Forum: Classic Threads From The Past - Visit here for a great "blast from the past" and view some terrific, informative and interesting "Classic Threads" posted by thousands of savvy sportsbettors over the years here at The Rx.com.....

Thread: can u really make a LIving SPORTS GAMBLING ?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. #1 can u really make a LIving SPORTS GAMBLING ? 
    RX Senior kimchee7270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,281
    THis Question has Been asked only a MILLION times in a month...BUT Seriously ....CAN WE REALLY MAKE A SUSTAINED LIVING Sports Betting ????

    been involved with gambling for the past 5 years ....CAN U REALLY BEAT THE MAN Consistently even with the Vig ???

    What Are Some of The PRInciples to Go By When wagering ?

    Is IT a myth or a fact To play Dogs over Favs ?....To JUst PLay One or Two Games a Day ? ....TO NEVER cHase ? ...

    I found people go up n down throughout the years ....n most everyone is 50 %.....so how does one beat the MAN? ....And IF One Does, Would he even SHare his info ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    1,808
    i dont think its possible. gamblers are known for there greed and chasing losses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    RX Senior kimchee7270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by dr03 View Post
    i dont think its possible. gamblers are known for there greed and chasing losses.

    Interesting..U just answered Two Elements That contributes To LOSING...CHASING and EMOTION !!!

    Which Brings To our Attention ...IF WE CAN ELiminate Those Two principles WE Would have A Better Chance...DOn't CHASE And GAMBle Very Disciplined ..like A Machine !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    1,808
    That's the general mindset of a gambler which is very hard, if not impossible to change. Ive seen tons of posts of people chasing loss after loss, I used to do it when I gambled, don't gamble anymore. IMO the game is built for you to lose, whatever money you make you lose it by the inherent greed that made you want to start making easy money in the first place. Get out while your ahead my friend.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    RX SemiGod WVU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    WV/Florida
    Posts
    11,648
    short answer...no
    long answer...yes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    RX Local VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    23,149
    I have only seen a handful of gamblers win over the long haul, but I have seen quite a few win by scalping baseball and all money lines in various sports....it can be done...hard work is always involved....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    RX Local VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    23,149
    WVU....bonus whoring does not count!!!! LOL.........................
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    . TTinCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sunny place for shady people
    Posts
    28,779
    Quote Originally Posted by WVU View Post
    short answer...no
    long answer...yes
    Such a whore......
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    RX Senior austintx05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,705
    it is possible, but very few have what it takes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    RX Senior kimchee7270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post
    it is possible, but very few have what it takes

    So WHAT The HELL Does IT TAKE ????

    Don't Chase / Don't Get Too emotional / hard Work means STUDY your picks ?....what Else fellas ???

    We R all on This Site 'cause We R either recreational gamblers/ hard Core gamblers / or bookies/ or just plain Bored ....

    IF WE Can't FIND Logical answers In makin Gambling WORThwhile THen WHY The Fvck do We Gamble ? ...Why The fvck are we even on this post ?

    need more rules to gamble successfully !!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #11  
    Willingness to learn~Hard works~Able to focus~Confident
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    HUMBLE
    Posts
    514
    If making a living betting sports, I would rather be a begger, if if you make it, you're not gona be rich, are you?

    Be the special one, be your own boss, work for yourself, open you own business, find your passion, invest, grow, expand, and reach to the elite, not just whore couple bucks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #12  
    RX Senior kimchee7270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary_5% View Post
    If making a living betting sports, I would rather be a begger, if if you make it, you're not gona be rich, are you?

    Be the special one, be your own boss, work for yourself, open you own business, find your passion, invest, grow, expand, and reach to the elite, not just whore couple bucks.

    i guess bookmaking is on the right course, then ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #13  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,822
    Yes, you can make substantial money - even without bonuses.

    Anyone who doubts this - I'd be happy to place a good sized wager that over 3000+ bets I am up.

    Sean
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #14  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,822
    You need 3 things to make money betting sports:

    1. A good sized bankroll. I would recommend $50,000 with bonuses or $100,000 with no bonuses if you don't wish to have a job too.
    2. Multiple books.
    3. Ability not to overbet.


    -Sean
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #15  
    Shark Billy Walters Jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monaco
    Posts
    3,418
    Yes, it is very possible to make a living betting on sports. Any other kind of gambling, not a chance (unless you win some rediculous jackpot, or the lottery, etc.).

    You must have patience and dedication. You would also want to get a good, working system that has been consistent over the past and run that during the course of that particular sports' season. If you have a big enough bankroll, you can easily make a living off of that alone.

    For example, if you found a good system that, let's say, makes 50 units of profit in one season. If you started with a $50,000 bankroll, making the units 2% of your bankroll, you would have doubled your bankroll. Now take whatever you need to live a good life, and leave a little bit extra on the top (I would say $10-20,000 in this situation), and you will be making even more profit the next year.

