If the Timesonline reported it,it mustve been true,right?

Search

Living...vicariously through myself.
Tokens
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=785 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=25>
<!--
grey.gif
--></TD><!-- middle column spacer with grey line ends --><!-- right column starts --><TD vAlign=top align=left width=630><!-- editorial section and commercial section holder start --><!-- Vignette StoryServer 5.0 Thu May 11 17:37:48 2006 --><!--- editorial section and commercial section holder start ---><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=630 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3 height=49><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=630 border=0><TBODY><TR><!-- title --><TD class=tdtitle vAlign=bottom width=630 height=48>The Sunday Times - World</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
grey.gif
</TD></TR><TR><!--- editorial section start ---><TD vAlign=top width=630><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=305><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=305 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=305 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
trans.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=305 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>

The Sunday Times
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>

September 04, 2005
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
CIA videos reveal the missed chances to kill Bin Laden

Yosri Fouda and Nick Fielding
Wrangles stopped arming of plane

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height=5>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=305 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>PREVIOUSLY unseen footage of Osama Bin Laden taken by a CIA spy drone reveals how close the Americans came to killing the Al-Qaeda leader two years before the September 11 attacks.

The pictures were filmed by a Predator unmanned aircraft and show Bin Laden, in white robes, with a small group of followers at a training camp near Khost in eastern Afghanistan at the end of 1999. The drone was one of the first to be used in Afghanistan by the CIA, but because of bureaucratic wrangles it was unarmed.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0 VALIGN="TOP"><TBODY><TR><TD id=mpuHeader name="mpuHeader"></TD></TR><TR align=right><TD align=right><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>NI_MPU('middle');</SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The pictures, thought to be the first spy plane footage of Bin Laden to be published, have been obtained from American sources by Al-Jazeera, the Arabic language television station. “We had no doubt over his identity.

Bin Laden can clearly be seen standing out from the rest of the group next to the buildings,” said Michael Scheuer, a former CIA officer who headed Alec Station, the agency’s unit which tracked Bin Laden during the 1990s.

He added: “Nobody at the top of the CIA wanted to take the decision to arm the Predator. It meant that even if we could find him (Bin Laden) we were not allowed to kill him.”

The pictures are part of a mass of evidence now emerging of the missed opportunities to kill or capture Bin Laden and his associates before they launched the terror attacks on America in 2001.

They include at least three further occasions in Afghanistan between 1998 and 2000 when the CIA had Bin Laden in its sights but was prevented from acting. There were divisions between the agency and the White House over who would have the authority to fire and the legality of killing the Al-Qaeda leader.

On one occasion a satellite photographed the Al-Qaeda leader on a hunting trip, but the White House ordered the CIA not to launch a missile attack after finding out that princes from a friendly Arab country were in his party.

On another occasion a raid by local tribesmen on Bin Laden’s base in Kandahar, southern Afghanistan, was called off after American officials could not agree on whether it should go ahead.

The third episode, also in Kandahar, involved a human spotter tracking him for five days, but the decision was taken not to attack because of fears over civilian casualties.

The missed opportunities are documented in Blinking Red, an Al-Jazeera series beginning this week to mark the fourth anniversary of September 11.

It describes how Bill Clinton’s administration turned down an offer from the Sudanese government to help to capture Bin Laden when he was living in Khartoum in the early to mid-1990s. It also shows how the Americans “lost” two of the September 11 hijackers despite having them under surveillance. The two men later entered America.

“The Bush administration has still not come clean with the American people about 9/11. Our investigation, which has taken a year to complete, has raised many outstanding questions that urgently need to be answered, not least over the missed opportunities to take out senior leaders of the organisation,” said Al-Jazeera.

The nearest the CIA came to killing Bin Laden was on the hunting trip in February 1999, just a few months before the Predator incident. The site was a camp in the desert south of Kandahar where Bin Laden had gone with wealthy visitors from the United Arab Emirates.

Afghan agents reported the trip to a CIA station. Tracking teams were immediately dispatched and by February 9 they had located the isolated camp, close to a large airstrip.

Richard Clarke, Clinton’s senior counter-terrorism adviser, has written in his memoirs: “When word came through that we had a contemporaneous sighting from our informants, the counter-terrorism security group met immediately by secure video conference.”

An attack on the camp using cruise missiles was the only option the Americans could employ at such short notice. The previous year a similar strike using dozens of missiles had been launched on the Khalden training camp in the east of the country, but there were few casualties and the work of the camp was hardly disrupted. This time, with a smaller, more clearly defined target, the intelligence experts believed they would have more luck.

The attack was planned for February 11, but according to Scheuer the White House stalled. Officials wanted more information about Bin Laden’s movements.

