NBA News/Injuries/etc. (1/18/11)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Marcus Camby - F/C - Trail Blazers

Marcus Camby spoke of possibly being ready for Wednesday's game at Sacramento despite his sore left knee.
This is our third Camby udate of the afternoon. The first was all sunshine, the second mostly gloom and doom, and this one has a promising quote from Camby when asked if he feels like he could play right now. "Right now? Today? No. But tomorrow probably," Camby said. "Stay with a treatment. If it feels good around seven o'clock, I'll be out there." That's a big if, but it does sound like there's a chance he could go tomorrow if he's feeling better, and the team gets a good report from orthopedist Dr. Don Roberts. Jan. 18 - 5:19 p.m. ET
Source: The Columbian

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Carlos Boozer - F - Bulls

Carlos Boozer will miss a second straight game on Tuesday against the Bobcats with a sprained left ankle.
He was feeling better on Monday, but it now sounds like he'll target Thursday against the Mavericks for his return. Taj Gibson should have another solid game tonight. Jan. 18 - 3:39 p.m. ET
Source: K.C. Johnson on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Joakim Noah - F/C - Bulls

Joakim Noah is hoping for a quick return to action once the pin is removed from his thumb on Jan. 25, although he's going to need rehab.
February 24 will mark the 10-week anniversary of his surgery and the Bulls play the Heat that night. "I’m all about getting this pin out of my finger and getting my hand back to 100 percent," he said. "Hopefully it’s before that because I would love to play in that game." So let's go with a Feb. 24 target date for Noah. And if you've been watching him on the bench, it's clear that he's dying to get back on the floor. Jan. 18 - 3:22 p.m. ET
Source: NBA.com

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Ben Wallace - F/C - Pistons

Ben Wallace is questionable for Wednesday's game against the Celtics with his lingering ankle injury.
His return will likely hurt Greg Monroe some, although we'd like to think Monroe has earned solid minutes over the rest of the season. As of Monday there was no timetable on his return, so Wallace must be feeling better. Jan. 18 - 2:51 p.m. ET
Source: Chris Iott on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
square_sports.gif
Russell Westbrook - G - Thunder </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Russell Westbrook showed no ill effects from his bruised right foot in Monday's loss to the Lakers.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Westbrook piled up nearly 42 minutes and was flying all over the court Monday night. He has now played in 205 consecutive games, adding durability to his long list of assets. Westbrook has raised his scoring average more than six points this season and still seems to be merely scratching the surface.
Jan. 18 - 12:15 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Oklahoman</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
LeBron James - F - Heat </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Updating a previous item, LeBron James (ankle) is expected to play in Tuesday's game against the Hawks.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>The Heat's official line is that James is a game-time call. But beat reporter Ira Winderman appears to be reading between the lines and gathers that James is expected to play. The fact that LeBron skipped shootaround isn't a good sign, but it doesn't really matter for a player of his caliber. We're now likely to see LeBron's name in there when official starters are released around 7 p.m. ET.
Jan. 18 - 11:41 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Ira Winderman on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Dwyane Wade - G - Heat </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Dwyane Wade (knee, wrists) is expected to play in Tuesday's game against the Hawks.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Wade skipped shootaround Tuesday morning, but there's no real injury here. Wade is used to taking hard spills and playing through soreness. With Chris Bosh (ankle) already ruled out, Wade is poised for a big night.
Jan. 18 - 11:40 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Ira Winderman on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Chris Paul - G - Hornets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Chris Paul's left ankle was at less than 100 percent Monday, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Paul refused to blame his ankle and hip woes on his woeful shooting performance, saying he simply couldn't make a shot. But it's obvious that the nagging injuries have affected CP3's play. Over his last three games, he's averaging a mere 12.0 points and 7.6 assists. Since these injuries are not chronic or serious, there's no reason to panic. Paul will get back to his usual dominant self shortly.
Jan. 18 - 11:37 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Chris Bosh - F/C - Heat </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Chris Bosh (ankle) will not play in Tuesday's game against the Hawks while LeBron James (ankle) is tentatively expected to play.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>After tonight, the Heat don't play again until Saturday versus the Raptors. While Bosh is no lock to play in that game, he'll have plenty of practice time to test out that sprain. Joel Anthony, who is averaging 1.4 blocks a night in just 18.6 minutes, is likely to draw the start tonight.
Jan. 18 - 11:16 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Heat on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy related but good info....

Poster Child Strikes Again
Well, that was quite a flurry of activity on Monday, as I'm sure we posted more blurbs than we ever have on MLK Day before. There was a ton of injury news throughout the day, there were several memorable performances and many of my Bold Predictions from Monday's Dose came true (while several didn't). Let's take a look at how the predictions went, the injury fallout, the hot pickups after Monday, duds, and the studs that had monster lines on MLK Day. I put studs, like the new king of fantasy, Blake Griffin, at the end because they shouldn't be available in fantasy leagues. But if you like reading good things about your guys, you might be interested in sticking it out until the end.

