NBA News/Injuries/etc. (3/7/11)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
John Wall - G - Wizards

In a recent interview John Wall shared that his body is beginning to learn how to adjust to the wear and tear of the NBA season.
"I think I'm getting my step back a little better than I had before," said Wall. He's had a few ankle and knee injuries that have slowed him down. It's good to hear that he's starting to adjust to the pace of the NBA game. When his engine is going, Wall can be exciting to watch. Mar. 7 - 4:51 p.m. ET
Source: Washington Post

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Channing Frye - F/C - Suns

The Suns have issued a statement declaring that Channing Frye will miss between two and three weeks depending on doctor evaluations.
If Frye misses exactly two weeks, he will return for the final 14 games of the season. For most owners, it's worth waiting for a player as valuable as Frye. Still, the concern is that the damage is to Frye's right (shooting) shoulder. There will likely be an adjustment period upon his return. Mar. 7 - 3:52 p.m. ET
Source: Phoenix Suns on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Tyson Chandler - C - Mavericks

Tyson Chandler has responded well to rehab on his sprained ankle but remains a game-time decision for Monday's game.
The Mavs have a hefty schedule in front of them with five games in seven days. They might opt for giving him another day to rest rather than rushing him back. Check back before tip-off but don't be surprised if he sits. Mar. 7 - 3:45 p.m. ET
Source: Dallas Morning News

