Curt Schilling announces his retirement.

Search

Tokens
Right-hander won Series games for Phillies, D-backs, Red Sox..

By Ian Browne / MLB.com...

Schilling's career statistics

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Curt Schilling, one of the finest and most clutch pitchers of his generation, announced his retirement Monday morning with his laptop.

Schilling revealed the end of his 20-year Major League career via his blog, 38pitches.weei.com.

"This party has officially ended," wrote Schilling. "After being blessed to experience 23 years of playing professional baseball in front of the world's best fans in so many different places, it is with zero regrets that I am making my retirement official.

"To say I've been blessed would be like calling Refrigerator Perry 'a bit overweight.' The things I was allowed to experience, the people I was able to call friends, teammates, mentors, coaches and opponents, the travel, all of it, are far more than anything I ever thought possible in my lifetime."

The 42-year-old Schilling last pitched in 2007. As it turns out, his last performance was a win for the Red Sox in Game 2 of the World Series, helping pave the way for Boston's four-game sweep of the Colorado Rockies.

Shoulder problems prevented Schilling from pitching a single inning in 2008, during which he was under a one-year contract with the Red Sox.

A free agent this winter, Schilling continually hinted he might retire, though he kept open the possibility of pitching a partial season for someone, like Roger Clemens did the last couple of years of his career.
Schilling compiled a record of 216-146, notching 3,116 strikeouts. In the postseason, Schilling went 10-2 with a 2.23 ERA in 19 starts.

He was part of three World Series championship teams -- the 2001 Diamondbacks and the Red Sox of 2004 and '07.

Schilling also pitched for the pennant-winning Phillies of 1993, and is the only pitcher to win a World Series start for three different teams.

In Boston, he will long be remembered for boldly saying that he was coming to town to help snap an 86-year World Series drought and then playing a crucial role in doing just that.

MLB.com<!--sphereit end-->

Professional At All Times
Tokens
Schilling Retires - Next Stop The Hall Of Fame

BOSTON -- Curt Schilling retired from baseball Monday, ending a career in which he won World Series titles with the Boston Red Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks and was one of the game's most dominant pitchers and grittiest competitors.
The 42-year-old right-hander said on his blog he's leaving after 23 years with "zero regrets." Schilling missed all of last season with a shoulder injury after signing a one-year, $8 million contract.
"The things I was allowed to experience, the people I was able to call friends, teammates, mentors, coaches and opponents, the travel, all of it, are far more than anything I ever thought possible in my lifetime," he wrote.
Schilling had surgery last June and had said he might come back in the middle of this season though he was not under contract. He made no reference to his injury on his blog.
He was co-MVP of the 2001 World Series with Randy Johnson while in Arizona. Schilling also won World Series titles with Boston in 2004 and 2007.
"Curt had a great career and made a profound impact on the Red Sox, helping to restore the Red Sox' status as a championship organization," general manager Theo Epstein said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "He was consistently dominant, and never more so than when it mattered most. Not only for what he did -- but for when and how he did it -- Curt deserves to be remembered with the all-time greats."
Schilling came to Boston for the 2004 season and helped the team win its first World Series in 86 years, pitching Game 2 of a sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals after a surgical procedure to suture a loose tendon in his right ankle and with blood seeping through his sock. The sock is now in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
He was drafted by the Red Sox in the second round in 1986 but was traded to the Baltimore Orioles before playing for the big league club. He pitched for Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia and Arizona before being wooed to the Red Sox by Epstein.
Schilling, one of the sport's hard throwers, finishes his career with 3,116 strikeouts, 14th most in baseball history, a 216-146 record and a 3.46 ERA.
He was even better in the postseason, with an 11-2 record, the best of any pitcher with at least 10 decisions, and 2.23 ERA in 19 career starts.
"The game always gave me far more than I ever gave it," Schilling wrote on his blog. "All of those things, every single one of those memories is enveloped with fan sights and sounds for me."
Schilling was 9-8 with a 3.87 ERA in 2007, when he spent seven weeks on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis.
In the final game of his career, he won Game 2 of Boston's 2007 World Series sweep of the Colorado Rockies, 2-1. Schilling allowed one run on four hits in 5 1/3 innings and was relieved by Hideki Okajima after walking Todd Helton on a full count.
Schilling's shoulder injury came to light early the following February when he disclosed on his blog that he and the team disagreed about the best way to treat it. He preferred surgery while the team wanted him to rehabilitate it in hopes of having him pitch in 2008.
He eventually had surgery on June 23 to repair his right biceps tendon and labrum. Dr. Craig Morgan, the surgeon, said the operation kept Schilling on target to pitch by the middle of this season if he decided to return.
Schilling was known for his outspokenness.
In March 2005, he testified at a congressional hearing concerning steroids. In July 2007, he said on HBO's "Costas Now" that the refusals of Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire to address speculation about steroids use were tantamount to admissions.
Last September, he criticized former teammate Manny Ramirez during a radio appearance.
"He was very kind, and well-mannered, but there were spurts and times when you didn't know who he was," Schilling said. "You know, he was always kind and nice for the most part, but he'd show up the next day and say, 'I'm through with this team, I want out now.' "
On Monday, Schilling announced he was out of baseball.
"The game was here long before I was, and will be here long after I am gone," he wrote. "The only thing I hope I did was never put in question my love for the game, or my passion to be counted on when it mattered most. I did everything I could to win every time I was handed the ball."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Tokens
Not sure I'd put him in the HOF. Especially considering who isn't in already. Take away his admittedly great playoff stats and he's not in even the third tier of SPs.