    Ideally, you would start out with a large bankroll, somewhere near the $100,000 mark. From there, the sky is the limit if you are playing a good system, for example, and making a good bit of units each year.

    Keep your money management to a science, and don't go off betting some rediculous odds. Bet smart, and you will come out a winner.

    A lot of people on this forum have a problem with chasing their losses, trying to make up for all of the losses in a short period of time. While this may be accomplished a few times, in the long run it will only end up costing you more money. I am defintely guilty of this myself, and if I want to be making a living betting on sports within the next few years, I have to really buckle down and get more patience and dedication than I could ever dream of having. Only then will I be able to making a living betting on sports.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #16  
    RX Local VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    23,149
    I would only imagine a few posters in this forum are lifetime winners...most of us are recreational bettors who love to gamble and enjoy it, the difference is that we all work somewhere in order to make a decent living and some of us dabble in other investments in order for our bankrolls to grow....we all love sports and are competitive to a fault.....but I truly believe that none of us here on the RX are lifetime winners in sports....someone correct me if I am wrong.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #17  
    RX Senior kimchee7270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrinzik View Post
    Yes, it is very possible to make a living betting on sports. Any other kind of gambling, not a chance (unless you win some rediculous jackpot, or the lottery, etc.).

    You must have patience and dedication. You would also want to get a good, working system that has been consistent over the past and run that during the course of that particular sports' season. If you have a big enough bankroll, you can easily make a living off of that alone.

    For example, if you found a good system that, let's say, makes 50 units of profit in one season. If you started with a $50,000 bankroll, making the units 2% of your bankroll, you would have doubled your bankroll. Now take whatever you need to live a good life, and leave a little bit extra on the top (I would say $10-20,000 in this situation), and you will be making even more profit the next year.

    Ideally, you would start out with a large bankroll, somewhere near the $100,000 mark. From there, the sky is the limit if you are playing a good system, for example, and making a good bit of units each year.

    Keep your money management to a science, and don't go off betting some rediculous odds. Bet smart, and you will come out a winner.

    A lot of people on this forum have a problem with chasing their losses, trying to make up for all of the losses in a short period of time. While this may be accomplished a few times, in the long run it will only end up costing you more money. I am defintely guilty of this myself, and if I want to be making a living betting on sports within the next few years, I have to really buckle down and get more patience and dedication than I could ever dream of having. Only then will I be able to making a living betting on sports.

    i'm glad u have the confidence ...it gives us hope , then ...thanx
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #18  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,822
    Viego -

    I will correct you as wrong. I am a lifetime winner in sports and have the tax returns to prove it. I've been a loser in some other businesses, but not gambling.

    I would be willing to bet at least 30 people who frequent this forum are lifetime winners...

    That being said, I am fairly certain the number is less than 10% of visitors here and probably less than 1%.

    Sean
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #19  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    142
    Absolutely, there is money to be made in anything in life, you just have to be able to point out the real methods of becoming successful at whatever you end up pursuing.

    Sadly, only 1 out of 10,000 people know what it takes and see the task at hand differently than the majority.

    It's about what important aspects to look out for. Not everyone looks at the same information, the same way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #20  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    250
    Yes, it is possible. Examples exist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #21  
    RX Local Jake T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    28,150
    You can. Maybe 1% of gamblers can do it though, tops. I have an extremely steady flow from it. Great money management, great picks... what keeps screwing me is that everytime I get a few hundreds built up, I'll pull it out and spend it on something. It's the reason why I'm only betting $20 a game. If I had left money in, I'd be betting 10 times that or more. I'm not trying to make a living out of it yet though. Lots of drunken nights have been paid for with gambling money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #22  
    RX Local VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    23,149
    Sean....happy to hear that someone does win.....but my years of experience show me that most don't....takes a special person with a willingness to work hard and achieve success.....I'm still sticking to maybe less than 5 posters here win most of the time....that being said, I am thinking Sean that you do not bet team A vs. team B most of the time.....got a hunch you are a major player with props and moneylines....am I right?? And maybe other sports such as golf, NASCAR, and European sports are the ones that you deal with....anyway, just my 2 cents and continued success Sean.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #23  
    RX Local VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    23,149
    Scibig123....are you really from A.C.?? I grew up around there and will be home next month for some rest and relaxation after coming back from Thailand...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #24  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    142
    Gambling and sports betting in particular is an enjoyable hobby for most that want to make money or make a score short term, the easy way, and aren't going in with a serious investment plan or expectations, hence the 1%.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #25  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    Scibig123....are you really from A.C.?? I grew up around there and will be home next month for some rest and relaxation after coming back from Thailand...
    Yes sir, I presently live and grew up at the Jersey Shore...AC, Ventor, Sea Isle City, Ocean City, Absecon and Somers Point. Been round...
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •