Exclusive DOC GOODEN NY POST INTERVIEW.........riviting!

Search

Tokens
May 31, 2006 -- <!--indexes-->EXCLUSIVE NY POST INTERVIEW

Dwight Gooden, once the king of New York baseball, today sits in a Florida prison, serving his first extended jail time after violating probation by using cocaine in March. Yesterday, Gooden gave The Post his first interview from behind bars. The 41-year-old former superstar sat in a conference room at the Gainesville Correctional Institute and shared his experiences from prison, where he's been since April 17. Gooden is currently in a medium-security prison, but he spent his first 10 days in the Reception and Medical Center in a one-man cell, something he describes as "torture."

front053106.gif

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Dwight Gooden stared at the walls, which he swore were closing in on him. He asked himself if he was dreaming. He had to be. There could be no way it had come to this. He was in hell.
No phone calls. No TV. No sunlight. No contact with anyone other than a prison guard. This is how far he'd fallen - Doctor K in a prison cell. The guards would put him in handcuffs and shackles when they took him for his shower three times a week - a shower that took place inside bars. He felt like an animal in a cage when the guards pushed his food through a slot in the bars.
As he sat in the Reception and Medical Center (RMC) in Lake Butler, Fla., Gooden's thoughts turned to a happier time when he was young and his arm was electric and when he appeared to be headed to the Hall of Fame, not these halls of shame.
"I kept looking back to the day I got drafted out of high school [in 1982] and remembering all the joy," Gooden said. "Now I'm in this little box where two people couldn't fit in there. You keep asking yourself, 'What went wrong? What went wrong?' " It is a question that Gooden's fans have been asking for years. The reports of the former Mets and Yankees star's legal woes barely faze them now. The story is so familiar, so disappointing.

As he sat yesterday in a prison conference room, wearing a powder blue jumpsuit and black boots, Gooden reflected on his two-decade battle with drugs and alcohol and the jail cell it has led him to.
"It's been a humbling experience," Gooden said. "It's like going from the top down to the bottom. This is the bottom of the bottom right here."
Gooden, the 1985 Cy Young winner, looks skinny and weathered. He is fidgety and says his stress never stops. His latest bout with the law came after he used cocaine on March 12, violating the probation he received for fleeing an officer last August during a traffic stop. A failed drug test put him in front of a judge in April. He had two choices - a one-year, one-day prison sentence or going back on probation with any slip-up resulting in a five-year sentence. He chose prison.
Yesterday, Gooden said he regrets the decision and that his attorneys did not prepare him for how difficult prison life would be.
That lesson began on April 17 when Gooden went to RMC. He spent 10 days in that one-man cell, never permitted to go outside. He had no contact with his family. He would tell time only by when he was fed.
"I still haven't recovered from that," Gooden said. "That was torture. It was like you're an animal. It was horrible."
Gooden was transferred to Gainesville on April 27, not a country club but more humane. The campus of one-story, red and white cement buildings does not look like the penitentiaries portrayed in movies other than the high barbed-wire fences surrounding it. In an unbelievable twist, it is the same prison that once housed Darryl Strawberry, Gooden's longtime teammate.
Most of his days are spent in the drug and alcohol treatment program. In Gainesville, Gooden is not in a cell but is housed in a dormitory that resembles an Army barrack with rows of bunk beds. He arises at 3:30 each morning from his top bunk, eats breakfast at 4:30, then begins his day. The prison has a boot-camp feel. When groups of inmates move from building to building, they march military style and sing cadences.
Gooden has done his best to avoid trouble but he did have to write a 250-word essay after not making his bed properly.
"It's been the hardest thing I've ever went through," he said. "I can't say some days are better than others. Some hours are better than others."
When he arrived, inmates asked Gooden about baseball constantly. He was the No. 1 draft pick in the prison's softball league, but opted not to play.
"When I first got here I had the shame, the embarrassment, the guilt because of the name and everybody knows who you are," he said. "These guys are all inmates, too - most of these guys are nice guys - but they're looking at me like I'm different than them. Because of my background they look at you and say, 'Man, you don't belong here.' "
Gooden still hasn't figured out what triggered his relapse. Maybe it was an argument with his fiancée, Monique. Maybe it was the memories of his father's death that flooded back to him after attending a funeral days earlier. Maybe it was missing baseball as spring training hit full swing.
Whatever the cause, Gooden pulled into a Raceway convenience store on his way home from his mother's house near Tampa, looking for alcohol.
One beer, he told himself. You can handle it.
The first Budweiser went down quickly. He barely enjoyed it, he was so nervous about being spotted. He began to head home, then turned the car around. The second beer "set him off."
From the convenience store, he traveled to St. Petersburg to see a cocaine dealer he knew. The dealer wasn't home on his first visit but Gooden returned. This time, a woman at the house gave Gooden the dealer's phone number. A few days later, Gooden's urine test came back dirty.
Gooden had been clean for six months. He had attended rehab for three, and been an outpatient for three more. Today, he regrets not calling his sponsor when the urge to use came over him.
"My problem is, my ego still gets in the way," he said. "I figure I can handle it myself and I don't want to bother anybody."
As he sits in prison, Gooden worries most about his family. He has not been allowed any visitors yet, and the only person he's spoken to on the phone is his fiancée. He misses his six children and worries what effect this will have on their lives. His oldest child, Dwight Jr., has already spent time in jail for cocaine possession. He tries to follow the Yankees and his nephew, Gary Sheffield, but is only allowed to watch TV on the weekends.
On Mother's Day, he thought of his elderly mother and what this has done to her. When he last saw her at his sentencing in April, he thought she had aged 10 to 15 years since his latest arrest. Mother's Day also fell on the 10th anniversary of his no- hitter for the Yankees, the highlight of his 16-year career.
"It was like a double whammy," he said. "It was a bittersweet day."
This year is also the 20th anniversary of the 1986 Mets' World Series championship. Gooden's face goes lifeless as he talks about not being a part of the celebration planned at Shea Stadium later this year. For him, that season also represents the beginning of his cocaine use.
"I look back at '86 and I remember when that season was over, that's when I first got started with cocaine," he said. "Now here we are 20 years later, the team is celebrating that year and I'm in prison because of cocaine. It's a sad story, really."
Gooden could be released as early as November. He is unsure what he will do when he gets out. His first priority is reconnecting with his children and repairing some of the damage he's done. Before his relapse, George Steinbrenner had spoken with Gooden about returning to his role as a special assistant with the Yankees once his probation officer said it was OK. After his latest embarrassment, Gooden said he would not even ask Steinbrenner for a job.
"I respect him too much to go back to him and ask for a job after all this stuff has gone on," he said.
He thinks about coaching his kids' Little League teams or helping out a high school team.
Mostly, though, he thinks about staying clean. He knows people are skeptical, but this time, he insists, will be different.
"I'm tired of hearing myself say I'm going to change and be different," he said. "Now it's just actions. All I can say is follow my actions."
He hopes the memory of prison will keep him straight. "I can't come back here," he said. "I'd rather get shot than come back here . . . If I don't get the message this time, I never will."
<!--OAS Middle-->