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
square_sports.gif
Danilo Gallinari - F - Nuggets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Danilo Gallinari (toe) said he probably will not play in either of the Nuggets' two games this week.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>We were skeptical that Gallinari could actually get back from a fractured toe in seven days and with good reason. Now that he is looking at two full weeks off, conditioning will become a concern. Hold Gallo as the likely starter once healthy, but Wilson Chandler is now staring at 30 minutes.
Mar. 7 - 3:23 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Chris Dempsey on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
David West - F - Hornets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>David West shares that his ankle sprain is not serious but that he is still not playing at 100 percent.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>We don't expect it to hinder him too much and the Hornets will certainly be relying on him with all of the injuries in the lineup. Don't hesitate to start him even if the ankle is bothering him.
Mar. 7 - 3:11 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Hornets247.com</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Steve Nash - G - Suns </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>The Phoenix Suns have disclosed that Steve Nash is playing with a pelvis injury.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Nash shared that the injury is limiting his movement. He's been playing through it so we don't anticipate him taking time off at this point. It my help explain his recent scoring slump. Keep an eye on the situation and hope that it works itself through.
Mar. 7 - 2:34 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Phoenix Suns on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Udonis Haslem - F/C - Heat </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Udonis Haslem participated in shooting drills today and is still on pace for a late March return from foot surgery.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Haslem should get a few weeks of limited minutes leading up to the playoffs just to get readjusted to the speed of the game. From a fantasy standpoint he shouldn't be considered.
Mar. 7 - 2:26 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Tim Reynolds on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Corey Maggette - F - Bucks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Corey Maggette is scheduled for an MRI on his right knee Monday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>This comes out of nowhere but it may explain some of his recent struggles. Still, the Bucks were playing Carlos Delfino and Chris Douglas-Roberts ahead of Maggette most nights anyway. Owners can safely move on.
Mar. 7 - 12:52 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Gery Woelfel on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andrei Kirilenko - F - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Andrei Kirilenko (back) is a game-time decision Monday, but it appears AK47 will play according to beat writer Brian Smith.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
Mar. 7 - 12:15 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Brian Smith on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Gilbert Arenas - G - Magic </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>According to coach Stan Van Gundy, Gilbert Arenas (leg) and Chris Duhon (flu) are both "a little questionable" for Monday's game against the Trail Blazers.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Arenas has been dealing with soreness in his left leg. Add this to his already lengthy list of health issues this season. With Arenas and Duhon both iffy expect to see a lot of Jameer Nelson and possibly Hedo Turkoglu running the point.
Mar. 7 - 12:12 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Dan Savage on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Paul Millsap - F - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Paul Millsap shared that he has been dealing with knee pain all season and that he is unsure if he will play in Monday's game.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>According to Millsap he's tried playing through the pain but it hasn't gone away. He's still a game time decision but by the sound of it he's leaning towards sitting. Look for Derrick Favors to get the start and get plenty of opportunity in his place if Millsap sits.
Mar. 7 - 11:44 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Brian T. Smith on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Tyrus Thomas - F - Bobcats </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Bobcats coach Paul Silas shared that Tyrus Thomas (knee) will be a participant in team practice on Tuesday and could return as early as Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>With Stephen Jackson hurting and Boris Diaw simply awful, the Bobcats are itching to see Thomas back in the lineup. In fact, Silas is even considering replacing Diaw with Thomas in the starting lineup, or at least hasn't ruled it out. If all goes well in Tuesday's practice, look for Thomas on Wednesday.
Mar. 7 - 11:27 a.m. ET
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mike Cranston on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Stephen Jackson - G/F - Bobcats </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Stephen Jackson (hamstring) has declared himself out for Monday's game against the Clippers but is open to returning to the lineup on Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Jackson tried a return too quickly and aggrivated the hamstring so don't be surprised if he sits Wednesday as well. With Gerald Wallace gone and Jackson ailing, the Bobcats are trying to figure out who's going to lead the team offensively. It could be the usual suspects who pick up the slack (Boris Diaw, D.J. Augustin, Gerald Henderson) but don't rule out lesser players like Shaun Livingston, Dominic McGuire, or D.J. White to fill in some of the holes.
Mar. 7 - 11:22 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mike Cranston on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Ronnie Price - G - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Backup guard Ronnie Price (toe) will not be in the lineup for the Utah Jazz on Monday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Price shares that he won't consider a return until he's 100 percent and has no idea how far out that will be. The already thin Jazz lineup will have to rely even more heavily on their remaining healthy players meaning that Raja Bell and C.J. Miles should see extra play.
Mar. 7 - 11:12 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Brian T. Smith on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Mehmet Okur - F/C - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>The Jazz will be very thin in their front court due to injuries to several key players.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>The Jazz have already declared Mehmet Okur, Francisco Elson, and Kyrylo Fesenko out Monday night. Andrea Kirilenko and Paul Millsap remain game time decisions as well. This means that Al Jefferson and Derrick Favors should see extra run.
Mar. 7 - 11:05 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: David Locke on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Glen Davis - F/C - Celtics </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Glen Davis missed his second consecutive game since suffering a strained patella tendon.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>It isn't a major injury but it still gives the team reason not to play him. With all the new pieces in play in the Celtics front court (Nenad Krstic, Troy Murphy), and with the Celtics rolling, the team could decide to give him another game to rest.
Mar. 7 - 9:48 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Boston Globe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy news but good info........

SBT: There's No Crying
Doctor A graciously gave me a weekly column with little to no parameters, and while he'll probably live to regret it, the time has come to unleash it onto the public with a trumpet-laden intro scored by John Tesh. Can't hear the music? Just hum a heroic tune in your head and picture me dodging explosions, saving princesses, and fixing the occasional paper jam as I race to meet the deadline.

The Step-back Three is a place where Aaron Bruski takes a look at three issues in the world of both fantasy and reality basketball. Focusing less on daily events, the idea is to take a step back from the daily whirlwind and try to make sense of things.

1. Playoff Push

I just had my playoff dreams dashed in the fabled 9-cat, head-to-head 30 Deep competition, including fantasy basketball writers from all of the major companies, as my team entered the week with the best record in the league and finished with a big fat loss.

The interesting decision that may have haunted me if a few more things broke my way was whether or not to start D.J. Augustin or Shaun Livingston at PG. First things first, this league is deep, as in 30 teams deep (hence the name), so while we start just six guys -- the bottom of the lineup card is an adventure. I had decided that my opponent, Corey Guerrera of CBS Sports, had me beat in points and rebounds with Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, Brook Lopez, and Wesley Matthews going for him, so I needed to maximize my team's ability to produce across the board. My four must-start players due to positional needs and common sense were Al Horford, Dorell Wright, Gerald Wallace, and Hedo Turkoglu. The three that I had to ponder were D.J. Augustin (PG/SG eligible), Thabo Sefolosha (SG), and Shaun Livingston (PG eligible) for a PG and SG slot.

