Insight on gambling, life and futures. Why do we do what we do?

Search

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
Cigarettes, many of us may say this is a terrible habit to pick up. Most people will point to the long term health effects, but I would point to the hit on the wallet. Many people in this country and world look at things from a perspective to legitimize there own habits and giving them a positive meaning. They will critique others habits and make theres appear to be worth while.

Every single person in this world struggles each and every day with a bad habit. Some peoples habits are worse then others, but everyone struggles from at least one bad habit.

This site is the greatest example of a habit. Gambling; one of the most frowned upon habits in the country is shown here on a daily basis. Although many will say it isn't a habit it is a lifestyle, gambling remains the trickiest habit out there. Gambling can be a good and bad habit and that is what makes it so unique. Smoking, drinking, drugs, cheating, scamming, and lying are just a few other habits that people have, but none of those have a good side to them. The good side is what makes gambling possibly the toughest habit in the world to break. The chase for the next big hit, the possibility of an easy lifestyle by catching just one break, or the mind set that in the long run my luck will turn around.

The thing is that gambling is way to complex for many of us to understand. We witness someone win 190 thousand dollars in a card tournament and think, that could be me. But in all honesty the average card player has the same shot winning that tournament, as he does hitting little lotto. Gambling is so complex because there are billions of ways that people think they can beat the system. They look at every angle and many times people over analyze a game, and it puts them on the wrong side.

Although many here appear to beat the books, the odds are that many don't. In my posted plays in the College Hoops forum for the NCAA Tournament I am +14.9 units on a three unit scale. It would appear that I was taking bank, but what about all the little side plays that are made? All the little parlays and the small bets "just for fun".

The reason a gambler can never win is because in gambling you can't win. The people that win at betting are not gamblers. When they place a bet they don't sit down and watch what they just placed 10,000 dollars on. They place the bet, go out and do other things, come back the next morning and check there bank roll. The word gambling is overused in the betting world. People that are winners are not gamblers, they are handicappers or bettors. We live in a society where everyone wants to take the easy way out, and where everyone tries to be the one to hit the next big one.

When I look at a smoker I think to myself, how much money have they spent on Cigarettes? What do they really do for him? Is it worth the 5 dollars they pay everyday to smell like smoke? To them it is a habit, and in there minds it does have a return and a positive one at that. In realization there is no positive turn of cigarettes, drinking or drugs, but many out there will try and convince you there is.

Life is so complex, because inside this shell of life are very complex things like gambling. This is a site that I will generate a lot of uproar on how I must have lost a lot of money. In which I would reply, I am a college kid who doesn't bet enough to lose. In my life I am probably up money "gambling" but after thinking about it. Aren't I just betting on borrowed time? Eventually it will catch up to me that sometimes I bet with my heart, and sometimes I bet because I am drunk, and other times I bet because I am bored. Although there are times between there where I spend hours looking into games, that really doesn't matter. Even if I am the best in the world and am hitting 60% on the plays I look into, what about those other little hidden plays. Those are the ones that kill most gamblers.

I have decided that many will disagree with my assessments, and I will hear all the reasons why gambling is not the same as those habits. But like any habit it can be OK in moderation but gets bad when you abuse it. Gambling in my opinion should not be a habit, but a form of entertainment. Many use gambling as a way to enhance a game they are watching, or to get excited about an upcoming event, but many would never consider entertainment money gambling money.

As I have said before gambling is by far the toughest habit because it is the only one with a return, which could be major. Anyone in this world could get lucky and hit a 10 team parlay and that could pay there rent for 6 months. But how about all the times you lose that bet, and you could come up short.

I am lucky because I am a kid who has been supported by his parents and have time to learn the hardships of life and gambling.

I love to bet on games and play poker but honestly it is one bad habit, and as a college kid that gives me 4 bad habits. And in life I will eventually have to break all four habits.

In life we do everything for a reason and we push to be the best, but many don't strive to be the best to prove everyone wrong, many strive to be the best because that is the most rewarding financially. In the world we live in today people are driven by a piece of paper with a dead guy on it. Everyone strives to be the next millionaire or billionaire and in the process they don't slow down and enjoy the blessing of life. Life is the greatest gift, and in my opinion the only gift god truly gives. Many will take life for granted and not learn from there mistakes, but I am vowing to not be one of those people. I have made many mistakes in my short life but the learning process has been great. When I look back at my life 60 years from now I want to know that there was nothing I could have done to better myself.

