Red Sox Back in 1st w/ 6 Homers

Search
Tokens
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Jason Bay, Jason Varitek, Kevin Youkilis and, finally, Jacoby Ellsbury.
Home run by home run, the surging Boston Red Sox pulled closer to first place in the AL East during a 13-5 victory over the division-leading Tampa Bay Rays and All-Star Scott Kazmir on Monday night.The defending World Series champions won for the first time in seven games at Tropicana Field this season, climbing within percentage points (.002) of the Rays for the first time in two months.The Rays (88-60) went 21-7 in August and were a season-high 5 1/2 games up on Boston heading into September. They're 4-9 this month, with six of the losses coming against the Red Sox and Yankees, who took two of three from Tampa Bay over the weekend.The Red Sox (89-61), on the other hand, have won three straight and 10 of 14 in September to get as close to the lead as they've been since mid-July, when they erased a five-game deficit in a week to pull ahead by a half game at the All-Star break.Ortiz, who finished with four RBIs, hit a three-run homer in the first inning after Kazmir (11-7) threw nine straight balls to begin the game. Two batters later, Lowell hit a solo shot for a 4-0 lead.The Red Sox added seven more runs in the fourth, helping Daisuke Matsuzaka (17-2) become the first Japanese-born pitcher to win 17 games in a season. Hideo Nomo won 16 games for the Los Angeles Dodgers three times (1996, 2002, 2003).Bay and Varitek homered in the fourth off Kazmir, who allowed nine runs and six hits in three-plus innings -- his shortest outing of the season. The four homers he yielded were a career high.Youkilis hit his 26th homer, a two-run blast in the fourth, and added a RBI double in the sixth, both off Mitch Talbot. Ellsbury also homered off Talbot to give the Red Sox a 12-1 lead in the fifth.The six homers were the most the Red Sox have hit in a game since Aug. 3, 2003, when they went deep six times against Baltimore.Matsuzaka, who has won six consecutive decisions since last losing on July 28, allowed Akinori Iwamura's solo homer and two singles in five innings. Justin Ruggiano and Dan Johnson hit two-run homers off Red Sox reliever Chris Smith.Mike Timlin pitched the eighth for Boston, making his 1,051st relief appearance -- an all-time record for right-handed relievers. He had been tied with Kent Tekulve.Game notes
Ortiz was 7-for-37 with one homer and five RBIs lifetime against Kazmir before his first-inning homer. ... Kazmir had not allowed a home run to a left-handed batter since Baltimore's Aubrey Huff homered at Tropicana Field on Sept. 4, 2007. ... Ortiz moved ahead of Edgar Martinez into sole possession of second place all-time for home runs as a designated hitter with 244. ... Rays CF B.J. Upton, who hasn't played since Sept. 8 because of a strained left quad, could begin taking batting practice on Tuesday. ... Boston OF J.D. Drew, who left the team to attend his grandmother's funeral, will return Tuesday. He is not expected to play in this series because of a sore back. ... Iwamura has hit four or his six home runs against Boston this season.

Penn State Alum - 2008-2009 Big Ten Champions
Tokens
Why is it that every time the Red Sox come close to first or get back in first their fans feel the need to post a thread about it?

Do Twins fans do it when they get back in first? No. White Sox fans? No. Rays fans? No. Dodgers fans? No. Mets fans? No.

So why do the Red Sox fans feel the need to let us know that they have caught back up to a team with 1/5th their payroll. A team that doesn't buy their players?

Sorry just amazing how many Boston homers there are on this site and it floods the boards. Could you imagine if every teams fans posted like Red Sox fans?

Tokens
Why is it that every time the Red Sox come close to first or get back in first their fans feel the need to post a thread about it?

Do Twins fans do it when they get back in first? No. White Sox fans? No. Rays fans? No. Dodgers fans? No. Mets fans? No.

So why do the Red Sox fans feel the need to let us know that they have caught back up to a team with 1/5th their payroll. A team that doesn't buy their players?