[SIZE=+1]Bold Predictions[/SIZE]

What I got right

I nearly called triple-doubles from Derrick Rose and Boris Diaw (along with the Sixers winning), had the Suns winning at New York and the Pistons knocking off the Mavericks. I had Greg Monroe's great line nearly nailed, and called the Celtics over the Magic, as well as a monster line from Dwight Howard. I also called for 15 points, 11 boards and five blocks from Darko Milicic, who finished with 22, 8 and 4. Not bad, right?
www.miamiheat.ws
What I got wrong

Andrei Kirilenko and Stephen Curry laid eggs, and while Channing Frye had a nice line, it wasn't as nice as I'd predicted. The Wiz stunned the Jazz, Andrew Bogut, DeAndre Jordan, Trevor Ariza and Ben Gordon didn't live up to the hype, and Rajon Rondo had just a double-double instead of the predicted triple-double. I also missed Kevin Durant, who struggled with his shot against Ron Artest and company last night.

[SIZE=+1]Injury Fallout[/SIZE]

Michael Beasley – Played through an ankle sprain, still not 100 percent.
Marcus Camby – Left with knee injury, will have an MRI. Figures.
Brandon Roy – Had double knee surgery on Monday. Cut him.
Tyrus Thomas – Was suspended for Monday, but will be back for next one.
Carlos Boozer – Likely out another game with a left ankle sprain.
Andres Nocioni – Has been shutdown with a broken finger.
Mo Williams – Non-contact practice with hip injury, very iffy for Weds.
Anthony Parker – Out another week or so.
Daniel Gibson – Due back on Wednesday.
Josh Howard – Cortisone shot in knee, will miss at least 10 more days.
Tony Allen – Missed another on Monday w/ sprained knee, day-to-day.
Marvin Williams – No timetable on return from back injury.
Dwyane Wade – Probable Tuesday with sore knee/wrists.
Chris Bosh – Doubtful with a sprained ankle.
LeBron James – Questionable with a sprained ankle. Iffy tonight.
Francisco Garcia – Surprise scratch with calf injury. Donte Greene started.
Ronny Turiaf – Out with a hip injury. Can't stay healthy.
Tyson Chandler – Missed Monday with an illness.
Linas Kleiza – Missed with knee injury, maybe drop for hot free agent.

Camby, Bosh, LeBron, Garcia, Chandler and Kleiza were the big injury headlines from Monday, which isn't too bad considering how many guys were playing.

[SIZE=+1]Fantasy Fallout – Who To Target[/SIZE]

Ryan Anderson kept it going with 16 points, eight rebounds, four 3-pointers and two blocks, and looks like an automatic pickup to me. He was yesterday morning's Pickup of the Day in Season Pass and is in many of my starting lineups this week.

Darren Collison had 30 points, eight dimes and two threes. Small ball in Indy is working in his favor and he should be grabbed immediately if he was dropped in your league.

Nick Young had 25 points and three 3-pointers, and continues to score at will for the Wizards. He won't do much else, but is clearly worth owning.

Grant Hill had 25 points and six boards, and might be available in your league. He appears to be healthy again and should be owned and in starting lineups.

Channing Frye had 18 points and two threes, and is clearly back in the mix after a brief dry spell. Make sure he's not sitting out there in your league.

Charlie Villanueva stayed hot with 15 points and three 3-pointers, and has played well in three straight. With Richard Hamilton banished, CV looks like a smart pick up.

Corey Maggette moved into the starting lineup and had 25 points on 11-of-18 shooting. I don't trust him, but he's going to have nice value if he can stick in the starting five this time.

Greg Monroe had 16 points, nine rebounds and four steals, and should no longer be available in many leagues. The Pistons are finally using him, and he's paying dividends.

As mentioned before, Darko Milicic had 22 points, eight boards, two steals and four blocks, and I don't think he should have ever been dropped despite his recent struggles. He is injury prone this season, and dealing with shooting and turnover problems, but when he gets it going, he can put up some wicked numbers – like he did last night.

Lou Williams stayed hot with 23 points and a 3-pointer off the Sixers' bench and is now a player that should be owned in most leagues.

Landry Fields is still not the most exciting guy around, but is a solid glue guy for the Knicks. He had 11 points and nine boards last night, and while he's not an automatic start, he's worth hanging onto in nearly all leagues.

Danilo Gallinari returned to score 17 and should be owned in all leagues. But coming off a knee injury, it's possible he is (or was) available in yours.

Continue reading for more fantasy fallout, pickups, duds, and studs.
<!--RW-->
Amir Johnson's 17 points, eight rebounds, three steals and two blocks were nice to see as he continues to flirt with serious fantasy value. Just don't trust him until he's doing this every night for the Raps.

