Tiger vs. Jack

Search
Tokens
Interesting article that shows that the skill level between these two
is closer than many believe, because, among other reasons:

1. Jack faced much tougher competition
2. Jack hit further and more accurate from the tees (adjusting for
equipment)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/30/AR2009033001725.html
The Game Deprived of Woods vs. Nicklaus

By Thomas Boswell
Tuesday, March 31, 2009; Page D01

Willie Mays never faced Roger Clemens. Nor did Barry Bonds have to cope with Warren Spahn. I don't mind. I saw them all -- in their own time. I don't want to see Night Train Lane clothesline Terrell Owens. Well, maybe I do, but it doesn't keep me up nights. And I am content to keep Johnny Unitas separate from Joe Montana, each compartmentalized and separate from Tom Brady.
But this thing with Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus is bothering me. In a way that I have never felt with other athletes from different eras, I want them to meet in their primes. But I'm told they can't.
Rocky Marciano, the better Joe Frazier, doesn't have to meet Muhammad Ali. I'd like to see Bill Russell crush the hearts of every NBA center who came after him. However, I can live without it. But Tiger against his boyhood model Jack, what a loss.
At Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill party on Sunday, Woods equaled the biggest final-round comeback of his PGA Tour career, catching Sean O'Hair from five shots back. After he closed the show with a 15-foot birdie putt on the 72nd hole, Tiger celebrated with fist pumps and caddie hugs, but he did it all at three-quarter speed, not gingerly but judiciously. Got to be good to that knee. So he's learned that, too.

Now that Woods has shown that his torn-up knee and broken leg are healed and that, after just three events, he can win again, it's just a matter of wondering how amazing a pain-free Woods will be. Who doubted? But now we know for certain. The man who's won 18 of his last 32 tour events is rested and revved. Next up, Augusta.
In these next few years, Woods is almost certainly going to leave Nicklaus in the major title dust. At 33, Nicklaus had won 11 of his 18 majors; Woods already has 14. That trend implies about 23 pro majors for Tiger. When the time comes, Nicklaus will pass the crown with grace, as Bobby Jones did to him. Jack has said, "If he does break it, I hope I'm allowed to be the first to shake his hand."
As Woods continues to climb the sheer face of Mount Jack, only one question will really be left: If both were the same age, would Tiger really have thumped Jack?
There's no knock on Woods. But there is a caveat. It's just reality. Tiger has faced no contemporary of historic consequence except (wrong-stuff) Phil Mickelson. Nicklaus got all of his major titles in the face of Hall of Famers in their primes. Woods has finished second in a major only five times. Part of the reason is that he knows how to finish. But part of the reason is who he's had to beat.
When Nicklaus finished second (19 times), look who beat him: Tom Watson and Lee Trevino, four times each, Arnold Palmer twice, Gary Player and Seve Ballesteros once each. That's a dozen major titles where Nicklaus finished runner-up to Hall of Fame players, from three distinct golf generations, with better career records than anybody Woods has ever had to beat.
So it's fair to wonder. And I find myself doing it every golf season. Now, after watching Tiger win a 91-hole U.S. Open on a broken leg, I continue to be convinced, as I have been for several years, that Woods is probably better -- but only slightly.
Watching Tiger post his latest statement victory at Bay Hill reminded me of the way Nicklaus used to roar through Florida in March, serving notice that the Masters (still in April, right?) had crossed his mind.
Once, at Doral, probably in '76 when he was player of the year for the fifth time, Nicklaus sank an 85-yard wedge shot for an eagle on Friday, then a day later, faced an almost identical length 86-yard shot on the same hole. Of course, Jack made a wisecrack to his caddie about hitting the shot just a hair harder and he'd make it again. Then he actually did.

</DIV><!-- sphereit end -->

Nicklaus dropped his club in the fairway in disbelief, then spun slowly around in goofy circles like a child trying to make himself dizzy. Afterward he said, "For a second I was starting to believe the stuff you guys write about me."
What would be the quality -- of play or of mind -- that would define a match between Tiger and Jack at their peaks? Pick an opinion. But here's mine. More than anything, Nicklaus won with strength of character. The look on his face did not advertise, but surely contained, his absolute certainty that, generally speaking, he deserved to win. So he probably would. Not always. But his certainty that he merited victory was the core of his authority.
Against Woods, Jack would have understood -- truly appreciated and valued -- that Tiger had worked harder at the sport, sacrificed more to it for more years, and brought a far more adventurous and investigative spirit to the game.
Nicklaus played a game that was both gargantuan and precise, yet without the creativity and imagination of most champions. The Germanic Nicklaus wanted to hit every fairway and green, lag his long putts dead and sink any putt shorter than a living room rug. "For years, I never felt that I needed a short game," Nicklaus told me. He finally developed one -- at 40. From 27 to 30, he actually lost interest in the game with four (of his five) children, various businesses and even hunting and fishing making him "a legend in his spare time." The death of his father at 56 in 1970 snapped him back, even shamed him a bit.

