Anyone play simulated computer sports games?

Search

Rx Wizard
Tokens
Looking into some baseball games and football games. I have never played before but cant get over the realism of them nowadays.

Not looking into the Madden type game where you actually control the players actions based on how skillfull you are with the controller (not even sure if that is what it is called anymore, LOL) but looking at the games that are pure strategy type games.

Not sure if this is geeky but as a baseball fan I thought it would be fun to re-create my favorite team this season (Detroit Tigers) and play it throughout the summer. I have researched this pretty throughouly and have my list narrowed down to a few different games. I was really surpised on how many are out there.

Would love to hear if anyone else plays these and if they have any advice or thoughts on them. I could see myself sitting down to play this and getting bored right away and quitting. Seems alot more fun to me than fantasy sports though, so I thought I may give it a try as I am into the strategy and statistical part of sports. Grew up a huge Strat-O Matic fan but havent played in years and cant see myself sitting down at a table to play that but the computer versions look so in-depth I think it could be fun.

Rx Wizard
Tokens
Santo,
Out of the Park is probably the one I am leaning towards getting, that or Dynasty baseball.

You play them?

I am almost for sure for football I am going to get Front Office Football. Seems to be everyones choice as the best football game. You ever heard of them?

Rx Wizard
Tokens
Check out www.whatifsports.com

I think you will like their concept ...

I have tried it. I am looking to coach a team play by play and making the off the field moves. I may be wrong but I think that sites focuses on who would win in certain matchups, which is still cool but I am looking for something a little more in-depth from a playing the game strategy wise point.

Tokens
I play in an online league that uses an old version of OOTP - http://www.daishi.co.uk. I've not played the game itself solo in several years (I tend to either play Football Manager or Civ4 when I'm not doing work-related gaming), but I know people who do play them and they still reckon it's the best on the market.

Front Office Football and Football Mogul are the two US Football products. I've tried both and found both incredibly boring.

I say vee cut off your Chonson !!!!
Tokens
Looking into some baseball games and football games. I have never played before but cant get over the realism of them nowadays.

Not looking into the Madden type game where you actually control the players actions based on how skillfull you are with the controller (not even sure if that is what it is called anymore, LOL) but looking at the games that are pure strategy type games.

Not sure if this is geeky but as a baseball fan I thought it would be fun to re-create my favorite team this season (Detroit Tigers) and play it throughout the summer. I have researched this pretty throughouly and have my list narrowed down to a few different games. I was really surpised on how many are out there.

Would love to hear if anyone else plays these and if they have any advice or thoughts on them. I could see myself sitting down to play this and getting bored right away and quitting. Seems alot more fun to me than fantasy sports though, so I thought I may give it a try as I am into the strategy and statistical part of sports. Grew up a huge Strat-O Matic fan but havent played in years and cant see myself sitting down at a table to play that but the computer versions look so in-depth I think it could be fun.

You may still want to look into Madden then. Both Madden and the Ncaa Football games have a "Coach Career" mode , where you can play the roll of Coach/Gm/Owner etc ... and simulate all your games ... without ever having to actually control physically one single play. Its actually probaly the way to go ....

Tokens
ICEMAN--Look no further than Imagine Sports

I participate there on a daily basis in basketball and baseball leagues.

Check this link out, as Team FISHHEAD was able to win a World Series title at IS...............

http://www.imaginesports.com/bball/team/postseason_recap?curTeam=VXLWBYL4D2XTD9GBTG3N

If you need any help with the strategies, just let me know, as this game is VERY detailed and realistic like no other that I have found. If interested, I can develop a custom league for us to play in and others here at TheRX also.

Tokens
ICEMAN--Look no further than Imagine Sports

I participate there on a daily basis in basketball and baseball leagues.

Check this link out, as Team FISHHEAD was able to win a World Series title at IS...............

http://www.imaginesports.com/bball/team/postseason_recap?curTeam=VXLWBYL4D2XTD9GBTG3N

If you need any help with the strategies, just let me know, as this game is VERY detailed and realistic like no other that I have found. If interested, I can develop a custom league for us to play in and others here at TheRX also.

In fact, we should definetly have an RX league, and as stated, I can set up a custom league with passwords for RXers..........this would be very competitive for Rxers, as this game has it all at a very, very reasonable price......and one can win credits for making the playoffs and/or throwing no-hitters, 4 hr games, etc., etc..........and one gets a free team if they win the championship. The FISHHEAD B's had a no-hitter thrown by Chris Haney during the regular season, even though he walked a batter and allowed a run. :)

Tokens
One can play for free here by clicking this link below and trying the free trial..........

