Iraq war 'disaster for Mid-East'

Search

bushman
Tokens
stay the course guys...stay the course...

A wee gem in here too:
Spokesman Tony Snow accepted there had been unrest in
Iraq but pointed to attempts to establish democracy in Lebanon...etc
Those WH motherfuckers just stood by supported the bombing and murder of moderate Lebanese society, and the obliteration of their infrastructure.
credibility zero...and falling...American foreign policy at work...

-----------------------------------------------------------

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Iraq war 'disaster for Mid-East'

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
_42059152_girl203.jpg
Iraq has become one of the most violent places on Earth

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->The UN secretary general has said that most Middle East leaders regard the US-led invasion of Iraq and its aftermath as a disaster for the region.
Kofi Annan, speaking at a briefing following his recent tour of the region, said that the timing of any US withdrawal was now a key issue.
He said some leaders wanted the US to stay in Iraq and stabilise it, while others wanted an immediate withdrawal.
The White House said it disagreed with his characterisation of events in Iraq. <!-- E SF -->
Spokesman Tony Snow accepted there had been unrest in Iraq but pointed to attempts to establish democracy in Lebanon and in Palestinian areas, and said democracy was also gaining a footing in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Mr Annan was speaking at a news conference at the UN in New York ahead of this year's General Assembly.
He also appealed to Iran to work with the international community to solve the dispute over its nuclear programme. Washington accuses Tehran of attempting to build a nuclear bomb.
'Cloud of uncertainty'
Speaking about his tour of Middle East nations, Mr Annan told reporters: "Most of the leaders I spoke to felt that the invasion of Iraq and its aftermath have been a real disaster for them...They believe it has destabilised the region."
But he also said many leaders wanted the Americans to stay in Iraq until the security situation improved, arguing that "having created the problem they cannot walk away".
He said other leaders, notably in Iran, felt "the presence of the US is a problem and that the US should leave, and if the US were to decide to leave, they would help them".
Mr Annan concluded: "So in a way, the US has found itself in a position where it cannot stay and it cannot leave.
"And I believe, if it has to leave, the timing has to be optimum and it has to be arranged in such a way that it does not lead to even greater disruption or violence in the region." Turning to Iran, Mr Annan said he detected a slight shift in Tehran's approach and believed the Iranians were more open to suspending their nuclear enrichment activities as part of negotiations. "We cannot afford another crisis in this region. I appeal to the Iranians to ...lift the cloud of uncertainty surrounding their programme, so hopefully this will be done."<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5344334.stm

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
Yes, because Sadamn and his murdering, torturing, raping regime that waged two wars on neighboring countries and used chems on his own people while providing a safe haven and financing for terrorists as he sought to obtain WMD brought "stability" to the region. Sadamn is said to have killed between 300,000 to 1,000,000 Iraqis. Through in a war with Iran and the invasion of Kuwait, and you gotz youself a madman. But hey, Euro's thought appeasing Hitler would bring peace, they just don't learn from bad experiences.

:103631605

Kofi is a fucking clown and the UN has failed at every undertaking since he was in charge. Of course, friends & families made millions. And countries in the region may not have wanted us to invade Iraq, but they sure wanted us to stick around and protect them from Iraq.

Then again, leaders of those countries have to say they didn't want us to invade, privately, they may have supported Sadamn's removal

Banned
Tokens
Willie99 said:
Yes, because Sadamn and his murdering, torturing, raping regime that waged two wars on neighboring countries and used chems on his own people while providing a safe haven and financing for terrorists as he sought to obtain WMD brought "stability" to the region. Sadamn is said to have killed between 300,000 to 1,000,000 Iraqis. Through in a war with Iran and the invasion of Kuwait, and you gotz youself a madman. But hey, Euro's thought appeasing Hitler would bring peace, they just don't learn from bad experiences.

:103631605

Kofi is a fucking clown and the UN has failed at every undertaking since he was in charge. Of course, friends & families made millions. And countries in the region may not have wanted us to invade Iraq, but they sure wanted us to stick around and protect them from Iraq.

Then again, leaders of those countries have to say they didn't want us to invade, privately, they may have supported Sadamn's removal

How nice that you did not mention where he got the chemical weapons to go to war with Iran. Iraqi people were much happier with him there then they are now. But since your local news does not report that you probably would never believe it. It is so sad how the government controls its puppets. I now know how the anti nazi Germans felt watching all the citizens blindly follow along.

bushman
Tokens
Lots of unexploded ordinance lying about in civilian areas of Lebanon now with
"Made in the USA, the land that loves Democracy" stamped on it.