Sorry just amazing how many Boston homers there are on this site and it floods the boards. Could you imagine if every teams fans posted like Red Sox fans?

Dear ass-clown,

The Red Sox have been out of first for months, one post shows up in
a couple of months, and we get a whiny little bitch calling me a homer
and crying like a little pussy.

Get a fucking life.

Tokens
Dear ass-clown,

The Red Sox have been out of first for months, one post shows up in
a couple of months, and we get a whiny little bitch calling me a homer
and crying like a little pussy.

Get a fucking life.

Actually there have been plenty of threads in the last month saying how close the Red Sox were to taking over first place. There have been plenty of threads discussing how Tampa was going to collapse and the Red Sox would catch them.

After the first game in Boston there was a thread started.

Dear Homer Ass Red Sox Fan,

Who gives a flying fuck if they're back in first fucking place. Neither team will have home field advantage and both will make the playoffs. Good for the fucking Red Sox. In other news the Phillies are leading the fucking Wild Card. Holy Cow lets make a thread about it. Oh wait, that won't happen because Phillies fans know that the world doesn't revolve around, or give a fuck, about their fucking team. They also know that there's two weeks left in the season.

In other news the Red Sox have caught a team that has 1/5th their payroll. HOLY SHIT!

Good for the Red Sox now go choke on a dick. Preferably one of your Red Sox obsessions. More threads created about them and their players than anything. It's flat out annoying.

Signed,

- One of many people who DONT GIVE A FUCK about the Red Sox being tied for first.

Tokens

"A team that doesn't buy their players?"

Actually the Red Sox success is widely considered due to their
#2 rated farm system in the nation.

Keep on hating and posting whining, bitching little rants.

:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool

Red Sox Farm System Continues to Impress September 1, 2008, 10:23 pm
Filed under: Red Sox | Tags: Pedroia, Theo Epstein, Youkilis, minor league, farm system, Lowrie, Ellsbury
When Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein took over after the 2002 season, the team’s minor league system was razor thin. Players like Trot Nixon and David Eckstein had come through years before, but the front office hadn’t been able to turn that high pick into top big league talent in some time.
Epstein, who eventually replaced the forgettable Dan Duquette as GM, instantly changed the culture on Yawkey Way. In his first draft at the helm, Epstein spent a second round pick on a talented young left hander named Jon Lester. Lester, who no-hit the Royals earlier this season at Fenway Park, is a developing star and one of the most reliable starters in the current Boston rotation. Then in 2003, Epstein grabbed closer Jonathan Papelbon in the fourth round. A scrappy shortstop from Arizona State was Epstein’s first selection in ‘04, Dustin Pedroia, now a second baseman, leads the American League in hitting. Last year’s AL Rookie of the Year, Pedroia started the 2008 All-Star game for the AL, and leads the Major Leagues in hits and runs scored.
Pedroia is solid with the glove, as well as the bat

Then came the 2005 draft, Epstein’s finest as Boston’s top decision maker. Five members of that draft reached the parent club by 2008, and two of them -Jed Lowrie and Jacoby Ellsbury- are members of the Sox’s everyday lineup. Clay Buchholz was a member of the rotation for much of this season, and righty pitcher Michael Bowden made his major league debut on Friday, going five innings in a win over the Chicago White Sox. Craig Hansen, who was sent to Pittsburgh as part of the Manny Ramirez deal (along with Brandon Moss, another Epstein pick) also showed potential in the Boston bullpen. In 2006, the Red Sox selected Justin Masterson in the second round, now a key part of the team’s bullpen and probably a future member of the starting rotation.
Of course, these are just the players that have made the big club so far. The teams’ A, AA, and AAA affiliates are stocked for the future as well. Pitcher Daniel Bard appears to have major league talent, as does first baseman Lars Anderson.
Currently, four of the nine players in the Red Sox starting lineup (Ellsbury, Lowrie, Youkilis, and Pedroia) were drafted by the team. Throw Jon Lester into the rotation, Papelbon, Manny Delcarmen, and Justin Masterson into the bullpen, and homegrown talent accounts for a huge portion of the Red Sox success.

