NBA News/Injuries/etc. (1/3/11)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Caron Butler - G/F - Mavericks

The Mavericks do not plan on announcing the status of Caron Butler's knee injury on Monday, as he is still being evaluated.
This can be taken as either good or bad news, but we would still be shocked if the news isn't bad regarding his patella tendon. Jan. 3 - 4:26 p.m. ET
Source: Earl K. Sneed on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Kirk Hinrich - G - Wizards

Kirk Hinrich (thigh) and Yi Jianlian (knee) returned to Wizards practice on Monday.
It sounds like both players are a go for Wednesday at Philly and Hinrich might be a nice play this week. But beware that he's wearing protective goggles due to an eye injury, which could impact his shot for a while. Jan. 3 - 4:20 p.m. ET
Source: Washington Post

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
square_sports.gif
Al Harrington - F - Nuggets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Nuggets forward Al Harrington (thumb) will not play on Monday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Harrington went through shootaround and remains day-to-day, but it sounds like he should be ready for Wednesday's showdown with the Clippers in L.A.
Jan. 3 - 1:53 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Benjamin Hochman</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andrea Bargnani - F/C - Raptors </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Andrea Bargnani is expected to return from his calf injury on Tuesday vs. the Bulls.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> With an 11-22 record, the Raptors are ahead of just one team (the woeful Nets) in the Atlantic division.
Jan. 3 - 1:51 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Holly MacKenzie</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Sonny Weems - G/F - Raptors </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Raptors swingman Sonny Weems (back) will not travel with the team to Chicago for Tuesday's game.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>This makes eight straight DNPs for Weems, and it also seems very doubtful that he'll join the team in Cleveland on Wednesday. Ignore him until we see signs of his returning to health.
Jan. 3 - 1:49 p.m. ET</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Jose Calderon - G - Raptors </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Jose Calderon is questionable to play in Tuesday's game vs. the Bulls. He is battling a strained left foot, and also a right ankle sprain sustained on Sunday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Even if Calderon does play, he might be forced to rest Wednesday, during the latter half of Toronto's back-to-back set. Toronto plays four times this week -- if Jose misses any games, Leandro Barbosa and Jerryd Bayless stand to gain the most.
Jan. 3 - 1:47 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Holly MacKenzie</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Rodney Stuckey - G - Pistons </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Rodney Stuckey will return from the flu on Monday, but he will play limited minutes off the bench.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Stuckey should resume starting very soon, but for now Ben Gordon and Tracy McGrady will continue as the starting backcourt.
Jan. 3 - 12:59 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Vincent Ellis</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Danilo Gallinari - F - Knicks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Danilo Gallinari will not play in Tuesday's game vs. the Spurs, as the Knicks await the results of an MRI on his sprained knee.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>It looks as though Gallo avoided any serious injuries, but even one DNP leaves him with two games played this week. Fantasy owners would be wise to consider all alternatives before deploying him. Ronny Turiaf will start in his place, moving Amare Stoudemire to PF and Wilson Chandler to SF.
Jan. 3 - 12:57 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Marc Berman</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Mehmet Okur - F/C - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Mehmet Okur will not play on Monday as he recovers from his recent back ailment.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Okur's back has given him trouble for years. He received two pain-killing shots but obviously needs a bit more rest --
Jan. 3 - 12:47 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Vincent Ellis</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Brandon Bass - F - Magic </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Brandon Bass (left knee) participated in Monday's shootaround but his status for tonight's game will be determined later in the day.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Team doctors aren’t convinced that Bass has a torn meniscus, so for now he'll just try to manage the pain. If he isn't ready to suit up, the Magic expect to start J.J. Redick at SG, moving Jason Richardson to SF and Hedo Turkoglu to PF.
Jan. 3 - 12:43 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Orlando Sentinel</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
David Lee - F/C - Warriors </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>David Lee is doubtful to play on Monday due to a stiff and sore back, the result of a hard fall on Saturday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Increasing the odds that he'll sit out, Lee is already dealing with an ailing ankle, elbow, and knee. Assuming he is out, his minutes will be divvied up between Lou Amundson, Ekpe Udoh, and even Vladimir Radmanovic.
Jan. 3 - 11:50 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Rusty Simmons</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Jonny Flynn - G - Timberwolves </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Timberwolves guard Jonny Flynn (sprained ankle) practiced Sunday and expects to play Monday night against the Celtics.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
Jan. 3 - 10:26 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Joe Johnson - G - Hawks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Joe Johnson admitted that his recent elbow surgery is still affecting his shot.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Johnson has been slumping from the field lately but still has the full backing of Hawks coach Larry Drew. "I told him to keep doing what he’s been doing," Drew said. "Keep taking his shot. I don’t want any hesitation." Johnson returned very soon after surgery, perhaps too soon, and we're expecting his numbers to level out before long.
Jan. 3 - 10:11 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Al Horford - F/C - Hawks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Al Horford's bruised right hand has improved recently.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>"It’s pretty much good now," said Horford. "I’ve been lucky. As soon as it gets better, then I get hit."
Jan. 3 - 10:09 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy Related but good info....

