NBA News/Injuries/etc. (1/13/11)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Brandon Roy - G/F - Trail Blazers

Blazers GM Richard Cho said arthroscopic knee surgeries typically have a 3-6 week recovery period and added that he hopes to have Brandon Roy back this season.
Cho did not sugarcoat Roy's situation at all. He said that the goal of the scopes is to decrease Roy's pain, but there is no guarantee there will be any significant long-term impact. "This is really a temporary fix," Cho said. "Nothing is permanent." By the time Roy is capable of trying to play again, the Blazers could be out of the playoff chase. Jan. 13 - 5:53 p.m. ET
Source: Joe Freeman on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Kevin Garnett - F - Celtics

Although Kevin Garnett (calf) won't play Friday, coach Doc Rivers confirmed the veteran is "close."
When asked if Garnett will play Monday, Rivers said, "Maybe, I want to see him [in] another practice." Garnett went through most of Thursday's practice and is clearly nearing 100 percent. Jan. 13 - 5:03 p.m. ET
Source: ESPN Boston

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
LeBron James - F - Heat

LeBron James (ankle) remains a game-time decision for Thursday's game against the Nuggets.
The afternoon shootaround provided no update on LeBron's status. We likely won't know if he'll suit up until 9:45 p.m. ET, when coach Erik Spoelstra addresses the media. Based on James' comments from Wednesday night about not wanting to be a hero, we'd be a little surprised if he played. James Jones is the likely starter if LeBron rests. Jan. 13 - 4:52 p.m. ET
Source: Ira Winderman on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Dirk Nowitzki - F - Mavericks

The Mavericks once again declined to update the status of Dirk Nowitzki (knee) Thursday.
"Could be soon, could be a while," coach Rick Carlisle said. Dirk spent Thursday's practice running circles around the court, jumping rope and doing other cardio. In other words, it does not look like Nowitzki is going to play against the Spurs Friday. The Mavs are still calling their superstar day-to-day, as they have been for the last two weeks. Jan. 13 - 4:33 p.m. ET
Source: Jeff McDonald on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
square_sports.gif
Chris Kaman - C - Clippers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>ESPN's Marc Stein is sensing optimism from rival teams that the Clippers will shop Chris Kaman.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Note that this report isn't coming out of Los Angeles. It's simply other teams seeing how well DeAndre Jordan is playing and thus thinking that it would make sense for the Clips to dump Kaman. Still, Jordan owners keep getting more and more good news. Kaman (ankle) is out until at least February and it seems like the Clippers are ready to commit to him.
Jan. 13 - 4:13 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Marc Stein on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Brandon Jennings - G - Bucks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Brandon Jennings (left foot surgery) did some shooting at Thursday's practice.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Jennings is traveling with the Bucks to Philadelphia. Although he won't play, it's a sign that he is nearing a return. The boot is off and after he gets a few full practices under his belt, we'd expect to see Jennings out there. Jennings has already committed to the Feb. 19 dunk contest.
Jan. 13 - 3:28 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Charles Gardner on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andrew Bogut - C - Bucks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Andrew Bogut's virus has affected him since mid-December.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Bogut only missed one game due to the illness and his play didn't appear to suffer at all. He's traveling with the team as expected Thursday and is expected to be a full go for Friday's game in Philadelphia. Bogut leads the NBA with 2.9 blocks per game.
Jan. 13 - 3:12 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Charles Gardner on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andray Blatche - F/C - Wizards </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Andray Blatche (shoulder) has been upgraded to questionable for Thursday's game against the Wolves.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Blatche's shoulder improved more overnight than the Wizards expected. He is now a game-time decision even though coach Flip Saunders admitted his power forward isn't 100 percent. We should know Blatche's status by 7:30 p.m. ET.
Jan. 13 - 2:55 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Washington Post</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Danilo Gallinari - F - Knicks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>The Knicks declined to update Danilo Gallinari's (knee) status Thursday, but beat writer Steve Adamek says not to bet on a Friday return.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Virtually all the Knicks' beat writers are pointing toward Monday for Gallinari's return. It's been speculated that he'll come off the bench initially, but that's not a real concern. Coach Mike D'Antoni sees Gallo as one of his best players and the minutes will follow.
Jan. 13 - 2:10 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Bergen Record</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Kevin Martin - G - Rockets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Kevin Martin (wrist) returned to Rockets practice Thursday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>No official word yet from the Rockets, but this clearly puts Martin on track to play against the Hornets. The sprain is to his shooting hand, but owners should run him out there and hope for the best. Martin will start, sending either Kyle Lowry or Aaron Brooks to a reserve role.
Jan. 13 - 1:53 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Jason Friedman on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andre Iguodala - G/F - 76ers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Coach Doug Collins admitted that Andre Iguodala may have rushed back too soon from his Achilles injury.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Iguodala was pathetic in his return, but the good news is that he is getting two full days of practice in before Friday's game against the Bucks. We'd expect a bounce-back effort, although doing better than one point in 33 minutes won't be difficult.
Jan. 13 - 10:26 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Tyreke Evans - G - Kings </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Tyreke Evans (ankle) remains day-to-day.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>The Kings are in the midst of a six-game East coast swing, so practice time is few and far between. We likely won't know Evans' status for Friday's game against the Knicks until just before tipoff.
Jan. 13 - 10:13 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Sacramento Bee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy related but good info......

