becoming a better loser #1

Search

Banned
Tokens
I don't know how accurate this is today, but I remember hearing some time ago that 99% of all bettors lose in the long run. This number blew my mind at the time, and I was confident that I would not be a part of that unfortunate crowd. After all, I was a sports nut: I watched any game that was on TV whether it was Duke/NC or Seattle/Cascade. I could rattle off the starting line-up of any Major League Baseball team. As a kid, the Monday night broadcasts of McGyver and Monday Night Football was a ritual that my younger sister dared not fight. In short, when I started betting on sports I knew that I could not lose due to my superior knowledge and the aptitude of my instincts.

At some point in a man's life he has to stop, take a moment to evaluate the situation, and ask himself this question: "What the hell went wrong?" This was supposed to be easy. I was going to be a highroller, a man both respected and feared. Brent Musburger was going to call me before the start of every game he broadcasted so that I could give him an easy winner. The public was going to sing my praises, but today I fear that I must admit that I am a part of that same public that loses 99% of the time. Again, I ask what the hell went wrong?

First, let me quote the Highway Men: "I had no dreams, I had no plans...." Simply put, when I first started betting on sports I did so because I have the make-up of a habitual gambler. Anybody see A Bronx Tale (I believe it was this film) where one of the characters refers to another character as being such a degenerate that he'd bet on two cockroaches racing across the floor? That was me in a nutshell. I wanted action on the games I'd be watching that night. At that time, living in rural Oklahoma and having never heard of the Internet, I was fortunate to know a local who was happy to take my bets. Since he was also the guy I bought my weed from it was a conveniant set-up. After a big night it felt good to defer the cash and simply exchange it for a bag. After a while, a measure of frustration began to creep in. I was losing more often than I won, and nobody within my inner-circle really cared about who I was betting on. This wasn't the way it was supposed to go. I watched Sportcenter religiously and read the sports pages. I was supposed to win goddammit!

I have taken more space here than I intended, so let me fast forward. There came a point not too long ago when I sat down and thought about what I was doing. After more than a decade of losing and chasing losses, it was time to sit down and figure out what was going on. The first thing I did was admit to myself that I will always gamble. That is what I do. That is my dog in the cage, and when that dog gets hungry you have to feed it. That bitch won't starve. If you pretend that it's not there, one day it's going to break out of its cage and eat you. The next thing I did was to try and come up with an estimate of how much I had lost in the past, and, if I continued along the same path, how much I stood to lose in the future. It was a sobering conclusion to say the least. I needed a goal, but more than that I needed to ground myself in reality. To paraphrase the immortal Hank Hill: "Any get rich scheme will end with you in jail or getting your ass kicked."

What is it that I expect to gain by betting on sports? This, I think, is the most important question a man should ask himself before he places his first wager. Until this question is answered, he would be better suited in the pursuit of other endeavors.

*** I started writing this post after a bad beat with St. Jo's (had them at -1). After marking them off as a loss while listening to the game in the other room, they provided me with enough hope so that I got off my ass long enough to see a kid take a half-court shot down by 2 with 3 seconds still left. In an effort to find something else to do to keep me off tilt, I started writing this. I see that N. Tx. (-10) became a push for me even though they were looking good last time I checked. Ark. St. (-1 1/2) lost by a point in the final minute. On the good side, Wis. Mil. (+11 1/2) and E. Ky. (-18 1/2) came through for me. I'll take 2-2-1 for the night. Could have easily been 5-0, or 0-5.

Tokens
I don't know how accurate this is today, but I remember hearing some time ago that 99% of all bettors lose in the long run. This number blew my mind at the time, and I was confident that I would not be a part of that unfortunate crowd. After all, I was a sports nut: I watched any game that was on TV whether it was Duke/NC or Seattle/Cascade. I could rattle off the starting line-up of any Major League Baseball team. As a kid, the Monday night broadcasts of McGyver and Monday Night Football was a ritual that my younger sister dared not fight. In short, when I started betting on sports I knew that I could not lose due to my superior knowledge and the aptitude of my instincts.

