sports novels

Search

Banned
Tokens
an earlier thread -- one that asked if it was cool to return books to the store after buying and then reading them -- got me to thinking about this. How many good sports novels are out there? I got to looking through my collection of books (which is modest, but no doubt more robust than any of the degenerates who might read this) and was surprised to find that not a single novel which occupied precious space on my shelves dealt with sports. Not one. I have read everything from Stephen King to Tom Wolfe and Larry Mcmurty, but the most that any of the books on my shelf had to do with a sport was maybe a character who drove his son to Little League before offing his wife. I can think of several movies off the top of my head: The Program, Blue Chips, Two For the Money (yes, I do consider gambling a sport, although most folks elect to call me lazy), and so on. But what about books? With the exception of how to and historical books, why are sports not included in more novels as the central theme?

After that, I wondered what would make a good idea for a novel that uses a major sport as a central theme. I mean, you can possibly have a major league baseball player murder his wife and the story revolves around the investigation and his sordid personal details, but does that make it a sports novel? Or a novel about a terrorist planning to blow up the Super Bowl? A sports novel should embody the sport it involves, add insight to the game, and have an outcome on which a lot depends. That is why they say it is hard to make a book about a sport -- every sport has a season of several games, and during that season a reader would be burned out by too much detail of the tension surrounding every game. And to honestly claim it as a sports novel, one would have to create it in a way that would not burn the reader out with the details of every outcome.

For a novel writer looking for a subject that has a lot of tension and conflict built into it, sports is definitely a subject to explore, whether it's poker (they say I'm lazy) or football. But how do you stay away from the familiar: a team trying to win to keep from being shut down, a coach trying to win to save his (insert whatever), and so on and so forth. How do you add something fresh that gives insight, provides tension, and does not bog the reader down with the day to day conflict of a long season?

This was my thought: how about a book about a major league umpire who is involved in really bad things. the reader could learn the interesting details of an umpire as he goes from city to city. the umpire has contacts in these cities who help him plot his dastardly deeds. maybe the good guys discover his plot during game 7 of the World Series and he is arrested on the field during the middle of the game. in the meantime, through the umpire's pespective and those pursuing him, we get a lot of baseball action. would this constitute a sports novel? is anyone still reading this?

anybody got a better idea?@)

Tokens
You could always try "The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams" By Lawrence Block

Book overview

518T5AWMDSL.jpg

<TABLE id=summary_content_table><TBODY><TR><TD id=bookinfo>Since we last saw burglar-cum-bookseller Bernie Rhodenbarr - some ten years ago - his creator, Lawrence Block, has gone on to become one of the most respected names in crime fiction. His Matthew Scudder series has won numerous awards, as well as the highest praise from both critics and readers alike. So, how does an author top all that success? By bringing back that infamous burglar, Bernie Rhodenbarr, to burgle once again. Just to update you on Bernie. For nearly a year he's walked the straight and narrow and has coaxed his secondhand bookstore in New York's Greenwich Village into turning a small profit. He's even allowed a cat to move in, and struggled with nocturnal retirement. Then Borden Stoppelgard comes into Bernie's life. Not a nice man. Borden is Bernie's new landlord, and wants to increase the rent by ten thousand dollars - a month! Desperate times call for desperate measures. By chance, or so it seems, Bernie discovers a West Side apartment whose occupants are in Europe, slips inside with his usual finesse, lifts a large sum of untraceable cash with his usual aplomb, and spots a naked dead man in the bathtub. Now, across town another burglary has taken place - at Stoppelgard's brother-in-law's apartment - and what's missing is a million-dollar baseball card collection. Somehow Bernie's been blamed (read: framed) for that crime. Toss in a mysterious woman and a crotchety New York police detective to Bernie's troubles, then mix well for a burglar in big trouble. What's the best way out? Why, to find the baseball cards and steal them back, of course. In The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams, Lawrence Block once again gives us a riveting story and shows us a great time. It's crimefiction with a laugh track. And while he may be older, he may be wiser, and certainly more skillful, thank goodness he's still a bad boy at heart. Bernie, too. Reason enough for fans to rejoice.

Available at Amazon.com

wil...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PS. In all seriousness all of Lawrence Block's crime fiction works are very entertaining. He has won numerous writing awards in his genre.

