Devastating Virus Due Next Week

Search

2009 RX Death Pool Champion
Tokens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Conficker-The-Windows-Worm-That-Wont-Go-Away-529249/

The Conficker worm continues to slither its way across the Internet, and a major update for the malware is looming on April 1. Just what will happen is anyone's guess, security researchers say, but there are malware removal tools and protections out there for users.

Much has been written about the Conficker worm's next big day. On April 1, the worm is expected to evolve yet again, when it blasts out requests to 500 of the 50,000 domains it generates daily in search of an update.
Just what that update will do isn't known; what is known is that Conficker —aka Downadup—has proven to be an impressive piece of malware as such things go. Version C, the latest iteration of the Conficker worm, added peer-to-peer communication between infected systems and a new domain-generation algorithm.

The worm also got a new set of armor to protect itself that enabled it to kill some DNS (Domain Name System) lookups and disable AutoUpdate and some anti-virus software. Fortunately, there are ways for anyone who gets infected to manually remove the latest version, and there are also removal tools available from Symantec and others to help users clean their systems.

Still, this is a long way from the worm that first slithered out into the open in 2008 by targeting a flaw in Microsoft's Windows Server service.
"From a high-level perspective, the 'A' variant gave the impression [of being] a 'test run,'" said Pierre-Marc Bureau, a researcher at Eset. "It had code that probably was not meant to be spread globally. For example, it was checking for the presence of an Ukrainian keyboard or Ukrainian IP before infecting a system."

The first variants of the threat also sought to download and execute a file called loadav.exe, leading researchers to think the first goal was to install rogue anti-virus software, Bureau added. The file however was never uploaded to a Web server and thus never downloaded by Conficker.
The second version of the worm spread not only through the Windows flaw but also through network shares by logging in to machines with weak passwords. It also scanned for targets with greater speed than the previous version, and additionally spread through removable media such as USB sticks.

Security vendors responded by updating their defenses, and the mind or minds behind the worm have continued to answer in kind.

"During the last week, 3.88 percent of our users have been attacked by Conficker, either because they accessed an infected device or by a network attack," Bureau said. "The percentage is very high and shows that a high number of computers are presently infected and that the worm is still spreading."

Altogether, the variants of the worm are believed to have infected millions of PCs. The situation has prompted several organizations, including Microsoft and AOL, to team up to tame Conficker by disabling domains targeted by the worm. Still, researchers are no closer to guessing the end game of the mind or minds behind it.

"I don't think that the threat comes from the worm itself, it comes from the people that are in control of the mass of Conficker-infected systems," said Adriel Desautels, CTO of Netragard. "Those people have an immensely powerful weapon at their disposal, and that weapon threatens all of us."

Tokens
Buster..

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure Rx Tech Support is aware of the threat. I actually have to renew my virus protection by March 27th. I guess I better do it.

Thanks, wil...

Pro Handi-Craper My Picks are the shit
Tokens
How about this....

Malware That Survives Hard Disk Wipes Is a Reality

Two security researchers have demonstrated (PDF slides), at CanSecWest, a method of injecting malicious code into virtually all types of BIOSes. The technique can be used to deploy malware that survives even the most severe cleaning attempts, like hard disk wiping.

The Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) acts as the motherboard's firmware inside a computer. It contains the first code executed when that computer is powered and serves different functions such as device identification, testing and initialization. This puts the machine into a specific state from where the operating system can take over.

Alfredo Ortega and Anibal Sacco, two Argentinian security researchers from Core Security Technologies, have shocked the people at CanSecWest when they have presented how persistent code can be injected and executed from the BIOS environment. According to their own account, the implications are huge.

The malicious BIOS code is executed using the VGA ROM signature as ready-signal. “We can patch a driver to drop a fully working rootkit. We even have a little code that can remove or disable anti-virus,” Mr. Ortega exemplifies the possibilities.

The attacks that can be instrumented are platform-independent. In order to prove this, the researchers have demonstrated how full control can be gained on systems running Windows, OpenBSD, or even a virtual machine environment.

