Search

Tokens
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-298272--.html

Published: April 28, 2011
Updated: 10:07 a.m.
Ex-Angel Grich is a no-brainer Hall of Famer
By SAM MILLER
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

In 1992, Hall of Fame voters had a ballot of names that included, for the first time, Angels second baseman Bobby Grich, along with other first timers Tom Seaver, Tony Perez, George Foster and Vida Blue, among others. Seaver was elected in his first ballot. Perez got 50 percent, enough to suggest he would be inducted eventually. (He was.) Foster and Blue both got the 5 percent needed to stay on the ballot the next year, keeping themselves in the discussion at least.
And Grich got a measly 11 votes out of 430. His batting average was too low, his milestones too few, his play too unexceptional for voters. He was off the ballot forever.

In 1992, Hall of Fame voters had a ballot of names that included, for the first time, Angels second baseman Bobby Grich, along with other first timers Tom Seaver, Tony Perez, George Foster and Vida Blue, among others. Seaver was elected in his first ballot. Perez got 50 percent, enough to suggest he would be inducted eventually. (He was.) Foster and Blue both got the 5 percent needed to stay on the ballot the next year, keeping themselves in the discussion at least.
And Grich got a measly 11 votes out of 430. His batting average was too low, his milestones too few, his play too unexceptional for voters. He was off the ballot forever.
"Grich had credentials on which an argument could be made for his election to the Hall of Fame," the New York Times' Murray Chass wrote at the time. "But if a sizable number of voters was waiting to vote for him the second year, they cheated themselves and Grich because he won't appear on the next ballot."
But baseball has been, over the past decade, in an Age of Enlightenment. Analysts now look beyond batting average, RBIs and errors to evaluate the whole player. It's now clear that Grich was not only good enough to deserve 5 percent of the vote, but easily good enough to make the Hall of Fame.
Consider Wins Above Replacement, the latest attempt at evaluating a player's total contribution on the field: offense, defense, baserunning and position, all adjusted for ballpark and era, to tell us how many wins a player is "worth."
While no single statistic can tell you everything about a player, WAR comes closest. And, according to the WAR model published by Baseball-Reference.com, Bobby Grich -- worth 67.6 wins in his career -- is the third-best position player ever who is eligible for the Hall of Fame but isn't in it. Among the more than 100 position players who are in the Hall of Fame, Grich would rank 39th, ahead of such uncontroversial Hall of Famers as Willie McCovey (65.1), Ozzie Smith (64.6), Roberto Alomar (63.5) and Dave Winfield (59.7).
By a competing Wins Above Replacement model published by the influential website Baseball Prospectus, Grich does just as well, according to Jay Jaffe, who has written extensively about Hall of Fame standards for the site. He ranks players on a combination of career value and peak performance -- to avoid overrating so-called "compilers" who simply hang around -- and says Grich is the sixth-best second baseman of all-time. There are 20 second basemen in the Hall of Fame.
For players who were kicked off the ballot after just one year, Jaffe says, "Grich is about as egregious as it gets."
So why wasn't he appreciated in his time? He never reached 2,000 hits. He hit for a low batting average. He rarely led the league in any offensive categories. He didn't play on any great teams. And, perhaps most significantly, he played at the wrong time.
Had Grich played in the booming 1990s -- not the offensively depressed 1970s and early 1980s -- he likely would have reached 2,000 hits. He might have hit 300 home runs. The greater offense around him could have pushed him well over 1,000 RBIs and given him multiple seasons of scoring 100 runs.
Once you account for his era, it's clear that Grich was a great hitter, a second baseman who hit like a first baseman. For instance, OPS+ is a stat that takes a player's OPS -- on base percentage plus slugging percentage -- and adjusts it for ballpark, league and era. It's a way of devaluing stats put up in Coors Field in the mid-90s, and appreciating hitting performances in the Astrodome in the early 1980s.
Grich has a career OPS+ of 125, or 25 percent better than an average (100) hitter. Other guys around 125:
Carl Yastrzemski, 129
Jim Rice, 128
Jeff Kent, 123.
Ernie Banks, 122.
Paul Molitor, 122.
And, unlike those guys, Grich did it exclusively at premium defensive positions, and he did it while playing legitimate Gold Glove defense. (By one advanced defensive metric called Total Zone, Grich's 1973 season is the best ever for a second baseman, and Grich ranks seventh all-time in runs saved at that position, according to Baseball Reference.)
Grich could still be inducted by the Veterans Committee, but that committee has been very stingy when it comes to post-war players.
"The thing you run across in terms of the snubs overall is that defense and the ability to take a walk are drastically undervalued by the voters," Jaffe says. "Those are things that just aren't appreciated by the mainstream. They look at batting average first, and home runs, and these guys are not necessarily batting average guys or home run guys."
This position on Grich is nothing new. Back in 1986, the seminal baseball writer Bill James wrote in his annual Baseball Abstract: "I'll say this: if Bobby Grich goes into the Hall of Fame, you're going to have real strong evidence that sabermetrics has made an impact on how talent is evaluated by the broader public."
It has, certainly. But it's two decades too late for Grich and the Angels.
More from Angels »
COMMENTS | PRINT | EMAIL | **SHARE

