Cnotes Wednesday's MLB Best Bets !

Search

Tokens
Southpaws Dominate Hump Day MLB Betting Slate

Who ordered the left-handers? A baker's dozen are strewn about Wednesday's major league pitching matchups, including four all-lefty clashes in the National League, three of which we'll be taking a look at on our daily tour around the big leagues.

Another lefty-righty battle in the Senior Circuit is also on our list, and that game could produce the best starting pitching numbers on the evening once it's all said and done. With half of the NL slate to cover, time's a'wasting.

NL West Squads Host Trio Of All-Southpaw Contests
Wednesday's first double-lefty matchup is also the first game on the MLB betting card as the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres clash in an afternoon affair at Petco Park (6:35 p.m. ET). Chris Capuano is scheduled for LA opposite San Diego's Clayton Richard, with the Dodgers opening at -135 with a 6½-run total.

The Dodgers ranked second vs. the MLB odds with 11.0 units of profit heading into Tuesday's finale vs. Arizona. About half of that has come against the Padres with LA 6-1 so far this season (+5.15 units). One of the wins came with Capuano on the hill, though he failed to make it through the fifth in his worst start of the campaign. Capuano rebounded nicely from the outing, and the Dodgers have won five of his six starts since while he's posted a 1.38 ERA in that span.

San Diego's lone win vs. LA came in Richard's season debut (7 IP, 0 ER), but the Pads have since dropped all six of his assignments with the former Michigan star's ERA at 5.31. Richard has allowed at least four earned runs in four of those six starts.

Shifting the scene from San Diego to Denver for our next all-southpaw duel, more than three years after Jamie Moyer made his major league debut, Patrick Corbin was born. They'll meet Tuesday when the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies begin their 2-game series at Coors Field (8:40 p.m. ET).

Colorado opened at -125 with a nice fat 10½-run total that leaned slightly to the 'under.'

Arizona and Colorado have both been drains on anyone following them at the MLB betting window. The D-Backs (15-21) were off 6.8 units and the Rocks -9.1 units heading into their Tuesday contests that were still pending at press.

Corbin will be making his fourth big league start and is coming off a dandy vs. the Giants last Friday. The 22-year-old tossed seven innings of 3-hit, 1-run ball in Arizona's 5-1 win as a +110 underdog.

Moyer will be appearing in the 694th game of his career and making his 636th start when he takes the mound Wednesday. The 49-year-old has found the going rough in his last three outings (15 IP, 14 ER, 4 HR), all Colorado losses with the Rockies 1-6 in his 2012 assignments.

Colorado took two of three from Arizona in Denver back in mid-April, the first time the Rockies had won a home series from their division rivals since a sweep in Sept. 2010.

Finally, we head back to California for the series opener between the St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants. Jaime Garcia is scheduled for the visiting Redbirds in the 10:15 p.m. (ET) start, and Madison Bumgarner is slated for the Giants. This game opened as a pick 'em with the 7-run total priced -120 to the 'under.'

St. Louis might be happy to get away from home after dropping the first four games on a homestand that concluded Tuesday against the Cubs. Then again, the Cards have lost their last three series at AT&T Park, all 3-game sets, and are just 5-10 in their last 15 games in San Fran. Couple that with the fact Garcia has fared much worse on the road than at home, and Mike Matheny's bunch definitely has their work cut out for them.

Bumgarner will be trying to bounce back from a rough outing in Arizona last Friday, a 5-1 setback as $1.20 chalk that snapped a 5-game winning streak for the young hurler. He's a perfect 3-0 at home (1.74 ERA) this season, however, and has won both of his previous matchups against the Cardinals with a 2.57 ERA.

Brew Crew & 'Stros Start Series In H-Town
Ok, this might not look like a great mound matchup on the surface as the Milwaukee Brewers and Houston Astros start their second series of the year (8:05 p.m. ET). Randy Wolf and Bud Norris don't exactly take your breath away in anticipation of seeing them pitch when other bigger-named arms are also on the hill.

Wolf and Norris both come into the game off their best performances of the season, and in Norris' case, two straight solid outings. This game may be as easy as deciding who you like better when Norris faces Milwaukee's Aramis Ramirez. Oddsmakers like Norris and the Astros as $1.15 favorites, and the total started at eight with a lean to the 'over.'

Houston's offense has cooled dramatically since the hitters launched the Astros off the pad with a better than expected start to the 2012 campaign. The Astros were a great 'over' pick earlier, but had succumbed to 7-straight 'unders' entering Tuesday's series finale in Philadelphia. Wolf has always enjoyed pitching at Minute Maid Park, dating back to the short time he spent in the Astros rotation in 2008. He also beat the Astros in Milwaukee on April 24, laying priced at -160, and is coming off a no-decision last Friday in which he tossed six shutout innings.

Norris hasn't allowed an earned run in his last two starts, one against the potent Cardinals who he always controls and the other last Friday in Pittsburgh where he tossed the first six innings of a 1-0 shutout. He was beaten up by the Brewers on the road for his only loss of the season, but the Astros are 6-1 overall in his outings and 3-0 behind Norris at home.

Aramis Ramirez is off to a rather fetid start of things with the Brewers, but he's always hit the Astros well, especially in the Bayou City. Forty of A-Ram's 317 career homers are off Houston pitching, 22 of those in H-Town, and he's hit nearly .370 in this park the past three seasons.

The Brewers won two of three from the 'Stros in Milwaukee about three weeks ago, all three games going 'over' the total. Ron Roenicke's club dominated the series last year (12-3) and won the final six games played in Houston

Tokens
Preview: Cardinals (21-15) at Giants (18-17)

Game: 1
Venue: AT&T Park
Date: May 16, 2012 10:15 PM EDT

Already among elite company, Madison Bumgarner has a chance to become just the fourth pitcher in team history to win nine consecutive home starts since the Giants moved to San Francisco.

Not having to face former teammate Carlos Beltran would likely help his chances.

In a matchup of the two most recent World Series champions, the Giants open a two-game set against a St. Louis Cardinals club hoping to have Beltran back in the lineup Wednesday night in his return to San Francisco.

Bumgarner (5-2, 2.80 ERA) has been lights-out at AT&T Park dating to August, winning his last eight starts while compiling a 1.00 ERA and striking out 53 in 54 innings. While the left-hander's current run is tied with Bob Knepper and Juan Marichal for the fourth-longest since the club relocated in 1958, he can join Jack Sanford (10), Ron Bryant (10) and Billy Pierce (13) as the only players to win at least nine consecutive home outings with a victory Wednesday.

It's unclear if Bumgarner will have to worry about facing Beltran, who was held out of the Cardinals' starting lineup for the second consecutive day Tuesday. Beltran, who spent the second half last year with the Giants (18-18) before signing with St. Louis in the offseason, was batting .360 with six homers in his last six starts before sitting out.

After dropping a season-worst four in a row, reigning World Series champion St. Louis (21-15) got back on track and salvaged a two-game split with the Chicago Cubs with a 7-6, walk-off victory Tuesday. Matt Carpenter and Matt Holliday both went deep, and Yadier Molina came through with the game-winning RBI single with two outs in the ninth.

"There's going to be some loud music playing in the clubhouse, and there's going to be some crazy stuff on the plane, too," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny, who spent his last two seasons as a player with the Giants in 2005-06. "I can't tell you how proud I am about just the fight in this team. That's going to pay off."

The Cardinals have won four straight on the road but could have trouble making it five against Bumgarner, who aside from going 0-2 with a 7.20 ERA at Arizona is 5-0 with a 1.54 ERA.

He's started against the Cardinals twice - both at Busch Stadium - and won both while posting a 2.57 ERA.

Bumgarner saw his five-start winning streak come to an end with Friday's 5-1 loss to the Diamondbacks. He allowed five runs and scattered seven hits.

After going 2-1 with a 2.78 ERA in April, Jaime Garcia (2-2, 4.09) has had a rough go this month. The left-hander saw his ERA balloon to 7.71 over two starts in May after yielding five runs and nine hits over 5 2-3 innings of Friday's 9-7, 12-inning loss to Atlanta.

"I'm just frustrated, because I want to do better than just battling and staying focused," Garcia told MLB.com. "I want to go and give my team a chance to win."

A matchup against San Francisco could be just what Garcia needs to get back on track. The Tamaulipas native is 1-1 with a 1.29 ERA over three career starts against the Giants, limiting them to a .194 average.

In his only appearance against them last season, Garcia struck out a career high-tying nine over six innings of one-run ball during a 3-2, walk-off loss at AT&T Park.

San Francisco's three-game winning streak was snapped Tuesday with a 5-4 loss to Colorado. The Giants had only two hits in their season-high 17 chances with runners in scoring position.

San Francisco took five of seven from St. Louis last season, including two of three at home.

Tokens
Preview: Dodgers (24-11) at Padres (13-24)

Venue: PETCO Park
Date: May 16, 2012 6:35 PM EDT

The Los Angeles Dodgers tend to have little trouble with the San Diego Padres and giving the ball to Chris Capuano is likely to keep it that way for now.

Capuano goes for his best start to a season in his eight-year career Wednesday night when the Dodgers visit the Padres for the opener of this two-game set.

Los Angeles (24-12) has won 16 of the last 19 meetings with San Diego (13-24), including a 7-3 record at Petco Park.

That dominance has continued in 2012 with the Dodgers winning six of seven meetings. They took three of four in their season-opening series at San Diego.

Starting Capuano (5-0, 2.06) would seem to be a good way to continue that success.

The left-hander is off to his best start since winning his first five decisions over seven starts with Milwaukee in 2007. However, he went 0-10 with a 5.20 ERA in his final 18 starts that season and finished 5-12 - two of the losses coming in relief.

"That's a long time ago. It's hard to remember back that far," Capuano said.

It's been even longer since he put together a longer streak of winning decisions, going 7-0 over nine starts from June 19-July 31, 2005.

Capuano's current run has been even more impressive recently. He's won four straight starts behind a 0.65 ERA while striking out 24 in 27 2-3 innings and holding opponents to a .167 average.

"We expected that we were going to get a guy with a lot of different looks and a veteran guy who was going to give you innings and keep you in the game," manager Don Mattingly said. "He's a tough guy to scout. He's got so many different pitches, he's really hard to prepare for because you never quite know what you're going to get.

"He's been great. He's 5-0 and has given up hardly any runs. I can't say I expected that, but I always knew he had great stuff."

Capuano's stuff was on display again Friday, when he yielded one run and four hits in seven innings of a 7-3 win over Colorado. However, he may have a tougher time in Petco, where he's 0-2 with a 7.53 ERA in three starts.

He struggled there again April 7, allowing four runs and five walks in 4 2-3 innings of a 6-5 win in 11.

Capuano and the Dodgers are not afforded the luxury of having Matt Kemp in the lineup this time, leaving them without their top offensive threat.

Kemp went on the disabled list with a hamstring injury Monday, and Los Angeles appeared to miss him in Tuesday's 5-1 loss to Arizona which snapped a five-game winning streak.

Andre Ethier is a likely candidate to pick up the slack in Kemp's absence. He's hitting .448 with two homers and five RBIs in eight games, and that may continue against the Padres.

Ethier has a .357 average with six home runs and 26 RBIs in the last 24 matchups, but he's just 3 for 21 against Clayton Richard, Wednesday's scheduled starter.

Richard (1-5, 5.32) is 5-1 with a 2.63 ERA in nine career starts against the Dodgers, winning all three decisions at home with a 1.78 ERA in five starts. That includes allowing two unearned runs in seven innings of an 8-4 win April 8.

He's 0-5 with a 6.32 ERA in six starts since - all ending in San Diego defeats.

The Padres finished a five-game road trip with a 6-1 victory at Washington on Tuesday, scoring four runs in four innings against Stephen Strasburg.

Tokens
Preview: Yankees (20-15) at Blue Jays (19-17)

Venue: Rogers Centre
Date: May 16, 2012 7:07 PM EDT

The New York Yankees' Hiroki Kuroda has settled in nicely following a rocky start to the season.

After impressing in the early going, the Toronto Blue Jays' Kyle Drabek has, in contrast, had a hard time hitting his spots of late.

With Kuroda looking to build on another strong outing and Drabek hoping to avoid losing a fifth consecutive start, these AL East rivals open their season series in the first of two Wednesday night at Rogers Centre.

Signed to a one-year, $10 million deal in the offseason, Kuroda (3-4, 3.56 ERA) understandably may have needed some time to adjust after spending the previous four years with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The right-hander, however, appears to be on track and improved to 2-2 with a 2.52 ERA over his last four starts with seven innings of two-run ball during Friday's 6-2 win over Seattle.

"It's what I've been doing all my life," Kuroda, who's never faced Toronto, told MLB.com. "I really hope that I can be real consistent, and it looks like it's beginning to be like that, so I'm happy about that."

While Kuroda has compiled a 4.32 ERA in losing all three of his road starts, he could catch a break with Brett Lawrie's status uncertain.

Lawrie was ejected from Tuesday's 4-3 loss to Tampa Bay after arguing home plate umpire Bill Miller's strike three call in the ninth inning. Lawrie slammed his batting helmet to the ground during his tirade and it bounced up and hit Miller in the hip, resulting in what could be a possible suspension from the league.

"That was not my intention at all," Lawrie said. "I've never, ever done anything to go at an umpire before in my life, and I didn't mean to tonight. I apologize for that."

Losers of three straight and seven of 10, the Blue Jays (19-18) could find it difficult to get back on track behind Drabek (2-4, 3.66). Since going 2-0 with a 2.00 ERA over his first three outings, Drabek has compiled a 5.06 mark during a career-worst four-start losing streak.

Six days after yielding a season-high five runs in as many innings during a 6-2 road loss to the Angels, Drabek allowed three, four hits and four walks over 4 1-3 frames of Friday's 7-6 defeat at Minnesota.

"I'm trying to figure it out right now - really it was my two-seamer today that was just down the whole time. I had to rely on my offspeed tonight," Drabek said. "The two-seamer's always been there for me. Just tonight it wasn't ... I couldn't seem to get it up."

Drabek dropped to 0-2 and saw his ERA balloon to 7.90 over three career starts against the Yankees (20-16) after surrendering five runs, seven hits and four walks in 2 1-3 innings of a 5-4 road loss April 30, 2011.

New York is coming off a two-game split with Baltimore, falling 5-2 on Tuesday. Curtis Granderson's two-run shot - his second homer in as many days - proved to be the club's only offense.

The usually-potent Yankees, who went 1 for 9 with runners in scoring position Tuesday, have gone 2 for 25 (.080) in such situations over their last three games.

Already without Mariano Rivera (torn ACL), New York placed fill-in closer David Robertson on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a strained muscle in his left ribcage.

"We lost Mariano first. The bullpen will do whatever we have to do," said Rafael Soriano, who is expected to take over for Robertson. "Now with two guys down, it's not easy for us."

The Yankees have dropped 12 of 19 at Toronto.

Tokens
Preview: Twins (10-26) at Tigers (18-18)

Venue: Comerica Park
Date: May 16, 2012 7:05 PM EDT

Wins have been hard to come by for the Minnesota Twins this season, and especially difficult to earn against the Detroit Tigers in recent years.

They're hoping their former MVP can provide a boost.

Justin Morneau is set to come off the disabled list when Minnesota looks to avoid a 15th loss in 18 contests at Comerica Park in the opener of a two-game set Wednesday night.

The Twins (10-26) possess the majors' worst record and finished a 3-6 homestand with a 5-0 loss to Cleveland on Tuesday. They haven't won consecutive games since April 11-12, and their .235 batting average is among the worst in the AL.

Minnesota hopes Morneau can provide some help. The 2006 AL MVP hasn't played since leaving with a sore left wrist in a loss to Los Angeles on April 30.