Tokens
Actually there have been plenty of threads in the last month saying how close the Red Sox were to taking over first place. There have been plenty of threads discussing how Tampa was going to collapse and the Red Sox would catch them.

After the first game in Boston there was a thread started.

Dear Homer Ass Red Sox Fan,

Who gives a flying fuck if they're back in first fucking place. Neither team will have home field advantage and both will make the playoffs. Good for the fucking Red Sox. In other news the Phillies are leading the fucking Wild Card. Holy Cow lets make a thread about it. Oh wait, that won't happen because Phillies fans know that the world doesn't revolve around, or give a fuck, about their fucking team.

Good for the Red Sox no go choke on a dick. Perferably one of your Red Sox obsessions. More threads created about them and their players than anything. It's flat out annoying.

Signed,

- One of many people who DONT GIVE A FUCK about the Red Sox being tied for first.

Don't read it then asshole. It's a free world.

You want another tissue?

Tokens
"A team that doesn't buy their players?"

Actually the Red Sox success is widely considered due to their
#2 rated farm system in the nation.

Keep on hating and posting whining, bitching little rants.

:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool

Red Sox Farm System Continues to Impress September 1, 2008, 10:23 pm
Filed under: Red Sox | Tags: Pedroia, Theo Epstein, Youkilis, minor league, farm system, Lowrie, Ellsbury
When Red Sox General Manager Theo Epstein took over after the 2002 season, the team’s minor league system was razor thin. Players like Trot Nixon and David Eckstein had come through years before, but the front office hadn’t been able to turn that high pick into top big league talent in some time.
Epstein, who eventually replaced the forgettable Dan Duquette as GM, instantly changed the culture on Yawkey Way. In his first draft at the helm, Epstein spent a second round pick on a talented young left hander named Jon Lester. Lester, who no-hit the Royals earlier this season at Fenway Park, is a developing star and one of the most reliable starters in the current Boston rotation. Then in 2003, Epstein grabbed closer Jonathan Papelbon in the fourth round. A scrappy shortstop from Arizona State was Epstein’s first selection in ‘04, Dustin Pedroia, now a second baseman, leads the American League in hitting. Last year’s AL Rookie of the Year, Pedroia started the 2008 All-Star game for the AL, and leads the Major Leagues in hits and runs scored.
Pedroia is solid with the glove, as well as the bat

Then came the 2005 draft, Epstein’s finest as Boston’s top decision maker. Five members of that draft reached the parent club by 2008, and two of them -Jed Lowrie and Jacoby Ellsbury- are members of the Sox’s everyday lineup. Clay Buchholz was a member of the rotation for much of this season, and righty pitcher Michael Bowden made his major league debut on Friday, going five innings in a win over the Chicago White Sox. Craig Hansen, who was sent to Pittsburgh as part of the Manny Ramirez deal (along with Brandon Moss, another Epstein pick) also showed potential in the Boston bullpen. In 2006, the Red Sox selected Justin Masterson in the second round, now a key part of the team’s bullpen and probably a future member of the starting rotation.
Of course, these are just the players that have made the big club so far. The teams’ A, AA, and AAA affiliates are stocked for the future as well. Pitcher Daniel Bard appears to have major league talent, as does first baseman Lars Anderson.
Currently, four of the nine players in the Red Sox starting lineup (Ellsbury, Lowrie, Youkilis, and Pedroia) were drafted by the team. Throw Jon Lester into the rotation, Papelbon, Manny Delcarmen, and Justin Masterson into the bullpen, and homegrown talent accounts for a huge portion of the Red Sox success.

