Home Sweet Home
Tokens
1. 1996 Chicago Bulls Score: 327.9
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 72-10
Postseason record: 15-3
Avg. scoring margin: +12.2
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +10.6
Finals result: Beat Seattle, 4-2 LEADERS (regular-season stats)
Scoring: Michael Jordan, 30.4 ppg
Rebounds: Dennis Rodman, 14.9 rpg
Assists: Scottie Pippen, 5.9 apg
Coach: Phil Jackson
Finals MVP: Michael Jordan

Hands down, the greatest team of all time. How can you choose another when these guys won 72 regular-season games and 14 of their first 15 in the postseason? The Bulls were so good they were first in both offensive and defensive efficiency, and outscored their opponents by 12.2 points per game.

With names like Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Toni Kukoc, not to mention a coach like Phil Jackson, this team was pretty much unbeatable -- in fact, seven of its playoff wins were by 17 points or more. The only nit to pick was the Bulls' consecutive losses to the Sonics in the Finals, but they were up 3-0 by then and seemingly bored with how good they were.

2. 1987 Los Angeles Lakers Score: 301.5
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 65-17
Avg. scoring margin: +9.3
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +11.4
Finals result: Beat Boston, 4-2 LEADERS
Scoring: Magic Johnson, 23.9 ppg
Rebounds: A.C. Green, 7.9 rpg
Assists: Magic Johnson, 12.4 apg
Coach: Pat Riley
Finals MVP: Magic Johnson

Fittingly, the great Lakers and Celtics teams are in a virtual dead heat for second place. (You'll note that I just call the Lakers "Los Angeles" in this list -- no risk of confusing them with the Clippers here.) This L.A. team nudged ahead of Boston by virtue of winning 65 games in the regular season and then trashing the West -- 11 wins in 12 games -- to make the Finals. The Lakers beat the Celtics in six, and for the playoffs as a whole outscored their opponents by 205 points -- the best of any team on this list. Seven different players averaged double figures, led by Magic with 23.9 points per game.

3. 1986 Boston Celtics Score: 301.1
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 67-15
Avg. scoring margin: +9.4
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +10.3
Finals result: Beat Houston, 4-2 LEADERS
Scoring: Larry Bird, 25.8 ppg
Rebounds: Larry Bird, 9.8 rpg
Assists: Larry Bird, 6.8 apg
Coach: K.C. Jones
Finals MVP: Larry Bird

The Celtics won 67 games in '86 behind the best frontcourt ever assembled -- Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish and Bill Walton -- and followed it up by stampeding through the playoffs in 15 games. They rank behind L.A. mostly because their victory margin wasn't as strong in the playoffs. On the other hand, this isn't a bad list to be No. 3 on. And few teams will ever have five players averaging at least 15 a game in the playoffs, as Boston's legendary quintet did in this postseason.

4. 1991 Chicago Bulls Score: 294.5
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 61-21
Postseason record: 15-2
Avg. scoring margin: +9.1
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +11.6
Finals result: Beat Los Angeles, 4-1 LEADERS
Scoring: Michael Jordan, 31.5 ppg
Rebounds: Horace Grant, 8.4 rpg
Assists: Scottie Pippen, 6.2 apg
The Bulls' first championship team "only" won 61 games, but had a very impressive victory margin (plus-9.1 per game, the sixth best on the list) and absolutely romped in the playoffs. Chicago's 15-2 mark in the postseason was amazing considering it knocked off a two-time champion in four games (Detroit) followed by a four-time champion in five (the Lakers). The Bulls' plus-11.6 playoff victory margin ranks second among the 60 teams. Only three players averaged double figures, but I guess that's not a problem when one of them scores 34.0 per game.

5. 1997 Chicago Bulls Score: 287.1
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 69-13
Postseason record: 15-4
Avg. scoring margin: +10.8
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +5.5
Finals result: Beat Utah, 4-2 LEADERS
Scoring: Michael Jordan, 29.6 ppg
Rebounds: Dennis Rodman, 16.1 rpg
Assists: Scottie Pippen, 5.7 apg

So much for championship hangovers. The '96 Bulls were the best ever, but their successors weren't exactly chopped liver. Chicago won 69 games -- which would have tied the record were it not for the 72 wins the previous season -- and the Bulls' plus-10.8 average victory margin was also second only to the '96 edition. Their longest losing streak was two games, for crying out loud. They weren't quite as strong in the playoffs, needing six tough games to outlast the Jazz in the Finals and dropping two other postseason games, but they were plenty good. Amazingly, Jordan and Pippen were the only Bulls to average more than eight points a game in the postseason -- but 11 guys saw regular action.

