Forum: MAIN FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Tiger vs. Jack total Majors

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think we are just now starting to see the worldwide effect Tiger has had on golf since he turned pro. The new guns thats making a name for themselves were the 6 and 7 year olds when Tigermania mania started in the late 90's.

We are just now starting to see the players reach the PGA tour that Tiger influenced.
    I predict a new era of golf superstars like we have never seen in history because of Tiger Woods.

Its funny that the very reason Tiger may not get as many majors as some people predicted years ago is his own fault for inspiring so many people at 7 and 8 years old to be the next Tiger Woods.

Now all of these Tiger Woods wanna bees have there tour card and are competing against him.

I know Tiger inspired me to get into golf. We are about the same age.
    I play golf at least 4 days a week. Have been doing it for almost 15 years.

I can almost safely say that if not for Tiger I may have never even wanted to try the great sport.

I will never be pro level, but I can see where Tiger would have a huge influence on the new PGA pros that may have not even existed if it was not for him.

Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    Had you sweating for awhile Red Eye...and don't say you weren't....

That 5 foot eagle putt would have been the dagger for you...
    I put some down at 35/1 as a hedge yesterday, wouldn't have been a catastraphe. He played well except for the balky putter

I'm liking this bet more and more...

Tiger has to win 5 of the next 16 Majors.................highly, highly unlikely.

RX Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
    Looking at all of these talented long hitting young studs now on the tour, even if Tiger gets his game back, it's going to be a dogfight to beat these guys. If it was 10 years ago, I would say he would have no problem getting those 5 majors. But the 2011 tour is much stronger and more athletic than it was in 2000. Bubba Watson, Quiros, McCilroy, Fowler, Kim are only going to get better.
    yep. He use to be super long, remember the 'Tiger proofing'? Bring a course to its knees.

and now?

there's about 90 guys on tour that hit it farthur than him, ytd. Wow.

i like FZ's chances

Don't assume people in charge know what they are doin Coaster's Avatar
    What was great set by Woods is now average.
    He set the standard and all the juniors tried harder.....hence all the new Young Guns on tour.
    I so no way.
    Never assume the people in charge know what they are doing!

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/pad...laus-mark-most

Harrington still believes Woods will break Nicklaus' mark for most majors

Getty Images
    Despite Tiger Woods' recent struggles, Padraig Harrington says, "when he turns up and plays well in a given week, I think he’s well capable of winning any major he plays in."
    Doug Ferguson
    Associated Press
    EDISON, N.J.
    EDISON, N.J. -- Padraig Harrington still puts his money on Tiger Woods breaking Jack Nicklaus’ record 18 professional majors.

Harrington played the opening two rounds of the PGA Championship with Woods, who missed the cut. Even so, the Irishman saw him hit enough good shots to realize his game will not be gone forever.

“I still believe when he turns up and plays well in a given week, I think he’s well capable of winning any major he plays in,” Harrington said at The Barclays. “He still has a good ball flight. He still hits it well. Once he puts it together in a given week, he can win and will going forward. … OK, it wasn’t his week that week. But when it is his week, he will win again.”

*Harrington said the difference now is that if something can go wrong with Woods on the course, it will. Woods was atop the leaderboard through five holes of the opening round, and one tee shot into the water changed everything. He opened with a 77 and finished outside the top 100 in a major for the first time.

“This is what I would have seen at the PGA,” Harrington said. “Certain he played better, much better than his score. Whereas when he was on top of his game, he always scored really well. It was very rare that you would ever see Tiger Woods walking off a golf course where he had not got the most out of his round, where he certainly didn’t at the PGA. He got the minimum out of his rounds.”

Harrington said Woods appeared frustrated with the technical part of his game, which did not surprise him. Harrington knows better than most, since he always is tinkering with his swing.

“When you’re kind of happy with your game, you tend to get the most out of it,” he said. “You feel like you shot 70 and you end up shooting 68. And when you’re not happy with your game, you feel like you shot 70 and you end up shooting 72. I experience that myself a lot. That’s kind of what I see in Tiger’s game.”

RX Sunday Afternooner The Commish's Avatar
    Golf needs Tiger to be good again. Although all the young new talent is carrying it very well. Watch the ratings spike when Tiger plays. Even though he is at his worst ever, he is still very relevent to the game itself.
    Just Win Baby!!!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46151155/

Nicklaus: Tiger Woods Will ‘Probably’ Beat My Record
    Published: Thursday, 26 Jan 2012 | 2:00 PM ET Text Size
    By: Bruno J. Navarro

Golf legend Jack Nicklaus sounded optimistic on the likelihood Tiger Woods would eventually beat his record 18 major championship wins.

