What Player Drafted By The NBA Do You Think Will Be A Bust?

Search

Professional At All Times
Tokens
For me it is Hasheem Thabeet. In college he towered over most players and could stand flat footed and block shots but he has no offensive skills whatsover. In the NBA, he is shorter only then Yao Ming but is physically not strong and I find it difficult to believe he will be able to develop offensive skills basically from zero.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=7>Chad Ford's 2009 Draft Board, Round 1</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width="10%"><NOBR>PICK</NOBR></TD><TD width="26%">TEAM</TD><TD>NAME</TD><TD width="7%">HT</TD><TD width="5%">WT</TD><TD width="5%">POS</TD><TD width="20%">SCHOOL</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>1</TD><TD class=tablemed>LA Clippers</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Blake Griffin</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-10</TD><TD class=tablemed>248</TD><TD class=tablemed>PF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Oklahoma</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>No suspense or surprise here -- Griffin is the best player on the board and should have an immediate impact on the court. Congratulations to the Clippers for not screwing this up.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>2</TD><TD class=tablemed>Memphis</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Hasheem Thabeet</TD><TD class=tablemed>7-3</TD><TD class=tablemed>267</TD><TD class=tablemed>C</TD><TD class=tablemed>Connecticut</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>I don't want to say I told you so, but ... Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley really wanted to improve their defense and Thabeet does that. He's the best shot-blocker in the draft and if he ever develops any offense, he could be a dominant big. I'm skeptical, but understand why they took Thabeet.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>3</TD><TD class=tablemed>Oklahoma City</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>James Harden</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-5</TD><TD class=tablemed>222</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Arizona State</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>We knew for months it was probably Harden or Rubio, and about 15 minutes before the draft we changed our mock draft to put Harden here. He's a great fit in the backcourt with Russell Westbrook and one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft. Obviously the Thunder couldn't make a trade with a team wanting Rubio. And you have to ask yourself, did Russell Westbrook make this pick for Sam Presti? He was fighting hard against Rubio and looks like he won.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>4</TD><TD class=tablemed>Sacramento</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Tyreke Evans</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-5</TD><TD class=tablemed>220</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Memphis</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>I thought the Kings ultimately would do the right thing and take Rubio, but instead they take Evans. He's not a point guard. But he's a physical combo guard who knows how to get to the rim. He can't shoot much and isn't super athletic, but he's big and strong and he'll make an impact right away. This was a short-term pick. It will look good early, but I wonder how it will look in five years.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>5</TD><TD class=tablemed>Minnesota (from Washington)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Ricky Rubio</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-5</TD><TD class=tablemed>180</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Spain</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>The Wolves get their man at No. 5. Great pick for Minnesota. They are rebuilding and now they have the new face of the franchise in Rubio. He's going to get to play right away and he'll make some mistakes. But I think he'll be really good in two to three years -- good enough that the Kings may regret passing on him. UPDATE: OK, something is going on. Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn are both point guards. I don't think they'll play on the floor together. There is a trade, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if someone got to the Wolves to get Rubio or Flynn.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>6</TD><TD class=tablemed>Minnesota</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Jonny Flynn</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-1</TD><TD class=tablemed>196</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Syracuse</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>Flynn is a great leader, tough and a good defender. I know the Wolves liked both Flynn and Rubio, but I doubt they keep both of these guys. My gut says that Rubio will be the one who's moved and Flynn will stay. But we'll see.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>7</TD><TD class=tablemed>Golden State</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Stephen Curry</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-3</TD><TD class=tablemed>181</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Davidson</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>One note on this pick: The Suns and Warriors were talking about moving Amare Stoudemire for Andris Biedrins, Brandan Wright and this pick. Could Curry be Steve Nash's replacement? But if Curry is staying with the Warriors, then so much for that alleged promise to Monta Ellis that they wouldn't draft a point guard. Then again, in Don Nelson's system, Curry can be a combo guard and a good fit with Ellis in the backcourt -- at least in theory. Ellis would be the slasher, and Curry would be the shooter. But they are both pretty small.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>8</TD><TD class=tablemed>New York</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Jordan Hill</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-10</TD><TD class=tablemed>232</TD><TD class=tablemed>PF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Arizona</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>The Knicks are relieved. They were praying that Flynn went in the top seven so that they could get either Curry or Hill. They wish that Curry had been there, but they liked Hill a lot, too. Mike D'Antoni compared him to a young Amare Stoudemire. I think that's a little much, but he'll be good in D'Antoni's up-tempo system and he's insurance if David Lee leaves via free agency. If Lee re-signs, Hill can play some center the same way Stoudemire did in Phoenix. Good pick.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>9</TD><TD class=tablemed>Toronto</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>DeMar DeRozan</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-6</TD><TD class=tablemed>211</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>USC</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>DeRozan has as much upside as anyone in the draft. He's long and athletic and he can be a spectacular scorer. He needs to get stronger and build his confidence, but the Raptors made this pick for the future. With Chris Bosh possibly leaving this summer or next, DeRozan can be part of a new core with Andrea Bargnani.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>10</TD><TD class=tablemed>Milwaukee</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Brandon Jennings</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-2</TD><TD class=tablemed>165</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Italy</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>The Bucks really started to fall in love with Jennings over the past few days. He has as much upside as any point guard in the draft. He's cat-quick and impossible to stay in front of, and if he fixes his shooting woes, he'll be a big-time scorer. In three or four years, this could be a home run for the Bucks. A risk, but in this draft, a good one.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>11</TD><TD class=tablemed>New Jersey</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Terrence Williams</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-6</TD><TD class=tablemed>213</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Louisville</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>With the Nets trading Vince Carter, they are starting over. Williams is one of the best athletes in the draft, has a ton of skills and can really defend. He's an eccentric dude and he doesn't always come to play, but when he does, wow. It will be fun to watch Devin Harris, Courtney Lee, Williams, Yi Jianlian and Brook Lopez grow up together. They'll lose a lot of games, but there's a lot of potential there.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>12</TD><TD class=tablemed>Charlotte</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Gerald Henderson</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-5</TD><TD class=tablemed>215</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Duke</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>Larry Brown loved Gerald Henderson from the first workout. He's a good athlete and excellent defender who could be the next Raja Bell. He's not a great shooter or a take-over offensive player, but I expect him to have a Raja-esque career.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>13</TD><TD class=tablemed>Indiana</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Tyler Hansbrough</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-10</TD><TD class=tablemed>234</TD><TD class=tablemed>PF</TD><TD class=tablemed>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>Don't you think Hansbrough's going to be popular in Indiana? As we've seen during his college years, he's a tough, physical, blue-collar guy who Larry Bird compared to Dave Cowens. The Pacers needed some toughness in the paint and Hansbrough brings it. He won't be great, but the Pacers are trying to build a team and Hansbrough is a good fit.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>14</TD><TD class=tablemed>Phoenix</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Earl Clark</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-10</TD><TD class=tablemed>226</TD><TD class=tablemed>SF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Louisville</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>The Suns have clearly decided to rebuild, and with Clark, they get one of the five top talents of the draft. Clark can do everything -- he's long and athletic and he can play multiple positions, including point forward. His effort was inconsistent at Louisville, but he's got as much upside as anyone in the draft. If they trade away Amare Stoudemire to Golden State, they'll have a nice young core with Andris Biedrins, Brandan Wright, Clark, Robin Lopez and (if they got the 7th pick) Stephen Curry. If that happens, the Suns won't be all that great from the get-go, but they'll be fun. The question is, will Steve Nash stay around to lead them?