Rx. Senior
Tokens
There is only one pitcher better than him not yet in the Hall-of-Fame

That can be used as a good arguement for both why he should and shouldn't make it

The big question is, how many pitchers from one generation can make it. Clemens probably won't, simply because the people who vote are idiots. Maddux, Johnson, Martinez, Smoltz, Glavine, Rivera will

The dreadful offenses in Philadelphia cost him some wins. Doing so much more in the post-season than every other pitcher is certainly tangable. And the best K/BB ratio in history. Yet it still looks like he falls behind Mussina as well. That is eight pitchers from this generation more deserving than he is

I can easily see both sides here, interested in seeing analysis from others before casting judgement

Tokens
Did he use Hienz or Huntz catsup on that sock?

Tokens
" Clemens probably won't, simply because the people who vote are idiots. "

and because he cheated his way to his stats. if they dont induct bonds, mcgwire, palmeiro or anyone else from the steroid era, they cant induct him.

Rx. Senior
Tokens
Management, labor, media and fans all either knew what Clemens was doing or should have known and never once did anyone stand up and say what he was doing was cheating, nor ask him to stop. In fact, everyone encouraged him to do it. Only a decade after he started and two decades after Canseco started and five decades after other athletes started did anyone stand up and say anything. When the sports writers take that approach, it is idiocy

RX Senior
Tokens
I have mixed feelings about Curt.

What he did for us Red Sox fans in 2004 was very memorable. (a big understatement on my part.)

But taking on that big 1 year contract and then saying sorry guys I need the season off to get surgery but let me hang out in the clubhouse all year. Was just pitiful to see for a guy already financially set.

Thanks for the memorys Schill, but I'm happy to finally move on and not have to wonder anymore.

Rx Realist
Tokens
" Clemens probably won't, simply because the people who vote are idiots. "

and because he cheated his way to his stats. if they dont induct bonds, mcgwire, palmeiro or anyone else from the steroid era, they cant induct him.

You want it to be one way but its the other way.

The Great Govenor of California
Tokens
teammates probably glad, they wont have to step over tobacco puddles all over the dugout. When Sox did fiannly win it. PEdro was the ace not schilling.

I'm all about low expectations
Tokens
the dickhead was one of the best big game pitchers ever, will probably get the call for the hof in about 10 years...

Tokens
Putting aside my Yankee bias here, Schill was an outstanding playoff pitcher, he also has an outstanding career ratio (WHIP).
His lifetime ERA is very good compared to the league averages also.
How come only 216 career wins?
If you take away those three 20 win plus seasons of his, his 20 year career is a little better than run of the mill.
Don't take my word for it, take away those three seasons.

Compare his career with Mussina's.
If one should go to the hall, the other should also.

Personally, if I had a Hall vote, I'd be on the fence with both of them.