Depending on your format, you stand a great chance of facing a decision just like this during your playoffs. Focusing on categories other than scoring and rebounding, I had decided that Thabo was my best bet for steals and blocks, and that he wouldn't hurt me anywhere too badly and had a chance to hit a couple of threes. That left me with the decision to go with D.J. Augustin or his backup, Shaun Livingston. The decision boiled down to the tradeoff between Augustin's superior playing time, potential for 3-pointers, and the hope that being on the court more would lead to more steals and blocks. On the flip side, Livingston shoots the ball at a better rate, turns the ball over less because he's on the court less, and on a per-minute basis gets more steals and blocks.

My gut was telling me to go with Livingston, regardless of the playing time discrepancy, but I ended up choosing Augustin because I figured if I couldn't win 3-pointers made that I didn't have a chance. As it turned out, the better play would have been Livingston. Augustin brought only two extra treys and hit just 17-of-44 shots from the field, while Livingston shot a more palatable 12-of-26 FGs on the week. Livingston also handed out two more assists, had one more block, and five less turnovers. The decision to go with Livingston would have brought me a tie in a category instead of a loss, but I still would have had my hat handed to me by the score of 3-5-1.

So as I go about breaking fantasy sports' cardinal sin, which is to talk about one's team anywhere (even on a fantasy sports site), the takeaway here is that now is the time to break out the spreadsheets, honestly assess yours and your opponent's team, and be ready to make the bold call, if necessary. There is this axiom in fantasy sports of 'don't sit your studs,' which frankly to me, is lazy. There is always a correct decision based on the circumstances, and if it means starting your least productive player-to-date, then it's your job to do it.

2. For your perusal

To assist you with all of the matchup and projection work, we've already taken a look at the big four playoff weeks here. Here I'll be taking a look at the last two weeks in particular, as some leagues go right down to those two weeks with a four-team format. And while some trade deadlines haven't passed yet, I'm going to avoid looking at guys that will be starting in most formats. If you have the opportunity to use this list as a tie-breaker in trade decisions for any of your players, you know what to do. And if you're in a league that uses average scores or other format that games played does not matter, than you can skip this section all together.

It's worth noting that the only 2-game weeks for the rest of the year belong to the Nuggets, Nets, and Wizards in this upcoming week, and then the Rockets have one in critical Week 22.

8 Games: Bobcats, Cavs, Nets, Wizards, Celtics, Bulls, Bucks, Thunder, Suns, Kings

This adds value to guys like Boris Diaw, Gerald Henderson, Tyrus Thomas, Baron Davis, Ramon Sessions, Samardo Samuels, Anthony Parker, JaVale McGee, Glen Davis, Carlos Delfino, John Salmons, James Harden, Serge Ibaka, Vince Carter, Mickael Pietrus, Jared Dudley, Jason Thompson, and Samuel Dalembert. A few players could fall in and out of this list, but these are a few names you may want to target in trades, add/drop selections, or in your start/sit decisions.

7 Games: Nuggets, Pistons, Rockets, Lakers, Heat, Magic, Spurs, Raptors, Mavs, Clippers, Sixers, Blazers, Pacers, Knicks

This is the average number of games in the final two weeks, so guys from these squads can be evaluated as you normally would (game-by-game matchups aside).

6 Games: Hornets, Grizzlies, Wolves, Hawks, Jazz, Warriors

Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen and the rest of the Memphis wings, Wesley Johnson, Darko Milicic, Luke Ridnour, Michael Beasley, Jamal Crawford, Kirk Hinrich, Andrei Kirilenko, C.J. Miles, and Ekpe Udoh are the borderline players whose schedule works against them in the final two weeks. Again, looking at borderline guys, this list is comparably short.

<!--RW-->
3. There's no crying in basketball

It's easy to pile on the train-wreck Miami Heat, and I do my fair share of it, so I thought long and hard about whether or not to go there after some of them reportedly cried following their most recent national embarrassment. If I was going to go there, I felt like I owed it to you guys to have a fresh take – something that others haven't said. That last part is hard because the situation is quite clear, as most NBA insiders and fans without a rooting (or financial) interest will agree – it is a failure of leadership on all levels, but mostly a failure of LeBron James. Sure, the Heat have a chance in the playoffs just as all teams do, but they look more like a better-qualified version of the Allen Iverson-Carmelo Anthony Nuggets from a few years back than a championship squad, and nobody in their right mind would pick them over the Celtics, Lakers, or Spurs (to name a few) right now.

And while most of their struggles can be traced back to LeBron James' inability to be coached, his inability to accept responsibility for the sideshow he has put his teammates through, and at the end of the day – his inability to develop a go-to move other than a contested jumper – the media has yet to really lay down the gauntlet for the Heat.

Rather than grab at the low-hanging fruit, I'm going to head into 'don't go there' territory. I'm not going to blame the eight-year old for lighting the drapes on fire when the 18-year old is the one doing the babysitting.

I'm going to blame big brother Dwayne Wade.

Wade knew what he was getting into when he got into the LeBron business, and admittedly, with Wade's championship pedigree beyond reproach in most circles – I have to admit that I've been caught watching the emergency vehicles speed by with sirens screaming toward The Kings' castle.

But why blame Wade? He didn't have a one-hour show to take his talents anywhere. He doesn't have diarrhea of the Twitter account. And after all, who wouldn't have done what he did as long as a plan was in place to deal with all the drama? Wade, along with Heat management and powerbrokers at Creative Artists Agency, brought in two max-contract players and made the Heat instant contenders. Short of the worst PR effort in the history of professional sports, there was nothing wrong with the choice to play together.

What I've had a hard time wrapping my head around, however, has been watching Wade take up for the disgraced deity, James, every time he has a public faux pas. Yes, you take up for your teammates when the going is bad, but you kick their ass in the locker room or tell them where the door is, too. And as every piece of added negative publicity is a distraction unto the team, another layer of pressure for them to deal with, has James offered up an apology to his teammates for that?

I doubt it. After all, the best thing he could do for his 'Q rating' would be to apologize to the city of Cleveland and the fans of the NBA for treating them like two-buck idiots. After all, we're a forgiving bunch (just ask Kobe, Big Ben, and Mike Vick). So it stands to reason that if he can't bring himself to help his career in an immeasurable way, why would anyone believe he's done it behind closed doors? And while James insists that everybody should just move on, and that 'he doesn't want to talk about the past,' where do the Heat think that all of this negative vibe comes from?

Let me guess – we're all out to get them, right?

So if James can't apologize to teammates for the crap he's brought onto them, what else can't he apologize for? What about an ill-conceived, perhaps selfish game-deciding shot? What about a defensive rotation that didn't happen? In the locker room, what about a media leak designed to undermine his head coach? Do they just pretend it didn't happen? What about implicitly and explicitly forbidding his coach to treat everybody equally without superstar favor? What about all the tweets? What about guilt by association? Would 'Like a Bosh' have happened anywhere else other than in LeBron James' Miami?

None of them signed up for this, but it's theirs now. LeBron is their hand-picked leader, while Wade is the one whose hand has a ring.

And therein lays the problem. The Miami Heat can't get down to business when their leaders are infallible and ranked out of order. When Kobe Bryant acts up, Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher are there to call him out. When the Celtics' Big Four aren't on the same page, they have no problem giving each other a piece of their minds.

Not in Miami.

James' inability to be criticized sets the stage for the rationalization that ultimately destroys them. That contradiction plays itself out every night for all of us to see. If defense is about trust, the Heat have none. If taking the last shot is an exercise in who is open for the Celtics and Spurs, for the Heat it is an exercise in ego. If Wade takes it, LeBron has been marginalized, and a marginalized LeBron starts to miss free throws and take ill-advised jumpers.

