Things to consider before throwing your money down when the game resumes.

Search

Tokens
With only 3 and a half innings to go, many things will change.

The completion of the game tentatively is scheduled for 8:37 p.m. Wednesday, weather permitting.

But it definitely looks like the game will resume tomorrow night by the weather forecast. http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USPA1276?begHour=14&begDay=303

The weather has changed now to rain on Wed as I typed this, so we will have to wait and see what and when this game resumes.

What will probably happen tomorrow.

Manuel didn't speak to reporters after Game 5 -- or in this case, in the middle of it -- but it was clear that he was unhappy about burning ace Cole Hamels with a chance to end the World Series.

Rays manager Joe Maddon said on Monday night that Grant Balfour, who pitched the fifth for Tampa Bay after starter Scott Kazmir was pulled, is his pitcher to start the sixth.
"Balfour is still in the game," Maddon said. "The game still has Grant on the lineup card. So as of right now, Grant will be pitching."
But there's an excellent chance that will change quickly.
Most of Philadelphia's dangerous pinch-hitters bat from the left side, most notably Matt Stairs. So Phillies manager Charlie Manuel will likely summon a lefty as his first hitter once the game resumes, and Maddon would likely counter with a southpaw on the mound. In fact, Maddon would be wise to warm up a lefty at the same time Balfour warms up.
Both teams have stocked bullpens, and both 'pens will have plenty of rest. No pinch-hitters have been used, and the switch from Kazmir to Balfour is the only pitching change. So both managers have a full complement of tactical options once the game gets back under way.

So in the practical sense, there's no real advantage going forward. Yet Tampa Bay has to feel on some level that it has pulled something of an escape. The Rays outlasted Hamels, and they're not behind. They may have the starting pitching advantage in Games 6 and 7, should those occur, and they'd also have home field.
"I think everybody would say that, but they're up, 3-1," said Rays reliever Trever Miller. "And those guys that we were supposed to beat, beat us. So I don't consider us favorites. Our backs are still against the wall. Just because we got a game suspended and tied it up, we haven't won that game either. We've got this thing condensed down now to hopefully coming back and playing tomorrow, three innings, the rest of the game, and winning that."
Both of these bullpens are excellent, though Philadelphia has at least one advantage in that it needs three fewer outs. The Phils also have all of their end-of-game options intact, while the Rays do not.
"We do feel good," said Phillies closer Brad Lidge. "But that being said, they have a lot of good pitchers out of their bullpen also. You never know what's going to happen in an unusual situation like this. I feel like we've got the horses to get it done, but I'm sure they do, too. It's going to be tough, but somebody's going to have to scratch out a run."
One intriguing wrinkle going forward is this. With the game not resuming before Wednesday, that means potential Games 6 and 7 would each be pushed back by at least a day. Those games were originally slated for Wednesday and Thursday.
That means that if, for whatever reason, either team preferred to use its Game 4 starter in Game 7, rather than its Game 3 starter, it would have the option. Game 4 took place on Sunday, so a Game 7 on Friday would provide four full days of rest for Joe Blanton and Andy Sonnanstine. At the very least, Blanton and Sonnanstine would be available to pitch in relief as much as needed in that game. Moreover, Hamels becomes an option for at least some work on three days' rest in such a scenario.
But first, the Rays and Phillies have to get to, and through, Game 5. That could be Wednesday -- or later. It could start with Chris Coste against Balfour, and it could start with Stairs facing David Price.

At this point, anything is possible, not surprising considering this already unique World Series game. Strong winds are in the forecast for tomorrow. 15 mph. If these winds are swirling then your crazy to bet any money on either team. Last night showed how the players were having trouble. But the only value would be to play TB at plus 150 or better.

First off the Phillies don't need his game as much as TB, because the are up 3-1, but that doesn't mean they don't want to win at home.
-160 to -170 is a lot of juice to lose in 3 innings. TB is the better value here.

I do believe that half the people here are young kids who never investigate the facts before throwing money down on a game. But are the first ones to run and bitch when things don't go their way.

Last edited:

Tokens
With only 3 and a half innings to go, many things will change.

The completion of the game tentatively is scheduled for 8:37 p.m. Wednesday, weather permitting.

But it definitely looks like the game will resume tomorrow night by the weather forecast. http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USPA1276?begHour=14&begDay=303

The weather has changed now to rain on Wed as I typed this, so we will have to wait and see what and when this game resumes.

What will probably happen tomorrow.

Manuel didn't speak to reporters after Game 5 -- or in this case, in the middle of it -- but it was clear that he was unhappy about burning ace Cole Hamels with a chance to end the World Series.