In addition it was now clear that the hunting party consisted of minor princes from the United Arab Emirates, an American ally in the Gulf.

As the White House dithered, the hunting party moved on. “All that was left was a pile of burning garbage in the desert,” said Scheuer this weekend. He claimed that the group had left after Clarke called a senior figure in the Emirates royal family. “It’s hardly surprising that they pulled out so quickly and that we lost our chance to kill Bin Laden,” said Scheuer.

The Al-Jazeera series also reveals how the January 2000 meeting in Kuala Lumpur, at which the September 11 attacks were planned, came to light after the CIA tracked the telephones of Khalid al-Midhar, later to become one of the hijackers.

Most of the senior planners of the attacks, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Ramzi Binalshibh, were at the meeting, which was also photographed by intelligence agents. Shortly afterwards Al-Midhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi, another of the future hijackers who was also at the Malaysian meeting, flew to San Diego using their real names and passports. They were so casual that Al-Hazmi’s name appears in the San Diego residential phone directory for the period when they were in the area.

The ease with which the two men were able to operate in America came partly because the CIA did not show its evidence to the FBI — responsible for internal security — until June 2001, 18 months after the planning meeting and well after the two had entered the country.

The failures revealed in the Al-Jazeera documentary were echoed last week by further revelations about the so-called Able Danger military intelligence unit.

Two members of this unit have come forward in recent weeks to say that Mohammed Atta, leader of the September 11 hijackers, was known as a terrorist suspect at least a year before the attacks.

Lieutenant-Colonel Anthony Shaffer and Captain Scott Philpott, former members of the unit, said that Atta and three of the other hijackers had been identified. They say that they testified to the September 11 commission but their testimony was not taken seriously.

The Al-Jazeera series, together with Scheuer’s disclosures, add to growing pressure on the American authorities over their performance in the run-up to September 11. In an unpublished report to Congress last week John Helgerson, the US government’s inspector-general, delivered a scathing attack on George Tenet, CIA director at the time of September 11, and a score of other agency personnel for their failure to develop a strategy against Al-Qaeda.
The report recommends a public reprimand against Tenet, James Pavitt, former deputy director of operations, and Cofer Black, former head of the counter-terrorism centre.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
------------------------------------------

Right Eek?

As bad as the "Path to 911" paints Clinton and his clowns it wont be nearly bad enough.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hangin' about
Tokens
Oops, sorry. I thought this thread was going to be about all the false reporting on WMD and yellowcake from Niger.

My bad.

Tokens
You mean the WMD that even Saddams top loyalists and highest ranking officers believed he had and that strong evidence suggests was moved to Syria or the fake reports from Joe Wilson regarding Iraqs yellowcake purchases in Niger?

Seriously X ,the myth of the unjust and illegal war has been erased....move on sweetie.Plenty of reasons for Saddam to fall instead of just "keeping him in a box" as Clinton has criticized he wouldve done.

hangin' about
Tokens
Erased? Only in the minds of the warmongering apologists.

But, whatever. Only one hundred thousand dead, so why get rehash all the details of bad reporting and subsequent public support, right?

Tokens
xpanda said:
Erased? Only in the minds of the warmongering apologists.

But, whatever. Only one hundred thousand dead, so why get rehash all the details of bad reporting and subsequent public support, right?

Hundred thousand dead??? Talk about bad reporting....source?

As far as warmongering the last time I checked there were chances for the "illegal" war to be averted and all options were exhausted when Saddam and sons refused to voluntarily step down....hardly sounds like mongering to me.

And youll get no apologizing from me......this was the right call all along,just another in a long line of things the rats/liberals/libertarians were all wrong about but continue to stubbornly refuse to admit.

Tokens
BASEHEAD said:
Hundred thousand dead??? Talk about bad reporting....source?

Iraqi lives don't count, Xpanda.

Also for Neocons, if OTHER people (i.e. US soldiers) die, it doesn't matter either. They think that buying a ribbon saying "Support the troops" is their "sacrifice"

hangin' about
Tokens
Okay, call it fifty thousand. Still a little more of a consequence of bad reporting than the article in your OP, no? I mean, your article implies that bad reporting in the Times is bad PR for Bush. Months of bad reporting on Iraq led to the death of tens of thousands. Slight difference.

Potayto, potahto, I guess, to you.

the last time I checked there were chances for the "illegal" war to be averted and all options were exhausted

Do you really believe this? I mean, do you really really believe this? One of the 'options', peaches, would have been to not declare the ultimatum in the first place, to pay some attention to all the dissenting views on Iraqi WMD from within the CIA and Pentagon, and to not be so hell-bent on war from the fucking outset.

That you went to war was a foregone conclusion. Getting the press onside was only a matter of detail.