That neglect of his short game and sand play, as well as any gift for imaginative recovery shots, probably would have doomed Nicklaus to a losing career record against Woods. Jack's advantage, a large one, would have been off the tee, where he was far more accurate than Tiger; and, in his 220-pound twenties, an even longer hitter than Tiger -- adjusting for the equipment of their eras.
Every player, especially in the majors, gets in trouble. That's where Tiger's and Jack's games diverged utterly.
Nicklaus minimized the damage, chipped back from flora to fairway and usually left his short-iron shot a few paces from the flag. Then, damn the man, Jack would study what remained until the puzzle surrendered its secret and he sank the blasted thing for par.
Faced with the same predicament, Tiger might turn the club upside down and backward, hit his shot left-handed, break his club in half on a tree trunk, then dash up the fairway pumping his fist as the ball reached the same living-room-rug length putt as Nicklaus. Tiger, after a similar inquisition of line, speed and grain, would also sink his putt -- but for birdie.
Woods can produce such marvels, without maiming himself, because he has practiced his fabulous lunacy since kindergarten. Nicklaus tried to master the game. Tiger tries to redefine and expand it. He's Mickelson with judgment.
Had they ever met, Nicklaus would have recognized the profound difference between recovery for par and discovery for birdie. That extra Tiger gift would not always have carried the day. But, deep down, Nicklaus would recognize that Woods played a broader, more evolved game and, more often than not, probably deserved to win. So, Tiger would. No athlete ever lets the other win. But all know who merits it slightly more. That weighs heavy.
Once, after he had lost 65-66 in the final round of the British Open to Watson, Nicklaus said it was the greatest contest of his career. He looked almost joyous in defeat. Asked if it was the best head-to-head duel in the history of the sport, Jack said, "I didn't see the first 500 years."
In the long sweep of golf's history, Nicklaus and Woods barely missed each other, Jack winning his last Masters in '86 and Tiger his first in '97.
So close. But, unfortunately for us, much too far.

</DIV>

Last edited by a moderator:

Self appointed RX World Champion Handicapper
Tokens
tiger is making even people like me , who watched quite a bit of nicklaus in the 70's and thought what he did in 86 at augusta was the greatest thing i'd ever seen , forget all about jack ...

i dont think jack won 30 % of his pga events ... tiger has..

Tokens
tiger is making even people like me , who watched quite a bit of nicklaus in the 70's and thought what he did in 86 at augusta was the greatest thing i'd ever seen , forget all about jack ...

i dont think jack won 30 % of his pga events ... tiger has..

Compare Jack's competition vs. Tiger's competition.

"There's no knock on Woods. But there is a caveat. It's just reality. Tiger has faced no contemporary of historic consequence except (wrong-stuff) Phil Mickelson. Nicklaus got all of his major titles in the face of Hall of Famers in their primes. Woods has finished second in a major only five times. Part of the reason is that he knows how to finish. But part of the reason is who he's had to beat.
When Nicklaus finished second (19 times), look who beat him: Tom Watson and Lee Trevino, four times each, Arnold Palmer twice, Gary Player and Seve Ballesteros once each. That's a dozen major titles where Nicklaus finished runner-up to Hall of Fame players, from three distinct golf generations, with better career records than anybody Woods has ever had to beat. "

Retired; APRIL 2014 Thank You Gambling
Tokens
This is a great thread, and a BAD one,, all mixed in,,

The fact is this, there was NOT as much competition back in the 50s-60s-70s as there is Now,:ohno:

this is a GLOBAL sport, back then, there were but a few.

they Manicure the greens and the fairways 10000 times differently NOWADAYS than back when Jack was in his Prime,

Heres some trivia for anyone that gives a sht, when I was in Miami I used to cut the hair of an ex golf Pro, he told me a story about how arnold palmer got the name for his fans, "ARNIES ARMY", he said the truth is on the golf circuit, all the pros used to get pissed at him because he would get a group of a dozen or so people on the back of the green to stand at attention and he wold go for the PIN, knowing if he overshot and Hit a fan, they would bump the ball back onto the green.

If you ever get a chance to watch an OLD episode of SHELLS GOLF head to head competition from the 50s-60s I would lay a thous bucks you would laugh your BALLSS off,, its fkn hilarious,

No Trees, No Undulations in the fairways let alone the fkn greens!! FLAT FLAT, and virtually NO Trees, very littel sand, very little water,,

its just not the same game,,,

so to say Tiger isnt faceing the same competition is simply retarded,, He is faceing a MILLION times more competition!! whoever wrote that article should be fired!

as of today, VIJAY SINGH could go through time and pop in the 60s, he would SMOKE arnold, Jack, lee trevino, (lol he wouldnt be allowed to play on some fo the courses lolol, but he would SMOKE THEM)

its the same rediculous argument,

whos a better Boxer? Mike Tyson or ALi, the truth is this, (if your honest) Ali would destroy Tyson in the 70s with no Steroids,

however you take the TYSON of 1995 (not in prison) Hopped up on steroids jsut like Hollyfield,, and BOTh Hollyfield, and TYSON go back to 1970s they both would Emulsify Ali,,,

the honest answer to that question, is this, all sports evolve, Conditioning evolved, Man evolves,,,

Tater

Tokens
Well... the bottom line is that it's really hard to compare
players from different eras - for any sport.

On one hand I almost hate to compare players from different
eras, but on the other hand it can make for some interesting
discussion.

Tokens
It is harder to win a major on a tricked up layout(severe pin positions, speed of greens, etc.) against a full field(156 players) in this day and age, than against a handful of hall-of-famers. Also, today's equipment is a huge equalizer for inferior players.

Retired; APRIL 2014 Thank You Gambling
Tokens
bellyputter, youve seen SHELLS wonderful world of golf,, havent you? I think were close in age,,Ive only seent he reruns,

I see these guys playing a 340 par 4 and par it, (barely) lol,,, You and I on that same FLAT course could probably finish with the same dam score as Tommy Armour!!

lol
tater

Tokens
bellyputter, youve seen SHELLS wonderful world of golf,, havent you? I think were close in age,,Ive only seent he reruns,

I see these guys playing a 340 par 4 and par it, (barely) lol,,, You and I on that same FLAT course could probably finish with the same dam score as Tommy Armour!!

lol
tater
I used to watch the Shell golf shows when i was a kid. The Gaylord family bought the rights to them about 15 years ago. Many of the courses were in the 6500 yds range. Because of today's equipment, I hit the ball much farther now(57 years old) than I did when I played in college(OU).

AIG Bonus Recipient
Tokens
The fact is, I would love to think Jack would beat the hell of Tiger but I don't think he would beat Tiger 4 out of 10 in his prime. Tigers mental game is the best I've seen.

He makes players choke.

Tokens
The fact is, I would love to think Jack would beat the hell of Tiger but I don't think he would beat Tiger 4 out of 10 in his prime. Tigers mental game is the best I've seen.

He makes players choke.
He gets them out of their comfort zone more consistently than any athlete I've ever seen.

Tokens
I saw where Masters Pratice Round Tickets were going for about $350.00 online this year. You can get them cheaper than that outside the gates of Augusta if haggle enough. Masters Tickets are to some the most price gouged tickets in sports.

Tokens
I saw where Masters Pratice Round Tickets were going for about $350.00 online this year. You can get them cheaper than that outside the gates of Augusta if haggle enough. Masters Tickets are to some the most price gouged tickets in sports.
I remember in the 70s and 80s, when Masters' practice round tickets were $5-$10 and the crowds were sparse.

Tokens
I have seen Saturdays and Sundays round tickets before going for $2500.00. When I went to the pratice round last year, my buddy lucked up and got two tickets for $100.00 a piece from some crack head looking dude who ineventability had stole them from somebody at some point earlier that morning. We laughed about getting our Masters Tickets from a crack head, but it saved us $150.00 a piece and we spent the day walking the grounds at Augusta. We got Steven Ames and Chris Demarco's autograph. Colin Montgomerie is an overbearing English Ass. He was snubbing everyone. Could not get close to Tiger, but did see Phil Mickelson, Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, and CBS Sports Commentator Jim Nantz. Amen Corner is probably the most picturesque portion of the course and when you walk the entire back nine, your ass is tired when reach the clubhouse. At that point I was ready to head for the vehicle and call it a day. Would love to go back to Augusta National sometime.

Tokens
I would love to go to Agusta for the first time...maybe someday soon...

By the way, Tiger plays with more competitive players than Jack did....players made more money on Monday back when Arnie and Jack ruled...

Tokens
Well... the bottom line is that it's really hard to compare
players from different eras - for any sport.

On one hand I almost hate to compare players from different
eras, but on the other hand it can make for some interesting
discussion.
For every generation that goes by, the bar is risen for each sport. I've watched film of my OU Sooners national championship teams from the mid 70's. Those teams looked like small college football teams compared to what we see today. A good size offensive lineman backed then weighed about 275 pounds. Nothing compared to today. Those teams or players wouldn't hold up well against todays athletes, who are bigger, stronger and faster. Same with golf. Most of the golfers of yesteryear didn't spend hours in the weight room to prepare for the tour. The best players that dominate the PGA tour week in and week out now are all athletes who are in great shape. Every once in a while you'll see an out of shape golfer like Rocco Mediate jump up and have a hot week. But you never see these kinds of players on a consistent basis week in and week out like you used to see with somebody like Lee Trevino.

Self appointed RX World Champion Handicapper
Tokens

He makes players choke.

same thing happened when jack played.. if jack's name starting climbing the leaderboard , the other names starting falling off.

i dont think their is much difference in how each player dominated their generation.

Tokens
http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...ld-dominate-but-clock-is-ticking.html?sid=101

commentary
Woods could dominate, but clock is ticking

Saturday, January 22, 2011 02:52 AM

The Columbus Dispatch

A 35-year-old Tiger Woods has reached middle age. The government says so.
According to the U.S. Census, middle age runs in two stages, from 35 to 44 and 45 to 54. Woods seems too young to be lumped with those of us whose eyes require bifocaled correction, but who am I to argue with Uncle Sam? Besides, we will learn soon enough - over the next eight months or so - whether Woods is over the hill.
The PGA Tour season supposedly began last week in Hawaii and continues this weekend with the Bob Hope Classic, but only those who work on their shoulder turn all winter have paid attention. The unofficial start is next week at Torrey Pines outside of San Diego, where Woods will make his 2011 tour debut, along with Phil Mickelson - the only two tour players casual fans easily recognize.
At 40, Mickelson's career has crested. He has two or three more majors left in the bag - most likely at the Masters - but age always wins. Mickelson's championship moments are mostly behind him.
Woods, meanwhile, remains a rework in progress. He no longer is the world's No. 1 ranked player, a title he held for 281 weeks, from June 12, 2005 to Nov. 1, 2010, when Lee Westwood supplanted him. And there is real doubt whether he deserves to be ranked No. 2. Or No. 3. Is Woods even a top-10 golfer?
We're about to find out, which is why this PGA season has more intrigue than any since, well, last season. Actually, last season was more about rubbernecking a 20-car pileup than in finding intrigue in watching Woods return from his self-imposed getaway. Tiger finished fourth at the Masters, his first tournament since his personal issues forced him from the game nearly four months earlier. But after Augusta, his season followed his family life, which is to say things ended badly. He failed to win a PGA-sanctioned event for the first time since turning pro in 1996.
Now, having returned to bachelor status - his marriage to Elin Nordegren ended in August - the interest in Woods is not whether he will dominate but whether he even can win consistently. Tiger needs five more majors to break Jack Nicklaus' record of 18, which I contend will happen by the end of 2020, but not much before then. Winning just one major every other year would do the trick, and with golfers remaining competitive into their late 40s, Woods still has time on his side.
But winning majors and bringing peers to their knees - just describing Woods' challengers as peers is an odd-sounding change - are separate categories. After turning 40, Nicklaus won three majors - the 1980 U.S Open and PGA Championship and the 1986 Masters - but only two other tournaments. It wasn't simply that Jack began to age but that younger players began to mature into consistent winners. Greg Norman won five times from 1984 to '86. Tom Watson won 18 events from '80 to '84.
The argument for Woods continuing to dominate is that he still has five years until he hits 40, but his domestic downfall and multiple knee surgeries make him a relatively old 35. Even if he has put his personal issues behind him and his health is good, there is the simple matter of more players coming up to test him.
We've heard that before, of course, and Woods always wiped the young guns away like a golfer cleaning his spikes outside the clubhouse - effective if not always pretty. This time, however, younger players like Rory McIlroy and Martin Kaymer appear less flappable than players like Ernie Els and Sergio Garcia who often wilted during Woods' decade of intimidation. McIlroy is 21, which means to him Woods is an "old guy."
As the 2011 tour season truly heats up this week, our watching of Woods takes a new turn. Randall Mell of the Golf Channel captured it nicely.
"Last year was about everything Tiger Woods lost: his swing, his confidence, his respect. Even his family as he knew it," Mell said. "We're all eager to see what he can win back this year."
Can the middle-ager win back the dominance of his youth? Stay tuned.
Rob Oller is a sports reporter for The Dispatch.
roller@dispatch.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com