The Cat's MLB Over/Under Bets & Detailed Writeups - June 12, 2012 - YTD: 163-155-15

Search
Tokens
2012 MLB O/U Record: 163-155-15, -$1,135
2011 MLB O/U Record: 366-270-42, +$1,104

Days like yesterday can really snow ball, so as a result, I’ll be taking it a little easier today, since your mindset gets all messed up after a day you had three big bets, should have won two of them, but instead, somehow ended up with nothing to show for it. Case in point: Could not have been any more right on my best bet Richards vs Capuano over 7 in Los Angeles last night, as Garrett Richards expectedly displayed nothing from his successful first start, in surrendering five hits and five walks in only five innings of work. Luckily for him, the Dodgers’ usually efficient lineup continually bailed him out with double play balls, untimely strike outs (Especially from Andre Ethier. Just my luck), and even an unusual fluke play that rarely happens (Bobby Abreu’s two-out single with first and second HAD to happen on a double-steal attempt, so the ball hit Dee Gordon as he was about to round third and score, thus ending the inning. Only me), stranding a large village onthe basepaths throughout the game in the process. Chris Capuano was even WORSE, getting pounded for eight hits and four walks in only five innings (Which is a BOLD prediction I made and should have been rewarded for), but the Angels, much like their opponents, bailed him out with various double play balls and inefficient production, leaving lots of baserunners on as well. In scenarios like that, where each starting pitcher struggles mightily with a line as low as 7, the over hits 99-percent of the time. Just my luck.

And, of course, I can’t forget my Jackson vs Morrow under 8, which actually ended up being Jackson vs Blue Jays relievers under, since Brandon Morrow injured himself at the very beginning of the game and left after only ONE batter. Should this even count on my record? It wasn’t even the correct pitching matchup that I was 100-percent right on, considering Edwin Jackson held up his end of the deal in hurling a tremendous eight-inning, two-run gem, meaning we absolutely would have UNQUESTIONABLY won the under if Morrow didn’t get injured. The worst part is… I HAD THIS WON… it was 6-1 in the bottom of the ninth with TWO OUTS, when Sean Burnett and his LESS THAN 1 ERA served up a MEANINGLESS TWO-RUN PINCH HIT HOME RUN TO.220-HITTING YAN GOMES. Are you kidding me? How many ninth-inning pinch-hit home runs can have cost me an under this year? It was only a week and a half ago when the same thing happened with Carlos Gomez! Unbelievable. My bad luck this year is re-writing history and it is truly unbelievable. But I just move on and try to forget it…

**Dollar Amounts To Be Posted Later Leading Up To Gametime**

SanD iego Padres @ Seattle Mariners
Clayton Richard vs Felix Hernandez
UNDER 6.5

It’s a shame the over/under for this game isn’t 7, which is what I was hoping for, considering both pitchers simply have not been at the top of their games this year. Felix Hernandez, for example, has given up four runs or more in four of his past five starts. I believe that’s a first in the career of the great King Felix, or at least the first instance of such in a long time. Luckily for him, though, he has a wonderful opportunity to get back on track, drawing a delicious home matchup against the usually offensively-inept San Diego Padres.This is good for a variety of reasons: One, Hernandez has always been better at home, especially this year when his split stats (1.95 ERA and 1.03 WHIP at home compared to a 4.63 ERA and 1.46 WHIP on the road) are as glaring as ever. Secondly, the Mariners’ ace, despite the inconsistencies of interleague play, has always been stifling against the lowly Padres, making eight starts against them throughout his career, in registering a 4-2 mark with a 3.07 ERA and 1.11 WHIP, to go along with 58 Ks in 55 IP. Other than Carlos Quentin, who actually does give San Diego its most legitimacy on offense in years, these are still the same old Padres who have trouble manufacturing runs, and considering King Felix will be extra motivated to get out of this slump he’s in, we should see him in top form, especially from a mental standpoint. Top pitchers are hungrier than usual when they’re trying to break out of a string of uncharacteristic pitching.

While Felix Hernandez is obviously the more dependable factor here in trying to nail this under, that doesn’t mean Clayton Richard won’t hold up his end of the bargain in trying to help us as well. Richard hasn’t been at stingy as he has been in recent years, but he’s still shown shades of his old self, albeit in flashes throughout 2012. His 2-7 record is surely among the worst in all of baseball, and his 4.58 ERA and 1.32 WHIP have “mediocre” written all over it, but he’s had some real encouraging outings, like limiting the Diamondbacks’ hot offense to one run over almost seven innings less than two weeks ago. His split stats point to him being significantly better at home, but that doesn’t mean he’s been completely off on the road, as it was only a few weeks ago where he went into St. Louis and shutdown the Cardinals’ top-ranked lineup over seven-plus innings in issuing only acouple of runs. The Mariners are one of the worst teams against left-handed pitching, batting an ugly .234, so hopefully that’s a stat that rears itself in tonight’s contest, allowing Richard to get back on track like he’s capable of. The bottom line is he’s better than his 2012 stats might lead you to believe.