6. 1985 Los Angeles Lakers Score: 280.3
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 62-20
Postseason record: 15-4
Avg. scoring margin: +7.4
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +10.7
Finals result: Beat Boston, 4-2 LEADERS
Scoring: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 22.0 ppg
Rebounds: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 7.9 rpg
Assists: Magic Johnson, 12.6 apg
Coach: Pat Riley
Finals MVP: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

The Lakers were so good in '85 and '87 that it's hard to fathom how they lost in five games to Houston in the year between. This edition won 62 games, went on an 11-2 romp through the Western Conference playoffs, then slew the leprechauns by winning Game 6 in Boston Garden to claim the title.

For the postseason, L.A.'s average scoring margin narrowly missed topping the list -- amazing considering the Lakers lost the "Boston Massacre" 148-114 in Game 1 of the Finals. But 10 of their 15 playoff wins came by 16 points or more -- including a win by 24 points or more in every round -- showing just how dominant these Lakers were.

7. 1992 Chicago Bulls Score: 277.3
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 67-15
Postseason record: 15-7
Avg. scoring margin: +10.4
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +6.2
Finals result: Beat Portland, 4-2 LEADERS
Scoring: Michael Jordan, 30.1 ppg
Rebounds: Horace Grant, 10.0 rpg
Assists: Scottie Pippen, 7.0 apg

These Bulls had a great regular-season run, winning 67 games and joining the '96 and '97 editions as the only teams on the list to have an average scoring margin of plus-10 or more in the regular season. The playoffs were a different story, however -- the Knicks nearly knocked them off in Round 2, and they lost by 26 at home to Cleveland in the conference finals before righting their ship and winning the title. Their seven postseason losses are the most of any team in the top 15. As with the '97 team, everyone got involved -- the Bulls used 11 players regularly and clinched the title in Game 6 against Portland when 12th man Bobby Hansen led a huge fourth-quarter rally.

8. 1999 San Antonio Spurs Score: 268.2
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 37-13
Avg. scoring margin: +8.1
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +7.2
Finals result: Beat New York, 4-1 LEADERS
Scoring: Tim Duncan, 21.7 ppg
Rebounds: Tim Duncan, 11.4 rpg
Assists: Avery Johnson, 7.4 apg
Coach: Gregg Popovich
Finals MVP: Tim Duncan

A forgotten great team because of the lockout, the Spurs began the year 6-8 … and then went 46-7 the rest of the way, with nary a losing streak. An awesome defensive squad led by big men David Robinson and Tim Duncan, San Antonio's 84.7 points allowed per game is far and away the least of any of these 60 squads. That 15-2 postseason mark ain't too shabby either, including sweeps of the Blazers and Lakers. So stingy was the defense that only twice in 17 playoff games did San Antonio's opponent muster 90 points.

9. 1983 Philadelphia 76ers Score: 265.3
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 65-17
Postseason record: 12-1
Avg. scoring margin: +8.1
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +7.2
Finals result: Beat Los Angeles, 4-0 LEADERS
Scoring: Moses Malone, 24.5 ppg
Rebounds: Moses Malone, 15.3 rpg
Assists: Maurice Cheeks, 6.9 apg
Coach: Billy Cunningham
Finals MVP: Moses Malone

The famous "fo', fo', fo'" team of Moses Malone had one of the all-time great playoff runs, winning 12 times in 13 games to give both Moses and Dr. J their only NBA title rings. Malone's playoff numbers were freakish: 26.0 points, 15.8 boards and 54 percent shooting.

The regular season wasn't too shabby either, with 65 wins, but Philly's victory margin in both the regular season and the playoffs wasn't quite on par with some of the other teams on this list, which is why the Sixers ended up a few spots lower than I suspect most folks would rank them.

10. 1989 Detroit Pistons Score: 262.7
KEY FACTS
Regular-season record: 63-19
Avg. scoring margin: +5.8
Avg. scoring margin, playoffs: +7.7
Finals result: Beat Los Angeles, 4-0 LEADERS
Scoring: Adrian Dantley, 18.4 ppg
Rebounds: Bill Laimbeer, 9.6 rpg
Assists: Isiah Thomas, 8.7 apg
Coach: Chuck Daly
Finals MVP: Joe Dumars

The Pistons' first championship team came with something of an asterisk, since all the Lakers' players got hurt in the Finals. Still, Detroit put together a 15-2 finishing kick to get the rings, and that came on the heels of a 63-win regular season -- six games better than any other team that season. The Pistons didn't have a 20-point scorer, but went nine deep and played great defense.