----------------------------------------------------

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Clearing up cluster bombs in Lebanon

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IBYL --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=416 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>By Jenny Cuffe
Reporter, Seven Days in Southern Lebanon
999999.gif

<!-- E IBYL -->
<!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
_42083148_ryabalaf300.jpg
Rya returned home despite the dangers

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->Shuffling through the debris in her carpet slippers, Rya Balaf shows me where she found unexploded sub-munitions from cluster bombs in the living room of her house in Siddiqine, south of Tyre.
They have now been cleared away, and beneath the hole in the ceiling she tries to restore a bit of order.
She offers me a cup of tea or coffee, despite not having any running water or electricity.
I ask her why she came back when she knew it would be dangerous.
"I would rather die in my land, even in a tent, than die away from my home," she says.
Many of Rya's neighbours, especially those with children, took one look at their town and went away again.
Risk to life
Six hundred homes were damaged or destroyed in the conflict, many of them in the last 48 hours before the ceasefire, and the streets are carpeted with unexploded ordnance - war's deadly legacy.
It is emerging that 25% to 30% of cluster bombs failed to detonate on impact, a far higher dud rate than expected. You find them on staircases and in gardens and hanging in the peach trees.
<!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
_42083146_mapkids203.jpg
The Mines Advisory Group warn children of the dangers

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->
The UN has declared mine clearance a priority.
British NGO, MAG (Mines Advisory Group), had four teams operating in South Lebanon before the conflict, using mainly Lebanese staff to clear the 450,000 landmines that were left when the Israelis ended their occupation in 2002.
Now they are working round the clock to cope with a full-scale emergency, waiting for another 20 teams to arrive.
Andy Gleeson, technical operations manager, previously worked in Iraq where most of the bombs were aimed at military targets.
"The biggest difference here is seeing far more civilians affected," he says. "We're talking about a risk to life".
In Jabal Amel Hospital in Tyre, 10-year-old Hassan Thini lies, dark-eyed, under the white sheet and tells me about his traumatic home-coming in the border village of Aita al-Shaab.
_42083142_hassan203.jpg
Hassan is still in pain from his wound

He was exploring with his cousin and a friend when one of them picked up a sub-munition and threw it.
He describes running with his intestines falling out, trying to hold them in and screaming.
A week and several operations later, the wound in his stomach still hurts.
According to official statistics, 55 civilians were injured and nine killed in the first two weeks of peace.
Nine Lebanese soldiers and several Hezbollah fighters have also died while clearing munitions.
Munition 'trophy'
In Zaoutar al Gharbiye, a village overlooking the Litani River, MAG is asked to investigate two accidents involving farmers returning for the first time to their tobacco fields.
Andy Gleeson is then called to look at a sub-munition in someone's house.
He finds that the owner, Ahmed Shoukar, is a Hezbollah fighter who was injured in the leg after collecting cluster bombs. He had kept one on a shelf as a trophy.
_42083144_manwithmunition203.jpg
Ahmed Shoukar has kept the mine as a 'trophy'

Far from wanting MAG to remove the deadly object, he is determined to hang onto it.
When Andy hears that there are children in the house who may be tempted to play with it, he storms out of the building saying, "I should punch his lights out".
After clearing roads and houses, the next priority will be gardens and then fields. However long it takes, MAG team leader, Ghassan Sulaiman from Maifadoun, says he is proud to help his country. "If you destroy my house, I will rebuild it," he says.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5342500.stm

Tokens
Oops is right. Just like the good old USA to pick a side in some foreign conflict like the Iraq/Iran war and then have to fight and tear down the side we helped about a decade later.

We don't fucking owe Iraq a government just because the last one included a brutal dictator who skimmed oil $$$ to fill his own pockets.

Democracy isn't going to work over there given the culture and sects involved and the stranglehold religion has there.

Regardless how high your head is in the clouds its costing us over a billion dollars a week to referee that shithole, when we leave they will have their religious free-for-all and earn whatever end they're willing to fight for. Until then its another billion a week to postpone reality kicking in.

WTF are you expecting to accomplish over there that won't ever happen?