But, again, whatever. You got your war, and now tens of thousands of people are needlessly dead at the hand of your gov't. REAL people, Base. REAL FUCKING PEOPLE.

Tokens
cincy_ said:
Iraqi lives don't count, Xpanda.

Also for Neocons, if OTHER people (i.e. US soldiers) die, it doesn't matter either. They think that buying a ribbon saying "Support the troops" is their "sacrifice"
I guess Id be considered a neocon at this point......I dont think youre portraying me accurately however.....let me try your "type":

Pacifists that apologize for terrorists.....soldiers deaths bring delight under the guise of disgust of an unjust war and civilians deaths but a piece of propaganda to disperse for their cause.They dont even bother with the ribbon.The neverending fight against the evil Bushco administration is thier sacrifice.Cindy Sheehan is their Strauss.

Im sure you stay up late at night tossing and turning because of the innocent civilians being killed by "insurgents" right in Iraq?

Please dude.

Tokens
I am not a pacifist, but I don't ask someone else to do something that I am not willing to do myself.

No, but you COWARDS who promote war want someone else to fight for you and you want someone else to DIE for you. If you want to fight the terrorists, please go enlist, Basehead.

Give up the comforts of your mother's basement and go out in the world.

You can't hold a candle to Cindy Sheehan. Cindy Sheehan saw her son die for this country. What have you sacrificed?

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, ALL GAS AND NO FUCKING EXPLOSION!!!!!!!!

Tokens
xpanda said:
Okay, call it fifty thousand. Still a little more of a consequence of bad reporting than the article in your OP, no? I mean, your article implies that bad reporting in the Times is bad PR for Bush. Months of bad reporting on Iraq led to the death of tens of thousands. Slight difference.

Potayto, potahto, I guess, to you.

Do you really believe this? I mean, do you really really believe this? One of the 'options', peaches, would have been to not declare the ultimatum in the first place, to pay some attention to all the dissenting views on Iraqi WMD from within the CIA and Pentagon, and to not be so hell-bent on war from the fucking outset.

That you went to war was a foregone conclusion. Getting the press onside was only a matter of detail.

But, again, whatever. You got your war, and now tens of thousands of people are needlessly dead at the hand of your gov't. REAL people, Base. REAL FUCKING PEOPLE.

All Saddam had to was to step down....simple.He remained defiant till the very end...didnt he.There was an ultimatum regarding this and I can get the text if you want.The UN didnt want this (obviously)....Saddam didnt want this (expectedly)......and to believe you the US didnt even want this(warmongering).Regardless it never happened and now things are what they are.Blaming the US for the loss of human life in a conflict that couldve been averted by the actions of the the man supposedly responible for the human lives in the first place is simple deflection and some of that apologizing youre accusing others of.The problem is Saddam cared very little for anyone but himself and his sons.Why do you guys refuse to acknowledge who the real bad guys are.

How many US citizens would be dead X if we took the Clinton route of appeasement and continued UN convolution? You cant say and neither can I.It could be 0 like it stands now......but it could be 10,100,1000,10000....who knows.I know how many since we did attack tho.

I realize most war is illegal to you......sometimes the ends justify the means to me.This a one of those times.

Tokens
BASEHEAD said:
.who knows.I know how many since we did attack tho.

You attacked NOBODY. The US Army was sent to attack Iraq. People like you and Cheney and Bush and Wolfowitz would NEVER go .... unless it was under the cover of night to "support the troops"

bushman
Tokens
Wouldn't know Base, I never read the Sunday papers.
Our Sunday papers are a bit weird over here, they're a kind of circulation booster edition with all kinds of speculative stuff.
...a lot of which ends up as high court proceedings, I think a lot of the Sunday papers might be ring fenced because they stir up so much chit.

The Monday to Saturday editions are ok, but I would take anything in any Sunday edition with a pinch of salt.

I notice that it was Al-J who managed to get that CIA tape.
Has Al-Jazeera managed to obtain that memo of Bush wanting to bomb their HQ in the Gulf yet?

Nice to see you using more varied sources btw. :103631605

Tokens
cincy_ said:
I am not a pacifist, but I don't ask someone else to do something that I am not willing to do myself.

No, but you COWARDS who promote war want someone else to fight for you and you want someone else to DIE for you. If you want to fight the terrorists, please go enlist, Basehead.

Give up the comforts of your mother's basement and go out in the world.

You can't hold a candle to Cindy Sheehan. Cindy Sheehan saw her son die for this country. What have you sacrificed?

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, ALL GAS AND NO FUCKING EXPLOSION!!!!!!!!

My Moms basement and the "go enlist".......We hit the sweet spot.

I feel like sd2 today.Cincy just embrace your inner pacisfism.