Karma Police

It was the tweet heard around the NBA world on Tuesday night.

"Crazy. Karma is a b****. Gets you every time. It's not good to wish bad on anybody. God sees everything!"

These were the words that came out of LeBron James' Twitter feed moments after the Cavs suffered the second-worst loss in their franchise's history, a 55-point drubbing at the hands of the Lakers. The NBA's newest, and perhaps most reviled heel of all time, added to his growing resume of public relations snafus a new bullet-point – gutless bully.

Never mind the obvious ignorance of presuming that God recognizes The King's place in His Kingdom, and struck down upon the Cavs with great vengeance and furious anger those that attempted to re-sign thee.

James had a score to settle with the nerdy, 110-pound weakling with an affinity for Comic Sans, who had placed upon him the dreaded 'Cleveland Curse' and all of the associated Karma that came with it – even if settling the score came at the expense of his former teammates, coaches, associates, and 'friends.'

And apparently, you will know that his name is the Lord when he attempts to persuade thee.

"I don't think there was no intent at all," the former Cavs star said before Wednesday's game. "I think everyone looks into everything that I say. Everybody looks too far into it. ... It's just how I was feeling at the time. It wasn't even a comment from me. It was someone who sent it to me and I sent it out so."

And here I was thinking that 'contraction' was the gag-reflex your teammates and coaches have every time you open your mouth, LeBron. Boy, am I dumb. And apparently, so are all of us.

Sure, LeBron's sneaker reps, his inept handlers, his agent, the one local media suck-up, and all of his scared NBA colleagues (hello Jalen) who haven't the fortitude to tell him that he is being a buffoon – it's expected that they stroke him. After all, there's no such thing as a free lunch. But for His Highness, these explanations are sufficient to brush off those pesky peasants, at least until the Heat's media staff can intervene and threaten to end the interviews if another Twitter question gets asked.

So while he cannot bring himself to respond to Paul Pierce leaving Miami with both a win and a zing, as Pierce tweeted from the tarmac, "It's been a pleasure to bring my talents to south beach now on to Memphis," he has all of the guts in the world when the score is 55-0.

As the story goes, LeBron was right, 'Karma' is a b****.

LeBron James both tweaked his ankle last night and lost to the lowly Clippers just 24 hours after his sermon on 'Karma.' He is questionable for tonight's tilt against the Nuggets. Maybe before the game he will tell us that he didn't know what the word 'God' meant.

Follow the entire Rotoworld NBA crew right here:
@docktora
@mattstroup
@adamlevitan
@aaronbruski
Click Here for the 7 things we learned last night and Wednesday night action….
<!--RW-->
[SIZE=+1]The 7 things we learned last night[/SIZE]

1. The Carmelo Anthony trade is not worth following

I say 'bah' to the so-called sources from the New Jersey area and elsewhere that tried to ram the Carmelo Anthony trade through by using the press on Sunday. A full-scale assault was made on the "inexperience" of the Denver executives, and stories were released saying a trade was imminent. Surely, the Denver brass has a role in how all of this is going down, but the bottom line is that until Carmelo says that he'll accept an extension to New Jersey all of this is a moot point. Yes, fantasy owners need to be abreast of the details for the fact that the entire league may get included in the trade should it happen, but living and dying by every report right now is not recommended. The Knicks have the best 'actionable' offer on the table, with Houston creeping into the mix, and the Nets are the clear favorites if they can get Melo's John Hancock. Focus on the extension, or lack thereof, and you'll know what to do.