Morneau is hitting .347 with five homers in his last 24 games versus Detroit, which has won 18 of the last 22 meetings overall while outscoring the Twins by 49 runs.

Minnesota's starting pitching staff also hasn't performed up to standards, posting a 6.38 ERA that is by far the worst in baseball.

"We have to get it done. Sure, we're not getting a lot of breaks and stuff like that, but if you start playing better baseball, breaks start going your way," manager Ron Gardenhire told the team's official website. "Right now we're not getting it done as a group. Pitching, hitting, the whole package. We're missing too many opportunities."

Nick Blackburn (1-4, 7.18 ERA) will be on the hill Wednesday hoping to help turn things around.

Blackburn finally picked up a victory in Friday's 7-6 win over Toronto, but he allowed five runs and gave up three homers in five innings in another rough outing. He had gone 0-8 with a 5.88 ERA in 13 starts since his last victory July 8 over the Chicago White Sox.

"In no way do I deserve that one," Blackburn said. "It's kinda the funny thing about starting pitcher's records."

The right-hander is 0-3 with a 10.34 ERA in his last four appearances - three starts - against the Tigers, and he hasn't fared well in his matchups with Miguel Cabrera.

The Detroit slugger is 13 for 29 (.448) with three homers off Blackburn, and he also homered in Tuesday's 10-8 win over the White Sox.

Austin Jackson and Ryan Raburn hit three-run homers in an eight-run sixth for the Tigers (18-18), who will be seeking consecutive victories for the first time since winning four straight April 15-18.

"It doesn't matter when, where or how it looks. A win's a win," Raburn said. "It's great to come back from six down and pull it out."

Rick Porcello (3-3, 5.18) will take the mound for Detroit after allowing four runs while walking three in five innings of an 11-4 loss to Oakland on Friday. He had won his previous two starts with a 2.51 ERA.

The right-hander is 5-1 with a 2.61 ERA in his last six starts against Minnesota.

Tigers closer Jose Valverde allowed two runs in the ninth Tuesday and left with lower-back tightness. Manager Jim Leyland said Valverde's status will be determined after he's examined further.

Tokens
Preview: Mariners (16-21) at Indians (20-16)

Venue: Progressive Field

The Seattle Mariners' offense has been stagnant recently, much like the last time Felix Hernandez took the mound against the Cleveland Indians.

Hernandez looks to bounce back from a rough outing when Seattle seeks its fifth victory in the last six road meetings with Cleveland in the opener of a two-game set Wednesday night.

Seattle has scored two runs or fewer in five of its last six games after falling 5-0 to Boston on Tuesday. The Mariners (16-22), whose .233 batting average is among the worst in the AL, have lost four of those contests.

Seattle has gone 6 for 72 (.083) with runners in scoring position while dropping 10 of its last 11 road games.

Ichiro Suzuki went 2 for 4 on Tuesday to raise his average to .296, but he's only hitting .206 with runners in scoring position.

"He's the one veteran guy we have in the lineup and we need him to help pick up these young kids," manager Eric Wedge told the team's official website.

Hernandez (3-2, 2.29 ERA) struck out a season-high 12 in eight scoreless innings April 19 against Cleveland, but he didn't earn a decision in a 2-1 loss. He's 2-0 with a 0.82 ERA in his last three starts against the Indians.

The right-hander, though, allowed four runs and a season-high 11 hits in a 6-2 loss to New York on Friday after he had given up four runs in his previous five starts combined.

Hernandez will look to rebound against an Indians team that took two of three at Seattle from April 17-19.

Cleveland (20-16) finds itself atop the AL Central early in the season for the second straight year, and it's coming off a two-game sweep of Minnesota after a 5-0 victory Tuesday.

Asdrubal Cabrera homered and Shin-Soo Choo added a homer and a double for the Indians, who went 3-3 on their road trip.

After a slow start, Choo is batting .302 in his last 13 games.

"He's one of our key guys in our lineup," manager Manny Acta told the team's official website. "In order for us to go anywhere, he needs to produce. That's how important he is to our lineup."

Acta's also looking for better control from scheduled starter Ubaldo Jimenez (3-3, 5.18).

Jimenez is coming off his worst outing of the season, giving up seven runs and walking five in 4 1-3 innings of a 7-5 loss to Boston on Friday. He has walked 30 - most in the majors - compared to 24 strikeouts.

"We're just working on his mechanics so he can repeat his delivery and be more consistent in the strike zone," Acta said. "He still has pretty good stuff and he can get people out."

The right-hander pitched a complete game in a 6-4 victory June 12, 2009, while with Colorado in his only career starts versus Seattle.

Johnny Damon went 0 for 3 with a walk Tuesday and is hitting .149 in 12 games since joining the Indians. The veteran, though, is 11 for 22 with a homer and four doubles off Hernandez.

Tokens
Preview: Pirates (17-18) at Nationals (22-14)

Venue: Nationals Park

The Washington Nationals still haven't lost back-to-back home games, and sending Gio Gonzalez to the mound should give them a great chance to make sure that holds true Wednesday night.

Gonzalez has given up just one run over three outings at Nationals Park, a start he'll look to continue as the Nationals and Pirates get together for the second time in a week.

Stephen Strasburg gets the most attention in the Nationals' major league-best rotation (2.55 ERA), but it's Gonzalez (4-1, 1.94) who has the staff's lowest ERA after Strasburg struggled in Tuesday's 6-1 loss to San Diego.

Gonzalez wasn't at his best Friday in Cincinnati, laboring through five innings while allowing five hits and four walks. But he held the Reds to two runs in the 7-3 win and struck out a season-high nine, including one that eventually allowed him to escape a bases-loaded jam in the fifth.

"It shows a lot from the manager that he believed in me 100 percent, and gave me an opportunity to go out there and showcase what I can do. He didn't pull me out in that situation," Gonzalez told the Nationals' official website. "He believed in me, and that shows me a lot. I want to go out there and win every game for him."

Washington has won every time Gonzalez has started in the nation's capital, and only a Brad Lidge blown save has kept him from being 3-0. Gonzalez has gone seven innings in each home outing, surrendering a run for the first time in a 7-1 victory over Philadelphia on May 5.

Opponents are hitting .114 at home against Gonzalez, who leads the majors with 10.8 strikeouts per nine innings and will be looking to run the Nats' record in D.C. to 5-0 after a loss.

Gonzalez didn't face Pittsburgh (17-19) last week at PNC Park as the Pirates took two of three. He allowed a solo homer and three other hits over six innings in his lone start against Pittsburgh while with Oakland on June 27, 2010.

Erik Bedard (2-4, 2.57) faced the Nationals (22-14) last Wednesday, but he didn't last long. The left-hander exited after one inning with back spasms, and had his scheduled Monday start pushed back two days.

He's fared well against Washington in the past, posting a 1.35 ERA and striking out 30 in 20 innings.

"Getting him back is a sigh of relief for me," pitching coach Ray Searage told the Pirates' official website.

The Nationals went with a righty-heavy approach against Bedard last week - Bryce Harper and Adam LaRoche were the only left-handed hitters in Davey Johnson's lineup - and might want to follow a similar pattern Wednesday. Right-handers are hitting .299 off Bedard, while lefties are 2 for 25 with nine strikeouts.

Washington is hitting .208 against left-handers - the second-worst mark in the NL.

The Pirates are batting .182 (16 for 88) versus lefties since May 3, but they're struggling to score regardless of which side a pitcher is coming from. Pittsburgh was held to six hits - its 11th straight game with eight or fewer - in Tuesday's 6-2 loss at Miami.

The Pirates have scored two runs or fewer in exactly half of their games.

Andrew McCutchen continues to be Pittsburgh's biggest and often only offensive threat, something the Nationals know quite well. The center fielder was 6 of 9 with two homers and three walks - half his team's total - in last week's series, while the rest of the club went 12 for 84 (.143).

McCutchen is hitting .500 (24 for 48) with four homers and a 1.516 OPS during a 13-game hitting streak versus Washington.