Im not going to into the personal attachments I have to the military currently serving to keep you from getting blown up over the Atlantic.Ive gone thru it a number of times.Theres no one this site that appreciates the soldiers or their sacrifice more than I.I dont have a ribbon though.There are plenty of ways to get "support" to the troops.....none of which Id expect you to know much about.

Cindy Sheehan soils her sons name daily......shes disgusting.He believed in the mission she chooses call farce.She doesnt even acknowledge her sons death as a sacrifice.....Im not sure any of you actually do either.

I freely admit Ive sacrificed nothing in relation to what the military is currently engaged in.....but it would be hypocritcal for you to criticize me for it simply because I support the cause.

hangin' about
Tokens
BASEHEAD said:
How many US citizens would be dead X if we took the Clinton route of appeasement and continued UN convolution? You cant say and neither can I.It could be 0 like it stands now......but it could be 10,100,1000,10000....who knows.I know how many since we did attack tho.

I realize most war is illegal to you......sometimes the ends justify the means to me.This a one of those times.

Tell the tens of thousands of dead Iraqis that their deaths are justified for some phantom American death count by Iraqi arms at some unknown, unqualified point in time maybe, possibly down the road. But definitely not the 45-minutes away scenario used to get your support. Fuck, 45 days, even 45 months, is a bloated exaggeration.

Tell the parents of dead Iraqi children that their ends justify your means. I dare you.

powdered milkman
Tokens
would love to see basehead joec willie 99 and the rest of these bush see and knows all cowards go over there and then get torn to bits by a car bomb..........i know it wont happen but i have dreams too

Tokens
xpanda said:
Tell the parents of dead Iraqi children that their ends justify your means. I dare you.

As much as I know they would never enlist ... I can't see these gutless cowards actually stepping foot in Iraq, let alone approaching a family who had a son killed.

They prefer the security of home - far from the action and with the full-fledged bravery of being out of range.

Tokens
cincy_ said:
As much as I know they would never enlist ... I can't see these gutless cowards actually stepping foot in Iraq, let alone approaching a family who had a son killed.

They prefer the security of home - far from the action and with the full-fledged bravery of being out of range.

I thank the lord that none of my freinds have been hurt or killed in the war(s).They are part of the vast majority of guys who come and go from Iraq without being blown up by an IED.Ones who list isolation from their families as thier number one gripe....not lack of armor or a proactive dynamic plan.THEY know the truth behind such jiberish.I have however had the solemn expericence of going to two military funerals of men killed in Iraq.

I think youd be in for a shock if you ever attended a military funeral of an Iraq war hero.Clearly none of you bigmouths have.Do you think they act like Sheehan...playing the victim to W's evil game of chess? They understand that their loved ones chose this duty and although you folks choose to paint the cause as useless theyd beg to differ I can assure you.Maybe you should be the ones conversing with families of dead soldiers you ignorant fuckers.

None of you....not one of the lot of you have spoken to one soldier either about this war,right?Do you think they fear being or going to Iraq? Do you think they wake up thinking everyday is their last? Do you know what most soldiers think of the Iraqis they train and protect? Do you think they dont believe in the overall big picutre of things instead of this fantasy of the "Iraq War" which is but a battle in the actual war? Yeah Iraqs not nice....wasnt before they got there....probably will still be a shithole when they leave (but of course were never leaving right) but the thing that Im told bothers the soldiers more than ANYTHING is being bored,not scared.Of course they want to come home but not before they do what theyre there to do.Next time you see a soldier ask him some questions,maybe youll become more enlightnened.Perhaps this enlightenment will turn your pity into admiration and appreciation.They arent doing this for the Iraqis...it their job and theyre doing it for YOU.

Now go sit in front of a tank like a good peacenik.

Militant Birther
Tokens
What do you appeaceniks call your act? Bravery? Patriotic dissent? Constructive criticism? Independendent foresight which will eventually lead to this long twilight struggle being over, without anyone getting hurt?

All I gotta say is,

:laughingb

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag who gives that protester the freedom he abuses to burn that flag.

Hey Panda, tell the 500,000 mothers of the babies who died as a result of the UN sanctions, or the million Iraqis wo were killed under Saddam's iron fist, or the Kurds who were victims of Saddam's nerve gas attacks, that liberating Iraq wasn't the right thing to do.

Go ahead, oh righteous ones, I dare ya! :puppy:

Tokens
xpanda said:
Tell the tens of thousands of dead Iraqis that their deaths are justified for some phantom American death count by Iraqi arms at some unknown, unqualified point in time maybe, possibly down the road. But definitely not the 45-minutes away scenario used to get your support. Fuck, 45 days, even 45 months, is a bloated exaggeration.

30,000 or whatever dead... that's harsh but it's relative.
970,000 more to go and Saddam's death count is beaten.
What do the Iraqis have to say about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com