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh boy!
Tokens
A guy has a substance abuse problem so instead of getting treatment for him we lock him up like an animal and keep him from his family? Where is justice in that? How is he going to get better? It's obvious the guy can't control himself. Let's get him the tools he needs to get his control back.

Did he kill or injure anyone while drunk or on drugs? That would be cause for imprisonment. What was this guy's offense? Being addicted to drugs?

The prison population is increasing faster and faster in the US and most of the increase is due to more drug cases.

To be the best, you have to beat the best
Tokens
First pick in the prison softball league??? I wonder how his heat will translate to the softball field.

That's a bold #1 pick, quite risky for the team that took him.

And thats why they play the game.
Tokens
quantumleap said:
A guy has a substance abuse problem so instead of getting treatment for him we lock him up like an animal and keep him from his family? Where is justice in that? How is he going to get better? It's obvious the guy can't control himself. Let's get him the tools he needs to get his control back.

Did he kill or injure anyone while drunk or on drugs? That would be cause for imprisonment. What was this guy's offense? Being addicted to drugs?

The prison population is increasing faster and faster in the US and most of the increase is due to more drug cases.

Should we wait until the next time he drives drunk or high, then maybe he kills someone? He deserves imprisonment...and it was only the first 10 days that were the hardest, which i am sure was for detox.

Repeat offenses do deserve jail time. And by his own quote....He hopes the memory of prison will keep him straight. "I can't come back here," he said. "I'd rather get shot than come back here . . . If I don't get the message this time, I never will."
<!--OAS Middle-->

Tokens
I remember in the late 80s if you drove east on 42nd st. right before you hit 8th ave. there was a NIKE billboard of Gooden had to be 150 feet tall..He had NY in the palm of his hands..After 1986 he was admitted to Smithers Institute a wacky drug rehab program on the upper east side of manhattan..Sad tail, great talent..

Professional At All Times
Tokens
Gooden Says He Would Rather Be Shot Then Jailed Again

<!-- end presby2 --><!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- Dwight Gooden hopes his time in jail will help end his two-decade battle with drugs and alcohol, saying he'd "rather get shot than come back here," the New York Post reported Wednesday.

The former Cy Young Award winner is serving a year and a day in a Florida prison for violating his probation by using cocaine.

"You keep asking yourself, 'What went wrong? What went wrong?' " he told the Post in his first interview from prison.

Gooden, 41, is looking forward to the day he is released, which could come as early as November. He also insists he will stay clean and sober this time.

"I can't come back here," he said. "I'd rather get shot than come back here. ... If I don't get the message this time, I never will."

Gooden was serving three years of probation for speeding from police during a drunken driving traffic stop last year when he failed a drug test and acknowledged to a probation officer that he used cocaine. He chose a prison sentence over reinstatement of his probation, which would have meant the prospect of five years behind bars if he violated it again.

He was sent to the Reception and Medical Center in Lake Butler, Fla., on April 17 and spent 10 days in a one-man cell. Gooden wasn't permitted to go outside or talk to his family.

"I still haven't recovered from that," Gooden told the newspaper. "That was torture. It was like you're an animal. It was horrible."