Kris Humphries managed to keep it going with his own 11 & 10 double-double. This guy just won't go away, and despite not starting, is still technically the Nets' No. 1 power forward.

Sasha Vujacic stayed hot with 16 points and a 3-pointers, and is on a roll. I picked him up in several leagues last week and you should give him a look if you need the treys.

Drew Gooden double-doubled off the bench and might be getting healthy. He's a low-end fantasy power forward, but a tough start as long as he's coming off the Bucks' bench.

Kwame Brown's 15 points, 16 rebounds, a steal and a block were a pleasant surprise and while it's hard to believe, he's worth owning right now. And if Michael Jordan continues to try to save face and starts him the rest of the way, he could become a double-double machine. Just keep in mind that he is still Kwame Brown, meaning this could easily be a mirage.

Ramon Sessions, Daniel Gibson and the Cavs were off on Monday, but both are worth a close look with Mo Williams suffering from a hip injury and some mindset issues. Gibson should be back on Wednesday and I am expecting a nice line from Sessions in that one.

Kyle Korver's 22 points and six threes for Chicago were nice to see and it's possible he keeps it up with Boozer temporarily on the shelf. Someone has to hit threes and he's another guy who could rack up a ton of threes if he can stay hot.

Taj Gibson had 10 points, seven rebounds and six blocks for the Bulls, but with Carlos Boozer expected back soon, it's going to be a short run.

Jarrett Jack has played well in two straight and had 17 points, three assists and a 3-pointer off the bench for the Hornets. Don't go grab him yet, but it's clear that Monty Williams likes him, which is a key for any Hornets player. Just ask Marcus Thornton and his owners.

Jordan Hill had 10 points and 10 boards, and a big fourth quarter. He earned more minutes last night, but will only be worth adding if he takes over the starting gig from Chuck Hayes in Houston.

Chris Wilcox had eight points and six boards in another start for the Pistons. I'm not rushing to pick him up, but do keep an eye on him.

Ed Davis came off the bench for 11 points, 12 boards and two blocks for the Raptors yesterday and is making some noise. Put him on your radar.

Julian Wright started for Linas Kleiza and had 11 points and six boards on 5-of-8 shooting. If you're in a deep league, keep an eye on this situation, as the Raptors are banged up with Kleiza and Leandro Barbosa out.

Shawne Williams fouled out in 25 minutes for the Knicks, but is getting run and is worth a deep-league look. He hit seven threes in one game last week.

Ike Diogu had nine points and six rebounds, and is suddenly relevant for the Clippers.

[SIZE=+1]Duds[/SIZE]

Kyle Lowry had just four points, five rebounds and six assists, while Aaron Brooks was just 1-of-8 for five points in 18 minutes. It's a miracle the Rockets won with the point guards playing so poorly, and it's pretty clear that Rick Adelman still has a lot more use for Lowry than he does Brooks. Cut Brooks if you must, but I think he's still worth hanging onto in many instances. Hang onto Lowry as long as he's starting.

Jason Kidd went 0-for-7 without a point, and while he did have 13 assists, his line was pretty pathetic. He's so not fun to own in three out of every four games, so if you're tired of the roller coaster ride, wait until he goes off and try to move him.

Jose Calderon was 0-for-5 without a point and also had 13 assists, but even kicked in seven turnovers. Calderon has been hot and despite a foot injury that makes me nervous, I say hang in there with him. Kidd and Calderon are just two of a handful of point guards who can score zero yet still have a positive fantasy impact.

Andrea Bargnani hit just 4-of-17 shots for 11 points and four boards, but was due to cool off. He will bounce back.

Stephen Curry had 13 points and six dimes, but played just 23 minutes with four fouls for the Warriors. Keith Smart is messing with Curry's minutes and Curry appears to be developing a bit of an attitude. I'm not panicking yet, but this is clearly a huge concern for a guy we all took in Round 1 or 2. He should bounce back from this one, but I am going to be watching his minutes very closely.

DeShawn Stevenson had just five points after losing his starting job to Jason Terry yesterday. The run is over, he's stunk it up in his last four games and can be dropped for a hot free agent.

Shawn Marion had just four points in 27 minutes, but it feels a little like a fluke. I bet he bounces back.

Continue reading for more duds and studs from Monday.
<!--RW-->
Trevor Ariza hit just 2-of-8 shots for five points, seven boards and a three, and might be ready to cool off again. I picked him up in a few leagues recently, and will wait until the end of the week to make a decision on him. He's been playing better lately and I'm hoping this was just an off night.

Ersan Ilyasova hit just 2-of-10 shots for four points and eight rebounds, and takes a hit with Corey Maggette starting and Drew Gooden healthy. He's going to be very up and down going forward (as usual).

Tracy McGrady had just eight points in 26 minutes for Detroit, but at least played on a sore leg. Keep him and see what happens the rest of the week.

