high school game

Search

RX Senior
Tokens
if anyone wants a cheap thrill middle tonight there is some high school game lined at 3.5 at greek and 7 at 5dimes. $100 limit at 5d.

Tokens
Tonight's match-up between the Armwood and Jefferson high school football teams will be like no other game the athletes will play this year.
Instead of playing before the usual crowd of family and fans, this gridiron drama will unfold in front of a national audience as it is broadcast live on ESPN's college sports network.
For players, the game is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to shine for a national audience, including a host of college recruiters looking for the latest talent.
"It's gives tremendous recognition for Hillsborough County," said Vernon Korhn, athletic director for Hillsborough County schools. "I can't think of anything negative about this."
While local players and fans relish the flash of fame, sports sociology experts warn the increasing commercialization of high school athletics could ultimately corrupt prep sports.
Experts are concerned that schools' desire to be showcased nationally will invite the same kind of problems that plague college athletics, such as illegal recruiting, steroid use by players and cheating scandals. They worry that teams will begin to leverage national television appearances to woo the best junior high school athletes and corporate sponsors to pay for new gear, workout facilities and even stadiums.
"Everybody wants to be on TV," said Bob Bigelow, a former National Basketball Association player who has become an expert on youth sports. But eventually a few high school dynasties will dominate the airwaves, leaving other teams desperate for a shot at the national spotlight, he said.
"The question is: What will they do to cheat to get to that level?" he said Thursday.
ESPN's recent interest in prep football is not the first sign that times are changing in high school athletics. The USA Today newspaper has begun to rank high school football teams, and more teams than ever are leaving their home fields to play tournaments in far-off states.
On Thursday, Lakeland High's football team boarded a 141-seat private jet bound for Cincinnati to play in the second annual McDonald's Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge. The Lakeland Dreadnaughts, ranked No. 3 by USA Today, will play against No. 8 St. Xavier High, Ohio's 2005 Division I state champions.
Bill Castle, Lakeland High School's football coach, said the attention by ESPN and USA Today have thrust the local football programs to the national prominence they deserve.
But Castle is starting to see that national recognition also brings increased pressure. He described the tournament as "going into an ambush."
"The problem is the distraction of all this," he said. "It's almost like playing in a state championship game. Everybody wants this and that. I'm behind trying to get focused on my game plan."
Less Emphasis On Educational Values

David Shields, an associate professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis and an expert on youth sports, said high school athletics have moved away from being grounded in educational values. The growing influence of national television exposure and corporate money puts more pressure on coaches to field winning teams that justify the investment, he said.
The Florida High School Athletic Association conducted an investigation into adults attending Immokalee High School and playing on its athletic teams. The penalties could result in Immokalee being stripped of its 2004 state football title. Earlier this year, three adults - ages 30, 23 and 20 - were discovered attending Immokalee and playing on sports teams, according to the Naples Daily News.
Shields said he fears that students of high school age are not equipped to deal with the fame - or shame - that can come with national exposure. The result can be increased use of drugs or alcohol, early sexual activity and more widespread use of steroids.
"You can't just play to have fun anymore," Shields said.
ESPN spokeswoman Tilea Coleman said the network has not lost sight of the fact the players are youngsters. "It's just a way to showcase players that you might soon see at the collegiate level," she said. But she said the main reason to broadcast the games is for college recruiters looking to find the latest talent.
Renowned college recruiter Tom Luginbill will dissect every touchdown and interception of tonight's Armwood-Jefferson game, highlighting the athletes who demonstrate the best potential.
In the game, for instance, viewers will see how Armwood, which has won two of the last three Class 4A state championships, fares against Jefferson senior quarterback Stephen Garcia. He is regarded as one of the nation's top college prospects, and is considering scholarship offers from South Carolina, Florida and Auburn.
"This is nothing we've ever experienced before," said Mike Fenton, Jefferson's coach. "We've had conversations about how they need to handle being on television. Everything they do will be televised, including people just standing on the sidelines. You can't even afford to pick your nose because somebody might see it."
Web sites devoted to college recruiting have largely fueled interest in broadcasting high school football games, and cable television channels see the games as a key chance to develop niche programming.
ESPN will broadcast 13 games this year on its networks, up from three last year.
Perhaps the most defining moment in broadcasting high school sports came in 2002, when ESPN2 televised LeBron James playing in a high school basketball tournament. The program drew about 2 million viewers, at the time the network's best rating in nearly two years.
In August, about 700,000 people tuned in to watch ESPN's opening game of this season's football series, which featured Florida's Glades Central versus Byrnes of South Carolina.
Football As Reality Show

