NBA News/Injuries/etc. (1/12/11)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Mehmet Okur - F/C - Jazz

Updating an earlier blurb, Mehmet Okur (back) will return for Wednesday's game and is expected to play 5-6 minutes in the first half.
Earlier news indicated that Okur would play just 5-6 minutes for the whole game, but in reality he'll play 5-6 in the first half and see how he's feeling after that. Jan. 12 - 4:34 p.m. ET
Source: Deseret News

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Michael Beasley - F - Timberwolves

According to the Timberwolves' PR Twitter feed, Kurt Rambis is calling Michael Beasley (ankle) doubtful for Thursday's game.
Beat writer Jerry Zgoda reports that Beasley did shoot some at practice and has yet to rule himself out, but we'd be shocked if Minnesota allowed Beasley to play after aggravating his left ankle sprain yet again on Tuesday. Be sure to check back prior to Thursday, but for now we're not expecting to see Minnesota's starting SF until next week at the earliest. And assuming he does sit, look for Wes Johnson, Martell Webster and Anthony Tolliver to absorb additional minutes in his absence. Jan. 12 - 3:46 p.m. ET
Source: Jerry Zgoda on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Tracy McGrady - G/F - Pistons

Tracy McGrady will start at point guard on Wednesday as part of a Pistons' lineup shakeup.
T-Mac is already averaging 11.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg and 5.0 apg in 29 minutes per game over his last nine (four starts, five bench appearances), so rejoining the starting five shouldn't alter his value too much. Nevertheless, he's still worth a look in many formats as long as he's healthy, and starting at PG should help keep his assist numbers steady (though Rodney Stuckey, who's starting at SG, will play some point as well). With McGrady joining the starting lineup, the slumping Ben Gordon (5.7 ppg in his last three) goes to the bench. Jan. 12 - 3:36 p.m. ET
Source: Detroit News

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Andray Blatche - F/C - Wizards

Andray Blatche (shoulder) is doubtful for Thursday's matchup with Minnesota.
Blatche said that he "felt a pop" and couldn't sleep due to the pain after suffering the injury Wednesday, but still hasn't ruled himself out for Thursday, saying "If I'm able to get some rotation in it, I'm going to try to play." The mention of a pop is disconcerting, but it sounds like there's reason to hope that this isn't anything too serious. Al Thornton would join the starting five if Blatche is unable to go. Jan. 12 - 3:19 p.m. ET
Source: Washington Post

