Emmenecker MVP as Drake ends drought in MVC.

Search

Tokens
Drake completed its improbable clean sweep in the Missouri Valley Conference. So did former walk-on and bench-warmer Adam Emmenecker.

Emmenecker added the conference tournament MVP to his regular-season MVP yesterday, finishing up a dazzling weekend with 16 points and six assists in the No. 20 Bulldogs' 79-49 rout of Illinois State in the title game in St. Louis.

Drake's first postseason championship in the 32-year-old Valley tournament appeared just as unlikely a prospect back in November.
"We thought that maybe by his senior year he could start for us," coach Keno Davis said. "But I never had any idea he could do this.

"He's exceeded all of our expectations, kind of like our team has."

Jonathan Cox had 20 points and Klayton Korver added 10 for Drake (28-4), which shot 55.6 percent and became the first school to sweep the regular-season and tournament titles since co-champ Creighton in 2002.

The 6-foot-1-inch Emmenecker had two career starts before emerging his senior season. He had his first career rebounds-points double double in the quarterfinals, and a little-man double double with 20 points and 11 assists in the semifinals.

Boston Globe..

--------------------------------------

Definitely a team to watch in the upcoming Big Dance...

wil..

Tokens
Drake completed its improbable clean sweep in the Missouri Valley Conference. So did former walk-on and bench-warmer Adam Emmenecker.

Emmenecker added the conference tournament MVP to his regular-season MVP yesterday, finishing up a dazzling weekend with 16 points and six assists in the No. 20 Bulldogs' 79-49 rout of Illinois State in the title game in St. Louis.

Drake's first postseason championship in the 32-year-old Valley tournament appeared just as unlikely a prospect back in November.
"We thought that maybe by his senior year he could start for us," coach Keno Davis said. "But I never had any idea he could do this.

"He's exceeded all of our expectations, kind of like our team has."

Jonathan Cox had 20 points and Klayton Korver added 10 for Drake (28-4), which shot 55.6 percent and became the first school to sweep the regular-season and tournament titles since co-champ Creighton in 2002.

The 6-foot-1-inch Emmenecker had two career starts before emerging his senior season. He had his first career rebounds-points double double in the quarterfinals, and a little-man double double with 20 points and 11 assists in the semifinals.

Boston Globe..

--------------------------------------

Definitely a team to watch in the upcoming Big Dance...

wil..

The so called experts, i.e. Jay Bilas and the likes have given the Bulldogs zero credit all year. I hope they come out and just throttle some people in the tournament. They are a great shooting team who could give a top team troubles if they win their first couple of games. Nice story for the state of Iowa since our 2 main universities teams suck so bad.

Tokens
The so called experts, i.e. Jay Bilas and the likes have given the Bulldogs zero credit all year. I hope they come out and just throttle some people in the tournament. They are a great shooting team who could give a top team troubles if they win their first couple of games. Nice story for the state of Iowa since our 2 main universities teams suck so bad.

:103631605

Hawkeye171 and myself are hoping they come to Tampa for the first round.........we will reserve a ticket for you.

What's interesting, grew up much more of a Drake basketball fan than ISU or IOWA(1968-1973)..............sure you can remember watching the MVC game of the week on one of our 3 local channels. The MVC was one of the top conferences, if not the best, during this timeframe. It's hard to imagine that Drake has not made the Big Dance since 1971.

Cy- Do you remember when they use to run the famous "Drake four corner offense"? Think our high school ran a version of that if I remember correctly.

Tokens
Amazing thing about him is that he has never made a three pointer in his career. For relatively slow point guard it is amazing what he has done this year considering he cannot shoot a lick from deep. Also amazing how bad the coaching is in this piece of shit overrated conference to not find a way to stop him. Letting him get in the lane and create is ridiculous when you can just completely sag off him.

Tokens
I watched the isu drake game this weekend on tv.I was quite impressed with the kid and whoever wore the #24 jersey, man he was flaming some threes

Tokens
Royalfan - I have to disagree about the coaching in the MVC.

Kimbo Davis has already been discussed in other threads.

Perhaps you should take another look at the head coaches in the MVC.

Illinois st. - Tim Jankovich - Jankovich was an assistant basketball coach at Kansas for four years, and has also served under current Kansas head coach Bill Self at Kansas and Illinois. He has also served as an assistant coach at Kansas State, Colorado State, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Vanderbilt. He played college basketball at Kansas State.

While at Colorado State, his teams posted three consecutive winning seasons en route to the best period of college basketball in school history. He also served for four years as the head basketball coach at North Texas. The team had gone 5-22 the previous season, but Jankovich engineered the second largest turnaround in the nation that year.