Yeah their farm system that they bought. Just like the Yankee's and the Tigers. All players that fall out of their slot because of signing issues are drafted by the Yankee's and Red Sox and they go out of the money slot and fuck over the rest of the league. What's new?

I forgot though. Lowell, Ortiz, Bay (Because of Manny), Beckett, Dice K, and many more aren't important. They have the second highest payroll in baseball.

The Yankee's and Red Sox get top prospects because they get top 10 talents that other teams can't afford to sign.

Now my rant is over with and we can get along. Have a good night.

Tokens
I love it how, if one is a fan of a team, and the team is good
then --> you must be a "homer"

Wil. posts any thread about the Red Sox, and the haters come in
and call him a "homer" when Wil. is one of the most knowledgable
and considerate posters on this board.

Funny how no one calls me a Spurs "homer" when I post about the
Spurs, but if I post about the Red Sox, I'm always a "homer."

sigh.

Tokens
Yeah their farm system that they bought. Just like the Yankee's and the Tigers. All players that fall out of their slot because of signing issues are drafted by the Yankee's and Red Sox and they go out of the money slot and fuck over the rest of the league. What's new?

I forgot though. Lowell, Ortiz, Bay (Because of Manny), Beckett, Dice K, and many more aren't important. They have the second highest payroll in baseball.

The Yankee's and Red Sox get top prospects because they get top 10 talents that other teams can't afford to sign.

Now my rant is over with and we can get along. Have a good night.

So, the bottom line is, you hate the Red Sox for having money, and
being able to pay big player salaries. I understand, I hated the Yankees
for years for the same reason. I understand.

But don't call me a homer for making one post in 3 months just because
you hate the team because they have money.

I've been following the Sox since 1977 religiously. We Sox fans went
through a lot of near misses and heart-ache. Some of us aren't
band-wagon jumpers.

Tokens
I love it how, if one is a fan of a team, and the team is good
then --> you must be a "homer"

Wil. posts any thread about the Red Sox, and the haters come in
and call him a "homer" when Wil. is one of the most knowledgable
and considerate posters on this board.

Funny how no one calls me a Spurs "homer" when I post about the
Spurs, but if I post about the Red Sox, I'm always a "homer."

sigh.

You being a homer isn't the problem. It's updating us on everything that happens to the Red Sox; from where they eat dinner to the style of toilet paper they use to wipe their ass. It's not just you at all so don't get me wrong.

It doesn't happen with other teams on here; and if it does it's at a much smaller rate. The Red Sox fans feel like this is a fucking Red Sox board and it's not. Good for them and thanks for the update.

Tokens
Yankees never "bought" Jeter, Posada, Mo, Bernie, Mattingly, Pettitte, the list is endless.

Oakland never bought all those pitchers. They chose not to sign guys like Zito etc, when they became free agents.

Braves never bought Avery, Glavine and all the rest..........

FZ is a good guy, yeah, his loyalty grates on me also, but gues what? I bet my Yankee loyalty grates on others also, so it's all good.

One final point, if an owner can't compete, get the hell out then, and sell to someone who can.

Orioles suck, and Angelos can match dollar for dollar with anybody else.

Tokens
So, the bottom line is, you hate the Red Sox for having money, and
being able to pay big player salaries. I understand, I hated the Yankees
for years for the same reason. I understand.

But don't call me a homer for making one post in 3 months just because
you hate the team because they have money.

I've been following the Sox since 1977 religiously. We Sox fans went
through a lot of near misses and heart-ache. Some of us aren't
band-wagon jumpers.

Oh I'm not just calling you out bro. I'm not saying you do this all the time. I'm saying Red Sox fans in general. I'm not pissed at you because I know you don't really create that many threads. I'm talking about Red Sox fans on these forums in the last year creating threads letting us know about everything that's happened.

I'm not mad that they have money. I'm just annoyed that they get so fucking excited and talk shit about passing or beating a team that is clearly playing with an unfair advantage. Best of luck to you and I was calling out everyone who does it. Not just you at all.