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>15</TD><TD class=tablemed>Detroit</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Austin Daye</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-11</TD><TD class=tablemed>192</TD><TD class=tablemed>SF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Gonzaga</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>Austin Daye is a kid with a ton of upside. He's super skilled and he can shoot the lights out, like a 6-11 Stephen Curry. But he's really skinny and he doesn't have a killer instinct. Ultimately he could be a 4 if he gets stronger, but for now he'll back up Tayshaun Prince at the 3. Great upside pick for the Pistons.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>16</TD><TD class=tablemed>Chicago</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>James Johnson</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-8</TD><TD class=tablemed>257</TD><TD class=tablemed>PF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Wake Forest</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>The Bulls have wanted Johnson for a while. He's a good athlete who can play the 3 and the 4 on both ends of the floor. His game needs to develop, but when he gets going, he's something. He reminds me a little of Chicago's Tyrus Thomas in one way -- he'll play great one minute and have his coach pulling his hair out the next. With Thomas on the trade block, Johnson may ultimately be his replacement.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>17</TD><TD class=tablemed>Philadelphia</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Jrue Holiday</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-4</TD><TD class=tablemed>199</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>UCLA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>Holiday can take a huge sigh of relief. He slipped a bit, not because of his talent, but because of some concerns about a shoulder injury that were just enough to scare some teams away, a la what happened to Danny Granger with mild concerns about his knee a few years ago. This is a great pick for Philly, which gets a lottery talent at 17 and has its point guard of the future.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>18</TD><TD class=tablemed>Minnesota (from Miami, rights to T. Lawson traded to Denver for future considerations)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Ty Lawson</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-1</TD><TD class=tablemed>199</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>No, the Timberwolves aren't running a three-PG offense. They're moving Lawson to Denver for a future first-round pick. He'll be a really good backup for Chauncey Billups. He flies up and down the floor and is as steady as they come.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>19</TD><TD class=tablemed>Atlanta</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Jeff Teague</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-2</TD><TD class=tablemed>175</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Wake Forest</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>The Hawks have acquired Jamal Crawford but weren't done remaking their backcourt. Teague had the quickest first step in college basketball and is difficult to stop from getting in the paint. He's a great upside pick for Atlanta. Don't expect Mike Bibby back in Atlanta.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>20</TD><TD class=tablemed>Utah</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Eric Maynor</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-3</TD><TD class=tablemed>164</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>VA Commonwealth</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>I thought they might go with Sam Young here, but I have to admit that I love this pick for the Jazz. They needed a backup for Deron Williams, and Maynor is perfect for Utah as one of the most NBA-ready players in the draft. He has a high basketball IQ and great leadership qualities. The Jazz fill a need and get a guy who I think is the most underrated player in the draft.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>21</TD><TD class=tablemed>New Orleans</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Darren Collison</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-2</TD><TD class=tablemed>166</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>UCLA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>Collison is a bit of a surprise here. The Hornets had one tiny point guard in Chris Paul and now they have two. They had bigger needs than backup point guard, but I do believe he's going to be terrific in that role ... if Chris Paul ever leaves the floor, that is.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>22</TD><TD class=tablemed>Portland (from Dallas)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Victor Claver</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-11</TD><TD class=tablemed>217</TD><TD class=tablemed>SF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Spain</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>We had the Blazers pegged to take Claver with the 31st pick. I knew they really liked DeJuan Blair but they must have been scared off by his bad knees. Claver will stay overseas for maybe three years, but he's got great potential. He's athletic, skilled and one of the best up-and-coming talents in Spain. But I wonder if Portland will regret passing on Blair.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>23</TD><TD class=tablemed>Sacramento (from Houston)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Omri Casspi</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-9</TD><TD class=tablemed>211</TD><TD class=tablemed>SF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Israel</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>I travel to Israel and have seen him a number of times. He's a very tough, scrappy, slashing player. He's not a shooter yet and he'll need to put on some pounds, but clearly the Kings are trying to add some toughness. Congratulations to all the basketball fans in Israel. They love the NBA and have been waiting for a first-round pick for years. The Kings are a great fit and Andres Nocioni should be the perfect mentor for him.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>24</TD><TD class=tablemed>Dallas (from Portland, traded to Oklahoma City for rights to R. Beaubois)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>B.J. Mullens</TD><TD class=tablemed>7-1</TD><TD class=tablemed>258</TD><TD class=tablemed>C</TD><TD class=tablemed>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>The Mavs are trading this pick to the Thunder for No. 25 and a future second-round pick. The Thunder have been looking to get Mullens for weeks and tried to get up as high as No. 14 to get him. Clearly, Sam Presti sees something he likes. Mullens reminds me a lot of a young Darko Milicic, for both good and bad -- he's skilled and athletic, but he doesn't really know how to play.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>25</TD><TD class=tablemed>Oklahoma City (from San Antonio, traded to Dallas for rights to B.J. Mullens)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Rodrigue Beaubois</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-2</TD><TD class=tablemed>182</TD><TD class=tablemed>PG</TD><TD class=tablemed>France</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>The Thunder are making this pick for the Mavs. Dallas wanted a point guard and fell in love with Beaubois' upside. He's very long, quick and explosive athletically. He doesn't have a great feel for the game, but he should develop that overseas in the next few years.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>26</TD><TD class=tablemed>Chicago (from Denver through Oklahoma City)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Taj Gibson</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-10</TD><TD class=tablemed>214</TD><TD class=tablemed>PF</TD><TD class=tablemed>USC</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>Gibson is a good pick for the Bulls in that he's long and athletic and has some upside. But with so many young, skinny frontcourt players, I'm not sure how he fits exactly.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>27</TD><TD class=tablemed>Memphis (from Orlando)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>DeMarre Carroll</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-8</TD><TD class=tablemed>207</TD><TD class=tablemed>PF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Missouri</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>I love this pick for the Grizzlies. He's a great energy player who flies up and down the floor, can handle the ball and creates havoc on the defensive end. He's a more skilled version of Renaldo Balkman.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>28</TD><TD class=tablemed>Minnesota (from Boston)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Wayne Ellington</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-5</TD><TD class=tablemed>202</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>OK, the Wolves finally decided to draft something other than a point guard. Ellington is a terrific shooter, which the Wolves will need with Rubio and/or Flynn on the team. He diversified his game this year and might be a bit underrated. This is a nice pick this far down in the draft.

