Forum: Classic Threads From The Past - Visit here for a great "blast from the past" and view some terrific, informative and interesting "Classic Threads" posted by thousands of savvy sportsbettors over the years here at The Rx.com.....

Thread: can u really make a LIving SPORTS GAMBLING ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RX Senior
    About 35% of my profits come from bonuses.
    About 50% comes from straight bets
    About 10% from parlays
    About 5% from teasers.
    The bonuses are decreasing some anually, but that's a pretty good break down.

For straight bets, I bet NFL, CFB, CBB, NBA, and MLB. The majority of my profits are from football and baseball. Baseball, I just bet every away dog. I bet about 40% full games and 60% halves and quarters. I bet far more straight bets than money lines. Before the neteller mess, I used 40-50 books and a good live lines program. Probably 10% of my plays were based on my capping or the capping of others. 90% were on good lines or beating line moves. Once I reup in April or May I assume I will used about 30 books.

I have never placed a Nascar bet. I would like to bet golf - following tour-tips, but most their bets are at non - US books. How convenient now

As for parlays, most are CFB correlated parlays. When I can I sneak in soccer correlated parlays. I've laid off hockey this year with the new rules last year and the goaltending rules this year. I will reevaluate at the end of the season. Of course there are other correlations at the end of seasons when one team needs another to win or lose. I also grab some quarter parlays that are very correlated in FB when I can find them and for a while I was playing O1st Q, U2Q and vice versa (NO longer available). In the past 8 years, I've probably watched 10-15 good parlay types get blocked at various books. CBB also has some good correlations. Very hard for Georgetown to beat belmont by 18, but stay under 120 (Bad example, but anyways...)

As for teasers, I play BS ones and some 10 pt ones that are +EV.

>>>>>>I am thinking Sean that you do not bet team A vs. team B most of the time.....got a hunch you are a major player with props and moneylines....am I right?? And maybe other sports such as golf, NASCAR, and European sports are the ones that you deal with....

-Sean

Scibig123....grew up in Linwood and went to Mainland Regional...lived in Pleasantville, Absecon, and Oceanville during my youth...will look you up when I am home...I will contact you later this week and give you my e-mail...

Sean...thanks for the breakdown, very interesting.......I agree that halves and quarters are great bets, especially halftimes because we don't have enough time to put up really solid numbers because of the huge amounts of games that there are....thanks again and continued success....

Ct. USA, home of the 2nd, 3rd, and 106th chance
    I love my job, I love my poker and sports betting.
    Poker and Sports Betting doesn't give you health insurance, doesn't give you a matching IRA funded account, doesn't give you sick days, vactation days, comp days, on top of that 800 take home per week.
    The job that I love gives me all that.
    Why would I give that up for something I can do (play poker and bet sports) on the side.

p.s. I opened up an off shore account years ago with 500, been grinding since, but I can honestly tell you, I have made a small profit by grinding over the years, not enough to buy a yacht or something, but I'm not giving up my career for someething I can do on the side.

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    Scibig123....grew up in Linwood and went to Mainland Regional...lived in Pleasantville, Absecon, and Oceanville during my youth...will look you up when I am home...I will contact you later this week and give you my e-mail...
    Very nice. Small world. I went to Mainland my Junior year...One, if not the best public schools in NJ and still is.

Remember like it was yesterday....

I lived in the Galloway area in grade school for a while, not to far away from the Absegami High School.

I've either lived or stayed around this area all my life. Currently reside in Ocean City, where I've spent most of my time growing up.

RX Senior
    Billhill -

Why would someone give up a job to bet full time?

Some people can make more money betting full time, can take vacation whenever they want, can buy insurance and invest in IRAs, etc etc...

I had a job and bet, I left the job and bet for 2 years, at my option I took another much better job and still bet. I'm sure another time will come when I'm only betting. The one thing betting doesnt do is it does not offer the social atmosphere that a work place does.

Viejo - a little bit of it is that halves and quarters can be off, but the much bigger part is 1/2 a pt is worth a heck of a lot more... Where as a half pt in the NBA might be worth 3.5% or so (Depends on the number), it can be worth 6-7% on a quarter number - maybe even higher in low total football and CBB games... If my main source of income is line shopping, it is better to find great bets of +7.5 quarter when the line is 7 than +24.5 game when the line is 24...

Sean

-Sean

billhill is obviosuly someone who doesnt have the MM to last...MM is the sole key to winning over the long run....

I am awaiting for vanzack's response to this thread....

Banned
    Austin you are wrong, the sole key to winning over the long haul is to just bet what railbird tells you to.

Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
    billhill is obviosuly someone who doesnt have the MM to last...MM is the sole key to winning over the long run....