Even MTV has taken an interest in prep football. The network created the reality show called "Two-a -Days," which chronicles Alabama's Hoover High School football team's fight for its fourth state championship in five years.
Several youth athletic experts say the interest in broadcasting games is merely the latest chapter in a trend toward commercializing high school athletics. Sports business analysts say that companies spend more than $10 million a year sponsoring high school sports.
Old Spice and Nike have sponsored ESPN's high school football broadcasts, for instance.
Companies aren't just interested in paying for programming. Blue Cross and Blue Shield sponsors a Tennessee prep football game, and Shop- Rite has sponsored a gymnasium in New Jersey. Sports apparel and shoe makers Nike and Adidas have long sponsored high school basketball teams that sent players to the pros.
For now, ESPN does not pay the teams it is broadcasting. That could soon change, though.
In Southern California, Fox Sports Net cut a deal to pay schools for exclusive broadcast rights to local games. Schools that play in televised games are expected to split $1,500 to $2,000 for each appearance.
Armwood football coach Sean Callahan does not believe the team's televised game will sully the purity of high school sports.
"We're at the point when we're ready to leave this area and play teams out of state," he said. "It's not to say we're bored with being ranked as the best team in the state, but the opportunity to be known nationally is something that can keep us hungry."
Reporter Baird Helgeson can be reached at [EMAIL="bhelgeson@tampatrib.com"]bhelgeson@tampatrib.com[/EMAIL]or (813) 259-7668. Reporter Anwar S. Richardson can be reached at arichardson
@tampatrib.com. or 813) 259-8425.

Players To Watch

Jamiel Smith, Armwood, linebacker
Smith leads a defensive unit that has given up only 12 points in three games, which is much like the Hawks' previous championship teams. It will be Smith's responsibility to focus on Garcia, and prevent him from having a career night.
Stephen Garcia, Jefferson, quarterback
One of the best quarterbacks in the nation, Garcia has speed, arm strength and size, but hasn't beaten Armwood. Garcia is a dual-threat quarterback who has to be accounted for on every play, and the team's success ultimately lies on his shoulders.
Tyler Hardin, Jefferson,
defensive lineman
Last season, Hardin was an unknown player at Sickles. Now he is the leading tackler on Jefferson's defense. If Hardin and fellow lineman Demarcus Cleveland can slow down Armwood's running game, the Dragons have a chance to pull off an upset.

Quotables

"This is even bigger than our state championship game. I was a sophomore then, and I still thought I had two more years, and I did. This game will be nationally televised and it's going to be the biggest game of my life, easily … All we want to do is beat Armwood. It's the one thing I want to do before I graduate."
- Jefferson quarterback Stephen Garcia
"Everyone knows they are the big dogs in town, and it's been that way the past few years. It's always a challenge, and every year we feel like we can match up with them. I feel extremely so this year. Bottom line, we have to go out there and execute, and do the things we coach these kids to do all week long, and if that happens, maybe some good things will come our way."
- Jefferson coach Mike Fenton
"This is definitely the biggest game of my life. I want to show them I can play with them. Show them Jefferson can play with them. … We go into every game respecting every team, and we never come short. It's just another game, a game we need to win."
- Jefferson defensive lineman Tyler Hardin
"We work real hard against Jefferson, just like we do Hillsborough. They are a real tough opponent we face in Hillsborough County. We've played 44 games in three years before this season began. We're used to playing good teams with good quarterbacks, like Alwan Lee [Booker T. Washington], Tim Tebow [Nease] and Jarred Fayson [Hillsborough High]. We've played Stephen Garcia twice, and we put him in that same class, and that excites us a little bit."
- Armwood coach Sean Callahan
"Garcia is the best quarterback in the country to me. You can't show him one defense. You've got to play with him. You've got make him throw the ball … When we beat up the sorry teams around here, a lot of people think we're just beating them and don't have a good team, but when we beat somebody really good, it makes a statement." - Armwood linebacker Jamiel Smith
"I don't really see this [game] as a challenge. I see it as another game. In the previous years, we played them and beat them like they were another team. I don't think this as a real rivalry game. I think they are a good team, and they have a good quarterback. They have good threats on offense and defense, but we haven't lost to them in a while."
- Armwood lineman Torrey Davis

For The Record

RECORD WATCH:
•Jefferson quarterback Stephen Garcia has 5,942 yards passing, which is 1,544 yards behind Hillsborough County all-time passing leader Kenny Kelly (7,486).
•Plant quarterback Robert Marve needs two touchdown passes to reach 30 for his career.
•Armwood has a four-game winning streak against Jefferson.
•From 2002 through 2004, games between East Bay and Chamberlain were decided by a total of 10 points.
•Alonso holds a four-game winning streak against Leto.

