NBA News/Injuries/etc. (3/8/11)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Kevin Love - F/C - Timberwolves

Kevin Love missed Tuesday's practice and had an MRI due swelling in his left knee.
It's being called a left knee contusion and we should know the results on Wednesday. Obviously owners have to hold their collective breath until we get the results, but given the fact his double-double streak is on the line, he should try to play as long as the injury isn't serious. This is all we know, but we'll update his status as soon as we get more information. Anthony Randolph was out with the flu today, but would obviously see a big boost if Love's injury turns out to be serious. Mar. 8 - 3:10 p.m. ET
Source: Kent Youngblood on Twitter

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
square_sports.gif
Von Wafer - G - Celtics </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Coach Doc Rivers said that Von Wafer (calf) will be out for a while.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Newly acquired Carlos Arroyo is set to pick up some backup guard minutes for the banged up Celtics.
Mar. 8 - 1:58 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Chris Forsberg on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Glen Davis - F/C - Celtics </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Coach Doc Rivers said that Glen Davis (knee) is likely out for the next two games.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Davis won't play against the Clippers Wednesday or the Sixers Friday as the Celtics exercise extreme caution. They are fully focused on the playoffs now and giving Big Baby some time off is fine by them even though Jeff Green and Troy Murphy have combined to ineffectively fill Davis' bench role.
Mar. 8 - 1:54 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Chris Forsberg on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Chauncey Billups - G - Knicks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Chauncey Billups (thigh) missed Knicks practice Tuesday and is listed as questionable for Wednesday's game against the Grizzlies.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Billups has missed four straight games, with Toney Douglas averaging 16.2 points, 5.7 assists and 2.7 treys while leading the Knicks to a 3-1 record. They certainly won't rush Billups back. Look for this to come down to a game-time decision once again.
Mar. 8 - 1:46 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: ESPN.com</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Stephen Jackson - G/F - Bobcats </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Updating a previous item, Stephen Jackson (hamstring) will play on Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Just as we suspected. Jackson sat out Tuesday's workout as a mere precaution but is going to fight through his strain tomorrow. We would expect nothing less from the noted tough guy. S-Jax will be at less than 100 percent
Mar. 8 - 1:26 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mike Cranston on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Tyrus Thomas - F - Bobcats </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Tyrus Thomas (knee) and Stephen Jackson (hamstring) will both play against the Bulls Wednesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Thomas practiced with full contact on Tuesday and came out of the workout fine. He is set for his first game since Jan. 18. The highly athletic power forward will almost certainly come off the bench behind Boris Diaw, but has the potential to quickly ramp up to 25-27 minutes. With Gerald Wallace gone, the Bobcats are desperate for energy players. Thomas' elite block and steal rate make him worth an add in medium-to-deep formats -- especially considering that Diaw was on thin ice prior to last night's explosion.
Mar. 8 - 1:20 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Mike Cranston on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Jordan Farmar - G - Nets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Jordan Farmar will start at least the next two games in place of Deron Williams (personal).</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Williams' wife isn't even in labor just yet, so Farmar could end up starting more games. In five starts this season, Farmar is averaging 16.4 points, 7.4 assists and 1.6 treys per game.
Mar. 8 - 12:57 p.m. ET</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Deron Williams - G - Nets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Deron Williams will miss the Nets' next two games because his wife is almost in labor.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Before owners jump off a bridge, this can be viewed as a good thing. Williams will be away from the team until at least Saturday, giving his inured wrists plenty of time to heal. This break could very well allow Williams to finish out the season reasonably healthy.
Mar. 8 - 12:51 p.m. ET
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Stefan Bondy on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Anthony Morrow - G/F - Nets </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Anthony Morrow (head) returned to Nets practice Tuesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Morrow banged his head during Friday's game in London and missed the Saturday game. That allowed Sasha Vujacic to absolutely go off in the triple overtime win. Still, Morrow is the better player and coach Avery Johnson has said he prefers to start Morrow. He's a "wait and see" kind of add with 3-point upside.
Mar. 8 - 12:41 p.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Nets on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Daniel Gibson - G - Cavaliers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Daniel Gibson (quad) is listed as probable for Tuesday's game against the Warriors.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Gibson will come off the bench and his role is uncertain. He is clearly one of the better players on this D-League roster, but his constant injury woes have made him unreliable.
Mar. 8 - 11:26 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Waiting for Next Year on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andrew Bogut - C - Bucks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Andrew Bogut (left ribcage) will play against the Wizards Tuesday.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Bogut will start tonight, sending Larry Sanders back to the bench. The Australian big man has a history of playing big minutes in his first game back from injury, so we'd expect something around 35-37 tonight.
Mar. 8 - 11:17 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Charles Gardner on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Paul Millsap - F - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Paul Millsap (knee) has been listed as a game-time decision for Wednesday's game against the Raptors.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Millsap tried to gut it out on Monday night, but was clearly ineffective at far less than 100 percent. He said after the game that he just couldn't get the knee loose. As one of the game's ultimate warriors, we'd expect Millsap to give it a shot Wednesday. But owners may actually want him to take a couple days off and get his knee right. If the Sapper can't go, rookie Derrick Favors would likely start.
Mar. 8 - 10:22 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Brian Smith on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Andrei Kirilenko - F - Jazz </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Andrei Kirilenko (back spasms) is listed as doubtful and Paul Millsap (knee) is listed as a game-time decision for Wednesday's game against the Raptors.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>No surprise here. Kirilenko is one of the softer players in the league and is unlikely to fight through his injury. Millsap is one of the toughest around and we're guessing he gives it a go -- even if he is extremely limited. Sharpshooter C.J. Miles would start at small forward if Kirilenko does sit out.
Mar. 8 - 10:17 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Brian Smith on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Corey Maggette - F - Bucks </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Corey Maggette (knee) did not travel with the Bucks for Tuesday's game against the Wizards.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>The results of Maggette's Monday MRI are not yet known, but he was falling out of the rotation anyway.
Mar. 8 - 10:06 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Gery Woelfel on Twitter</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
square_sports.gif
Eric Gordon - G - Clippers </TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Coach Vinny Del Negro said that Eric Gordon will likely miss the Clippers' entire five-game road trip.</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Gordon is not traveling with the team and is not expected to join them at any point. The first game of the trip was last night and it the Clippers still have four more games to go before returning home on March 16. Note that Gordon is not a lock to return at that point -- he will just be re-evaluated then. Considering it's Gordon's shooting wrist, we're very concerned.
Mar. 8 - 9:41 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: ESPN Los Angeles</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy related but good info......

To Sir With Love
Diary Of A Mad Man

I love my job and I love being able to work from my home, but sometimes it is not easy. First of all, I truly live on a vampire's schedule, rarely going to bed before 5 a.m., while still getting up at a reasonable hour and writing the Daily Dose. I have a 3-year-old at home with me all day, and when you combine his constant chatter along with the fact that I don't really wake up and move at full speed until around the time you're eating dinner, things can get a little dicey in my mind. Which is probably why I spent about an hour of my life Monday morning believing that Danilo Gallinari still played for the Knicks. I screwed up his schedule yesterday and didn't catch it until I had left the house. Not many things are more annoying and embarrassing to me than having glaring errors like that in a column. Anyway, I'm renewing my focus on accuracy so we'll see how this goes. Then again, I'm writing this at a Chick-fil-A and listening to their Christian rock station, which probably isn't going to help.

My decision-making skills were also a little shaky on Monday, as I spent most of the afternoon trying to decide which player I wanted to ruin my week: Andrei Kirilenko, Josh Smith, Francisco Garcia or Ryan Anderson. I am easily going to win points, boards and blocks in my matchup, so I didn't feel like I really had any use for Smith, his gimpy knee and three-game schedule. Garcia was great on Saturday, and is the guy Casey (my wife) told me to play, but I just don't trust him coming off the bench. Anderson was due for a good line on Monday, but will return to the bench now that Dwight Howard's one-game technical foul suspension is over. So once the report came through from Brian T. Smith that Kirilenko was not only warming up despite a bad back, but he "looked good" doing so, I took the bait and started Kirilenko. You know the rest, right? His back seized up, he left the game after 11 minutes, and with my luck, he'll miss the rest of the week (he's already doubtful for Wednesday). I'm going against scrubs like Matt Bonner and Evan Turner, so I will hopefully survive, but it is frustrating. Hopefully you used better judgment than I did if you own him.

And the moral of this story? Always listen to your wife. Garcia started for the Kings and scored 11 points with a steal and a block. And he's going to play three more games this week, unlike Kirilenko.

Monday Night Lights

Kevin Love had 23 points, 17 rebounds, five assists, four 3-pointers, a steal and a block last night for his 51st consecutive double-double, tying Moses Malone for the longest streak in the last 35 years. He's been a fantasy savior for many owners this year, as well as one of the most fun players to own in the league.

Boris Diaw, who drew some pretty harsh criticism from Paul Silas (and us) Monday, heard the message and blew up for 19 points, eight rebounds, eight assists, two threes and a steal. If he was dropped in your league, he's probably worth a flier to see if this is going to last, while that could also be bad news for the owners of Tyrus Thomas, who is expected to play on Wednesday. Gerald Henderson played well with Stephen Jackson out, scoring 20 points with two steals and a block. Jackson would like to play on Wednesday despite his hamstring injury, but he's not a lock for that one, by any stretch. Consider him a game-time decision for now. Dominic McGuire was a popular pick in fantasy leagues this week starting for Jackson, but he had just two points on 1-of-4 shooting last night. Henderson is a much safer bet.

Kyle Lowry is officially my pick for the waiver-wire pickup of the year after last night's 19 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and four 3-pointers. What looked like a short-term fill-in for Aaron Brooks has turned out to be one of the best fantasy point guards around, and he's showing no signs of slowing down.

Chase Budinger had 20 points on 6-of-10 shooting last night, draining four 3-pointers and adding five boards, two assists, two steals and two blocks in a win over the Kings. Courtney Lee also had a big night with 19 points and a couple blocks, but I'm still a Budinger guy. Sadly, with a slump and a three-game week, both players were likely on the bench in many leagues.

Marcus Camby failed to score last night, but did have 10 boards and two steals. His numbers have not been great since he returned from a knee injury and his lack of offense is disturbing. Guster's drummer, Brian, is ready to cut him, and I really can't blame him. Dropping Camby for Favors? It could pay off.

DeAndre Jordan bottomed out last night as signs continue to point to Chris Kaman replacing him in the starting five at some point. Jordan, who was benched after picking up a tech, had zero points, two rebounds and zero blocks last night, while Kaman finished with 16 points, 10 boards and a block, and I'm actually surprised Vinny Del Negro hasn't yet made the switch.

Shane Battier played better last night, finishing with seven points, seven rebounds and two blocks, and it may only be a matter of time before he deserves a close look from fantasy owners. Tony Allen started and had 20 points and six boards, but is a pretty inconsistent fantasy performer.

Shelden Williams somehow had 13 points, five boards, six assists, a steal and a block for the Knicks last night, but don't take the bait. Ronny Turiaf and Bill Walker were out and the game was a blowout. Put the Landlord on your radar, but don't pick him up yet.

Injury Roundup

Eric Gordon is going to miss the team's five-game road trip, which means he's out for at least four more games after aggravating his wrist injury. Randy Foye started in his place and scored 10 points, while Eric Bledsoe came off the bench for 13 points on 5-of-8 shooting, along with four rebounds and four assists. Forget about Gordon until we get an actual target date for his return, although it doesn't sound like his season is in jeopardy, at least for now. I like Foye a lot more than Bledsoe, although Bledsoe was the better player on Tuesday.