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD class=tablemed>29</TD><TD class=tablemed>LA Lakers (rights to T. Douglas traded to NY Knicks)</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Toney Douglas</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-2</TD><TD class=tablemed>183</TD><TD class=tablemed>SG</TD><TD class=tablemed>Florida State</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD colSpan=7>The Knicks fell in love with Douglas after a workout and bought this pick to get him. Douglas is a bit of a poor man's Ben Gordon, a combo guard who can really light it up. He lets the 3s fly and, unlike Gordon, is a terrific defender. This is a really good pick for New York this late.

</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD class=tablemed>30</TD><TD class=tablemed>Cleveland</TD><TD class=tablemed noWrap>Christian Eyenga</TD><TD class=tablemed>6-6</TD><TD class=tablemed>210</TD><TD class=tablemed>SF</TD><TD class=tablemed>Congo</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD colSpan=7>Wow, this is a bit of a surprise with Sam Young and DeJuan Blair still on the board. I think Danny Ferry has learned well from the Spurs' model of drafting high-upside players from overseas. Eyenga is very athletic and has been compared to a young Mickael Pietrus. He's a terrific defender but pretty raw offensively. He played for the same team as Ricky Rubio, but played on the second-division squad. He's a down- the-road pick for the Cavs. We'll check back in on him in a few years.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tokens
I'll go with B. J. Mullens. dude couldnt even start for OSU last year.

Tokens
Thabeet and Harden, both will be huge busts IMO

DeJuan Blair will be a solid pro, 10/10 type guy and will fit his role well.

Tokens
Ricky Rubio. Y'all crazy who think Jennings and Evans are gonna be busts. Best of the draft? DEFINITELY Stephen Curry. I feel like Jrue Holiday is gonna be a VERY pleasant surprise as well.

Look out for GS. Curry and possibly Amare?? DAYUMMMM.....

Tokens
Ricky Rubio. Y'all crazy who think Jennings and Evans are gonna be busts. Best of the draft? DEFINITELY Stephen Curry. I feel like Jrue Holiday is gonna be a VERY pleasant surprise as well.

I just hope the Warriors hold on to Curry as Phoenix wants him in the deal for Amare. Would rather have Curry then Amare.

Tokens
why, you already got monte

Curry is a much better shooter then Ellis. I can see them both playing together with Curry being the off guard. Remember, the Warriors love shooting the 3's. That's their game. Curry fits in beautifully. It would be nice to have Amare but he plays defense like a sieve.

Official Rx music critic and beer snob
Tokens

Whats so special about Jennings? He better be ready to play hard every night, Skiles demands it.

The guy you fade... fades me
Tokens
I think Jennings, Hill, Daye, Mullens, and DeRozan are flops.

Tokens
Just looking at this list, I don't see any of these people becoming anything more than a mediocre starter (13-15 ppg) in the NBA.

Griffin is the best, but I don't really like anyone else. Terrence Williams is a guy I thought should have been drafted higher.

Jello is Jigglin, butta gettin hard, eggs are cool
Tokens
Time will tell, but this is one of the least talented/size/ skilled/athletic/saavy drafts in quite a while. Many busts (depending on your interpretation of "BUST") IMO. Jrue Holiday going at 17 is indicative of what I am talking about. The research shows, that most 2nd rounders never "make it". Some guys that came out & got drafted were not great/good college players! When non all-conference players are selected, it underscores the situation.

Official Rx music critic and beer snob
Tokens
When non all-conference players are selected, it underscores the situation.

Not necessarily. If they have the skill-set for the pros, I would choose them with a mid-1st round pick over players like Hansborough or Luke Harangody. Players that dominate their conference, but are tweeners, or slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com