Johnny Damon, Hall of Famer?

Search

Tokens
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/johnny_damon_ha.html

Johnny Damon, Hall of Famer?
() Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff June 15, 2011 12:48 PM
By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff
:dancefool
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — You can turn baseball statistics into a lot of different directions to make a point. Like this one:

Johnny Damon has 499 doubles after drilling a Tim Wakefield pitch off the wall in right field last night. He is one shy from becoming only the 11th player in the history of baseball with 500 doubles, 100 triples, 200 home runs and 2,500 hits.

The other 10 players are George Brett, Goose Goslin, Rogers Hornsby, Willie Mays, Paul Molitor, Stan Musial, Babe Ruth, Al Simmons and Robin Yount.

What do those gentlemen also have in common? They're all in the Hall of Fame.

Now here's where it gets funky. Of those 10 players, only Molitor and Mays also have at least 300 stolen bases.

So Damon will be one of three players in history with 500 doubles, 100 triples, 200 homers, 2,500 hits and 300 steals. Yes, we have better ways of analyzing players these days and round numbers aren't especially significant. But one of three players?

And if metrics are your deal, Damon has a 50.2 career WAR. Jim Rice was 41.5.

Damon has 2,643 career hits. If he somehow makes it to 3,000, it would be hard to justify not selecting him on a Hall of Fame ballot.

And while this is sure to infuriate some, Damon will register high on the intangible meter when people look at their ballot. He has always been a winner, a gamer, a good teammate and all that good stuff. Plus he has two World Series rings.

It sounds like crazy talk. But Johnny Damon could well be a Hall of Famer. Just for the speech alone, it would be fun.

Tokens
And has a career .287 average with 223 HRs over 17 years not to mention the worst throwing arm of any outfielder in MLB history.

Good god what a stupid argument.

Rx. Senior
Tokens
We understand you cut-and-paste articles just to be annoying and most of us understand that there is some humor in being annoying ... but really? Damon? How can anyone come up with a premise like this?

He's played in more games than Dale Murphy and Fred Lynn, but that's because of 300 games at DH -- and Damon is not nearly as good as those guys. Not even close to Raines

Tokens
Though I don't think of Damon as a Hall of Famer, if he gets 3,000 hits, he's most likely in. If he finishes strong this year and has two more decent seasons, he'll get 3,000 at age 40.

Tokens
http://www.baynews9.com/article/spo...-Damon-Punched-His-Ticket-To-MLB-Hall-Of-Fame
Has Johnny Damon Punched His Ticket To the Hall of Fame?
Tampa Bay Rays designated hitter Johnny Damon acknowledges the crowd after hitting his 500th career double with a first inning hit off Florida Marlins starting pitcher Ricky Nolasco. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)
By J.B. Long, Bright House Sports Network
Last Updated: Saturday, June 18, 2011
ST. PETERSBURG --*
The accomplishment, and especially the significance of it, didn’t sneak up on Johnny Damon. It’s been on his radar for the past year.
“That’s one of the milestones I want to hit,” the Rays designated hitter said in anticipation of career double 500, which finally arrived on Saturday night in a win over the Marlins. “Hopefully I can continue to run the way that I do and, I don’t know, I think 600 (doubles) is well within reach also.”
The group of players with 500 or more is select—Damon will be just the 53rd in major league history to accomplish the feat.
The company with 500 doubles, 100 triples, 200 home runs and 2,500 is downright elite. In fact, it’s a list short enough to reproduce here.
Chronologically: Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Goose Goslin, Lou Gehrig, Al Simmons, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, George Brett, Robin Yount and Paul Molitor.
All 10 are Hall of Famers.
And Damon just joined them—at least in the record books. But in Cooperstown?
“I do believe he’s on the verge of becoming (a Hall of Famer), I really do,” manager Joe Maddon said. “In a very stealthy manner, he snuck up on a lot of this stuff. I had no idea of this coming into this season. At the end of his career, he’s got to be strongly considered because a lot of these marks are going to be surpassed.”
Becoming the 11th member of the aforementioned hit association could be Damon’s strongest argument. If the 37-year-old reaches 3,000 hits before his career concludes—a definite possibility if he can play two seasons beyond 2011—that would also substantially bolster his case.
Of the 27 players to surpass that mark, all but three are in the Hall of Fame—Pete Rose (4,256 and banned), Craig Biggio (3,060), and Rafael Palmeiro (3,020). Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, recently placed on the disabled list, will be next.
Damon still has 354 hits—and an unknown number of seasons—left to go. But regardless of whether or not he reaches the 3,000 plateau, Damon believes enshrinement is within reach.
“I think my runs scored (1,597—47th all-time) and winning the championships (2004 and 2009) definitely help out,” said the former Red Sox and Yankees outfielder.
“It’s tough because I’ve been on some teams where the focus has been on other players like (Alex Rodriguez) and (Derek) Jeter and Manny (Ramirez). So a lot of the stuff that you’ve done kind of gets overlooked.”
To that point, and working against his Hall of Fame bid, Damon has only twice been an All-Star, has never finished higher than 13th in MVP voting, and is without a Gold Glove defensively.
For the more statistically advanced, according to Baseball-Reference.com, Damon’s 105 OPS+ would rank 63rd among Hall of Fame outfielders. His 50.2 career WAR checks in at 42nd.
“I think I really snuck up on a lot of people,” Damon said of his statistical accumulation, mirroring Maddon’s word choice. “When I first broke into the league, people looked at me as just a singles hitter, but that wasn’t necessarily the case. I proved that I was an extra-base machine.”
That he has. And after a career of sneaking up on professional baseball, might Cooperstown be caught off guard next?
“If you asked a lot of my former teammates, they would believe so. I guess at the end of the day that’s the most important thing. To have that respect from all your teammates. I feel like I have that. And I still have a lot of work to do, and that’s what I plan to do.”