Of the 30 championship teams, only six made it through the tournament with two losses or fewer, and only four did so while winning at least 15 games. Speaking of which …

Rx. Junior
Tokens
I like the list... I think the 97 Bulls were better than the 91 Bulls though

Tokens
Saw this on ESPN earlier today. Can't disagree with #1.

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
Just thought it was amazing Jordan has 5 of the top 10.... Just saying for people that want to compare someone too him... He had great teams but many greats have had great teams around them... It wasn't that he won 6 title's it was how he did... Such a dominating fashion...

I think Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, at least one of the teams, belongs on this list... Hell Michael was great but so were they... got to give them a spot even if that means bumping off one Bulls entry...

This is also for people that truly though that Kobe's and Shaq's lakers and Duncan's Spurs would have beat the Bulls dynasty. I think we all forget how great the Bad Boy Pistons, the Celtics, and the Lakers were... And they weren't as good as the Bulls...

Banned
Tokens
Would have loved to seen these top 3 teams go at it...all in their prime...hard to argue with 72 but those other two teams seemed to have more players around the stars....interesting all 3 went 15-3 in the playoffs.

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
I don't think anyone (who was around then) forgot them.

Just thought about it when I was reading a few posts last week about how the Lakers and Spurs would have beaten Jordan's bulls and what not... I was hoping you would chime in Journey... You have a good perception on the older teams and it helps.

I thought the 72 team had the best arranging of players that you could have had because they all played a certain role...

Jordan and Pippen were excellent perimeter defenders, Pippen also a great interior defender, and both were big time scorers.

Steve Kerr was deadly from the outside... Best three point shooter of all time...

Harper was a great defender and a grinder... Love to play the game and get loose balls...

Longley was a good Offensive rebounder and weak side player...

Rodman was incredible obvioulsy don't need to go into details...

Buchler was also a guy who could drain shots and was taller to shoot over the bigger defenders...

I'm all about low expectations
Tokens
Solid list. The 72 win Bulls team has to be at the top. A little suprised no Shaq-Kobe Lakers, one of those teams should have made the list. Showtime vs Bulls would have been the nuts.

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
Solid list. The 72 win Bulls team has to be at the top. A little suprised no Shaq-Kobe Lakers, one of those teams should have made the list. Showtime vs Bulls would have been the nuts.

Game I would have loved to see... To bad Jordan and the Bulls couldn't have put it together and grabbed Pippen a little earlier...

Think Shaq's Lakers belong on here though no doubt...

Banned
Tokens
Just thought about it when I was reading a few posts last week about how the Lakers and Spurs would have beaten Jordan's bulls and what not... I was hoping you would chime in Journey... You have a good perception on the older teams and it helps.

I thought the 72 team had the best arranging of players that you could have had because they all played a certain role...

Jordan and Pippen were excellent perimeter defenders, Pippen also a great interior defender, and both were big time scorers.

Steve Kerr was deadly from the outside... Best three point shooter of all time...

Harper was a great defender and a grinder... Love to play the game and get loose balls...

Longley was a good Offensive rebounder and weak side player...

Rodman was incredible obvioulsy don't need to go into details...

Buchler was also a guy who could drain shots and was taller to shoot over the bigger defenders...

Hard to say which was the greatest team, Jordan is the greatest player though as I have stated many times, nobody delivered like he did, he did have the refs but I suppose that is just how it works.....trust me I watched every game, the refs always bent over for Michael late in the playoff games....you had to knockout the champ, no TKO in the NBA finals and it never happened.

Phoenix had their shot, was making a series of it then Paxson did his thing they did play them tough, Portland played the Bulls very tough in the early 90's, had a ridiculous ref aided 4th qtr meltdown in game 6 , Utah even had chances, their was not much difference between Utah and Chicago when they met, especially the second time...I'm talking one possession type stuff...the steal Jordan made on Karl late in the game, it was like teams just froze late in games in the finals, many times the Bulls were on the ropes but they always managed... Point is the Bulls didn't just destroy these teams in the NBA finals is my point, and I'm not taking anything away from them...they did handle Seattle pretty routinely but Seattle did win a couple games after that series looked dead. ...