Ben Gordon cooled off with just 11 points and a three on 3-of-8 shooting in 28 minutes. It still feels like he's going to turn the corner for the Pistons, but last night was a step backwards.

Jamal Crawford cooled off hitting just 2-of-9 shots for eight points and seven assists for the Hawks. He's fine and I'm not worried about him, unless we hear his back is troubling him again.

Derrick Favors failed to score again despite another start and I have dumped him. We knew coming in he was raw and not ready for the NBA, but he's eventually going to be a stud. The starting is a nice bonus, but he's not doing much, if anything, with the opportunity.

Roy Hibbert played just 12 minutes for four points, four boards, two blocks and five fouls and someone asked me on Twitter last night when he should start getting concerned about Hibbert. My answer was "three weeks ago." I own Hibbert in a few leagues and with this small-ball kick in Indy, as well as Jim O'Brien's apparent disdain for Hibbert, it's going to be a long road. I'm not cutting him, but I'm not playing him either.

Tyler Hansbrough had just two points in 16 minutes in another start, but he's another guy who has to suffer through the Obie era in Indy. Drop him if you want to.

Mike Dunleavy came off the bench so that Brandon Rush could guard Eric Gordon, but it was an epic fail. Dunleavy was just 1-of-10 for two points, while Rush, who scored 10 of his own, let Gordon go off for 23 points, seven dimes and three 3-pointers.

DeAndre Jordan had just seven points, six boards and no blocks against the Pacers, and was also in foul trouble all day. I was right in my prediction that he would get Hibbert into foul trouble, but didn't see Jordan doing the same. He's fine, so stick with him.

Gilbert Arenas played just 16 minutes again for seven points, while Jameer Nelson had just nine points and five assists in 33 minutes. The play of the Orlando game was Nelson's bad pass right to Kevin Garnett near the end, which Stan Van Gundy is not going to forget about. Eventually they're going to realize that they have a dynamic scorer on their bench and it's not out of the question that Arenas could replace Nelson at some point. Try to hang in there with Gil if you can.

Corey Brewer had 10 points, a steal and a block, but no threes in another start for the Wolves. With Wesley Johnson getting a DNP from Kurt Rambis, I still think Brewer is worth hanging onto in many situations. .

Wesley Johnson got his first DNP-CD and it was because Wesley Matthews torched him for a huge first half a couple weeks ago. The Wolves were facing Matthews and the Blazers again on Monday, so Rambis shut him down. If you own Johnson and can cut him for Brewer (or someone else), I'd do it.

Nicolas Batum cooled off for just five points, nine boards and a block on 1-of-11 shooting, but had been playing well. Obviously, it wasn't his night, but he'll bounce back and I still think he's a nice pickup.

[SIZE=+1]Studs With Monster Lines[/SIZE]

There were a ton of monster lines on Monday and here is a long list of guys who went nuts.

Derrick Rose and Boris Diaw triple-doubled, but Diaw gets hurt by the return of Tyrus Thomas. Blake Griffin went nuts, not only scoring an NBA season high of 47 points, not only racking up his 27th straight double-double, but doing so in just 37 minutes on 19-of-24 shooting. Not much to say there, other than 'wow.' Aaron Bruski has dubbed him the Poster Child, and I have to say, I like it.

Baron Davis had 14 points and 12 dimes, Deron Williams had 28 points, 11 assists and six treys, and John Wall had 19 points and 15 assists.

Andray Blatche double-doubled for 21 & 11 to go along with three steals and four blocks, Vince Carter had 29 points, 12 boards and five 3-pointers, and Amare Stoudemire had 41 points, six boards and a block for the Knicks.

Emeka Okafor had 17 points, 16 boards and a block, Kevin Martin scored 36, and Rodney Stuckey had 20 points and six assists.

Beno Udrih, Tyreke Evans, DeMarcus Cousins and Jason Thompson were all solid for the Kings, while Joe Johnson had 36 points, Al Horford had 23 points, 9 rebounds, six assists and a career-high seven blocks, while Josh Smith filled the stat sheet across the board. Thompson looks like a better fantasy own than Carl Landry, but that seems to change on a weekly basis.

Devin Harris had 19 points and eight assists, and Brook Lopez had 20 points, seven boards, a steal and two blocks. Monta Ellis had 26 points and nine assists, and David Lee double-doubled with 24 points and 10 boards on 9-of-13 shooting for the Warriors.

Dwight Howard had 33 points, 13 rebounds and no blocks against Shaquille O'Neal. Kevin Garnett was back in action with 19 points and eight board, and looks like he's good to go again after a calf injury.

Kevin Love added 22 points and 17 boards after I 'reverse jinxed' him on Twitter after a slow start. Andre Miller stayed hot with a double-double, Wesley Matthews had 23 points and three 3-pointers, while LaMarcus Aldridge went off for a career-high 37 points, 12 boards, two steals and two blocks. He's loving life without Roy around as the dream season continues.