Keep in mind, having a real team involves a boatload of strategy compared to the free trial...........such as managing a pitching rotation, dealing with injuries, salaries, free agents, setting lineups and bench, etc., etc.

http://www.imaginesports.com/

Tokens
ESPN

The 2007 postseason has produced one of the more intriguing World Series matchups of recent years: the hot-hitting Boston Red Sox, fresh off yet another dramatic ALCS comeback, against the Colorado Rockies, winners of 21 of their last 22, but hardly "fresh" after a lengthy layoff following their NLCS sweep.
<!-- start sidebar table -->
Imagine Sports

The simulations were done using the Diamond Mind Baseball software, which was developed by renowned baseball statistics expert Tom Tippett. Diamond Mind is now widely regarded as the most sophisticated and realistic baseball simulation software and was named PC Magazine's "Editor's Choice" for pc-based baseball software.
Diamond Mind is now owned by Imagine Sports, a Silicon Valley-based Internet company developing multiplayer online simulation games, including Diamond Mind Online, an online baseball management game licensed and promoted by MLB Advanced Media.

We previously employed our Diamond Mind simulation software to project the results of the four Division Series and two League Championship Series. We projected the Red Sox and Yankees as ALDS winners, and the Rockies and Cubs to win in the NLDS, but with one caveat -- winning the first game of a best-of-five series gave a team such an advantage that it shifted the odds in favor of the underdogs if they drew first blood, particularly given the pitching matchups. For example, the Yankees and the Cubs dropped their openers and ended up getting eliminated.

Our LCS projections for ESPN.com were even more on target. Not only did they indicate that the Rockies and Red Sox would win, but that the Rockies would do so fairly easily, while the Red Sox probably would need seven games to defeat the Indians.

Before revealing our World Series simulation results, here is a brief recap of our methodology:

• Before the postseason got under way, we updated our projections and ratings for each player based on his 2007 regular-season performance.

• Before running our simulations for each series, based on the information available at the time and using our best judgment, we set the teams' starting rotations, batting orders, bullpen and bench roles.

• Then we played each series 1,000 times.

As we noted in our previous articles for ESPN.com, luck plays an even greater role in a short series than it does during the regular season, which itself can be rather unpredictable. With that in mind, the results of our simulations project the Red Sox to reprise their 2004 championship and defeat the Rockies. In fact, Boston won over 70 percent of our 1,000 series simulations, the largest winning margin of any of our 2007 postseason projections:

<!-- begin table --><TABLE class="tablehead widetable" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=9><CENTER>ROCKIES VS. RED SOX</CENTER></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top>
<TD>BOS in 4</TD><TD>BOS in 5</TD><TD>BOS in 6</TD><TD>BOS in 7</TD><TD>COL in 7</TD><TD>COL in 6</TD><TD>COL in 5</TD><TD>COL in 4</TD><TD>Overall</TD>
</TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top>
<TD>105</TD><TD>182</TD><TD>201</TD><TD>215</TD><TD>83</TD><TD>100</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>703-297</TD>
</TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end table -->

Over our 1,000 series simulations, the Red Sox averaged 4.81 runs per game to just 4.09 for the Rockies, which is equivalent to 779 and 663 runs, respectively, over a 162-game season. A 779-663 run differential equates to a record of 94-68, a .580 winning percentage, using Bill James' Pythagorean formula for projecting team wins based on runs scored. Sure enough, Boston's aggregate record against Colorado over1,000 simulated series was 3,341-2,417 (.580).

There are, however, a number of features presented by this series capable of confounding any attempt to project or predict the outcome:

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
7049.jpg
Youkilis

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) -->
The Designated Hitter

In Colorado, there won't be a DH, which will present Red Sox manager Terry Francona with a dilemma: send Kevin Youkilis (who banged out 14 hits in the LCS against Cleveland) to the bench and play David Ortiz (with his bad knee and weak defense) at first base? Or use Ortiz and Youkilis in a platoon? If Ortiz plays first base, could Youkilis be shifted to third, weakening another position defensively and benching Mike Lowell (and his team-leading 120 RBIs during the regular season)? We chose to start Ortiz at first base in all three games in Colorado, but then tried a few other combinations as well. However, it made little difference to the outcome. For example, when we started Youkilis instead of Ortiz, Boston actually increased its series edge from 703-297 to 707-293.

The Layoff

The Rockies have won a remarkable 21 of their last 22 games, but will not have played for nine days when the first pitch is thrown on Wednesday. Our simulation does not factor in any effect for that unprecedented layoff, nor is the projected performance of players or teams in the simulation influenced by the fact that they may be in the midst of a streak or slump.

The Weather

Our Diamond Mind simulation software does include weather effects, so seasonably chilly weather in Boston and Denver did affect the results of our series simulations. Nevertheless, unseasonably cold (or warm) weather, including gusty wind and snow, could affect the series in a number of ways, such as causing postponements that might allow Josh Beckett to start three series games on full rest.