2. Monty Williams does not like Marcus Thornton

Entering Wednesday's game Monty Williams said he wasn't even planning on playing Marcus Thornton, but as it would go Marco Belinelli sprained his ankle one minute into the game and his hand was forced. Of course, Thornton was the best player on the court at times and led New Orleans to an overtime win with a season-high 22 points with nine rebounds, two threes, a steal, and plenty of clutch baskets. He scored seven of the Hornets' 11 points in overtime, including two clinching free throws with 8.2 seconds left. In equally unsurprising fashion Williams started Willie Green to start the second half, and will likely do so going forward according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. Belinelli was seen riding a stationary bike before he was ruled out for the rest of the game, and unfortunately, my gut is telling me that this isn't the breakout we're all hoping for. No matter how much Chris Paul gushes about him after the game, or how much the Hornets fans love him, or any of the basketball-related reasons he could help the impotent Hornets offense – I fear Monty is dead set against setting him free. I added him in a bunch of leagues based solely on the chance for upside, but I'm not holding my breath that he'll pan out.

3. Paul Silas is a fantasy god-send

Can you name the highest scoring backcourt in the NBA since December 27? That's right, Captain Jack and revitalized D.J. Augustin hold the honor, while the Bobcats are 6-2 under new leadership. Augustin outplayed Derrick Rose last night in the Cats' 96-91 win over the Bulls, scoring 22 points on 6-of-12 shooting with a career-high 12 assists, two threes, and just one turnover. The Bobcats have enjoyed a pretty easy schedule since Silas joined up, and have nine of their next 12 games on the road with Miami, Dallas, and Boston on the schedule following that stretch. Is it time to sell high? I don't think so. Yes, his value is sky high and could take a hit if the Bobcats begin to struggle, but he is virtually unchallenged at his position and the trade-winds have died down. He should be able to perform near this level for the rest of the season as it stands.

Similarly, Tyrus Thomas' owners had to be thrilled with his 17 points, 13 rebounds, two assists, and two blocks in 29 minutes. He hit 7-of-14 shots from the field against his old team, and while I'm far from trusting him, the headway he's making is very encouraging. More importantly, the vibe feels good for once in his career. A players' coach is exactly what he needed. Gerald Wallace (ankle) returned to action last night, as well, and looked healthy on his way to 14 points, seven rebounds, a steal, and two blocks. If you own any Bobcats – congratulations for staying away from the ledge.
www.miamiheat.ws
4. Gilbert Arenas is not walking through that door (yet)

Gilbert Arenas played just 14 minutes last night, which wouldn't have hurt owners as bad had the crew of Brandon Bass, J.J. Redick, Jameer Nelson, and Hedo Turkoglu not combined for 8-of-43 shooting and just 21 points in the Magic's overtime loss to the Hornets. There are so many different ways to go with the discussion on this topic, but clearly Stan Van Gundy isn't ready to turn him loose, whether it's his defense, fit within the system, attitude, or all of the above. Drop him if you absolutely have to, but there's still a lot of season left and it's hard to imagine GM Otis Smith taking on that big of a contract only to let him rot on the bench.

5. John Kuester didn't get a Christmas card

I used the word 'buffoon' earlier, and while I can see myself using it aggressively over the next week now, it only came to mind when Tayshaun Prince called his coach one. Yes, when talking about Richard Hamilton's DNP-CD from Wednesday night, Prince called the situation "buffoonery," which is defined by Webster's Dictionary as behavior that is ridiculous but amusing. We'll see how amused Kuester is what that, and clearly Rip was not amused after the game. With the Carmelo Anthony trade a 50/50 endeavor in the respect that Hamilton lands back with his backcourt buddy Chauncey Billups, which indeed is a rosy scenario, Hamilton is not the rock-solid stash he appeared to be days ago. If he did more than just score and hit threes, I'd be more impassioned about keeping him, but feel free to drop him for a productive player if you must.

