July 2nd Analysis

Search

Tokens
An Undervalued Road Favorite
New York Mets
Comment:

The Rockies are a young team that thrives off of momentum more than most teams. When things are going well, they go really well. In June, they showed that they can group their young talent together and become a real force, as they went on a 13-3 run which included impressive series against the Red Sox and Yankees. However, with the good comes the bad, as the Rockies have recently shown that when things go bad, they become really bad, and manage to find ways to lose games that simply should not have been lost. Yesterday, this downward momentum really showed, as they simply did not show up to play that game, making it their 9th loss in their last ten games. Coming back home to play a team like the Mets might be the thing the Rockies need to get jump started again, however, until they are able to show they could put a halt to this pendulum quickly swinging the other way, I have no problem going against them.

The Mets once again might be the best road team in the National League, as they showed that to be the case in a hard fought weekend series against the Phillies. They have a good chance to carry that momentum forward, as they get to face a “raw talent” pitcher that has recently lost his command and confidence on the mound. In the beginning of the season, Hirsh showed what his big frame and live arm can do to hitters. However, some point along the way, he reverted back to the struggling pitcher of last year, as his strikeout rate took a sudden fall, while his walk rate has hit a dangerous level. During the last two months, he has walked a batter nearly every two innings, which is not a deficiency you want when you are unable to hold runners on and are up against a team as aggressive and fast on the base paths as the Mets are. Walks have not been Hirsh’s only problem of late, as his flyball tendencies have been magnified in recent starts due to his lack of command. This is not something you want when pitching in this park, and allowing seven home runs in the last 14 innings of work is enough evidence to assume something is simply not right with him. Being backed by an overworked and not terribly effective bullpen should allow the Mets to face hittable pitchers throughout this game and give Glavine some adequate run support.

Although Glavine’s numbers are a bit off from the last few years, they are a bit misleading, as they are skewed by two successive bad starts against veteran lineups that he did not match up well against. Those two starts aside, he is having yet again another solid season. He also seems to be pitching with a chip on his shoulder since his Yankees debacle, as he has allowed just one run in his last two outings combined. Although the Rockies have a talented lineup, it is a lineup that Glavine matches up well against, as he could take advantage of their youth and aggressive tendencies at the plate. They haven’t seen his stuff in nearly two years, and some of the integral parts of the lineup have struggled against him in the past, as Atkins (their hottest hitter), Holliday (their best hitter), and Taveras (their biggest catalyst), come into today’s game a combined 3 for 24 against him. Glavine is backed by the better bullpen, which should put pressure on the Rockies to take the lead when both starters are on the mound, or else their chances of winning this game diminishes significantly.

What to Make of the Yankees and their Line Movement
One of the biggest struggles some gamblers have is trying to decipher between price and value. Some make the mistake of automatically assuming that a high price (like the Yankees -190 today) has no value, while a big underdog always has value. That is not the case. With the way the Yankees have been playing of late, coupled with Clemens still not reaching form just yet, I could see someone make the case of that today. However, if this game were played three weeks ago, one would see at least 50 more cents added to the Yankees, and would surely be overvalued as usual. Has this drop off in price actually created value on the worst ROI team in baseball? Early money would say no, as the line quickly dropped from the open until returning back to their opening price. However, I say yes, as they get a tailor made match up for them to get a surprisingly hard to come by win. The Yankees get to face a struggling pitcher that they fundamentally match up well against (much better than the hottest pitcher in baseball that they got to in yesterday’s game). Bonser seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place, as earlier in the season he was constantly going for the strike out. Although he averaged over a strike out an inning during both the first two months of the season, his walk rate and pitch count was too much of a detriment, and the Twins felt compelled to switch his style up a bit. In June, he has been pitching for contact more, which has reduced both his strikeout rate and walk rate, but has made him far more hittable than the Twins had imagined. Teams hit well over .300 against Bonser in June, which forced him to put forth a near seven ERA during that month. During his five starts in June, he was unable to put forth one quality start, which is concerning for a young pitcher that has shown he could do such at will, as he ended last season putting forth 8 of his last nine, and went a stretch this season putting forth seven of 8. So what can we expect out of Bonser tonight? Hard to say, but we can conclude that it will be a young struggling pitcher that seems lost on the mound right now.