Tokens
how many times has he been an all-star?

I think if you play 17 years, and only go to the "best of the best" game for that year..... T-W-I-C-E

you don't get in.

its the hall of fame.....

not the hall of above average with longevity......

Tokens
Johnny Damon(notes) had an RBI single in the second to push the lead to 2-0..

At 2647. 5 more to pass Teddy Ballgame...

Tokens
All Star Games don't mean shit, especially now days. Robin Yount only went to 3 ASG. He didn't even get selected in one of his MVP seasons.

Tokens
Personally, I never thought of him as a HOFer, but I guess he's got the stats. I agree with Joe Maddon...he snuck up with all these stats. If he gets 3000 hits, he's definitely in.

Tokens
Personally, I never thought of him as a HOFer, but I guess he's got the stats. I agree with Joe Maddon...he snuck up with all these stats. If he gets 3000 hits, he's definitely in.

What stats does he have? Hits? That's what's supposed to happen over a 17-year career. His defense is horendous, he can't hit for power and his average is not even at .300.

Tokens
'He is one shy from becoming only the 11th player in the history of baseball with 500 doubles, 100 triples, 200 home runs and 2,500 hits.'
These stats...plus the stolen bases.
I'm like you when I saw the thread, I thought 'nfw'. But if only Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Goose Goslin, Lou Gehrig, Al Simmons, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, George Brett, Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were able to do that you've got to give the man his props.
Yeah his defense may hurt him a little as all those guys were good (some great) defensive players. But I think 3000 hits is the clincher. Everyone with 3000 is in except for Pete. Palmeiro probably won't. Biggio probably will.

Tokens
http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/is-johnny-damon-a-hall-of-famer.html

Is Johnny Damon a Hall of Famer?
by NESN Staff on Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:56AM * *
There are a few numbers in baseball that might as well be an automatic ticket to Cooperstown. One of those numbers is 3,000, as in 3,000 hits.
Derek Jeter reached the magical number last weekend. His Hall of Fame credentials cannot be questioned. He will have a plaque in Cooperstown very soon.

Yet Johnny Damon, a man who is approaching the 3,000-hit club, isn't quite a sure thing. Sure, as Jonah Keri pointed out earlier this week, "Unless you bet on baseball or get busted for steroids, 3,000 hits earn you automatic induction into the Hall of Fame, and a taste of immortality."

But with someone like Damon, would that be a slam dunk, so to speak?

First of all, Damon still has some work to do if he wants to taste that rarefied air that only 28 others have inhaled. Entering play Friday night, Damon had 2,663 hits to his name. His pace has slowed some, but not much. In fact, Damon has no fewer than 144 hits in a single season since he left Boston.