Help Me Obie Wan
I had a bit of a lost weekend, driving, hanging out with family, working, driving and then driving some more. I missed all of Saturday's action, when Trevor Ariza actually made some shots, JaVale McGee posted a monster line, Dorell Wright hit six more 3-pointers, the Super Friends all went off, Brook Lopez, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and Arron Afflalo stunk, Carmelo Anthony returned, Caron Butler and Brandon Bass got hurt, and Earl Boykins went off in his return from a suspension.

Here's a look at some of the headlines as we enter Week 11 of the fantasy hoops season.

Two

</B>Two ways to tell the story (no one worries)
Two silver rings on our fingers in a hurry
Two people talking inside your brain
Two people believing that I'm the one to blame
Two different voices coming out of your mouth </B>

The above lyric is from the song Two, by The Antlers. The Clippers and Pacers play just twice in the upcoming week, making it tough to start any of them. I think Blake Griffin and Danny Granger are probably must-starts, but after Roy Hibbert was benched in real life on Sunday, this is a great week to bench him in fantasy and hope Jim O'Brien stops messing with his head. Hibbert got just 16 minutes on Sunday and should be reserved (not cut) until further notice.

What About The Voice Of Geddy Lee?

The latest news to hit my in box is that David Lee is now doubtful for Monday with a lower back bruise. As soon as he hit Golden State over the summer and broke his hand, you could almost sense an injury disaster was coming. He's got a bad elbow, ankle and now back, and might not fully recover this season from the freak accident that left Wilson Chandler's tooth and a nasty infection in his arm. In any case, it's probably best to leave Lee on your bench this week. According to my man Marcus Thompson, he's "walking like a 60 year old man."

Lightning Crashes

Gerald Wallace is out on Monday after aggravating an injury to his left ankle. He missed five games with a bone bruise and will now miss at least one more, if not another entire week. I'm benching him where I own him and if I were you, I'd look into trading him. This is the type of injury that will linger and stay in his head for the rest of the season. He's been a bit disappointing to begin with and I don't think things are going to get better any time soon now that he's got a chronic situation developing in his ankle. I also think this is (yet another) chance for Tyrus Thomas to show us something. I would be inclined to start him this week, even though we still have no idea how Paul Silas is going to use him. He'll be back from his wrist injury tonight, so he's not exactly a stone-cold lock to go off. But I'm guessing he has a good week.

Revolution 9

Andre Iguodala's achilles injury will keep him out for another full week. Bench him until further notice and think about picking up Evan Turner if you need to add a player this week. I have no idea how or why, but Doug Collins has turned ET loose over the last two games and he looks good.

Crushed Butler

Is there a more appropriate music reference than that one? Caron Butler's knee injury sounds serious and we will find out tonight what the diagnosis is. Actually, in one of the worst kept secrets ever, I can almost guarantee you he has a torn patella tendon and is going to miss a lot of time with the injury, if not the rest of the season. Maybe the MRI will tell a different story and the rumors surrounding his injury are terribly inaccurate, but at this point, I'll be surprised if Tough Juice plays another game this season. Jose Juan Barea, Dominique Jones, Jason Terry and Shawn Marion are all players who will see a bump in minutes going forward, with Marion the best player to pick up. Roddy Beaubois would be a great pickup right now, except that there is still no target date for his return to action from his foot injury.

Dirk Nowitzki is another story altogether. He is dealing with a right knee injury and has already missed four straight games, and there is still not timetable on his return. If I own Dirk, who turned out to be one of the greatest five-game week disasters of all time, he's on my bench this week, and this is just another reason to start Shawn Marion.

Six Pack Rings Around His Neck

Danilo Gallinari suffered a left knee injury on Sunday and my guess is he'll miss anywhere from two to four games. Then again, he's yet to be ruled out for Tuesday's game and says the injury is no big deal. His MRI results will come in tonight and while all indications are that he will be fine, we won't know for sure until then. The Knicks play just three games this week, meaning you should bench Gallinari unless we get some very good news tonight.

He's already listed as doubtful for Tuesday and it sounds like Ronny Turiaf will start in his place. Turiaf suddenly looks healthy, despite his shoulder popping out of place briefly on Sunday, and will start with Gallinari sidelined. Additionally, Toney Douglas, Shawne Williams and Landry Fields will see a boost in minutes and production with Gallo in street clothes. As for Turiaf, he's another guy I forgot to mention in Wired, as he went off for 10 rebounds and six blocks against the Pacers on Sunday. And if he's going to start all week, he might be worth an add with three games.

Continue reading for more tidbits and a full injury report link.
<!--RW-->
Welcome Back?

Anderson Varejao and Daniel Gibson are expected back from their injuries on Wednesday, which will hurt the minutes of J.J. Hickson and Ramon Sessions. Both players have been hot lately, and while they're still possibly worth a pick up, the return of the starters is going to hurt.

Bass Song

Brandon Bass suffered a knee injury on Saturday night and is talking about having surgery to fix the problem. He made it through Monday's shootaround and his plan for now is to try to play through the injury. I'm benching him where I own him and would consider cutting him to pick up a hot player off the Waiver Wire. And if Bass does miss time, Ryan Anderson, who actually qualifies at C in Yahoo! leagues, will be the guy to grab.

Ticket To Ride

Kevin Garnett is probably going to miss the whole week with his calf injury, so make sure he's on your bench. Big Baby Glen Davis, who nearly had a triple-double last night, looks like a fantastic play this week. Rajon Rondo returned to action on Sunday and should be good to go if you want to get him back in your lineup. Paul Pierce, who had the dunk of the night, tweaked an ankle, but my guess is that he's fine. And after watching that video a few times, I can't decide if that was a dunk or not. I also can't figure out how it went in.

ReMemo

Mehmet Okur is now dealing with a back injury and it sounds to me like it could be a problem all season. Okur is in the same category with guys like Mike Miller and Roddy Beaubois. Man, it sure would be nice if they'd play and be productive, but chances are you'll go insane while waiting for it to happen. Let someone else deal with them. At least Miller and Roddy B have a chance at being productive, but I just don't see Memo getting enough run to make it happen.

Pork and Beanos

Beno Udrih hurt his knee on Sunday and didn't return to the game. And unfortunately, that is truly all we know at this point. The Kings have three games this week and I guess the best advice I can give is to bench him unless we get an update this afternoon. Jason Thompson is now starting over Carl Landry, but of course, Landry, Francisco Garcia and Omri Casspi were the guys who double-doubled last night, while DeMarcus Cousins went off for 28 points, eight rebounds and six dimes in a win over the reeling Suns. I didn't put Garcia in Waiver Wired, but probably should have.

I'm Sticking With You

Rodney Stuckey is due back from the flu on Monday, although he'll be limited and won't start tonight. The Pistons seem to love Tracy McGrady at point guard, but I don't think even John Kuester can bench a healthy Stuckey, can he? We'll soon find out. The Pistons play three games this week, meaning Stuckey is a somewhat risky play in most leagues.

Bargain?

Andrea Bargnani missed last week with a calf injury and there is no specific word on when he'll be back. The Raps play four times this week, so it's possible owners get two, three or four games out of him this week, but he's an extremely risky start. If your lineup deadline doesn't happen until game time, keep watching for updates throughout the day on Bargnani. Jose Calderon appeared to tweak his foot last night, but will continue to try to play through the lingering injury. He's still a bit risky, but I am starting him where I own him.

The Injury Report

For the rest of the injury rundown, Just click on this link.

Tidbits

Ersan Ilyasova was great on Saturday and it was probably because Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Drew Gooden were out with injuries. Feel free to pick up EI, but be warned that he's inconsistent.

Mickael Pietrus started in place of Channing Frye again on Sunday, but neither player was very effective. Pietrus played 35 minutes, while Frye got just 18 ticks, which is hard to believe. Maybe I'm naive, but I haven't cut Frye yet. Maybe I will when I'm done posting this column, but I still think he's going to get back into the rotation before too long. But Pietrus, despite struggles, is getting serious run right now and could have some big games this week. I'm starting him.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Andrea Bargnani - F/C - Raptors

Andrea Bargnani returned to practice on Monday from a calf injury and is expected to play in all three upcoming road games for the Raptors.
Head coach Jay Triano said the team will monitor Bargnani Jan. 3 - 5:45 p.m. ET
Source: NBA.com

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Brandon Bass - F - Magic

Brandon Bass is expected to start for the Magic on Monday despite a left knee injury that could require surgery.
Bass is going to try to play through the injury instead of having surgery, but it remains to be seen if he'll be able to do so. . Jan. 3 - 5:58 p.m. ET
Source: Orlando Sentinel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com