Although life is not all about money, it is all about the Pursuit of Happiness and success. No one in this world wants to fail, but many don't want to try. I was one of those people for a long time because it seemed that life came to easily to me.

If everyone on this site started saving for there future at the age of 18 I guarantee many of you could be at your financial goal in life. But what is everyones financial goal, In my opinion everyones financial goal is comfort. I want to be able to walk out of my house in the morning and no that my job is secure, my bills are payed and my family is happy. I don't need the extra 100k in my account to go buy a new car, I will be happy in a 4 bed room home, in a nice community and being able to pay for my child's education. I don't need the extravagant lights shining down on me, and I certainly don't want to be in the spot light. The American Dream is comfort and security not prosperity. Although many want to prosper and many will argue that prosperity brings comfort and security, we are all being close minded to the fact that being to prosperous can cause agony and stress for all parties included.

Basically I wrote this looking to see what you guys think about life in general and about gambling.

I have decided to give up gambling as a habit and make it an entertainment. Many will ask what is the difference. The difference is, gambling will be the last thing I put money into. I will probably not deposit into a gambling site for up to a year. I have enough money to play with for a year, and if I run out I'll go to a movie or to a baseball game. Because there is no negative return of a baseball game. Even if you lose you will have spent your money on an entertainment that is relaxing instead of stressful.

So just look at life as a bunch of little habits, some have are good at times but many are bad. Eliminate as many habits as you can, and life will be that much easier. This is not a post to say look at my wiseness, if anything this is pointing out my mistakes in life.

I love life and am grateful for the gift of life. I love sports and don't need gambling to follow them.

A future of comfort is a future I reach for, and many should look in the mirror today and ask if you are comfortable. Don't reach for the stars everyday because sometimes you are going to whiff and fall further then you can afford to fall. On that day it will be to late.

In no way am I calling gambling a problem for everyone or trying to tell anyone how to live there life. Just adding a perspective to everyone. So do not get defensive as I am not attacking anyone, nor am I attacking The RX because it is a place that is about must more then gambling.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.
Tokens
I refer to what I do as Sports Investing. Nongamblers just dont understand. I dont watch many games at all anymore. In fact, I hate watching games I have money on and try not to. You either win or lose and to me it doesnt matter how they got there...just the final score matters.

In all honesty, I wish I wouldve never filled out my first "tip" sheet during my freshman year in college in 1993. I've become consumed with winning and beating the system since then. I was a dumb square for the first 6 years of my gambling life, but have since learned a lot the last 5 to turn a nice profit...... usually. I often wonder what wouldve happened with my life if I didnt "gamble." I think I'd be bored to hell. Right now, I have a good job, a great wife, & a new daughter, yet I still do this. I dont bet a ton nor do I need to bet to live. I have a set bankroll set aside for it so my wife is cool with it. Still though, in the Fall, on the weekend mornings, I feel like I've missed out on so much the last 12-14 years or so since I started gambling. I wouldnt do things because I had to get the lines or get down. During college, we'd all be out on a Saturday night drinking & everyone else was having fun, while I was watching CNN for the scores! That was when I bet with money I dint have !!! LOL and I bet a lot more then than I do now....when now I actually have money to lose!LOL. Sad, but true......sad, but still enjoyable as hell. Whenever I dont have action now, life seems boring.

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
I refer to what I do as Sports Investing. Nongamblers just dont understand. I dont watch many games at all anymore. In fact, I hate watching games I have money on and try not to. You either win or lose and to me it doesnt matter how they got there...just the final score matters.

In all honesty, I wish I wouldve never filled out my first "tip" sheet during my freshman year in college in 1993. I've become consumed with winning and beating the system since then. I was a dumb square for the first 6 years of my gambling life, but have since learned a lot the last 5 to turn a nice profit...... usually. I often wonder what wouldve happened with my life if I didnt "gamble." I think I'd be bored to hell. Right now, I have a good job, a great wife, & a new daughter, yet I still do this. I dont bet a ton nor do I need to bet to live. I have a set bankroll set aside for it so my wife is cool with it. Still though, in the Fall, on the weekend mornings, I feel like I've missed out on so much the last 12-14 years or so since I started gambling. I wouldnt do things because I had to get the lines or get down. During college, we'd all be out on a Saturday night drinking & everyone else was having fun, while I was watching CNN for the scores! That was when I bet with money I dint have !!! LOL and I bet a lot more then than I do now....when now I actually have money to lose!LOL. Sad, but true......sad, but still enjoyable as hell. Whenever I dont have action now, life seems boring.