Indiana really took it to them as well in the last East conf final that Chicago ended up winning it all.

I am not sure which of those top 3 teams was really the very best. Of course we will never really know, 72 is hard to put in 2nd place though.

good night

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
Hard to say which was the greatest team, Jordan is the greatest player though as I have stated many times, nobody delivered like he did, he did have the refs but I suppose that is just how it works.....trust me I watched every game, the refs always bent over for Michael late in the playoff games....you had to knockout the champ, no TKO in the NBA finals and it never happened.

Phoenix had their shot, was making a series of it then Paxson did his thing they did play them tough, Portland played the Bulls very tough in the early 90's, had a ridiculous ref aided 4th qtr meltdown in game 6 , Utah even had chances, their was not much difference between Utah and Chicago when they met, especially the second time...I'm talking one possession type stuff...the steal Jordan made on Karl late in the game, it was like teams just froze late in games in the Finals... a little of both I'm sure but the Bulls didn't just destroy these teams in the NBA finals is my point, and I'm not taking anything away from them...they did handle Seattle pretty routinely but Seattle did win a couple games after that series looked dead.

I am not sure which of those top 3 teams was really the very best. Of course we will never really know, 72 is hard to put in 2nd place though.

good night

Night Journey and appreciate it... A lot of big time teams had the refs... I agree with what they said about the 72 team in the finals... Just looked bored and kind of just sat back and waited to win the series in 6...

I say vee cut off your Chonson !!!!
Tokens
I remember that 96 Bulls team , they dominated. But I swear after allstar break the were favored by double digits every game , and although they were the hottest Money line winner in town , nobody was laying 10/1 , and although they had many blowouts , I recall everytime I layed the points with them that year , they ended up not covering by 1-2 points. I lay 12.5 , they win by 11. I lay 15 against the shittiest team in the league , they are up 25 going into the 4th , and then Jordan Pippen and crewcome out and they win by 14...I would like to know their ATS record that year for the regular season if anybody can pull it up or has it stored....And I do agree that team was the best ever .... I also believe if Jordan didnt retire the first time , CHicago wins 9 titles in a row ..........

RX resident ChicAustrian
Tokens
I don't agree with #1, the NBA at that time was crap. If that team was put together 10 years earlier, they probably don't get the best record in the east.

Tokens
This Spurs team could beat all of em. The game is better now than ever.

Home Sweet Home
Tokens
I don't agree with #1, the NBA at that time was crap. If that team was put together 10 years earlier, they probably don't get the best record in the east.

???????

You are entitled to your opinion... But Hakeem was still in the league... The Jazz were

Seattle had Payton, Kemp and Hawkins

The Magic had Shaq and Hardaway

The Knicks had Ewing, Mason, Starks and Harper

I say vee cut off your Chonson !!!!
Tokens

then please enlighten us with your pick ...? Thread is titled top ten , not who shouldnt be number 1 ... and any answer is justified in this thread because there isnt a given answer that is correct , everybodys opinion counts ... and should be heard , especially if you disagree with first [place on the list , If not the Bulls of 96' , then who ??

Tokens
This is one thing we will always disagree on no matter what way we argue... So no point in arguing...

Not more fun to watch, but I personally don't think there is any question that the league is at an all time high, talent and coaching wise.

The Great Govenor of California
Tokens
ESPN LIST IS A JOKE, as is espn

1. 1990 PISTONS

Not on ESPN list and better than the 89 Pistons who was espn 10, I wont mentuion espn again because I have no respect for their front office to begin with.

2. 1984 Celtics

Better than the 86 Celtics who had dream draw, 84 had Cornbread.

3. 1983 Sixers
4. 1988 Pistons

Lost in Finals only cuz Isiah injured, but best team I have seen in long time

5. 2003 Pistons

I swear Im not a Piston fan, just calling them like I saw them. B.Wallace awesome. Prince Owned Kobe

6. 1980 Lakers

Jaamal Wilkes and Norm Nixon

7. 1996 Bulls

Jordan had a good year, key to the team was Rodman cleaning glass, refs catered to the team.

8. 1986 Celtics
9. 1979 Sonics

Downtown Fred Brown was clutch, DJ and Sikma also

10. 2000 Lakers

What made this team great was Glen Rice keeping the double team on Shaq honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com