Anyone here thinks Jake Peavy is the most overrated pitcher in baseball?

Search

Tokens
I didn't know who this guy was until last year when he was pitching very good and ended up winning the NL Cy Young award with a 19-6 record. Think his E.RA. was under 3 which is very good.

Last year i always thought he was overrated b/c he pitched half of his games at Petco Park. Yes i know he had low run support b/c he pitched for the padres but look at where he pitches.

This year he is 9-9 with an E.R.A around 3. I have tried to convince myself that he is one of the better pitchers in baseball but i just cannot. I believe he is overrated mainly b/c his home games are at petco. I mean look at what this guy has done when pitching AWAY from home. This guy is average at best away from home. I would say he is below average. I really wanted to see how good this guy is when he pitches away from home or against good teams.

3 matchups this year i was excited b/c i wanted to see how he does. Earlier in the year he was a small dog against the Cubbies at Wrigley. I think he gave up like 5 runs in less than 5 innings of work and lost.

Then the next game i watched was him pitching at Yankee Stadium. He was an underdog and lost to the Yankees and pitched a below average game and lost. He gave up at least 4 runs in less than 5 innings.

Then he pitched at home against Brandon Webb at home ... was small favorite and lost the game 2-1.

Tonight he was a moderate dog at +140 i think and lost to the Dbacks with Haren on the mound.

After looking at all of this, I cannot see how this guy is considered by many to be one of the best pitchers in baseball. I mean he is LIGHTS OUT at Petco Park but the thing is WHO ISN'T? Most of his wins this year was at Petco against trash teams like the San Francisco Giants and LA Dodgers. I like Peavy but the thing is he is extremely overrated. Only way he pitches great is if he pitches at Petco park OR pitches away games against a CRAP team like the Pirates.

Many people might say injuries but i dont buy it. Look what happened last year. The Cy young winner pitched a one game playoff against the Rockies at Coors and got lit up. I think he gave up 6 runs in 5 innings or something to that effect.

If you have guys like Halladay, CC, Kazmir pitch half their games at Petco field, I am damn sure they wont be giving up more than 2 runs a game at home and their e.r.a would be even lower than peavys.

People say Peavy is good b/c look at his E.R.A. Well his e.r.a is pretty easy to get when 1/2 of his games are played at friendly petco field. I have not seen this guy once have a good game against a good team AND/OR done it away from petco.

I mean if he isnt pitching at petco, hes pitching at Giants stadium and at Dodger stadium. Both stadiums are pitchers ballparks. If guys like Lackey , and Zambrano pitched there... their e.r.a might be 2.00 and under.

Anyone here agree? I dont like to soudn like i hate peavy. I like this guy a lot and want him to show ppl he is one of the best but I have not seen one time where he has bought his A game against a good team where he doesnt pitch at Petco OR against a good team like the Cubbies at Wrigley. He pitches below average. Even tonight he gives up 6 runs i think to the Dbacks who isnt hitting that good.

Tokens
i think something might be wrong with him....stuff not as sharp. Def not the peavy from a few yrs ago

Tokens
He is having an off year. His numbers last year on the road were better than his home numbers.

Tokens
what do you mean peavy from a few years ago. I dont think he was ever good until last year.

Even with his 19-6 record, he didnt pitch good against decent teams. His division was against those Giants and Dodgers.

OTK

A goal without a plan is just a wish.
Tokens
If anything he is underrated. Best pitcher in the league along with Halladay and Santana. He has been dominant again this year with an ERA under 3. If he played the entire season he'd probably win another Cy Young award.

Obviously you are overreacting like most do because you lost a bet on the Padres tonight. The fact is there is not a pitcher I would rather have on my team, except for maybe Doc.

Tokens
He's having an off year and his ERA is still leading the NL. I think that says he's not overrated.

Tokens
what do you mean peavy from a few years ago. I dont think he was ever good until last year.