Southern Illinois - Chris Lowery - Lowery played at Southern Illinois starting in 1990 and later became an assistant coach, eventually serving under Bruce Weber at SIU and moving with him to Illinois after the 2002-03 season. On April 9, 2004, Lowery was named the head coach of SIU's men's basketball team after head coach Matt Painter left to become an associate head coach-in-waiting to Gene Keady at Purdue.

On March 1, 2007, Lowery was named Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year after leading SIU to a 25-5 regular season record. A highlight win for the season was when they beat highly ranked Butler on the road. The Salukis received a number 4 seed in the 2007 NCAA Tournament, the highest for any Valley team since Indiana State received a 1-seed in 1979.

On April 2, 2007, Lowery signed a seven-year contract extension. The Southern Illinois University will pay him $750,000 annually.

Creighton - Dana Altman - Altman in his 13 years at Creighton ranks third all-time on the coaching victories list in the 99-year history of the Missouri Valley Conference, trailing only Hall of Fame coaches Henry Iba and Eddie Hickey. His record in 13 seasons with the Creighton Bluejays is 260-141; his total record in 18 seasons as a Division I head coach is 343-208.
During his time at Creighton University, his athletes had earned three All-American honors on the court and three other Academic All-America laurels in the classroom. Two players he had coached at Creighton, Kyle Korver and Rodney Buford, have played in the NBA.

Altman was named MVC Coach of the Year twice; 2001 and 2002. Altman was a finalist for the prestigious Naismith National Coach of the Year and named the NABC District 12 and USBWA District VI Coach of the Year in 2002-03.

Northern Iowa - Ben Jacobson - Jacobson was hired as University of Northern Iowa head mens basketball coach on March 22, 2006, becoming the 21st head coach in UNI history.

He finished his first campaign at the helm of UNI with an 18-13 record. The 18 wins were the most for a first-year Panther head coach since the team joined the Division I ranks in 1981. In addition, UNI posted wins over Iowa State and Iowa sweeping the Cylcones and Hawkeyes in the same season for just the second time ever including posting a win in Iowa City for the first time in program history.

Before taking over as head coach, Jacobson was the Panthers top assistant coach since 2001, and was a key cog in bringing the Panthers from the basement of the Missouri Valley Conference to the penthouse. He's been involved in every aspect of the UNI program including being chief recruiter for most players on UNI roster.

With Jacobson on staff, the development of UNI basketball has been remarkable. Consider that during the past four years alone, UNI has captured its first MVC tournament title. Made three NCAA tournament appearances, including receiving two at-large bids. Posted three 20-win seasons. Had the school's first-ever Division I top 25 ranking. Had four first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference selections

Bradley Jim Les - In 2003 Les returned to his alma mater as head coach, where he led Bradley to an improved record in each of his first two seasons. The Bradley Braves advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA tournament in 2006.

Missopuri St - Barry Hinson - A dificult situation led to Hinson being fired as Missouri State's coach a few days ago. The dismissal came two days after Missouri State lost to Illinois State in the Missouri Valley tournament, but rumors of his departure had swirled for weeks and the specter of his job status has hung over the program for several years.

Frustration from the fan base and donors led to Hinson's demise, despite just one losing season in nine years at the Bears' helm. Missouri State averaged 18.8 wins per season under Hinson. The Bears had four postseason appearances under Hinson.

Indiana St. - Kevin McKenna - McKenna was hired in March 2007. Despite that, Indiana State won two more games overall and three more in the conference than the previous season. The Sycamores moved from 10th to seventh in the final standings.

The Sycamores began to master McKenna's spread offense as the 2007-08 season progressed. Defensively, Indiana State never got a handle on some of the presses McKenna wanted to implement, but did do a good job adjusting to his switching defenses, a departure from ex-coach Royce Waltman's strict and single minded tactics.

Whicita St - Gregg Marshall - Marshall accepted the Wichita State University coaching position on April 14th, 2007, having previously coached at Winthrop University for nine seasons.

In his nine seasons as head coach at Winthrop, Marshall led the Eagles to seven NCAA tournament appearances and transformed a previously undistinguished program into a mid-major powerhouse. In his first season at Winthrop, the 1998-99 season, he compiled a record of 19-8, 9-1 in Big South Conference play, giving the Eagles their first regular season Big South title. They went on to win the Big South Conference Tournament, earning the Eagles their first ever bid to the NCAA Tournament. As a 16 seed, the team lost to the #1 seed Auburn Tigers in the first round, 80-41.

Since his first season at Winthrop, Marshall has led the team to regular season titles six times, won the Big South Tournament five times, has had five 20-win seasons, was named Big South Coach of the Year three times, and in 2006, surpassed Nield Gordon as the all-time winningest coach in Winthrop men's basketball history.

In the 2006-07 season, Marshall became the first coach in the history of the Big South Conference to have his team go undefeated in conference games. In 2007, he also became the first Big South coach to win an NCAA first round tournament game by defeating 6-seed Notre Dame.