Tokens
Players To Watch

Jamiel Smith, Armwood, linebacker

Smith leads a defensive unit that has given up only 12 points in three games, which is much like the Hawks' previous championship teams. It will be Smith's responsibility to focus on Garcia, and prevent him from having a career night.
Stephen Garcia, Jefferson, quarterback
One of the best quarterbacks in the nation, Garcia has speed, arm strength and size, but hasn't beaten Armwood. Garcia is a dual-threat quarterback who has to be accounted for on every play, and the team's success ultimately lies on his shoulders.
Tyler Hardin, Jefferson,
defensive lineman
Last season, Hardin was an unknown player at Sickles. Now he is the leading tackler on Jefferson's defense. If Hardin and fellow lineman Demarcus Cleveland can slow down Armwood's running game, the Dragons have a chance to pull off an upset.

Quotables

"This is even bigger than our state championship game. I was a sophomore then, and I still thought I had two more years, and I did. This game will be nationally televised and it's going to be the biggest game of my life, easily … All we want to do is beat Armwood. It's the one thing I want to do before I graduate."
- Jefferson quarterback Stephen Garcia
"Everyone knows they are the big dogs in town, and it's been that way the past few years. It's always a challenge, and every year we feel like we can match up with them. I feel extremely so this year. Bottom line, we have to go out there and execute, and do the things we coach these kids to do all week long, and if that happens, maybe some good things will come our way."
- Jefferson coach Mike Fenton
"This is definitely the biggest game of my life. I want to show them I can play with them. Show them Jefferson can play with them. … We go into every game respecting every team, and we never come short. It's just another game, a game we need to win."
- Jefferson defensive lineman Tyler Hardin
"We work real hard against Jefferson, just like we do Hillsborough. They are a real tough opponent we face in Hillsborough County. We've played 44 games in three years before this season began. We're used to playing good teams with good quarterbacks, like Alwan Lee [Booker T. Washington], Tim Tebow [Nease] and Jarred Fayson [Hillsborough High]. We've played Stephen Garcia twice, and we put him in that same class, and that excites us a little bit."
- Armwood coach Sean Callahan
"Garcia is the best quarterback in the country to me. You can't show him one defense. You've got to play with him. You've got make him throw the ball … When we beat up the sorry teams around here, a lot of people think we're just beating them and don't have a good team, but when we beat somebody really good, it makes a statement." - Armwood linebacker Jamiel Smith
"I don't really see this [game] as a challenge. I see it as another game. In the previous years, we played them and beat them like they were another team. I don't think this as a real rivalry game. I think they are a good team, and they have a good quarterback. They have good threats on offense and defense, but we haven't lost to them in a while."
- Armwood lineman Torrey Davis

For The Record

RECORD WATCH:
•Jefferson quarterback Stephen Garcia has 5,942 yards passing, which is 1,544 yards behind Hillsborough County all-time passing leader Kenny Kelly (7,486).
•Plant quarterback Robert Marve needs two touchdown passes to reach 30 for his career.
•Armwood has a four-game winning streak against Jefferson.
•From 2002 through 2004, games between East Bay and Chamberlain were decided by a total of 10 points.
•Alonso holds a four-game winning streak against Leto

Tokens
On Thursday, Lakeland, FL. High's football team boarded a 141-seat private jet bound for Cincinnati to play in the second annual McDonald's Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge. The Lakeland Dreadnaughts, ranked No. 3 by USA Today, will play against No. 8 St. Xavier High, Ohio's 2005 Division I state champions.

Lakeland and Armwood are less than 40 miles from one another here in the TAMPA area.

Watch out for WHARTON HIGH in NEW TAMPA..........the team is undefeated and feature a great tandem of Linebackers all possibly headed to Div-1 schools.

Tokens
McDonald's Kirk Herbstreit Ohio: I am a huge college football fan but before he replaced Craig James I had never heard of this guy, now he has a game named after him.
I'd rather see Betmania's Art Schlister Ohio Team.

WVU

Tokens
the amount of information available is amazing.

stop scaring me

Respect My Steez
Tokens
Lakeland-St Xavier will be outstanding. Cincinnati is possibly the best high school football city in America in terms of quality of play. Lakeland will have the athletic edge but I think St X pulls out a close one

The Great Govenor of California
Tokens
I dont think middles should be posted, thats just me.

Tokens
Railbird said:
I dont think middles should be posted, thats just me.

I am NOT disagreeing with you and have not thought about my opinion on this matter.... but why do you feel this way?