6770.jpg
Fogg

As good as Colorado's pitching has been in its Cinderella run to the World Series, our simulations suggest that the Red Sox will turn giant-killer Josh Fogg (6.43 ERA in our simulations) and flame-throwing youngster Ubaldo Jimenez (5.19) back into pumpkins. While Ortiz and Manny Ramirez both continued their postseason assault against the Rockies in our simulations, it was Lowell's .304 batting average that led the way for Boston, with substantial contributions from Dustin Pedroia (.292) and Jacoby Ellsbury (.286).

In our ALCS simulations, we projected that one key to a Red Sox victory might be that their pitching would control Travis Hafner -- he averaged .227 in our simulations, and he hit just .148 in the series. In our World Series simulations, Matt Holliday (.292) and Todd Helton (.286) were productive offensively for the Rockies, but Boston's pitching managed to hold Brad Hawpe (.250), Troy Tulowitzki (.238) and Kazuo Matsui (.280 OBP) in check.

A short series often will produce standout performances, sometimes from unlikely sources (like David Eckstein in last year's World Series). Imagine if a series actually were replayed 1,000 times, which is more postseason series than have been played throughout the entire history of Major League Baseball: the odds of something extraordinary occurring would increase significantly. Here are some of the more spectacular performances from our 1,000 series simulations:

• No pitcher on either team threw two shutouts in even a single series out of 1,000. Interestingly, though, the pitcher to come closest to the feat wasn't Josh Beckett, but veteran Curt Schilling, who in one of our simulations had two complete-game victories in which he allowed just one run total.

• Ortiz belted five homers in four different series simulations.

6133.jpg
Lowell

• Mike Lowell had one 18- and two 16-hit series.

Willy Taveras, perhaps as unlikely a potential series MVP as Eckstein, had two scintillating series, tallying 19 hits in one and 16 hits in another.

If the Rockies were to defeat the Red Sox, it may be Holliday, however, who carries them to victory. Over our 1,000 series simulations, Holliday had one series with 17 hits and three with 16; he hit five home runs in five different series; and he registered one 15-, one 14- and two 13-RBI series.

Winning Game 1 of a short series is such an advantage that it frequently will shift the odds in favor of an underdog. In our simulations, Beckett and the Red Sox bested Jeff Francis and the Rockies in Game 1 59.5 percent of the time. Simulating the series 1,000 times after a Game 1 Boston win put the Red Sox in a commanding position, with an 81.4-percent likelihood of winning and a 15-percent chance of a sweep:

<!-- begin table --><TABLE class="tablehead widetable" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=9><CENTER>ROCKIES VS. RED SOX</CENTER></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top>
<TD>BOS in 4</TD><TD>BOS in 5</TD><TD>BOS in 6</TD><TD>BOS in 7</TD><TD>COL in 7</TD><TD>COL in 6</TD><TD>COL in 5</TD><TD>COL in 4</TD><TD>Overall</TD>
<TD>150</TD><TD>234</TD><TD>236</TD>
<TD>194</TD><TD>78</TD><TD>75</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>814-186</TD>

On the other hand, if Francis and the Rockies best Beckett and the Red Sox in Game 1, the odds get much better for the Rockies, with the Series essentially becoming a toss-up. Still, Boston enters the series with such a substantial projected edge that the Red Sox remain very slight favorites, winning the series 50.9 percent of the time even if they drop the opener, compared to the Rockies winning it 49.1 percent of the time:

<TD>0</TD><TD>186</TD><TD>188</TD><TD>235</TD>
<TD>111</TD><TD>125</TD><TD>145</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>509-491</TD>

If the Rockies are to overcome the odds and win the World Series in their first attempt, the key might be to overcome the postseason dominance of Josh Beckett and the rust of a eight-day layoff to win Game 1. The bottom line, however, is that Imagine Sports projects another championship for Red Sox Nation -- their second in four years -- with their victory most likely coming at Fenway Park in six or seven games but with a decent chance that Boston could take it in four or five games.

Postscript

Hold the presses!

After we'd run and analyzed the results of our simulations, the Red Sox and Rockies each announced changes to their playoff rosters and pitching rotations: Boston removed Tim Wakefield from its World Series roster, with Jon Lester the likely Game 4 starter, and Colorado activated Aaron Cook, who is slated to start Game 4 in place of Franklin Morales.

7951.jpg
Morales

We ran our simulations again to reflect these changes, and the advantage was even more decidedly in favor of the Red Sox. With Game 4 being a matchup of Lester against Cook instead of Wakefield against Morales, Boston's edge over 1,000 series simulations increased from 703-297 to 720-280 and raised the likelihood of Boston sweeping or winning in five games from 28.7 percent to 32.2 percent. Furthermore, the Series changes from a virtual toss-up if the Rockies win Game 1 (509-491, Boston) to a more significant Red Sox advantage (542-458) in that scenario.