Rays manager Joe Maddon said on Monday night that Grant Balfour, who pitched the fifth for Tampa Bay after starter Scott Kazmir was pulled, is his pitcher to start the sixth.
"Balfour is still in the game," Maddon said. "The game still has Grant on the lineup card. So as of right now, Grant will be pitching."
But there's an excellent chance that will change quickly.
Most of Philadelphia's dangerous pinch-hitters bat from the left side, most notably Matt Stairs. So Phillies manager Charlie Manuel will likely summon a lefty as his first hitter once the game resumes, and Maddon would likely counter with a southpaw on the mound. In fact, Maddon would be wise to warm up a lefty at the same time Balfour warms up.
Both teams have stocked bullpens, and both 'pens will have plenty of rest. No pinch-hitters have been used, and the switch from Kazmir to Balfour is the only pitching change. So both managers have a full complement of tactical options once the game gets back under way.

So in the practical sense, there's no real advantage going forward. Yet Tampa Bay has to feel on some level that it has pulled something of an escape. The Rays outlasted Hamels, and they're not behind. They may have the starting pitching advantage in Games 6 and 7, should those occur, and they'd also have home field.
"I think everybody would say that, but they're up, 3-1," said Rays reliever Trever Miller. "And those guys that we were supposed to beat, beat us. So I don't consider us favorites. Our backs are still against the wall. Just because we got a game suspended and tied it up, we haven't won that game either. We've got this thing condensed down now to hopefully coming back and playing tomorrow, three innings, the rest of the game, and winning that."
Both of these bullpens are excellent, though Philadelphia has at least one advantage in that it needs three fewer outs. The Phils also have all of their end-of-game options intact, while the Rays do not.
"We do feel good," said Phillies closer Brad Lidge. "But that being said, they have a lot of good pitchers out of their bullpen also. You never know what's going to happen in an unusual situation like this. I feel like we've got the horses to get it done, but I'm sure they do, too. It's going to be tough, but somebody's going to have to scratch out a run."
One intriguing wrinkle going forward is this. With the game not resuming before Wednesday, that means potential Games 6 and 7 would each be pushed back by at least a day. Those games were originally slated for Wednesday and Thursday.
That means that if, for whatever reason, either team preferred to use its Game 4 starter in Game 7, rather than its Game 3 starter, it would have the option. Game 4 took place on Sunday, so a Game 7 on Friday would provide four full days of rest for Joe Blanton and Andy Sonnanstine. At the very least, Blanton and Sonnanstine would be available to pitch in relief as much as needed in that game. Moreover, Hamels becomes an option for at least some work on three days' rest in such a scenario.
But first, the Rays and Phillies have to get to, and through, Game 5. That could be Wednesday -- or later. It could start with Chris Coste against Balfour, and it could start with Stairs facing David Price.

At this point, anything is possible, not surprising considering this already unique World Series game. Strong winds are in the forecast for tomorrow. 15 mph. If these winds are swirling then your crazy to bet any money on either team. Last night showed how the players were having trouble. But the only value would be to play TB at plus 150 or better.

First off the Phillies don't need his game as much as TB, because the are up 3-1, but that doesn't mean they don't want to win at home.
-160 to -170 is a lot of juice to lose in 3 innings. TB is the better value here.

I do believe that half the people here are young kids who never investigate the facts before throwing money down on a game. But are the first ones to run and bitch when things don't go their way.

I have 200 dollars on Philly that were carried over to Wednesday

What's your opinion

Should I bet another 200 dollars on Tampa Bay to ensure that I don't lose anything

I made my bet assuming that Hamels was the pitcher

But now Its really a toss up

What's your opinion

Rx. Senior
Tokens
is my math off, or wont cole hamels have a chance to have 3, maybe even 4 days rest by game 7? i say this in response to the whole argument...

Yet Tampa Bay has to feel on some level that it has pulled something of an escape. The Rays outlasted Hamels, and they're not behind. They may have the starting pitching advantage in Games 6 and 7, should those occur, and they'd also have home field.

in addition....if for some reason they dont get the game in on wednesday......why is no one mentioning that hamels is actually still in thegame, why couldnt he hit for himself and pitch the 7th and 8th innings on 2.5 days rest? doesnt seem that far-fetched to me , it would be nearly 3 days sinc ehe last threw a pitch

Tokens
is my math off, or wont cole hamels have a chance to have 3, maybe even 4 days rest by game 7? i say this in response to the whole argument...