Paul Millsap tried to play through his sore knee last night, but was completely ineffective and said he couldn't get his knee loose. He's going to probably try it again on Wednesday, but it would have made sense for him to take the night off on Monday and try to get healthy. Al Jefferson had a season-high 36 points to go along with 12 rebounds, mainly due to the loss of Kirilenko, as well as Millsap being so limited. Jefferson's been solid all season, but blocked just one shot last night. Derrick Favors enjoyed his best line of the season for the same reasons, finishing with 16 points and eight boards in 25 minutes. With Millsap and AK-47 both hurting right now, Favors looks like a very sneaky pick-and-play.

Chris Paul's concussion will leave him day-to-day and the Hornets have decided to call up Jerel McNeal from the D-League, which probably means they're concerned about Paul missing a few games. Jarrett Jack had 23 points, a 3-pointer, four boards, three assists and two steals in a start for Paul last night, and remains a must-own player until Paul is back in action.

Chauncey Billups didn't play on Monday and Mike D'Antoni says he won't play until he's pain free. D'Antoni also juked us into thinking Billups would play last night, but he needs to be benched until further notice. He's missed four games and appears to be on the verge of a return, but we just don't know what the Knicks are thinking. Toney Douglas started in his place and hit 6-of-9 shots and five treys for 20 points and six assists. While he's not trustworthy when Billups is in uniform, he's nearly a must-own player with Billups in street clothes.

Luis Scola was dealing with one knee injury on Monday and then suffered another one during the game. He left early after hurting his left knee and sounds like a game-time decision for tonight. He's never missed an NBA game, but it sounds like this injury might do the trick.

Channing Frye is expected to miss two to three weeks with a dislocated shoulder. It sounds like more evaluation is coming so I'm expecting a new timetable once more test results come in. I guess Hakim Warrick is the guy who will be the direct beneficiary of the injury, and will start in place of Frye, while Jared Dudley should also see a boost.

Danilo Gallinari, who plays for the Nuggets, doesn't sound likely to play at all this week as he recovers from a broken toe, so just keep him benched until further notice, and look for Wilson Chandler, J.R. Smith and Arron Afflalo to see a boost. The Nuggets on play twice, and are off until Thursday.

Tyson Chandler was out with his sprained ankle last night, but is planning on playing Wednesday. Brendan Haywood had eight points, 10 boards and a block in the start for the Mavs.

Trevor Ariza is out indefinitely with a groin injury. Quincy Pondexter is starting for the Hornets, while Willie Green should also start playing better again with Ariza out. If I owned Ariza, I'd probably drop him, as this could linger the rest of the season.

DeMarcus Cousins hurt his ankle late on Monday night, although it doesn't sound like a big deal. Just keep an eye out for more news if you own him, but keep him in your lineup.

Darko Milicic returned from a personal leave but then left early with a knee injury. He simply can't get it going or stay healthy, as the word 'soft' comes to mind. He played 19 minutes with six points, four boards a steal and a block. As someone who has him in a couple lineups, I am hoping he doesn't miss any more games. Wes Johnson returned from his stomach illness, but played just 14 minutes and didn't do much. We're not sure what the deal was with the limited minutes, but hopefully it was a fluke. I expect him to bounce back in the next one.

Andrew Bogut is expected to play through a ribcage injury tonight and will be in the starting lineup. Get him back in yours if you own him, and bench Larry Sanders if you picked him up. Corey Maggette is out indefinitely with a knee injury and this might be just the excuse he needed to shut it down for the year. Ersan Ilyasova will miss yet another game with his concussion.

Ramon Sessions will start over Baron Davis again on Tuesday for the Cavs, but this might be the last time that happens – at least until Baron goes down with another injury. Daniel Gibson is expected to return to action tonight from his quad injury, but I no longer trust him, at all.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Fantasy related but good info....

Sneaky Samardo Samuels
The unknown is almost always more exciting than the recycled. If Shawn Marion was suddenly the starting power forward for the Cavs, no one would give it much thought. But since Samardo Samuels is such a mystery, it's riveting. I mean, the big clumps of hair on my neck/upper back are tingling as we speak.