That is pretty much my worry and why I will probably retire from the gambling world once all my money is gone. Life is far to exciting to seem boring w/o gambling. Life is short and many take it for granted. I don't want to look back on life and no I didn't have the best time I could have possibly had.

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
i met Ty Willingham at ND when i was a freshman, he extended an invitation to some of the freshmen at my dorm to watch part of a practice and chat with us. He talked about drinking and drugs and shit and said "I never drink. If any one of you can tell me one good thing that comes from drinking, one legitimate claim that you can make, then i'll start drinking."
Everyone was quiet. I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs "cause it gets you fucked up negroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
!!!!"

I didn't though. I don't think he would have claimed it as a legitimate argument.

Yes I am not saying I will stop drinking but I understand it has no positive return. haha but I do like getting f'ed up

Tokens
gambling for me is a great hobby.....while other people are "bored" with nothing to do I can always get on the RX and learn something new about sports, statistics, money, etc. There will always be something new to learn and study.

I am a huge stats guy. Since I don't play in any organized sports leagues anymore this is where I get my stats. Even if I was betting $2 a game I would be pretty happy with myself after hitting a good % of plays. I also am pretty disciplined I don't bet a ton of games, maybe 7 per week.

I dont let gambling control my life and do not think that I am the type to ever have a "problem" with gambling. I think a lot of people here do have a problem though. The newbies that rack up 1000 posts in just a couple of weeks and are always asking "who to tail"....if you can't do this on your own and you are going to blindly follow someone over the internet, gambling just isn't for you. And its not just the newbies, some of the regulars have posts that make me really question them and what they are doing.

I don't know if I will be doing this 20 years from now or not. I guess hopefully I'll be too busy with a family to have the time or desire to look at lines very often

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
gambling for me is a great hobby.....while other people are "bored" with nothing to do I can always get on the RX and learn something new about sports, statistics, money, etc. There will always be something new to learn and study.

I am a huge stats guy. Since I don't play in any organized sports leagues anymore this is where I get my stats. Even if I was betting $2 a game I would be pretty happy with myself after hitting a good % of plays. I also am pretty disciplined I don't bet a ton of games, maybe 7 per week.

I dont let gambling control my life and do not think that I am the type to ever have a "problem" with gambling. I think a lot of people here do have a problem though. The newbies that rack up 1000 posts in just a couple of weeks and are always asking "who to tail"....if you can't do this on your own and you are going to blindly follow someone over the internet, gambling just isn't for you. And its not just the newbies, some of the regulars have posts that make me really question them and what they are doing.

I don't know if I will be doing this 20 years from now or not. I guess hopefully I'll be too busy with a family to have the time or desire to look at lines very often

Oh that is why I love theRX. I will be here if I stop gambling, probably posting plays for fun, and talking sports. I love learning new things outside the gambling world. This site is educational and humorous. I also love learning about MM, but sports are a great thing and something you can enjoy with everyone. Gambling is an individual thing that you are often enjoying by yourself, a lonely event very often.

Also hope to be too busy with other things... Gambling is very low on my list of entertainment. I enjoy so many other things and need to get out and do them as much as possible

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
gets you that positive return when you're gettin your dick sucked, shoot.

either that or when you laugh at yourself when you're too drunk to sustain an erection, then subsequently crying and using your tears as lubricant.

Yeah but then in the morning she wakes up and cries rape haha Negative return

EV Whore
Tokens
i met Ty Willingham at ND when i was a freshman, he extended an invitation to some of the freshmen at my dorm to watch part of a practice and chat with us. He talked about drinking and drugs and shit and said "I never drink. If any one of you can tell me one good thing that comes from drinking, one legitimate claim that you can make, then i'll start drinking."
Everyone was quiet. I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs "cause it gets you fucked up negroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
!!!!"