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
square_sports.gif
Monta Ellis - G - Warriors </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Monta Ellis (flu-like symptoms) took part in shootaround and will play on Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>He's been expected to suit up all along, but here's your official confirmation.
Jan. 12 - 2:52 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Matt Steinmetz on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Dirk Nowitzki - F - Mavericks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Dirk Nowitzki (knee) hasn't officially been ruled out for Wednesday, but reportedly "didn't do much" at shootaround and appears unlikely to play.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Meanwhile, Nowitzki's mentor, Holger Geschwindner, said on Tuesday that a weekend return looks likely for Dirk. And though we aren't expecting to see him on Wednesday, fantasy owners should check back for an update prior to tipoff just in case.
Jan. 12 - 2:02 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Dallas Morning News</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Corey Maggette - F - Bucks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel lists Corey Maggette as a starter for tonight even though Andrew Bogut (virus) is back.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Coach Scott Skiles hinted at this earlier this week, so we fully expect to see Maggette starting at small forward tonight and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute coming off the bench. In Maggette's first start of the season Saturday, he had 20 points and six rebounds in 27 minutes.
Jan. 12 - 12:57 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Kevin Martin - G - Rockets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Kevin Martin (wrist) and Brad Miller (knee) are both out for Wednesday's game against the Thunder.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Martin has stated that he doesn't consider his wrist injury "serious," but it is a sprain on his shooting hand. Without his shot, he is liability on the court. Look for point guards Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry to start together in the backcourt once again and provide plenty of fantasy value with extended minutes. Jordan Hill will get most of the run at center, but has been wildly inconsistent.
Jan. 12 - 12:32 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Jonathan Feigen on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Daniel Gibson - G - Cavaliers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Daniel Gibson (ankle) hopes to take part in Cavs' practice Thursday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Interesting. Gibson had been previously ruled out of this five-game road trip, but his rehab in Cleveland apparently went well. He flew to Los Angeles last night just in time to witness the 55-point massacre. Considering all the injuries, the Cavs could certainly use Gibson.
Jan. 12 - 11:43 a.m. ET
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Ben Wallace - F/C - Pistons </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Ben Wallace (ankle) said he will not play against the Grizzlies Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Wallace's ankle sprain doesn't sound overly serious, but it's a huge opportunity for promising rookie Greg Monroe. The No. 7 overall pick is riding a steak of three straight double-doubles and is expected to start tonight. John Kuester's mindset never seems logical, but there's a chance Monroe could run with the starting gig if he performs well.
Jan. 12 - 11:27 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Chris Iott on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Kevin Garnett - F - Celtics </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Although Kevin Garnett (calf) is doubtful for Wednesday's game against the Kings, coach Doc Rivers expects KG to play at some point this week.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>We're not quite as optimistic as Rivers. After tonight, the Celtics have just one more game this week -- Friday against the Bobcats. It seems more likely that Garnett would play it safe and get ready for Monday's showdown with the Magic. We'll know more after Thursday's practice.
Jan. 12 - 11:23 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Boston Globe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Gerald Wallace - F - Bobcats </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Gerald Wallace (ankle) went through shootaround and is good to go for Wednesday's game against the Bulls.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Get Wallace in your lineups. Two weeks ago, he came off a five-game layoff and played 43 minutes in his first game back. This time, he's coming off a four-game layoff. Wallace has the potential for some huge lines as the Bobcats are essentially playing streetball under new coach Paul Silas while Gerald Henderson heads back to the bench.
Jan. 12 - 11:08 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mike Cranston on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Grant Hill - G/F - Suns </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Grant Hill (knee) said there is a "chance" he will play against the Nets Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Hill is likely looking at another game-time decision. Josh Childress started in place of Hill Tuesday night, but had just five points in 25 minutes.
Jan. 12 - 10:30 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Arizona Republic</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy related but good info...

Youth & Young Manhood
I'll be Season Pass live chatting today at 4. See you there.

Quote of the Year?

You all know I'm not a big Avery Johnson fan, but his quote about Brook Lopez that surfaced yesterday is one of my favorites of all time. If you catch my "on pace for" tweets about Lopez on Twitter and enjoy them, then I'm sure you'll like this too.

"I dream about our center getting 10 rebounds," Johnson said, when asked if he dreamed about Carmelo Anthony playing for the Nets. In case you haven't been paying attention to just how bad Lopez has been, he has just one double-double this season. Pathetic.

Injury Updates

Dirk Nowitzki (knee) is still a game-time decision for Wednesday against the Pacers and I'm guessing the Mavericks aren't going to let us know his status until lineups are due 10 minutes before the game. I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess he doesn't play tonight.

Kevin Garnett (calf) is now doubtful for Wednesday's game against the Kings, according to Doc Rivers. This one is kind of weird, as it sounded like he was good to go for Monday at one point last weekend. Maybe he suffered a setback, or maybe he was just overly optimistic.

Monta Ellis missed another practice on Tuesday with the flu and is iffy for tonight against the Lakers, although Keith Smart says he's a go for tonight. Make sure he's in your lineup unless we hear differently before game time.

Tyreke Evans missed Tuesday's game with his sprained ankle, leaving him questionable for tonight against the Celtics. He says he's going to try to play through it, but Evans has a recent habit of consistently letting us down.