So who is Samardo Samuels? The Jamaican-born wide body was among the best high school players in the country in 2008. He was solid, but not spectacular, for two seasons at Louisville. Then he inexplicably went undrafted on draft day last April. Now, he is one of the hottest adds in fantasy basketball.

Coaches are constantly tinkering, toying and yanking around with rotations. Sometimes it has to do with injuries, like in Samuels' case. In other instances, it's a result of ineffective play from a certain player. The effect this has on minutes played and thus statistical production is where we come in.

Each week in this space, I'll explore the rotations of half the league's teams while attempting to get inside coaches' heads. The idea is not to tell you what Kevin Durant and LeBron James are going to do --- it's to decipher how much production we can get out of fringe players. Last week, I hit rotations impacted by the trade deadline. This week, we explore the East and start in Cleveland:

* Note that the lineups listed reflect the starters in the team's previous game. Stats are through Monday's games.

<BIG>CLEVELAND</BIG>
PG Ramon Sessions
SG Anthony Parker
SF Alonzo Gee
PF Samardo Samuels
C J.J. Hickson

The first major story here is Samardo Samuels, who will start at power forward for the rest of the year in place of Antawn Jamison (finger). Considering he is a raw undrafted free agent, Samuels' first three starts can be viewed as nothing short of a major success: 16.3 points, 8.0 rebounds, 1.0 blocks, 52.8 percent from field.

Those rebound and block numbers are sustainable thanks to the 30-32 minutes Samuels will play nightly. I am skeptical about the points as teams get a scouting report on him, but a regression there is not my biggest concern. Free-throw shooting is. Samuels has taken 22 free throws in these three starts, and made just 11.

For a player that plays down low and goes to the line so often, that Shaq-like rate can kill a fantasy team. There is some hope as Samuels shot 66.7 percent from the line as a freshman at Louisville and 70.6 as a sophomore. Bottom line: He is worth an add in most formats if you can handle the free-throw shooting. With starter's minutes on a team devoid of talent, Samuels will produce. Think of him as an extremely poor man's Paul Millsap.

The other big story out of Cleveland is the arrival of Baron Davis. Coach Byron Scott is already on the record saying Davis will eventually start over Ramon Sessions, but that it won't happen tonight. For now, there is still value in owning both as they both figure to play around 30 minutes. Eventually, Davis will become the preferred play by a significant margin.

<BIG>ATLANTA</BIG>
PG Kirk Hinrich
SG Joe Johnson
SF Marvin Williams
PF Josh Smith
C Al Horford

Kirk Hinrich is a great fit in Atlanta. He is an excellent 3-point shooter just like Mike Bibby, but can actually play defense. Hinrich will play 32-35 minutes a night the rest of the way as a very nice fantasy option. For his career, Hinrich makes 1.6 treys and gets 1.3 steals per 36 minutes. Buy up.

Marvin Williams is back in the starting five and doing his mediocre thing. Anyone expecting a breakout is not watching close enough -- his averages of 10.6 points and 5.1 boards while playing 31 minutes a night in 39 starts this season is what it is.

Jamal Crawford just can't seem to find that trademark tear that he almost always goes on. I still think it will come at some point. Crawford's minutes have been consistent, but he is shooting 38.2 percent from the field over his last 10 games. He'll balance that out with a 45 percent 10 game stretch at some point and be well worth starting.

<BIG>BOSTON</BIG>
PG Rajon Rondo
SG Ray Allen
SF Paul Pierce
PF Kevin Garnett
C Nenad Krstic

Even with Shaquille O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal, Glen Davis and Delonte West all sidelined, Jeff Green and Troy Murphy are non-factors. That won't change unless one of the Big Four here suffer an injury and The reason is that coach Doc Rivers is not crazy enough to play Kevin Garnett or Murphy at center for long stretches.

Therefore, Nenad Krstic is going to play more minutes than the more talented Green and Murphy. His 12.2 points and 4.8 rebounds in 25.5 minutes with no blocks or steals upside is a reasonable expectation until Shaq gets back.