However his tenure at Whicita St got off to a tragic start. During a recruiting trip last April, watched signee Guy Alang-Ntang die on the court during a pickup game. Marshall's tenure at WSU started with that sad tone. Other issues pale in comparison, but misfortune hit the Shockers with alarming regularity all season.

Evansville - Marty Simmons - Simmons is back home. He was one of the best basketball players in University of Evansville history in the 1980s, and helped lead the Purple Aces to three NCAA Tournament appearances as an assistant coach in the 1990s. Now he is back at Evansville as men’s basketball head coach at the age of 42. Simmons replaces Steve Merfeld, who resigned March 3 after posting a 54-91 record over the past five years.

wil..

Tokens
I know, there is good coaching, no choice but to follow the conference closely, living in Omaha. Seriously though, each and every staff did a horrific job defending Drake. It is not that tough. Don't leave the shooters and give Emmenecker all kinds of space so he can't get by and kick. Yet nobody did that, aparently thinking he can shoot and he can't.

Pump n Dump
Tokens
Wil,

Who is this "Kimbo Davis" you write about? Does he headline MMA events and coach MVC hoops?

:lolBIG:

Tokens
LEYKIS101 - Sorry it's Kino Davis, head coach at Drake.

Royalfan, given the coaching prowess in the MVC I am sure the idea of playing Emmenecker by every way possible was tried at one time of another. Sometime an athelete comes along that just finds ways to do what it takes to win no matter what kind of defense is used against him.
Personally I blieve blaming bad coaching for being responsible for the kid having such a fantastic season is IMO unfair and inaccuarate.

wil.

PS. the real key to Emmenecker's game was his conference leading 199 assists (6.2 apg) and excellent shooting from the floor 48.8% and FT line 82.6%.

Last edited:

Tokens
LEYKIS101 - Sorry it's Kino Davis, head coach at Drake.

Royalfan, given the coaching prowess in the MVC I am sure the idea of playing Emmenecker by every way possible was tried at one time of another. Sometime an athelete comes along that just finds ways to do what it takes to win no matter what kind of defense is used against him.
Personally I blieve blaming bad coaching for being responsible for the kid having such a fantastic season is IMO unfair and inaccuarate.

wil.

PS. the real key to Emmenecker's game was his conference leading 199 assists (6.2 apg) and excellent shooting from the floor 48.8% and FT line 82.6%.

Not taking away anything from him Wil that is for sure. He is a tough minded, although not very talented guy that you have to admire. Already has a great finance job lined up at some fortune 500 company as well. However, I watched 6 or so of their games and never once saw that strategy I decribed employed. I highly doubt you are more familiar with the situation than me, living right here in Creighton country, but maybe you can enlighten me on when this was implemented.

Tokens
Royalfan

Natrually living where I do I haven't seen Drake or any other MVC team play near as many times as you have. However I am no beginner when it comes to basketball and the nuances of the game. Drake put together a team this year that enabled their point guard to become conference and tourney MVP and it was not because the opposing coaches were stupid.

With players who can shoot as well as Jonathan Cox, Josh Young, Leonard Houston and Klayton Korver (all monsters from behind the arc) it is hard to implement any kind of special defense that keyed on Emmenecker, who while avereging only 8.5 PPG was more concerend on dishing the ball (6.2 APG) to any one of the above four. Sag off him and you have a shooter who hit a very dangerous 48.8% from the floor all inside the arc.

With the shooting talent on that team it came down to a pick your poison for opposing defenses. Emmenecker had 199 assists on the year to only 99 turnovers for a very fine for a point guard 2 to 1 ratio.

Compare those numbers to Maryland's PG Greivis Vasquez's 211 assists to go with 138 TOs and you can see how valuable EMM. was as a ball handler.

Personally I think Keno Davis with a huge assist from his father Dr. Tom Davis built one hell of a basketball team at Drake even in as you put it "a piece of shit overated conference".

We are not talking about Kansas, Iowa or even Kansas St here but Drake and as a college basketball fan I think it is great to see a school like Drake do so well for a change.

Anyway, lets see what happens to the Bulldogs in the tournament.

Also amazing how bad the coaching is in this piece of shit overrated conference to not find a way to stop him. Letting him get in the lane and create is ridiculous when you can just completely sag off him.<!-- / message -->

wil.

Tokens
Appreciate the efforts, but I already know everything you just posted. But he is not a good perimiter shooter. People didn't sag off. Majority of his shots were layups as they played him too tight. Guy missed every three he has ever taken which shows he can't shoot yet they try to pressure him anyway adding fuel to the fire.

Tokens
and dont take this the wrong way, I like the guy and the team. Fun to watch, it is very similar to european basketball.

Tokens
royalfan

Guy missed every three he has ever taken which shows he can't shoot yet they try to pressure him anyway adding fuel to the fire.