Tokens
Two things I remember about Grich when he & Reggie Jackson were teammates he got the best of Jackson in a brawl & he led the league in homers in the strike shortened season with 22.

Tokens
Let's see. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Joe DiMaggio and... Bobby Grich.

Nope. He shouldn't be in.

He was a solid ballplayer, but I don't recall him ever even being the best player on his team, much less one of the greats to ever play the game.

Tokens
http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_18726708

KRIKORIAN: Grich's numbers are Hall of Fame good
By Doug Krikorian Sports Columnist
Inside SOCAL
Posted:08/20/2011 10:23:24 PM PDT
Bobby Grich is 62 now, and plays a lot of golf at Coto de Coza where he resides in a luxurious home on the sixth fairway with his wife Zetta and 16-year-old daughter Brianna.

He also still works for the Angels in various roles, bringing in sponsors, selling luxury box suites, coordinating Angel alumni affairs and giving speeches at various public functions.

"Stay pretty busy and really enjoy my work," said Grich, a 1967 Wilson High graduate who played 17 seasons in the major leagues - seven with the Baltimore Orioles and 10 with the Angels.

He went on to praise the team's owner, Arte Moreno - "definitely the best owner in baseball who runs what was voted in an ESPN poll as baseball's top organization" - and went on to reflect on his lengthy career that in recent times has caught the attention of those who passionately embrace sabermetrics. This is a term derived from the acronym SABR, which stands for the Society for American Baseball Research and was coined by Bill James, one of the pioneers of this innovative analysis of baseball through objective, empirical evidence, especially statistics that measure in-game activity.

"The sabermetic people look at the hitting and fielding numbers in my career and have liked what they see," Grich said.

Indeed, there has even been a movement afoot among many to get Grich into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

And why not?

If another second baseman of distinction, the Pittsburgh Pirates' Bill Mazeroski, was able to make it to Cooperstown, why not Grich?

Grich actually wound up with a higher lifetime batting average than Mazeroski (.266 to .260), more walks (1,087 to 447) more home runs (224 to 138) and more RBIs (864 to 853).

Mazeroski did play in more games (2,163 to 2,008) than Grich, had more hits (2,016 to 1,833), earned more Golden Glove awards (10 to six) and played in more All Star games (10 to six).

But Grich also was a deft fielder who actually wound up committing fewer errors than Mazeroski (156 to 204), and even established a major league record in 1973 when he committed only five errors in 162 games for a glittering .995 fielding percentage.

He actually would break that record in 1985 when he committed only two errors for a .997 percentage, although he played in only 116 games.

He also had memorable hitting seasons that Mazeroski never was able to match, especially in 1979 when he deposited 31 home runs and had 101 RBIs.

His top production came in the strike-shortened 1981 season - it spanned a mere 100 - games when he wound up tied for the American League lead in home runs with 22, wound up batting .304 and wound up with the league's top slugging percentage (.543).

"I really never thought about the Hall of Fame until the subject recently came up," he said. "I started looking up different stats, and discovered that Mazeroski had five seasons in which he had more than 900 fielding chances and I had three. Robbie Alomar (Hall of Fame second baseman) never had one."

While Grich and Mazeroski had similar careers - Mazeroski also played 17 seasons - Grich says Mazeroski had one huge advantage over him.

"He hit one of the most historic home runs in baseball history," he said, referring to Mazeroski's walk-off home run for the Pirates against the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. "I just didn't do that well in the playoffs, and I never played in a World Series.