Handicapper
Tokens
heatohio said:
How nice that you did not mention where he got the chemical weapons to go to war with Iran. Iraqi people were much happier with him there then they are now. But since your local news does not report that you probably would never believe it. It is so sad how the government controls its puppets. I now know how the anti nazi Germans felt watching all the citizens blindly follow along.

please provide a link for this "people happier" under Sadamn comment.

The last polling I saw, done by the BBC, Iraqis said they were better off now then under Sadamn, they were more optimistic now then under Sadamn, they believed they would be better off in one year then they are now, they want Americans to leave, but only after the job was done. Now, unlike the typical leftie, I will concede the BBC poll is several months old.

The American media coverage is what distorts the truth and drives down support for the war. There are over 2,000 murders a year in California alone. If the media covered and headlined every single one of them, and talked about the chaos these murders create and the families destroyed, they could make California look almost as uncivilized as Iraq. I'm just giving an example of how opinions can be distorted, and I'm not comparing CA to Iraq.

Handicapper
Tokens
heatohio said:

The "local news" does not report what I believe.

How nice not to address one fucking issue in the post, but just pull a "happier" under Sadamn comment from out in left field. I guess it's foggy today.

People that graze on hay shouldn't start fires, all the ninety percenters belong to leftie special interests or leftie voting blocks. Another swing and miss.

This country's biggest problem is not puppets, it's the looney left wackos. You see, the puppets you refer to raise their families together, pay the most taxes, create the most jobs, live in the burbs, know who are enemies are and vote on election day. We don't need no special incentives to vote, or a phone call to remind us to vote, or a fucking van to pick us up.

Tokens
Even if there are over 2000 deaths in California alone, the media cannot possibly distort the fact that the violence in Iraq is way more out of control than isolated shootings and gang murders in California.

At least in California you can sit in a restaurant and be pretty sure that yourself and the 30-40 people sitting around you won't be going home in a bodybag because some religious nut decided to blow himself up in a carbomb that levels the building. Same goes for riding a bus.

There are day to day murders in every country in the world, but the brutal level of violence and the body count occuring during individual attacks are way out of sight in Iraq. Those attacks in Iraq happen nearly everyday.

You'll kill off some terrorists and disorganize their networks, but the rest of Iraq and this whole installation of democracy is a total fucking lost cause, and was from day 1, regardless what the media reports.

Handicapper
Tokens
Marco said:
Even if there are over 2000 deaths in California alone, the media cannot possibly distort the fact that the violence in Iraq is way more out of control than isolated shootings and gang murders in California.
Marco said:
The media is distorting real life in Iraq. I prefer to believe the words of our soldiers and the words of Iraqis themselves. People on the front lines. There is danger, there is a war, but the perception is 1000x times then reality.

At least in California you can sit in a restaurant and be pretty sure that yourself and the 30-40 people sitting around you won't be going home in a bodybag because some religious nut decided to blow himself up in a carbomb that levels the building. Same goes for riding a bus.

Of course I believe California is safe, but 2000+ people are murdered a year. How bad can we make it look if we wanted to? And the vast majority of Iraqis are not being harmed, another point just totally missed.

There are day to day murders in every country in the world, but the brutal level of violence and the body count occuring during individual attacks are way out of sight in Iraq. Those attacks in Iraq happen nearly everyday.

It is a country at war, trying to keep their freedom.

You'll kill off some terrorists and disorganize their networks, but the rest of Iraq and this whole installation of democracy is a total fucking lost cause, and was from day 1, regardless what the media reports.

We're just going to have to let time do it's thing. Most leftie arguments fade away, be it 1936, 1948, 1964,1980, 2000 or 2006. Time is just not on your side, time and time again.

Tokens
"Time is just not on your side, time and time again."

Just like that whole Israel/ Palestine getting along together thing?

How much time you gonna give that? :missingte

Another day, another bombing....or two or three...

Just keep "stayin the course" in Iraq......

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:party:

Militant Birther
Tokens
Marco said:

How the Israel/Palestine issue a "righty thing" -- or for that matter, remotely within anyone's control?

Handicapper
Tokens
Marco said:

Israel & Palistine getting along? did I say that?

I said let Israel destroy those who seek to destroy it. I think it's the lefties that keep singing "give peace another chance".

Where on earth did this come from?

What do you suggest for Israel v Palistine?

Tokens
What I'm talking about is all this unbased confidence in the hopes of democracy taking hold in Iraq.

Willie thinks the violence in Iraq is being overblown, when in fact suicide bombers are wiping people out on a regular basis dozens at a time.

To which Willie responds that "time is not on my side".......