Gerald Wallace is set to return to action tonight from his ankle injury, and while I'm not expecting a monster line, I think he should be in lineups tonight.

Andray Blatche left last night's game with a sprained shoulder after scoring 16 points and grabbing 13 rebounds. He's day-to-day and questionable for Thursday night at Minnesota.

Michael Beasley tried to play through his sprained ankle on Tuesday and aggravated the injury, which is not good news. He could miss several games now, and probably shouldn't have been in uniform last night. I'll be surprised if he plays again this week.

Danilo Gallinari is hoping to return from his knee injury on Friday or Monday, so think about grabbing him if he was dropped in your league.
www.miamiheat.ws
Kevin Martin (wrist) and Brad Miller (knee) have been ruled out again for the Rockets on Wednesday.

Ben Wallace is out tonight, so look for more goodies from Greg Monroe, who has three straight double-doubles. Now that Monroe is coming on and Austin Daye is seeing some minutes, my 30-team league is suddenly heating up.

The Hawks were able to fly into Toronto so they should be good to go tonight.

Melo

The supposed deal that would send Carmelo Anthony to the Nets for Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and 15 players may never happen. It doesn't sound like Melo really wants to go to Jersey, but then again, I'm not sure he even knows what he really wants. And now the Knicks are fully back in play, with Amare Stoudemire chirping in Melo's ear in hopes of recruiting him. In any case, as with all trade rumors, it doesn't make a lot of sense to waste time trying to predict the future or figure out who is going where. Yes, Melo, Chauncey Billups and Troy Murphy are all very likely to be moving at some point, but where and when is anyone's guess.

Keep reading for fantasy game recaps.
<!--RW-->
Game News

Lakers Dismantle Cavs

The Lakers destroyed the Cavaliers last night by a score of 112-57, prompting LeBron James to hit Twitter, rambling of 'God' and 'Karma.' Kobe Bryant played through his sore knee and had 13 points, while virtually every Laker had a good time last night. The Cavs were led by Alonzo Gee's 12 points and eight boards, and the fact Byron Scott's team laid this kind of egg in front of his people at Staples Center is not going to sit well with him or the Lakers. And while it's not likely, it's even possible that this single loss could negatively impact Scott's chances of taking over for Phil Jackson in L.A. when he finally shuts it down. The Cavs are bad. Real bad. And things aren't going to get better for a long, long time. And they basically have one person to thank. And it's not God or Karma. And according to the responses I got to this one on Twitter, it's a toss up between LeBron, Danny Ferry and Dan Gilbert.

Young Outshoots Beno

Beno Udrih had 26 points on 10-of-13 shooting in a tough, OT loss to the Wizards, who got a career night from Nick Young. Remember when Paul Westphal was jerking Beno's chain and screwing with his playing time? It looks like he's figured out he needs Beno on the court. As for Young, he blew up for 43 points and seven 3-pointers on 14-of-22 shooting. Hopefully you had him in your lineup, as I get the sense he was dropped in a lot of leagues last week. Francisco Garcia stayed hot with 26 points and deserves a look in most leagues. He's averaging 15.3 points, 1.1 steals, 1.3 blocks and 2.2 threes in nine games as a starter, so it would be nice if Paul Westphal would listen to my man @MattStroup and keep him in the lineup. Carl Landy scored a season-high 23, and DeMarcus Cousins struggled to hit just 4-of-19 shots in the loss. And Landry's nice line means that Jason Thompson played just 12 minutes and picked up four quick fouls. It seems like these two are going to trade good games the rest of the way.

John Wall had 22 points, six boards and nine dimes despite some cramping late in the win. If he can stay healthy the rest of the way he's going to have a huge second half, making him an excellent buy-low snag for those of you lucky enough to have picked him up over the last few weeks.