At some point in a man's life he has to stop, take a moment to evaluate the situation, and ask himself this question: "What the hell went wrong?" This was supposed to be easy. I was going to be a highroller, a man both respected and feared. Brent Musburger was going to call me before the start of every game he broadcasted so that I could give him an easy winner. The public was going to sing my praises, but today I fear that I must admit that I am a part of that same public that loses 99% of the time. Again, I ask what the hell went wrong?

First, let me quote the Highway Men: "I had no dreams, I had no plans...." Simply put, when I first started betting on sports I did so because I have the make-up of a habitual gambler. Anybody see A Bronx Tale (I believe it was this film) where one of the characters refers to another character as being such a degenerate that he'd bet on two cockroaches racing across the floor? That was me in a nutshell. I wanted action on the games I'd be watching that night. At that time, living in rural Oklahoma and having never heard of the Internet, I was fortunate to know a local who was happy to take my bets. Since he was also the guy I bought my weed from it was a conveniant set-up. After a big night it felt good to defer the cash and simply exchange it for a bag. After a while, a measure of frustration began to creep in. I was losing more often than I won, and nobody within my inner-circle really cared about who I was betting on. This wasn't the way it was supposed to go. I watched Sportcenter religiously and read the sports pages. I was supposed to win goddammit!

I have taken more space here than I intended, so let me fast forward. There came a point not too long ago when I sat down and thought about what I was doing. After more than a decade of losing and chasing losses, it was time to sit down and figure out what was going on. The first thing I did was admit to myself that I will always gamble. That is what I do. That is my dog in the cage, and when that dog gets hungry you have to feed it. That bitch won't starve. If you pretend that it's not there, one day it's going to break out of its cage and eat you. The next thing I did was to try and come up with an estimate of how much I had lost in the past, and, if I continued along the same path, how much I stood to lose in the future. It was a sobering conclusion to say the least. I needed a goal, but more than that I needed to ground myself in reality. To paraphrase the immortal Hank Hill: "Any get rich scheme will end with you in jail or getting your ass kicked."

What is it that I expect to gain by betting on sports? This, I think, is the most important question a man should ask himself before he places his first wager. Until this question is answered, he would be better suited in the pursuit of other endeavors.

*** I started writing this post after a bad beat with St. Jo's (had them at -1). After marking them off as a loss while listening to the game in the other room, they provided me with enough hope so that I got off my ass long enough to see a kid take a half-court shot down by 2 with 3 seconds still left. In an effort to find something else to do to keep me off tilt, I started writing this. I see that N. Tx. (-10) became a push for me even though they were looking good last time I checked. Ark. St. (-1 1/2) lost by a point in the final minute. On the good side, Wis. Mil. (+11 1/2) and E. Ky. (-18 1/2) came through for me. I'll take 2-2-1 for the night. Could have easily been 5-0, or 0-5.

Temple led by 11 with .58 seconds left, the only bad beat there would have been for the people who took Temple. I was on Ark St. and N. Tex too though......hoping Idaho can hang close.

Tokens
Don't worry there are plenty of losers here. People think that this site gives them an edge. If that was true more people would win. Thats just not true. I came to this conclusion about 1 1/2 years ago. Tough game to beat. You need GA if this gets to the point of not being able to pay your bills. BTW how much have you lost?

Tokens
Im down a little under 20k lifetime, I've finally decided, for me, flat betting is the way to go and most likely it's going to keep you in the game longer.

I'll be in the Bar..With my head on the Bar
Tokens
Could have easily been 5-0, or 0-5.

Kinda the Cliff notes for the entire post isn't it. I was watching a court show yesterday and the woman wanted a divorce because her husband was hooked on online poker...The judge asked him "do you make any money at it"? he says..."well. ughh, i could!"
Then theres that old Redford (i think) movie where he buys a trifecta ticket everyday for years and it never wins. he's always dreaming and planning on how he'll spend that trifecta when it comes in , but it never does. So one day he goes to the doctor and the doctor says u have weeks to live.........and he hits the trifecta the same day!!