Russell Westbrook had 32 points and 12 assists, while Andrew Bynum rewarded owners with another double-double of 10 & 10 with a block.

And with that, Dr. A has left the building.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Gibson's Window
All NBA teams deal with injuries throughout an 82 game season. But only a handful of teams truly get decimated. The Blazers are a good example of what can happen when massive injuries strike: LaMarcus Aldridge has been given room to fully bust out while upside players such as Wesley Matthews and Nicolas Batum become fantasy assets.

The Cavs are going through an injury binge of their own right now. Already one of the thinnest teams in the league, the remaining talent is about to be pushed to the limit.

Each week in this space, I'll explore the rotations of half the league's teams while attempting to get inside coaches' heads and rotations. The idea is not to tell you what Kevin Durant and LeBron James are going to do -- it's to decipher how much production we can get out of fringe players. Last week, I kicked things off with the West. Now, it's time for the East. Let's start with those Cavs.

* Note that lineups listed reflect the starters in the team's previous game. Stats are through Monday's games unless otherwise noted.

<BIG>CLEVELAND</BIG>
PG Mo Williams
SG Manny Harris
SF Alonzo Gee
PF Antawn Jamison
C J.J. Hickson

The Cavs have lost 13 straight games, Mo Williams has been extremely banged up all year and he aggravated a hip flexor strain on Saturday. This has disaster written all over it for the veteran, who is averaging five-year lows in minutes (30.3), points (13.6), treys (1.0) and field-goal percentage (38.7) anyway. Never fear, however. Bad teams decimated by injuries often open doors for fantasy production.

Look for Ramon Sessions and Daniel Gibson to form the Cavs' starting backcourt Wednesday. Sessions has played 30 minutes or more eight times this season. In those eight games, he's averaging 17.7 points and. 5.6 assists. Gibson's 11 starts this season have produced 14.4 points, 2.4 treys and 1.3 steals per game. Both players are looking at major minutes, have fantasy friendly games and possess long-term upside.

At age 34, Antawn Jamison is playing 36.5 minutes a night over his last eight games. He's also been on fire, averaging 22.4 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.1 3-pointers and 1.3 steals over that span. The chances of Jamison maintaining that torrid pace on his balky knees is mildly concerning, but the prospect of him being dealt to a contender is downright frightening. He could very well be asked to come off the bench and his shot attempts would plummet. Sell high.

Quickly on J.J. Hickson: Since Anderson Varejao (ankle) went down, Hickson has started four straight games and played 35-plus minutes in three of them. Motivated to prove his early-season funk was a fluke, Hickson's substantial talent will shine through over the final 40 games. The Cavs must develop him as a building block.

<BIG>ATLANTA</BIG>
PG Mike Bibby
SG Joe Johnson
SF Josh Smith
PF Al Horford
C Jason Collins

The mystery surrounding Marvin Williams' back injury has sparked Jamal Crawford's season. Over the last eight games Williams has missed, Crawford is averaging 22.3 points per game. In the other 34 games, he's averaging 14.3. Williams' seemingly imminent return can't help Crawford.

As for Williams, his role was always as a non-featured scorer that does little else. Now that the Hawks have gone 6-2 in his absence, his arrow is pointing down. Coach Larry Drew seems to like the idea of starting Jason Collins against bigger front lines, leaving Williams as the second man off the bench in those instances.

Editor's Note: Draft a hoops team just for tonight and win real cash in SnapDraft!

<BIG>BOSTON</BIG>
PG Rajon Rondo
SG Ray Allen
SF Paul Pierce
PF Kevin Garnett
C Shaquille O'Neal
www.miamiheat.ws
Glen Davis' production as a starter vs. a reserve really is not all that different. In nine starts, he is averaging 13.7 points and 4.2 rebounds. In 30 games as a sub prior to Monday night, he was averaging 12.1 points and 5.7 rebounds in five less minutes a night. The explanation is simple: The hefty Davis wears down easily, settles for jumpers when he gets tired and is better around 29 minutes a game off the bench. That's what he'll get now that Kevin Garnett (calf) is back, but without real rebound, block, steal or assist upside, Big Baby is a low-end play. Garnett has taken enough time off to ensure he is 100 percent and will quickly ramp back up to his usual 30-32 minutes nightly.

Looking ahead, Kendrick Perkins (knee surgery) has returned to full practices and is targeting early February for his return. It's an extremely rapid recovery as Perkins had ACL surgery just over five months ago, meaning the Celtics and owners should keep expectations low. Perkins' effectiveness in spot minutes off the bench will decide if he eventually takes his starting job back from Shaquille O'Neal. For now, Perkins belongs on waivers.