“Tiger’s still a young guy,” he said Thursday. “I fully expect — he’ll probably break my record, but then again he’s still got to do it.”

Nicklaus, nicknamed “The Golden Bear,” had words of praise for his younger colleague.

“Tiger’s a very talented athelete. He’s got a great work ethic. He’s a great player,” he said. “He’s already got 14 — no one else is even close.”

Nicklaus was at the 2012 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, Fla., as part of a larger effort to promote the sport.

“We go to parks now and play football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer – and we need to bring golf into that conversation,” he said. “We need to bring it into the parks so a Saturday morning activity is as much golf as it is anything else in the park.”

I don't think so. I'd be surprised if Tiger wins even 3 more majors.

Quote Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
    I don't think so. I'd be surprised if Tiger wins even 3 more majors.
    We can bet another 150 on that if you want....

I don't know how old you are Viejo, but Tiger will be playing the British and the Masters at least until he's in his mid 60's

30 more shots at each....

Live long!!!

VD, I'd be willing to double up on the original bet, that Tiger will break
    Jack's major record by Tiger's 40th birthday.

Up to you...

I like our original bet....thank you...

RX Wizard
    tiger will be dead before he is 53 years old

RX Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by 5teamparlay View Post
    I don't know how old you are Viejo, but Tiger will be playing the British and the Masters at least until he's in his mid 60's

Live long!!!
    tiger will be dead before he hits the age of 53

Quote Originally Posted by 5teamparlay View Post

Live long!!!
    Will be 61 in March.....hope I am around to see Tiger play in his 50s and 60s.....

Quote Originally Posted by michael777 View Post
    tiger will be dead before he is 53 years old

Based on what?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...8gO/story.html

Tiger Woods still has major record in sight

He feels he can catch Jack Nicklaus

By Michael Whitmer*|* GLOBE STAFF * * JUNE 13, 2012

Tiger Woods enjoyed a laugh during a practice round on Tuesday.

SAN FRANCISCO - Even though Friday marks the four-year anniversary of the last of his 14 major championships, Tiger Woods isn’t hitting the panic button just yet as his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus’s record 18 remains stuck in neutral.

“Well, Jack did it at 46, right?’’ Woods said, referring to the final major Nicklaus won, the 1986 Masters. “So I’ve got 10 [years]. [Tom] Watson almost pulled it off at 59.

“It can be done. We can play for a very long time. That’s the great thing about staying in shape and lifting weights and being fit, is that the playing careers have extended.’’

Woods comes into this week’s US Open the same way he did the Masters - off a victory. His two-shot victory at the Memorial tied Nicklaus for second on the PGA Tour’s all-time wins list with 73, and established Woods as the betting favorite this week.

He’ll be paired in the first two rounds with Phil Mickelson and Bubba Watson but doesn’t expect a lot of chit-chat. Nothing personal, Woods insisted.

“I don’t think we’re going to talk about a lot,’’ he said. “This is a major championship; we’ve got work to do. It’s such a test playing in this championship. This is one of those championships that I think the guys talk the least to one another because it’s so difficult.’’

Said Mickelson of the pairing: “It’s fabulous. I get excited to play with Tiger, I love it.

“The one player I’m most concerned about if I play my best golf that may have a chance to beat me is Tiger.’’

Woods would love to get major No. 15 near where he spent his college years at Stanford. It might finally stop the questions about whether he is back. Then again, he said, maybe not.

“I think even if I do win a major championship, it will still be, ‘You’re not to 18 yet,’ or, ‘When will you get to 19?’ It’s always something with you guys,’’ Woods said. “I’ve dealt with that my entire career, ever since I was an amateur. It hasn’t changed.’’

You all seem to forget tha Jack went into slumps just like Tiger is going through. Tiger will come back and it won't surprise me if he wins the Open this week.

I think I'm in real good shape here...

Quote Originally Posted by BAGIANT View Post
    You all seem to forget tha Jack went into slumps just like Tiger is going through. Tiger will come back and it won't surprise me if he wins the Open this week.
    Don't think Jack's slumps reached Tigers level to where he slipped off the radar, especially not in his mid 30's when your at your peak..BTW, there playing the Masters this week, not the Open

If he wins the Masters, get ready for a great year....he will probably win another Major...

If he wins the Masters, get ready for a great year....he will probably win another Major...
    You have been repeating this for quite sometime !