Yet Tampa Bay has to feel on some level that it has pulled something of an escape. The Rays outlasted Hamels, and they're not behind. They may have the starting pitching advantage in Games 6 and 7, should those occur, and they'd also have home field.

in addition....if for some reason they dont get the game in on wednesday......why is no one mentioning that hamels is actually still in thegame, why couldnt he hit for himself and pitch the 7th and 8th innings on 2.5 days rest? doesnt seem that far-fetched to me , it would be nearly 3 days sinc ehe last threw a pitch

good points. If the game had been continued tonight, I think Hamels would have been pulled for a PH, but with another night's rest, I'm not so sure that they dont go for it all and keep him in????

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens

Can't see Hamels staying in this game. But he will be rested enough to almost be at full strength if game 7 is Friday.

Rx. Senior
Tokens
Can't see Hamels staying in this game. But he will be rested enough to almost be at full strength if game 7 is Friday.

its no lock that they play tomorrow (wednesday) .....if they dont.....hed be on 3 days rest for thursday, and if he comes out.....he could easily pitch game 6......or 7

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
its no lock that they play tomorrow (wednesday) .....if they dont.....hed be on 3 days rest for thursday, and if he comes out.....he could easily pitch game 6......or 7
Thursday would be 2 days rest. That just doesn't work. 3 is tough enough. Besides, they need a bat more than they need him in such a short game. Not worth it to bat for himself. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it being possible. Phils take series, though. No way he loses game 7.

Tokens
im not really sure theres any advantage for tampa i mean they have 3 more at bats and atleast 1 will be against lidge who is virtually unhittable right now i believe tampa has to go to price and just hope they somehow squeeze a run out

Tokens
they will play tonight...simple as... I am looking out my window and it will be fine...cold,but fine....

All this talk about game 7 cracks me up...

It ends tonight...

4 at bats to 3
heart of our lineup guaranteed twice to Rays only once
superior,rested bullpen
Hamels could still start it, tho he is due up first,probably won't happen

phils win 5-2

Forget this game 7 hogwash please, Rays are showing their youth and will give in again...

:pope:

Tokens
I totally disagree with this thread. Due up for the Phillies are the 9,1,2 in the bottom of the 6th. Right away the Phillies are going to go up and send in a PH for Hamels. That may or may not cause the Rays to goto the pen. If the Rays do goto the pen then whenever the bottom of the 6th ends regardless of who that pitcher is he is almost definitely out of the game because due up for the Rays in the top of the 7th are the 6,7, and 8 hitters. So lets say the Rays send Balfour to the mound. The Phillies will PH Hamels for either Stairs or Jenkins. Then logical thinking would lead you to believe that Maddon takes out Balfour for Price or J.P. Howell. So whoever Maddon chooses the pitcher is 1 and done unless the Rays go down 1,2,3 in the Top of the 7th. Now if Price or Howell does come in they will face a lefty. After that you have a switch hitter in Jimmy Rollins. But due up third in that inning is Jayson Werth who I believe was in the top 5 in MLB with homeruns off left handed pitchers.

Now in saying all of this when the Rays come to bat in the Top of the 7th due up they have Navarro, Baldelli, and Bartlett. The Phillies bullpen has been pretty much untouchable in the post-season. I like my chances with Madson or Durbin over the three I just mentioned and possibly a PH for the pitcher if the 9 spot comes up. After the 7th if they use Durbin then you have Madson and Romero, who have been lights out, available in the 8th. Then in the 9th of course Lidge if they take a lead.

After saying all of this it really comes down to this. The Phillies have 12 outs to score a run and the Rays have 9. The Phillies have 9,1,2 up and the Rays have 6,7,8 up. With home field advantage, and the better bullpen I like the Phillies chances.

Dain Bramaged
Tokens
they will play tonight...simple as... I am looking out my window and it will be fine...cold,but fine....

All this talk about game 7 cracks me up...

It ends tonight...

4 at bats to 3
heart of our lineup guaranteed twice to Rays only once
superior,rested bullpen
Hamels could still start it, tho he is due up first,probably won't happen

phils win 5-2

Forget this game 7 hogwash please, Rays are showing their youth and will give in again...

:pope:

And Boxer is dead on!!!

After saying all of this it really comes down to this. The Phillies have 12 outs to score a run and the Rays have 9. The Phillies have 9,1,2 up and the Rays have 6,7,8 up. With home field advantage, and the better bullpen I like the Phillies chances.

That SUMS it up right there!! PHIGHTINS -160 :103631605

Tokens
Francesco, you crack me up. Your looking out your window and saying the weather is fine. Go stand out in front of your house for an hour, without gloves on and then tell me how you feel.:ohno:
This very cold weather tonight is going to affect this game big time. I'm visiting my parents in Pgh and was outside today for one half hour. My hands were bright red and stinging when I went back inside the house.