"I also played a lot of my career on the West Coast, and a lot of Angel box scores never appeared in East Coast newspapers until the day after because of deadlines. The high recognition factor for me wasn't there for a lot of my career, and the Internet and ESPN's SportsCenter weren't around, either. I think I would have appeared in a few of its top 10 web gem segments if it were around."

Grich realizes it's a longshot for him to one day be inducted into baseball's sacred pantheon, but says he isn't exactly agonizing over it.

"I really never thought about it until the sabermetrics people brought it up," he said.

But he admits he still retains a sense of frustration about never appearing in a World Series.

Of course, he did come tantalizingly close on Oct. 12, 1986 in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series against the Boston Red Sox.

The Angels, holding a 3-1 lead in the series, were ahead 5-4 with two outs in the ninth inning with no one on base as the 64,223 spectators at Anaheim Stadium were cheering loudly in anticipation of their beloved heroes finally making it into the Fall Classic.

But Gene Mauch, in a move that has stirred heated debate to this moment, yanked his starting pitcher, Mike Witt, and brought in a journeyman left-hander named Gary Lucas to face the left-handed hitting Red Sox catcher Rich Gedman, who had three hits against Witt.

"My adrenaline was off the charts, and I was throwing as hard as I ever did in my career at that moment," Witt would confess to me years later. "I definitely didn't want to come out."

Well, Witt did depart, and Lucas proceeded to plunk Gedman.

Mauch then brought in Donnie Moore, and the rest turned out to be tragic history for the Angels and Moore.

Henderson would deposit a two-run homer off Moore and the Red Sox would go on to emerge with a 7-6 victory in 11 innings, and would return to Fenway Park to post two more victories over the Angels to win the AL pennant.

"You couldn't hear a pin drop when Henderson hit his home run," said Grich, who recently discussed that famous game with Bob Costas on the MLB Network with Henderson and the Red Sox starter that game, Bruce Hurst. "It was kind of surreal. One moment there is absolute bedlam and pandemonium in the stadium. And next moment nothing. It was so quiet you could hear yourself breathe."

Ever the loyal company man, Grich insists Mauch made the proper decision taking out Witt.

"Lucas had faced Gedman three previous times, and had struck him out twice and got him on a slow grounder," he said. "Gedman had a home run, double and single against Witt already that day. Gene told me, `I couldn't live with myself if Gedman got a hold of one.' Gene did the right thing."

Maybe so, but, for sure, it turned out disastrously, which I don't believe would have been the case had the pumped-up Witt been allowed to close out the proceedings.

For many years, Bobby Grich was known as the Playboy of Long Beach, and such a notorious skirt chaser that someone once insisted to me that he had actually seen a sticker that said, "Honk If You Haven't Dated Bobby Grich."

But that is all in Grich's long ago past, as he just recently celebrated his 19th wedding anniversary.

"Life is good," said Grich, who carries a two handicap on the golf course. "I have no complaints. I'm in good health. Have a great family. Of course there are always things in life you would like to change. But mine has been a blessed one."

doug.krikorian@presstelegram.com

Tokens

Inside SOCAL
Bobby Grich is 62 now, and plays a lot of golf at Coto de Coza where he resides in a luxurious home on the sixth fairway with his wife Zetta and 16-year-old daughter Brianna.

He also still works for the Angels in various roles, bringing in sponsors, selling luxury box suites, coordinating Angel alumni affairs and giving speeches at various public functions.

"Stay pretty busy and really enjoy my work," said Grich, a 1967 Wilson High graduate who played 17 seasons in the major leagues - seven with the Baltimore Orioles and 10 with the Angels.

He went on to praise the team's owner, Arte Moreno - "definitely the best owner in baseball who runs what was voted in an ESPN poll as baseball's top organization" - and went on to reflect on his lengthy career that in recent times has caught the attention of those who passionately embrace sabermetrics. This is a term derived from the acronym SABR, which stands for the Society for American Baseball Research and was coined by Bill James, one of the pioneers of this innovative analysis of baseball through objective, empirical evidence, especially statistics that measure in-game activity.

"The sabermetic people look at the hitting and fielding numbers in my career and have liked what they see," Grich said.

Indeed, there has even been a movement afoot among many to get Grich into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

And why not?

If another second baseman of distinction, the Pittsburgh Pirates' Bill Mazeroski, was able to make it to Cooperstown, why not Grich?