<BIG>CHARLOTTE</BIG>
PG D.J. Augustin
SG Stephen Jackson
SF Gerald Wallace
PF Boris Diaw
C Kwame Brown

Michael Jordan has been saying that Kwame Brown should be the starting center for months now. Unlike Larry Brown, new coach Paul Silas is listening to his boss -- and it's paying off. Showing renewed motivation, Brown has started eight straight games and averaged 9.3 points and 9.1 rebounds over that span. He'll stick as the clear starter over Nazr Mohammed, but the problem is that Brown doesn't even leave his feet to try to block shots. The former No. 1 overall pick has two blocks over his last eight games.

Owners should not panic over D.J. Augustin's miserable 4-of-16 performance Monday afternoon. He simply missed wide open shots that he normally makes in his sleep. Augustin is in no danger of losing his 33-35 minutes nightly to backup Shaun Livingston.

<BIG>CHICAGO</BIG>
PG Derrick Rose
SG Keith Bogans
SF Luol Deng
PF Taj Gibson
C Kurt Thomas

There is a ton of controversy over the Bulls' starting shooting guard spot for no reason. Ronnie Brewer is the better player and gets 10-13 minutes more than Keith Bogans per game even though Bogans starts. Kyle Korver is also in the mix to spread the floor when he gets hot. Fantasy owners should simply ignore this whole mess.

Injuries to both Joakim Noah (thumb) and Carlos Boozer (ankle) have opened the door for both Taj Gibson and Luol Deng. Gibson's offensive game remains shaken by that concussion, but he has quietly developed into a premier shot blocker. He's swatting 2.5 shots per game over his last seven, despite playing 20 or fewer minutes in four of those games. As long as Boozer is out, Gibson is locked into 35-plus minutes making him a strong fantasy play.

Once Boozer returns, Kurt Thomas is a good bet to remain in the starting five no matter how well Gibson plays. But at age 38, Thomas is not a real fantasy option. He is showing signs of running out of gas and a healthy Gibson should be able to steal plenty of minutes. Just be ready to drop this situation once Noah gets back in late February.

Editor's Note: For weekly projections, daily pickup advice, exclusive columns and much more, check out Rotoworld's Season Pass!

<!--RW-->

<BIG>DETROIT</BIG>
PG Tracy McGrady
SG Rodney Stuckey
SF Tayshaun Prince
PF Chris Wilcox
C Greg Monroe

Greg Monroe's emergence has been rapid and impressive. Just a few months ago, he couldn't catch passes in traffic, was criticized for a lack of energy on the court and looked downright slow. Now the rookie has scored in double figures in seven straight games and is averaging an impressive 2.57 steals over that span. Ben Wallace (ankle) may start out of respect upon his return, but he figures to play a fraction of the minutes Monroe will get. Owners of Monroe should hop on and enjoy the ride -- even embattled coach John Kuester has been effusive with his praise of the No. 7 overall pick.

The Tracy McGrady comeback story is nice in theory, but it's not realistic. Starting him and playing him 30 minutes is a surefire way to make McGrady's fragile body break down, and it's not like T-Mac is dominating games anyway. No longer quick enough to go past defenders, he has served as a jump shooter and facilitator. In nine starts entering Monday, McGrady was averaging 11.7 points, 4.4 assists and 4.2 rebounds. Once the Pistons' brass demands that Kuester play his young guns, McGrady will really fizzle out. With Richard Hamilton on his way out also, Ben Gordon will eventually be a fantasy asset.

<BIG>INDIANA</BIG>
PG Darren Collison
SG Brandon Rush
SF Danny Granger
PF Tyler Hansbrough
C Roy Hibbert

Tyler Hansbrough's promotion into the starting five has been below average at best. He's showing a vastly improved mid-range jump shot when compared to his Tar Heel days, but his offensive game and strength is still too raw for the NBA level. Therefore, Hansbrough has played 24 minutes or fewer in each of his last five games. Additionally, coach Jim O'Brien's insistence on playing small ball leaves Hansbrough -- and all the Pacers' power forwards -- as undesirable fantasy plays.

Meanwhile, O'Brien is finally catering the offense to his prized offseason acquisition, Darren Collison. By putting Collison in pick-and-rolls while surrounded by shooters, he is playing to his point guard's strong suits. Collison's minutes are over 32 per night in January, after hovering around 28.5 for much of the season. The arrow here is pointing up.

The only way to explain Roy Hibbert's erratic minutes is the big man's mind-boggling inability to convert high-percentage shots. O'Brien has gotten fed up with Hibbert's extended cold streak and now gives him the quick hook often, resulting in 25-plus minutes just once in his last seven games. Hibbert's talent is strong enough to be stashed, but there are no signs this situation will reverse course anytime soon.

Predicting who will start between Brandon Rush and Mike Dunelavy on a nightly basis is a futile exercise. O'Brien says Rush starts against dominant wing players like Kobe Bryant and Eric Gordon, but does not start him against Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, Manu Ginobili etc. Without any predictability, this is a headache fantasy owners should try to avoid.