I am awaiting for vanzack's response to this thread....
    MM meaning money management.
    If so, you are dead wrong, I'm a grinder. I know all about money management, started with 500 7 years ago, one account, now I have three accounts, and much more that that what I funded with my first account. You don't get to that point by not managing your money.

I am 75 % sure I could make money at this (especially poker) long term, but I like my job, and I have no problems being a poker weekend warrior and full time Operations Analyst.

Just to add to my point.
    My job, with perks is over 100,000 K a year.
    I have enough time with my work, to cap and play poker.
    I have security with my job, if I left that, am I guaranteed to make at least 100K gambling per year?

Even if you 'cap a game to perfection, you are not guaranteed that the ball will bounce the correct way and sink your wager that was supposed to be a sure bet.

How many sure double play ground balls, hit the bag and ricochet into the outfiled for a double to sink your bet?

How many field goal attempts hit the crossbar and bounce back, that makes your 3 1/2 point wager come up short?

Kimchee at the rate you spend your $$$ on women and then they screw you over ...you can never make any money in gambling....

you have got to limit that $$$ you shell out for the ladies or at least get some sort of Pre sex Nup agreement

I think if you try to do this starting with a 100K bankroll, you are asking for trouble. Closer to 500K honestly, if you want to make a decent living of at least 50K a year....

Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    WVU....bonus whoring does not count!!!! LOL.........................

then see my short answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0187 View Post
    I think if you try to do this starting with a 100K bankroll, you are asking for trouble. Closer to 500K honestly, if you want to make a decent living of at least 50K a year....

I agree. 100k bankroll is not enough to make a living unless you can live cheaply. I would think there are only a few posters here who have the bankroll and the ability to make a living doing this even if you work the bonus game correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0187 View Post
    500k?!?!?!

You could take 500k and make enough to live easily with safe stock market investments. Not to mention the fact that there is a ton less of a chance you'll go broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Kimchee at the rate you spend your $$$ on women and then they screw you over ...you can never make any money in gambling....

you have got to limit that $$$ you shell out for the ladies or at least get some sort of Pre sex Nup agreement

spending money is a neccesity just like gettin laid .....a girlfriend or a hooker costs the same.

but if i can make a living in the gambling industry in some way ,i ddon't mind spendin on a girlfriendor a gfe ...having said that, you are right...i would blow right thru my nest roll / bankroll.

Too much is made out of making a living at gambling, most of it glamourous, the truth is its a lifestyle very few could cope with longterm. The first thing is the discipline needed to overcome the percentages makes for fairly standard procedures which eliminate the fun and buzz of normal betting. Besides the boring hours on the PC ducking and diving one tends to become solitary, as your only real interest is gambling and parodoxically you dont want to get into discussing your methods. After a while even a harmless fun bet turns your guts as you know your being mugged for the price and letting your guard down.

All in all its a life I've always thought would suit a lifer in Prison, as He has left the mainstream Public as well.

I must admit though, the RX is a godsend in breaking up the monotony as you can reap the benefit of exchanging pleasantries witout having to get personal

I made good money for 5 years this year with luck I'll make enough to cover my neteller balance 8550 if that money stays in limbo. Mainly scalps 60% bonuses 30%. This year no bonuses.

Why not?

Follow this example....

If your starting bankroll = $50,000

Your standard bet for the season is 2% which is $1250 a bet to win $1125 (that accounts for the standard 10% juice).

For example it is CFB season and you make 100 plays over the 14weeks and you hit 60% (someone who is does this living should be able to hit that mark).. All flat betting, never adjusting your bet, every single one @ 2% of 50k...

60 x 1125 = $67,500
    40 x 1250 = ($50,000)

Result over CFB = $17,500, a 35% return on your investment..

Where else are you going to get a 35% return in 14weeks?

Now someone who does this for a living might bet CFB, NFL, March Madness, MLB and achieve 60% over the course of the season in all of these sports.

Everythingthatsgreen, I'm afraid your sadly mistaken in your theory, 60% longterm is a mere dream.

Sean, just curious on your baseball plays. Do you bet away underdog in EVERY game and has it shown an overall profit? As for me betting football correlated parlays and beating line moves has made a big difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by winbet View Post
    Everythingthatsgreen, I'm afraid your sadly mistaken in your theory, 60% longterm is a mere dream.
    Well that would be the difference between doing this for a living and sitting at home on the computer as a recreational gambler. I gave 60% as a guideline, surely if you hit 57% you would still return...

57 x 1125 = $64,125
    43 x 1250 = ($53,750)

Result over the season: $10,375, a 20.75% return on your investment in 14weks.

RX Senior
    The problem isn't winning. You can flip a coin and have a 50/50 chance you win. The problem is the general mental makeup of a gambler that prohibits them from winning longterm.

You all are not thinking about the emotional juices that kick into your brain when you get pummeled and want to get back "at the man" like I see all the time, only to end up broke in the long run.