LaRoche is 7 for 20 with three homers in his last six games against his former team.

Tokens
Preview: Marlins (18-17) at Braves (22-14)

Venue: Turner Field
Date: May 16, 2012 7:10 PM EDT

The Atlanta Braves have climbed to the top of the NL East behind an impressive display at the plate.

While their results last month left much to be desired, the Miami Marlins appear to have found their groove in May.

With both teams surging, the Braves look to resume their recent success against the visiting Marlins as these division rivals meet for the first time this season in the opener of a two-game set Wednesday night.

The Braves (23-14) moved a half game ahead of second-place Washington with Tuesday's 6-2 victory over Cincinnati, their eighth in 11 games. Second in the NL with 196 runs scored, Atlanta is hitting .288 during its run after batting .261 in its first 26 games.

"We're a good offense," said Brian McCann, who went 2 for 3 with his team best-tying sixth homer. "Everybody battles every at-bat. Tonight was no different."

The Braves' success shouldn't come as much of a surprise to Miami (19-17), which has been outscored 81-50 in dropping 15 of 21 in this series dating to September 2010.

The Marlins, though, also enter this game on a bit of a roll. Since losing 14 of 22 in April, Miami has gone 11-3 thanks in large part to its starting rotation. Marlins starters are 6-2 with a 2.55 ERA so far this month.

"Every one of us can go out there and throw a complete game. It's fun to watch, and fun to be a part of," said Josh Johnson, who earned his first win of the season with seven strong innings in Tuesday's 6-2 victory over Pittsburgh.

It's safe to say Mark Buehrle (2-4, 2.81 ERA) has been a welcome addition to Miami's rotation, recording quality starts in all but one of his seven outings.

Six days after going the distance in a 4-1 win at San Diego, the left-hander gave up two runs and eight hits in 6 2-3 innings of Friday's 6-5, walk-off win over the New York Mets.

"Buehrle threw the ball very well," manager Ozzie Guillen told MLB.com.

Buehrle won both his career starts against the Braves while with the Chicago White Sox. He most recently surrendered a pair of runs and nine hits over six innings of a 4-2 victory June 23, 2010.

He'll be opposed by Mike Minor (2-2, 6.59), who since going 2-0 with a 1.69 ERA over a three-start stretch April 14-24 has been shelled in each of his last three outings. The left-hander has surrendered 21 runs - all earned - and seven homers over his last 16 innings, during which opponents are batting .377 against him.

Minor yielded six runs, eight hits and was taken deep a career worst-tying three times in Friday's 9-7, 12-inning victory at St. Louis.

Minor has compiled an ugly 6.46 ERA over three starts against the Marlins thanks in part to allowing four homers - two of which have come off the bat of Giancarlo Stanton.

Leading Atlanta with 28 RBIs, first baseman Freddie Freeman is expected to return to the lineup after sitting out Tuesday with a scratch on his right eye. Freeman is 2 for 28 (.071) in his last eight games against Miami.

Braves second baseman Dan Uggla, who spent the first five years of his career with the Marlins, hit four homers and drove in 10 runs in nine home games against his former team last season.

Tokens
Preview: Reds (18-16) at Mets (20-15)

Venue: Citi Field

A lack of support from the rest of the New York Mets shouldn't be new to Johan Santana.

He usually hasn't needed very much against the Cincinnati Reds.

The Mets will try to get their offense going again as Santana looks to re-establish his dominance of the Reds in the opener of this two-game set at Citi Field on Wednesday night.

Santana (1-2, 2.92 ERA) has been backed by 10 runs in seven starts this season, all of which have come in the past three while the ace has gone 1-0 with a 2.84 ERA.

The left-hander, who missed all of last year recovering from shoulder surgery, may be accustomed to a lack of production from New York. Since 2009, the two-time Cy Young Award winner has been backed by an average of 3.4 runs, the fewest of any qualifying pitcher.

He's 25-20 in that stretch despite a 3.04 ERA that's among the lowest in the NL.

New York mustered six hits in an 8-0 loss to Milwaukee on Tuesday, splitting a two-game set. The other time the Mets (20-16) were blanked this season came with Santana on the mound in a 4-0 defeat to Washington on April 11.

A rare early blip cost Santana on Friday in Miami. After giving up one first-inning run in his first six starts, Santana served up three to the Marlins before allowing nothing over the next five frames. He left without a decision in the 6-5 loss.

"We are certainly not used to somebody jumping on Johan like that," manager Terry Collins said.

Santana may not need a whole lot of production against the Reds (18-17) since he's 4-0 with a 3.16 ERA in six career starts against them. He won each of his three matchups with Cincinnati in 2009 and '10, yielding one run and 11 hits with 17 strikeouts in 21 2-3 innings.

If Santana's looking for some help at the plate Wednesday, David Wright and Daniel Murphy might be his best options.

Wright leads the majors with a .408 average and is 17 for 35 with six doubles, one homer and seven RBIs during a nine-game hitting streak. That strong stretch may continue since he's hitting .369 with three homers and 11 RBIs in his last 15 meetings with Cincinnati.

Murphy is batting .419 with five doubles while driving in nine runs in 10 career games versus the Reds. The second baseman enters this one riding a career-best 11-game hitting streak during which he's batting .455.

The Reds have hit .186 with runners in scoring position while dropping four of seven, and they've been held to three runs or fewer in six of those.

They went 1 for 8 with men on second and third in Tuesday's 6-2 loss at Atlanta.

Joey Votto didn't get a chance in that situation - he went 1 for 4 - but is hitting .407 with runners in scoring position. Votto is batting .366 overall with 10 homers in his last 19 games against the Mets, but he's just 2 for 18 in his last five visits to Flushing.

Mike Leake (0-5, 7.11) will get the ball for the Reds looking to rebound from his latest rough outing. The right-hander was pulled after surrendering six runs and seven hits - two homers - in three innings of Friday's 7-3 loss to Washington.

Leake is 0-1 with a 2.19 ERA in two starts against the Mets.

Following two games at Citi Field, Cincinnati heads to the Bronx on Friday for three with the Yankees.

Tokens
Preview: Red Sox (16-19) at Rays (22-14)

Venue: Tropicana Field

A string of impressive pitching performances is helping the Boston Red Sox make their recent struggles a distant memory.

As they seek to match their longest win streak of the season, the Red Sox will try to get a better outing from Clay Buchholz, or at least continue to provide the right-hander with some of the most generous run support in the majors Wednesday night against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Boston has outscored opponents 34-8 over its five consecutive victories and allowed only three runs over the last four of those wins. Josh Beckett, at the center of some recent controversy, threw seven innings in Tuesday's 5-0 home win over Seattle and the Red Sox's bullpen didn't allow a run for the third straight game.

Beckett was reportedly accompanied by Buchholz during a golf outing earlier this month that came one day after he was scratched from a scheduled start due to a sore muscle in his back.

Mike Aviles provided a pair of RBI doubles and David Ortiz drove in a run for a fourth consecutive game with a solo homer.

"We're going to bring some positive around here," second baseman Dustin Pedroia said. "We've been playing good so we've just got to keep it rolling."

Another lackluster outing from Buchholz (4-1, 8.31 ERA) might not help the Red Sox (17-19) in their quest to match a six-game run from April 23-28. The right-hander has the highest ERA and highest opponent batting average (.337) among qualifying major leaguers.

Buchholz, though, has also been given the most runs per nine innings in the majors (9.69) and received seven runs over his 6 1-3 innings in a 7-5 victory over Cleveland on Friday. He allowed a season-low four runs, eight hits and three walks in 6 1-3 innings.

"It still wasn't easy," Buchholz told the team's website. "Once again there were always runners on base."

Buchholz gave up five runs over seven innings to Tampa Bay on April 14 but got the win in a 13-5 rout at Fenway Park. He's 3-0 with a 2.84 ERA in his last four matchups with the Rays and 3-0 with a 2.22 ERA in his last four starts at Tropicana Field.

