OT: Need Advice on a a Gym's Unfair Business Practice

Search

Tokens
Something happened to my parents last week and I wanted to get some advice on what action we can take.

My mother has owned a Japanese restaurant for 15 years. The manager and owner of World Gym (it's a national chain) used to be regular customers years ago. It's practically across the street from each other. So they wanted to trade gift certficates. She gave them $650 in value and they gave her the same amount. That amount they gave covered a year membership for 2 people.

That was almost 4 years ago. On the gift certificate to the gym it says when it is valid and then says "expires: never" and signed.

Since there was no expiration, my mom and step-father kept putting off joining the gym. You know people put off exercising for a long time. Finally today they went over there to join.

They were met by a new owner and told the person who signed off on the gift certificate is no longer employed there. Nor is the owner at the time the gift certificate was issued. However we believe it's owned by a family and that it was owned by a different person in the family. OR the guy is just lying about it being a new owner. So he claims the certficate was not valid.

My mom didn't know it changed owners. Just noticed the old owner and manager never came in to eat anymore. They did use up the $650 given to them since they came in often to eat.

The new owner was only willing to give them a 2 month membership. The $650 should have covered year membership for two people.

Of course my mom and step father refused because they felt it was not right. The name on the gift certificate and store both say World's Gym. Same exact location. So even though it is he claims it's under new ownership, the name is still the same.

The owner offered to give the 2 months and then trade gift certificates again for the rest of the months. She obviously refused.

After being shocked by the treatment they were getting, they were just going to leave for now.

They asked for the certificate back. That's when the owner ripped it up, threw it in the trash and said it was his. He gave a look like "tough luck". That got my stepdad fuming. He couldn't believe it. My step father called the police. The owner went to calll the police as well. The police that first arrived seemed to be friends with the owner cause they acted like buddies.

When the owner was talking to my parents, he was an ass. But when the police came it was "yes sir" this and "yes sir" that.

After talking, the police said the best the owner could do was to give three months free. Clearly by now they wouldn't even want to workout there for one day. They said no and just wanted the gift certificate back.

It was retrieved from the trash and given back.

So what can they do?

They are upset of course. They are more upset about how the owner handled it. They feel it is not right. However they feel the gym should not just be able to walk away.

The certificate says not reedemable for cash so I don't think they can get $650 back, which would be the best. They will not exercise there even if they were given free membership for a year. They would just let a friend or employee use it.

They just felt this is not a fair way to do business. Shouldn't the certificate still be redeemable? Same company. Same name. Same location.

What can they do? Should they talk to a lawyer? Can they do anything?

The gym should not be able to get away with this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice!

Tokens
Terrible situation for your family as its obvious the people who gave your mom that gift certificate were assholes and the new guy running the gym is an asshole. If I were your parents I would just let it go because if they go and hire a lawyer, that is going to cost way more then just spending what it would cost on top of the three free months for a one year gym membership.

If I were the new guy running the gym I would of given them the year, but in his defense if the other guy who no longer works at the gym gave your parents the gift certificate that "never expired" and didn't have the power to do so at the time, then there's really nothing that can be done. It also puts the new guy in charge in a bad spot.

Tokens
NOT WORTH PAYING FOR A LAWYER. WHEN YOU WAIT FOR 4 YEARS TO USE SOMETHING, THIS ONE OF THE SITUATIONS THAT I WOULD EXPECT TO HAPPEN, EVEN THOUGH IT DID SAY NEVER.

DOES A MEMBERSHIP REALLY COST THEM ANYTHING??? REALLY??? THOUGH. COSTS ARE MOSTLY FIXED, MAYBE THEY WOULKD USE SOME WATER....

Businesses are bought and sold all the time with same names... thats part of the deal, but the new owners should take on obligations of former owners as part of the deal.

Tokens
I would say file a case in a small claims court, the amount owed is small and even though I am not a lawyer it stands to reason that you have a valid case.

RX Senior
Tokens
Unh. I would just shrug it off and move on. Funny that you took the time to type that out over a gym membership though.

BOL

Tokens
judgejudy02.jpg

Tokens
Unh. I would just shrug it off and move on. Funny that you took the time to type that out over a gym membership though.

BOL

Thanks guys for writing.