Even with his 19-6 record, he didnt pitch good against decent teams. His division was against those Giants and Dodgers.

are you shitting me? check out h/per9 and k/per9 and then say he wasnt ""that good"

OTK

Tokens

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg1" align="left"><td>Year</td><td>Team</td><td>W</td><td>L</td><td>ERA</td><td>G</td><td>GS</td><td>CG</td><td>SHO</td><td>SV</td><td>SVO</td><td>INN</td><td>H</td><td>R</td><td>ER</td><td>HR</td><td>HBP</td><td>BB</td><td>SO</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2002</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">7</td><td align="left"> 4.52</td><td align="left">17</td><td align="left">17</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 97.2</td><td align="left">106</td><td align="left">54</td><td align="left">49</td><td align="left">11</td><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">33</td><td align="left">90</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2003</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">12</td><td align="left">11</td><td align="left"> 4.11</td><td align="left">32</td><td align="left">32</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 194.2</td><td align="left">173</td><td align="left">94</td><td align="left">89</td><td align="left">33</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">82</td><td align="left">156</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2004</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">15</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left"> 2.27</td><td align="left">27</td><td align="left">27</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 166.1</td><td align="left">146</td><td align="left">49</td><td align="left">42</td><td align="left">13</td><td align="left">11</td><td align="left">53</td><td align="left">173</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2005</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">13</td><td align="left">7</td><td align="left"> 2.88</td><td align="left">30</td><td align="left">30</td><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">3</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 203.0</td><td align="left">162</td><td align="left">70</td><td align="left">65</td><td align="left">18</td><td align="left">7</td><td align="left">50</td><td align="left">216</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2006</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">11</td><td align="left">14</td><td align="left"> 4.09</td><td align="left">32</td><td align="left">32</td><td align="left">2</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 202.1</td><td align="left">187</td><td align="left">93</td><td align="left">92</td><td align="left">23</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">62</td><td align="left">215</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2007</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">19</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left"> 2.54</td><td align="left">34</td><td align="left">34</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 223.1</td><td align="left">169</td><td align="left">67</td><td align="left">63</td><td align="left">13</td><td align="left">6</td><td align="left">68</td><td align="left">240</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td align="left">2008</td><td align="left">SD</td><td align="left">9</td><td align="left">8</td><td align="left"> 2.61</td><td align="left">21</td><td align="left">21</td><td align="left">1</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left">0</td><td align="left"> 134.2</td><td align="left">112</td><td align="left">40</td><td align="left">39</td><td align="left">13</td><td align="left">5</td><td align="left">41</td><td align="left">133</td></tr><tr id="total" class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="middle"><td class="bg4" align="left">Total</td><td class="bg4" align="left"> </td><td class="bg4" align="left">85</td><td class="bg4" align="left">59</td><td class="bg4" align="left"> 3.23</td><td class="bg4" align="left">193</td><td class="bg4" align="left">193</td><td class="bg4" align="left">6</td><td class="bg4" align="left">3</td><td class="bg4" align="left">0</td><td class="bg4" align="left">0</td><td class="bg4" align="left">1222.0</td><td class="bg4" align="left">1055</td><td class="bg4" align="left">467</td><td class="bg4" align="left">439</td><td class="bg4" align="left">124</td><td class="bg4" align="left">44</td><td class="bg4" align="left">389</td><td class="bg4" align="left">1223</td></tr></tbody></table>
Yep, clearly never good before last year. With a career ERA of 3.23 I'm surprised the guy still has a job.

