Forum: MAIN FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Tiger vs. Jack total Majors

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #51  
    RX Semi-God VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    25,514
    This year he really has a greater chance to succeed.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    RX Semi-God 5teamparlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverview, Florida
    Posts
    32,572
    ODDS TIGER WILL WIN @ MUIRFIELD: AFTER 1 ROUND ---

    2013 British Open - Odds to Win
    15
    Tiger Woods
    +300


    o-



    The Field (Any Other Golfer)
    -400

    u-
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    RX Junior
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56
    I'd take the field here. I still think Tiger's going to win a couple more majors, but it won't be this one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Rx Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,616
    The field looks good here; get down to cash.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    RX Semi-God 5teamparlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverview, Florida
    Posts
    32,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Horseplayer View Post
    The field looks good here; get down to cash.
    Because Tiger is in as the clubhouse leader..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    RX Senior Stax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,170
    Scores are going be higher this afternoon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    RX Semi-God 5teamparlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverview, Florida
    Posts
    32,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Horseplayer View Post
    The field looks good here; get down to cash.
    Field looks worse after round 2 ----
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Rx Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,616
    Cha-ching; congrats to the field on a job well done.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    RX Semi-God GoSooners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    BarrySwitzerland
    Posts
    28,739
    I think it's about time they start making Tiger part of the Field, because this Tiger vs the World stuff isn't working.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #60  
    RX Semi-God festeringZit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    41,759
    Bump
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #61  
    RX Semi-God VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    25,514
    I can only point to golfers who have won majors after the age of 38.....I still believe Tiger does it but probably after age 40.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #62  
    RX Semi-God GoSooners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    BarrySwitzerland
    Posts
    28,739
    Nicklaus and Woods both had 14 Majors at age 38. But even if Tiger recovers 100%, because of the depth of talent on tour now, it is hard for anyone to repeat as a Major winner. Plus the one HUGE thing that Tiger doesn't have anymore is his intimidating mystique.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #63  
    Nirvana Shill RED EYE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    View is freaking unreal up here !!
    Posts
    23,854
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
    Nicklaus and Woods both had 14 Majors at age 38. But even if Tiger recovers 100%, because of the depth of talent on tour now, it is hard for anyone to repeat as a Major winner. Plus the one HUGE thing that Tiger doesn't have anymore is his intimidating mystique.
    and the putter never comes back
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #64  
    RX Semi-God GoSooners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    BarrySwitzerland
    Posts
    28,739
    Quote Originally Posted by RED EYE View Post
    and the putter never comes back
    Even if his putter comes back, the USGA has
    "Tiger Proofed" golf courses so much over the last 10 years that Tiger doesn't have the advantage of length anymore. And the fairways are narrower. Like I said, the depth of the PGA Tour is his biggest obstacle after his health. I look at it this way. How many more teams would have Superbowl trophies if there were only 10 teams in the NFL as opposed to 32? Depth is a big issue. He can still win the minor tournaments. But the big boys from all over the world come out for these majors. The only major that I think Tiger will have his best chance to win year after year is the Masters because of it's limited field. But even there, the field is limited to the best.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #65  
    RX Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,102
    My problem with all the "Tiger talk" over the years has been a familiar problem.

    People were so anxious to promote him as the next coming of Jesus Christ, they lost all track of how to be rational. With the far too many outlets for sports news.... fans become more and more likely to want to recognize someone as the greatest of all time. Here's the thing people.... ALL TIME IS A LONG TIME!!!!

    I have no problem admitting that Tiger has been an outstanding player in his own time and against the available competition. It was always way too soon to hear all the crap about how he was gonna pass Jack's record number of majors. "Premature jocularity" as Keith Olberman says.

    Tiger apparently got to believing his own press clippings, letting his hose misbehave, and unfortunately there you have it. He blew up the life he had. Even as big of a prick as I am sure he has been..... all this still may have had an effect on him to just piss away his life as it was with his wife and children. Who knows if he took roids (which I think there is very little doubt ... HE DID), even if he did run with a litany of hookers and such.... whatever the reasons his body is starting to break down more and more.

    He was NEVER really in position to challenge Jack's record anyway.... at least not yet as of the time years ago when all the morons started insisting it would happen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #66  
    Nirvana Shill RED EYE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    View is freaking unreal up here !!
    Posts
    23,854
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
    Even if his putter comes back, the USGA has
    "Tiger Proofed" golf courses so much over the last 10 years that Tiger doesn't have the advantage of length anymore. And the fairways are narrower. Like I said, the depth of the PGA Tour is his biggest obstacle after his health. I look at it this way. How many more teams would have Superbowl trophies if there were only 10 teams in the NFL as opposed to 32? Depth is a big issue. He can still win the minor tournaments. But the big boys from all over the world come out for these majors. The only major that I think Tiger will have his best chance to win year after year is the Masters because of it's limited field. But even there, the field is limited to the best.
    If anything Tiger proofing a golf course has helped him.. He hasn't been close the last few years leading the tour in length.. Nobody recently talks length with Tigers game..They talk laying it up because he can't hit it straight
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #67  
    RX Semi-God GoSooners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    BarrySwitzerland
    Posts
    28,739
    Quote Originally Posted by RED EYE View Post
    If anything Tiger proofing a golf course has helped him.. He hasn't been close the last few years leading the tour in length.. Nobody recently talks length with Tigers game..They talk laying it up because he can't hit it straight
    It's not really as much about length as it is well placed bunkers around 300 yards out and narrower fairways. Tiger's -21 at Augusta embarassed the bluebloods who run the Masters. They made sure we would probably never see that kind of score again. I also doubt we'll ever see a 15 strokes win in the U.S. Open again either. "Tiger Proofing" has brought the fields of long knockers closer together.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #68  
    Nirvana Shill RED EYE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    View is freaking unreal up here !!
    Posts
    23,854
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
    It's not really as much about length as it is well placed bunkers around 300 yards out and narrower fairways. Tiger's -21 at Augusta embarassed the bluebloods who run the Masters. They made sure we would probably never see that kind of score again. I also doubt we'll ever see a 15 strokes win in the U.S. Open again either. "Tiger Proofing" has brought the fields of long knockers closer together.
    Over the last several years, the "well placed bunkers " would help Tiger, not hurt him.. Tiger for the most part is not driving 300+ to reach those bunkers..the 3 wood is Tiger's only comfortable club of choice off the tee.. He is laying up out of necessity
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #69  
    RX Semi-God GoSooners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    BarrySwitzerland
    Posts
    28,739
    Quote Originally Posted by RED EYE View Post
    Over the last several years, the "well placed bunkers " would help Tiger, not hurt him.. Tiger for the most part is not driving 300+ to reach those bunkers..the 3 wood is Tiger's only comfortable club of choice off the tee.. He is laying up out of necessity
    Your talking about very recent form. Don't kid yourself, Tiger still has the length when he's healthy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #70  
    Nirvana Shill RED EYE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    View is freaking unreal up here !!
    Posts
    23,854
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
    Your talking about very recent form. Don't kid yourself, Tiger still has the length when he's healthy.