6. Don't make Blake Griffin angry

Silly Mario Chalmers decided it was time to man up on Blake Griffin, which deserves credit in a Scrappy-Doo sort of way. The two were assessed double-technical fouls and the Poster Child was overheard shouting 'don't make me angry' repeatedly, before voice-of-reason Baron Davis intervened and kept Griffin from mutilating the fellow. The best part? The subsequent man-dunk and stare-down that can be found here. Griffin finished his 13th straight 20-10 game with 24 points, 16 rebounds, six assists, a steal, and a block, which was also good for his 24th straight double-double (and 30th overall). He did leave briefly with some back spasms, which is certainly worth keeping an eye on, but free throw percentage or not he is making his mark on a first-round draft pick next season.

7. Kobe vs. Monta is must-see television

If you're a fan of big shots, degree of difficulty, and a frenetic pace, then the Lakers-Warriors game last night was right up your alley. Monta Ellis played after missing two days of practice with the flu, and didn't leave the game as he racked up 38 points on 15-of-26 shooting with four 3-pointers. He became the first player in NBA history to play all 48 minutes in a game and not get a rebound, but who really cares. Him and Kobe Bryant, who scored 39 points with six rebounds, four assists, three steals, and two threes, traded baskets in a tight game that the Lakers ultimately wrestled away late. Kobe said after the game that he thinks Ellis deserves a spot on the All Star team and I would agree, but also wouldn't be surprised to see him snubbed in a crowded field. Interestingly, a news item came through late last night that the Warriors may possibly be amenable to trading him while his value is sky-high, which is just crazy enough to make sense in Warrior-land. This is miles away from being an actionable piece of news, but something to watch for as the trade deadline nears.

Click Here for Wednesday's highlights and Thursday Night Lights….
<!--RW-->
[SIZE=+1]Game Highlights[/SIZE]

Brandon Rush started and scored 20 points with two threes last night and played good defense, but as somebody on Twitter told Dr. A last night the only person you can trust on the Pacers is Danny Granger. Granger was relatively quiet with 17 points, six assists, a block, and a three, but has been pretty hot lately in the Pacers' new 'small lineup,' which looks like their normal lineup but surely owners don't care about the semantics.

The most interesting news out of Pacer-land, however, is the ongoing mental rollercoaster that is Roy Hibbert, who was broken by Jim O'Brien about three weeks ago. Hibbert may not be the most mentally tough guy to enter the league, but I haven't seen a player so mixed up in a while. He is seeing a sports psychologist, and I can't help but visualize Obie and Larry Bird grumbling about it over a six-pack. Hibbert has taken baby steps in the last two games, hitting a big shot late on Tuesday while nearing double-doubles in both. Buying low on him would take a decent leap of faith, but depending on the offer could make some sense right now.

Leandro Barbosa has been a nice low-end option for a couple of weeks now, and by the looks of things will get the opportunity to keep his hot streak going in spite of the return of Andrea Bargnani, and most recently Sonny Weems (back). He scored 26 points on 11-of-16 shooting (including a three) with four rebounds, five assists, and three steals in 30 minutes off the bench. He should be owned in all leagues at least until he cools off.

Josh Smith struggled last night and also tweaked his ankle, hitting just 3-of-15 shots from the field to finish with nine points, nine boards, four assists, and two steals. He played through the ankle issue, and we're not really all that concerned. Like always, he needs to be mindful of his 3-point shooting, which does more to take away his aggressiveness than the otherwise nice percentage (38%) would suggest. If there's an owner in your league that is worried about him, be ready to take that problem off their hands. Frontcourt mate Al Horford also suffered a minor ankle injury, but like with Smith's ankle we're not that worried.

Jamal Crawford took over in the Hawks' 104-101 win over the Raps with a season-high 36 points on 12-of-23 shooting (4-of-11 from deep) with three rebounds and two assists, and continued to prove that he is a solid fantasy option whenever a Hawks' key guy goes out. And while we wouldn't peg Marvin Williams' (back) absence as being a huge hole to fill, Crawford seems to approach teammates' absences like an NFL running back. Give him a little bit of daylight and he's gone. He's not going to disappear by any means when Williams returns, but his numbers will take a small hit. Plan accordingly.