An Interesting Series
Orioles @ White Sox

Most people are looking at this series as a boring one, as they conclude that it is between to bottom feeder teams. However, it is an interesting one in my eyes, as it involves two teams of similar makeup. Both teams have been underachieving all season and have been plagued by some marquee injuries. Both teams have built the foundation of their lineups around veteran players past their primes and young players that have yet to reach theirs. Both teams have talented but underachieving bullpens, while both lineups have deviated from fundamental consistency and are simply not playing situational baseball. So how do you handle a series like this? Expect the unexpected, but also expect the games to be priced inefficiently as both teams are hard to value right now. Although there exists more value in other games on today’s card, game 1 in my opinion is trading off of it’s fair value, as there is slight value on the White Sox.

Tokens
Interesting writeups. Agree on the Mets play. As a Spankees fan, I can see them getting to Boof today but don't think Roger will be that great either. Maybe 5.2ip-4er. I am looking at the Over in that game because I don't think both pitchers will have their best stuff today. Orioles/WS is def a tough series and I am looking at the under tonight there, think both pitcher should do a good job of keeping runs off the board

Tokens
Solid writeups as always Buffett. I completely agree about the Mets, but have been surprised by how much that number has fallen. With the way they have played on the road this year, and with the lack of success the Rockies have had against lefties I was left scratching my head wondering what it is people are seeing that I was missing. Your writeup was definitely encouraging in that respect.

The other two writeups were great as well. The difference between price and value is definitely an important one, and one that I've been struggling with today. The Yankees do have a very good matchup in this one, but seeing a team that is 4 games under .500 favored that big against a team that is 4 games over .500 definitely gives the appearance of value. I still haven't decided whether to make a play on the Twins (couldn't see myself laying that juice on the Yankees), but I guess a lot depends on what the line ends up at. BOL today Buffett.

Tokens
Solid writeups as always Buffett. I completely agree about the Mets, but have been surprised by how much that number has fallen. With the way they have played on the road this year, and with the lack of success the Rockies have had against lefties I was left scratching my head wondering what it is people are seeing that I was missing. Your writeup was definitely encouraging in that respect.

The other two writeups were great as well. The difference between price and value is definitely an important one, and one that I've been struggling with today. The Yankees do have a very good matchup in this one, but seeing a team that is 4 games under .500 favored that big against a team that is 4 games over .500 definitely gives the appearance of value. I still haven't decided whether to make a play on the Twins (couldn't see myself laying that juice on the Yankees), but I guess a lot depends on what the line ends up at. BOL today Buffett.

Thanks Jibba. Best of luck to you as well.

Tokens
Buffett...thoughts on Phillies/Astros and Tampa/Clev?

Both are no plays for me.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
As far as the Astros game, I value them at -102 and the Phillies at +102, so the line is pretty efficiently set. Needless to say, it is an interesting match up as it consists of to savvy veteran fly ball pitchers pitching in nightmare park for their style. It is quite apparent that Williams made a mistake in wanting to pitch in his home town, as he simply needs a big park to compliment his pitching style. No surprise he has struggled this season as 13 of his 17 starts have either been at Minute Maid, Philly, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Texas</st1:place></st1:State>, Cincy, or Milw, or Wrigley, all parks unforgiving for his style. No doubt he can once again be overmatched in this one as the park and the Phillies power could do a number on him. That said, he has always been a pitcher who matches up better against left handed bats, an asset against this Phillies lineup. However, backed by a struggling Astros bullpen, the Phillies should put up some runs. I wouldn’t touch the Astros unless I could get +120 or better. Moyer has pitched well of late, but it shouldn’t last much longer. He just isn’t an ideal candidate to continue to put forth solid outings when pitching in bandbox parks such as tonight. The Astros lineup is starting to heat up and finally playing with purpose. His past numbers against the team and their hitters don’t mean much, as most were accumulated a while back. Backed by a tired and struggling bullpen, and he might be left out to dry in today’s start. Wouldn’t touch the Phillies unless I am getting +126.
No play.
<o:p> </o:p>
Not surprised that the Indians are overvalued against as struggling Drays ball club, but I am a bit surprised it is not by much more. I valued them at -176, but require a high margin of safety on the Devil Rays with the way they have been playing of late and it being a big bounceback start for Carmona. The Indians are a dangerous team to lay such odds on, as although their offense can explode on any elite pitcher, they could also go dormant on not so talented ones. They have looked much better at the plate than what they have shown in recent series. Carmona is a risk in this spot as well. Remember last year the Indians wanted to make a closer out of him because they liked his stuff so much. But it was his mental makeup, not handling pressure and lack of confidence that made him a disaster in big spots. This may play a role in tonight’s game, as his confidence he gathered with a solid start to the season may have taken a nose dive with his last outing. He may try too hard or may lack the confidence on the mound in tonight’s start. He is a type of pitcher that I would rather back coming off a decent outing than a poor one, because I am not sure if he has the mental makeup of an ideal bounce back starter.
No play.
Good luck.

Tokens
agree on that cle game. carmona has not been as sharp in his last 3 starts, he has potential, but his is not consistent yet. tampa has not played well only winning 1 this year from cle, but 4 of 6 are 1 run victories, and the other 2 are 2 runs, could swing either way. cle is overvalued here.

Tokens
Where do you sit on the Braves/Dodgers game?

Line got pounded down real quick to -112, now back up to -122. Dodgers have def edge in bullpen here as they don't lose when winning after the 6th inning. Both pitchers have success vs. opponent and have verrrry similar numbers this yr although Lowe has been better lately.. Braves cross country travel and although both teams are 5-5 in their L10 games, the Dodgers have looked better losing imo.. Thoughts here?

Tokens
Where do you sit on the Braves/Dodgers game?

Line got pounded down real quick to -112, now back up to -122. Dodgers have def edge in bullpen here as they don't lose when winning after the 6th inning. Both pitchers have success vs. opponent and have verrrry similar numbers this yr although Lowe has been better lately.. Braves cross country travel and although both teams are 5-5 in their L10 games, the Dodgers have looked better losing imo.. Thoughts here?

It seems like the line has finally caught up to Lowe, as no other pitcher in baseball other than he and Lowry has consistently had a higher disparity between intrinsic value and market price-until tonight. It appears that Lowe is finally being recognized in the top tier status he deserves, as a pitcher that has been undervalued against sub par pitching and teams is fairly valued against a popular team and pitcher in Smoltz. I value the line as the Dodgers -110/Braves +110. In general, when you have a game consisting of two of the better pitchers in the league, you usually see the line set about right. Both pitchers have the ability to curtail each lineups respected strengths, and appears to be a type of game in which one bad pitch can prove to be really costly.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Maybe the Dodgers have looked slightly better than the Braves in their last ten games, but the Braves have looked much better in the last five.
No play for me, but should be a good game to watch.
Good luck.

Tokens
Appreciate the answer. I feel like if I was going to play the Dodgers it should of been when the line dropped to -112 and not at -124 where it is now.

I am on the Mets but seems like 99.9% of posters on these forums are as well.

Tokens
Got one more for ya..