    He probably does still have the length GS.. But he doesn't trust it anymore with good reason..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #71  
    RX Semi-God GoSooners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    BarrySwitzerland
    Posts
    28,739
    Quote Originally Posted by RED EYE View Post
    He probably does still have the length GS.. But he doesn't trust it anymore with good reason..
    Point is, they brought fields closer together by Tiger Proofing. They don't want to see the Bubba Watson's and Adam Scott's overpowering the majors and shooting another -21. That will most likely never happen again. Even McIlroy's -12 a couple years ago was very embarassing to the officials who set up that course. BUT, they weren't expecting all of those rains and soft greens. Plus it wasn't exactly the toughest US Open venue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #72  
    RX Semi-God festeringZit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    41,759
    [ I don't think Tiger will break Jack's mark, but Jack is still publicly saying that he thinks Tiger will... ]

    Nicklaus: Tiger will break mark

    Updated: April 8, 2014, 11:26 AM ET

    Nicklaus Says Tiger Will Break His Record




    Tiger Woods has been stuck on 14 majors since winning the 2008 U.S. Open, and that won't change anytime soon as he won't compete in the Masters and into the summer after having back surgery late last month.
    But Jack Nicklaus -- who holds the record of 18 victories in golf's Grand Slam events -- still thinks Woods eventually will break that mark and get to his goal of 19.
    "I feel very bad for Tiger. He's really worked towards my record," Nicklaus said Tuesday on "Mike & Mike" on ESPN Radio. "I still think he'll break my record.
    "As long as he is physically able to do it. ... He's 38 years old and he's probably got another 10 years at least of being able to compete -- that's 40 more majors to win five of them. It shouldn't be too difficult.
    More from ESPN.com

    Tiger Woods would have been better off learning from the life that Jack built, not his game, Rick Reilly writes. Story


    "But then again, I've always said he's just gotta do it. It's gonna be difficult, but if I said anything different I think I would be a jerk. So I think I better say he will do that ... and I actually believe that."
    Woods had microdiscectomy surgery to alleviate discomfort caused by a pinched nerve March 31. His schedule for the summer -- including the U.S. Open and Open Championship -- is still very much in doubt. Woods is also just three wins shy of tying Sam Snead's career mark for PGA Tour victories (82).
    "It's tough right now, but I'm absolutely optimistic about the future," Woods said in a statement after the surgery.
    "There are a couple of records by two outstanding individuals and players that I hope one day to break. As I've said many times, Sam [Snead] and Jack [Nicklaus] reached their milestones over an entire career. I plan to have a lot of years left in mine."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #73  
    RX Semi-God festeringZit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Great State of Texas
    Posts
    41,759
    VD,

    I'll let you buy me out of this bet for $145.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #74  
    RX Semi-God VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    25,514
    Quote Originally Posted by festeringZit View Post
    VD,

    I'll let you buy me out of this bet for $145.


    It doesn't look good.....lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #75  
    RX Semi-God VIEJO DINOSAUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    25,514
    Quote Originally Posted by packer2012 View Post
    My problem with all the "Tiger talk" over the years has been a familiar problem.

    People were so anxious to promote him as the next coming of Jesus Christ, they lost all track of how to be rational. With the far too many outlets for sports news.... fans become more and more likely to want to recognize someone as the greatest of all time. Here's the thing people.... ALL TIME IS A LONG TIME!!!!

    I have no problem admitting that Tiger has been an outstanding player in his own time and against the available competition. It was always way too soon to hear all the crap about how he was gonna pass Jack's record number of majors. "Premature jocularity" as Keith Olberman says.

    Tiger apparently got to believing his own press clippings, letting his hose misbehave, and unfortunately there you have it. He blew up the life he had. Even as big of a prick as I am sure he has been..... all this still may have had an effect on him to just piss away his life as it was with his wife and children. Who knows if he took roids (which I think there is very little doubt ... HE DID), even if he did run with a litany of hookers and such.... whatever the reasons his body is starting to break down more and more.

    He was NEVER really in position to challenge Jack's record anyway.... at least not yet as of the time years ago when all the morons started insisting it would happen.

    I think Tiger will survive and continue to live life as he pleases......

    NEVER in position? That is absurd.....
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •