasn't received counter-offers from either as of yesterday afternoon. A source said nothing was imminent. If that's true, Minaya's consecutive press-conference streak will end at two.

Stories in New York, Boston and elsewhere suggest other teams are interested in Twins outfielder Torii Hunter. While the Twins have kicked around the idea, they prefer to keep Hunter and add players to help them win the AL Central. "We're not looking to move him," Ryan said. "If somebody calls, I pick up the phone. If somebody calls about him, I'll listen."

The Phillies also remain in hot pursuit of free-agent reliever Tom Gordon, who would be their next closer. Talks between the Phillies and Gordon have reached a serious stage. Gordon, 38, pitched as a setup man for the New York Yankees last season, but he wants to be a closer again. The Phillies have made an offer, but Gordon would like a three-year deal. The Phillies prefer a two-year contract. The Yankees want Gordon to return and have offered him a two-year deal. He would remain as a setup man to closer Mariano Rivera. Besides Gordon, the Phillies could announce today that they have signed righthanded reliever Julio Santana. Santana went 3-5 with a 4.50 ERA for the Milwaukee Brewers last season.

On his first day as New York Mets closer, Billy Wagner came out throwing heat at his old team. He trashed the Phillies' commitment to winning, wondered about their plan for this season, and said he'd likely still be with the club if it had been willing to give him a three-year, $24 million contract in July. Instead, he officially became a Met yesterday, signing a four-year, $43 million contract that, according to agent Bean Stringfellow, easily topped the Phillies' best offer. "The Mets are trying to win a World Series," Wagner said at Shea Stadium. "I felt like this was the right place to be." And about the team 100 miles down the road? "There's a difference between winning and being competitive," Wagner said. "In the end, I thought [the Phillies] were more interested in being competitive than winning.

Tops on the Jays' free-agent radar now are Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett and Padres outfielder Brian Giles. Among those targeted via trade are Brewers first baseman Lyle Overbay and Rangers outfielder Kevin Mench. Some current Jays are on the trade bubble. Most GMs, entering a player's final year before free agency, try to lock him up long-term or make a trade before losing him for nothing. Jay players slated to become free agents after '06 include Hillenbrand, Schoeneweis, Catalanotto, Batista, Speier and Lilly. None of these six figure into the team's long-term plans, so look for Ricciardi to dangle most of them — with the exception of Schoeneweis, the club's only experienced lefty setup man — at the winter meetings in Dallas next week.

Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi on the two players most frequently mentioned as trade possibilities, former closer Miguel Batista and Gold Glove second baseman Orlando Hudson: "I like all our players. It's just a matter of ... if we could move a player to make us better, we'd be willing. "It doesn't have to be Orlando, it doesn't have to be Batista and I think that goes for any one player. If it happens to be them, it happens to be them, but we're not out there dangling our players."

Speaking of Manny Ramirez, his legions of admirers have started a Web site and hope to collect a half-million signatures begging Red Sox czar Larry Lucchino to keep the looney left fielder. KeepManny.com was launched at 9 a.m. yesterday and by last night more than 900 Manny fans had signed on. Site starter Jeffrey M. Guinee, an account manager and Manny fan, says he hopes that when No. 24 sees the outpouring of cyber affection from Red Sox Nation “he’ll reconsider things and stay.” “Because of the media there’s this undertone that Manny’s not wanted here,” said Guinee. “But we think that if the masses were heard it wouldn’t even be close. It would be like 10-1 to keep Manny.” KeepManny.com also has a spot for fans to up the Manny ante. “We have provided you the option to list anything you would be willing to do if Manny does indeed change his mind and stay,” it says.

The Yankees have decided not to bring back John Flaherty as the backup to catcher Jorge Posada, according to someone who has discussed the catching situation with the Yankees. Cashman would not confirm the decision, saying only that Flaherty, a free agent, "is on a list we're looking at."

The Yankees are not considering moving Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez to center field and spent part of yesterday shooting down a report that had them pondering such a drastic move. "We've never discussed it, we're not considering it," general manager Brian Cashman said. Manager Joe Torre, through team spokesman Rick Cerrone, denied he told Reuters news service that the Yankees may fill their center-field vacancy with one of their left-side infielders. Cashman said Torre told him, "I didn't say it.

The Pittsburgh Pirates signed five minor league free agents on Tuesday, including right-hander Matt Whiteside, who was second in the International league in saves last season with 27. Whiteside has an 18-15 record with nine saves and a 5.23 ERA in 286 major league games with Texas, Philadelphia, San Diego, Atlanta and Toronto.

Cubs GM Jim Hendry's next task is to try and reel in free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, and then sign or acquire a power-hitting right fielder. Florida center fielder Juan Pierre also is a prime target, with his ability to add speed at the top of the order, and the Cubs have a surplus of young pitching talent to dangle. "Pursuing Rafael as a free agent has not stopped us from having trade talks with other clubs," Hendry said. "Over the next couple of weeks, obviously the path of certain things you're trying to do will become clearer."

RELAX,im just having fun
Tokens
whormoan said:
Very nice to have Giles back in San Diego
I love brian giles! but at the same time sandy alderson is preparing padre fans for life without trevor hoffman. in my eyes you HAVE to sign trevor.to let him go would have been like letting tony gwynn go.trevor should retire a padre.:sad3:

Snitch hater
Tokens
RoxyGurl said:
I love brian giles! but at the same time sandy alderson is preparing padre fans for life without trevor hoffman. in my eyes you HAVE to sign trevor.to let him go would have been like letting tony gwynn go.trevor should retire a padre.:sad3:

I agree Rox. I think they'll get Hoffy signed. I'm going to the Season Ticket Holder "State of the Padres" talk tomorrow with Towers and Alderson, so I'll let you know what I hear.

RELAX,im just having fun
Tokens
whormoan said:
I agree Rox. I think they'll get Hoffy signed. I'm going to the Season Ticket Holder "State of the Padres" talk tomorrow with Towers and Alderson, so I'll let you know what I hear.
whormoan its charger/raider week! we HAVE to get a raider hater thread going in the nfl forum! the degenerates will be rolling into town and king stahlman bail bonds will be thier home away from jail.and they will be pissed when they get crushed sunday night! we have to give the bolts love! they rock!:biggrinin

RX Senior
Tokens
Terrefic post RoxyGurl

I'll make sure BucsFan sees it, so he can get a nice head start for ya. :money8: ;)

RELAX,im just having fun
Tokens
RobFunk said:
Terrefic post RoxyGurl

I'll make sure BucsFan sees it, so he can get a nice head start for ya. :money8: ;)
wow robfunk,thats the nicest thing youve said to me or around me or about me in..in..well..EVER.lol.im trying robfunk. im trying.:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com