Coughlin Gets Extension

Search

I think I want my money back!
Tokens
CALDWELL, N.J. (AP) - An embattled Tom Coughlin was given another year to coach the New York Giants on Wednesday after he convinced owners he can make Eli Manning a better quarterback and the team a winner.

<TABLE class=emailBoothFields style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=205 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"He has a vision and he understands how that vision can now move forward," co-owner Jonathan Tisch said during a conference call to announce Coughlin's one-year contract extension. "He did not have to save his job. He did not have to talk us into anything."
Coughlin, 60, seemingly was on the hot seat after weathering a disappointing 8-8 regular season, fan and player unrest and a second straight first-round loss in the playoffs on Sunday.
In the two days that followed, Tisch and fellow co-owner John Mara talked football and coaching philosophy with Coughlin, who had a year left on the deal he signed in 2004.
The owners didn't ask Coughlin to make any changes and they said they were satisfied he was the right man to lead the Giants.
"Tom Coughlin is our coach for 2007 and hopefully for many years after that," Mara said. "That is the final decision."
Terms of the one-year extension were not immediately available. Coughlin was to earn $3 million in 2007.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var pollWidth=250;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>if ( typeof(FSFlashTag)=="undefined" || typeof(FSFlashTag.prototype.setSalign)=="undefined" ) { document.write('<scr'+'ipt language="JavaScript1.2" src="/fe/js/lib/javascriptFlash/FSJavaScriptFlashGateway.js" type="text/javascript"></scr'+'ipt>');}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> var userStatus='vote'; // if this poll is the one for which they have answered, show results if (typeof(pollsVoted)!="undefined") { for (var i = 0; i < pollsVoted.length; i++) { if (pollsVoted == 6355362) { var userStatus = 'results'; break; } } } // has to have retry because hitbox code is defered. function hitBoxVote(m,p) { } if (typeof(pollWidth) == "undefined") { var pollWidth = 298; } var pollHeight = 0; if (pollHeight == 0) { pollHeight = Math.max( 0 ,(269 + (2 - 5) * 35) ); } var flashPollQuery='choices=2&questionId=103062&pollId=6355362&cUrl=&userStatus=' + userStatus+'&width='+pollWidth; flashPollQuery+='&bgColor=&fgColor=&bgImage=&bgInvert=false&bgTexture=1'; flashPollQuery+='&choicesTextArray=&resultsLink='; flashPollQuery+='&buttonIndex=1&resultsRenderer=1'; var tag = new FSFlashTag("/fe/swf/poll_generic.swf", pollWidth, pollHeight); // movie path, last two arguments are width and height tag.setScale("noscale"); tag.setSalign("tl"); tag.setVersion("6,0,0,0"); tag.setFlashvars(flashPollQuery); tag.write(document);</SCRIPT>

Coughlin said he appreciated the decision and was not surprised.
"I did not have any feeling I wasn't going to be retained," Coughlin said in a separate conference call.
Many questioned whether Coughlin, who has a 25-25 record with the Giants, was the right coach for a team that faltered a year after winning the NFC East with an 11-5 mark. Despite reports that players were tuning out their no-nonsense coach, Mara said Coughlin still has the respect of the team.
"I don't buy that," Mara said. "I think there is substantial support for him."
Mara would not discuss whether Coughlin would be making changes to his coaching staff. He admitted there were bound to be fans who were not happy with the decision.
"I am certainly sensitive to what the fans think. I have received a lot of mail. But at the end of the day you can't make decisions on what the fans say, but what your eyes tell you and what your experience in the game tells you," Mara said.
Mara said a major part of the interview process was listening to what Coughlin had to say about Manning, and he was satisfied with the answers. Mara would not detail what was said about the former No. 1 draft pick who did not improve in his second full season as a starter.
The Giants started the year with expectations of contending for the Super Bowl. After compiling a 6-2 record, that hope turned into a season of discontent, injuries and a second-half collapse that saw New York lose seven of nine games.
Fans were so upset by the team's performance in a 30-7 home loss to the New Orleans Saints on Dec. 24 that they shouted "Fire Coughlin" before walking out early in the fourth quarter.
The problems started with a 23-0 loss to Carolina in the opening round of the playoffs a year ago. Halfback Tiki Barber said after the game the Giants were outcoached. The halfback and coach settled their differences quickly.
The complaint, however, resurfaced early this season when Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey also said the team was outcoached after a one-sided loss in Seattle.
While it created headlines, the stir was short-lived when New York went on a five-game winning streak to reach the halfway point in first place. A second division title was on the horizon.
Then injuries to receiver Amani Toomer, seven-time Pro Bowler Strahan and offensive tackle Luke Petitgout contributed to the free fall that saw New York lose four of its final seven games despite having the lead or a tie in the fourth quarter.
Coughlin made one move down the stretch, relieving offensive coordinator John Hufnagel after the Saints game and giving quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride the play-calling duties.
Barber carried New York to a playoff berth days later with a team-record 234-yard rushing performance in a win over Washington. It gave New York a .500 record, good enough for the postseason in the weak NFC. The season ended this past Sunday with a last-second 23-20 loss to the Eagles in Philadelphia. Before joining the Giants, Coughlin was Jacksonville's head coach from 1995-2002 and went 72-64.