I just ran some through some numbers and I think KC should be favored here by the slimest of margins. Yes Seattle is 5-1 in the series this yr and yes they pounded Meche for 11 hits over 4.1innings in a 10-3 romp last time both of these pitchers faced off in KC but Meche is the more reliable and better pitcher this yr overall. He is home as well so I really don't think he should be a dog, granted he is a small dog. Meche has better era this yr/last 3, better whip this yr/last 3, he pitches better at home than Felix does away. You have to also think Meche wants to rebound vs. his former team in this situation since he did pitch so poorly last time vs. them but he also has a start with 6ip-10h-3r-0er-2bb-5k in Seattle vs them which was a win. Other notes, Meche was +112 at home last start vs. Felix and +105 on the road in the previous start vs. Seattle. Other things to consider is that the Mariners are 9-1 in their last 10 except that all of those games came at home and they are a .500 ball club on the road this yr. Add in the travel with out Hargrove, I just don't see this team getting up for this game.

Snake
Tokens
Should be a bewildered Mariner squad still scratching their heads over the managerial change, so I agree. FWIW.

Tokens
Got one more for ya..

I just ran some through some numbers and I think KC should be favored here by the slimest of margins. Yes Seattle is 5-1 in the series this yr and yes they pounded Meche for 11 hits over 4.1innings in a 10-3 romp last time both of these pitchers faced off in KC but Meche is the more reliable and better pitcher this yr overall. He is home as well so I really don't think he should be a dog, granted he is a small dog. Meche has better era this yr/last 3, better whip this yr/last 3, he pitches better at home than Felix does away. You have to also think Meche wants to rebound vs. his former team in this situation since he did pitch so poorly last time vs. them but he also has a start with 6ip-10h-3r-0er-2bb-5k in Seattle vs them which was a win. Other notes, Meche was +112 at home last start vs. Felix and +105 on the road in the previous start vs. Seattle. Other things to consider is that the Mariners are 9-1 in their last 10 except that all of those games came at home and they are a .500 ball club on the road this yr. Add in the travel with out Hargrove, I just don't see this team getting up for this game.

I have come up with a different valuation in this game and feel that the Mariners are trading at a price at most online shops to warrant a play. That said, there is not a game on today’s card with more intangibles that may have an influence on the outcome, and as we know, the more intangibles a game possesses, the more scrutiny the valuation is subject too.
Some of the intangibles that may make this game deviate from fundamental form are the following:
1.) Meche’s mental state. The Mariners pitching coach admitted last year that almost all the trouble and downward trends Meche gets himself into is due to a lack of mental strength. This was quite apparent with by his horrible struggles that lasted a month at a time, while going on dominant stretches that lasted longer than usual. It was also apparent due to the high disparity between home and road productivity as a Mariner. I am mentioning this because we do not know what kind of a mental effect pitching to his former team has one him. Although in his first outing against them this year he didn’t allow an earned run, it was when he was in top form, was in a park he has had great success in, and he did allow ten hits and two walks in just six innings of work- which lead me to believe potential struggles against the Mariners could occur. That they did, as his last start against them, he was not in as good of form, and has been in his new home park in which he has shown signs of “over pitching in”, and allowed seven runs in four innings of work. Since that start, Meche has not been terribly effective, so he could be in for another bad day.
2.) The Hargrove Effect: Now that the Mariners are away from home and the shock of his resignation may have worn off, it hard to say what kind of effect his departure will have on the team today. All I know, with a team playing this well, they did not need such a distraction.
3.) Momentum Effect: The team’s chemistry has never been this high, and it has especially shown late in games where they have managed to win games they shouldn’t. How much longer can this effect last? Not sure, but yesterday’s game in which they could have easily lost was another sign that it is still there.
4) Felix’s Mechanics- His mechanics regressed again in his last start, and made his fastball a liability. His confidence has been higher, and we can only guess whether he will return to form- or get another start of the underachieving Felix.
It should be an interesting game that can be affected by any of these intangibles. However, the Mariners are trading at a low enough price to warrant a play on them in my opinion.
Good luck.

Snake
Tokens
BG, I don't know if you'll see this in time, but off the earlier writeup, are the White Sox a play for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com