The tool used by the researchers to patch the BIOS consists of a 100-line-long script written in Python. “It was very easy. We can put the code wherever we want. We can reinfect the BIOS every time it reboots,” they comment for Threat Post.

The tool is designed to be able to flash almost all types of BIOSes, regardless of the motherboard manufacturer, and it does it in such a way that the rogue instructions are even protected from re-flashing.

The only drawback is that injecting the malicious code by patching the BIOS requires root privileges on or physical access to the system. However, once an attack is successful, it is very hard to mitigate. “You can remove the hard drive, trash it, and even reinstall the operating system. This will still reinstall the rootkit,” Anibal Sacco notes.

Methods of compromising the BIOS or the firmware of certain devices have been previously reported, but they have been limited to specific models. In fact, this technique is based on past persistent rootkit research done by John Heasman, who demonstrated, in 2007, how malware could be installed in the ROM of a PCI device.

Code:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Malware-That-Survives-Hard-Disk-Wipes-Is-a-Reality-107726.shtml

RX Dream Team
Tokens
I work in IT and we are already getting hit with stuff.

Be careful opening e-mail this week especially.

Tokens
I work in IT and we are already getting hit with stuff.

Be careful opening e-mail this week especially.

these fvckin people are as*holes...

when did this start...when will it be safe again...

just got done cleaning outta virus....##)

also...thx Buster...for the info...

bump this if need be...

C.P.

Tokens
France has grounded some fighter planes because of this threat...

Deep within the World Wide Web, there is an undercurrent of potential chaos building — a malicious piece of code that has already prompted the French military to ground some fighter planes, and Microsoft to offer $250,000 for information leading to the code's authors.

Now, the authority responsible for Canadian domains — website names ending with the suffix .ca — is for the first time blocking access to certain unregistered names in the hope of beating the computer worm before it has a chance wreak havoc on April 1.

"This is the first [worm] that has targeted the domain-name system," said Byron Holland, president and CEO of the Canadian Internet Registration Authority. "This one is right in our space."

A nasty piece of software most commonly known by the name Conficker began infecting computers around the world late last year. Once infected, the computers can be incorporated into a sort of mesh that results in a very powerful single entity called a botnet. Botnets can be used to do everything from transmitting viruses to sending out massive amounts of spam. On April 1, the infected computers are expected to try to contact an as-yet-undiscovered control centre by logging on to thousands of Internet domain names, one of which will be the control hub.

CONT...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090326.wworm0326/BNStory/Technology/home

WHAT HAPPENS APRIL 1?

April 1, a malicious piece of code that has infected millions of computers is expected to try to contact its control centre. What happens next is a mystery.

* Name: Conficker; also known as Kido or Downup.
* Type: Computer worm; infects Windows-based computers.
* Birth: Began large-scale infection around Oct. 2008.
* Infection rate: Estimated at more than 10-million computers.
* Action: Nobody knows what the worm is designed to do, other than contact a command centre on April 1.
* Remedy: Windows users should make sure they've installed the latest Microsoft security patches and updates.

t3a

RX Ninja
Tokens
Some good info among these answers, especially if you don't follow this sort of thing closely:

Q: So, what will it do on April 1st?
A: So far, Conficker has been polling 250 different domain names every day to download and run an update program. On April 1st, the latest version of Conficker will start to poll 500 out of 50,000 domains a day to do the same thing.

Q: The latest version? There are different versions out there?
A: Yes, and the latest version is not the most common. Most of the infected machines are infected with the B variant, which became widespread in early January. With B variant, nothing happens on April 1st.

Q: I just checked, and my Windows machine is clean. Is something going to happen to me on April 1st?
A: No.

Q: I'm running a Mac, is something going to happen to me?
A: No.

Q: So… this means that the attackers could use this download channel to run any program on all the machines?
A: On all the machines that are infected with the latest version of the worm, yes.

Q: But doesn't that mean that if the bad guys wanted to run something on those machines, they don't need to wait for April 1st?
A: Yes! Which is another reason why it's unlikely anything major will happen on April 1st.