Tokens
The 2004 World Series was a wash as far as Schilling and Pedro goes. They both won a game.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=intro>
Going into the Fall Classic neither team stood out as a statistical favorite. Both had put up the best offensive numbers in their respective leagues (Boston: nine-hundred forty-nine runs, St. Louis: eight-hundred forty-five runs) and featured a strong line-up, inspired pitching staff and dependable bullpen.

Game 1 opened at Fenway Park as the euphoric "Red Sox Nation" cautiously waited the fall of the dreaded "Curse of the Bambino" (an eighty-plus year-old superstition based on the infamous trade of Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees following the 1919 season). As expected, the two highest-scoring teams in the Major Leagues combined for the highest-scoring Game 1 in World Series history as the Red Sox edged the Cardinals, 11-9. The twenty runs scored were two more than the previous record holders; New York Yankees (12) and Chicago Cubs (6) had scored on September 28, 1932 and there were also a remarkable fourteen walks and five errors. The opener presented the first Fall Classic duel between these two teams since 1967, when the Cardinals won in seven games. Time had definitely changed though, as there were twenty-one total runs scored in the first four games of that series by both teams combined.

The second outing also went in Boston's favor (6-2) as starter Curt Schilling continued to add to his mythical post-season performance. Many fans stated that what he accomplished in Game 2 of the World Series belonged in a special class and was the kind of story that would be told (and retold) for generations to come. Originally slated to be unavailable in the American League Championship Series (due to a serious ankle injury) the thirty-seven year-old right-hander compromised his own career by electing to "go" after receiving both shots and sutures.

With blood staining his right stocking, Schilling tossed an unbelievable masterpiece against the Yankees. The following week, he repeated the effort in Game 2 and left after pitching six innings of one unearned run, four-hit ball. Before the game, The Associated Press reported that Boston team physician Bill Morgan said the procedure to stitch Schilling's torn tendon to the ankle might be too dangerous to repeat a third time. Regardless of no chance at a "hat-trick", the two outings Schilling had given his team quickly became inscribed in the books of Boston's ever-growing folklore.

Game 3 shifted the series to Busch Stadium, but unfortunately for Cardinals fans, so shifted the momentum of the Red Sox as they crept closer and closer to a sweep with a 4-1 road-win. Boston ace Pedro Martinez faced pitcher Jeff Suppan for what was originally billed as a "pitchers duel."

The three-time Cy Young Award winner responded with his most dominant performance of the postseason. On the day after his thirty-third birthday, Martinez shut down the usually prolific offense of the Cardinals, holding them to three hits over his seven shutout innings, striking out six and retiring the last fourteen batters he faced. In doing so, the Sox came just two outs shy of notching their first World Series shutout since Bruce Hurst and Calvin Schiraldi had combined in Game 1 against the Mets in 1986.

It was also Boston's seventh win in a row and put them twenty-seven outs from total vindication.

Down three-games-to-none, St. Louis received widespread criticism for not playing "fundamental baseball" in key situations. The Cards showed promise going against Martinez in the bottom of the first, loading the bases with one out. But on a shallow fly out to left by Jim Edmonds, Larry Walker surprisingly tried to score. He was tagged out by catcher Jason Varitek, who easily handled an accurate one-hopper.

In the third inning, St. Louis had another golden opportunity after Suppan got things going with a single down the third-base line. Edgar Renteria followed with a double to right, but the Cardinals stung themselves again with shoddy base running. A grounder to second by Walker should have scored Suppan. However, Mark Bellhorn methodically fielded the ball and eased the throw to first, essentially giving away the run for the sure out. A confused Suppan somehow got hung up on the third-base line as first baseman David Ortiz (playing defense for just the second time since July 22) alertly fired a laser to third baseman Mueller, who tagged Suppan out.

Now just with one win to go, the buzz about the New England area (as well as the rest of the country) continued to rise to monstrous proportions. One quote by sports writer Mike Bauman from Baseball Perspective summed up the miraculous rebirth of the Boston mystique.

He wrote: Victory over the Yanks has changed the equation. And it has changed the emotion, from frustration and perennial disappointment to buoyant anticipation and optimism. For the first time in decades, the Fenway Faithful felt real promise as the Cardinals fell further and further away from bringing the title back to "America's greatest baseball town."