So if it's just a matter of time.....then how long is it going to take to establish what you seek in Iraq when you have a model in Israel/Palestine that has been a failure from the gate?

I'm comparing this attempt in Iraq with Israel/Palestine trying to push each other into the Med sea for 6 decades and easily see a comparable ending in the outcome of Iraq.

And for Joe: "How the Israel/Palestine issue a righty thing -- or for that matter, remotely within anyone's control?"

Wasn't blaming Is/Pal on the righty's, only blame them if they think they can change the future from what history has shown the last decades....there will be plenty of politicians from both parties with their head up their asses thinking about peace in the ME.....and Iraq, exactly. Not remotely within anyone's control.

I didn't really have to spell it out. I can come back to this failed democracy thing 10 or 30 years from now when there are still idiots walking this earth trying to get religious zealots the world passed by 100 years ago to get along together.

The only thing left to see is how much money and resources you want to waste throwing out concrete reality to chase idealistic utopia.

Militant Birther
Tokens
Marco said:
And for Joe: "How the Israel/Palestine issue a righty thing -- or for that matter, remotely within anyone's control?"

Wasn't blaming Is/Pal on the righty's, only blame them if they think they can change the future from what history has shown the last decades....there will be plenty of politicians from both parties with their head up their asses thinking about peace in the ME.....and Iraq, exactly. Not remotely within anyone's control.

I didn't really have to spell it out. I can come back to this failed democracy thing 10 or 30 years from now when there are still idiots walking this earth trying to get religious zealots the world passed by 100 years ago to get along together.

The only thing left to see is how much money and resources you want to waste throwing out concrete reality to chase idealistic utopia.

Marco, folks like you actually believe we have a choice in the matter.

They want us all dead. Leaving the extremists to grow in strength, allowing them to overthrow all the moderate governments in the ME, would guarantee a future nuclear 9/11. One would have to be deaf, blind and dumb, not to take this death cult at it's word.

Tokens
Joe Contrarian said:
Marco, folks like you actually believe we have a choice in the matter.

They want us all dead. Leaving the extremists to grow in strength, allowing them to overthrow all the moderate governments in the ME, would guarantee a future nuclear 9/11. One would have to be deaf, blind and dumb, not to take this death cult at it's word.

Those extremists were not Iraqis by and large. They were Pakistanis, Saudis, Afghans, Jordanians, you name it. Of course now the terrorists are expanding in the Middle East faster than Starbucks coffee in the 90's. Bush is to Middle East terrorism what Starbucks was to a $3.50 capuccino.

Militant Birther
Tokens
D2bets said:
Those extremists were not Iraqis by and large. They were Pakistanis, Saudis, Afghans, Jordanians, you name it. Of course now the terrorists are expanding in the Middle East faster than Starbucks coffee in the 90's. Bush is to Middle East terrorism what Starbucks was to a $3.50 capuccino.

Terrorists are expanding in the Middle East, says D2. Do you have proof? Or are you quoting some high intellectual elite? Either way, it's theory. What isn't theory is how many we are killing and capturing.

As if they weren't "expanding" becoming more bold by the day, right under Clinton's watch. The time to isolate "Al-Qaida" as the Democrats are now calling for, was all through the 90s when 20,000+ terrorists quietly made their way through the training camps in Afghanistan unscathed. After 9/11, they scattered like rats -- everywhere. Now Jihad has spread and become a global movement and everyone who stands for freedom are forced to confront and defeat them on many fronts. Iraq won't be the final stop over, I can assure you.

Way to go, Bubba! :103631605

bushman
Tokens
That was probably the plan from the start.

Encase the USA in concrete boots slap bang in the middle of the ME for as long as possible.

Mel Gibson will help you figure out the main beneficiary.
icon10.gif

Handicapper
Tokens
Marco said:
Willie thinks the violence in Iraq is being overblown, when in fact suicide bombers are wiping people out on a regular basis dozens at a time. I'm comparing this attempt in Iraq with Israel/Palestine trying to push each other into the Med sea for 6 decades and easily see a comparable ending in the outcome of Iraq.
------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The violence is being overblown and distorted and decidely one sided. I've given my reasons, I'm speaking the words of servicemen on the ground, Iraqis living in Iraq & citing results of a BBC poll of the Iraqi people. It is a war, and there will be violence, but there is also optimism, a democracy & an Iraqi government getting stronger every day while the infrastructure and schools are being built / rebuilt. And guess what Marco, there will be more violence.