He was transferred to the Gainesville Correctional Institute on April 27, where he spends his time in a dormitory that resembles an Army barrack, and is in the drug and alcohol treatment program.

"It's been a humbling experience," Gooden said. "It's like going from the top down to the bottom. This is the bottom of the bottom right here."

Especially heartbreaking for Gooden is the fact he's in prison while his former teammates celebrate the 20th anniversary of the New York Mets' World Series title.

"I look back at '86 and I remember when that season was over, that's when I first got started with cocaine," he said. "Now here we are 20 years later, the team is celebrating that year and I'm in prison because of cocaine. It's a sad story, really."

Gooden was the 1984 Rookie of the Year, and he was the 1985 NL Cy Young Award winner while with the Mets. He went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

In 1994, while with the Mets, Gooden was suspended for 60 days for testing positive for cocaine. He tested positive for cocaine again while on suspension and was sidelined for the 1995 season.

"It's been the hardest thing I've ever went through," he said. "I can't say some days are better than others. Some hours are better than others."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Dude Abides
Tokens
This guy has got to be kidding me.. He spends 10 days in a cell by himself with out being able to go outside and talk to his family oh the agony... Dwight ding dong wake up.. it was 10 days not 10 years..... How many times has he been busted for drugs the last 10 years and he is whining about 10 days.... He is granting interviews after 6 weeks in jail in the hope we feel sorry for him.. I for one dont......... He had it all and blew it up his nose on countless occasions.....

Tokens
Yesterday, Gooden said he regrets the decision and that his attorneys did not prepare him for how difficult prison life would be.

:smoking:gooden,houston(singer),sad-stories

Banned
Tokens
I have a feeling he will stay clean this time, this sounds like what he needed.

Atleast he was on the right track, he just slipped up, I can't begin to imagine how an addict must cope daily.

I hope he makes it...I wonder how much money he has left?

Tokens
Journeyman said:
I have a feeling he will stay clean this time, this sounds like what he needed.

Atleast he was on the right track, he just slipped up, I can't begin to imagine how an addict must cope daily.

I hope he makes it...I wonder how much money he has left?

I disagree, sad to say.

I would make him an underdog to stay clean for 4 years after this stint in prison...........as I think you would too.

Sad

Banned
Tokens
Weird he chose prison, and now admits it being a mistake....I think this is the first time he's been really punished and I think that might be what he needed, I am naive though, I tend to believe people too easily.

Tokens
Journeyman said:
Weird he chose prison, and now admits it being a mistake....I think this is the first time he's been really punished and I think that might be what he needed, I am naive though, I tend to believe people too easily.

Well, the STRAWman is doing very well for himself here in Tampa...........hope he continues to do so.

Tokens
More likely 4 months. Gooden had the best year i ever saw in '85. better than guidry, gibson, fydrich, or Mclain. Total domination, i think i was on him for evry start.

Optimist
Tokens
It is a sad story. Can't say I feel sorry for him. At one point you have to look at what's going on around you and realize the destruction you are creating and check yourself. Once your bank accounts dwindles to 0000000.00000. Once you slap your wife. Once your son goes to jail. After multiple arrests. Something HAS to grab you. Get over the fact that you are not the Hall of Famer everyone predicted, that you've pissed your money away, that you have failed as a parent and as a husband, and understand you have time to salvage your life. Although I don't generally agree that drug users should be jailed, there is the fact that he has endagered others. If he was just staying at home frying his brain, that's a different issue. But regardless of how you feel about the laws, you know what they are, and the consequences. Besides, given his tone in this interview, he seems to be gaining an understanding of his problems, and the price he has to pay to induldge them. Here's hoping he forgets about what he has lost, and be thankfull he has an opportunity to get his life back. He's got to face the fact that busting your ass for 40+ a week to earn a paycheck to pay the bills is his future. Like Fish, I'm not quite sold that he can do that.

Oh boy!
Tokens
Line Tamer said:
Should we wait until the next time he drives drunk or high, then maybe he kills someone? He deserves imprisonment...and it was only the first 10 days that were the hardest, which i am sure was for detox.

Repeat offenses do deserve jail time. And by his own quote....He hopes the memory of prison will keep him straight. "I can't come back here," he said. "I'd rather get shot than come back here . . . If I don't get the message this time, I never will."
<!--OAS Middle-->

I agree with you Line. I wasn't aware of whether he went through rehab before or how many previous drug offenses he had. It looks like he was given plenty of chances before to get straight. Like others say in this thread, maybe this is what it takes for him to get straight.

Tokens
quantumleap said:

Thats one of our little dirty secrets...America seems to be one of the top countries in guaranteeing that majority or drug addicts are set concretely into life of crime that ultimately comes back to bite every one in the ass including your kids, family and friends.

Its suprising that in this day and age, we still think drug addiction is any different from any other disease... (I bet Rush Limbaugh doesnt rant on any more about locking up drug addicts.)

I personally hate substance abusers of all kinds!!! (I have disowned very good friends who smoked entirely too much, mainly because some of their smoking habits were rubbing off on me.) But when will we realize that this problem can only be solved by resolving to help the addict in a practical manner!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com