<BIG>MIAMI</BIG>
PG Carlos Arroyo
SG Dwyane Wade
SF James Jones
PF Chris Bosh
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas

LeBron James' ankle sprain is not overly serious, but it's worth noting how poorly James Jones played in his two starts. Jones averaged just 18 minutes and five shot attempts per game, leaving the door wide open for Mike Miller to become the Heat's primary sharpshooter off the bench. Still, Miller has proven to be a poor fit in Miami. He actually excels with the ball in his hands and that obviously isn't happening with the Big Three in town. There is no upside to chase here with either player.

Meanwhile, Chris Bosh is dealing with an ankle injury of his own suffered Saturday night. Miami's gaggle of minimum wage big men will chop up his 35.5 minutes, canceling each other out. Only Joel Anthony has any spot-start value as a blocks specialist. In nine starts earlier this year, Anthony averaged 1.2 blocks a night.

<BIG>MILWAUKEE</BIG>
PG Keyon Dooling
SG John Salmons
SF Corey Maggette
PF Ersan Ilyasova
C Andrew Bogut

Corey Maggette's promotion into the starting five is intriguing. He is still among the best in the league at getting to the rim and drawing fouls as a career 82.1 percent free-throw shooter. Maggette racked up nearly 39 minutes Monday even though both Chris Douglas-Roberts and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute were healthy, proving coach Scott Skiles appears ready to stick with Maggette as his starting small forward going forward. Don't expect anything significant in defensive stats, treys or assists, but Maggette can help deep leaguers in points and free-throw.

Ersan Ilyasova has a fantasy-friendly game thanks to his rebounding/shooting ability. But the return of Drew Gooden (foot) and Mbah a Moute's demotion hurts Ilyasova badly. Both reserves can play the power forward spot and their defense will be needed more with Maggette out there. Ilyasova is a fringe play.

Brandon Jennings (foot) should be back in the lineup by the end of the week and will obviously immediately regain his starting gig. No Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry saga here. Over the last month, Keyon Dooling has proven why he is a career journeyman.

<BIG>NEW JERSEY</BIG>
PG Devin Harris
SG Stephen Graham
SF Travis Outlaw
PF Derrick Favors
C Brook Lopez

The longer the Carmelo Anthony saga drags on, the more it looks like he will not be a Net. The latest news that he does not plan on even giving the Nets a chance to woo him could be a death blow for the proposed three-team trade. For now, the only stash is Jordan Farmar just in case Devin Harris ends up gone as part of another deal.

Derrick Favors has started seven straight games, but it's clear coach Avery Johnson prefers Kris Humphries. During that span, Favors is averaging 18.8 minutes a night while Humphries is at 28.1. Don't let who is starting here cloud judgment -- Humphries is the more valuable player.

Anthony Morrow (hamstring) is finally close to a return, but Johnson has already stated that he will not be handed the starting job back. Even for a hard-nosed coach like Johnson, that has to be coach speak. Stephen Graham is barely a backup-caliber player and Sasha Vujacic is a defensive liability against starters. Once he puts in a few full practices, look for Morrow and his 1.8 treys per game to regain his starting job.

<!--RW-->

<BIG>NEW YORK</BIG>
PG Raymond Felton
SG Landry Fields
SF Wilson Chandler
PF Danilo Gallinari
C Amare Stoudemire

Coach Mike D'Antoni prefers tight rotations and Danilo Gallinari is one of his hand-picked, favorite players. The rumors that Gallinari may see his minutes cut or lose his starting job were laughable. Gallinari remains a buy low guy and a lock for 33-36 minutes nightly after recovering from his knee sprain.

Anthony Randolph has now fallen out of favor with two separate teams that play his style of basketball. It's a major concern. Before you stash him and wait for a trade, realize that there's a reason he can't get in the rotation. Randolph does not appear to "get it" just yet.

<BIG>ORLANDO</BIG>
PG Jameer Nelson
SG Jason Richardson
SF Hedo Turkoglu
PF Brandon Bass
C Dwight Howard

Coach Stan Van Gundy has repeatedly admitted that he may need to tweak his starting five, and the most likely move is inserting red-hot Ryan Anderson in place of Brandon Bass. Even if he makes the move however, neither power forward is likely to separate and play true starter's minutes. Still, Anderson has more than a little Channing Frye in him and is gaining confidence by the day. If the promotion happens, Anderson will be a must-own in all formats because of his blocks/steals skill set.

The trade for Gilbert Arenas has not worked out. Arenas is playing less than 20 minutes per game over his last eight while Jameer Nelson has been brutal -- possibly looking over his shoulder. Both should be stashed while owners pray for an injury.