Is Rajon Rondo getting worn down? Maybe. In seven games since the All-Star break, Rondo is playing 39.2 minutes per night and the offense runs through him in every one of those minutes. Still, owners should not really be concerned. The Celtics are battling for home-court throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs and Rondo is just 25-years-old. No reason to worry.

Editor's Note: Draft a hoops team just for tonight and win real cash in SnapDraft!

<BIG>CHARLOTTE</BIG>
PG D.J. Augustin
SG Gerald Henderson
SF Dominic McGuire
PF Boris Diaw
C Kwame Brown

Tyrus Thomas (knee) will make his return Wednesday. Although coach Paul Silas said that Boris Diaw could be removed from the starting lineup, it's hard to really see that happening. Diaw showed his upside Monday night and Thomas fits perfectly as an energy guy with the second unit.

I expect Thomas to ramp up to 25-27 minutes off the bench quickly, making him well worth an add. As I mentioned in Friday's Dose, Thomas blocks 2.7 shots per 36 minutes this season. With Gerald Wallace gone and Kwame Brown struggling, there is plenty of room in the rotation for Tyrus. As coach Paul Silas said: "He's very talented and that's what we need. We need talent."

Stephen Jackson (hamstring) is not going to shut it down no matter what the Bobcats say. He is simply too tough and proud. Look for a full complement of minutes out of Captain Jack Wednesday, sending Dominic McGuire's unfriendly fantasy game back to the bench.

Gerald Henderson is locked in to 32-24 minutes nightly as a building block of the future. His inability to make treys is a real downer, but he is an ideal bottom of roster guy in fantasy. You know he is going to get minutes and shots.

Even though Joel Przybilla started the second half two games ago, Kwame Brown is still the starter. But he just is not playing well enough to be used. In his last 10 games: Brown is averaging 6.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 0.5 blocks in 25.0 minutes.

Editor's Note: For weekly projections, daily pickup advice, exclusive columns and much more, check out Rotoworld's Season Pass!

<!--RW-->

<BIG>CHICAGO</BIG>
PG Derrick Rose
SG Keith Bogans
SF Luol Deng
PF Carlos Boozer
C Joakim Noah

The Bulls wisely decided against a major trade that would have brought in an upgrade at shooting guard -- they are good enough to win it all as constructed. Therefore, this rotation is locked in.

The "Big Four" are all going to play 35+ minutes nightly and the shooting guard spot will be a three-headed monster/fantasy wasteland. Note that Joakim Noah is still working his way back into form. In eight games since returning from that broken thumb: 9.1 points, 11.5 rebounds, 1.1 blocks. Those numbers are sure to rise.

<BIG>DETROIT</BIG>
PG Rodney Stuckey
SG Ben Gordon
SF Tayshaun Prince
PF Chris Wilcox
C Greg Monroe

The failed mutiny on coach John Kuester has proven to be huge for Rodney Stuckey and Greg Monroe. Now that Tracy McGrady has been banished to the doghouse with no sign of return, Stuckey is playing at a level we have not seen out of him. Over his last five games, Stuckey is averaging 20.8 points, 6.8 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game. Now looking like the Pistons' point guard of the future, he's locked into 36-38 minutes nightly while McGrady is probably done in Detroit -- this season and beyond.

Ben Wallace (personal) is coming back and will likely start over Chris Wilcox, but Greg Monroe's minutes won't be affected. The rookie wisely stayed above the fray in the anti-Kuester campaign and is proving to be a fantasy monster. Over the last 10 games, Monroe is averaging 9.0 rebounds, 1.1 blocks and 1.1 steals. The 13.6 points on 59.2 percent shooting are just a bonus.

The Pistons' treatment of Austin Daye is frustrating, but somewhat understandable. Tayshaun Prince has played well enough and has done enough in his career to be locked into the starting gig and 30-plus minutes anytime he is healthy. Owners can simply move on from Daye and add Prince as a low-end option.