If LeBron takes it, he misses, and like the pink goo from Ghostbusters 2 the spectacle grows.

Can Pat Riley tell LeBron to get with the program? Probably, but how much does he lose by clashing with the NBA's preeminent power brokers, and will owner Mickey Arison sign off on that? Can Spo' tell LeBron to get on the line for suicides when he preens in practice, or refuses to set screens off the ball? C'mon, man. Chris Bosh has a better chance of being invited to James' next big party than Spo does of laying the hammer down.

And that leaves Wade.

He can slap the crown off James' head and leave an indelible mark should he choose, because he has the ring. He is also the better basketball player, has more experience, and is the mayor of Wade County for crying out loud. James can't send his cronies after Wade to do his bidding, he can't smear Wade in the media, he can't leverage him, and James can't ignore Wade if he tells him that 'now is the time to do the right thing.' There is a pecking order in this league, and right now LeBron James would lose that fight.

So while LeBron apologized to "his team" for "failing them" at the end of games, he still won't acknowledge why we're talking about them, the way that we're talking about them. The bottom line is that all the negative attention has brought them down, distracted them, and emboldened the rest of the league much like the PGA Tour took notice when Tiger was declawed.

Wade is the only one with the power to say, 'this ends now.' Hanging in the balance is a season filled with each of their hopes, dreams, efforts, and futures to boot. Whether or not he decides he wants to exercise that political capital for the good of them all remains to be seen. And while we all take aim at the witless child without any guidance, who doesn't have anybody there to hold him responsible for his mistakes – or to remind him that a real man apologizes for what he does – there is another, more responsible party for the Miami Heat. And until Dwyane Wade stands up and demands an end to all this nonsense, I'm going to assume that his last stand was in 2006.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Adding Injury To Insult
I could tell you about some Heat players crying in the locker room after choking against the Bulls. LeBron James missed a layup and Dwyane Wade a jumper at the buzzer as the Heat lost for the fourth straight time. Yes, the sky appears to be falling in Miami, but if you think for a second that they're not the best team in the East, you're probably wrong. And as far as coach Erik Spoelstra announcing to the world that guys were crying? I don't care, nor do I think it matters. They will turn it on again soon and will probably be in the Finals, although it is kind of fun seeing LeBron and his Super Friends unable to win a close game at the buzzer.

I could also tell you about the Lakers domination over the Spurs, Andre Iguodala's second straight triple-double, or that Derrick Rose looks like the MVP. But that stuff isn't going to help you win your fantasy league, which might be starting the playoffs tonight. So let's check reality at the door and get to the stuff you need to know.

Games Played

The Nets, Nuggets and Wizards all have just two games this week. The Raptors, Spurs, Suns, Pistons, Hornets, Lakers, Grizzlies, Heat, Rockets, Cavaliers, Hawks and Celtics all play three games, while everyone else plays four times this week.

Down Goes CP3

Chris Paul was already struggling for his fantasy owners, landing him on the cover of a Daily Dose five days ago as we wondered what exactly his problem was. The he goes and rams his head into the chest of a defender and suffers a concussion, leaving his week in jeopardy. Really, we're lucky he didn't hurt his neck too, as the way he was injured looked very similar to what knocked Marquis Daniels out for a month. All we really know about Paul is that he's out on Monday, turning a three-game week into a two-game week (or possibly a zero-game week). I don't know how else to say it, but I just don't see any way you can start him this week unless we get some really positive news this afternoon. And yes, that means Jarrett Jack is starting tonight and is now a must-own player in all fantasy leagues.

Suspended Reality

Dwight Howard has been suspended for tonight's game after picking up his 16th technical foul of the season, and he'll be suspended again if he gets two more of them. That turns his four-game week into a three-gamer, meaning he still deserves to be in most lineups. Ryan Anderson will start alongside Brandon Bass tonight.