Tokens
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Year</TD><TD>Team</TD><TD>W</TD><TD>L</TD><TD>ERA</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>CG</TD><TD>SHO</TD><TD>SV</TD><TD>SVO</TD><TD>INN</TD><TD>H</TD><TD>R</TD><TD>ER</TD><TD>HR</TD><TD>HBP</TD><TD>BB</TD><TD>SO</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=left>4.52</TD><TD align=left>17</TD><TD align=left>17</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>97.2</TD><TD align=left>106</TD><TD align=left>54</TD><TD align=left>49</TD><TD align=left>11</TD><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=left>33</TD><TD align=left>90</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>12</TD><TD align=left>11</TD><TD align=left>4.11</TD><TD align=left>32</TD><TD align=left>32</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>194.2</TD><TD align=left>173</TD><TD align=left>94</TD><TD align=left>89</TD><TD align=left>33</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left>82</TD><TD align=left>156</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>15</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left>2.27</TD><TD align=left>27</TD><TD align=left>27</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>166.1</TD><TD align=left>146</TD><TD align=left>49</TD><TD align=left>42</TD><TD align=left>13</TD><TD align=left>11</TD><TD align=left>53</TD><TD align=left>173</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>13</TD><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=left>2.88</TD><TD align=left>30</TD><TD align=left>30</TD><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>203.0</TD><TD align=left>162</TD><TD align=left>70</TD><TD align=left>65</TD><TD align=left>18</TD><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=left>50</TD><TD align=left>216</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>11</TD><TD align=left>14</TD><TD align=left>4.09</TD><TD align=left>32</TD><TD align=left>32</TD><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>202.1</TD><TD align=left>187</TD><TD align=left>93</TD><TD align=left>92</TD><TD align=left>23</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left>62</TD><TD align=left>215</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>19</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left>2.54</TD><TD align=left>34</TD><TD align=left>34</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>223.1</TD><TD align=left>169</TD><TD align=left>67</TD><TD align=left>63</TD><TD align=left>13</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left>68</TD><TD align=left>240</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=left>SD</TD><TD align=left>9</TD><TD align=left>8</TD><TD align=left>2.61</TD><TD align=left>21</TD><TD align=left>21</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>134.2</TD><TD align=left>112</TD><TD align=left>40</TD><TD align=left>39</TD><TD align=left>13</TD><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=left>41</TD><TD align=left>133</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg4 align=left>Total</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left></TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>85</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>59</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>3.23</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>193</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>193</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>6</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>3</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>0</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>0</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>1222.0</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>1055</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>467</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>439</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>124</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>44</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>389</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left>1223</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Yep, clearly never good before last year. With a career ERA of 3.23 I'm surprised the guy still has a job.
i know...this guy start watching ball this year? for a 2-3 year span he MIGHT have been the most dominate pitcher in baseball.

Tokens
OTK, i did not bet on the Padres tonight. I should have wrote this as the first sentence in my thread so ppl like you wont say stuff like this b/c this is what most of you ppl keep inferring.

The only bet that i was thinking about putting in that game was the under 7 but didnt bet it We all know how that went lol.

Anyways my point is, he leads in the NL in ERA b/c 1/2 of his games are petco field period. If he pitched for any other team in baseball besides the Giants and Dodgers... mainly b/c those ball parks are pitcher ballparks just not as good as Petco, we know his ERA will be no where near the numbers he is putting now.

I mean against the Yankees,Cubbiess and the Dbacks away from home and giving up at least 5 runs in each of these games shows he is just average away from Petco Park.

I can assure you guys this guys E.R.A will be around 4 and a bit over if he did not pitched for the padres or any of these teams with pitcher ballparks.

Of course Doc Halladay is better than Peavy. Santana, CC, Harden, Lincecum, Lackey, Webb, Haren are all better than Peavy. Look at what CC has done for the Brewers and we all know Milwaukee is not what we call a pitcher ball park.

Tokens
in 2007- 169 hits allowed in 223 innings, and more than a k a inning. Not to mention a 4-1 k/bb ratio. Also 3 straight years of 200+ innings. Guys a workhorse. He just has no support this year.

Tokens
I have been watching MLB for a very long time. I know Peavy is lights out only at Petco Field. He is nothing better than average away from home.

Besides last year, can you tell me if he better or worst at home in the 2004 and 2005 season? I see he has a 2.27 ERA in 2004 but do you know where i can see the teams he played against and if it was at home or away? I can pretty much be sure he did way better at home

Tokens
i would take Peavy over lincecumb, webb, harden, and lackey anyday in a game 7....you put peavy on the angels, dbacks, cubs, or brewers and i garuntee this thread wouldnt even exist.