Q: Is there going to be media hype?
A: Oh yes. Like there always is when a widespread worm has a date trigger. Think cases like Michelangelo (1992), CIH (1999), Sobig (2003), Mydoom (2004) and Blackworm (2006).

Q: But in those cases nothing much happened even though everybody expected something to happen!
A: Exactly.

Q: So, should I keep my PC shut down on April 1st?
A: No. You should make sure it's clean before April 1st.

Q: Can I change the date on my machine to protect me?
A: No. While the worm uses the local system time for certain parts of its update functionality it doesn't exclusively rely on that.

Q: I'm confused. How can you know beforehand that there will be a global virus attack on April 1st? There must be a conspiracy here!
A: Yes, you're confused. There is not going to be a "global virus attack". The machines that are already infected might do something new on April 1st. We know this because we have reverse engineered the worm code and can see that this is what it has been programmed to do.

Q: Why can't you just infect a PC, set the clock to April 1st and see what happens?
A: That's not the way it works. The worm connects to certain websites to get the time-of-day.

Q: Where does the name "Conficker" come from?
A: Conficker is an anagram of sorts from trafficconverter – a website to which the first variant was connecting.

Q: I want more technical details on the worm.
A: Sure. Here's our description, and here's SRI's excellent writeup.

Tokens
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...us-activated--fails-cause-internet-chaos.html

A computer virus that has wormed its way into millions of PCs was activated today... but with little effect.

The Conficker virus, which has infected up to 15million computers since last autumn, has so far lurked harmlessly - but experts were braced for it to change the way it operated first thing this morning.

The 'worm' started looking for new instructions on what it should do next by scanning 50,000 different websites at midnight last night.

Experts feared the virus was about to be used by its creators to control an army' of 15 million 'zombie PCs' to steal bank details, send spam emails or even crash a major website.

But so far, nothing untoward has taken place.

'Conficker has activated,' said Patrik Runald, chief security adviser at F-Secure.

He said the Conficker creators were unlikely to strike on a day when so much attention was directed on the virus.

'These guys have been pretty smart until now - the worm is unfortunately very well done,' Mr Runald said.

'So far they haven't been stupid. So why should they start on April 1?'

Conficker, which is also known as Downadup or Kido, is a 'worm' virus that exploits a gap in Microsoft Windows software. It affects computers through the internet and infected memory sticks.

Parliament, the Ministry of Defence and several NHS trusts have been infected, as well as home computers.

Botnets have been used in the past to generate millions of pieces of spam email and to blackmail websites by threatening to temporarily knock them out.

It would do this by simultaneously sending a massive numbers of search queries or generating millions of pieces of spam email to knock websites offline through the sheer weight of connections.

In a worst case scenario, some experts even believe that Conficker has been designed to create a so-called 'Dark Google' - a search engine for criminals which will allow them to look for data on any of the 10 million infected PCs and then sell it on.

Conficker is able to guess administrator passwords used by networks of computers and is able to disable anti-virus software once it has gained access to a system.

Today, Conficker is generating 50,000 domain names and systematically try to communicate with each one.

Whoever developed the virus will then just have to register one of these domain names in order to take control of the millions of zombie computers that have been created.

Mikko Hypponen, of antivirus software firm F-Secure, said: 'It is scary thinking about how much control a hacker could have. They would have access to millions of machines.'

Experts are sceptical about whether today is the day the worm will turn, but urge the public to ensure their anti-virus software is up to date.

Security patches can be downloaded from Microsoft, which has offered a £175,000 reward to find the culprits.

One sign of already being infected is being blocked from visiting the websites of anti-virus companies such as McAfee.

Graham Cluley, of internet security company Sophos, advises people to rid their machines of the worm as soon as they can.

He said: 'There is no reason to believe that there will be any instructions for Conficker to receive on 1 April,' he said. 'They could just as easily be delivered on 2 April, 4 April, 25 May or never.

'This network is large and the whole world is going to be watching everything it does.

'You could argue it is a victim of its own success because it is going to be difficult for it to do anything under the radar.'

Mikko Hypponen, of antivirus software firm F-Secure, said: 'It is scary thinking about how much control a hacker could have. They would have access to millions of machines.'

How do I know if my PC has been infected?

Conficker finds vulnerable computers and automatically disables security services and blocks access to anti-virus websites.

You might be infected if your internet connection is running particularly slowly.

Find out whether you already have Conficker by using Microsoft, Symantec or a McAfee security tool.

How do I stay safe?

Make sure your PC is running the latest version of anti-virus software such as Norton or McAfee.

Make sure any USB devices you use on your PC are from trusted sources - Conficker downloads files when an infected USB is used on a new PC

Update your PC with all the latest ‘patches’ from Microsoft - available from Microsoft's website.

If your PC has been infected with the virus you can download Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool from the website. If the virus blocks this then ask a friend with an uninfected computer to download it and email it to you

'So far nothing has actually happened.'

Tokens

L5Y, USC is 4-0 vs SEC, outscoring them 167-48!!!
Tokens
If you guys do happen to get anything try out this software free.

http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/details.html

I think it's evaluation but it should get rid off whatever you have.

Also if you see anything in your e-mail about missing a package from DHL, don't open it.

Been on the lookout for anything remotely close. Any other variances of email titles to look out for? Thanks.

Tokens
conficker eye chart...

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

Conficker has finally waken up...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/tech/cnettechnews/main4931360.shtml

The Conficker worm is finally doing something - updating via peer-to-peer between infected computers and dropping a mystery payload on infected computers, Trend Micro said on Wednesday.

Researchers were analyzing the code of the software that is being dropped onto infected computers but suspect that it is a keystroke logger or some other program designed to steal sensitive data off the machine, said David Perry, global director of security education at Trend Micro.

The software appeared to be a .sys component hiding behind a rootkit, which is software that is designed to hide the fact that a computer has been compromised, according to Trend Micro. The software is heavily encrypted, which makes code analysis difficult, the researchers said.

The worm also tries to connect to MySpace.com, MSN.com, eBay.com, CNN.com and AOL.com as a way to test that the computer has Internet connectivity, deletes all traces of itself in the host machine, and is set to shut down on May 3, according to the TrendLabs Malware Blog.

Because infected computers are receiving the new component in a staggered manner rather than all at once there should be no disruption to the Web sites the computers visit, said Paul Ferguson, advanced threats researcher for Trend Micro.

"After May 3, it shuts down and won't do any replication," Perry said. However, infected computers could still be remotely controlled to do something else, he added.

Last night Trend Micro researchers noticed a new file in the Windows Temp folder and a huge encrypted TCP response from a known Conficker P2P IP node hosted in Korea.

"As expected, the P2P communications of the Downad/Conficker botnet may have just been used to serve an update, and not via HTTP," the blog post says. "The Conficker/Downad P2P communications is now running in full swing!"

In addition to adding the new propagation functionality, Conficker communicates with servers that are associated with the Waledac family of malware and its Storm botnet, according to a separate blog post by Trend Micro security researcher Rik Ferguson.

The worm tries to access a known Waledac domain and download another encrypted file, the researchers said.

Conficker.C failed to make a splash a week ago despite the fact that it was programmed to activate on April 1. It has infected between 3 million and 12 million computers, according to Perry.

Initially, researchers thought they were seeing a new variant of the Conficker worm, but now they believe it is merely a new component of the worm.

The worm spreads via a hole in Windows that Microsoft patched in October, as well as through removable storage devices and network shares with weak passwords.

The worm disabled security software and blocks access to security Web sites. To check if your computer is infected you can use this Conficker Eye Chart or this site at the University of Bonn.

RX Chef
Tokens
"A nasty piece of software most commonly known by the name Conficker began infecting computers around the world late last year. Once infected, the computers can be incorporated into a sort of mesh that results in a very powerful single entity called a botnet."

Jesus, does this shit sound like SKYNET from Terminator to anyone else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com