Pacers Beat Sixers

Darren Collison blew up for 21 points and a season-high 13 assists in a win over the Sixers. It's about time, as Collison finally showed us what he's capable of for the first time this season. It's nice to know we weren't delusional when predicting big things for him this year, and it's possible that he's finally come to terms on how to deal with the head games that Jim O'Brien has been playing with him. Tyler Hansbrough had 12 points and nine boards in another start, while Danny Granger had a full stat line in the win.

Andre Iguodala finally returned to action last night, but missed all seven of his shots, finishing with just a single point and seven assists. It's great news that he's back, but that Achilles injury is going to linger all year and he deserves some consideration, along with my man Brook Lopez, for fantasy bust of the year. Andres Nocioni admirably tried to play through his broken finger, but lasted just three minutes. Jrue Holiday flirted with another triple-double last night. He's having a very nice season after a shaky start and I hope he was in your lineup with just two games this week.

Spurs Spank Wolves

Kevin Love had 20 points and 20 boards for his sixth 20-20 game of the season. Dwight Howard led the league with three of them last year, which should tell you that Love is a very, very good player. He's also knocking down a ton of threes, and if he ever figures out how to squeeze a block per game into his line, he becomes a Top 5 fantasy player.
Darko Milicic stunk it up again and can be dropped if you're in good shape at center. I'm hanging onto him, but it's probably because I don't like myself. Darko says he's got a sinus infection that has bothered him all season, which would be one of the longest sinus infections of all time. Come on, man. The Spurs and their boring fantasy box score were led by Richard Jefferson's 17 points.

Nuggets Crush Suns

Arron Afflalo, playing through a sore ankle, blew up for a career-high 31 points last night, hitting 11-of-14 shots and two threes. He's having a real nice season, although he also tends to be inconsistent, as most shooters are. He also stands to see a boost in value if Carmelo Anthony gets traded, so make sure he's on a roster in your league. Ty Lawson had 16 points off the bench to go along with six boards and five assists. If Chauncey Billups ever gets shipped out of Denver, Lawson will be the man. Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen returned from sore knees but combined for just six points and six boards. Stay away.

Channing Frye had 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting last night, but he should be owned in most leagues now that he's back in the starting lineup for the Suns. Marcin Gortat and Robin Lopez continued to stink it up, and neither of them should be considered must-own players at this point. Grant Hill sat this one out with a sprained ankle, but has missed just two games in his last three seasons. He wanted to play, and shouldn't be out long. Jared Dudley, who has been hot, hit just 2-of-6 shots for seven points. I get a lot of questions about picking him up, or owning him, but as long as he's coming off the bench, I really don't trust Dudley.

Knicks Cruise Over Blazers

Raymond Felton suffered what is being called a "high ankle sprain" last night, but played through it. He also says he's playing tonight, which tells me he probably doesn't have a true high ankle sprain. He also had 14 dimes and zero turnovers, which will quietly go down as one of the best point guard lines in Knicks history. Hopefully his ankle allows him to play tonight. Ronny Turiaf blew up for a season-high 19 points on 8-of-9 shooting to go along with 10 rebounds, three steals and a couple blocks in the win. His knee is finally getting healthy and Mike D'Antoni might finally be ready to start using the big man. I still don't think he's a guy you break down doors to get to, but if you have some excess baggage on your roster and could use a center, grab him.

Rudy Fernandez scored 18 off the bench, Marcus Camby had 16 boards and six blocks, while Wesley Matthews struggled on 2-of-13 shooting. Nicolas Batum quiety scored 13 points, but played a whopping 41 minutes. I still think he's on the verge of blowing up.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Kevin Garnett - F - Celtics

Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal will miss Wednesday's game with their injuries.
Garnett's got a calf problem, while JO, as usual, has a sore knee. KG could play by the end of the week, but it sounds like he might have suffered a setback, as he was talking about coming back on Monday. Jan. 12 - 6:40 p.m. ET
Source: Sean Grande on Twitter

stack change
Tokens
thanks for this Hacheman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb52197
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com