Stumblin' around, drunk on burgundy wine.
Tokens
The Eagles will win the NFC East 8 out of 10 times this decade.

Here are the ages of some key Eagles:
RB Westbrook 27
G Andrews 24
C Jackson 26
G/T Herrimans 24
(With winston justice 22 and max jean-gilles 23)
WR Reggie Brown 25
WR Baskett 24
WR Stallworth 26
TE LJ Smith 26

Defense:
DE Cole 24
DT Patterson 23
DT Bunkley 23
LB Gaither 22
CB Lito 25
CB Sheldon Brown 26
SS Considine 25
FS Mikell 26

Hoping they draft a safety and LB with their first 2 picks next year.

So much for the window being closed as most Giant and cowboy fans predicted (hoped).

DOMINATION for years to come.

Tokens
WharfRat said:

RB Westbrook 27
G Andrews 24
C Jackson 26
G/T Herrimans 24
WR Reggie Brown 25
WR Baskett 24
WR Stallworth 26
TE LJ Smith 26

Defense:
DE Cole 24
DT Patterson 23
DT Bunkley 23
LB Gaither 22
CB Lito 25
CB Sheldon Brown 26
SS Considine 25
FS Mikell 26

So much for the window being closed as most Giant and cowboy fans predicted (hoped).

Key component there is McNabb's Health. Can he make it through a whole season at this point of his career with the injuries he has accumulated.

Eagles with their backup QB's may need to look into drafting a solid QB prospect to develop.

Tokens
the Giants are making a huge mistake here. Players hate coughlin with a passion

Banned
Tokens
The Giants biggest problem, they have no speed on offense, especially now that Barber is gone...they NEED a faster WR or THREE!

They don't get open period....when your best play is a jump ball to to Plexiglass you know you got problems...injuries did play a part in this but they need a burner on the outside! I would think they try and grab one of these WR s coming out.

Banned
Tokens
Well

WharfRat said:

RB Westbrook 27
G Andrews 24
C Jackson 26
G/T Herrimans 24
WR Reggie Brown 25
WR Baskett 24
WR Stallworth 26
TE LJ Smith 26

Defense:
DE Cole 24
DT Patterson 23
DT Bunkley 23
LB Gaither 22
CB Lito 25
CB Sheldon Brown 26
SS Considine 25
FS Mikell 26

Go back and see how much longer each one has on their contract. And you are forgetting a major one, McNabb. I honestly do not think he will be around for more than 2 years, and if they dont start looking for a rookie qb in that time. No way 8 times in 10 years. The Eagles live and die by the qb up to this year. Remember Pat Ryan playing one time many moons ago.

Banned
Tokens
Next

2PLAYSMAX said:
Key component there is McNabb's Health. Can he make it through a whole season at this point of his career with the injuries he has accumulated.

Eagles with their backup QB's may need to look into drafting a solid QB prospect to develop.

Next time I should read more before I post, my thoughts exactly.:103631605

Stumblin' around, drunk on burgundy wine.
Tokens
ILMW said:
Go back and see how much longer each one has on their contract. And you are forgetting a major one, McNabb. I honestly do not think he will be around for more than 2 years, and if they dont start looking for a rookie qb in that time. No way 8 times in 10 years. The Eagles live and die by the qb up to this year. Remember Pat Ryan playing one time many moons ago.