I think that if the owner was friendlier and handled it better they would have let it go. They were ready to leave and just wanted the gift certificate back. I don't know what they planned on doing after that.

The boiling point was when the owner ripped up the certificate and threw it in the trash. Who does that? What an asshole!! Have any of you ever heard anyone doing that before?

It just happened to be a gym but I wrote about it cause of the way they do business. Ridiculous!! It could have been any business really.

I Googled World Gym and noticed a website where a lot of people complained about other locations. Mainly on stuff like unable to cancel contracts and billing them too much.

Tokens
Tough situation, but yea - I'd just let it go... I can't see the time/money you and your folks would spend fighting it being worth it. Maybe a call to the BBB to file a report?

RX Senior
Tokens
Thanks guys for writing.

I think that if the owner was friendlier and handled it better they would have let it go. They were ready to leave and just wanted the gift certificate back. I don't know what they planned on doing after that.

The boiling point was when the owner ripped up the certificate and threw it in the trash. Who does that? What an asshole!! Have any of you ever heard anyone doing that before?

It just happened to be a gym but I wrote about it cause of the way they do business. Ridiculous!! It could have been any business really.

I Googled World Gym and noticed a website where a lot of people complained about other locations. Mainly on stuff like unable to cancel contracts and billing them too much.
I agree. That was pretty messed up and uncalled for. If anything could have saved it for proof.

Probably don't want to go to some place with a dick head like that anyways.

Tokens
Tough situation, but yea - I'd just let it go... I can't see the time/money you and your folks would spend fighting it being worth it. Maybe a call to the BBB to file a report?

Good advice and what i would recommend. Don't waste your time with these a-holes. Tell everyone you know about your experience and get the word out to avoid this place

Tokens
Chances are, the restaurant gets customers from the gym over the years. A petty lawsuit might spread bad publicity from the new owner of the gym that could cause alot more than $650 in the long run. Walk away. Lesson learned.

Tokens
Hold Your Horses Boys......World Gym is a franchise !!

I am Sure, they would Love to Hear this Story

T.R. World Gym, LLC
113 Crosby Rd., Ste. 15
Dover, NH 03820-4370
NH Tel. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE /><SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_highlight_0 class=skype_v3_tb_injection title=Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +16037424443 mode=".modern" context="603-742-4443" durex="%DADDYWIDTH%" durex2="%DADDYHEIGHT%" path="file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/" type=".flex" fwidth="" freecall="" isfax="" nof="" skypeaction="call" skypeid="0"><SKYPE:SPAN id=skype_v3_tb_nop0 class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_a.modern.flex.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_droppart_0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgA_flex title="Skype actions" skypeaction="drop" skypeid="0" skypesms="0"> <SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/famfamfam/US.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_f0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgFlag></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_s.flex.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_s0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgS> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_text0 class=skype_v3_tb_injectionIn><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_innerText0 class=skype_v3_tb_innerText> 603-742-4443 </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_r.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_r0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgR><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_print_0 class=skype_v3_tb_injection_print context="">603-742-4443</SKYPE:SPAN>
Toll Free <SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_highlight_1 class=skype_v3_tb_injection title=Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +18005447441 mode=".modern" context="800-544-7441" durex="%DADDYWIDTH%" durex2="%DADDYHEIGHT%" path="file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/" type=".flex" fwidth="" freecall="" isfax="" nof="" skypeaction="call" skypeid="1"><SKYPE:SPAN id=skype_v3_tb_nop1 class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_a.modern.flex.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_droppart_1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgA_flex title="Skype actions" skypeaction="drop" skypeid="1" skypesms="0"> <SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/famfamfam/US.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_f1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgFlag></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_s.flex.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_s1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgS> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_text1 class=skype_v3_tb_injectionIn><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_innerText1 class=skype_v3_tb_innerText> 800-544-7441 </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_r.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_r1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgR><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_print_1 class=skype_v3_tb_injection_print context="">800-544-7441</SKYPE:SPAN>

:drink:

Tokens
i think its your own fault for waiting four years, espically if you never see the people who made the offer anymore, its obvious they no longer own it or have moved on to a new position.

Tokens
They should have taken the 2 months then agreed to a trade for the other 10 months. Then when the gym owners come in to eat your parents tell them they don't own the restuarant anymore and can't honour the trade.