Game 4 started with a bang as Boston's Johnny Damon led-off with a homerun courtesy of Cardinals' starter Jason Marquis. Derek Lowe took the mound for the Red Sox pitching a seven-inning masterpiece with three hits, one walk and four strikeouts. It was Lowe who had come up huge in two critical playoff games in the American League Championship Series. Despite having a terrible September, the right-hander rose to the occasion and redeemed himself with a magnificent start in New York for the deciding Game 7.

In retrospect, he was only given the opportunity for these masterful performances (ALCS 4 and 7, and WS 4) due to the disruption of Boston's starting rotation resulting in manager Terry Francona relying on would-be starter Tim Wakefield for several innings of relief in Games 1 and 3.

Things continued to favor Boston in the third when Trot Nixon stepped in (with the bases loaded and two outs) and came out swinging on a 3-0 pitch, clocking a two-run double off the wall in right-center, putting the Sox ahead by three runs. And that was it. For the next six innings both teams left multiple base runners stranded as neither was able to add to the scoreboard.

St. Louis came close in the fifth after Edgar Renteria tagged a double to left-center and moved to third on a wild pitch with just one out. Lowe however managed to regain his composure striking out John Mabry and getting Yadier Molina on a grounder to short.

In the eighth, Boston loaded the bases, but Cardinals' closer Jason Isringhausen ended the inning, giving the offense a chance to rally back. Unfortunately, baseball's most winningest team in 2004 (one-hundred five regular season victories) was unable to generate any offense as Boston relievers Bronson Arroyo and Alan Embree combined with closer Keith Foulke to finish the job for the 3-0 win.

In the end, the Red Sox pitching staff was masterful in the final three games of the series, holding St. Louis' line-up to three runs over twenty-seven innings.

And with that the entire culture of the Boston Red Sox changed as the self-proclaimed "idiots" franchise won its sixth World Series championship, but first since 1918.

Finally the so-called "curse" had been broken after breaking so many hearts generation after generation. As the team mobbed each other at home plate, loyal members of the Red Sox Nation from Boston to Baghdad raced into the streets in jubilant celebration.

General Manager prodigy Theo Epstein, the pride of Brookline, Massachusetts (who built the team at the age of thirty) summed up the historic significance of the victory by stating, "This is what we've all been waiting for. We can die happy. I just hope everyone out there who has been rooting for the Red Sox the last eighty-six years is enjoying this as much as we are. We're coming home to see you soon."

On the other side, Cardinals' skipper Tony La Russa echoed the obvious disappointment in both himself and his players. Not only had the team who scored the most runs and allowed the fewest in the National League been swept, but they were also shutout in the process. In addition, the win for Boston was sweetened, as it had been the St. Louis Cardinals who previously shattered the Red Sox dreams of a championship title in both the 1946 and 1967 World Series.

The date: October 27th, 2004, a day that will live on throughout history and a day that Boston, "The Babe," and other ghosts of the past could finally rest in peace.

Baseball Almanac

wil.​
</TD></TR><!-- End Intro Box --><!-- Begin Quote Box --><TR><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tokens
Schilling was the ace of the 2004 staff, not Pedro.

Agreed, Schill was lights out that season, especially down the stretch.
He won his last eight starts, should have been nine, got screwed against Baltimore in late September when he went eight complete, yielding no runs on three hits, while striking out an eye popping 14.
Sox won that game, Foulke coughed it up for him.

Sox won 25 games in 32 of his starts.

Tokens
Pedro vs Shill - you do the math. Key career stats.

Pedro Martinez
Games started: 400
Wins: 214
Losses: 99
ERA: 2.91
Complete Games: 46
Shutouts: 17
Innings pitched: 2,782.2
Hits allowed: 2,173
Earned Runs allowed: 901
Home Runs allowed: 232
Walks allowed: 752
Strike outs: 3,117

Curt Schilling
Games Started:436
Wins: 216
Losses: 146
ERA: 3.46
Complete Games: 83
Innings Pitched: 3,261
Hits allowed: 2,998
Earned Runs Allowed: 1,253
Home Runs Allowed: 347
Walks Allowed: 711
Strike Outs: 3,116

wil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com