Everyone on my list is locked up for at least 4 more years except:
Stallworth - I think they'll resign him though
LJ Smith
Considine
Mikell

The Birds have one of the best Front Offices in the game. Although I think the Giants FO may get a bit better because Ernie Accorsi is one of the biggest frauds in football.

Tokens
From the articles here, the players can't stand him. He seems like a coach whose military antics can be successful in the college game, not in the spoiled brat league. One of the primary reasons he was retained was beause of the weak pool of coaches who are looking for a head position. Giants will start out hot and then fizzle out as always next season.

Tokens
They wont even be able to call it a hot seat he will be on at the beginning of the season.

Nitro would be more like it.

Rx Realist
Tokens
Eh, actually this doesnt really bother me because next year may be a rebuilding season anyway. Basically the key here to their success is who the GM that comes in will be and who replaces Tiki (and maybe Toomer and Strahan).

WharfRat said:

Wharf trust me the NFC East is never a lock and you should know better to even think that. BTW, get that 1st Super Bowl then talk about some sort of domination. *tounge in cheek*

People in this thread questioning the Jints retaining Coughlin and the worst coach in the NFC East doesnt even get talked about his ineptness (Gibbs). Now THAT guy is really clueless.

Tokens
Coughlin and Eli will not have any success together in NY.

They would both be better off without the other.

Tokens
ILMW said:

If anything has been proven this year it is that the Eagles DON'T live and die by the QB at all. In fact it looks like anybody can QB this team and they will win. That's why everyone thought McNabb was this good. Nobody understood it was not McNabb getting the Eagles to be winners, but it the other way around! The Eagles made McNabb a winning QB!

Tokens
WharfRat said:

RB Westbrook 27
G Andrews 24
C Jackson 26
G/T Herrimans 24
WR Reggie Brown 25
WR Baskett 24
WR Stallworth 26
TE LJ Smith 26

Defense:
DE Cole 24
DT Patterson 23
DT Bunkley 23
LB Gaither 22
CB Lito 25
CB Sheldon Brown 26
SS Considine 25
FS Mikell 26

I love it. And I though Andy Reid was going to be totally outclassed when they brought Coughlin (joke), Gibbs (great coach, but past his prime), and Parcells (keep going for it on 4th down you arrogant ass, and what's up with that FUPA) into the NFC East. Cheers!
:toast:

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.
Tokens
WharfRat said:

RB Westbrook 27
G Andrews 24
C Jackson 26
G/T Herrimans 24
WR Reggie Brown 25
WR Baskett 24
WR Stallworth 26
TE LJ Smith 26

Defense:
DE Cole 24
DT Patterson 23
DT Bunkley 23
LB Gaither 22
CB Lito 25
CB Sheldon Brown 26
SS Considine 25
FS Mikell 26

True, but Westbrookes knees are going to be completely shot in another 2 years and he will be forced out very early. Then you got Mcnabb also to wondr about.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.
Tokens
2PLAYSMAX said:
CALDWELL, N.J. (AP) - An embattled Tom Coughlin was given another year to coach the New York Giants on Wednesday after he convinced owners he can make Eli Manning a better quarterback and the team a winner.