Tokens
I agree with 5teamparlay. The situation sucks but I can't believe they waited this long.

Tokens
Gyms are notorious for shady business practices. This form of swindling you describe is far less egregious than what they are capable of.

However, if I witnessed some a-hole tear up my one piece of evidence, I would be very tempted to declare all-out war on the guy. Unfortunately, your parents might win the war and have nothing to show for it. I say they are best off just using this episode as a learning experience.

UF. Champion U.
Tokens
Court is the last route you want to go. Nice guys finish last in court, and the only people who end up making money are the lawyers. The time spent, frustration, mediation, money spent, etc will drain them. They will wish they never got involved in the whole thing over a measley $650.

I would have them write a formal letter to the franchise headquarters wherever they are located and tell them about the story. Get the big dogs involved and let them know how this particular franchise chain is running their business. See if they will do anything. If not, chalk it up to as a lesson learned. You have to look in the mirror at some point and put partial blame on them for waiting for 4 years when dealing with gyms. Gyms are worse than used car dealers and TOUTS. LMAO.

Tokens
Hold Your Horses Boys......World Gym is a franchise !!

I am Sure, they would Love to Hear this Story

T.R. World Gym, LLC
113 Crosby Rd., Ste. 15
Dover, NH 03820-4370
NH Tel. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE /><SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_highlight_0 class=skype_v3_tb_injection title=Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +16037424443 mode=".modern" context="603-742-4443" durex="%DADDYWIDTH%" durex2="%DADDYHEIGHT%" path="file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/" type=".flex" fwidth="" freecall="" isfax="" nof="" skypeaction="call" skypeid="0"><SKYPE:SPAN id=skype_v3_tb_nop0 class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_a.modern.flex.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_droppart_0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgA_flex title="Skype actions" skypeaction="drop" skypeid="0" skypesms="0"> <SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/famfamfam/US.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_f0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgFlag></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_s.flex.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_s0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgS> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_text0 class=skype_v3_tb_injectionIn><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_innerText0 class=skype_v3_tb_innerText> 603-742-4443 </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_r.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_r0 class=skype_v3_tb_imgR><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_print_0 class=skype_v3_tb_injection_print context="">603-742-4443</SKYPE:SPAN>
Toll Free <SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_highlight_1 class=skype_v3_tb_injection title=Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +18005447441 mode=".modern" context="800-544-7441" durex="%DADDYWIDTH%" durex2="%DADDYHEIGHT%" path="file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/" type=".flex" fwidth="" freecall="" isfax="" nof="" skypeaction="call" skypeid="1"><SKYPE:SPAN id=skype_v3_tb_nop1 class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_a.modern.flex.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_droppart_1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgA_flex title="Skype actions" skypeaction="drop" skypeid="1" skypesms="0"> <SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/famfamfam/US.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_f1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgFlag></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_s.flex.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_s1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgS> </SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_text1 class=skype_v3_tb_injectionIn><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_m.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_innerText1 class=skype_v3_tb_innerText> 800-544-7441 </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(file://C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache/e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506/static/inactive_r.modern.gif)" id=skype_v3_tb_img_r1 class=skype_v3_tb_imgR><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_v3_tb_nop> </SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN> <SKYPE:SPAN id=softomate_v3_print_1 class=skype_v3_tb_injection_print context="">800-544-7441</SKYPE:SPAN>

:drink:

Thanks for the info Betallsports. I will write a letter to see if they even respond.

Trust me I've tried to get them to go to the gym for awhile. I'm a member at another gym and know they had this gift certificate there. But you know some people keep putting things off, especially exercising and starting that diet.

I'm sure they would have walked away since it has been years but since the owner was such an asshole and ripped up the evidence, that pissed them off more than anything.

I'm trying to do what I can locally to put bad reviews on this place.

And I do agree that gyms are just as bad as car dealers. They will do whatever they can to keep you in a contract or rip you off. Just reading consumer complaints about gyms online will make you realize that.

Thanks again everyone. :toast:

Rx God
Tokens
If I owned the gym, I'd have honored it, esp. since the name and location are identical, it doesn't really cost you anything to have two more members.... that would probably come 3 times, and quit coming....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com