Woulda's, Coulda's and Shoulda's...we're all hooked on them..........

Banned
Tokens
Don't worry there are plenty of losers here. People think that this site gives them an edge. If that was true more people would win. Thats just not true. I came to this conclusion about 1 1/2 years ago. Tough game to beat. You need GA if this gets to the point of not being able to pay your bills. BTW how much have you lost?

not one to divulge that kind of information. not going homeless anytime soon. but there were a lot of aimless years of bad gambling that made for more stress. got a few things i wanted to write about. this was one of em. maybe it'll help someone here, or maybe someone will provide some feedback that will make me nod my head because i know exactly where they're coming from.

btw, to the reply above regarding the bad beat, i'll compare it to limping in with rags and hoping to hit a big flop. so you flop 2 pair with your shitty hand against a guy who's got aces, only to see him spike an ace on the river. you shoulda never been in the hand, but now you feel like you just took a bad beat.... but that's a topic for another thread of becoming a better loser i guess....

Banned
Tokens
Im down a little under 20k lifetime, I've finally decided, for me, flat betting is the way to go and most likely it's going to keep you in the game longer.

that's also something i planned on writing about but the post started getting out of hand. flat betting vs upping the ante. comes back to goals and expectations.

Tokens
i am a action junkie knowing it is a losing propisition. 99% probably do lose over a number of years but i wonder how many would actually admit that they do lose

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
Good post. Most people are in denial, and still think that it's all gonna turn around, and they're going to win every year from here on out. The truth is that the books win, and gamblers lose. The bettors that win aren't gamblers. A winning bettor would never say "I can't quit."

So if you're fine budgeting an amount to lose, and losing it every year, fine. If you get that much entertainment that you are willing to hand over your hard earned after tax dollars to bookies.....I guess that's your choice.

I would never want to have to say that I'm a gambler and I can't quit. If you can't quit, then you're an addict. You're no different than a drug addict. Not judging you, just saying that if you ever want to win at this, you are going to have to stop being an addict. The addiction is why you won't win.

My brother is an average joe that watches games and makes bets. He bets peanuts, but has never had a losing season in any sport. He is proof that anyone can win at this. You can, I can, the everyday ESPN guy can. How hard is it to hit 53% and play at reduced juice shops? It's not hard at all........IF you only make plays when you feel it's a good bet. 99% of people lose because they can't do that. The mental aspect is why you lose.

I'm at a crossroads. I had a very tough stretch in Oct and Nov, and then lost my job. I got a new job, but I don't make much money and can't gamble. Life is just fine without it, trust me. I do want to get back into it, but only when I have enough spare cash to do so, and not feel any pressure to win. Because if you're not going to make the decision and change and win, then there is nothing gained by watching games and paying some guy afterwards that did nothing to earn the money that you give him.

Banned
Tokens
i am a action junkie knowing it is a losing propisition. 99% probably do lose over a number of years but i wonder how many would actually admit that they do lose

admittitng that you lost is easy. admitting that you have a problem is harder. as long as you refuse that you have a problem, you absolve yourself of the responsibility to do something about it. once you admit that you have a problem, you have put yourself in a situation where you have to do something about it because it takes an idiot to say he's got a problem and yet continue to do the same thing that he says is a problem.

Tokens
A guy and me at my former place of employment had a term for these people. We called them good payers. Week after week after getting thier asses handed to them they would smile on tuesday and pay the man.

Stop being a good payer and look at what your doing to yourself and or family. Unless you are rich rich rich realy can anyone afford to lose money.

We di this to have some action. I found that the action seemed the same even with betting less.

Tokens
Good post. Most people are in denial, and still think that it's all gonna turn around, and they're going to win every year from here on out. The truth is that the books win, and gamblers lose. The bettors that win aren't gamblers. A winning bettor would never say "I can't quit."