Tonight it will even be colder, with windchill going down to single digits and the wind blowing between 18 to 20 mph.
This game goes extra innings, that's right, you heard it hear first.

Boxer, put your hands in your freezer for an hour and then try to pitch:nohead:

Hamels will not pitch in this cold weather, after pitching on Monday, because he could blow his arm out, and the Coach won't let that happen.

Manuel already said today that he will pinch hit for Hamels. It doesn't matter who it is, as I think Maddon will go with Balfour or another pitcher other than Price, because when the RAYS bat in the top of the 7th, the pitcher is 4th, so bringing in Price would defeat the purpose of him pitching for a few innings.

Betting 50-to 70 % juice on the Phillies in these conditions are RETARTED

Tokens
If you are going to bet Philly tonight, make sure you parlay them with someone else, preferably on the Money Line.:103631605

Tokens
Cold weather, hot baseball?

That is the prediction for the eventual resumption of Game 5 of the World Series between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Phillies in Citizens Bank Park.
And, although the Phillies do make their home in the climate-challenged Northeast, neither team has a lot of recent experience coping with the elements.
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/components/ps/y2008/ws_table_2008.css" type="text/css">
<table cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="ws_table_title" valign="top"><td colspan="4">
ICE BREAKERS​
</td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_intro" valign="top"><td colspan="4">The Rays and Phillies played a number of games in cold weather (50 degrees or less) in 2008. </td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_hdr" valign="top"><td colspan="4">
Rays​
</td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>Temp.</center></td><td><center>Date</center></td><td><center>Site</center></td><td><center>Result</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td><center>50</center></td><td><center>April 4</center></td><td><center>NYY</center></td><td><center>W, 13-4</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>46</center></td><td><center>April 6</center></td><td><center>NYY</center></td><td><center>L, 0-2</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td><center>48</center></td><td><center>April 7</center></td><td><center>NYY</center></td><td><center>L, 1-6</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>49</center></td><td><center>May 2</center></td><td><center>BOS</center></td><td><center>L, 3-7</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td><center>46</center></td><td><center>May 3</center></td><td><center>BOS</center></td><td><center>L, 4-12</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>49</center></td><td><center>May 4</center></td><td><center>BOS</center></td><td><center>L, 3-7</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td>TOTALS</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td><center>1-5</center></td></tr> <tr valign="top"></tr><tr valign="top"></tr><tr class="ws_table_hdr" valign="top"><td colspan="4">
Phillies​
</td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td><center>Temp.</center></td><td><center>Date</center></td><td><center>Site</center></td><td><center>Result</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>49</center></td><td><center>April 2</center></td><td><center>PHI (vs. WAS)</center></td><td><center>L, 0-1</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td><center>49</center></td><td><center>April 3</center></td><td><center>PHI (vs. WAS)</center></td><td><center>W, 8-7</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>46</center></td><td><center>April 4</center></td><td><center>CIN</center></td><td><center>W, 8-4</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td><center>50</center></td><td><center>April 8</center></td><td><center>NYM</center></td><td><center>W, 5-2</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_even" valign="top"><td><center>49</center></td><td><center>April 21</center></td><td><center>COL</center></td><td><center>W, 9-5</center></td></tr> <tr class="ws_table_odd" valign="top"><td>TOTALS</td><td>
</td><td>
</td><td><center>4-1</center></td></tr> </tbody></table>
One thing is certain: If forecasts of temperatures in the low 40s Wednesday night at 8:37 p.m. ET for the first pitch (actually, the 188th pitch of the suspended game) are accurate, it will be the coldest in which either team has played this year.
When playing in temperatures of 50 or below, the hot-weather Rays are 1-5. Since a 13-4 victory in Yankee Stadium in their first game under those conditions, the Rays have been outscored 34-11 in five straight losses -- the most recent on May 4.
The Phillies have won four consecutive chilled games since a 1-0 loss to Washington in Citizens Bank Park on April 2.

Tokens
woody

deep breath and exhale slowly...again...ahhhh
there

better?

I was referring to the RAIN...gee I never thought 40 degree weather could affect the hands...thank you Mr. Wizard!

the game will be played,it will NOT go extra innings,Phils end it easily to the young,choking little kids from Tampa who are poor in cold weather by record, and it's retarded not your version "retarted"

:nohead:

Tokens
If you are going to bet Philly tonight, make sure you parlay them with someone else, preferably on the Money Line.:103631605

I agree with you on this one. I like the philly has 12 ups vs 9 for TB, but still too tough a call. Bet in a parlay

Tokens
The Phillies are a L-O-C-K to win the game tonight and hence be crowned World Series champions.

:103631605

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com