Grich actually wound up with a higher lifetime batting average than Mazeroski (.266 to .260), more walks (1,087 to 447) more home runs (224 to 138) and more RBIs (864 to 853).

Mazeroski did play in more games (2,163 to 2,008) than Grich, had more hits (2,016 to 1,833), earned more Golden Glove awards (10 to six) and played in more All Star games (10 to six).

But Grich also was a deft fielder who actually wound up committing fewer errors than Mazeroski (156 to 204), and even established a major league record in 1973 when he committed only five errors in 162 games for a glittering .995 fielding percentage.

He actually would break that record in 1985 when he committed only two errors for a .997 percentage, although he played in only 116 games.

He also had memorable hitting seasons that Mazeroski never was able to match, especially in 1979 when he deposited 31 home runs and had 101 RBIs.

His top production came in the strike-shortened 1981 season - it spanned a mere 100 - games when he wound up tied for the American League lead in home runs with 22, wound up batting .304 and wound up with the league's top slugging percentage (.543).

"I really never thought about the Hall of Fame until the subject recently came up," he said. "I started looking up different stats, and discovered that Mazeroski had five seasons in which he had more than 900 fielding chances and I had three. Robbie Alomar (Hall of Fame second baseman) never had one."

While Grich and Mazeroski had similar careers - Mazeroski also played 17 seasons - Grich says Mazeroski had one huge advantage over him.

"He hit one of the most historic home runs in baseball history," he said, referring to Mazeroski's walk-off home run for the Pirates against the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. "I just didn't do that well in the playoffs, and I never played in a World Series.

"I also played a lot of my career on the West Coast, and a lot of Angel box scores never appeared in East Coast newspapers until the day after because of deadlines. The high recognition factor for me wasn't there for a lot of my career, and the Internet and ESPN's SportsCenter weren't around, either. I think I would have appeared in a few of its top 10 web gem segments if it were around."

Grich realizes it's a longshot for him to one day be inducted into baseball's sacred pantheon, but says he isn't exactly agonizing over it.

"I really never thought about it until the sabermetrics people brought it up," he said.

But he admits he still retains a sense of frustration about never appearing in a World Series.

Of course, he did come tantalizingly close on Oct. 12, 1986 in Game 5 of the American League Championship Series against the Boston Red Sox.

The Angels, holding a 3-1 lead in the series, were ahead 5-4 with two outs in the ninth inning with no one on base as the 64,223 spectators at Anaheim Stadium were cheering loudly in anticipation of their beloved heroes finally making it into the Fall Classic.

But Gene Mauch, in a move that has stirred heated debate to this moment, yanked his starting pitcher, Mike Witt, and brought in a journeyman left-hander named Gary Lucas to face the left-handed hitting Red Sox catcher Rich Gedman, who had three hits against Witt.

"My adrenaline was off the charts, and I was throwing as hard as I ever did in my career at that moment," Witt would confess to me years later. "I definitely didn't want to come out."

Mauch then brought in Donnie Moore, and the rest turned out to be tragic history for the Angels and Moore.

Henderson would deposit a two-run homer off Moore and the Red Sox would go on to emerge with a 7-6 victory in 11 innings, and would return to Fenway Park to post two more victories over the Angels to win the AL pennant.

"You couldn't hear a pin drop when Henderson hit his home run," said Grich, who recently discussed that famous game with Bob Costas on the MLB Network with Henderson and the Red Sox starter that game, Bruce Hurst. "It was kind of surreal. One moment there is absolute bedlam and pandemonium in the stadium. And next moment nothing. It was so quiet you could hear yourself breathe."

Ever the loyal company man, Grich insists Mauch made the proper decision taking out Witt.

"Lucas had faced Gedman three previous times, and had struck him out twice and got him on a slow grounder," he said. "Gedman had a home run, double and single against Witt already that day. Gene told me, `I couldn't live with myself if Gedman got a hold of one.' Gene did the right thing."

Maybe so, but, for sure, it turned out disastrously, which I don't believe would have been the case had the pumped-up Witt been allowed to close out the proceedings.

For many years, Bobby Grich was known as the Playboy of Long Beach, and such a notorious skirt chaser that someone once insisted to me that he had actually seen a sticker that said, "Honk If You Haven't Dated Bobby Grich."

But that is all in Grich's long ago past, as he just recently celebrated his 19th wedding anniversary.