OTK

Tokens

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
Home 14 14 7 3 0 0 0 85.1 72 23 21 4 31 95 2.21 1.21 .226
Away 13 13 8 3 0 0 0 81.0 74 26 21 9 22 78 2.33 1.19 .246

Those good enough road numbers for you?

OTK

Tokens

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
Home 17 17 7 3 0 1 1 115.1 87 38 36 12 27 130 2.81 0.99 .208
Away 13 13 6 4 0 2 2 87.2 75 32 29 6 23 86 2.98 1.12 .229

How about those?

Tokens
I like Danny Haren but no way is he better than Peavy. Lincecum is great but lets see how he does for a few more years. I would take Peavy over any of the pitchers you listed except Halladay. Rich Harden is awesome when healthy and he's the only other guy I would consider but given he's hurt so much I would rather have Peavy. How many wins would Peavy have if he played on a team that could ever score any runs for him? A couple years ago he had a so so record and unreal ERA because all his games were 1-0 or 2-1.

OTK, i did not bet on the Padres tonight. I should have wrote this as the first sentence in my thread so ppl like you wont say stuff like this b/c this is what most of you ppl keep inferring.

The only bet that i was thinking about putting in that game was the under 7 but didnt bet it We all know how that went lol.

Anyways my point is, he leads in the NL in ERA b/c 1/2 of his games are petco field period. If he pitched for any other team in baseball besides the Giants and Dodgers... mainly b/c those ball parks are pitcher ballparks just not as good as Petco, we know his ERA will be no where near the numbers he is putting now.

I mean against the Yankees,Cubbiess and the Dbacks away from home and giving up at least 5 runs in each of these games shows he is just average away from Petco Park.

I can assure you guys this guys E.R.A will be around 4 and a bit over if he did not pitched for the padres or any of these teams with pitcher ballparks.

Of course Doc Halladay is better than Peavy. Santana, CC, Harden, Lincecum, Lackey, Webb, Haren are all better than Peavy. Look at what CC has done for the Brewers and we all know Milwaukee is not what we call a pitcher ball park.

Tokens
well said King.

i would take Peavy over lincecumb, webb, harden, and lackey anyday in a game 7....you put peavy on the angels, dbacks, cubs, or brewers and i garuntee this thread wouldnt even exist.

Tokens
Yes wallybell i agree. Most of his 2-1 and 1-0 games were b/c his team gives him support.

But do you ever think Petco Field helped him a lot? Same with playing away at Giant Stadium and Dodger stadium. Those sure help his E.R.A.

OTK do you know what site you can use that shows his game results for every game he has pitched since he has been in the majors. Such as his innings pitched, walk, strikeouts and runs allowed along with whether his team wining/losing.

I like covers.com but it only shows for 2008.

thanks.

Tokens
Go to the yahoo baseball page. You can look at every start he's ever made. Just because he had a bad night tonight doesn't mean he's overrated. Every pitcher in baseball regardless of how good they are have bad nights. The best pitcher in baseball will lose several games per year. I always laugh at people who get mad at a pitcher because he has one bad start out of four yet a hitter can go hitless one night and come back tomorrow with three hits and all is forgotten. Pitching is tough, if you have a bad night you can't come back tomorrow like the hitter can, you have to wait four days to pitch again. The fact that Peavy going into tonight had the best ERA in the National League and the discussion is whether he's having an off year or whether he's that good says it all. If during an off year you can lead the league in ERA then I would say that's one helluva pitcher.

Yes wallybell i agree. Most of his 2-1 and 1-0 games were b/c his team gives him support.

But do you ever think Petco Field helped him a lot? Same with playing away at Giant Stadium and Dodger stadium. Those sure help his E.R.A.

OTK do you know what site you can use that shows his game results for every game he has pitched since he has been in the majors. Such as his innings pitched, walk, strikeouts and runs allowed along with whether his team wining/losing.

I like covers.com but it only shows for 2008.

thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com