True - Adam went 0 for 2 this entire season, 0 for 1 last year and 0 for 1 as a sophmore for a total of 4 attempts (all mises) from behind the 3 point arc in his career to date.. His ability to shoot threes is pretty much a moot point esepecially when you have 3 point shooters (with their %) from behind the line like Josh Young 44.6%, Leonard Houston 35.3%, Jon Cox 42.6% and Klayton Korver 33.6% all spotting up waiting for a feed. Emmenecker only took more than 10 shots in a game once this year (13 on Feb.2nd against Indiana St.). Shooting the rock is not what made him a double MVP..

A good question for anyone who folows MVC basketball..

How does a team that finishes seventh last year then loses four starters from that team suddenly come out of nowhere and dominate a conference like Drake did the MVC this year?

Sure they are small and will find some tough sledding defending teams that hit the offensive boards hard in the tournament and very well may go 1 and out (like 31 other teams will) but the 2007/2008 basketball season won't be forgotten for a long time in Des Moines, Iowa.

Just winning outright on the floor for the first time in school history in Iowa City was enough to make the season memorable.

wil..

Tokens
A major reason is the younger Davis let them play more, giving them confidence to pull the trigger when open. Great job of implemeting Euro style offense, great spacing to go with it.

Tokens
A trip down memory lane.............

Drake Celebrates Reunion of Legendary Final Four Team

Members of the 1968-69 Drake University basketball team, which posted a school-record 26-5 mark en route to reaching the NCAA Final Four, were recognized on campus Dec. 12 and 13.

After finishing last in the Missouri Valley Conference in 1967 the Bulldogs placed third in the 1969 NCAA Tournament and were ranked No. 3 in the final Associated Press poll.

The Bulldogs went 22-4 during the regular season, earning a share of the Missouri Valley Conference title. Drake claimed a 77-73 playoff victory past Louisville that put the Bulldogs into the NCAA Tournament for the first time. Drake beat Colorado State, 84-77, in the championship of the Midwest Regional to advance to the Final Four.

Drake gave eventual national champion UCLA all it could handle in the semifinal round of the NCAA Final Four before falling, 85-82. The Bulldogs rebounded to whip North Carolina, 104-84, in the third-place consolation game.

Maury John was named the National Coach of the Year by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association. Guard Willie McCarter, a two-time, first-team All-MVC choice, earned All-American honors by the Helms Athletic Foundation. Forward Willie Wise would go on to a distinguished career with the Utah Stars of the American Basketball Association.

Tokens
Fish, you forgot Dolph Pulliam

Dolph Pulliam, a member of Drake's 1969 Final Four team who serves as a radio color man at Drake now.

Part team ambassador and part fashion icon, Pulliam links Drake's past and present. Pulliam, who wears a blue leather suit has become a icon for the team. He always wears that suit during games, ever since he bought it about three seasons ago. Hopefully he will get to wear the suit a few more times this month.

Pulliam.jpg

Dolph Pulliam. I couldn't find a pic with the blue suit.

wil..

Tokens
Action during the UCLA - Drake semi final in the 1969 Final Four.

LewAlcindor12006.jpg

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, then known as Lew Alcindor is pictured here blocking a shot against Drake in the 1969 NCAA tournament. UCLA barely won in what turned out to be one of the 3 or 4 closest games in Jabbar's three year career at UCLA 85-82.

wil..

Tokens
Dolph is a tremendous class act.........he used to do a childrens variety show in the 70's shrotly after his collegiate playing days.

Probably Drake basketballs #1 spokesperson of all-time.

Getting back to that Final Four team of 1969, their Coach Maury John, could best be described as a poor mans John Wooden. This guy could flat out coach and has to be one of the most underrated coaches of all-time at the NCAA level.

Tokens
Dolph is a tremendous class act.........he used to do a childrens variety show in the 70's shrotly after his collegiate playing days.

Probably Drake basketballs #1 spokesperson of all-time.

Getting back to that Final Four team of 1969, their Coach Maury John, could best be described as a poor mans John Wooden. This guy could flat out coach and has to be one of the most underrated coaches of all-time at the NCAA level.

What is often not known is that Drake made the ELITE EIGHT in the two seasons after their Final Four appearance.

<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%"><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffdd99"><TD>1968–1969</TD><TD>Drake</TD><TD>26-5</TD><TD>13-3</TD><TD>1st</TD><TD>NCAA, Third Place</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffdd99"><TD>1969–1970</TD><TD>Drake</TD><TD>22-7</TD><TD>14-2</TD><TD>1st</TD><TD>NCAA, Elite Eight</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffdd99"><TD>1970–1971</TD><TD>Drake</TD><TD>21-8</TD><TD>9-5</TD><TD>1st</TD><TD>NCAA, Elite Eight</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They were definetly one of the elite programs in the country under Coach John...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com