He might have to have a similar outing to outduel Jeremy Hellickson (3-0, 2.95), who hasn't allowed more than three runs in a start since facing Boston last month.

The right-hander, though, hasn't gotten a decision in his last three outings. He gave up three runs and five hits over 6 2-3 innings Friday in Baltimore but the Orioles rallied for a 4-3 win.

Hellickson gave up five runs over five innings while pitching opposite Buchholz on April 14 with Pedroia, Ortiz and Jarrod Saltalamacchia driving in all of those on home runs.

The Red Sox won three of four during that series but were swept in three games in their most recent visit to Tropicana, part of a September swoon that helped Tampa Bay claim the AL wild card.

The Rays (23-14) return home after winning three in a row to end an eight-game road trip after dropping six of seven. Sean Rodriguez's home run sparked a three-run seventh inning Tuesday as Tampa Bay rallied for a 4-3 win in Toronto.

"We could have easily gone 1-7 on this road trip," pitcher David Price said. "I feel like that was a pretty good road trip for us, especially with us dealing with the injuries that we're dealing with right now."

Outfielder Desmond Jennings (left knee) is among the eight players on the disabled list for Tampa Bay, including Evan Longoria whose game-ending homer Sept. 28 at Tropicana officially ended Boston's playoff hopes.

Tokens
Preview: Athletics (19-17) at Rangers (23-13)

Venue: Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Date: May 16, 2012 8:05 PM EDT

Not even the weather could stop Yu Darvish in his most recent trip to the mound, and it seems unlikely the light-hitting Oakland Athletics will either.

The Texas Rangers look to continue their dominance of the visiting A's by giving the ball to Darvish in the opener of this two-game set Wednesday night.

Darvish (5-1, 2.84 ERA) has won all three starts at Rangers Ballpark behind a 3.72 ERA, including Friday against Los Angeles after enduring a 1-hour, 56-minute rain delay following the opening inning. The right-hander surprisingly returned to continue his outing and lasted 5 1-3 innings, allowing three runs and three hits with seven strikeouts in the 10-3 victory.

"Yu pitched great. I was proud of him coming back out there and sticking it out, doing what he's got to do," center fielder Josh Hamilton said. "That says to his teammates about him as a player and a competitor to go back out and do that."

Darvish is living up to the lofty expectations that followed him from Japan. He leads the Rangers (23-14) in wins and strikeouts (51) while his ERA is the lowest of any member of the rotation.

"It looks like he comes as advertised. We're going to have to try to come up with a good plan, potentially try to take away from some of his strengths," A's manager Bob Melvin told the team's official website. "The first time around, I think, certainly is an advantage to the pitcher."

It seems Darvish is in a favorable position to improve on those numbers against the A's (19-18), who are last in the majors with a .217 average while their 298 strikeouts are among the most.

The Rangers went 13-6 against Oakland last year, winning 12 of the last 14 while holding the A's to .185 at the plate.

They've hit .161 with 28 strikeouts while dropping two of their last three. Oakland had five hits and fanned 11 times in a 4-0 defeat at Los Angeles on Tuesday.

The A's haven't had much trouble scoring lately with Tommy Milone (5-2, 3.92) on the mound. Oakland has given Milone 19 runs in his last two outings after scoring eight in his first five.

He didn't need much help Friday. Milone yielded two runs - one earned - and five hits with six strikeouts in seven innings of an 11-4 win over Detroit.

That pushed him to 3-0 with a 0.39 ERA in three home starts, but it's been a different story away from the spacious O.co Coliseum. Milone has a 7.84 ERA in four outings on the road, where he's surrendered all five of his homers.

He's never faced Texas, and now may not be the best time to get a first look at Hamilton. The 2010 AL MVP leads the majors with 18 homers and 45 RBIs, and he's batting .418 with 10 of those blasts during a 15-game hitting streak.

Hamilton is hitting .368 with six homers and 28 RBIs in 28 meetings with the A's in Arlington.

Oakland's Jemile Weeks hit .340 in 12 games against the Rangers last year.

Tokens
Preview: Phillies (18-19) at Cubs (15-21)

Venue: Wrigley Field

Because of an injury to Vance Worley, the Philadelphia Phillies' Kyle Kendrick will face the Chicago Cubs' Matt Garza for the second time this season.

The first matchup went in favor of Chicago, which isn't surprising considering Garza's success against Philadelphia.

Garza has a terrific history against the Phillies heading into Wednesday night's opener of a two-game set at Wrigley Field.

Worley will not make the trip to Chicago (15-21) due to arm soreness, with Kendrick (0-3, 7.32 ERA) taking his place. That seems to be a break for the Cubs considering Worley is 3-1 with a 2.81 ERA in his last five outings, while Kendrick has gone 0-2 with a 6.43 ERA in three 2012 starts - the last one coming May 4.

One of those outings was April 29 at Citizens Bank Park as Kendrick allowed three runs over six innings in a 5-1 loss to the Cubs.

Garza (2-1, 2.56) outdueled him by striking out a season-high 10 batters and yielding one hit over seven scoreless innings.

"I just stuck to the game plan, keep them off balance and try to get popups or ground balls," Garza said.

Garza improved to 2-1 with a 0.96 ERA in four career regular-season starts against Philadelphia (18-19). The right-hander's poorest outing against the Phillies came in Game 3 of the 2008 World Series when he surrendered four runs over six innings in a 5-4 defeat for Tampa Bay.

That Phillies lineup included stalwarts Ryan Howard and Chase Utley, who are out with injuries. Garza has enjoyed success against current regulars Jimmy Rollins (2 for 14), Placido Polanco (2 for 14) and Shane Victorino (1 for 11).

Kendrick, meanwhile, is 0-1 with a 1.80 ERA against the Cubs in three career appearances - two starts. The only Chicago hitter with more than five at_bats against him is Ian Stewart, who is 3 for 13.

The right-hander has a tough act to follow as the Phillies try to stretch their season-high win streak to four. Philadelphia starters own a 2.92 ERA for one of the majors' best marks, with each allowing one run during this win streak.

The Phillies are looking to take advantage of another struggling NL Central team after sweeping two games at home from Houston. Hunter Pence hit his second homer of the game in the bottom of the 10th inning of Tuesday's 4-3 victory to atone for an error in the ninth that allowed the Astros to tie it.

"I felt horrible that it happened," Pence said. "The team really picked me up."

Pence has five hits - no homers - in his last 32 at_bats against Chicago.

This was the longest stretch of games (37) into a season without a three-game win streak for the Phillies since 1971, when they needed 51 games.

These teams split four games April 27-30, with Cubs slugger Bryan LaHair going 7 for 15 with a homer and four doubles. Ty Wigginton was the hitting star in that series for the Phillies, going 5 for 13 with a homer.

The Cubs completed a 2-3 road trip with Tuesday's 7-6 defeat in St. Louis as Alfonso Soriano went deep for the first time. They have won six of nine at home.

Tokens
Preview: Brewers (15-20) at Astros (15-21)

Venue: Minute Maid Park

On the verge of their longest losing streak of the season, the Houston Astros might be thankful that it's Bud Norris' turn in the rotation. He might not feel the same way, however, about facing the Milwaukee Brewers or having to pitch opposite left-hander Randy Wolf.

While Wolf will seek a sixth straight win over Houston, Norris will try to help the Astros snap a four-game skid Wednesday night at Minute Maid Park.

Houston (15-21) is 2-7 in its last nine with the two victories by one run apiece. Norris (3-1, 3.95 ERA) earned one of those Friday by giving up three hits over six innings and matching a season high with eight strikeouts in Pittsburgh.

He also worked out of a bases-loaded jam in his final frame of that 1-0 victory and did the same during an 8-2 home win over St. Louis on May 5 in which he allowed only one unearned run over six innings.

"He knows he's got enough good stuff to work through that, and he did for the second time in a row," manager Brad Mills told the team's website. "We wish he wouldn't have to go through it like that, but at the same time, it's good to see him battle and tighten the screws a little bit."

Norris, though, hasn't worked himself out of too many jams against the Brewers (16-20) as he's 0-3 with a 10.13 ERA in his last three matchups. He matched a career high by giving up seven runs over 5 2-3 innings in a 9-6 loss at Miller Park on April 24.

Wolf (2-3, 5.63) was also the opposing starter in that game, and allowed two runs and four hits over six innings. The veteran left-hander is 5-0 with a 1.32 ERA in his last seven starts against Houston and has surrendered one run in each of his last two outings at Minute Maid Park, although he didn't receive a decision in either game.

He's also coming off one of his best performances of the season.

Wolf tossed six scoreless innings Friday against the Chicago Cubs but did not get a decision in an 8-7 home victory.

He'll next face a team that snapped an 11-game skid to the Brewers last month. The Astros have dropped six straight at home to their NL Central rivals and might not be at their freshest as they've played 31 innings over the last three games.

They rallied for two runs in the ninth inning Tuesday in Philadelphia but Brett Myers gave up a homer to former teammate Hunter Pence in the 10th for a 4-3 defeat.

The Brewers, meanwhile, are 4-11 in their last 15 road games, but produced an 8-0 rout at the New York Mets on Tuesday behind Travis Ishikawa's two homers and career-high five RBIs.

Rickie Weeks also snapped an 0-for-21 skid with a solo homer, and Aramis Ramirez extended his hit streak to 12 games.

Ramirez is 5 for 11 (.455) with two home runs in his career against Norris and is batting .400 in his last 17 games against the Astros. He's also 11 for 21 (.521) during a five-game hit streak in Houston.

Preview: Brewers (15-20) at Astros (15-21)

Venue: Minute Maid Park

On the verge of their longest losing streak of the season, the Houston Astros might be thankful that it's Bud Norris' turn in the rotation. He might not feel the same way, however, about facing the Milwaukee Brewers or having to pitch opposite left-hander Randy Wolf.

While Wolf will seek a sixth straight win over Houston, Norris will try to help the Astros snap a four-game skid Wednesday night at Minute Maid Park.

Houston (15-21) is 2-7 in its last nine with the two victories by one run apiece. Norris (3-1, 3.95 ERA) earned one of those Friday by giving up three hits over six innings and matching a season high with eight strikeouts in Pittsburgh.

He also worked out of a bases-loaded jam in his final frame of that 1-0 victory and did the same during an 8-2 home win over St. Louis on May 5 in which he allowed only one unearned run over six innings.

"He knows he's got enough good stuff to work through that, and he did for the second time in a row," manager Brad Mills told the team's website. "We wish he wouldn't have to go through it like that, but at the same time, it's good to see him battle and tighten the screws a little bit."

Norris, though, hasn't worked himself out of too many jams against the Brewers (16-20) as he's 0-3 with a 10.13 ERA in his last three matchups. He matched a career high by giving up seven runs over 5 2-3 innings in a 9-6 loss at Miller Park on April 24.

Wolf (2-3, 5.63) was also the opposing starter in that game, and allowed two runs and four hits over six innings. The veteran left-hander is 5-0 with a 1.32 ERA in his last seven starts against Houston and has surrendered one run in each of his last two outings at Minute Maid Park, although he didn't receive a decision in either game.

He's also coming off one of his best performances of the season.

Wolf tossed six scoreless innings Friday against the Chicago Cubs but did not get a decision in an 8-7 home victory.

He'll next face a team that snapped an 11-game skid to the Brewers last month. The Astros have dropped six straight at home to their NL Central rivals and might not be at their freshest as they've played 31 innings over the last three games.

They rallied for two runs in the ninth inning Tuesday in Philadelphia but Brett Myers gave up a homer to former teammate Hunter Pence in the 10th for a 4-3 defeat.

The Brewers, meanwhile, are 4-11 in their last 15 road games, but produced an 8-0 rout at the New York Mets on Tuesday behind Travis Ishikawa's two homers and career-high five RBIs.

Rickie Weeks also snapped an 0-for-21 skid with a solo homer, and Aramis Ramirez extended his hit streak to 12 games.

Ramirez is 5 for 11 (.455) with two home runs in his career against Norris and is batting .400 in his last 17 games against the Astros. He's also 11 for 21 (.521) during a five-game hit streak in Houston.

Tokens
Preview: Orioles (22-14) at Royals (14-20)

Venue: Ewing M. Kauffman Stadium
Date: May 16, 2012 8:10 PM EDT

If the Kansas City Royals had any lingering memories from last month's 12-game losing streak, their play of late should put those completely out of mind.

Coming off two impressive wins over one first-place team, the Royals look to continue their best stretch of the season against another Wednesday night when they host the Baltimore Orioles.

The season appeared to be slipping away from the Royals when they matched the third-longest losing streak in team history April 11-24 and fell to 3-14. But a surprising turnaround has followed and Kansas City (15-20) enters this two-game series with a season-high four straight wins and 12 in the last 18 contests.

After taking two of three from the White Sox, the Royals finished their road trip with two games against West-leading Texas. Kansas City's pitchers were able to keep the AL's most potent offense in check, limiting the Rangers to five runs en route to the team's first two-game sweep of Texas since 1977.

"To come in here and win two games is big for us,' manager Ned Yost said. "Our pitching has been pretty good. That shows you how good.'

While an ERA of 1.50 is the biggest reason for the team's four-game run, the hitters have also done their share by going 14 for 38 (.369) with runners in scoring position.

Leading the offense has been Mike Moustakas, who homered and reached base in his 22nd straight game in Tuesday's 7-4 win. He's batting .369 (24 for 65) during that stretch.

Baltimore (23-14) completed a challenging stretch against the Yankees, Boston, Texas and Tampa Bay with a 9-6 record after Tuesday night's 5-2 victory over New York. Wei-Yin Chen pitched seven strong innings and Adam Jones hit his team-best 11th home run to help the Orioles stay tied with the Rays atop the AL East.

"It started with our pitching,' Jones said. "Chen halted that lineup and gave us an opportunity.'

Much of Baltimore's surprising success can be attributed to its play on the road, where it is 11-5 - a major league-best .687 winning percentage. The Orioles are seeking their first six-game win streak away from home since Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2004.

J.J. Hardy had five hits in the team's most recent road game and is batting .409 (18 for 44) with five homers and nine RBIs in his last 10 contests overall.

Jones is 18 for 50 (.360) during an 11-game hitting streak against the Royals.

This series features two of the league's best bullpens.

Orioles relievers rank second in the league in ERA (2.28) and closer Jim Johnson is 12 for 12 in save opportunities, yielding one run in 16 2-3 innings. Kansas City's bullpen has compiled a 1.04 ERA with 29 strikeouts in 26 innings over the last seven games.

Tommy Hunter (2-2, 5.14 ERA) gets another chance to establish himself in Baltimore's rotation. Recalled from Triple-A Norfolk on Thursday to pitch on three days' rest, the right-hander allowed four runs and five hits over six innings in a 7-3 loss to Texas.

Since pitching very well in consecutive starts at the end of April, Hunter has been roughed up for nine runs and 13 hits in two outings this month spanning 10 1-3 innings. He's 0-1 with a 9.56 ERA in three road starts, giving up seven homers in 16 frames.

Hunter won his only career start against the Royals on Sept. 1, 2010, while with Texas.

Felipe Paulino (1-1, 3.09) makes his third start of the season for Kansas City. After pitching six scoreless innings to beat the Yankees in his season debut, the right-hander gave up four runs and seven hits over 5 2-3 innings in a 5-0 loss to the White Sox on Friday.

Tokens
Preview: Diamondbacks (15-21) at Rockies (13-21)

Venue: Coors Field
Date: May 16, 2012 8:40 PM EDT

Wins haven't been very plentiful lately for the Arizona Diamondbacks or the Colorado Rockies, but the two teams are each coming into this series off a victory.

Judging by Jamie Moyer's recent struggles, the visiting Diamondbacks might have a good chance to start their first winning streak in a little more than two weeks Wednesday night.