<BIG>INDIANA</BIG>
PG Darren Collison
SG Brandon Rush
SF Danny Granger
PF Josh McRoberts
C Roy Hibbert

A few weeks back when I was recommending not to add Paul George, I noted that I didn't think the rookie would start even if Mike Dunleavy got hurt. A week later, Dunleavy did get hurt. Voo Doo powers.

Anyway, Brandon Rush has started seven games but has not attempted more than nine shots in any of those games. The offense now runs through Roy Hibbert, not the wings like it did under Jim O'Brien. So we can comfortably ignore the timeshare that is George/Rush.

The Tyler Hansbrough vs. Josh McRoberts battle is more interesting. Hansbrough's per-36 minute numbers are pretty striking: 17.3 points, 9.1 rebounds. The problem, however, is twofold. Hansbrough only plays 24-26 minutes per game as a reserve and he does not block, steal, pass or shoot a good percentage. Leave both him and McBob alone.

Perhaps it was not Jim O'Brien that was holding Darren Collison back after all. Maybe he just is not that good. Over his last 10 games, Collison is averaging just 10.5 points and 4.4 assists while shooting 36.4 percent from the field. His playing time is getting slashed because he is not performing. I'd expect a small uptick over the final month, but nothing great.

<BIG>MIAMI</BIG>
PG Mario Chalmers
SG Dwyane Wade
SF LeBron James
PF Chris Bosh
C Erick Dampier
www.miamiheat.ws
Much like an unaware fantasy owner, the Heat are finding out that the acquisition of Mike Bibby is not all that exciting. As one of the worst defenders in the league, coaches have a hard time using him. And he can no longer beat anyone off the dribble. Bibby may eventually start over Mario Chalmers and push for 25 minutes, but they will be empty. Move on.

<BIG>MILWAUKEE</BIG>
PG Brandon Jennings
SG John Salmons
SF Carlos Delfino
PF Jon Brockman
C Larry Sanders

Injuries to both Andrew Bogut (ribcage) and Ersan Ilysaova (concussion) have turned this front line into a mess. While Bogut will play Tuesday, Ilyasova's head injury is showing signs of being serious. Enter Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

Mbah a Moute is expected to start the Bucks' next game at power forward and could very well hold the job the rest of the year. As a starter this year, the defensive specialist is averaging just 6.2 points, 5.7 assists and 1.0 steals. But over the last five games, Mbah a Moute is at 10.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals. For extreme deep leaguers in search of guys that will play 30-plus minutes, Mbah a Moute is worth an add.

Larry Sanders had just four blocks in the three games Andrew Bogut has missed. Dump him.

Meanwhile, the wing situation is gaining more clarity. Corey Maggette was playing way behind Carlos Delfino and Chris Douglas-Roberts even before his latest knee tweak. Lock in Delfino and John Salmons to 30-plus minutes the rest of the way.

<BIG>NEW JERSEY</BIG>
PG Deron Williams
SG Sasha Vujacic
SF Damion James
PF Kris Humphries
C Brook Lopez

Coach Avery Johnson tried Sasha Vujacic as his starting shooting guard for a couple games. Predictably, it was a failed experiment. Despite Saturday's 26-point outburst when Anthony Morrow (concussion) was out, Vujacic is just not a a legit NBA starter. When Morrow is healthy, he will start and play about 31-33 minutes. Use his 13.6 points and 2.2 3-pointers made per game from February as an expectation.

The Deron Williams' wrist situation is concerning, but he feels an obligation to play out the season. After all, the Nets gave up their franchise for him. So we can consider this wife pregnancy situation a good thing. Williams will fulfill his family obligations while resting his wrists. Then, he will come back strong. It's a win-win. In the meantime, Jordan Farmar projects to play 35 minutes as a top-end fantasy player.

With Derrick Favors gone, Kris Humphries, is a beast. In 32 starts this year, Hump is averaging 9.6 points, 11.1 rebounds and 1.2 blocks on 50.6 percent shooting. Look for his points to rise with Williams at the controls.