So if you're fine budgeting an amount to lose, and losing it every year, fine. If you get that much entertainment that you are willing to hand over your hard earned after tax dollars to bookies.....I guess that's your choice.

I would never want to have to say that I'm a gambler and I can't quit. If you can't quit, then you're an addict. You're no different than a drug addict. Not judging you, just saying that if you ever want to win at this, you are going to have to stop being an addict. The addiction is why you won't win.

My brother is an average joe that watches games and makes bets. He bets peanuts, but has never had a losing season in any sport. He is proof that anyone can win at this. You can, I can, the everyday ESPN guy can. How hard is it to hit 53% and play at reduced juice shops? It's not hard at all........IF you only make plays when you feel it's a good bet. 99% of people lose because they can't do that. The mental aspect is why you lose.

I'm at a crossroads. I had a very tough stretch in Oct and Nov, and then lost my job. I got a new job, but I don't make much money and can't gamble. Life is just fine without it, trust me. I do want to get back into it, but only when I have enough spare cash to do so, and not feel any pressure to win. Because if you're not going to make the decision and change and win, then there is nothing gained by watching games and paying some guy afterwards that did nothing to earn the money that you give him.

Great post.

Banned
Tokens

thanks for your response. i believe that gambling -- whether it's poker or sports betting -- is my crux. it'll always be there. like al pacino said in 2 for the money "you never know when you'll have a relapse". if i'm going to gamble through good times and bad, i better figure out how to get better at it. this wasn't one of those "i'm down in the dumps type posts". i'm actually feeling good over the past couple months, ducking and dodging the bullets of 2-4 and 3-3 type nights where not too long ago it would have taken just a couple of these for me to say fuck it. then the next day make a deposit.

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
thanks for your response. i believe that gambling -- whether it's poker or sports betting -- is my crux. it'll always be there. like al pacino said in 2 for the money "you never know when you'll have a relapse". if i'm going to gamble through good times and bad, i better figure out how to get better at it. this wasn't one of those "i'm down in the dumps type posts". i'm actually feeling good over the past couple months, ducking and dodging the bullets of 2-4 and 3-3 type nights where not too long ago it would have taken just a couple of these for me to say fuck it. then the next day make a deposit.
Not gonna advise you to break the law, and I don't think it's morally right, either. But the smart degenerates that have to have action and know they can't quit.......they become bookies. They have the best of both worlds and are guaranteed to win.

Sweating +110 wagers from degenerate losers is better than sweating -110 wagers that you've placed after going on tilt.

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
Suckers all around, and the bookies that exploit them. That's what this industry is.

Banned
Tokens
Not gonna advise you to break the law, and I don't think it's morally right, either. But the smart degenerates that have to have action and know they can't quit.......they become bookies. They have the best of both worlds and are guaranteed to win.

Sweating +110 wagers from degenerate losers is better than sweating -110 wagers that you've placed after going on tilt.

lol. i actually did this a couple years ago. buddy of mine said he wanted to bet a $1 on a 3 team parlay. i took dollar literally, didn't bother to place the bet with my book and cover my ass if he hit, figure i'd give him 6 bux if he did hit. he came over the next day and went to hand me a 100 bux, already bitching about the one team that lost. i was like "$100?" we got a good laugh out of it.

gerhart got hosed
Tokens

I don't know whether to say thank you or f u. I am no average Joe and am not proof anyone can win at this. I've been able to make very few bad decisions based on emotions, while having a decent eye for good bets and off lines... which has allowed me to ballbust payouts a dime at a muffsniffing time. Avg. Joe no do dat Rynie

FreeRyanFerguson.com
Tokens
I don't know whether to say thank you or f u. I am no average Joe and am not proof anyone can win at this. I've been able to make very few bad decisions based on emotions, while having a decent eye for good bets and off lines... which has allowed me to ballbust payouts a dime at a muffsniffing time. Avg. Joe no do dat Rynie
:lol: Ambien is a funny drug. Go to bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viact
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com