Arizona (16-21) is 3-10 over its last 13 but won 5-1 in Los Angeles on Tuesday as Justin Upton, Miguel Montero and Jason Kubel all singled in runs during the fifth inning.

"Guys have been loose, even though we've been going through tough times, and tonight we got rewarded with some results," manager Kirk Gibson said.

Colorado had dropped nine of 10 before beating San Francisco 5-4 on Tuesday thanks to Marco Scutaro's tiebreaking home run in the ninth after his team blew a three-run lead. Troy Tulowitzki also went 2 for 5 and drove in a run one night after being hit by a foul ball from teammate Dexter Fowler while standing on the top step of the dugout.

"Losing is no fun," Scutaro said. "It gets tired real quickly. Hopefully this will spark us."

The Rockies (14-21) will seek their first win streak since a three-game run April 17-20 when they welcome the Diamondbacks and try to help the 49-year-old Moyer (1-3, 4.66 ERA) get back on track.

The left-hander became the oldest player to win a major league game April 17 when he allowed two unearned runs over seven innings to San Diego, but has struggled since.

Moyer is 0-1 with a 6.43 ERA in his last four outings and has an 8.40 ERA in his last three. He gave up five runs over five innings Friday in Los Angeles while being handed his first defeat since April 12.

"It is frustrating, but that's the game of baseball," Moyer said. "It's a pitch here, a pitch there, a hitter here, a hitter there, a base hit ... it can change a game. It can allow a mediocre game to be a mediocre game, a decent game to turn into a poor game or a decent game to turn into a really good game."

The 25-year veteran will make his 636th start against Patrick Corbin (2-1, 4.50), who will be making his fourth. The 22-year-old left-hander gave up a solo homer and two singles over seven innings in Friday's 5-1 win over San Francisco.

"One thing coming into today, I wanted to attack the hitters," he told the team's official website.

Corbin, who split his first two starts while posting a 7.00 ERA, will make his first start against a Colorado team that's batting .282 and scoring 6.5 runs per game at home. The Rockies are hitting .219 with 3.2 runs per contest away from Denver.

Moyer is 3-0 with a 0.92 ERA in his last three games against the Diamondbacks but hasn't faced them since Aug. 18, 2009.

Arizona hasn't earned back-to-back victories since a three-game win streak April 29-May 1.

Tokens
Preview: White Sox (17-20) at Angels (15-21)

Venue: Angel Stadium of Anaheim
Date: May 16, 2012 10:05 PM EDT

With one of his best showings at the plate this season, Albert Pujols took another step toward ending his early season struggles.

The high-priced first baseman, though, will have to continue that work and try to rediscover his power with a new hitting coach when the Los Angeles Angels begin a two-game set against the visiting Chicago White Sox on Wednesday night.

Pujols is 8 for 25 (.320) since seeing his average drop to .190 on May 8 and went 3 for 4 with two RBIs in a 4-0 win over Oakland on Tuesday. While he boosted his average to .212 with his second three-hit game of the season, the three-time NL MVP also went without an extra-base hit in an eighth straight contest as he had all infield singles.

Pujols has 15 hits over the last 23 games but with just one double and his lone home run of the season May 6 against Toronto.

His struggles and the Angels' lackluster showings at the plate during their 16-21 start played a part in Mickey Hatcher's dismissal following Tuesday's victory.

Los Angeles is hitting .272 over its last 13 games but has also been blanked four times over that stretch. The Angels have endured a major league-worst eight shutouts already this season and their 134 runs are among the fewest in the AL.

"Sometimes in the sports world a point is reached where perhaps a new voice is needed in order to attain the desired goals and objectives. Unfortunately, we feel this is one of those times," general manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement. "Offensively, we have underachieved, and everyone shares in the responsibility."

Jim Eppard is being promoted from Triple-A Salt Lake to take Hatcher's spot on the staff and will try to help jump-start his new team against a White Sox club that's given up a combined 29 runs and 47 hits while dropping three of four.

Chicago (17-20) gave up eight runs in the sixth inning of a 10-8 home loss to Detroit on Tuesday with reliever Will Ohman allowing the tiebreaking three-run homer.

"Obviously the momentum changed pretty quickly," said Ohman, who was charged with a season-high four runs. "I didn't do what I needed to do."

Another strong outing from Gavin Floyd (3-3, 2.53 ERA) might help the White Sox, losers in 14 of 21, get back in the win column. The right-hander is 2-0 with a 1.27 ERA in his last three starts and pitched a season-high 7 2-3 innings in a 5-0 win over Kansas City on Friday.

"I'm really honestly just trying to be aggressive with whatever I'm throwing," Floyd said. "I'm trying to simplify things, go out there and attack guys."

Floyd is 1-2 with a 6.00 ERA in his last three games against the Angels but gave up one run over seven innings in the lone win July 5, 2010.

He's 0-2 with a 5.54 ERA in his two all-time starts in Anaheim and the White Sox are 2-6 in their last eight versus the Angels after winning seven straight matchups.

Jerome Williams (3-1, 4.19) will try to add to those struggles while regaining the form he showed before an impromptu relief appearance in Friday's 10-3 loss to Texas.

The right-hander gave up six runs over 6 2-3 innings after a rain delay forced C.J. Wilson out of the game. Williams is 3-0 with a 2.15 ERA in his last four starts.

Tokens
Diamond Trends - Wednesday

May 16, 2012

SU TREND OF THE DAY:

The Rangers are 11-0 since June 20, 2011 at home after a loss and it is the first game of the series for a net profit of $1100.

OU TREND OF THE DAY:

The Rays are 0-16 OU since April 14, 2011 as a favorite after a one run win in a night game for a net profit of $1600 when playing the under.

STARTER TREND OF THE DAY:

The Mets are 10-0 since April 23, 2008 when Johan Santana starts as a favorite after giving up no walks for a net profit of $1000.

MLB BIBLE TREND OF THE DAY:

The Cardinals are 17-0-1 OU (3.1 rpg) since August 4, 2007 after a game yesterday which was tied on exactly three separate occasions.

TODAY’S TRENDS:

The Cardinals are 6-0 since May 12, 2011 when Jaime Garcia starts after throwing more than 100 pitches for a net profit of $600.

The Diamondbacks are 11-0 OU since June 24, 2011 on the road after a win in which they allowed 1 or fewer walks for a net profit of $1100 when playing the over.

Tokens
Red Sox aim for 6th straight win Wednesday

BOSTON RED SOX (17-19)

at TAMPA BAY RAYS (23-14)

First pitch: Wednesday, 7:10 p.m. EDT
Line: Tampa Bay -140, Boston +130, Total: 8½

The Red Sox will look to continue their climb out of the AL East cellar, beginning a two-game series against the division-leading Rays.

After a dreadful start to the season, the Red Sox have found their groove, winning five straight games, including the past four by a combined score of 27-3. Clay Buchholz takes the hill for Boston in this one, having started the winning streak last week. Although he has a 4-1 record on the season, 2012 is not treating the young right-hander favorably with an 8.31 ERA and 1.97 WHIP in seven starts. He has just been the beneficiary of incredible run support as the Boston lineup is averaging 8.3 runs per start when he’s on the mound. Facing the Rays is always good news for him though—in nine career starts against Tampa Bay he is 5-2 with a 2.38 ERA and 1.11 WHIP, with opponents hitting a mere .197 off him. Jeremy Hellickson takes the hill for the Rays with a 3-0 record and 2.95 ERA in 2012. His worst start of the year came on April 14, facing none other than Buchholz and the Red Sox, when he gave up five runs in as many innings in a no-decision loss, while Buchholz gave up five runs in seven innings for the win. Those struggles reflect Hellickson’s career difficulties with the Red Sox, sporting a 4.99 career ERA and 1.47 WHIP against them. As underdogs, play on BOSTON to extend its winning streak in this one.

This three-star FoxSheets trend also favors the Red Sox:

Play On - Any team (BOSTON) - with a starting pitcher whose WHIP is 1.900 or worse on the season-AL, where team's hitters strike out 7 or more times/game on the season. (44-26 since 1997.) (62.9%, +29.2 units. Rating = 3*).

Although Boston’s rotation has struggled, the bullpen has been picking up the slack. Red Sox relievers have a 3.86 ERA on the season, a mark that improves to 3.21 in away games, a good sign for these road underdogs. And, despite Boston’s early-season struggles, it is 3-1 against Tampa Bay this season, outscoring the Rays 31-12 in that four-game set at Fenway Park from April 13-16. Buchholz is coming off his best outing of the year, holding Cleveland to three earned runs in 6.1 innings last Friday. If Buchholz can build upon this facing a familiar opponent without its best player (Evan Longoria, hamstring injury), the Red Sox offense should be able to do the rest of the work. Boston ranks among the majors’ top-four teams in runs (199, 2nd), batting average (.276, 3rd), on-base percentage (.339, 4th), and slugging (.460, 4th). Play on them.

The Rays have also been supported by a stellar bullpen, especially at home where they have a 1.81 ERA and 1.01 WHIP. Hellickson’s start against Boston was easily his worst of the season so far, not giving up more than three runs in any other start. The one spot of concern for Hellickson has to be that he doesn’t fan batters, with 29 strikeouts and 16 walks this season. He has also allowed eight home runs already. Homers and walks could be a problem against Boston’s big bats who take advantage of every opportunity they get. Avoid this home favorite.

Tokens
Wednesday's betting tips: Perkins a GTD for Thunder

Weather to watch

Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox – 21 mph winds are expected to blow out to left-centerfield.

Cleveland Indians at Minnesota Twins – 19 mph winds are expected to blow out to right-centerfield.

Who’s hot

NBA: Celtics are 9-3-1 ATS in their last 13 road games.

NBA: The over is 4-1 in the Thunder's last five overall.

NHL: The under is 8-1-7 in the Rangers' last 16 overall.

MLB: Dodgers are 20-6 in the last 26 meetings with San Diego.

Who’s not

NBA: 76ers are 2-6 ATS in their last eight home games.

NBA: Lakers are 1-5 ATS in their last six road games.

NHL: Devils are 1-4 in the last five games at Madison Square Garden.

MLB: The Cardinals are 1-5 in Jaime Garcia's last six road starts.

Key stat

4 – New York Rangers goaltender Hernrik Lundqvist has faced 23 or fewer shots in each of the team’s last four games. New York is 3-1 in those games, including the 21-save shutout Lundqvist pitched in Monday’s 3-0 win over New Jersey.

Injury that shouldn’t be overlooked

Carlos Beltran, St. Louis Cardinals – Beltran sat out his second straight game Tuesday with some soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee. The outfielder is off to a great start this season with 13 homers, 32 RBI and a .295 batting average.

Game of the day

Boston Celtics at Philadelphia 76ers (-2, 172.5)

Notable quotable

“Another thing I've always said about K.G. is that he exerts so much energy in how he plays that sometimes when he got to the fourth quarter he would be tired. It's like a car. You've got so much gas, and if you're going to drive a thousand miles and you drive at a higher speed early, you're not going to have as much gas at the end. And I think Doc (Rivers) and their staff have done a phenomenal job as far as monitoring his time. And by doing that I think he's been able to have more left in the tank at the end of games." – Former Timberwolves coach and current Boston Celtics consultant Flip Saunders on Kevin Garnett. K.G. is averaging 19.5 points and 10.8 rebounds per game in the playoffs.

Notes and tips

Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins is set as a game-time decision for Game 2 against the Los Angeles Lakers. He was battling an ongoing hip issue and aggravated the injury in Game 1’s win, exiting the contest early in the third quarter. Perkins, Oklahoma’s main man to guard Andrew Bynum, had four points, one rebound and two blocks before leaving the opening game of the series. Bynum posted 20 points, 14 rebounds and a block for the Lakers.

Minnesota Twins DH Justin Morneau is expected to rejoin the lineup Wednesday after a stint on the DL with a sore wrist. He had four homers and nine RBIs to go along with a .230 batting average when he hit the shelf on May 7.

Maurice Jones-Drew wasn't in attendance as Jaguars organized team activities began Tuesday. The Jacksonville Jaguars were not expecting the NFL leading rusher in 2011 to attend the voluntary portion of the offseason program, but first-year coach Mike Mularkey indicated a direct message was being sent to the organization. "It's all voluntary," Mularkey said. "I wish he was here. He knows we wish he was here. He's talked about trying to get an extension for his contract."

Tokens
Armadillo: Wednesday's six-pack

The Las Vegas Hilton is now called LVH since Hilton sold the property; here is a brief synopsis of my 8-day stay there........

-- Little bit isolated off the strip, but the monorail is good when it works and the staff at LVH is really helpful.

-- Sportsbook is tremendous; big, comfortable chairs, superior deli with lot of good food. Watching games there is top-flight.

-- There is an Elvis impersonator who does shows there who had them lined up all over the place for his show Sunday night.

-- Most showers in Las Vegas hotels are tremendous; this one was awful. Terrible water pressure, which got little bit better the last day.

-- Food in the Paradise Cafe was very good and they gave you a lot of it.

-- The bar by the craps table is open 24/7. Some very interesting people are there are 4am. Trust me on this.

Armadillo: Wednesday's List of 13: Mid-week thoughts as I settle back in....

13) Miami Heat is now 4-6 without Chris Bosh this season, losing 78-75 at home to Indiana, going 1-16 behind the arc. Series heads to Indiana 1-1.

12) You look at the relatively-obscure Pacer roster and realize that other than Leandro Barbosa, most of the Pacers played a lot of college ball. Not sure if it makes them more mature, more fundamentally sound or both.

11) There's a scapegoat in Anaheim, as Halos fired 13-year batting coach Mickey Hatcher, silently but loudly blaming him for the club's dismal start. Guess he didn't mesh well with Albert Pujols. Thats not good.

10) Phillies are a combined 4-9 in Halladay/Lee starts. Surprising.

9) Even worse, Giants are 2-6 when Tim Lincecum starts.

8) Then there is Derek Lowe, who is 6-1, 2.05 for Cleveland; he blanked the horrendous Twins Tuesday with a 127-pitch complete game, striking out no one, and getting only one miss on 48 Cleveland swings. Tribe put 29 balls in play, only got six hits, with 22 ground ball outs.

7) We quoted our new friend Tony the Cabbie up above; he must have been happy Tuesday, with Konerko/Pierzynski going 8-9 for the White Sox. He has both those guys on his fantasy league team. I'd tell you more about him, but Tony is a Cuban immigrant and I only understood about 40% of what he was saying to me. Terrific guy, though. Knows his baseball.

6) There is a golf course in Summerlin called Angel Park, and you can golf there at night- they've got lights. Arnold Palmer designed the course.

5) Some publicity-seeking jackass wrote an article this week saying that Tony Romo is a top 5 QB in the NFL. Let me see, that means, out of the group of QBs below, he has to be better than two of them, plus everyone else in the league:

Brady/both Mannings/Roethlisberger/Rodgers/Brees/Rivers. No way.

4) The casino at the M Resort is almost too nice; its pretty far from the Strip, and it is gorgeous. I felt guilty sitting at the bar, like I wasn't dressed well enough (I live in cargo pants/Adidas hightops). You can bet on any game in the NFL season (except Week 17) right now. We'll be talking about that more as the spring moves on and training camp approaches.

3) Butler and VCU are off to the Atlantic 14, replacing Temple/Charlotte. Temple will be a big loss for that league. A-14 is a weird league, far-flung and without a great TV contract. Interesting to see how Butler/VCU do in noving up in class from their previous leagues.

2) Only three weeks until the Phil Steele College Football magazine hits the newsstands. Can't wait; its the bible of college football.

1) It is 6:45am as I finish this up; time to hit the hay after flying home late Tuesday night. Vacations are excellent/necessary; coming home is good, but nothing screws up my sleep patterns more than eight days in the desert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com