<!--RW-->

<BIG>NEW YORK</BIG>
PG Toney Douglas
SG Landry Fields
SF Carmelo Anthony
PF Amare Stoudemire
C Jared Jeffries

Coach Mike D'Antoni has announced that Jared Jeffries will be his starting center even when Ronny Turiaf (knee) returns Yawn. In three starts for the Knicks, Jeffries has played 25.1 minutes per game but somehow averaged 0.3 points. Is that even possible?

Meanwhile, Chauncey Billups' (thigh) absence should be looked at as a good thing. For a player as old as him, a minor muscle injury like this serves as a break. He should be locked and loaded for a big final push.

Landry Fields has adjusted to the trade just fine. He is averaging 31.9 minutes per game over his last five, but most nights he will push for 34. The rookie's status has held as a low-end three-point specialist.

<BIG>ORLANDO</BIG>
PG Jameer Nelson
SG Jason Richardson
SF Hedo Turkoglu
PF Ryan Anderson
C Brandon Bass

Dwight Howard was suspended Monday. He will be back out there Wednesday, returning Ryan Anderson to his bench role.

Anderson is what he is at this point -- he will play 22-24 minutes off the bench and average two treys per game. Anything else you get is a bonus.

The rest of this rotation is set. If you have seen Gilbert Arenas hobble around on the court, you know he is no real threat to Jameer Nelson.

<BIG>PHILADELPHIA</BIG>
PG Jrue Holiday
SG Jodie Meeks
SF Andre Iguodala
PF Elton Brand
C Spencer Hawes

As the Sixers continue to get off to slow starts almost nightly, they are relying more and more on their NBA-best bench. After hovering around 26 minutes all season Thaddeus Young is playing 32.6 minutes a night over the last three games. He is guaranteed at least 26 minutes nightly and is well worth owning in almost all formats.

Lou Williams' role is not quite as secure. When Jodie Meeks gets hot, coach Doug Collins likes to ride the Kentucky product as the better defensive player. And Evan Turner's role is even less secure. Yes, the No. 2 overall pick is playing better, but his jump shot remains abysmal. He will play 16 minutes and struggle much more than he will play 30 minutes.

I'd rank these bench options Young>>Williams>>>Turner.

<BIG>TORONTO</BIG>
PG Jose Calderon
SG DeMar DeRozan
SF James Johnson
PF Amir Johnson
C Andrea Bargnani

The power forward spot here keeps getting more and more interesting. Amir Johnson has surprisingly been able to combine his enormous upside with consistency, making him one of the more valuable players in fantasy over the last couple months. Meanwhile rookie Ed Davis is proving to be a gem. Check out these per-36 minute stats on Davis: 10.8 points, 10.9 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 61.2 percent shooting. And Reggie Evans (foot) seems to be close.

So what gives? Well, at this point, Johnson can't lose his starting gig. He is just playing too well. And as a building block for the Raptors' future, Davis must get minutes. Evans is one of the more beloved guys in every locker room and will get some time too. Look for 29-31 minutes out of Johnson, 23-26 minutes for Davis and eventually 18-20 from Evans.

James Johnson is a nice little story, but relying on him is a desperate move. Johnson will struggle for minutes often thanks to Jerryd Bayless/Leandro Barbosa/Sonny Weems and the ex-Bull just is not a scorer. His current block rate (10 in last six games) is unsustainable.

<BIG>WASHINGTON</BIG>
PG John Wall
SG Nick Young
SF Maurice Evans
PF Andray Blatche
C JaVale McGee

At some point, Rashard Lewis has to just give it up. His knee is simply too sore and while it's admirable that he wants to keep playing for a 16-46 team, it does not make much sense. Look for him to shut it down soon. Theoretically, that would open up time for Josh Howard. But he continues to struggle with his knee along with hamstring woes, so this small forward spot is a fantasy wasteland. It's just not worth the headache.

With those early-season knee problems behind him, John Wall is racking up huge minutes. Over the last 10 games, Wall is averaging 19.5 points, 8.5 assists while playing 39.0 minutes. However, his lack of treys and awful field-goal percentage makes me wary. I think Wall will be overvalued in drafts next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
byen17188
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com