Captain Jack Out

Stephen Jackson has been ruled out for Monday with his hamstring injury, but it's possible he'll try to play on Wednesday. There are no big winners to fill in for him, but Dominic McGuire (who is starting and gets to guard Blake Griffin tonight) and Gerald Henderson should at least be relevant in his absence. Jackson is also due for a suspension after one more tech. And on a side note, center Kwame Brown will continue to start over Joel Pryzbilla, but neither is a thrilling option at center.

Tyrus Full Of Good News

Tyrus Thomas (knee) could play as early as Wednesday if Tuesday's practice goes well, but there's even better news. Coach Paul Silas slammed Boris Diaw today and then followed it up by saying he hasn't ruled out starting Thomas over Diaw once he's healthy and ready to go. Diaw seems to not care, or has just given up, and Thomas would love to start. While I trust Ty Thomas no farther than I can throw him, I'm picking him up with this news.

Gordon's Wrist

Eric Gordon's wrist is jacked up again and he's now the dreaded "out indefinitely." We're hearing at least seven to 10 days, meaning Randy Foye should be in lineups this week. Yes, Eric Bledsoe is worth a look after his monster line on Saturday, when he had 20 points and seven steals, but keep in mind he hardly ever lived up to the hype this season when Baron Davis was out for much of the season. It was all Foye, all the time.

Billups Sounds Like A Go

Chauncey Billups is expected to play for the Knicks on Monday night when they face the Jazz. He nearly played on Sunday, but the Knicks wanted to give him an extra day of rest. If I owned Billups I'd probably be starting him, and would also keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't aggravate the injury this week. He should play four times this week, but watch Rotoworld this afternoon to make sure he makes it through shootaround in one piece.

AK-47 In, Millsap Out?

Andrei Kirilenko appears to be planning to play against the Knicks tonight according to beat writer Brian T. Smith, but is officially listed as a game-time decision due to a back injury. I own AK-47 in one league, but can only start two forwards. And since I have Kevin Durant, Kevin Love and Josh Smith, I don't have to make a tough decision on Kirilenko. He's been a guy who has burned me with injuries when I've started him in the past, so weigh your options carefully if you're thinking about using him. But as of now, it sounds like he's planning on playing. The Jazz play four times this week.

Paul Millsap is reportedly leaning toward not playing tonight against the Knicks due to a knee injury. He's been playing through injuries all season and is an iron man, so the fact he's leaning toward not going in this one tells you he's really hurting. He could still play three or even four games this week, but I'm going to bench him where I own him.

Smoove Move

Josh Smith returned for Atlanta on Sunday and had a double-double despite a sore knee. The Hawks only play three games this week, making Smoove playable, but not a must-starter in fantasy leagues. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to start him this week for the playoffs in League Freak, with my other options including Francisco Garcia, D.J. Augustin and Kirilenko.
<!--RW-->
Injury Roundup – The Rest

Arron Afflalo sounds very likely to play on Thursday against the Suns, but you read that right. The Nuggets don't play until Thursday and have just two games this week. I cut Afflalo awhile back and haven't regretted it yet, as things are very crowded in Denver. But if you own him, he should have time to fully heal this week.

Channing Frye suffered a dislocated shoulder and will have an MRI today. That's all we really know at this point, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't miss at least a week of action. This is a tough break for the Suns and Frye's owners, but I say you get him benched unless we get good news later in the day.

Rudy Gay sounds like he's still at least a week or two away from returning from his shoulder injury, while there are no guarantees he comes back at all this season. Keep him benched, and if you already cut him, so far, so good.

Tyson Chandler's ankle injury will be re-evaluated on Monday after he sat out the last two games with it. If he somehow misses more games, Brendan Haywood is going to be a solid start this week, but at this point, neither player should probably be in your lineup until we know more. The Dallas writers are good about getting injury information out there when they've got it, but Rick Carlisle is not. Hopefully he plays along this week and let's us know what Chandler's status is, but I'm not holding my breath. Even though I'm sure he couldn't care less, Carlisle has always been one of those guys who seems to hate all fantasy basketball owners. The good news is that the Mavs play tonight at Minnesota, so they will have to give us an answer at some point.