Lawrence Block Home Page

Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit
Tokens
I give two thumbs up to Bang The Drum Slowly, by Mark Harris

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_the_Drum_Slowly

A short summary is at the above link and it does not contain spoilers.

BTDS was made into a movie in 1973 and featured a then unknown actor - Robert DeNiro - in one of the two leading roles (Bruce Pearson).

Tokens
2) Shoeless Joe, by W.P. Kinsella.....more well known for its own film adaption - Field of Dreams

Tokens
3) North Dallas Forty by Pete Gent, a former WR for the Cowboys during the 1960s

A fictional accounting molded after the late 60s, early 70s Dallas Cowboys. The two lead characters are serious caricatures of QB Don Meredith and WR Gent. The head coach is most certainly a replica of Tom Landry and the GM that of Tex Schramm

It was also made into one of the better sports films in 1979

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dallas_Forty

Again, no spoilers in the above link

Tokens
4) Semi Tough - A very good novel about professional football players.

The later film adaptation was moderately decent, but the script was rewritten to include a couple of alternative non-football storylines, while the novel focused more on football

Tokens
You can't go wrong with Dan Jenkins.

Greatest Moments in Tcu Football History
by Dan Jenkins (Editor), Francis J. Fitzgerald (Editor), Francis J. Fitzgerald, Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, North Star Visions (October 1996)
List Price: $29.95

2. The Hogan Mystique
by Martin Davis, Dan Jenkins, Ben Crenshaw, Jules Alexander (Photographer), Ken Venturi, Dave Anderson, Jules Alexander
Hardcover, Ingram Pub Services (September 1994)
List Price: $60.00

3. Texas Christian University Football Vault
by Dan Jenkins, LaDainian (AFT) Tomlinson, Gary Patterson (Foreword by)
Hardcover, Whitman Pub Llc (September 2008)
List Price: $49.95

4. Baja Oklahoma *****
by Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Simon & Schuster (September 1981)
Other Formats: | Paperback |
List Price: $12.95

5. The Franchise Babe: A Novel
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Broadway Books (June 2009)
Other Formats: | Hardcover |
List Price: $14.00

6. Dead Solid Perfect *****
by Dan Jenkins
Book, Atheneum (January 1974)

7. The Dogged Victims of Inexorable Fate *****
by Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Classics of Golf (March 1988)
List Price: $29.00

8. The Money-Whipped Steer-Job Three-Jack Give-Up Artist
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Bantam Dell Pub Group (May 2002)
List Price: $16.00

9. You Call It Sports, but I Say It's a Jungle Out There
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Simon & Schuster (September 1990)
List Price: $9.95

10. Doak Walker: More Than a Hero
by Whit Canning, Dan Jenkins (Editor)
Hardcover, McGraw-Hill (December 1997)

11. Limo *****
by Dan Jenkins, Edwin Shrake
Book, Atheneum (January 1976)

12. Slim And None
by Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Bantam Dell Pub Group (May 2005)
List Price: $24.95

13. Rude Behavior
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Bantam Books (October 1999)
List Price: $7.50

14. I'll Tell You One Thing
by Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Andrews McMeel Pub (December 1999)
List Price: $27.95

15. Fairways and Greens: The Best Golf Writing of Dan Jenkins
by Dan Jenkins *****
Paperback, Bantam Dell Pub Group (June 1995)
List Price: $13.95

16. Life Its Ownself: The Semi-Tougher Adventures of Billy Clyde Puckett and Them *****
by Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Simon & Schuster (October 1984)
List Price: $15.95

17. You Gotta Play Hurt
by Dan Jenkins
Audio Cassette, St Martins Pr (December 1991)
Other Formats: | Hardcover | Paperback |

18. But Not for Love
by Edwin Shrake, Dan Jenkins (Foreword by)
Paperback, Texas A & M Univ Pr (September 2000)
List Price: $16.95

19. Confederate and Union Buttons of the Gulf Coast 1861 1865
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Museum of the City Mobile (November 1983)
List Price: $6.00

20. Jack Nicklaus: Simply the Best.
by Martin Davis, Dave Anderson, Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Ingram Pub Services (May 2007)
Football
by Walter Iooss, Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Harry N Abrams Inc (October 1986)
List Price: $19.95