<BIG>PHILADELPHIA</BIG>
PG Jrue Holiday
SG Jodie Meeks
SF Andre Iguodala
PF Elton Brand
C Spencer Hawes

Elton Brand is clearly healthier this season after finally having an offseason where he was not rehabbing a major injury. But the real difference is that he has the trust and support of his coach this season. Doug Collins has numerous Duke ties thanks to son Chris and is playing Brand more than 38 minutes a night over the last two weeks. Eddie Jordan saw Brand as a broken down, bloated contract and was pained to give him 30 minutes nightly. There is no reason to sell high on Brand, who has perfected his mid-range jumpers like so many veteran power forwards before him.

Jodie Meeks is a backup-caliber player and Collins knows it. Unless the second-year shooter gets hot at the outset of either half, he's a poor bet to reach 20 minutes. There's too much risk here to chase 3-pointers. Meanwhile, Lou Williams is locked into a bench role but will play in the fourth quarter of all close games. It's enough to guarantee 23-26 minutes most nights, but those minutes are as a pure scorer. Williams' season averages entering Monday of 3.4 assists, 1.1 treys and 0.6 steals leave a lot to be desired in fantasy even when he is on fire.

Spencer Hawes' back is fine, but his game is not. He looks unathletic and Collins has been really quick with the hook on his starting center of late. Hawes has played 18 minutes or less in four of his last six games and that mid-December hot streak was a clear mirage. The versatile 7-footer is destined to tease more than produce.

<BIG>TORONTO</BIG>
PG Jose Calderon
SG DeMar DeRozan
SF Julian Wright
PF Amir Johnson
C Andrea Bargnani

Reports out of Toronto keep surfacing about how injured Jose Calderon's feet are, but he is playing his best ball in years despite Monday's zero-point showing. Since Jarrett Jack was traded back in November, Calderon is averaging 11.9 points and 10.2 assists on 50.7 percent shooting in 33.5 minutes a night. There's no reason to sell high here, Jerryd Bayless is a mere handcuff/insurance policy even when healthy.

Amir Johnson's promotion into the starting five was exciting at first, but a nagging back injury has sapped his athleticism. Johnson is averaging just 1.1 blocks per night in 24 starts, not enough for someone with his limited offensive game (9.8 points per game as a starter). With Reggie Evans eventually returning and Johnson's back showing no signs of improvement, the former Piston is a risky fantasy play despite 28 minutes nightly.

<BIG>WASHINGTON</BIG>
PG John Wall
SG Nick Young
SF Rashard Lewis
PF Andray Blatche
C Javale McGee

There was some question about who would start at shooting guard once both Kirk Hinrich and Nick Young were healthy at the same time. Young left no doubts about that as he's finally "gotten it" in year four. In 14 starts entering Monday, Young was averaging 20.6 points and 2.3 treys a night. He has earned his role as the clear starter and core player for the future. Hinrich can still help your team in 25 minutes a night as the third guard, but will need an injury to Young or John Wall to be a real asset.

JaVale McGee is locked in as the starter, but inconsistency leads to sporadic minutes. Owners are best served to close their eyes and put him out their nightly, even when he is in a rut. McGee leads all regulars in blocks per 48 minutes, just ahead of Darko Milicic, Larry Sanders and Samuel Dalembert.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
LeBron James - F - Heat

The Heat won't let the world know the status of LeBron James, who has missed a couple games with a sprained ankle, for Tuesday's game until just before tip off.
"We'll take that right to the last minute," coach Erik Spoelstra said of LeBron's status for tonight. "A lot of my cards are blank." An earlier report suggested that LeBron will play tonight and it would be surprising to see him sit at this point. He's currently receiving treatment on his ankle, so stay tuned. Jan. 18 - 6:01 p.m. ET
Source: Ira Winderman on Twitter

stack change
Tokens
been looking forward to this. thanks hache man

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Anthony Parker - G - Cavaliers

Anthony Parker (back) and Joey Graham (quad) both practiced on Tuesday, but both are considered doubtful for Wednesday's game against the Suns.
The last report on Parker had him out for about a week and Graham has reportedly just started running, so they aren't necessarily close to a return this week. Daniel Gibson and Manny Harris will play plenty of minutes against the Suns as it stands right now. Jan. 18 - 8:32 p.m. ET
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Mo Williams - G - Cavaliers

Mo Williams (hip, groin) did not practice on Tuesday and is not expected to play in Wednesday's game against the Suns.
Ramon Sessions should start and get plenty of minutes in what figures to be a high-scoring matchup between two of the league's worst defenses. Jan. 18 - 8:35 p.m. ET
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Michael Beasley - F - Timberwolves

Michael Beasley (ankle) looks like he will play on Wednesday against the Clippers, after returning to action on Monday against the Blazers.
He said his ankle is "still sore, still stiff," but also said that he "can tolerate (the pain)." He had a sub-par outing in his return-game, scoring 12 points with three boards, four assists, and a steal Jan. 18 - 9:20 p.m. ET
Source: Jerry Zgoda on Twitter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bodyhealthtechofficia
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com