Briefly, the Hawks-Bucks game that was postponed on Tuesday will be replayed on March 15 at 7 p.m. ET. That will bump both teams up from 3-game weeks to 4-game weeks at a critical time in the fantasy season.

Tracy McGrady started Wednesday's 107-99 loss to the Grizzlies at point guard with Rodney Stuckey moving over to shooting guard, which of course was John Kuester's stated reason for benching Rip. Regardless, Stuckey has long-thought to possibly be a better fit at SG than PG, and with T-Mac running the offense so well one could see this coming. McGrady scored 16 points with six rebounds, four assists, a steal, and a block in 36 minutes, and if they stay with the current configuration that could start to be a familiar line. Stuckey still handled the ball, although he struggled switching gears into PG mode by driving with his head down, but still managed 15 points, seven rebounds, six assists, and two steals. Like with McGrady, that's a good representation of what to expect if this plan sticks, minus the rebounds.

Other storylines out of Detroit included Greg Monroe's fourth straight double-double and Ben Gordon's explosion in the fourth quarter. Monroe scored 14 points with 11 rebounds, two steals, and a block, and I've probably added him and dropped him a total of 10 times in all of my leagues, which is by no means a knock on him. He has been on the two steps forward, one step back plan, but for now he should be owned in all leagues for his current production and his upside, and hopefully Big Ben's (ankle) return doesn't hurt him too badly. As for Gordon, he was scoreless until the 2-minute mark of the third quarter, and then went on to score 25 points on 8-of-17 shooting (including four threes) with four assists. With Rip and Tayshaun Prince being persona non-grata, picking him up just feels right even though there's a decent amount of risk that he'll be inconsistent.

Dwight Howard had his fourth 20-20 game of the year with 29 points, 20 rebounds, one steal, and two blocks, but also got his 12th technical foul and missed two key free throws late. In a close overtime it proved to be the difference, but again, it wouldn't be surprised to see the league rescind this one, too. He does appear to be a target for refs this year, but then again, for his level of whining he deserves it. Impressively, the man he got a technical for shoving, Emeka Okafor, did a good job heads-up against Howard with 18 points and 14 rebounds. He's quietly having a nice year.

The Knicks-Jazz game was a shootout, and ultimately the Knicks' tired legs couldn't keep up with the fresh Jazz after playing three games in four nights. Raymond Felton reportedly struggled with his 'high-ankle sprain,' which is miles away from what it sounds like, scoring 23 points with seven rebounds and 11 assists.

The real story here for the Knicks, though, were the season-best scoring efforts out of bench players Shawne Williams and Bill Walker. Williams, in particular, was on fire and didn't miss on seven 3-point attempts in the second half, scoring 25 points with two rebounds and a steal. Walker also added 23 points on 8-of-11 shooting (including three treys) with one rebound and one steal. Williams is the player to own between the two right now, but while both should be watched as Toney Douglas (four minutes last night) struggles with his shoulder injury, neither are worth an add outside of very deep leagues right now.

And speaking of shoulders, Amare Stoudemire tweaked his but stayed in the game. He scored 22 points with just three rebounds, five assists, a block, and a three in 27 foul-plagued minutes, and while the rebounding numbers are a bit of a red flag owners shouldn't be too concerned.

Deron Williams was his normal dominant self with 24 points, seven rebounds, 12 assists, two steals, and a three, while Raja Bell showed up with 18 points to solidify his spot in the starting lineup. C.J. Miles got back on track with 24 points and Andrei Kirilenko is back to being starting lineup material for owners, scoring 14 points with six rebounds, seven assists, and two blocks. I've been railing on this for over a week now, but once his back concerns have been gone for a couple of weeks he's a guy I'm looking to move for exactly that reason.