22. Darrell Royal: Dance With Who Brung Ya
by Mike Jones, Dan Jenkins (Editor)

23. John David Crow: Heart of a Companion
by Steve Pate, Dan Jenkins (Editor)

24. Semi-Tough *****
by Dan Jenkins, Sally Jenkings (Introduction by)
Paperback, Transition Vendor (July 2006)

25. The Blackie Sherrod Collection
by Blackie Sherrod, Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Natl Book Network (April 1988)
List Price: $14.95

26. Football
by Walter Looss, Dan Jenkins
Hardcover, Abradale/Abrams (August 1988)
List Price: $19.95

27. Bubba Talks: Of Life, Love, Sex, Whiskey, Politics, Foreigners, Teenagers, Movies, Food, Football, and Other Matters That Occasionally Concern Human *****
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Bantam Dell Pub Group (October 1993)
List Price: $15.00

28. The Hogan Mystique: Classic Photographs of the Great Ben Hogan by Jules Alexander
by Martin Davis, Dan Jenkins, Tracy Behar (Editor), Ken Venturi, Ben Crenshaw, Dave Anderson, Jules Alexander (Photographer)
Hardcover, Bantam Dell Pub Group (September 1997)

29. Best American Sports Writing 1995
by Dan Jenkins (Editor), Glenn Stout (Editor)
Hardcover, Houghton Mifflin (November 1995)
List Price: $24.95

30. Fast Copy: A Novel
by Dan Jenkins, Sally Jenkins (Foreword by)
Paperback, Texas A & M Univ Pr (April 2001)
List Price: $16.95

Slim and None: A Novel
by Dan Jenkins
Paperback, Bantam Dell Pub Group (May 2006)
List Price: $14.95

32. Sam Baugh: Best There Ever Was
by Whit Canning, Dan Jenkins (Editor)

***** are must reads although as I already mentioned you can't go wrong with anything by Dan Jenkins.

wil.

Tokens
5) The Natural - Bernard Malamud

Very similar storyline (mostly) to the 1980s movie adaptation starring Robert Redford

Tokens
Some Classics any avid sports fan who reads should not miss.

The Boys of Summer

By Roger Kahn (1971)

A baseball book the same way Moby Dick is a fishing book, this account of the early-'50s Brooklyn Dodgers is, by turns, a novelistic tale of conflict and change, a tribute, a civic history, a piece of nostalgia and, finally, a tragedy, as the franchise's 1958 move to Los Angeles takes the soul of Brooklyn with it. Kahn writes eloquently about the memorable games and the Dodgers' penchant for choking -- "Wait Till Next Year" is their motto -- but the most poignant passages revisit the Boys in autumn. An auto accident has rendered catcher Roy Campanella a quadriplegic. Dignified trailblazer Jackie Robinson is mourning the death of his son. Sure-handed third baseman Billy Cox is tending bar. No book is better at showing how sports is not just games.

Paper Lion

By George Plimpton (1965)

No one today does what the fearless Plimpton once did with regularity. Here, in his first Walter Mitty-esque effort, the author of the equally brilliant Shadow Box and The Bogey Man infiltrates the Detroit training camp as a quarterback with no arm, no legs and no shot.

Seabiscuit (must read)

By Laura Hillenbrand (2001)

People who've never been to the racetrack love this book, and it's easy to see why. Hillenbrand has an irresistible story to tell, about a homely hay burner who came to dominate the Depression-era sports pages, taking a colorful crew of humans along for the ride.

The Breaks of the Game

By David Halberstam (1981)

The Pulitzer Prize winner (for his Vietnam War coverage) focuses on the 1979-80 Trail Blazers. Like A Season on the Brink, Breaks proves that a down year can make for high drama. Halberstam's baseball books, Summer of '49 and October 1964, are also excellent.

Instant Replay

By Jerry Kramer and Dick Schaap (1968)

After a publishing exec implored him to find the "football Brosnan" (see above), Schaap corralled Kramer, a literate lineman for Lombardi's Green Bay Packers. The book climaxes with Bart Starr's sneaking behind Kramer's block to win the Ice Bowl against the Cowboys
The Natural

The Natural </STONG>

By Bernard Malamud (1952)

The movie was a Mawkish Rocky-in-flannels, but the novel is a darker, more subtle tale of phenom Roy Hobbs, who loses his prime years to a youthful indiscretion, then gets a second chance. TIME called the novel (which ends differently from the film) "preposterously readable."