Tokens
Yankees never "bought" Jeter, Posada, Mo, Bernie, Mattingly, Pettitte, the list is endless.

Oakland never bought all those pitchers. They chose not to sign guys like Zito etc, when they became free agents.

Braves never bought Avery, Glavine and all the rest..........

FZ is a good guy, yeah, his loyalty grates on me also, but gues what? I bet my Yankee loyalty grates on others also, so it's all good.

One final point, if an owner can't compete, get the hell out then, and sell to someone who can.

Orioles suck, and Angelos can match dollar for dollar with anybody else.

Bill,

Someone needs to explain to me what the difference between a fan
and a homer is. I get the feeling that if you post too much about a
team, then you're more than a fan, you're a homer?

Or - is a homer a fan of a good team, that non-fans need to call
a homer, because they're jealous because their team sucks?

I grew up in New England, and about half my friends were Sox fans,
and the other Yankee fans. We were all very devoted to our teams.
But no-one made fun of someone for being too much of a fan.. if
anything, that devotion was looked at with respect.

I don't get it.

Tokens
Oh I'm not just calling you out bro. I'm not saying you do this all the time. I'm saying Red Sox fans in general. I'm not pissed at you because I know you don't really create that many threads. I'm talking about Red Sox fans on these forums in the last year creating threads letting us know about everything that's happened.

I'm not mad that they have money. I'm just annoyed that they get so fucking excited and talk shit about passing or beating a team that is clearly playing with an unfair advantage. Best of luck to you and I was calling out everyone who does it. Not just you at all.

Ok. I apologize for getting so heated... :toast:

Tokens
For the record, I married a devout Red Sox family, I lived in Boston for 8 years, am one of the few Yankee fans accepted in the 'nation'.

My definition of homer is this, a fan of his home town team.

Anybody who doesn't get that is ignorant.

Tokens
For the record, I married a devout Red Sox family, I lived in Boston for 8 years, am one of the few Yankee fans accepted in the 'nation'.

My definition of homer is this, a fan of his home town team.

Anybody who doesn't get that is ignorant.

Well, I grew up in Vermont - where like I said, 50% of the people
were Yankee fans, and 50% were Red Sox fans... so I don't know
if that makes me a homer or not.

But, if liking the team that you grew up near makes someone a homer,
then I think there are an awful lot of homers in the world.

Seems like people in here use the term so derisively.

Tokens
Festering Zit -- Somthing to look forward to.

Penn St. Schedule this year.

Sat, Aug 30 Coastal Carolina W 66-10 --
Sat, Sep 6 Oregon State W 45-14 --
Sat, Sep 13 at Syracuse W 55-13 --
Sat, Sep 20 Temple 12:00 pm --
Sat, Sep 27 (24) Illinois 8:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 4 at Purdue TBA --
Sat, Oct 11 at (10) Wisconsin 8:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 18 Michigan 4:30 pm --
Sat, Oct 25 at (5) Ohio State 8:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 8 at Iowa TBA --
Sat, Nov 15 Indiana TBA --
Sat, Nov 22 Michigan State TBA

---------

Teams to root for ths fall.

Illinois (long shot at Beaver Stadium)
Wisconsin (good chance of a win at Camp Randall)
Michigan (toss up - never know even at Beaver Stadium with Big Blue)
Ohio St (Buckeyes should win it at home, better team despite USC game).
Iowa (Hawkeyes dog at Iowa City - stranger things have happened)
Mich St (very long shot back at Beaver)

wil..:toast:

Tokens

---------

:lol::aktion033:missingte

Tokens

---------

I guess I deserved that hahaha. Go Lions!

BTW, Iowa and Michigan State have no chance. PSU has a very good chance at winning the Big Ten. I think they're better than Wisconsin. If they didn't lose Sean Lee before the season I'd say they had a great chance of beating OSU; now I'll just say it's a good one.

Best of luck guys, and who can root for Michigan State? Come on now :lol:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com