<TABLE class=emailBoothFields style="BORDER-RIGHT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #b3b3b3 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=205 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"He has a vision and he understands how that vision can now move forward," co-owner Jonathan Tisch said during a conference call to announce Coughlin's one-year contract extension. "He did not have to save his job. He did not have to talk us into anything."
Coughlin, 60, seemingly was on the hot seat after weathering a disappointing 8-8 regular season, fan and player unrest and a second straight first-round loss in the playoffs on Sunday.
In the two days that followed, Tisch and fellow co-owner John Mara talked football and coaching philosophy with Coughlin, who had a year left on the deal he signed in 2004.
The owners didn't ask Coughlin to make any changes and they said they were satisfied he was the right man to lead the Giants.
"Tom Coughlin is our coach for 2007 and hopefully for many years after that," Mara said. "That is the final decision."
Terms of the one-year extension were not immediately available. Coughlin was to earn $3 million in 2007.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var pollWidth=250;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>if ( typeof(FSFlashTag)=="undefined" || typeof(FSFlashTag.prototype.setSalign)=="undefined" ) { document.write('<scr'+'ipt language="JavaScript1.2" src="/fe/js/lib/javascriptFlash/FSJavaScriptFlashGateway.js" type="text/javascript"></scr'+'ipt>');}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> var userStatus='vote'; // if this poll is the one for which they have answered, show results if (typeof(pollsVoted)!="undefined") { for (var i = 0; i < pollsVoted.length; i++) { if (pollsVoted == 6355362) { var userStatus = 'results'; break; } } } // has to have retry because hitbox code is defered. function hitBoxVote(m,p) { } if (typeof(pollWidth) == "undefined") { var pollWidth = 298; } var pollHeight = 0; if (pollHeight == 0) { pollHeight = Math.max( 0 ,(269 + (2 - 5) * 35) ); } var flashPollQuery='choices=2&questionId=103062&pollId=6355362&cUrl=&userStatus=' + userStatus+'&width='+pollWidth; flashPollQuery+='&bgColor=&fgColor=&bgImage=&bgInvert=false&bgTexture=1'; flashPollQuery+='&choicesTextArray=&resultsLink='; flashPollQuery+='&buttonIndex=1&resultsRenderer=1'; var tag = new FSFlashTag("/fe/swf/poll_generic.swf", pollWidth, pollHeight); // movie path, last two arguments are width and height tag.setScale("noscale"); tag.setSalign("tl"); tag.setVersion("6,0,0,0"); tag.setFlashvars(flashPollQuery); tag.write(document);</SCRIPT>

Coughlin said he appreciated the decision and was not surprised.
"I did not have any feeling I wasn't going to be retained," Coughlin said in a separate conference call.
Many questioned whether Coughlin, who has a 25-25 record with the Giants, was the right coach for a team that faltered a year after winning the NFC East with an 11-5 mark. Despite reports that players were tuning out their no-nonsense coach, Mara said Coughlin still has the respect of the team.
"I don't buy that," Mara said. "I think there is substantial support for him."
Mara would not discuss whether Coughlin would be making changes to his coaching staff. He admitted there were bound to be fans who were not happy with the decision.
"I am certainly sensitive to what the fans think. I have received a lot of mail. But at the end of the day you can't make decisions on what the fans say, but what your eyes tell you and what your experience in the game tells you," Mara said.
Mara said a major part of the interview process was listening to what Coughlin had to say about Manning, and he was satisfied with the answers. Mara would not detail what was said about the former No. 1 draft pick who did not improve in his second full season as a starter.
The Giants started the year with expectations of contending for the Super Bowl. After compiling a 6-2 record, that hope turned into a season of discontent, injuries and a second-half collapse that saw New York lose seven of nine games.
Fans were so upset by the team's performance in a 30-7 home loss to the New Orleans Saints on Dec. 24 that they shouted "Fire Coughlin" before walking out early in the fourth quarter.
The problems started with a 23-0 loss to Carolina in the opening round of the playoffs a year ago. Halfback Tiki Barber said after the game the Giants were outcoached. The halfback and coach settled their differences quickly.
The complaint, however, resurfaced early this season when Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey also said the team was outcoached after a one-sided loss in Seattle.
While it created headlines, the stir was short-lived when New York went on a five-game winning streak to reach the halfway point in first place. A second division title was on the horizon.
Then injuries to receiver Amani Toomer, seven-time Pro Bowler Strahan and offensive tackle Luke Petitgout contributed to the free fall that saw New York lose four of its final seven games despite having the lead or a tie in the fourth quarter.
Coughlin made one move down the stretch, relieving offensive coordinator John Hufnagel after the Saints game and giving quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride the play-calling duties.
Barber carried New York to a playoff berth days later with a team-record 234-yard rushing performance in a win over Washington. It gave New York a .500 record, good enough for the postseason in the weak NFC. The season ended this past Sunday with a last-second 23-20 loss to the Eagles in Philadelphia. Before joining the Giants, Coughlin was Jacksonville's head coach from 1995-2002 and went 72-64.

COUGHLIN IS A CLOWN!!!!!!:fatboy: :fatboy: :fatboy: :fatboy: :fatboy: :fatboy: :fatboy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyPoi
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com