I didn't though. I don't think he would have claimed it as a legitimate argument.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYY BITCH.

recognize

Tokens
the only thing that bothers me about being a member of therx is this,,when a guy gets to a certain number of posts,say,5 thousand,10,20,or even 30,ooo posts,everybody joins in and congratulates him like he has spent all that time doin all these wonderful things for planet earth,and the people on it,its one thing to get on the net,and have some fun for a while,but jesus christ,thousands upon thousands upon thousands of posts? ive got about 1500 posts,and i spend waaaaay way too much time here,,the other day,somebody posted a listing of the guys who had the most posts,and called it the 10,000 club or somethin,like they should be really proud of themslves for wasting so much of their life,,can you imagine,goin to a family member and saying,hey you will never believe what i did,youre goin to be so fkn proud of me, while you guys were goin to the beach,birthday parties,visiting grandma,goin to family reunions,puttin up christmas trees,and all that other boring stuff,i have been on the internet for the past 5 years and guess what,ive got more posts than everybody but 3 or 4 guys,if i keep at it,in another 5 years im goin to pass every damned one of em,,,,, oh well,ive got to go and wish a couple more guys "good luck' dont get me wrong,i enjoy therx very much,,buuut,if i had 30,000 posts on a message board,and didnt realize i was missin out on life,i hope that a family member would do an intervention on me...hope you fellers have a fantastic day,i plan on havin the best day of my life.

EV Whore
Tokens
the only thing that bothers me about being a member of therx is this,,when a guy gets to a certain number of posts,say,5 thousand,10,20,or even 30,ooo posts,everybody joins in and congratulates him like he has spent all that time doin all these wonderful things for planet earth,and the people on it,its one thing to get on the net,and have some fun for a while,but jesus christ,thousands upon thousands upon thousands of posts? ive got about 1500 posts,and i spend waaaaay way too much time here,,the other day,somebody posted a listing of the guys who had the most posts,and called it the 10,000 club or somethin,like they should be really proud of themslves for wasting so much of their life,,can you imagine,goin to a family member and saying,hey you will never believe what i did,youre goin to be so fkn proud of me, while you guys were goin to the beach,birthday parties,visiting grandma,goin to family reunions,puttin up christmas trees,and all that other boring stuff,i have been on the internet for the past 5 years and guess what,ive got more posts than everybody but 3 or 4 guys,if i keep at it,in another 5 years im goin to pass every damned one of em,,,,, oh well,ive got to go and wish a couple more guys "good luck' dont get me wrong,i enjoy therx very much,,buuut,if i had 30,000 posts on a message board,and didnt realize i was missin out on life,i hope that a family member would do an intervention on me...hope you fellers have a fantastic day,i plan on havin the best day of my life.

Wow, and you're the one writing a god damned book about it. :WTF:

Can't you see that noone likes you...

MrJ

Tokens
The reason a gambler can never win is because in gambling you can't win. The people that win at betting are not gamblers.

Not true. Gambling by definition is to have a stake on an uncertain outcome. Ie a bet where chance is involved. Not only does that include the guys betting successfully, the guys investing in anything that has an uncertain outcome, but it also includes almost anyone doing anything, eg crossing the road. :)

Official Rx music critic and beer snob
Tokens
gets you that positive return when you're gettin your dick sucked, shoot.

either that or when you laugh at yourself when you're too drunk to sustain an erection, then subsequently crying and using your tears as lubricant.

:lol:

Tokens

Actually an interesting post. While it doesn't apply to everyone in an extreme way, it does have some truth to it

WVU

Tokens
gambling is a tough way to earn a living. Very few can do it. many more will try and fail. If you can't afford the variance involved then gambling should not even be a hobby.

Tokens

not gonna lie that shit had me crackin up

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
Holler bro... maybe up my ass... or maybe not haha...

I was talking about Carey not you dsethi...

No I understand the definition of gambling, but people that do this very successful for a living I would consider investors not gamblers. They no they are going to have a positive return. When they win a game on some bullshit or lose a game on it they usually don't even know it happened. They just no it as a win or loss.

Respect My Steez
Tokens
Holler bro... maybe up my ass... or maybe not haha...

I was talking about Carey not you dsethi...

No I understand the definition of gambling, but people that do this very successful for a living I would consider investors not gamblers. They no they are going to have a positive return. When they win a game on some bullshit or lose a game on it they usually don't even know it happened. They just no it as a win or loss.

Even people that do this for a living don't "know" that they will have a positive return. It is still a gamble. WVU stated it best with the word "variance". Even the best of sports bettors and poker players are going to have bad runs. Like it or not, luck plays a significant factor in short term success/failure of gamblers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greetvape
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com