At that pace, he could certainly do it, but he's probably going to have to do it after he's hit the big 4-0.
And if Damon can't get to 3,000, will his numbers still warrant Hall of Fame discussion? He's only a two-time All-Star, but he has built up some pretty impressive numbers over the course of his career. He has more than 500 doubles. He's surpassed 100 triples. He's eclipsed 200 home runs. And he's over 2,500 hits. The list of major leaguers who have done all of those things is a very short, very exclusive list. George Brett, Lou Gehrig, Goose Goslin, Rogers Hornsby, Willie Mays, Paul Molitor, Stan Musial, Babe Ruth, Al Simmons and Robin Yount are the only ones to do that.
All of them are in the Hall of Fame.
And if that's still not enough to at least consider the notion, remember that Damon does have a couple of World Series rings as well.
No doubt Damon's resume for Cooperstown will add an important notch if he can get to 3,000. However, his body of work may just be good enough even without the historical number.

Tokens
http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x1533031671/Johnny-not-so-rotten-any-more

August 16, 2011
Johnny not-so-rotten any more

On Pro BaseballChristopher SmithThe Eagle TribuneTue Aug 16, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT

BOSTON — Tampa Bay Rays designated hitter Johnny Damon was wearing a T-shirt underneath his uniform yesterday that makes a pretty brash statement:
"There's no safety on these guns" with arrows pointing at each of his biceps.
At 37 years old, Damon's body could easily be mistaken for one a dozen years younger.
The former Red Sox center fielder entered yesterday's doubleheader versus Boston just 314 hits shy of 3,000 hits for his career, and he should be able to play long enough to reach the 3,000-hit milestone because of his superior physical shape.
That brings up an interesting question: Is Damon a Hall of Famer if he reaches 3,000 hits?
"It's going to be widely debated," Damon said. "I've got some numbers that are going to definitely qualify for it. But I think with everyone, it's about how you finished on an MVP vote and all that stuff. But a bunch of those guys who won the MVP vote used (performance enhancing drugs). And it definitely takes away from how high I possibly could have been being a clean player in our generation."
Damon told The Eagle-Tribune he prides himself on being a clean player during this generation.
"It's probably the most important thing," Damon said. "I've always been like, 'You know what? Never needed it.' Never knew it was in baseball or belonged in baseball. So I'm happy that I never went down that road."
Only 28 players in Major League Baseball history have reached 3,000 hits during their careers.
"When he reaches 3,000 hits, to me, that automatically makes him a Hall of Famer," said Don Zimmer, a Tampa Bay Rays senior advisor who managed the Red Sox from 1976 through 1980.
Damon, who likely will join the elite 3,000 hit club someday, entered yesterday with a .286 career average, .353 on-base percentage, .434 slugging percentage, .788 OPS, 225 home runs, 1,098 RBIs, 506 doubles, 105 triples, 396 stolen bases, 1,623 runs and 2,686 hits.
Damon said whether he eventually becomes a Hall of Famer is not his decision and there are more important things.
"The most important thing I think about playing is what your teammates think about you and if you left the game in a better place than when you came in," Damon said.
Zimmer loves having Damon in the Rays organization.
"He plays the game the way it should be played," Zimmer said. "He plays hard all the time. DH'ing is his role right now. He's strong. Physically he's strong. That's why I think he has a chance to hit 3,000 hits."
So how does Damon stay in such great shape?
"I definitely work harder in the offseason," Damon said. "I think the biggest thing is having four kids. I'm constantly trying to keep up with them now, whether my son's playing basketball or my daughter's playing volleyball or the younger kids are riding bikes. I'm constantly going and knowing that I have to stay in shape."
Damon gives Sox edge over Yankees
Damon's Tampa Bay team entered yesterday nine games over .500 but nine games out of first place in the AL East to both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.
Damon said he thinks Boston is better than New York.
"Right now, I'm thinking it's Boston," said Damon, who won World Series titles with both Boston and the Yankees. "I just think their offense is going on all cylinders right now. And their pitching staff, they have had some injuries this year. But also that can make a pitching staff fresher down the stretch. So I think right now, they're looking pretty strong. You never know in this division. Things change quickly." Damon, therefore, isn't counting out the Rays just yet.
"We feel very good about our team and our chances," Damon said. "We know it's an uphill battle. ... We look at the big picture. We've got to think about (picking up) one game a week. We do play a bunch of the same teams that we need to climb down the stretch. So we're not going to give up yet. We're nine games over .500. Hopefully, we can push it to 15 in the next two weeks. And we've just kind of got to see where it takes us."
Damon does enjoy returning to Boston.
"I just think coming back under different circumstances — not with the pinstripes — it's just a different feel," Damon said. "A bunch of fans remember how great this team became in the short time I was here. People are pumped about their team this year also. So these fans are always going to want the championships."
Good reason to pass on Sox last year
Damon, who played for the Detroit Tigers last year, had a chance to return to Boston in Aug. 2010.
The Red Sox claimed him on waivers. But Damon declined a trade to Boston.
"It felt right (to stay in Detroit) with the situation that they (the Red Sox) were in," Damon said. "They were seven games back at the time. I felt like it would have been more about me than more about the team."
3,000 hit club
Only 28 players in Major League Baseball history have reached 3,000 hits during their careers.
Twenty-four of the 28 are in the Hall of Fame.
Pete Rose, the all-time hits leader with 4,256 hits, isn't a Hall of Famer, because of his ban for betting on baseball.
Derek Jeter has more than 3,000 hits but he still is playing.
Craig Biggio, who retired in 2007, has 3,060 career hits, is not Hall of Fame eligible until 2013.
Rafael Palmeiro, who has 3,020 career hits, received just 11.0 percent of the vote in 2011. Palmeiro was suspended for violating baseball's anti-drug policy during his career. The Washington Post reported that he used "a serious steroid" according to "a well-placed industry source."

Tokens
Hit 2717 for the future HOF er

- J. Damon homered to deep right, E. Longoria scored
Rays up Big..

Tokens
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...s_big_role_in_rays_run__in_seri.html?r=sports

Johnny Damon, with tons of playoff experience, plays big role in Rays' run & in series with Rangers

BY Roger Rubin
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Monday, October 3rd 2011, 4:00 AM
ST. PETERSBURG - The Rays have a rare dichotomy in this postseason: they are a very young team, but also have players with vast playoff experience. They have never won a World Series, but Johnny Damon has two rings.
Damon, the Rays' DH, doesn't just talk about winning three games and the series. He talks about how "11 wins is what everyone is looking for in the playoffs," meaning he wants much more.
The 37-year-old Damon not only hit a big home run in Game 1 of the ALDS vs. Texas, he has reached base three other times, all by hustling down the first base line. He's had an infield hit in each game and in Game 1 also forced an error by putting pressure on the defense.
"Johnny's home run was big, but I loved even more beating out those two ground balls. How about that?" Rays manager Joe Maddon raved after the 9-1 Game 1 win. "In today's game it is not often I see a 37-year-old Hall of Famer running down the line like that.
"Those two plays, which most guys would put in their back pocket, they think they're going to be out. He did not and one led (to) a run and the other one scored a run. That's what we have to be about as the Rays, and Johnny right there showed the guys."
Damon liked the idea of joining the Rays when they offered him a $5.25 million contract in the offseason. They play just under two hours from his home near Orlando. Damon was envisioned as a starting outfielder, but became the regular DH after Manny Ramirez retired abruptly after testing positive for a banned substance. Damon batted .261 with 16 homers, 73 RBI and 79 runs scored and extended his streak of 140 games played to 16 straight seasons.
Playing with the Rays has stoked the fire that Damon has played with throughout his career. He helped build team camaraderie with spring training invitations to his teammates to play golf or go on outings on his boat. That camaraderie may have been a factor in the Rays' September run from nine games back to oust the Red Sox on the final day of the regular season.
"That comeback we had in September was just amazing. Obviously that (World Series) comeback in '04 may be considered the greatest comeback ever. And we finished it off by winning a championship," Damon said. "This comeback is very special, just because we were so many games behind, especially in that last day.
"The turn of events, and being able to go to the playoffs with my hometown team, it's a very special moment. And I hope we can continue to play well and we'll see where we end up at the end of this thing."

Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit
Tokens
HEY ERIC.....not to be too much of a bug, but my contact with Rays has told me he should be able to get me two duckets for Tuesday game if you can shake loose.

I would of course preefer to ask BILLSY....(heh)....but she's off to pursue marital happiness and my list of baseball/sports chums has shrunk accordingly.

SheBar work schedule precludes her attending either game this week

====

He also has me down for two this afternoon, but I've got one of my clients going with me on that one.

drop me a text if interested and I'll keep you updated. I would know for sure no later than about 11am Tuesday so that neither of us is left hanging.

Tokens
I'd love to, but allready taking off work tonight for little league baseball practice @ 7 PM sharp. Normally scheduled work Tuesdays at 7P and have to work some this week. I'd normally go in a New York minute ........................................ i'll be watching game 4 in a dealers chair... Wish I could attend...

Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit
Tokens
cool...just took last peek at Rx before hitting my own work sites.....And just learned about tomorrow being a 2pm start

will tip a glass in your honor and hey, if Rays give us an ALCS shot, keep in touch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com