About Three Bricks Shy of a Load (another must read)

By Roy Blount Jr. (1974)

Blount spent the '73 season following (and drinking with) the predynasty Steelers. (As the subtitle says, they were "Super but Missed the Bowl.") The stars are all here, but it's colorful second-stringers such as Moon Mullins and Craig Hanneman that make this an unforgettable romp.

The Red Smith Reader

By Red Smith (1982) (You won't be able to put it down if you are 40 or older).

These columns by the man The New York Times said "was to sports what Homer was to war" offer Smith on Willie Mays, Vince Lombardi and Leon Trotsky. On the Shot Heard Round the World: "Only the utterly impossible, the inexpressibly fantastic, can ever be plausible again."

Eight Men Out

By Eliot Asinof (1963)

The final word on the controversial 1919 Black Sox scandal, a critical event in sports history. Former minor leaguer Asinof persuasively argues that the only participant worthy of exoneration is not Shoeless Joe Jackson but third baseman Buck Weaver.

No Cheering in the Press Box

By Jerome Holtzman (1973)

This oral history of 18 golden-age sportswriters shows that greats such as Cannon, Gallico and Smith could talk it as well as they wrote it. Cannon sums up their philosophy: "Sportswriting has survived because of the guys who don't cheer. They're the truth-tellers. Lies die."

Tokens
wilheim, I wasn't aware Dan Jenkins had a new book out("The Franchise Babe"). In my opinion, the best ONE of all, is "The Dogged Victims Of Inexorable Fate." My former golf instructor is a character(Ernie Vossler) in the book.

Tokens
Like Wil and many others here, I've read my share of great baseball (non-fiction) books.

The one that holds up best for me is Bums - An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers

Banned
Tokens
thanks for the suggestions. there's more out there than i thought. just ordered The Fan off amazon.

Tokens
2) Shoeless Joe, by W.P. Kinsella.....more well known for its own film adaption - Field of Dreams

Kinsella is one of my very favorite writers. Lots of his short stories use baseball as a central theme, and almost all are great reading.

He had another full-length novel as well: The Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

The Natural is one of the few instances where the movie is better than the book. I didn't care for the novel at all.

Bingo Long's Travelling All-Stars and Motor Kings is another good one, but again the movie is still better than the book.

Everybody's All-American and For Love of the Game are beautiful novels.

Tokens
wilheim, I wasn't aware Dan Jenkins had a new book out("The Franchise Babe"). In my opinion, the best ONE of all, is "The Dogged Victims Of Inexorable Fate." My former golf instructor is a character(Ernie Vossler) in the book.

That is a terrific read and just a smidge for me behind Dead Solid Perfect as far as humorous golf books go. (I am not talking instructional books).

Ernie Vossler has had a great career as a PGA Professional who tought many tour winners over the years. He along with Jenkins made Goats Hills Golf Course in Ft Worth famous on their own. I believe he was PGA Professional of The year one year during the mid 60s.

Ben Hogan and Bryan Nelson were instrumental in Ernie getting on the PGA tour where he won several times.

His real contributions to the game came in the way of teaching, course construction and expansion of the PGA Tour to what it is today.

wil.

Tokens
if you enjoy baseball bio's, these 3 are sooooo excellent.

1) joe dimaggio: the heroes life, by richard ben cramer

2) ted williams: the biography of an american hero, by leigh montville

3) clemente: the passion and grace of baseball's last hero, by david maraniss

Tokens
JoeFalls

All three are excellent inspirational and well written bios. On another level but still worth the time to read is Ball Four written by Jim Bouton.

The book talks about Bouton's career with the New York Yankees, the Houston Astros, and primarily his season with the Seattle Pilots (the club's only year in existence).

Very controversial when it came out in 1970, Baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn called Ball Four "detrimental to baseball," and tried to force Bouton to sign a statement saying that the book was completely fictional. Bouton, however, refused to deny any of Ball Four's anecdotes. Many of Bouton's teammates never forgave him for publicly airing what he had learned in private about their personal quirks and pecadillos.

Ball Four pioneered the way for the sports expose genre of tell all books like Juiced by Jose Conseco and The Bronx Zoo by Sparky Lyle plus others from several different sports.

wil.

Tokens
'the boys of summer', old, but timeless. excellent read. if u don't understand what the brouhaha is w/jackie robinson, u will after ur done reading.

Tokens
Who else when they were younger used to read Matt Christopher Sports books?? I still remember those books, man I must have checked out everyone from my local library when i was a kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greetvape
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com