The last-minute changes to the rosters and rotations appear to have increased Boston's advantage, possibly because of the Rockies' dropping Morales in favor of Cook. Ironically, Morales -- now in the Rockies' bullpen -- threw the only no-hitter in our original simulation runs.
As a result, we still see the Red Sox winning in six games, but there is now a more substantial possibility that Boston will take it in four or five

ECS

Cincinnati: F U Mike Brown
Tokens
I play at WIS, to be honest I think the place sucks but I can't find any place better. The admin their is a **** and even though half of the time their shit is messed up, they will have some lame excuse defending it.

Tokens
Have a copy of MLB Mogul 2007. Very fun simulation game.

I say vee cut off your Chonson !!!!
Tokens
I have Madden2008 but I haven't personally played the coach mode. Heres the excerpt for the GM mode from the EA website ...

good point dickyw free advertising.........nice catch

All-New Front Office Mode
Take full control of every aspect of an NFL franchise. Construct a state-of-the-art stadium, hire your coaching staff, draft players, and manage the entire operation from the top down to build your dynasty.

also EAsports has a game called "Head Coach" ... Which is probably more so what you are looking for.

Heres a link to the Preview of the game

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nflheadcoach09/news.html?sid=6186736

Tokens
Have tried no less than ten simulated sports type games since the invent of the internet.....and nothing has come close to ImagineSports.........and the price to play is considerably low for the amount of enjoyment you will recieve from the game.

Again, take a look at their site and let me know if you would like to join a custom baseball league with other RXers(Iceman, I've already got you penciled in) and don't forget to try the free trial to get somewhat of a grip on how fantastic this game is.

I really can't say enough great things about this game, its community, and all the facets involved in it.

Five star rating

As Billsfan will attest, I spend as much time at ImagineSports as TheRx........that should give all an indication of how super this game is.

FH

Rx Wizard
Tokens
Fishhead,
It's official now, you are either a long lost brother or somehow must be related to me.:lolBIG: This is almost starting to get scary.

I was in a rush yesterday when I posted I liked Dynasty sports, I meant Diamond Mind sports was the name of one of the 3 baseball games I was looking at, not Dynasty. The thing I am confused with now is Imagine and Diamond Mind the same? In my research I read the ESPN article at Diamond Mind sports.

Another thing, I can't see the links you are sending me. They need passwords but from everything you have said and from what I have read it looks EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I think you and I have talked in the past about Strat-O-Matic. Loved (and that is an understatement) that game growing up but want to play something a little more advanced nowadays and was surprised how many of these type games are out there and how advanced they look.

Do you ever play the game (Imagine) on your own? Are you just in leagues and if so how do those games play out against other players? I wouldnt mind doing that also. One of the main reasons I looked into this is becasue I honestly want to play the 2008 Detroit Tigers over the summer, have you ever done anything like this? Fantasy sports like Rotissereie dont really don't anything for me.

Thanks again buddy:toast:

Tokens
Fishhead,
It's official now, you are either a long lost brother or somehow must be related to me.:lolBIG: This is almost starting to get scary.

I was in a rush yesterday when I posted I liked Dynasty sports, I meant Diamond Mind sports was the name of one of the 3 baseball games I was looking at, not Dynasty. The thing I am confused with now is Imagine and Diamond Mind the same? In my research I read the ESPN article at Diamond Mind sports.

Another thing, I can't see the links you are sending me. They need passwords but from everything you have said and from what I have read it looks EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I think you and I have talked in the past about Strat-O-Matic. Loved (and that is an understatement) that game growing up but want to play something a little more advanced nowadays and was surprised how many of these type games are out there and how advanced they look.

Do you ever play the game (Imagine) on your own? Are you just in leagues and if so how do those games play out against other players? I wouldnt mind doing that also. One of the main reasons I looked into this is becasue I honestly want to play the 2008 Detroit Tigers over the summer, have you ever done anything like this? Fantasy sports like Rotissereie dont really don't anything for me.

Thanks again buddy:toast:

Type in Imagine Sports into GOOGLE..........this will take you to their homepage.

It will be very hard to describe this game in its entirity on this forum(would have to type all day).......

The online game deals with past players, not current, but the home "disc" game allows you to do a current team. The ONLINE game is the NUTS! You will see every play has it happens(broadcast) and they just started an online version where you play an opponent LIVE, which is awesome.

Take a close look at this game and I will be happy to answer questions about the game for you and others........check out their message boards, they are very helpful.......concentrate on their main forum, the ADVICE forum, and the ARTICLES forum. I have many posts there..........just type in FISHHEAD in their search engine and you will see that I'm sicker than you ever imagined(no pun intended). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElmaODrisc
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com