Forum: OFFSHORE FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The internet's most popular and busiest sports betting forum. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: who was better? Maravich or Bird?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Everything's Legal in the USofA...Just don't get caught mamatried's Avatar
    A no-brainer. Bird was one of the top 5 players of all time, perhaps one of the top 3.

Not even close.

RX Junior
    what a crazy question.....bird was the best ever,despite his lack of defense...pistol pete was a gunner.....and the best ever in college...come on viejo,he was a gunner playing for his dad and shooting 40 shots a game

Everything's Legal in the USofA...Just don't get caught mamatried's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ticokev View Post
    what a crazy question.....bird was the best ever,despite his lack of defense...pistol pete was a gunner.....and the best ever in college...come on viejo,he was a gunner playing for his dad and shooting 40 shots a game

Yes, and for those who forget, Larry Bird virtually singlehandedly took INDIANA STATE to the NCAA finals.

[ debut tonight at 9 pm ]

Documentary on ‘Pistol’ Pete Maravich to premiere on the SEC Network

10:50 a.m. Thursday, March 1, 2018 Sports

SPORTS
    Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
    ATLANTA - JANRUARY: Atlanta Hawks Guard Pistol Pete Maravich talks with his Coach Cotton Fitzsimmons during the Hawks NBA game in Janruary 1974 at the Omni Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo By Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

In the middle of March Madness, the SEC Network will broadcast a retrospective documentary at the life of former LSU and Atlanta Hawks player “Pistol” Pete Maravich in “Maravich.”

The newest chapter of ESPN Films’ “SEC Storied” will premiere on March 12 at 9 p.m. and will look at one of college basketball’s most interesting personalities whose life ended at the age of 40 in 1988.

After three seasons at LSU, Maravich was selected third overall by the Hawks in the 1970 NBA Draft and spent 11 seasons in the NBA. As a pro, Maravich was voted a five-time NBA All Star, two-time NBA First Team and earned an NBA All-Rookie First Team nomination while playing with the Hawks, New Orleans and Utah Jazz and Boston Celtics. His No. 7 has been retired by the Jazz and Pelicans and his No. 44 has been retired by the Hawks.

The documentary, directed by Fritz Mitchell— a Peabody Award and Emmy winner— will cover the tragedy in Maravich’s life including his struggle with alcoholism and his mother’s suicide through ultimately finding hope through Christianity and becoming a preacher before he died on the basketball court after a pickup game.

RX Junior
    I grew up watching Larry Bird and Magic Johnson compete. Those teams put the NBA where it is today. Bird would be part of the best starting 5 of all time, as well as Magic. I saw Maravich when he was injured and old with the Celtics. You could tell he was great. How great? We will never know, his teams sucked and his game was tailored to a one man show out of necessity. Bird for me.

RX Local
    Pistol Pete left us at a young age 41

Heck of a college player also

Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    Bird was the greater pro of the two...Pistol Pete was the greatest college player that I have ever seen..big difference...

Rail is a very disturbed individual...Bird was no ball hog...
    Bird was so good, the first time he stepped on the parquet you knew he was that good.

Bill Walton Might be the greatest college player ever though
    Make O'Kane Great Again !

Rx. Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatried View Post
    A no-brainer. Bird was one of the top 5 players of all time, perhaps one of the top 3.

Not even close.
    agree

Jordan
    Kareem
    Bird

RX Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    Bird was the greater pro of the two...Pistol Pete was the greatest college player that I have ever seen..big difference...

Rail is a very disturbed individual...Bird was no ball hog...
    100% agree with all 3 statements.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory Willie99's Avatar
    Home of Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun & Looney Libs
    Larry won NBA titles and led Indiana St to the national championship game

Pistol Pete made a lot of shots
    "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter". "A rising tide raises all boats". "MAGA"

Bird

As far as NBA careers go, one shouldn't have to even ask the question.

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by raiders72 View Post
    agree

Jordan
    Kareem
    Bird
    Lebron is getting up there - after Jordan it's to say

This thread started out about Bird and Maravich,, Like VD said Pistol Pete,was maybe the best college basketball player in his time.He avg. 44 pts a game and was a 77% free throw shooter,...in the NBA he did play on some poor teams and had to do what he can,but in the NBA he avg. 24.4 pts a game and shot 82 % at the free throw line,....but for people who never seen his movie called THE PISTOL,watch it,it is one fantastic movie and there is no way it can't get to you.

Bird in college avg,30 ppg and was a 82% free throw shooter,but only played 3 years of college ball.......in the NBA Bird did a lot more but he was also a 24.3 ppg and he was a 88% free throw shooter,he also avg.6 assists per game,8.0 DRB,and 2.0 ORB,and a 37% 3 pt shooter,...so when Bird played in the NBA he had the 3 pt shot in the game then,...he also had some killer teammates like Dave Cowens,Robert Parish,Tiny Archibald,Kevin McHale,Dennis Johnson,and Bill Walton,......so if you compare them in the NBA their stats are about the same except Birds teams won championships,and Maravich was the better college player,....i loved both,so i won't even try to say who i like most,just two incredible people and great players
    Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by thekeyman View Post
    This thread started out about Bird and Maravich,, Like VD said Pistol Pete,was maybe the best college basketball player in his time.He avg. 44 pts a game and was a 77% free throw shooter,...in the NBA he did play on some poor teams and had to do what he can,but in the NBA he avg. 24.4 pts a game and shot 82 % at the free throw line,....but for people who never seen his movie called THE PISTOL,watch it,it is one fantastic movie and there is no way it can't get to you.

Bird in college avg,30 ppg and was a 82% free throw shooter,but only played 3 years of college ball.......in the NBA Bird did a lot more but he was also a 24.3 ppg and he was a 88% free throw shooter,he also avg.6 assists per game,8.0 DRB,and 2.0 ORB,and a 37% 3 pt shooter,...so when Bird played in the NBA he had the 3 pt shot in the game then,...he also had some killer teammates like Dave Cowens,Robert Parish,Tiny Archibald,Kevin McHale,Dennis Johnson,and Bill Walton,......so if you compare them in the NBA their stats are about the same except Birds teams won championships,and Maravich was the better college player,....i loved both,so i won't even try to say who i like most,just two incredible people and great players
    I like them both, but the year Maravich finally started playing team ball in the NBA, he blew out his knee. Who knows what could have been... and Birds career ended way too early from back and foot issues

Quote Originally Posted by thekeyman View Post

Btw, Bird and Cowens played I think one season together, and Walton only played 90 games for the Celtics over 3 seasons.

i never saw maravich play but i did see bird and im biased just on what bird could do on the court, whenever he wanted. ive seen enough documentaries on him being from boston. he was ridiculous with a basketball. im sure i posted this way back many year ago, this is just an example of how good he was. nevermind the 3 pt contests he would win and talk shit before he ever stepped out on the court. i believe but dont quote me, that mchale had broken the celts record only days before and bird told him to enjoy it bc it wasnt his for long then he went out and did this. bird made it seem easy and he played the game where you felt he had much more in the tank if he really needed it.

the hawks bench tells you everything you need to know about why bird is considered one of the top players ever to hold a basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rto2_oYVs0I