Other 6/12 MLB Over/Unders I’m Taking:
Zack Greinke vs Luis Mendoza OVER 8/8.5 (Waiting to see if the line drops to 8, as this game could be 6-2. Greinke has been mostly outstanding this year, but returning to his former home of Kansas City, I think his mindset gets thrown off a little bit, considering the mental issues he was going through that sidelined him years ago for a full year and almost derailed his career. Meanwhile, Luis Mendoza has looked nothing like the Luis Mendoza that came on strong at the end of last year. With a DH in the lineup, the Brewers can easily get to him)

**Will Add More Over/Under(s) Throughout Day Leading Up To Gametime**

Tokens
Start picking more OVERs. You are clearly getting "screwed OVER" (literally) on UNDERs.

Tokens
Cat, don't mean any ill will towards you, but I have never seen someone hang onto losses like you do. A loss is a loss whether if it happens in the 1st inning or 9th inning. I know bad breaks happen, but that's part of the game. There is essentially zero difference in Gomes hitting a homer to blow your under in the 9th with 2 outs, and you needing Abreu to drive in that run with 2 outs in the to get your over. Those are the same things. They play 9 innings. These guys are pros, and I highly doubt the majority of them mail it in even if they believe the game is out of reach. There is no such thing as a "right side loser." You can't expect to go undefeated every night. It's ok to admit you are wrong and chalk it up as loss. No such thing as a refund. Maybe a little more analysis and a little less whining would do you some good. I enjoy reading your game and pitcher break downs, but it is pointless to type up an essay trying to justify losses. I'm not trying to be a dick towards you. Just some thoughts. GL.

Tokens
My 7 o'clock games...

Buchholz vs Buehrle OVER 8 - $29 for $25
Young vs Cobb UNDER 8 - $23 for $20

Tokens
GL Cat. Im seeing Reyes hit a leadoff triple and didnt score. Bad omen in that one. Any thoughts why Schrezer vs Maholm is only 8? They are both pretty gas cannish(if thats a word)

Tokens
GL Cat. Im seeing Reyes hit a leadoff triple and didnt score. Bad omen in that one. Any thoughts why Schrezer vs Maholm is only 8? They are both pretty gas cannish(if thats a word)

I know the wind is blowing in but not significant enough to justify in making the line 8. I actually had a vibe on the under as well but won't be taking it due to how low it is

Tokens
And here are my 8 o'clock games...

Greinke vs Mendoza OVER 8.5 - $39 for $35
Quintana vs Wainwright UNDER 8.5 - $24 for $20
Kennedy vs Lewis OVER 9.5 - $15 for $15

Tokens
Cats, I enjoy reading your write-ups and without a doubt you have a strong feel of the game. I was wondering if you have thought about flat betting your plays? I noticed that you have a net of +8 wins and yet you are down $1,135 I would think if you where to wager the same amount on all your plays that you might be down alot less or around even. Just a thought, continue doing what you do and good luck.

Tokens
Agree nojuice. Last year almost 100 games over .500 but only up 1k...would be alot more if flat bet.

Tokens
I've been at work all day so let me address some of today's feedback...

Cat, don't mean any ill will towards you, but I have never seen someone hang onto losses like you do. A loss is a loss whether if it happens in the 1st inning or 9th inning. I know bad breaks happen, but that's part of the game. There is essentially zero difference in Gomes hitting a homer to blow your under in the 9th with 2 outs, and you needing Abreu to drive in that run with 2 outs in the to get your over. Those are the same things. They play 9 innings. These guys are pros, and I highly doubt the majority of them mail it in even if they believe the game is out of reach. There is no such thing as a "right side loser." You can't expect to go undefeated every night. It's ok to admit you are wrong and chalk it up as loss. No such thing as a refund. Maybe a little more analysis and a little less whining would do you some good. I enjoy reading your game and pitcher break downs, but it is pointless to type up an essay trying to justify losses. I'm not trying to be a dick towards you. Just some thoughts. GL.

Wow, Another day where you lost and it was all bad breaks. Maybe try a rabbits foot

Seriously man, it's getting wayyyyyy too old!

Lol I know it's getting old! But that's exactly my point! This weird, bizarre stuff isn't supposed to be happening so frequently! That's all I'm trying to emphasize. Is it annoying? I'm sure it is. If I was a reader on these boards and there was someone like me who constantly whined and complained about certain losses, I might be annoyed also.

But please understand, as I'm sure all of you do, I am incredibly, incredibly, incredibly passionate about MLB Over/Unders. It's obviously ridiculous for someone to say they are the most of something in the country, or something like that, but I truly believe that when it comes to these beloved baseball over/unders, there is no one more dedicated or passionate than I am. At this point, you all can tell that I'm for real - I'm not just some message board poster pulling your leg; I'm a real person who has invested so much emotion, effort, and hard work into these types of bets that it has almost become sort of part of me (Lame thing to say, I know. But if you knew me personally, you'd understand that easier), which is how I've managed to stay sane while contributing these 1,000-word articles literally every single day of the season. Thus, I take this stuff to heart. After the success I greatly enjoyed last year, arguably the greatest accomplishment of my life, I truly thought I could exceed it, which is why I've been making bigger bets this year, and it just continually frustrates me when this fluke stuff (Such as the Yan Gomes two-out, pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the ninth inning off Sean Burnett. Stuff like that isn't supposed to happen consistently!)

Stax, you are fully entitled to your opinion. When it comes to gambling, there is obviously no correct exact technique or mindset, otherwise we'd be all rich if one were to exist. But I completely disagree with your notion that "a loss is a loss whether it happens in the first or ninth inning." For regular bets, that might be true, as I don't study those so I can't comment on that. But, when it comes to over/unders, that is not the case at all. For example, let me bust out an over/under I had from 2009 as the finest example I can think of off the top of my head: There was a Giants/Rockies game in Colorado (I remember Barry Zito was one of the starters, don't remember the other starter off the top of my head) and the game was 1-1 in the ninth inning. I had the under of 9 so you figure there was no way you could lose in extra innings... well, somehow, it happened, as the Giants scored three in the top of the 13th (I believe it was) before the Rockies surged with five runs, including a walk-off grand slam from Ryan Spilborghs, to complete a wild 6-4 game. Is that a "loss" where I was wrong? Absolutely not. Both starters produced real quality outings that led it to being 1-1 in the ninth, but bizarre circumstances occurred that caused me to lose. Doesn't mean I was wrong, though; absolutely not.

Now while that's as extreme bad luck as you can get in an under, there have been a lot of instances this year somewhat similar to that occurence, and happening so frequently that it's completely noticable. I continually complain about it as a way to point this unlikely stuff out BECAUSE it's happening like no other year that it just makes it so frustrating. Let's look again at last night's Garrett Richards vs Chris Capuano matchup. Whoever took the under made the wrong bet, clearly. If you took the under, you solely did it because you thought either one or both Richards and Capuano would have a good night or at least have some kind of quality start. Neither of that happened, as Richards was pounded for five hits and five walks in five innings, while Capuano fared even worse in allowing eight hits and four walks over five innings. By that merit, you're supposed to have no chance if you took the under, because you only took it based on a positive vibe from the scheduled starting pitchers, which they both did not provide. It was luck that the under hit in that specific game.

Do bad breaks happen? Of course they do. That's baseball, breaks are part of the game. BUT, when they keep happening almost every night, and you're not getting any generous breaks in return (Which I point out in the rare instance that I do receive them), that's when it gets ridiculous, which is why I keep complaining. That's all I try to stress in continually pointing them out, because I, as well as I'm sure most people, have experienced nothing like this in any other year and it truly is unbelievable.

Tokens
Cats, I enjoy reading your write-ups and without a doubt you have a strong feel of the game. I was wondering if you have thought about flat betting your plays? I noticed that you have a net of +8 wins and yet you are down $1,135 I would think if you where to wager the same amount on all your plays that you might be down alot less or around even. Just a thought, continue doing what you do and good luck.

Agree nojuice. Last year almost 100 games over .500 but only up 1k...would be alot more if flat bet.

Thank you for the kind words, nojuice. It's feedback like this that keeps me going and I'm glad you enjoy my write-ups.

As for the issue of flat betting plays, I've thought about it before, as my friend brought it up to me last year, considering I would have literally made thousands of more dollars last year had I gone through with that (At $100 a victory, while losing $110 per loss, would have made over $6,000). However, it's just not for me. While that might not make sense to some of you, betting is all mindset. I truly believe if I had gone through with that idea last year, I would not have been nearly successful, in terms of my win-loss record, as I was last year.

In other words, say there's a day where I go 1-1. In this example, we'll see the game I lost was a game I barely had a vibe on, whereas the game I won would be something I felt very strongly about and would want to make one of my bigger bets of the year. Since betting is all mentality, how would that make me feel? I don't know about the rest of you but I would feel incredibly deflated, so much so that it could potentially snow ball and ruin my mindset going into the next day, knowing that I wasn't properly rewarded for my hard work from the day before, having made no money from that specific example. I mean, I could be wrong. Flat betting could be something that works out at the end of the day but I'm just such a creature of habit that I just stick with the technique that I've always had.

Some people have brought this up to me and I appreciate you bringing it up to me also, as well as the positive feedback. Who knows? It's something I might consider if this type of up-and-down season continues.

Tokens
Think you are either missing the point or refuse to aknowledge it. The facts are that flukes(like the Zito game you mentioned) are very rare. But everyday you write how you were 100% correct on every single loss and its a rare occurance when youo just make a bad bet. The truth is after today you will have 159 losses i believe. How many are from flukes?
I agree and respect the fact that you put in a lot of time and hard work into this, I honestly do and I know how hard this is to do every single day. I do it everyday as well. However, hard work in this buisness doesnt deserve to get rewarded. Actually, hard work is something you should be proud of for yourself, regardless of the results, that you did your best and nothing less and live with the results, no regrets. But you keep saying that you deserve to be rewarded and it just doesnt work like that. It doesnt matter how many words you use everyday, 1000, 1500, or a million. I'd rather see just a pick and WIN than a long write up that loses followed by another long writeup explaining why your loss was just a fluke. Do you see what I mean? I actually think you may spend TOO MUCH time worrying about the write up and it may be affecting you judgement.
Please keep in mind also that your record from last year is just your word. Not that we dont believe you but it isnt documented anywhere. The only thing that is documented is what you are doing this year, which is not bad, but certainly not the level with which you build yourself to be. IMO, take a breath and move forward from here, let the losses go gracefully as losses and enjoy your wins and you will be fine. Of course this is just what ive been seeing since you started posting and of course id be happy to address anything with you about what I said. I wish you the best of luck however.

Tokens
Tough loss in Seattle......just go with more OVERs on your BB's! Good luck rest of the season.

Tokens
Think you are either missing the point or refuse to aknowledge it. The facts are that flukes(like the Zito game you mentioned) are very rare. But everyday you write how you were 100% correct on every single loss and its a rare occurance when youo just make a bad bet. The truth is after today you will have 159 losses i believe. How many are from flukes?
I agree and respect the fact that you put in a lot of time and hard work into this, I honestly do and I know how hard this is to do every single day. I do it everyday as well. However, hard work in this buisness doesnt deserve to get rewarded. Actually, hard work is something you should be proud of for yourself, regardless of the results, that you did your best and nothing less and live with the results, no regrets. But you keep saying that you deserve to be rewarded and it just doesnt work like that. It doesnt matter how many words you use everyday, 1000, 1500, or a million. I'd rather see just a pick and WIN than a long write up that loses followed by another long writeup explaining why your loss was just a fluke. Do you see what I mean? I actually think you may spend TOO MUCH time worrying about the write up and it may be affecting you judgement.
Please keep in mind also that your record from last year is just your word. Not that we dont believe you but it isnt documented anywhere. The only thing that is documented is what you are doing this year, which is not bad, but certainly not the level with which you build yourself to be. IMO, take a breath and move forward from here, let the losses go gracefully as losses and enjoy your wins and you will be fine. Of course this is just what ive been seeing since you started posting and of course id be happy to address anything with you about what I said. I wish you the best of luck however.

I'm trying to let the losses go gracefully but it's just too difficult sometimes, given the heart-breaking way they play out.

I don't mean to whine about this latest example, tonight's Padres/Mariners game, but I mean, it's becoming comical. 5-1, Under about to hit with one out in the bottom of the 9th and nobody on and Bud Black quizzackly takes out Luke Gregorson, one of the best late-inning relievers in the game, who had dominated his previous four batters in this game, to bring in lefty Joe Thatcher to face lefty Michael Saunders. What happens? Another bottom of the ninth homer to ruin my under. Whoever took the over obviously got LUCKY, considering you can't consider an over when it comes to the Padres dominant bullpen (One of the top five bullpens in baseball, despite how bad they are record-wise as a team).

They also got lucky because most people who had the over had no clue they would get five Padre runs off the great Felix Hernandez. One of the main reasons I made this under bet was because I had a good feeling about Clayton Richard, who was absolutely masterful tonight, despite his poor performances on the road. My bold prediction turns out 100-percent right and am I rewarded? Unfortunately not, as the very unusual occurence of the Padres late-inning bullpen blows it.

Sorry if that came off as more whining, as I don't mean to do that; just pointing out yet another strange, fluke-ish circumstance that cost me. Flukes happen, of course, but this is just yet another one in a longggg string of them that have plagued me all of this year.

Tokens
Tough loss in Seattle......just go with more OVERs on your BB's! Good luck rest of the season.

Lol doesn't work like that my man. If you go into a slate of games with the mindset specifically looking more for an over than an under, or vice versa, it's much more difficult to be successful because then you're basically tuning out part of the schedule or not giving proper and full focus to certain games. Luckily it was a small best bet but just another very curious loss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb52197
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com