Andrew Bogut missed another game with his ribcage injury, and is hoping to return on Tuesday or Wednesday. The guy has been banged up all season and remains a top shutdown candidate. I have no feel for when he'll play next and owners shouldn't hold their breath waiting for news out of Milwaukee, as it is shaky, as you know. If I owned him, I'd bench Bogut for now, while giving a serious look to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, who had a big game last night, as well as Larry Sanders. Mbah a Moute will start at PF on Tuesday over Jon Brockman (and the concussed Ersan Ilyasova), while Sanders has been starting at center for Bogut. Milwaukee plays four games this week.

Corey Maggette will have an MRI on his right knee today, which sounds to me like it could be an early "shutdown" warning. He's been in and out of Scott Skiles' lineup and rotation and would probably be happier on his couch. This should be good news for Carlos Delfino in the end.

Trevor Ariza was out on Sunday with a groin/hip injury and remains day-to-day. Sadly, that's all I know at this point, but we should have an update coming soon as the Hornets are at Chicago tonight. The Hornets have just three games this week, despite playing on Monday, so Ariza is a prime bench candidate due to his injury.

Rashard Lewis sat out on Sunday due to his lingering knee problem and it feels like just a matter of time before he's ruled out for the rest of the season due to knee surgery. In fact, as bad as he's struggled it just makes no sense for him to even be trying to play. Josh Howard was also out with a hamstring injury, and is a player I will never trust to stay healthy. He just can't do it. Maurice Evans started in their place on Sunday and could continue to do so, but these are three players you simply want to try to avoid if you can.

Hedo Turkoglu was playing through an elbow injury on Friday when he hit just 1-of-5 shots for two points. He sure looked good early on when he arrived in Orlando, but he has not been pleasant to own for the most part. We should have more information on his plans for tonight, but he's far from a must-start player right now – especially injured.

Danilo Gallinari is hoping to return on Thursday from his broken toe. If he does, Wilson Chandler would likely head back to the bench.

Wes Johnson returned to practice on Sunday after a stomach illness and is expected to play Monday against Dallas. He was a surprise scratch on Saturday, but can be put back into fantasy lineups with four games this week. Darko Milicic also returned to practice after the birth of his son and should play on Monday. I'm hoping the days off and emotional experience he just went through will have him playing with a sense of purpose and energy going forward. Yeah, I know – I'm asking for a lot.

Omri Casspi is dealing with a back injury and missed Saturday's game. We don't have any new updates on his status, but should know more this afternoon. He's not exactly a fantasy juggernaut anyway, but I do think I'll start Francisco Garcia in a couple leagues this week. Tyreke Evans remains out with his foot injury and there's still no word on when or if he'll return. He's not close and if you cut him, so far, so good.

Shaquille O'Neal's right foot has flared up and he remains out indefinitely. This just means more Nenad Krstic, as well as more minutes for Troy Murphy, who hasn't done much of anything in Boston yet. Glen Davis has missed a couple games with knee soreness, which has been a nice break for Jeff Green owners, but it sounds like the injury isn't serious. Consider Davis day-to-day, and don't put him in your starting lineup this week if you've got some other options.

Daniel Gibson missed Sunday's game with his quad injury, but it sounds like there's a decent chance he'll play on Tuesday against the Warriors. He's been a disaster all season and has done a lot more damage to fantasy teams than anything else. I'd leave him alone if you can.

Tracy McGrady still isn't playing for the Pistons and isn't thrilled about it. He said on Monday that how he's being treated right now will impact what he does next season, but it may not matter if John Kuester is finally fired after the season. T-Mac was a fantasy savior for a few weeks this season, but is useless now that he's in the doghouse. Hold onto him if you want, but it's probably time to let go.

Tokens
Knicks Chauncey Billups downgraded to out Mon 3/7 vs Jazz with quad injury

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selectionpartners
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com