UF. Champion U.
Tokens
i live in tampa

there is a kid on armwood...defensive back that only has 1 arm, and he started a few games apparently

whole story on the news about him...

i dont think he is starting tonight against stephene garcia, who is one of the top QB recruits in the nation, that i think will be scooped up by Spurrier

"Calling All The Shots"
Handicapper
Tokens
Box

Here In Columbia.........Alot of Talk About GARCIA!
Yeah...SPURRIER Loves This Kid!
That's When People Can Truly Judge SPURRIER..after he recruits one of his own to play QB...Right now he's still playing w/ HOLTZ' JUNK!

SC Will Be Really Good In A Few Years!

MR. NW

RX Senior
Tokens
olympic graded it a winner, 5dimes a push. I dont know the score. but looks like favorite by 7 and this middle was a free $100 for those who got in on it. :aktion033

www.youtubecom/hubbardsmusic
Tokens
SEFFNER - Armwood's football team can rightfully claim No. 5 when it comes to Jefferson.
Five is the number of consecutive wins Armwood (4-0) currently has against Jefferson (3-1). The Hawks dismantled their opponent in four prior meetings, but squeezed by with a 13-6 victory that was nationally televised on ESPNU on Friday night.
The Hawks can also say they have Jefferson quarterback Stephen Garcia's number, which is No. 5. Garcia is touted as one of the best quarterbacks in the nation, but recorded his third consecutive loss against the Hawks, and has never defeated or thrown a touchdown against them.
"We couldn't find the end zone … it speaks for itself. You can't not score against these guys. You have to do it to win," Garcia said.
Garcia gave his best effort, completing 21 of 33 passes for 195 yards and one interception, but his offensive line provided little protection and gave up six sacks, while the Dragons only generated 38 rushing yards.
"When you can't run the ball, it's going to make it really tough to throw the ball against us. If you're throwing the ball the whole night against us, you're not intimidating us. We're coming hard at you the whole time," Armwood coach Sean Callahan said. "We wanted them to throw the ball on every down. We know once you're inside of that 20-yard line, it's going to be tougher for Stephen to throw the ball."
Jefferson's biggest difficulty was taking advantage of scoring opportunities.
The Dragons had possession within their opponent's red zone three times, but only managed three points, plus they could not take advantage of three turnovers - two interceptions and one fumble.
"What can I say? We shot ourselves in the foot, and these are the things we're going to have to clean up. You get into big games like this, and these things happen," Jefferson coach Mike Fenton said.
What did not happen was Jefferson taking advantage of its chances.
In the first quarter, Jefferson took over on the 50-yard line and Garcia marched his team down to the 17-yard line. Garcia then completed a pass to tight end Byron McLeod, but a hit by Armwood linebacker Jamiel Smith caused a fumble, and the Hawks recovered, ending that threat.
After Jefferson linebacker Cedric Mills recovered a fumble by Armwood running back Deandre Kyles on the Hawks' 25-yard line, the Dragons advanced to the 4. On fourth-and-3, Jefferson elected to play it safe and Tito Zumbado kicked a 21-yard field goal, giving the Dragons a 3-0 first-quarter lead.
Garcia wanted to attempt a first-down conversion, but understood why coaches took the safe route.
"We wanted to send a message to them, but points are points. I [would've] much rather had the touchdown because we could have used it, but points are points," Garcia said.
And Armwood proved it had the ability to score more points than Jefferson when Kyles redeemed himself for the earlier fumble and took the ensuing kickoff back 97 yards for a touchdown, putting his team ahead, 7-3, and deflating the Dragons.
On the Hawks' ensuing possession, quarterback Justin Hickman scored on a 3-yard touchdown run, and though the kick was blocked, Armwood took a 13-6 lead into halftime.
"It was game of big plays. The kickoff return was a big one, and the fumble we had early in the game was crucial," Fenton said.
Jefferson's final missed opportunity occurred in the fourth quarter when the Dragons had possession on the Hawks' 3-yard line with six minutes remaining. Garcia attempted a pass into the end zone on second-and-goal, but threw into double coverage and it was intercepted by defensive back Angelo Hadley.
The Dragons tried to redeem themselves on their final possession, but Garcia was sacked twice for 9- and 12-yard losses, ending their bid for an upset.
"I don't think he [Stephen] should hang his head. Last year, he came close, and he came closer this time," said Armwood defensive end Torrey Davis, who had three sacks. "They have good coaching over there [at Jefferson] just like us, but we were able to pull off the win. A win is a win, and even if it was only 2-0, we take a win."
<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Jefferson</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>-</TD><TD align=right>6</TD></TR><TR><TD>Armwood</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>-</TD><TD align=right>13</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tokens
Always sweet when one middles a high school football game.

Congrats to all!

Thanks Mr. Smith

As Above, So Below
Tokens
Railbird said:
I took JEfferson +7.5 at 5dimes

Where are these listed at 5dimes? I was looking for a Carroll line the other night and didn't find one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com