Your words from a previous post enlarged above have a much different meaning then your attempted rewrite of the meaning of those words. You absolutely implied we're wrong about "staying the course in Iraq just as we are wrong about staying the course in Israel". But when you can vote for while being against it, I guess anything is possible. When you can approve the war and the removal of Sadamn and believed he had WMD and said as much from 1992 through 2002, but now claim it's all because W lied to you, anything is possible.

We can only agree to disagree and let time do it's thing. Based on historical results, I like the chances of Democracy taking hold in Iraq. The PLO under Arafat never wanted peace, they existed and were financed to wage war on Israel. The Iraqi people want their own government and they want peace, there is a world of difference and your analogy is.........., just way out in left field.

I can only hope that you hope you are wrong, but truthfully, I think you hope you're right.
:pucking:

Banned
Tokens
Willie99 said:
The "local news" does not report what I believe.

How nice not to address one fucking issue in the post, but just pull a "happier" under Sadamn comment from out in left field. I guess it's foggy today.

People that graze on hay shouldn't start fires, all the ninety percenters belong to leftie special interests or leftie voting blocks. Another swing and miss.

This country's biggest problem is not puppets, it's the looney left wackos. You see, the puppets you refer to raise their families together, pay the most taxes, create the most jobs, live in the burbs, know who are enemies are and vote on election day. We don't need no special incentives to vote, or a phone call to remind us to vote, or a fucking van to pick us up.

The rich white people of America don't have any problems with less freedoms and privliges to the rich because your a robot living the way they tell you to live. It is so funny that you brag about paying the most taxes and then you cry about terrorists. Your tax dollars support terrorists, and I'm not just talking about your wonderful government. I'm also talking about the money that your government has given to people YOU consider terrorists. What about the $30+ million dollars the US government gave to the Taliban to make up for the countries loss of wages after the poppy feilds were taken away? (I'd like to mention now that the US is in control of Afganastan those poppy fields are back. That means more heroin for the American streets, yeah. You don't need van pick ups because rich white areas have a polling station every damn block while poor areas (where less people own cars mind you) have less polling stations. You say the rich create jobs, no, the rich abuse the poor, give them unliveable wages while they pad thier bank accounts off of the sweat of the poor. That is why CEOs make an average of $400 to every $1 the employee makes. I like how mature "rich white suberban america" is. "People who graze on grass should not start fires" Wow, what a fucking 4th grade statement. You are not up to my level so you don't want a debate with me, I'll school your sorry ass. Here, counter any of these.

The human digestive track is rough and elongated opposed to an omnivores which is smooth and short.

Stomach acidity:

<TABLE id=nhd cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Carnivore </TD><TD>Less than or equal to pH of 1 with food in stomach </TD></TR><TR><TD>Omnivore </TD><TD>Less than or equal to pH of 1 with food in stomach </TD></TR><TR><TD>Herbivore </TD><TD>pH of 4 to 5 with food in stomach </TD></TR><TR><TD>Human </TD><TD>pH of 4 to 5 with food in stomach

Saliva:

<TABLE id=nhd cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Carnivore</TD><TD>No digestive enzymes </TD></TR><TR><TD>Omnivore </TD><TD>No digestive enzymes </TD></TR><TR><TD>Herbivore </TD><TD>Carbohydrate-digesting enzymes </TD></TR><TR><TD>Human </TD><TD>Carbohydrate-digesting enzymes </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nails:

<TABLE id=nhd cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Carnivore </TD><TD>Sharp claws </TD></TR><TR><TD>Omnivore </TD><TD>Sharp claws </TD></TR><TR><TD>Herbivore </TD><TD>Flattened nails or blunt hooves </TD></TR><TR><TD>Human </TD><TD>Flattened nails </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Chewing:

<TABLE id=nhd cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Carnivore </TD><TD>None; swallows food whole </TD></TR><TR><TD>Omnivore </TD><TD>Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing </TD></TR><TR><TD>Herbivore </TD><TD>Extensive chewing necessary </TD></TR><TR><TD>Human </TD><TD>Extensive chewing necessary </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

On top of these little scientific facts here are a couple more.

Omnivores do not need to cook their food, we have to cook meat to eat it.

Omnivores are not effected by cholesteral

Omnivores do not need fiber.

Just try to counter anything said, you can't. Your going to be lucky enough to be able to read this, when your a puppet you don't need to read, your just told what to say, do and think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com