Russell Westbrook got hot and scored 23 points with eight rebounds, 13 assists, and two steals, but the main takeaways from Wednesday's 118-112 win over the Rockets were the various bumps and bruises for his teammates. Kevin Durant, who scored 30 points with six rebounds, two assists, and four threes, may have suffered a groin contusion, but it doesn't sound serious at this time. Jeff Green, who scored 16 points, left the game for eight minutes after taking a shot to the head from Luis Scola, but that doesn't fully explain his second game this season without any rebounds. Beat writer Darnell Mayberry said he looked good all night, so I'm cautiously optimistic that Green's recent slump has a chance of ending, so hang in there and stay the course. Lastly, James Harden had the fingers on his shooting hand evaluated before the game and that may have contributed to his 0-for-3 FG shooting mark, which he supplemented with a perfect 8-of-8 mark from the foul line to finish with eight points, three rebounds, and one assist. Scott Brooks called for more defense from his squad, and unfortunately that doesn't bode well for Harden's low-end fantasy value, nor did Thabo Sefolosha's career-high tying 13 rebounds that went with six points, three assists, one steal, and three blocks in 35 minutes.

The Rockets started both Kyle Lowry and Aaron Brooks together again with Kevin Martin out, and both played reasonably well. Lowry had 18 points, three rebounds, and four assists, while Brooks had 17 points with no rebounds, five assists, and two steals. Rick Adelman will have a tough decision on his hands when Martin returns about who to start and who to bench, and it could seriously go either way. A lot will come down to how guys like Courtney Lee and Terrence Williams can handle their assignments, since Lowry is capable of playing SG. Should either guy falter, then Adelman would conceivably turn to Lowry off the bench for his ability to backup both guard spots. Lee scored a season-high 19 points with four rebounds and three assists last night, while Williams played just five minutes, for what it's worth.

Devin Harris scored 15 points and had a career-high 15 assists last night in the Nets' 118-109 overtime loss to the Suns. He's a must-start right now and with the Melo trade a mess right now owners would be wise to avoid jumping to conclusions with him, aside from his ever-present injury risk. Steve Nash went off for 23 points, seven rebounds, 16 assists on the other side, and also passed Mark Price for the NBA career FT% record (90.4%) while hitting his 41st straight freebie. Vince Carter had his first 20-point game since December 4, scoring 23 points with five rebounds and not much else, and Channing Frye kept things rolling with 21 points, seven rebounds, a steal, a block, and two threes. Frye looks well-positioned for the time-being, so enjoy.

Eric Gordon had another big night with 26 points, five rebounds, and six assists, and is quietly having a great year in both fantasy and reality. DeAndre Jordan struggled with just five points, four rebounds, two steals, and a block, but late breaking news last night pegged Chris Kaman as being questionable for the Clippers' road trip starting February 4-23. As one writer put it, Kaman would have to buy a ticket to get into Staples Center right now.

Baron Davis threw down a vintage dunk and, as mentioned, acted as peacemaker on his way to a season-high 20 points, five rebounds, nine assists, a block, and a three. It's funny how things work out – a superstar (Griffin) and a solid team guy (Gordon) take the reins and the culture changes, and now Davis looks like he's buying in, trying hard, and all of a sudden his value is on the rise. It's going to be tempting to hold onto that after all that owners have been through, but I'm still selling here knowing that the odds are in my favor.

Lost in all of the Kobe-Monta madness last night, Dorell Wright treated his owners to a 27-point, seven-rebound, four-assist, three-steal, two-block night that included five 3-pointers on 11-of-24 shooting. It's the stuff fantasy championships are made of.

[SIZE=+1]Thursday Night Lights[/SIZE]

We've got the Wizards vs. the Wolves in a regional TV matchup, the Magic vs. the Thunder in the early TNT game, and the Heat vs. the Nuggets in the late game. Andray Blatche (shoulder) is doubtful for the Wizards and Al Thornton looks like the starter if he can't go. For the Wolves, Michael Beasley (ankle) says he is questionable but Kurt Rambis says he's doubtful. After tweaking it in three straight games, I'm thinking coach wins here. The Thunder are dealing with all the aforementioned bumps and bruises while the Magic come in relatively healthy. As for the late-game, LeBron James' ankle and mouth will give Kenny and Charles plenty to talk about and the Nuggets come into the game healthier than they have all year. See you guys on Twitter for all of the festivities.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy related but good info.....