"Life is good," said Grich, who carries a two handicap on the golf course. "I have no complaints. I'm in good health. Have a great family. Of course there are always things in life you would like to change. But mine has been a blessed one."

Tokens
IMO, Bill Mazeroski never deserved to be voted in by the Veteran's Committee, and likewise, Bobby Grich does not belong in the HOF.

Tokens
Grich belongs in the Hall of the Very Good...

Not the Hall of Fame.

Tokens
Other than two good seasons, he had 171 homers in 15 years and couldn't even get 2,000 hits in 17 years. Doesn't even belong on the ballot, let alone in the Hall.

Tokens
<section class="content-section-article-header" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; box-sizing: inherit; border-left-width: 12px; border-left-style: solid; margin: -36px 0px 0px -24px; padding: 24px 0px 24px 24px; width: 327px; border-left-color: rgb(225, 6, 0) !important; border-top-color: rgb(225, 6, 0) !important;">https://www.golf.com/news/2020/01/2...m_content={date(&utm_term=Forecast Newsletter
Former MLB player pursued a club thief in golf-cart chase at posh private club

By Jessica Marksbury
JANUARY 20, 2020

</section><section class="content-section-article-lead-image" style="box-sizing: inherit; grid-row-start: Lead; grid-column-start: Lead; grid-row-end: Lead; grid-column-end: Lead; padding-bottom: 20px;">
lazy_placeholder.gif
A posh private club in Southern California's Orange County was the site of a dramatic theft that involved a former MLB player.
CLUBCORP.COM

</section>Former MLB player Bobby Grich, 71, had an unpleasant experience during a recent late-evening round at the posh Coto de Caza Golf & Racquet Club in Southern California’s Orange County, when a thief brazenly took off in Grich’s golf cart while Grich was putting on the North Course’s 16th green. Grich first pursued the thief on foot, before chasing him through the neighborhood in another golf cart, but the suspect got away.
The shocking story was detailed by the Orange Country Register.
“I was just picking up my ball out of the hole and I hear kind of a clamor,” Grich told the Register. “Oh this guy is confused and he’s in the wrong cart. I yelled at him and he didn’t acknowledge me … he didn’t pay attention.”
The man, who was dressed in black, sped off in Grich’s cart, which contained Grich’s wallet, phone and clubs.

NEWS
Police arrest thief suspected of stealing MLB pitcher’s clubs at Waste Management

ADVERTISEMENT
<svg class="kargo-svg-opt-out" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 22 22"><rect x="9.528" y="10.141" width="2.943" height="7.679" rx="1.472" ry="1.472"></rect><circle cx="11" cy="6.076" r="1.897"></circle></svg>
<svg class="kargo-svg-loader" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="39" height="39" viewBox="0 0 39 39" stroke="#fff"><g transform="translate(1 1)" stroke-width="3" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><circle stroke-opacity=".5" cx="18.5" cy="18.5" r="18" stroke="#dee2e6"></circle></g></svg>

WHEN YOU SUPPORT
OUR ADVERTISERS,
YOU SUPPORT US.
THANK YOU!

Grich told the Register that he chased the thief on foot about halfway down the fairway, before jumping into another golfer’s cart to continue the pursuit. Grich attempted to follow the thief on residential streets before he found his cart abandoned, with his wallet and clubs gone but his phone left behind.
Though Grich says he called his wife right away to start cancelling credit cards, the thief had already racked up nearly $1,000 in charges at area drug and grocery stores.
Grich has since replaced his stolen clubs, he can’t help but feel regret for an all-too-relatable reason for anyone who loves the game.
“The bummer of this whole thing is the driver that he took,” Grich told the Register. “I’ve never had a driver that good.”
Police took a report for grand theft, but no arrests have yet been made.

The Great Govenor of California
Tokens

Inside SOCAL

And why not?

the writer Krikorian and Grich live 50 yards apart in long beacg

Rx God
Tokens
Very solid ballplayer, just not quite enough for the Hall, but close.

Official Rx music critic and beer snob
Tokens
Reggie vs Bonds in an asshole contest would be an all out battle.

Haha yes. Pete Rose is still in the team pic.

Back to Grich. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the HOF thru the veterans commitee. As more players are judged by sabermetrics, Grich stands out more. A career WAR of 60 is a borderline HOFer, Grich is at 71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gift-express
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com