Bragging Wright
Week 12 challenge: Write a 12-word intro to this column.

Success.

[SIZE=+1]Trendspotting[/SIZE]

Three on the Rise:

Darren Collison: He brought many fantasy owners great anger during the first two months of the season, but let us not ignore Collison's spike in productivity of late. In his last six games, the Pacers PG has averaged 17.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 6.5 apg, 1.7 spg and 0.8 threes. That may not be what you expected when you drafted him, but at least he's looking solid and productive in his current allotment of 30 or so minutes a night.

Trevor Ariza: We'll give Ariza a cameo in the most complimentary section of this column, because based on his January stats (14.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.5 threes on 52.2 percent shooting), he is technically on the rise. But make no mistake, Ariza is still a bad shooter, still shooting too many threes (4.3 per game this month) and will sabotage your field goal percentage over the long run. He is worth owning right now based on the combo of points, threes and steals, but if I were looking for those stats, I would personally prefer a Leandro Barbosa (more on him below).
www.miamiheat.ws
Greg Monroe: In his last four games (one start), the No. 7 overall pick in last year's draft has posted 13.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg and 2.3 spg in 34 minutes per night. Known as a good passer, Monroe hasn't yet incorporated that into his NBA repertoire (just three assists total in his last four games) and isn't blocking shots (only three total in his last 12 games). But for points and rebounds with the upside for production in other categories, Monroe should be vacating the waiver wire in most competitive leagues right now.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattStroup

Three on the Plummet:

Richard Jefferson: R.J. in January (seven games): 9.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg, 0.4 spg and 1.3 threes, punctuated by a scoreless 28 minutes on Wednesday night. On the whole, he's just decent enough to convince you that he's worth a roster spot, but maddening to the point that you likely consider dropping him every day.

Keyon Dooling: Though averaging 27 minutes per game this month, his numbers in January (6.3 ppg, 5.0 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.8 threes on 35.9 percent shooting) have been atrocious. Forget using him as a handcuff to Brandon Jennings and look for value elsewhere.

Roy Hibbert: Unlike Jefferson and Dooling (two players I would find it therapeutic to jettison to waivers), I place Hibbert here as a means of encouragement. Yes, his minutes are down (22 per game this month). Yes, his shooting has been bad lately (37.0 percent in January). However, despite those issues, he's still posting 9.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg and 1.2 bpg in the calendar year 2011, which is actually considered thriving in the Tyson Chandler household. Stay patient with Hibbert and it will get better.

[SIZE=+1]Three Random but Hopefully Useful Observations[/SIZE]

1. Though he operates quietly, Dorell Wright is something of a statistical wrecking ball. For the season, he's No. 30 in Basketball Monster's eight-category rankings, and over the last month, Wright's 19.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.6 bpg and 3.1 threes rank him 12th overall. I ran directly into his 27-7-4 line with three steals, two blocks and five threes in one of my main leagues on Wednesday (which, for the record, was not pleasant), and would legitimately rank him as a top-25 option going forward. And speaking of the Warriors…

2. Buy low on Stephen Curry while you still can. The preseason first-round pick has posted a relatively quiet 14.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 5.7 apg, 2.3 spg and 1.5 threes in six games so far this month, numbers that rank him No. 26 overall on Basketball Monster's leaderboard for eight-category leagues. However, his very reachable upside for the second half of the season remains the top 10, and it's possible that mild frustration has set in for owners who have been carrying Curry on their roster this whole time.

3. The Baron Davis rejuvenation is in full effect. Davis (13.2 ppg, 8.3 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.7 bpg, 0.8 threes in his last 10) looked highly energized en route to a 20-4-9 line in Wednesday's win over the Heat, even shedding his current ground-bound ways at one point for an emphatic dunk. Though still not accurate from outside, his vision and scoring touch are very much in tact, and the only thing that's going to derail his productivity at this point is an injury.

[SIZE=+1]10 Quick-Hitting Statements of Fact and/or Opinion[/SIZE]

1) Leandro Barbosa since Dec. 10 (16 games): 16.4 ppg, 3.1 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.8 threes. He needs to be owned right now in all but the most shallow of leagues.

2) Kris Humphries since Derrick Favors became a starter (four games): 16.5 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.0 bpg, 29 minutes. Derrick Favors since Derrick Favors became a starter: 10.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 20 minutes. Point, Humphries.

3) The aforementioned Tyson Chandler has seen a nice rise in scoring this month (12.0 ppg with 11.0 rpg and 1.2 bpg through six games), but those points will likely take a dip downward once Dirk Nowitzki returns.

4) Boris Diaw under the Paul Silas regime (eight games): 9.5 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.1 spg, 1.1 bpg, 1.1 threes. Those are actually solid numbers, but unfortunately the coaching change doesn't appear to have fully awakened Diaw's oft-dormant offensive aggressiveness.

5) Not that his slump was ever that bad, but Pau Gasol is officially rolling again after averaging 19.5 ppg, 13.0 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.8 spg and 1.3 bpg in his last four games.

6) Nice to see Ben Gordon score 25 points off the bench on Wednesday. But the fact that he only got 23 minutes and had averaged just 5.7 ppg in his last three are reminders of why he still belongs on waivers.

7) Vince Carter has taken on a Jason Richardson-style shooter's role in Phoenix, averaging 17.9 ppg and 2.4 threes in his first eight games with the Suns. Don't expect much in any other category, but it's a definite improvement on his statistical upside in Orlando.

8) When getting 25-plus minutes this season (three games), Marreese Speights has posted 13.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg and 1.0 bpg. I'm not convinced that the Sixers see him as a long-term answer, but with Spencer Hawes struggling, Speights is worth a close look – especially in deeper leagues.

Editor's note: For exclusive articles, chats, projections and more, check out the Rotoworld NBA Season Pass.

9) Three scoring surges from Wednesday that I noticed but will ultimately be disregarding outside of deep leagues: Shawne Williams (25 points, seven threes), C.J. Miles (24 points, four threes), Raja Bell (18 points, four threes).

10) Jodie Meeks has bounced back to average 16.0 ppg and 3.0 threes in his last three, but we've seen these kinds of short-term outbursts from him before, and as much as I want to buy in, I ultimately don't trust him any further than I can throw a life-sized replica of a woolly mammoth.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Andray Blatche - F/C - Wizards

Andray Blatche will suit up Thursday against the T-Wolves, but Coach Flip Saunders has said he won't play.
He is still day-to-day, so check back to see if he can go Saturday against the Raptors. Al Thornton will take his place in the lineup. Jan. 13 - 7:12 p.m. ET
Source: Michael Lee

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Carmelo Anthony - F - Nuggets

The latest news regarding the ongoing Melo-drama is that the proposed three-team deal with the Nets and Pistons could go down this weekend. Fred Kreber of the New York Post blogged that several league sources believe the deal will happen this weekend. Meanwhile, Chris Broussard at ESPN posted on Twitter that the Knicks are trying to get the Grizzlies to include O.J. Mayo in a different three-team scenario.
There was no word about Melo signing an extension with the Nets, which has been keeping them from acquiring Anthony. As of right now, Carmelo still wants to go to the Knicks, while the Nuggets prefer the offer from New Jersey. New rumors are surfacing constantly, but for now nothing can be said with certainty. Jan. 13 - 7:54 p.m. ET
Source: Fred Kreber

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Anthony Parker - G - Cavaliers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Anthony Parker (back) has gone back to Cleveland, ruling him out of the final two games of the Cavs' road trip.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Parker has missed the last four games, hinting at more than mere back soreness. There's plenty of room for minutes if he can get back to 100 percent, but we'd move on in the meantime. Parker was averaging just 9.1 points a night in 34 starts this season anyway.
Jan. 13 - 4:44 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mary Schmitt Boyer on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Daniel Gibson - G - Cavaliers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Daniel Gibson (ankle) practiced with the Cavs Thursday but is unlikely to play this weekend.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>The Cavs have a back-to-back on Friday and Saturday as the wrap up their road trip. It sounds like Gibson will use that time to get his ankle back to 100 percent. Still, Boobie worth owning in most formats. With all the Cavs' injuries, he will likely start and get a ton of burn once healthy.
Jan. 13 - 4:40 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mary Schmitt Boyer on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selectionpartners
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com